|Town & Village Historian||MRS. MARY WILCOX||628-5652||Theresa 13691|
|Town Clerk||KIM A. DELLES||628-5046||215 Riverside Ave, Theresa 13691|
|Theresa Village Clerk||SYLVIA BUSH||628-4425||Municipal Office; PO Box 299; Theresa 13691|
|Theresa Free Library||CHRISTINE RAJNER||628-5972||Main & Pine Sts; Theresa 13691|
History of the Town of Theresa linked from "RAY'S PLACE" transcribed from OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE by EDGAR C. EMERSON, 1898
History of the Town of Theresa, taken fromA HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK by FRANKLIN B. HOUGH, A. M., M.D. linked from Shirley Farone's Home Page
Organized in 1977, this society averages over 600 members, and has microfilmed the Carthage Republican newspaper. The microfilm is deposited in the Carthage Library. They have published books. Their holdings include a working chapel, and a one room school. Carthage lies on the border of Lewis County, so that the society covers part of Lewis as well as the western townships of Jefferson County. The society collects material from three central school districts, the Copenhagen Central, Carthage Central, and Indian River school districts. This area includes parts of the townships of Theresa, Philadelphia, Antwerp, Le Ray, Wilna, and Champion. Their 21 directors represent the various communities within this area.
The Town of Theresa was one of the last to be settled in Jefferson County. Covered with thick timber, and the northern part of the town studded with lakes, settlers preferred more accessible lands. Though a road was opened from Evans Mills to Theresa High Falls, no permanent settlement was made until after 1817, when James D. Le Ray began to sell lots to pioneers. Theresa lies in the northern section of the county, surrounded by the Towns of Alexandria to the northwest, Orleans on the west, Le Ray on the south, and Philadelphia and Antwerp on the southeast. Northeast is St Lawrence County.
While today the lakes of Theresa, ranging from half a mile to several miles in length, are a sportsman's delight, they impeded the establishment of farms. They include Butterfield, Grass, Moon, Hyde, Crystal, Sixberry (named for Jefferson County's famous early hunter), Millsite, Red, Muskalonge, and Lake of the Woods. Not all are wholly within the Town of Theresa, some sharing borders with the Towns of Alexandria and Antwerp.
Theresa's main watercourse is the swift flowing Indian River, which enters the town from Le Ray and flows into St Lawrence County. Its high falls provided the site for Theresa village. The town was organized from the Town of Alexandria on 15 April 1841, named for a daughter of the early proprietor, James D. Le Ray. Theresa village is the only populated area within the town.
From the 1864 Jefferson County Atlas: a summary of statistics for Theresa ACRES OF LAND Improved 15,667 Unimproved 9,937 VALUATION Real Estate 357,934 Personal Property 89,380 Total 447,314 POPULATION Males 1,208 Females 1,200 Number of Dwellings 397 Number of Families 440 Freeholders 390 SCHOOLS Number of Districts 17 Children Taught 1,053 LIVE STOCK Horses 486 Working Oxen and Calves 1,065 Cows 1,808 Sheep 861 Swine 859 AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS Bushels of Grain Winter 2,427 Spring 40,000 Tons of Hay 4,177 1/2 Bushels of Potatoes 5,057 Bushels of Apples 640 Dairy Products Pounds of Butter 163,775 Pounds of Cheese 93,780 YARDS OF DOMESTIC MANUFACTURE 2,324
Names of the Early Settlers
BROOKS, JAMES, Dr
|CURTIS, Abiah |
CURTIS, Abiah C.
FLOWER, Nathan M.
HELMER, John G.
STROUGH, SAMUEL W.
YOST, NICHOLAS D.
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact: Nancy DixonReturn to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Copyright 2009 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project