Copied and arranged by volunteer Shirley Farone

Alexandria & Orleans: Part: 5

Part: 1Part: 2Part: 3Part: 4Part: 5Part: 6Part: 7Part: 8
Part: 9Part: 10Part: 11Part: 12Part: 13Part: 14Part: 15Part: 16


Lafargeville, Jan. 27. -- Mrs. Viletta A. Schnauber Haas, 77, widow of William Haas, died at her home here at 9:45 last night.

Mrs. Haas was born Jan. 15, 1864, in Clayton, a daughter of Louis and Angeline Halladay Schnauber. On Dec. 22, 1886, she was married to William Haas of Depauville by Rev. B. G. Blaisdell. Mr. Haas died May 4, 1928.

Two children, Elmer L. Haas of Lafargeville and Angeline, who died at the age of three weeks, were born to the couple. Among the survivors are five grandchildren, Elmereen Haas of Clayton, Wilson, Keith and Kent, of Lafargeville, and Mrs. Earl (Evelyn) Charlebois of Syracuse; and three great grandchildren, David Haas of Lafargeville, and Norma and Edward Charlebois of Syracuse.

Mrs. Haas was a member of the Lafargeville Methodist church and the Womenís Society of Christian Service.

Funeral services will be held Thursday at 1 p.m. at the home with Rev. B. J. Davidson, of Westernville, former pastor here, officiating. He will be assisted by Rev. Paul Roy of the Methodist church here. Mrs. Haas will be buried in her wedding dress in the Depauville cemetery.

Typistís Note: The date, 26 Jan. 1942, was written at the top of this obit.


Resolutions of Respect

Whereas it has been the will of the Divine Master to again come amoung us and take unto himself our aged and respected brother, william Schnauber, whose name is enrolled amoung our charter members, and whose faithfulness has ever contrinude, in the years, until the imfirmaties of old age formed a bearer and kept him at home.

Whereas our brother served many years as treasurer in our order, and guarded with fidelity every interest of his office. Given in his last days his thoughts were with us, inquiring many times of our well fare and regretting that he could not meet with us again.

Therefore be it resolved, that we as Patrons of Husbandry, regret the loss of our faithful brother and extend to the bereaved family our sympathy.

Resolved that our Charter be draped in mourning for thirty days, these resolutions be spread on the records of our Grange and printed in the Times and sent to the family.

Edward Herrick
Edward Bertram, Jr.
Mrs. E. D. Herrick

Redwood, Jan. lst, 1912.



Kirkland Grange

We as sisters and brothers of Kirkland Grange No. 684 are again called upon to pay a last sad tribute to the memory of our dear sister Regina Schnauber.

After a long illness of pain and suffering the Lord kindly relieved and called her home to rest in that beautiful home over there.

Resolved that in the death of our sister, the Grange has lost an honored and respected member.

Resolved that this Grange tender its sincere sympathy to the family of the disceased and be it further

Resolved that this resolution be spread upon the minutes of the Grange and printed in the papers and tendered to the family also that our charter be draped in mourning for thirty days.

Mr. E. Bertram
Mrs. E. D. Herrick
Henry A. Hartman
June 15, 1915.



Redwood, April 26. -- The death of Mrs. Mary Getman Handshuh, who had been ailing for some time, occurred at her home on Main street Wednesday morning at 2:30 due to a complication of diseases.

Funeral services will be held on Friday at 1:30 p.m. at the home and 2 p.m. at St. Paulís Lutheran church. Rev. H. B. Kruse officiating. Interment will be in Redwood cemetery.

Surviving are her husband, John Handshuh, two sons, Ray and Howard of Redwood; one daughter Mrs. Lulu Spencer of Alexandria Bay; two brothers, William and Louis Getman of Redwood; one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Favret of Redwood; and five grandchildren, Ronald, DeForest and William Handshuh, Redwood, Miss Uurine Spencer, Alexandria Bay and Mrs. Ruth Hofferberth, Redwood.

Mrs. Handshuh was the daughter of Jacob and Margaret Getman and was born in Germany, Jan. 24, 1869. She came to this country with her parents in 1885. Her marriage with John Handshuh took place Dec. 4, 1890 and they lived on the farm near Redwood until 1921 when they moved to the village.

Typistís Note: 1928 was written at the top of this obit.



Adams Center, March 11.-- Mrs. Elizabeth Schwartz Hamilton, 63, wife of Fred J Hamilton, died at her home in Adams Center, R. D., Wednesday afternoon at 2:30.

Mrs. Hamilton was born in Germany, Feb. 18, 1874, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Phillip Schwartz. She was married to Fred J. Hamilton at Lafargeville, on July 4, 1896.

Following the marriage Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton resided at Stone Mills until March, 1934, when they moved to the town of Hounsfield. They later moved to Adams Center in December, 1935, and after residing in this village for one year they moved to the present home on the Adams Center rural route, Nov. 1, 1936.

Mrs. Hamilton was a member of the German Lutheran church at Redwood.

Surviving besides the husband are two sons, Homer P. Hamilton, at home, and Floyd S. Hamilton of Star Route, Fulton; also two grandchildren. Also surviving are one half brother and three half-sisters in Germany.

Funeral services will be held Saturday at the home at 1 p.m., with Rev. Fred Vogt, pastor of the German Lutheran church of Watertown, officiating. Burial will be in the Adams Center cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1938 was written at the top of this obit.



Theresa Man Dies in Ogdensburg Hospital--Funeral to Be Held Tuesday at 2 P. M. in the Giltz Home at Theresa.

Theresa, Jan. 4. -- Fred Schwartz, 58, one time member of the old Red and Black football team of Watertown and former member of Company 1 of the Watertown fire department and driver of the three-horse hitch of the old steamer, died at a hospital at Ogdensburg Sunday forenoon after an illness of several months. Death came from heart disease from which he had suffered for the past two years.

He was born Nov. 9, 1878, in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany, son of Philip and Elizabeth Schwartz. When a boy his parents came to this country, locating in Redwood. The father talked of buying a farm but it was hard for him to learn the language and he returned to Germany. Fred Schwartz, then a young man, decided to remain as did a sister. It was soon after that he moved to Watertown where he became a member of the old Red and Black and a member of the fire department. On May 22, 1905, he married Miss Jessie Belle Bevell, the marriage taking place at the Church of the Redeemer rectory, performed by Rev. Mr. Shaw.

Soon after the marriage Mr. Schwartz became a cheesemaker, working for the late Adam Bickelhaupt and for eleven years for J. Vock & Son. He served as deputy sheriff for a term. He then purchased a place on the Oxbow road, some three miles out of this village.

He is survived by his wife, a sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Hamilton of Adams Center. There is also a half brother and three half sisters who reside in Germany. He was a member of the Lutheran church at Redwood.

The funeral services will be held from the Charles A. Giltz funeral home in this village Tuesday at 2 p.m., Rev. Richard Henderson of the Lutheran church, Redwood, officiating. The body will be placed in the vault in Oakwood cemetery, awaiting burial in the spring.

Typistís Note: The year, 1937, was handwritten at the top of this obit.



Depauville, Jan. 10. -- Horace P. Schnauber, 50, lifelong resident of the town of Clayton, died at his home near Gunnís Corners this morning at 7:30 following a heart attack.

He was born in the town of Clayton June 10, 1893, a son of William and Sarah Garlock Schnauber. He married Miss May Hartlein Dec. 17, 1914. The wedding ceremony was performed by Rev. J. E. Eldridge, pastor of the LaFargeville Methodist church.

He was a member of the Methodist church of Depauville and served as a trustee of the Depauville Cemetery Association. He belonged to the Depauville Grange.

He sold his farm and moved to the adjoining Beckwith farm last week.

He is survived by his widow, an adopted son, Pfc. Howard Schnauber of the United States Marines somewhere in the Pacific war area; an adopted daughter, Mrs. Albert (Harriet) March of Buffalo; a stepmother, Mrs. William Schnauber of Depauville; a brother, Vernet Schnauber, and a half-brother, William Schnauber, both of Depauville; a sister, Mrs. Ross (Josephine) Hartlein of Lafargeville.

Funeral services will be Thursday afternoon at 2 at his home and at 2:30 from the Depauville Methodist church. Rev. Louis Bruce, pastor of the Methodist church, will officiate, assisted by Rev. A. D. Evans, pastor of the Stone church of Depauville. Burial will be in the Depauville cemetery.

Typistís Note: 10 Jan. 1944 was handwritten at the top of this obit.



Funeral To Be Held Saturday Afternoon With Burial in Redwood

Redwood: Although in failing health for several years, the death of Mrs. George King, 67, of Calaboga, came quite unexpectedly, Wednesday afternoon at four oíclock. Stricken suddenly, Mrs. King passed away before medical aid could be summoned. Dr. Thomas Lewis, Hammond was called and pronounced death due to complications of diseases.

Mrs. King was born September 28, 1871, in Hammond, daughter of the late Thomas and Eliza Fox. She was married to George King of Hammond at the home of her parents on August 16, 1893.

Well and favorably known Mrs. King was a Silver Star member of the Redwood Grange and a member of the St. Paulís Lutheran church, Redwood.

Surviving besides her husband are three daughters, Mrs. Floyd Stine, Redwood; Mrs. Taylor Billings and Mrs. Ross Edgar of Hammond; and four sons, Floyd King of LaFargeville, Elmer of Hammond, Harold of Watertown and Earl of Alexandria Bay, three sisters Mrs. Frederick Daab of Theresa; Mrs. Frederick Dickhaut of Browns Corners; Mrs. Allen McClean of Rochester; one brother Thomas Fox of Hammond and twelve grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held at the home on Saturday afternoon at two oíclock with Rev. Richard F. Henderson officiating. Interment will be made in the Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: 6 July 1938 was handwritten at the top of this obit.



Passes Away While Lying on Couch at His Farm Home in South Hammond

South Hammond: Bruce M. Shindler, 67, died suddenly of a heart attack while lying on a couch on the porch of his home on the Ogdensburg highway at South Hammond. Dr. Thomas A. Lewis of Hammond was summoned and pronounced him dead.

He was born in Alexandria Bay, December 2, 1870, the son of James and Margaret Ann Elliott Shindler. His mother, now 89, makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Horace Walts of Alexandria Bay. For a number of years he drove the stagecoach between Redwood and the Bay, but about 24 years ago purchased the farm on which he died.

He was twice married. His first wife, the former Miranda Filow died in 1899, and on December 18, 1901, he married Minnie Sourwine of Alexandria Bay, who survives. He was a member of the Redwood Grange.

Besides his wife and mother, he is survived by two sons, Harold and Herschel; two sisters, Mrs. Wm. England of Pittsburg (sic), Pa., and Mrs. Horace Walts of Alexandria Bay.

The funeral will be held Friday afternoon at 1:30 from the home with burial in Lafargeville.

Typistís Note: July 5, 1938, appeared at the top of this obit.



Boonville, Feb. 7.----Mrs. Catherine Dickhaut Schnauber, 83, widow of George Schnauber of Redwood, died Thursday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. L.D. Pickert, 12 Church street this village. Mrs. Schnauber, who had been residing with her daughter since July, had been in ill health since last May.

Mrs. Schnauber was born in Redwood Dec. 31, 1857, a daughter of the late George and Phillapine Hartman Dickhaut. She was married in 1880 to George Schnauber of Redwood. He died in September, 1924.

Mrs. Schnauber was a member of the St. Paul's Lutheran church of Redwood and of the Dorcas society of that church. She was also a charter member of the Kirkland grange.

She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. L. D. Pickert of Boonville, and one grandson, Marshal M. Cook of Lagos, West Africa.

A son, Lawrence Schnauber, died in 1899, and a younger son, Elmer Schnauber, died in 1921.

The body was shipped to Redwood where funeral services will be held at the St. Paul's Lutheran church Saturday at 2 p.m. Rev. Richard Henderson, pastor, will officiate and burial will be in Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: Throughout this obit, the name, Schnauber, was spelled as Schnauper. The date, Feb. 5, 1941, was handwritten at the top of this obit.




Mrs. Mary Haas, widow of the late Lewis Haas, died at 1:30 Thursday morning, June 16 at her home on Church street, aged 74. Mrs. Haas had been in ill health for some time.

She was born in Clayton, Feb. 21, 1853 and has always lived in this section of the country.

Mrs. Haas is survived by one daughter, Miss Ina Haas, with whom she made her home; one son Edward L. Haas; two brothers, Gus and George Schnauber of Depauville; two sisters, Mrs. J. M. Linell (sic) of Clayton and Mrs. C. M. Lowe of Depauville; and one granddaughter, Gladys Haas.

The funeral was held from the home Sunday afternoon, June 19, the Rev. Oliver E. Raymond, officiating.

Typistís Note: The date, 16 June 1927, appeared at the top left of this obit. On the top right, appeared the date 1938 with the word, ďwrongĒ in parenthesis.



Redwood, Sept. 6. -- The death of Mrs. Nancy Watson, widow of John Watson, occurred at the home of her son, John Watson, Wednesday. Mrs. Watson had been in ill health for several years. She lived in Redwood all her life, with the exception of two years in Dakota.

Mrs. Watson was born June 3, 1845, and in 1868 was married to John Watson. There were two children, both of whom are living, John of Redwood and Arthur of Ottawa. Other relatives surviving are one sister, Mrs. Isabelle Mitchell of New Rochelle, a niece, Mrs. Bert McClear, and a nephew, Delos M. Cosgrove, of Watertown. The funeral will take place at 9 Friday morning, the officiating clergyman being Rev. J. T. Desjardines. Burial will be in Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1928 was written at the top of this obit.


Neighbors Call at Spiesí Home Last Evening and Serve Dinner--Program Given

Lived for Many Years on Farm Near Butterfield Lake--Mr. Spies Treasurer of St. Paulís Church for Last 30 Years

REDWOOD, Jan. 24. -- Mr. and Mrs. William Spies were given a surprise party last evening at their home. The occasion was the 50th anniversary of their wedding.

A number of relatives and friends gathered at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ahles at 5 p.m. and from there went to the Spies home nearby. They found Mr. and Mrs. Spies alone sitting in comfort in the kitchen and getting ready for the evening meal. As one after the other of the party trooped in and showered them with congratulations they began to realize the significance of the occasion and were overcome. They were thoroughly surprised. The self invited guests brought full baskets with them and while the bridal couple were ushered into the front room preparations were made for supper. The dining room was prettily decorated with crepe paper in a color scheme of yellow and white. A large golden basket of yellow daffodils formed the centerpiece. This was a gift from the children of Mr. and Mrs. Spies. Everything in the room carried out the thought of the golden anniversary. Before the anniversary couple there was a huge wedding cake with a miniature bride and bridegroom on it. Besides that there was a wedding cake with 50 candles. After the guests were seated the Rev. H. B. Krusa presented the bridal couple with gold pieces and numerous other gifts and read the many greetings from friends far and near. After supper cards and other games were enjoyed.

Mr. and Mrs. William Spies were married at Lafargeville January 23, 1878, at the home of the bride whose maiden name was Elizabeth Margaret Schaber (sic.) The Rev. F. L. Braun, pastor of St. Paulís Lutheran Church, Redwood, performed the ceremony. Miss Katherine Spies and John Zoller were the witnesses. Mr. and Mrs. Spies spent the first year at Lafargeville at the Schaber (sic) farm, then they moved to Redwood where Mr. Spies worked in the glass works. In 1880 they bought the farm at the end of Butterfield Lake which later through their occupancy became known as the Spies Homestead. The farm is known by the three story barn which was built against the ledge and open upon the field on the hill.

Many are the wonderful tales Mr. Spies tells of the life on the farm, of the snowfalls and ice crops, of great woodchopping feats and big fish caught. In 1911 they moved to the village and built the cement block house which has been their home ever since. Their interest in affairs is still keen. Mr. Spies has been treasurer of St. Paulís Lutheran Congregation for more than 30 years and Mrs. Spies is still active in the Dorcas society. Among those present were their five children, Mr. and Mrs. John Spies and daughters, Helen, Frieda and Ruth, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Spies and sons, George and Paul, Miss Amelia Spies, Miss Lydia Spies, Herman Spies of Watertown. Of the relatives and friends there were Mrs. Katherine Zoller, Mr. and Mrs. Ross Zoller and daugher, Gladys, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Zoller, Mrs. Richard Zoller and son, Kenneth, Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Williams of Plessis, Edward Spies, John Hartman, Alice Hartman, Rev. H. B. Krusa, Mrs. Henrietta Ebeling, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Getman, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Felder, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ahles, Mrs. J. Miller of Syracuse, Mrs. Parmelia Masters and son, Harold, Mrs. J. Colgrove, Mrs. Ida Ryan, Miss Laura Warnick of Watertown.

Typistís Note: The year, 1929, was handwritten at the top of this write-up.



(Special To The Times.)

Carthage, April 19. -- Miss Florence M. Kring, 31, died at the home of Mrs. Clara Houghton on the River road at 1:30 a.m. this morning.

Mrs. Kring was born in the town of Alexandria, a daughter of the late Andrew Kring and Emma Conant Kring. She had resided in the vicinity of Redwood all her life. She was ill for two days at the Tooker home in Felts Mills and was moved Wednesday afternoon to the home of her sister, Mrs. Clara Houghton, where she died.

Surviving are four sisters, Mrs. Clara Houghton, Carthage, Mrs. Martha L. Nash, East Rochester, Mrs. Fred W. Spies, Redwood, Mrs. Herbert G. Flath, Redwood and one brother, Martin C. Kring, R. F. D. Oswego.

Funeral services will be held from the Methodist Episcopal church of Redwood, Saturday at 2 p.m. Prayers will be held at the Rosebrook Funeral home at 12 m. (sic) the same day.

Typistís Note: The year, 1928, was handwritten at the top of this obit.



Redwood, Jan. 3. -- Fred Carmon has announced the marriage of his daughter, Miss Ruth Mary Carmon, to Lawrence A. Roy of Alexandria Bay. The marriage took place Nov. 19 at the Congregational parsonage, Philadelphia, Rev. Cecil H. Plumull officiating Mr. Roy is the son of Mr. and Mrs. William Roy of Alexandria Bay, and has been employed at the Thousand Island Sun office for the past five years. The couple will make their home in Redwood with Mrs. Royís father.

Typistís Note: The year, 1928, was written at the top of this article.



Funeral services for the late Mrs. Maria W. Hartman, 78, wife of Peter B. Hartman, 78, wife of Peter B. Hartman, 41 Wise building, who died at her home Wednesday afternoon, will be held Saturday afternoon at 2:30 at the Howland mortuary, Rev. F. K. Vogt of the Concordia Lutheran church officiating.

Interment will be at North Watertown cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1928 was handwritten at the top of this obit.


Well Known Musician Had Been in Ill Health for About Three Months

Had Long Been Prominent in Musical Circles of City--Services Will Be Held at Trinity Church

Franz Rudolph Schmid, well known in Watertown as a band leader and piano manufacturer, died at his home, No. 111 Paddock street at 5:45 oíclock Wednesday afternoon aged 59 years, following an illness of 13 weeks from septic poisoning or septic endocarditis brought on through a diseased condition of the teeth. For some time no hope has been held out for the recovery of Mr. Schmid as his disease is nearly always fatal. Death came very easily to Mr. Schmid. For some time he had been in a semi-conscious condition and at the time death occurred was totally unconscious.

Mr. Schmidt (sic) was born in Carthage August 6, 1863, the son of Joseph and Anna Apstag Schmid,. Mr. Schmidís father was a native of Bavaria and his mother was a Swiss. After spending a few years in Carthage the family moved to Lowville where Mr. Schmid learned the trade of cabinet making. His father had been in the furniture business in Carthage and he had acquired a liking for that business at that time. It was in Lowville, too, that Mr. Schmid laid the foundation for his musical career which later made him so well known. Coming from a musical family he took great interest in music and studied the cornet. As a young man Mr. Schmid and a friend, Frank Thompson, of Lowville put on a musical act in which Thompson would finger the valves of the cornet as Mr. Schmid blew on the instrument. The act was called the Swiss duet.

In 1886 he was married to Miss Jennie Finch, daughter of E. C. Finch of Lowville, owner and editor of the Lowville Democrat. Following his marriage he and his wife moved to Rochester and stayed there until 1890 when they returned to Carthage. In partnership with F. D. OíKief Mr. Schmid entered the furniture manufacturing business. The panic of 1893 caused the firm to dissolve and Mr. Schmid left for New York where he learned the piano business from the ground up. He then returned to Carthage and there started the manufacture of pianos.

The pianos made by Mr. Schmid in Carthage were the first and probably the only ones ever made in Jefferson county. The first order made up was 25 pianos and when these were sold 75 more were made. In the manufacture of these pianos Mr. Schmid did nearly all the work including the veneering, tuning and sale. He also obtained two patents on improvements which he invented. The first piano which he sold went to F. W. Colburn, president of the First National Bank of Carthage. The first piano which he ever made he kept and it is now the possession of his son, who intends to make a present of it to the Jefferson County Historical Society when he is through with it.

In 1896 upon request of Col. J. M. Boyer head of the National Guard in Watertown, to come to Watertown to instruct the 39th Separate Company band. Mr. Schmid responded and built up a very creditable military musical organization. At this time he composed several pieces of band music including the 39th Separate Company March which was made famous by Sousa and the Zuleika waltz. In 1905 when the famous Red and Black football team played in Madison Square Garden under the management of the late J. B. Wise, Mr. Schmid as leader of the Fourth Battalion band accompanied the team and the band gave daily concerts. At this time he attracted considerable attention as a cornet soloist and received several very flattering offers to play with famous bands.

In 1906 Mr. Schmid and his family moved to Watertown. It was hoped by Mr. Schmid to be able to increase the capital of his business and increase production. However the Hallett & Davis Company induced Mr. Schmid to take over the distribution of their product. He opened a store in the Lansing block to sell pianos in 1906 and had been there ever since.

Mr. Schmidís memory will ever be enshrined in the memory of members of the musical fraternity with whom he was associated. He was always eager to lend his help in the furtherance of music and many of the present day musicians owe their start to the help given by ďPopĒ Schmid as he was known to all his friends. In his later years he had a band of his own and was also the director of the Shrine band of the local temple. This band was formed by Mr. Schmid about six years ago and has built up an enviable reputation in Masonic circles.

Mr. Schmid was a member of many fraternal organizations in the city including the F. and A. M., Watertown Commandery, Knights Templar, Media Temple and the Elks. He was a communicant of Trinity church.

The funeral arrangements have not as yet been finally completed. The funeral will be held from Trinity Church Sunday afternoon at 2:30 oíclock. Burial will be in Brookside.



Canton, Sept. 19. -- Miss Vera Grace Ferguson, local telephone operator, and John F. McCarthy were married Tuesday morning at St. Maryís church in Potsdam. Rev. T. J. Mahoney performed the ceremony. Miss Helen Duffy of Potsdam played the wedding march.

The couple was attended by Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Sanderson of Canton, brother-in-law and sister of the bride.

The bride was gowned in georgette crepe of independence blue, with hat to match, and carried a bouquet of Ophella roses. Mrs. Sanderson was dressed in deep tan sat, and wore a tan hat.

Following the ceremony a wedding breakfast was served at the home of the brideís mother.

Mr. and Mrs. McCarth (sic) , left during the day for a motor trip which will take them as far as New York city. They expect to be away about two weeks and on their return will reside at 22 Miner street.

Mr. McCarthy is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel McCarthy of Potsdam. He is employed by the state highway department.

Typistís Note: 1928 was handwritten at the top of this write-up.



Whereas, it has pleased the Divine Master to remove from this world our brother granger, Byron Simes, therefore, be it

Resolved, That we tender to his bereaved family our heartfelt sympathy in the loss of a devoted husband and father.

Resolved, That, a copy of these resolutions be sent to the family and spread on the minutes of our grange.

Mrs. James Lambert
Mrs. George Roy.
Kirkland Grange, Redwood, N. Y. July 2, 1928.



L. D. Mathews, Locomotive Engineer, Takes Life at Guilfoyle Apartment

Penned By Mathews on March 22, It Tells of Suicide Plans Because of ďHeaps of TroubleĒ -- Man Estranged From Wife--Statement From Mrs. Cochrane Sought

Leslie D. Mathews, 48, locomotive engineman, Guilfoyle apartments, Stone street, shot and killed himself this morning at 8:30 with a .38 caliber Smith & Wesson revolver, after seriously wounding Mrs. Grace G. Cochrane, 35, of 916 Salina street. The shooting took place in the third floor apartment of Mathews. Police are attempting to learn how the woman came to be in the apartment.

Twice Mathews fired at the woman, who is employed as saleslady at the Lennon & Clarke store, Arsenal street, only one bullet striking her. The other missed the woman by inches, police say. Mrs. Cochrane, who is at the Mercy hospital in a serious condition, suffered a wound in the right side of the cheek, and the left side of the face below the jaw, where the bullet made its exit. She will recover, Dr. F. R. Calkins believes.

Police were called a few minutes after the shooting. When they arrived they found Mathews, lying on the floor of the apartment kitchenette, dead. There was a bullet wound in the right temple. The bullet, police found, left through the left side of the face. Matthews, who was on his back, had the revolver clenched in his right hand.

The woman was found on the second floor of the apartment building. She was supporting herself on the railing, when Dennis E. Guilfoyle, the apartment owner, and two of his assistants rushed to her aid. Mrs. Cochrane had crawled from the place where the shooting occurred on the top floor to the second floor, on her hands and knees.

Mr. Gulfoyle had summoned Dr. J. Monroe Smith as soon as he was informed of the tragedy by Mrs. Carrie Barkley, who is maid at the apartment building. When the physician arrived, he examined Mrs. Cochraneís wounds and ordered her to the hospital at once. She was tkan to the hospital in the Guilfoyle ambulance.

Suicide Note Found.

The fact that Mathews had been contemplating suicide for some time was revealed this morning in a note that was found by Assistant District Attorney Howard B. Donaldson, who investigated the case. The note was among Mathewsí personal effects in his apartment.

ďTrouble for years has been heaped upon me,Ē Mathews wrote in the note, which revealed that he had planned to commit suicide for several days. The note carefully written in ink on linen paper, was dated March 22.

There was no place in the note, however, in which Mrs. Cochraneís name was mentioned nor was there any other persons mentioned, who Mathews held responsible for all of his trouble. The note continued:

ďI wish to make public in case lifeís struggle reaches an end in my life that trouble has been heaped upon me and I see no end to the trouble that has made living burdensome, depriving me of my friends and associates. I honestly exonerate any living soul, near friend or person responsible for the end. I am very much depressed to leave my good friends who have helped me carry the sorrows and burdens. To this end God bless them and their kindness rest with me forever. So good-bye, dear friends and mother, who knows my sorrows. God protect her.Ē

Mrs. Cochrane Questioned.

Although the investigation by the county officials and city police has not been started, it is expected the inquest will be held this afternoon. The officers were at the hospital this morning and talked with Mrs. Cochrane, who said that she went to the Guilfoyle apartment to see Mrs. Barkley about some furs. She told the assistant district attorney that she hardly knew Mathews and was not interested in him.

At the Lennon & Clarke store this morning Dennis H. Clarke, one of the partners said he understood that Mrs. Cochrane had gone to the Guilfoyle apartment ďon some business about furs.Ē He said that he believed Mrs. Cochrane knew Mr. Mathews as he had often come into the store to make small purchases and he usually made them from Mrs. Cochrane, who is a saleslady in the store.

The assistant district attorney said that he would probably call at the hospital late this afternoon and try to obtain an affidavit from Mrs. Cochrane regarding the shooting. He said that her condition was such this morning that he did not want to talk with her long. It is expected that several other witnesses will be called this afternoon and sworn.

The body of Mathews is being held at the Guilfoyle morgue and a post morten (sic) will be performed this afternoon by Dr. J. Monroe Smith.

The officials were unable to explain this morning why Mrs. Cochraneís coat was in Mathewsí apartment, when she had gone to the Guilfoyle apartment to see Mrs. Barkley. It is understood from persons in the apartment that Mrs. Cochrane arrived at the Guilfoyle apartment about 8:30.

It was learned that about 8:45 Mrs. Cochrane rushed down the corridor on the third floor of the building and told Mrs. Barkley that Mathews had threatened to shoot her. She asked Mrs. Barkley to go to Mathewsí apartment and get her coat. Mrs. Barkley refused but said she would accompany her to the door.

Typistís Note: The year, 1928, was written at the top of this item.



Joseph P. Schreiner, 62, 252 Central street, died at his home early Monday evening. His death was the result of heart trouble.

Mr. Schreiner was for many years employed as a painter by the H. H. Babcock company. In 1912 he suffered an injury to his left leg when he struck his ankle on a stick in the yard at his home. The injury apparently healed but later began to trouble him, necessitating an operation. The leg was amputated just above the knee in 1916.

Since his injury Mr. Schreiner had conducted an auto paint shop at his home.

He had lived in this city for 40 years, coming here from Buffalo, where he was born Aug. 17, 1866. He married Miss Annabelle Thomas.

Mr. Schreiner was an active member of Emmanuel Congregational church. He was a member of the Wasoc club.

Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Annabelle Thomas Schreiner, this city; one son, Hartley Schreiner, this city; four brothers, Leo, Charles, John and William Schreiner, all of Buffalo, and two sisters, Mrs. Lena Saultzman and Mrs. Kate Smith, both of Buffalo. His only daughter, Mrs. Kenneth Nims, of Watertown, died in December, last year.

Funeral services will be held from the home, 252 Central street, Thursday afternoon at 2, Rev. F. Jefferson Neal of the Emmanuel Congregational church officiating. Interment will be in North Watertown cemetery.

Typistís Note: The year, 1928, was handwritten at the top of this obit.



Redwood, Oct. 24. -- Gladys Walton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Walton, and Lee Shoulette, son of Mr. and Mrs. Cornelius Shoulette, both of Redwood, were united in marriage at the Catholic church Monday morning. Rev. J. T. Despardines (sic) officiated. The young couple left for a motor trip to Ohio, where they will visit relatives of the bride. They will make their home on the farm.

Typistís Note: 1928, was handwritten over this obit.



Bride Formerly Dietician at House of the Good Samaritan in Watertown.

Gouverneur, March 5. -- A pretty wedding was performed at 4 Saturday afternoon at the residence of Dr. James M. Payson, D. D., in Canton when Miss Mary Carolyn Van Duzee of this village became the bride of Karl H. Leonhardt of Potsdam.

The couple was attended by Mr. and Mrs. Harold G. Leonhardt, brother and sister-in-law of the bridegroom. Dr. Payson was instructor of the two young people when they attended St. Lawrence university.

The bride was attired in a gown of old rose georgette with hat and shoes to match. Her maid of honor was dressed in a chin chin blue geogette with ecru lace and pearls.

Following the marriage ceremony, the wedding party came to Gouverneur to the home of the brideís parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Van Duzee, in William street, where a dinner was served to the immediate families. The couple then left for a short wedding trip, after which they will make their home in Potsdam.

The bride is the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Van Duzee of this village. Her father is postmaster here. She attended the local schools, being graduated from Gouverneur High school with the class of 1923. Later she attended the state school of agriculture, home economics department, at St. Lawrence university, Canton, graduating with the class of 1925.

She was employed as dietitian for nine month at Kingston avenue hospital, Department of Health, New York, and for one year was dietitian at the House of the Good Samaritan, Watertown.

Mr. Leonhardt is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Leonhardt of Alexandria Bay. His father is postmaster at Alexandria Bay and well known throughout that section. He received his education at Alexandria Bay and was graduated from Alexandria Bay High school in 1923. He also attended the state school at Canton and was graduated in 1926. For one year he was the official agent for the Gouverneur Dairy Improvement association and at present is employed in the Potsdam store of the G. L. F. Corporation.

The couple will be at home to their friends 81 Maple street, Potsdam, after March 15.

Typistís Note: The year, 1928, appeared at the top of this write-up.



Alexandria Bay, Feb. 17. -- Forty-eight friends of Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Avery gathered at their home on Church street Wednesday evening, their 40th wedding anniversary. Charles Overacker, who was present, was best man at their wedding, Feb. 15, 1888.

Mr. Avery has held the position of customs officer for the past 30 years. A supper was served at which Peter Savage, Melvin Merrill, Ed Herrick, Charles Overacker, Charles Garlock, Henry Leonhardt and Charles Haas spoke. Mr. Haas recalling the time when they were boys together.

Mrs. Will Heath then presented Mr. and Mrs. Avery with a handsome chair, with the best wishes of their many friends.

Those present were:

Mrs. Alonzo Elmore, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Swan, Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Merrill, Mr. and Mrs. George Cooke, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Overacker, Miss Geneva Overacker, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Batchelder, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Haas, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Leonhardt, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Carris, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Garlock, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Garlock, Mr. and Mrs. Will Heath and son, James, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Hallam, Mr. and Mrs. Stuart Blount, Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Houghton, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Herrick, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Savage, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Van Brocklin, Miss Rachel Van Brocklin, Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Barker and Mr. and Mrs. Harold Leonhardt.

Typistís Note: The year, 1928, appeared on this item.



Operated Large Amateur Radio Station While Living Here--Had Worked in Albany For Telephone Company.

Word was received in this city today of the death of Frederick L. Ganter, 29, former resident of this city, in Albany Monday morning. Mr. Ganter was employed by the New York Telephone Company and entered his office in the telephone building at 8:30 in the morning. He dropped dead while crossing his office to his desk.

Mr. Ganter was born in the town of Pamelia, Nov. 29, 1898, a son of Frederick and Lydia Schaber Gantre (sic), both of whom died a short time after Mr. Ganterís birth. He resided with his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Philip Schaber in Lafargeville and attended the local schools. He later resided with an uncle, George Scaber (sic) and then came to this city where he resided with his other grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Constantine Ganter of William street.

He graduated from the Watertown High school and then from Union college six years ago. While a student at Union he was elected president of the Radio club of Union college. While resided in this city he built an amateur wireless station in his home.

Upon graduation from Union he went to New York city where he was employed for two years by the telephone company and was transferred to Albany four years ago. His home was at Delmar, about five miles from Albany.

The body will be brought to this city Thursday morning by R. H. Ganter, Pamelia, an uncle of Mr. Ganter, and Mrs. Mary Ganter, 564 State street, his grandmother, who went to Albany Monday morning immediately after receiving word of his death.

He is survived by his wife, Lillian Cummins Ganter, two sons, Warren and Harvey, all of Albany; his grandmother, Mrs. Constantine Ganter; four uncles, R. H. Ganter, Pamelia; George F. Ganter, 212 William street and George and Lewis Schaver (sic) residing in Rochester. He was a grandson of the late Constantine Ganter, a well known resident of this city.

The services will be held Thursday afternoon at 2 from the home of George F. Ganter, 212 William street, Rev. F. K. Vogt, pastor of the Concordia Lutheran church officiating. Burial will be in North Watertown.



Omar, Nov. 6. -- William S. Patterson, 83, passed away at his home in this village Saturday, Nov. 3, after a long illness.

Mr. Patterson was born on Ash Island, Ont., one of the Thousand Islands, in the St. Lawrence river, Aug. 17, 1845, the son of the late Stephen and Emily Patterson. About 50 years ago he came to this country and since that time he had lived at Alexandria Bay, Hammond, and Omar. On Feb. 22, 1875, he was married to Miss Alta Fowler.

Surviving are his wife and eight children, Mrs. Oscar Munson, Dexter; Walter Patterson and Wellington Patterson, Omar; Austin Patterson, Alexandria; Mrs. Charles Thraves, Fernwood; John Patterson, Morristown; Ernest Patterson, Adams and Mrs. Gordon Ward, Grindstone; one brother, John Patterson Canada; 20 grandchildren and two great grandsons, and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services were held Monday morning at 11 from Omar church. Interment was made at Morristown.

Typistís Note: The year, 1928, was handwritten at the top of this obit.



(Special to The Times.)

Plessis, March 29. -- Joseph Helmer, a prominent resident, died this noon at his home. He was about 70 years old and had lived in this vicinity for the past 30 years or more. Mr. Helmer had been in poor health for about a year.

Surviving him are his widow, Mrs. Kitty Helmer and a daughter, Mrs. Grace Hardy of Philadelphia.

Mr. Helmer was a farmer and a member of the Grange.

The funeral arrangements are incomplete.



Herman A. Spies of 145 Arsenal street and Miss Laura Barbara Margaret Warnick of 118 West Main street were married at 6:30 Saturday evening in the Evangelical Concordia Lutheran church. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Frederick K. Vogt, pastor of the church, the attendants being the Misses Lydia and Amelia Spies of Redwood, sister of the bridegroom; and Miss Lena Warnick of Alexandria Bay, sister of the bride.

Following the ceremony a wedding supper for the bridal party was held at the Hotel Woodruff, the couple then leaving for a motor trip, the destination of which was not announced. Upon their return they will reside in Watertown.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Spies are well known in Watertown. Mrs. Spies is the proprietor of the Arcade Beauty shop and was for several years manager of the beauty parlor at the Hotel Woodruff. She is originally from Detroit, Mich., but has made her home in this city for a number of years.

Mr. Spies is well known in Watertown where he has been engaged as a salesman for Perl W. Devendorf. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. William Spies of Redwood, a prominent family of that village.

Typistís Note: 1929 was handwritten at the top of this write-up.



Couple Attended By Mr. and Mrs. Leo J. Devine, Daughter and Son-in-Law of the Bride--Leave For California on Wedding Trip.

Mrs. Mary M. Quinn, well known resident of this city, was married at 7 this morning to Joseph A. McHugh, also of Watertown. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Joseph L. Cole at St. Patrickís church. Mr. and Mrs. Leo J. Devine, daughter and son-in-law of the bride, were the attendants.

For the ceremony, the bride had chosen a costume of cocoa brown and immediately following a wedding breakfast for the immediate family was served at the brideís home, 319 Arsenal street. The couple then left for an extensive wedding trip. They will stop at New Orleans for a period and then go by way of the Sunset trail to California returning to this city in March.

Mrs. Quinn is well known in this city. She is the widow of the late Cornelius Quinn who died in 1920 of septic pneumonia after a brief illness. Mrs. Quinn has been a resident of Watertown for the past 26 years coming here from Potsdam after her marriage to Mr. Quinn who was a locomotive engineer on the New York Central railroad. She has one daughter, Mrs. Catheryn J. Devine, who before her marriage was a member of the faculty of the Lansing street school.

Mr. McHugh who has resided at the Y. M. C. A. in this city for the past two years, is also a locomotive engineer on the St. Lawrence division of the New York Central railroad. He has been with the New York Central for the past 22 years coming originally from Redwood. Upon their return from the wedding trip, Mr. and Mrs. McHugh will make their home at 319 Arsenal street.

Typistís Note: 1929 was handwritten at the top of this write-up.



Rev. C. E. Hastings, Pastor of Theresa Methodist Episcopal Church, Performs the Ceremony

Theresa, July 12. -- Percy E. Ball, principal of the Dekalb Junction high school, and Leona Smith, honor graduate of St. Lawrence university, class of 1929, were married at 2:30 Thursday afternoon at the home of the brideís parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Smith, Kelsey Bridge, by Rev. C. E. Hastings, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, Theresa, of which both the bride and bridegroom are members. Only near relatives of each family were in attendance.

The house was beautifully trimmed for the event and the color scheme through the house was pink and white. At 2:30, Mrs. Harold Lortscher of Evans Mills began the playing of the wedding march from Lohengrin and the bridal party took their position before the clergyman. The bride and bridegroom were attended by Miss Sophia Ball, sister of the bridegroom, as bridesmaid, and Gilbert Ball of the Morristown high school, brother of the bridegroom as best man. Harold Lortscher sang ďAt Dawning.Ē Following the wedding a wedding dinner was served, the table being in pink and white with the same color scheme on the wedding cake, which was surmounted by two small figures--the bride and bridegroom.

Directly after the dinner, Mr. and Mrs. Ball left by auto for a trip through New England which will take them to the coast and take about three weeks.

Percy E. Ball, son of Mr. and Mrs. T. E. Ball of English Settlement, was an honor graduate from the Theresa high school and won honors at St. Lawrence university, from which he graduated two years ago. He has since been principal of the Dekalb Junction high school and returns there another year. He was always an active church worker here and has a local preacherís license from the church to preach and has at times supplied the pulpit here.

The bride, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Smith, Kelsey Bridge, is likewise an honor student, both from the Theresa high school and St. Lawrence university. She is also a worker in the church and with young people.

The couple received many gifts, including a substantial check from the brideís parents. The bride wore at the wedding an orchid georgette gown and her going away gown was a blue ensemble.

The guests included Mr. and Mrs. George Smith and son, Ralph, Mr. and Mrs. T. E. Ball, Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert Ball, Morristown; Mrs. Mary Farrell, Duane Smith, Sophia E. Ball, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Lortscher and daughter, Elaine, Evans Mills; Rev. and Mrs. C. E. Hastings and granddaughter, Margaret.

Typistís Note: 1929 was handwritten at the top of this write-up.



(Special To The Times.)

Hammond, Oct. 31. -- Miss Grace Mary Ormiston and Lewis W. Paddock were married this morning at 5 at the home of the bride in this village by Rev. W. H. Campbell, pastor of the Hammond Presbyterian church.

The bride was attired in a gown of brown crepe with hat, shoes and stockings to match. The wedding breakfast was served to members of the immediate families by Mrs. Ralph Laverne and Grace Miller.

Mrs. Paddock is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. G. Ormistoon. She is a graduate of Hammond High school and taught school several years. Mr. Paddock is the son of Eugene Paddock. They left on an extended wedding trip. Next spring they will go to the old Ormiston homestead on the Alexandria Bay road to reside.

Typistís Note: 1929 was handwritten at the top of this item.



Boonville, Aug. 12. -- The death of Mrs. Wylie T. Palmer occurred Friday in St. Lukeís hospital, Utica, after a monthís illness.

Ethel C. Newman was born in Redwood, Aug. 19, 1891, a daughter of Clarence and Louise Ahles Newman. Her early life was spent in Redwood and she was a graduate of Redwood High school. In 1910 she graduated from Potsdam State Normal school, after which she devoted a number of years to teaching. Her first position was at Rensselaer Falls, which she resigned to take a position in the high school at Black River, where she was most successful.

Later she accepted a position in Boonville High school, where for four years she met with marked success. Passing the civil service examination, she entered the War Risk Insurance Bureau at Washington, D. C., where she remained throughout the war.

Nov. 28, 1920, she was married to Wylie T. Palmer, Boonville, at Oswego. The remainder of her life was spent in Boonville.

Friday, July 12, she entered St. Lukeís hospital, Utica, where a son was born, who was named Wayne Newman Palmer.

She is survived by her husband, one son, Wayne Newman Palmer, and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Newman, of Redwood.

Typistís Note: 1929 was handwritten at the top of this obit.



(a photo of Miss Alma Ahles was then included)

REDWOOD, June 21. -- Miss Alma Ahles, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ahles, of this village, will become the bride of Blair Hawks, of Champlain, in St. Paulís Lutheran church at 4 in the afternoon of June 29. The Rev. Harry B. Krusa will perform the ceremony. The bride-to-be is a teacher at Champlain, while the prospective bridegroom is a draftsman employed by a large engineering firm. The wedding will be formal.

Typistís Note: 1929 was written on this item.



Redwood, July 1. -- A pretty church wedding took place when Miss Alma Ahles, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ahles of Redwood, was united in marriage to T. Blair Hawks of Champlain, N. Y., at the Lutheran church Saturday at 4 p.m., the Rev. H. B. Krusa, pastor officiating.

The bride was attended by Miss Hortense Keller of Cuba and the bridegroom by Dr. Richard Ahles of Brooklyn, brother of the bride. The wedding march was played by a sorority sister, Miss Rosabell Doust of Champlain.

After the ceremony, a reception was held at the Dollinger Hotel at which only the family and a few friends were present. Mr. and Mrs. Hawks left for a motor trip to New York and points of interest farther south.

Typistís Note: 1929 was written above this item.



Morristown, March 1. -- Mrs. Florence Peters, 63, wife of Louis Peters, died at her home in Morristown Thursday morning at 3, following an illness of two years.

The deceased was a member of the Lutheran church of Black Lake and was 63 years old. She is survived by her husband, three daughters, Mrs. Allen Fraser, New York; Mrs. Morris Larock of Oswegatchie and Mrs. Murray Date of Philadelphia.

The funeral will be held Saturday at 1 from her late home with services being conducted by Rev. Mr. Shaw in the Black Lake Lutheran church at 2. Burial will be made at the Cedars.

Typistís Note: 1929 appeared at the top of this obit.



Redwood, Aug. 2. -- James V. Male, sr., 69, well known farmer of this section, dropped dead yesterday afternoon in the barnyard, near the gateway leading to the pasture, on the William Brown farm which he had occupied. He was found lifeless by Mr. Brown. Dr. E. E. Eddy was called and pronounced death due to heart failure. He had been dead but a few minutes when found.

Mr. Male was born in England, Jan. 7, 1860, and when 15 years old came to Brockville, Ontario, with Charles Best, now a resident of Clayton, and James Reed, Dexter. For a time he was employed at the Samuel Connors stables at Brockville. In 1886 he married Miss Margaret Runnings at Brockville. She died in Redwood in May, 1921. In 1902 the Males moved to a farm near Evans Mills. Later they went to a farm near Plessis, then to the Helmer farm near Redwood and last to the Brown farm.

Mr. Male is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Pearl Farrell and Mrs. Golden Male, both of Redwood; one son, James V. Meal, jr., of Watertown; one brother, George and a sister, Mrs. Mary Wines, both of England.

Funeral services will be held from the late residence on Saturday afternoon at 2, Rev. Ernest Bragg, pastor of the Redwood Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Interment will be made at Redwood.

Typistís Note: 1929 was written at the top of this obit.



Miss Mary Emma Sovie of 1112 Gill street was quietly married at 8:30 this morning to Floyd Hamilton of 1108 Gill street. The ceremony took place in the rectory of Holy Family church with Rev. Joseph P. Heslin, assistant pastor, performing the ceremony. The bridesmaid was Miss Lulu Pickett, while Norman William Sovie, brother of the bride, acted as the best man.

For the ceremony the bride was attired in a gown of periwinkle blue trimmed with an ecru lace collar. With this was worn a matching blue cloche and blonde slippers and hose, the bridal flowers being vari-colored sweet peas.

Following the ceremony a wedding breakfast for 22 guests was held at the home of the bride, the color scheme for the occasion being pink and white. The couple then left on a wedding trip during which they will motor to Ogdensburg which was formerly the home of the bride. Upon their return they will make their future residence at 1112 Gill street.

The bride, who is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred E. Sovie, has lived in this city for the past eight years, coming here from Ogdensburg where she attended school. Mr. Hamilton is associated with the Circle Tire company of this city. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hamilton of Stone Mills.

Typistís Note: 1929 was written at the top of this write-up.



(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, Aug. 30. -- Mrs. Mary Katheriine Spies, 72, died at 6:30 Wednesday night. She had been ill since last December.

Mrs. Spies was born in Germany on April 13, 1857. She came to the United States with her parents when two years old. She married George V. Spies in 1877. They resided on a farm near here until 1911 when they moved into the village. Mr. Spies died in 1919. Mrs. Spies was a member of St. Paulís Lutheran church and the Dorcas society of that church.

Surviving are two sons, Edward Spies of Redwood and Glenn William Spies of Montreal, and one daughter, Mrs. Fred Schermerhorn of Brier Hill.

Funeral services will be held Saturday at 1:30 p.m. from the home and at 2 p.m. from St. Paulís Lutheran church. Rev. Francis Hoffman of Utica, a former pastor of the church, officiating. Interment will be made in Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: The date, ď28 Aug 1929Ē appeared at the top of this obit.




(Special to The Times.)

Plessis, Aug. 20. -- Mrs. Mary Eliza Williams, 86, died at the home of Harry Stacey, near Redwood, Thursday night at 10. She had been in failing health a long time.

Mrs. Williams was born in Theresa. Sixty-five years ago she was married to John Williams of Theresa. They resided on a farm in the town of Theresa for 42 years. Eighteen years ago they moved to this village. Mr. Williams died two years ago. One daughter, Carrie, died some years ago.

Surviving are several nephews and nieces, including Mrs. Gilbert Holmes of Redwood and Percy Salsbury of Syracuse.

Funeral services will be held Saturday at 10 a.m. from the Stacey home, Rev. Ernest Bragg, pastor of the Redwood Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Burial will be made in Theresa cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1929 appeared at the top of this obit.



(Special to The Times.)

Dexter, Sept. 4. -- Miss Mabel Irene Alverson, 48, local postmistress, died this morning at her home in this village. She had been in failing health since last fall when she fractured her leg in a fall on the postoffice steps.

Miss Alverson was born in the town of Hounsfield. She came here when a young girl and attended school here. Most of her life had been spent in this village.

She is survived by four brothers, R. W. Alverson, principal of the Dexter High school, G. Carl Alverson, superintendent of schools in Syracuse, Norris W. Alverson of Dexter and Perry B. Alverson of Antwerp.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete. Kindly omit flowers.



(Special to The Times.)

Theresa, Oct. 1. -- Hermon Snell, 73, well known West Theresa farmer, died at his home Monday night after an illness of several weeks.

Mr. Snell was born Aug. 2, 1856 on the farm where he died, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Jeremiah Snell. He was a farmer all his life and was prominent in grange activities. He was also a member of the Theresa Lodge, I. O. O. F. He married Miss Lydia Cole of Theresa on Dec. 18, 1879.

Surviving are his widow and one son, Jeremiah Cole, who resides on the home farm.

Funeral services will be held from the late home Thursday at 2 p.m., Rev. C. E. Hastings, pastor of the Theresa Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Interment will be made in Oakwood cemetery, Theresa.

Typistís Note: 1929 was handwritten on the top of this obit.



(Special to The Times.)

Philadelphia, Nov. 21. -- Mrs. Frances Kirkland, 75, wife of Robert Kirkland, died Tuesday night at 10 at her home in this village.

Mrs. Kirkland was born at Herkimer, Oct. 4, 1853, a daughter of Daniel and Frances Wood. Fifty-three years ago she married Robert Kirkland at Herkimer. They later moved to Redwood where Mr. Kirkland was employed as a cheesemaker for 25 years. While at Redwood Mr. and Mrs. Kirkland sponsored the formation of a grange organization and it was named Kirkland grange in their honor. About 25 years ago they moved to this village and had since resided here. Mrs. Kirkland was a lifelong member of the W. C. T. U. and until a short time ago was president of the local union.

She is survived besides her husband, by two children, Hugh and Annie, both of Philadelphia; three sisters, Mrs. Frank Dale, Guthrie, Okla., Mrs. Charles Lawrence and Miss Minnie Wood, both of Wichita, Kan.; two brothers, Robert Wood of Little Falls and George Wood of Herkimer.

Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon at 2 from the home, Rev. George Upham of the Philadelphia Baptist church officiating. Interment will be made at Redwood.



Redwood, April 3. -- The funeral of John Hofferberth, 74, well known resident of Redwood, was held Monday afternoon. Rev. Francis Purvis, pastor of the Baptist church, officiated. Burial was in Redwood cemetery.

Mr. Hofferberth had lived here since childhood. He was the son of Michael and Catherine Hofferberth. He was taken ill Oct. 19, 1927, and was a patient at Mercy hospital, Watertown, two months, after which he was brought to the home of his daughter, Mrs. Charles Spaulsbury, in Main street, where he died.

In compliance with his last request his body was taken to his own home for the funeral service where a large number of friends and neighbors assembled to pay their last respects.

Surviving him are his widow, three daughters, Mrs. Charles Spaulsbury, Redwood; Mrs. Clara Skinner, Goose Bay, and Mrs. Edward Smith, Hammond; two brothers, George and Leonard, both of Redwood, and four grandchildren, DeForrest Smith of the Jefferson County National Bank, Watertown; Vernon Smith, a teacher at Partlowville, N. Y.; Miss Doris Skinner and Raymond Spaulsbury, Redwood.

Typistís Note: The year, 1928, was handwritten at the top of this obit.



Theresa, Oct. 5. -- The marriage of Mrs. Daisy J. Johnson, of Canandaigua and Adam H. Bickelhaupt, Theresa, took place on Thursday, Oct. 3 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Smith, 107 Bartle avenue, Newark, N. Y., with Rev. E. L. Woldt of the Lutheran church performing the ceremony.

The bride wore a dress of brown transparent velvet and carried a corsage bouquet of roses. Mrs. E. H. Smith was matron of honor, and wore brown flat crepe and carried a bouquet of roses. Charles Johnson, brother of the bride, was best man.

After the ceremony, a wedding breakfast was served to the bridal party at the Gardenier Hotel, Newark. Mr. and Mrs. Bickelhaupt left on a trip through Canada, after which they will reside at Theresa, New York.

Typistís Note: 1929 was handwritten at the top of this write-up.



Redwood Widow Tries to Keep Identity Secret After Becoming Wife of Prosperous Retired Farmer

Watertown Daily Times

Carthage Bureau

Carthage, Oct. 28. -- William Zecher, prosperous retired farmer, was married to Mrs. Julia Carmon of Redwood, a widow some years his junior, by Rev. Miles Hutchinson at the parsonage of the Methodist Episcopal church in Philadelphia Saturday afternoon, The Times learned today. They were attended by C. R. Bennett and Mrs. Minnie Caswell of Carthage.

News of the wedding spread rapidly here Sunday but the identity of the bride was kept secret. Mrs. Carmon when interviewed Sunday said that she did not wish to divulge her name as she wanted to tell her son of the marriage herself.

Mr. Zecher has resided in Carthage since his retirement several years ago. His former wife died about six months ago.

Mrs. Carmon came to Carthage Mrs. Minnie Caswell. (sic) It was there that Mr. Zecher met her.

Typistís Note: 1929 was written at the top of this notice.



Redwood, Nov. 11. -- Mrs. Sadie Edgerly Simpson, 37, died at 10:30 Saturday night at her home in this village after an illness of eleven weeks.

She was born in Redwood, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Edgerly. She was married to Leslie Simpson in 1914. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and of Redwood grange and Rebekah lodge.

Survivors are her parents, her husband, five children, Evelyn, Kenneth, Francis, Lois and Donald; and three sisters, Mrs. Clark Sargent, Miss Lela Edgerly and Mrs. Edward Bartram, of Alexandria Bay.

Funeral services will be conducted at 1:30 Tuesday afternoon at the home and at 2 at the Methodist Episcopal church, Rev. Ernest Bragg, officiating. Burial will be in Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1929 appeared at the top of this obit.



(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, June 28. -- William Josiah Fults, 63, died Thursday morning at his home near this village. Death was due to heart trouble.

Mr. Fults was born in the town of Theresa, Oct. 13, 1865, and spent most of his life in that town, with the exception of seven years in the west. On Jan. 5, 1892, he married Hattie Hodge, who died 32 years ago. He later married Minnie Simpson who died 20 years ago. He was a member of Alexandria Lodge, No. 297, F. and A. M., and Kirkland grange, Redwood.

Surviving are his mother, Mrs. Margaret Fults, Redwood; one daughter, Mrs. Mabel Ward; four brothers, Matthew, Anson, Albert and Edward of Redwood; one sister, Mrs. Georgia Simonds.

Funeral services will be held from the late home Saturday at 2:30 p.m., Rev. Ernest Bragg, pastor of the Redwood Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Masonic services will be held at the grave in Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1929 appeared at the top of this obit.



Plessis, Sept. 24. -- Mrs. Sophie Vogt Hartman, 59, wife of George Hartman, died at her home at Brownís Corners, Sept. 23, after a long illness. Death was caused by a complication of diseases.

She was born in Hirchlanden, Baden, Germany, Dec. 28, 1871, and came to this country with her brother, Fred, in 1885. She was married Oct. 28, 1890, near Lafargeville, by Rev. Hoffman, to George Hartman. The couple lived for several years on the Snell farm near Lafargeville, from which they moved to the Snell farm between Plessis and Browns Corners which they operated for man years, until about 20 years ago when they bought the farm at Browns Corners where they have since resided. She was a member of the Lutheran church of Redwood and of Kirkland Grange, Redwood.

Mrs. Hartman is survived by her husband, Adam, who lives at home; two daughters, Mrs. Lotha Snell of Alexandria Bay and Mrs. Louise Timmerman of Lafargeville; a step-son, Lawrence Hartman of Watertown and two grandchildren, Vera and Eileen Snell of Alexandria Bay. A daughter, Martha, died when three years of age. She leaves eight sisters, Mrs. Fred Schulz, Mrs. Charles Dorr and Mrs. George Hagen of Lafargeville; Mrs. Conrad Poth of Pamelia, Mrs. Conrad Quencer, Evans Mills; Mrs. Philip Quencer, Perch River; Mrs. Henry Flath, Redwood and Bertha Quencer of Germany. Her only brother, Fred Vogt died at Lafargeville in January of this year.

The funeral will be held at the home Thursday afternoon at 1:30, Rev. Paul Krutsky, pastor of the Redwood Lutheran church, officiating. Burial will be made in the family plot of Browns Corners cemetery.

Typistís Note: A note at the side of this obit shows, ďd. 23 Sept. 1929.Ē



Henry A. Thompson, 262 Hillcrest avenue, and Mrs. Margaret Delaney, same address, were married at 8:30 Wednesday evening at the manse of Hope Presbyterian church. Rev. Cassius J. Sargent, pastor of the church, performed the ceremony. The couple were attended by Mrs. Theresa Bendwill and H. Frank Lee. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson will make their residence at 262 Hillcrest avenue.

Typistís Note: 1929 was the date shown at the top of this notice.



Alexandria Bay, July 26. -- Miss Edythe Reed, daughter of George L. Reed of Redwood was married to William St. John, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry St. John also of Redwood, Wednesday evening in the parsonage of the Reformed Church of the Thousand Islands here. Rev. Thomas Adams officiated. The couple were attended by Mr. and Mrs. George E. Reed of Redwood.

The bride is a lifelong resident of Redwood, and is a graduate of the Redwood schools. Mr. St. John was born in Portland, Me., and has lived in Redwood for the past six years. He is at present employed as a lineman for the St. Lawrence Utilities company.

Typistís Note: 1929 appeared at the top of this notice.



Mrs. Myrtle Hale Cook, nurse, of Philadelphia and Fred M. Wilcox of Theresa were married Tuesday afternoon, Nov. 26, at Asbury Methodist Episcopal church, this city, by Rev. J. W. Wilson, pastor. The couple was attended by Mr. and Mrs. S. W. Johnson of Watertown, friends of the bride.

Mr. and Mrs. Wilcox will reside in Theresa.

Typistís Note: 1929 was the year written at the top and bottom of this notice.



Theresa, May 21. -- John Frederick Schultz, 48, who died at 1:30 p.m. Monday at the House of the Good Samaritan, experienced an unusual number of accidents. In 1906, he was in a bad accident at the railroad crossing at Lafargeville when his rig was hit by a train and he was badly bruised.

Just four weeks ago he was kicked in the face by a horse while working in his barn and was taken to Watertown for treatment. He was so badly injured that death came as a result of the accident.

He was born in the town of Brownville, Dec. 20, 1881, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Shultz. He attended the Lafargeville school and Jan. 11, 1905, married Miss Ina Hofferberth. For two years they resided upon a farm near Orleans Four Corners. Later they removed to the home of his parents on Carter street, three miles from Lafargeville.

He was a member of the church council of the Lutheran church at Orleans Four Corners and a member of the Lafargeville grange. He is survived by his parents, his wife and two children, Helen and Margaret.

The funeral services will be held Thursday from the late home at 1 and from the Lutheran church at Orleans Four Corners at 2. Rev. Mr. Krusa, pastor of the Orleans and Redwood churches will have charge of the services. Burial will be made at Lafargeville.

Typistís Note: ďd. 20 May 1929Ē was written at the top of Mr. Schultzís obit.



Mrs. Dodd Has Been Teaching in Canton Vicinity--Couple to Reside in Ogdensburg

Canton, July 19. -- Announcement has been made of the marriage of Stanley Dodd of 1001 Patterson street, Ogdensburg, and Miss Lillian Martin of Canton.

The ceremony was performed on Thursday, July 11 in Chateaugay by the Rev. Father John J. Dean. The attending couple was John H. Remillard and Bertha Remillard of Chateaugay.

Mr. Dodd is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Dodd of Ogdensburg and is a salesman by occupation. His bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Martin and is a former resident of Salt Lake City. For some time past, however, she has been teaching in this section.

Mr. and Mrs. Dodd will reside at 1021 State street, Ogdensburg.

Typistís Note: 1929 was handwritten at the top of this item.



REDWOOD, Feb. 1. -- Mrs. Abigail Donald, 82, widow of Thomas Donald, a well known insurance man of this village, died at 2 this morning after a three weeksí illness of influenza. She had been a resident of this village for 60 years.

Mrs. Donald was born in South Hammond, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chester Catlin. She was the last of her family. She leaves a son, Charles, of Gouverneur; two grandchildren, Mrs. H. Collins of Gouverneur, and (words not legible) of Syracuse.

Two years ago Mrs. Donald fell and suffered a fractured hip and since then had not been in the best of health. She had lived alone here since the death of her husband.

The funeral services will be held at 2 Sunday at the home and burial will be in the local cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1929 was written at the top of this obit.



Minister of Redwood Baptist Church For Past Five Years--Served Number of Years as Missionary in West.

(Special To The Times)

Redwood, Jan. 25. -- The death of Rev. Francis Purvis, 85, a minister for 54 years and pastor of the Baptist church in this village for the past five years, occurred at 3:40 this morning following an illness of three weeks. Rev. Mr. Purvis contracted pneumonia about three weeks ago and his condition gradually grew worse until heart failure caused his death.

He was born in Pyemouth, Scotland, April 11, 1843, the son of a Scotch fisherman. Here he spent his early life, making many trips to sea with his father who owned a sailing vessel. His early education was conducted by his mother, and he attended the parish school at Pyemouth, Scotland. Later he took a six monthsí preparatory course at Edinburgh university, and at the age of 18 began the study of medicine.

The death of his father forced him to abandon the course and he returned to Pyemouth where he entered the wholesale fish business. Shortly afterward he became interested in the ministry and while still young preached in his native village. At the age of 20 he joined the Baptist church and in 1869 went to England where he married Esther Ann Cooper, of Lincolnshire, England.

Rev. Mr. Purvis came to this country in 1870 and made his home in Tioga county, Pa., where he joined Rev. James Sheardown in pioneer work for the Baptist church. He was ordained in the Baptist ministry at Charlestown, N. Y. in 1874, and shortly afterward went west as a missionary where he was engaged in missionary work in North Dakota, Colorado and Nebraska. When he was located in Omaha the town possessed only one street of frame buildings.

In 1890 he returned east serving in Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Maine, and at Penobscot Bay, Mr., maintained a sailing vessel on which he made trips to nearby islands doing missionary work and often acting as physician when there was none other to be had.

In 1915 his wife died at North Lyme, Conn., and a year later he married Anne E. Syme. In 1923 he came to Redwood where he became pastor of the Baptist church, holding that pastorate until his death. Besides his wife he is survived by one son, William of Woodhaven, L. K.

Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 from the Baptist church here. Rev. H. B. Cooper, of the Carthage Baptist church officiating, assisted by Rev. Ernest Bragg, pastor of Redwood Methodist Episcopal church, and Rev. H. B. Krusa, pastor of the Lutheran church. Interment will be made at North Lyme, Conn.

Typistís Note: 1929 was handwritten at the top of the Reverandís obit.



Theresa, June 25. -- On Monday at 10 at the home of the bride in Park avenue, village, Miss Rena L. Neuroth and Myron C. Putman of Plessis were married by REv. George P. Uphem, pastor of the Baptist church, Philadelphia, of which the bride is a member. Only near relatives and friends attended the wedding.

The couple left directly after the ceremony by auto for a wedding trip and on their return expect to make their home in Plessis. Mrs. Putman is the daughter of Mrs. George Neuroth of this village and after her graduation from the Theresa high school, finished the course in the Antwerp training class and has taught the past year at Bentleys Corners.

Mr. Putnam is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Putman of Plessis. Upon their return from their wedding trip Mr. and Mrs. Putnam will reside at Plessis. Mrs. Putnam has been engaged to teach in Plessis the coming year.

Typistís Note: The year, 1929, was handwritten at the top of this item.



Young Farmer, Captured By Britainís Indian Allies, Stopped There While Being Taken to Quebec--Returned to Lake When Released.

Special To The Times:

Just now when there is so much attention drawn to Black Lake on account of the discussion over changing the name to Roosevelt, I thought (it) might be a good time to give a little story which was handed down from generation to generation since Revolutionary times. Later one of the descendants found this very story in a history of Herkimer county. Almost exactly as it had been handed down.

Black Lake is about 18 miles long and the settlers on the north side were mostly Dutch from the Mohawk Valley. Many of the old Dutch names remain.

Back in the Revolutionary times the Indians raided the English and raids were frequent in the Mohawk valley and one day near the village and fort of Little Falls a runner went to warn the outlying settlers that the Indians were coming. One family, consisting of an old man, John Evsaman (sic) and his wife, their son. Stephen and his wife and baby of a few months, lived on one of these outlying farms and were warned by the runner. Hastily catching their horses and hitching them to a wagon they began piling on their most valued possessions, but before they could start the Indians were upon them. Seizing Stephen, he was tied to a tree where he was a witness to the death of his father and mother, his young wife and baby.

The old couple and young wife were made to kneel where they were tommyhawked and scalped. The babyís head was dashed against a tree and the buildings fired.

Thus they did wherever an unprotected family was found. Saving only the young and strong and taking the cows and horses they headed north, up through the wilderness, through Rossie to the head of Black Lake and down its north shore to the foot hence to Ogdensburg, which was a mere hamlet, across the St. Lawrence and finally arriving in Montreal where the Indians were paid for the live prisoners and for the scalps of those they had killed.

As Stephen Eysaman walked along Black Lake he thought it a beautiful place to own a home, an ideal farming locality. Four years later when prisoners were exchanged, Stephen Eysaman, was freed and went home to his old farm, rebuilt the house and barn, married again and raised a family of children. When his son, Jacob, was grown and married to Mary Bellinger at German Flats, his father came with them to Black Lake, the memory of which had always remained with Stephen and the first 40 acres of the Eysaman farm was purchased in 1824 about half way between the head and the foot of Black Lake. That is how one of the settlers came to settle on Black Lake.

I donít believe to the old residents it could ever be anything but Black Lake. To the summer folks and tourists Roosevelt might sound better but after all what do they care. They are here today, on some other lake tomorrow. Seems as though those who have summered and wintered with it, lived beside it when it was warm and sunny and calm and when it was a rushing, angry torrent, who cross it in boats and over ice and who really love it and wouldnít live elsewhere, are the ones to have some say about its name.

Mrs. H. Harland

Redwood (Redwood was crossed out and Morristown written in)

Typistís Note: Typed as written. The year, 1929, was handwritten at the top of this article.



(Special To The Times.)

Depauville, May 18. -- Charles Daab, aged 77 years, a well known resident of this village, died at his late residence this morning at 7:20 following a long illness.

Mr. Daab was born in Germany, a son of the late George and Jeannette Daab. When 16 years of age he came to this country. For a time he resided at Michigan and then in the town of Orleans. For the past 53 years he had resided in the town of Clayton. He was the last of twelve children.

Mr. Daab was first married in 1875 to Miss Elizabeth Dintelman. She died in 1914. He was married in 1916 to Miss Annetta Kissel. Besides Mrs. Annetto Kissel Daab, his wife, he is survived by two daughers, Mrs. Elizabeth Daab and Miss Elnora Daab of this vicinity.

For 24 years Mr. Daab operated a farm in this section. He was a member of the Lutheran church and of the Depauville grange No. 59.

Funeral services will be held form the late residence on Monday afternoon at 2, Rev. Arthur Lawrence, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Interment will be made in the Depauville cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1928 appeared at the top of this obit.

Return to Jefferson County Tidbits

Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page