|Part: 1||Part: 2||Part: 3||Part: 4||Part: 5||Part: 6||Part: 7||Part: 8|
|Part: 9||Part: 10||Part: 11||Part: 12||Part: 13||Part: 14||Part: 15||Part: 16|
Mrs. Eustis Has Been Teaching School in Rensselaer Falls High School -- Couple Will Reside in Chicago
Hammond, July 10. -- Miss Helen Margaret Laidlaw, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Laidlaw, became the bride of Harry MacGregor Eustis Wednesday morning, July 9, at a pretty home wedding.
Rev. W. Halbert Campbell, minister of the First Presbyterian church of Hammond, performed the ceremony in the presence of about 40 relatives and intimate friends.
Miss Laidlaw was attended by Miss Gertrude Walker of Syracuse, a sorority sister and classmate. Kenneth Laidlaw, brother of the bride, was best man and Mrs. W. Halbert Campbell played the wedding march.
At 11:30 the bridesmaid followed by the bride and her father descended the stairs to the strains of Mendelssohn’s Wedding March. They were joined in the living room by the bridegroom and his best man. The bride was given away by her father and the ceremony was performed under an arch formed of ferns and white flowers.
The bride was gowned in a princess creation of pale pink lace net trimmed with tulle and carried a shower bouquet of white roses and white sweet peas. Miss Walker wore a blue embroidered organdy gown with slippers to match and carried a shower bouquet of sweet peas shading from pink to orchid.
The bride’s mother was attired in black and white chiffon and Mrs. Eustis, mother of the groom wore a gown of blue chiffon with floral design.
The home was prettily decorated with cut flowers, sweet peas, snapdragons, delphinium and ferns, the color scheme being pink and white, which was carried out in the wedding breakfast that was served immediately following the reception to the bride and groom. The wedding breakfast was served by Mrs. William Goodwin, cateress. Friends of the bride, Miss Ruth Allen, Miss Velma Cleland, Miss Louine Rogers, Miss Ruth Stiles, Miss Ruth C. Williams, Miss Dorthea Woodsie, assisted in serving the breakfast.
Mr. and Mrs. Eustis left on a wedding journey to New York. The bride wore for her going away costume a blue and white flowered crepe with coat, hat, slippers and accessories to match. Before leaving Mrs. Eustis threw her bouquet which was caught by Miss Elizabeth Rebscher of Redwood.,
Mrs. Eustis is the only daughter of former Assemblyman W. A. Laidlaw and Mrs. Laidlaw. She was graduated from Hammond high school and from St. Lawrence university with the class of 1923. She was a member of the Kappa Gamma sorority. Since her graduation from St. Lawrence she has been engaged in teaching Latin in Rensselaer Falls high school, resigning her position because of her approaching marriage. Mr. Eustis is only son of Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Eustis of New York. His early education was received in the city schools and he was graduated from the Stevens Institute of Technology. He is associated with the Babcock, Wilcox company of New York at their Chicago office. After July 21 Mr. and Mrs. Eustis will be at home at 5672 Ridge avenue, Chicago, Ill.
Guests from out of town who attended the wedding were Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Eustis of New York, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Denner of Watertown, Mrs. Eliza Denner, Mr. and Mrs. F. Rebscher, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Rebscher, Miss Elizabeth Rebscher, Miss Grace Kabel of Redwood; Miss Mary MacGregor, Miss Adelaide Harvey, Mrs. Margaret Turnbull, of Gouverneur; Miss Ruth C. Williams of Great Meadows, N. J.; Mr. and Mrs. Grant Crabtree of New York, Miss Gertrude Walker of Syracuse, Mr. and Mrs. James A. Cleland, Miss Velma H. Cleland of Rensselaer Falls; Miss Fern Hibbard of Philadelphia, N. Y., and Miss Marion Cheney of Canton.
Typist’s Note: This event took place in 1930, as evidenced by a handwritten notation.
Isaac B. Mitchell of Lafargeville and Miss Florence Staley, of this city were married at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Staley, 510 Davidson street, yesterday afternoon by Rev. Francis W. Eason, rectory of Trinity Episcopal church.
Typist’s Note: Two dates were found at the bottom of this item: 1908, 1933.
(Special to The Times.)
Redwood, Oct. 11. -- Frank Farrell, 62, of this village, died at the home of his brother, John Farrell, this village, Friday morning about 2 after a brief illness. Death was due to heart disease.
Mr. Farrell was stricken with a heart attack Thursday afternoon and went to the home of his brother, where a physician was called. His condition was so serious that the physician advised that he remain in bed at the home of this brother.
He was born at Redwood in March, 1868, a son of the late Michael and Anna Colgan Farrell, and the greater part of his life was spent in this village. The remainder of his life was spent in Watertown. He was a farmer virtually all his life. He never married.
He was a member of the Knights of Columbus of Alexandria Bay and of St. Peter’s church of this village.
Surviving besides his brother, John, are another brother, Edward Farrell of Syracuse; two sisters, Mrs. Henry Savage, 249 Barben avenue, Watertown, and Mrs. James Pound of Antwerp.
Funeral services will be held Sunday morning at 10:30 at St. Peter’s school. Burial will be in Redwood cemetery.
Typist’s Note: A handwritten “1930” appeared at the top of this obit.
Gouverneur, June 23. -- Cards have been received from Mrs. Maude W. Moore, 879 Napier avenue, Erie, Pa., announcing the marriage of her daughter, Marjorie, to Forest Norton Webster, 4700 Sansom street, Philadelphia, Pa., on Saturday, May 3.
The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. William Armstrong, pastor of the Baptist church. Mr. Webster is 21 and Mrs. Webster is 20. Mrs. Webster was graduated from Bradford High school. She was graduated from Stevens, a girls’ school in Columbus, Miss., and took up secretarial work in the Pierce School of Business Administration.
Mr. Webster is a graduate of Gouverneur High school, class of 1927, and Pierce School of Business Administration at Philadelphia, Pa., in January, 1930. Mr. Webster is a son of Mr. and Mrs. H. W. Webster, well known residents of Gouverneur. He is also a nephew of Dr. G. V. Webster, well known osteopath, now located in Los Angeles, Calif.
Mr. Webster is assistant to the financial manager of the R. Levy & Sons, Inc., furniture dealers in Philadelphia, Pa.
Mr. and Mrs. Webster will reside in Philadelphia, Pa.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1930, was handwritten at the top of this write-up.
(Special To The times)
Ogdensburg, June 30. -- Miss Mary M. Kelly of this city and James M. O’Brien of Brasher Falls were married at St. Mary’s cathedral this morning at 7:30 by Rev. J. Albert O’Brien of Malone, brother of the bridegroom. The attendants were Miss Elizabeth Kelly and Harold O’Brien of Brasher Falls, Miss Margaret Kinch was the soloist. The ceremony was followed by a wedding breakfast at the home of the bride, 701 Albany avenue.
The couple will reside on a farm at Brasher. The bride is a graduate of the Hepburn hospital nursing school.
Typist’s Note: 1930 appeared in pen at the top of this item.
Hammond, Feb. 20. -- Vernon Grant, 19, died Wednesday morning at 6:30 at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Sherman Grant, South Hammond. He had not been in good health for some time.
Besides his parents, he is survived by a sister, Mrs. Harold Northrup of Theresa.
Funeral services will be held from the home Friday at 2 p.m., Rev. John McLaughlin of this village officiating. Interment will be made at Rarick cemetery, South Hammond.
Typist’s Note: 1930 was handwritten at the top of this item.
(Special to The Times.)
Lisbon, Feb. 12. -- Mrs. Jane Wheeler, 84, a native of Jefferson county, died at 7:30 Wednesday evening at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Jennie Hanna, in the town of Lisbon. She suffered a shock two weeks ago which caused her death.
Mrs. Wheeler was born Feb. 10, 1847, on the Cole homestead near Hyde Lake, Jefferson county, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alonson Cole. Most of her life was spent in the vicinity of Hyde Lake. She married Gilbert Wheeler who died some years ago. A few years ago she went to Redwood to live but for the past year had resided with her daughter in this town.
Surviving are two children, Mrs. Hanna and Earl C. Wheeler, Huntington, W. Va.; four sisters, Mrs. Fannie LaFave, Mrs. Lydia Snell, Mrs. Lista Young and Mrs. Ida Jones, all of Theresa.
The body was taken to Redwood Wednesday night for funeral and interment.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1931, was written at the top of this obit.
Alexandria Bay, Oct. 6. -- Mrs. Betty Jacquith, Alexandria Bay, and Wallace Bates, Plessis, were married at the Methodist Episcopal parsonage here Tuesday noon, Sept. 29, by Rev. Ernest H. Scott. They were unattended.
Typist’s Note: 1931 was handwritten at the top of this item.
Mr. Munson Was a Lifelong Resident of Dexter and Recently Had Been Employed By Dexter Sulphite, Pulp & Paper Company.
Dexter, Feb. 16. -- William Horace Munson, 31, only child of Arthur E. and Jessie M. Munson and a lifelong resident of this village, died at his home here at 10 p.m. Sunday. The immediate cause of death was a bilious attack from which he had been suffering for about two weeks.
The funeral will be held from the family home at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday followed by services from the Dexter Presbyterian church at 2 p.m. Rev. A. Leslie Potter, pastor of the Dexter Methodist Episcopal church, will officiate. Brownville Lodge, No. 53 F. & A. M., will have charge of the committal services. The body will be placed in the vault in the Dexter cemetery until spring.
William Horace Munson was born at Dexter, June 2, 1899. He was graduated from Dexter high school in 1918 and afterwards attended Central City Business Institute in Syracuse.
He spent his entire life at Dexter. For some time he was employed as a bookkeeper in the business office of the Watertown Daily Times. Later he had been employed by the Dexter Sulphite, Pulp & Paper Company.
He married Miss Neva E. Fischer of Watertown on April 23, 1921. Mr. Munson was granted an interlocutory decree of divorce a year ago. Mr. Munson attended the Dexter Presbyterian church. He was a member of Brownville lodge, No. 53, F. & A. M. Other Masonic bodies of which he was a member included Watertown lodge, Council and Chapter A. A. Scottish Rite Masons; Central City Consistory, 32nd degree of Syracuse, and Media Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. of Watertown.
Surviving besides his parents is one son, Frederick William Munson.
Typist’s Note: 1931 was handwritten at the top of this obit.
Redwood, June 25. -- Miss Laurel Ila Lambert, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Lambert of Redwood, and Lawrence Ernest Schneider, son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Schneider, of Plessis, were married this afternoon at the parsonage of the Dutch Reformed church, Alexandria Bay, by Rev. Thomas Adams, pastor of the church.
The bride was attended by her sister, Miss Letty Lambert, and the bridegroom was attended by his brother, Oscar Schneider.
The gown worn by the bride was of green flowered chiffon. She wore blonde hose and shoes, with a green hat to match the gown. She carried a shower bouquet of white roses.
The bridesmaid was attired in blue flowered chiffon with blonde hose and shoes and wore a blue hat. She carried a bouquet of yellow roses.
After a luncheon at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Schneider left on a wedding trp. They will be at home after July 1, in Plessis.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1931, appeared in pen at the top of this write-up.
Retired Physician Was Active in Business of Village and Until a Year Ago Owned Large Power Interests There.
(Special to The Times.)
Theresa, March 26. -- Dr. Frederick L. Santway, 73, died this morning at 1 at his home in Commercial street following an illness of about one month. While Dr. Santway’s mind was keen almost to the last, he was unable to speak for a few hours before his death. He had been suffering from a blood obstruction in his left leg since Feb. 27. He was attended by Dr. S. A. Holling.
(a photo of Dr. Frederick L. Santway was exhibited midway through the preceding paragraph)
Besides his wife, Mrs. Mary A. Bearup Santway, he leaves two sisters, Mrs. James R. Kay of Malone, who is now spending the season in Florida, and Mrs. Anna Crandall of California. He had no children. He is survived by several nephews and nieces, among whom is Alfred W. Santway of Watertown.
Dr. Santway was born in Canton, Dec. 2, 1856, a son of John and Marion LaFave Santway. Dr. Santway was the youngest of ten children and much of his early life was spent in Russell, as his parents moved to that place the year following his birth. He was a schoolmate and chum of the late Bishop Wilson Lewis of the Methodist church and the two kept up their acquaintance until the death of the bishop a few years ago.
He attended the schools in Russell and later entered the schools at Canton. He also attended St. Lawrence university for a time. He taught school winters and attended school in the fall and spring. In 1876 he decided to study medicine and entered the office of Dr. Sanford Hoag of Canton. Later he attended the Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago, graduating in 1879.
He at once located in Theresa, coming to the village one May day, 51 years ago, driving a little pony on a buckboard and with his lunch for his noon-day meal on the seat beside him as he started out from Canton. His coming to Theresa was quite unexpected, as he had arranged to take over the practice of a physician in Antwerp, but the doctor’s wife felt badly about leaving Antwerp. Dr. Santway told them he would find another location and picked Hammond as his probable field. At the suggestion of Dr. Wood he drove to Theresa instead of Antwerp. Theresa had mills in operation up and down the Indian river with many men employed. The place looked so good that he at once located here, being greatly impressed with the industrial possibilities of the place and the water power the river afforded. When Dr. Santway reached Theresa he was in debt for his college education and his outfit, limited as it was.
His success along medical lines was outstanding. It was not long before he was on the road that put him out of debt. As ready money came to him he began to invest wisely.
For several years he was the only homeopathic physician on the Utica & Black River railroad between Watertown and Ogdensburg. Forty-nine years ago, Feb. 16, he married Mary A. Bearup of this village. Dr. Santway on his coming to Theresa became a member of the Methodist Episcopal church here. He was active in the grange when that organization was first started here and he had several farms.
Some years ago he retired from active practice and gave much attention to business. He became vice president of the Farmer’s National bank of this village and was president of the Hydro-Electric Power company here. He at one time was partner of James B. Vock in the Farmer’s Milling company. He and his partner, Mr. Vock, acquired the entire water power of the Indian river here at the lower and upper falls. A year ago this power was taken over by the St. Lawrence Utilities and Dr. Santway, who was long interested in the first lighting plant in the village, was free from the cares of business.
Three years ago he donated to the village of Theresa a large tract of land at the edge of the village bordering Indian river and this was laid out and fenced as a public park and is known as Santway Park.
Funeral services will be held Friday at 2 p.m. from the home, Rev. C. E. Hastings, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Rev. John Stoddard, pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiating. Interment will be made in Oakwood cemetery
Ceremony Will Be Solemnized in the Catholic Rectory, Newman Hall, Columbia University.
(Special to The Times.)
New York, Oct. 31. -- Miss Margery Elenore Jewett, 20, daughter of Morris H. and Clara E. Scott Jewett of Redwood, N. Y., where she was born, and John E. Moran, 22, an accountant of 536 West 11th street, this city, obtained a marriage license here this morning.
The couple said the ceremony would be performed later today in the Catholic rectory, Newmann Hall, Columbia university, here by the Rev. G. B. Ford.
Miss Jewett gave her present address as 320 West 108th street, this city.
Mr. Moran is a native of West Haven, Conn., and the son of William and Catherine Mcweeney Moran.
Miss Margery Elenore Jewett is a graduate of Redwood High school. She studied at St. Lawrence university for a year and then transferred to Columbia university, graduating from that institution with an A. B. degree last June.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1931, appeared in pen at the top of this write-up.
Peter Bert, 64, of 275 Franklin street, resident of this city for many years, died shortly after 6 Monday evening at Mercy hospital where he had been a patient since Aug. 12, suffering from heart and kidney diseases. Mr. Bert had not been in good health for two years.
Mr. Bert was born March 22, 1867 at Redwood, a son of the late Peter and Elizabeth Eckert Bert. As a young man he moved to Carthage where he learned the wood workers’ trade. While still a young man he moved to Watertown.
Mr. Bert, considered an expert in his trade, was employed for a number of years by G. W. White & Son, local lumber firm. Later he went to Syracuse where he engaged in his trade. About two years ago, when his health began to fall, he returned to Watertown.
He was married, but his wife, who, with a daughter, resides in Rochester, has been separated from him for several years.
Also surviving are a sister, Mrs. R. E. McClear, 112 Woodruff street; a step-sister, Mrs. C. C. Donald of Gouverneur, and several nephews and nieces. At one time Mr. Bert belonged to the Watertown Lodge of Eagles.
Funeral services will be held Thursday at 10:30 a.m. at the home of his sister, Mrs. McClear, Rev. Charles Bollinger, pastor of First Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Interment will be at Redwood.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1931, appeared at the top of Peter’s obit.
South Hammond, Oct. 30. -- On Monday evening, Oct. 26, about 75 friends and neighbors gathered at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lenn Hofferberth to give their only son, Robert, who was married to Miss Helen Spies of Alexandria Center, a shower and reception. After playing cards and dancing until about 11 p.m., a lunch was served. Mr. and Mrs. Hofferberth received many gifts.
Those present were: Mr. and Mrs. John Spies and children, Olin, Frieda and Ruth of Alexandria Center, Miss Margaret Reader of Alexandria Bay, Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Williams and Niles Rowell of Plessis, Edward Spies of Redwood, Miss Venitah Slate, Miss Julia Merritt and Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Milsap and sons, Clarence and Lawrence, of Hammond, Mr. and Mrs. George King and sons, Elmer and Harold, Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Paddock and sons, Donald and Laurence, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Slate and Eugene, Robert and Bessie, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Mills, Miss Marjorie Hughes, John Kabel, Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Paddock, Harold Patterson, Clifford Rowell.
Mr. and Mrs. Eddy Watson, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dickhaut and children, John, Helen, Charles and Margaret, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Dunn and son, Leslie, Mr. and Mrs. Will Bradie, Mr. and Mrs. Guy Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Slate and children, Winona, Vivian, Vernon and Gerald, Mrs. Gene Catlin and children, Crosby, Nelson, Edward, Josephine, Junior and Thelma, Mr. and Mrs. Lee Schermerhorn and children, Doris, Bill, and Betty, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Dillen, Mr. and Mrs. Lenn Hofferberth and Mr. and Mrs. Robert Hofferberth.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1931, appeared at the top of this write-up.
Two Sisters, Mrs. Celia Caples and Mrs. Harriet Russell, Reside at Redwood Where He Attended School in His Youth.
Redwood, Nov. 11. -- Word has been received here of the death in New York city on Oct. 30 of Dr. George Bogart, 73, a native of the town of Alexandria.
Dr. Bogart was born Oct. 15, 1858, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Aray Bogart. He spent his early life in this section. He had a summer home on Butterfield Lake and for the past 35 years he and Mrs. Bogart were annual visitors here.
He was educated in the Redwood school and Potsdam Normal from which he graduated and taught school in the rural schools and villages for some time. In 1887 he went to New York to attend medical college from which he was graduated in 1890. He served one year in ambulance service at Bellevue hospital, later practiced surgery for a number of years with Dr. D. Lewis at his private sanatorium. He also served as doctor for the Baptist Home in New York and for several years was on the staff of the Skin and Cancer hospital. In 1895, when he took over the Lewis sanatorium, he was married to Sarah E. Darraugh of New York.
Dr. Bogart was a member of the Royal Arch Masons, a Past Master of Independent Lodge, 185, of Columbia Knight Templar No. 1.; Media Temple Shrine and several medical societies.
He is survived by his widow of New York city; two sisters, Mrs. Celia Caples and Mrs. Harriet Russell, Redwood, several nieces and nephews.
The funeral was held from his home in New York and burial was made in New York.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1931, was handwritten at the top of the Dr.’s obit.
(Special to The Times.)
Redwood, Dec. 1. -- Funeral services for Francis Manning, 17, of Redwood, who died in Hepburn hospital, Ogdensburg, Monday morning as the result of having been accidentally shot in the head while hunting in the town of Madrid Saturday, will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday from the family home at Redwood and at 2 from the Methodist Episcopal church at Redwood, Rev. W. G. Geeson, pastor, officiating. Interment will be in the Redwood cemetery.
The young man was born March 27, 1914, in the town of Rossie, St. Lawrence county, a son of Orville and Diana Lamrock Manning, and spent most of his life at Redwood. He attended the Redwood rural schools and was a freshman in the Redwood High school. He was also a member of the high school basketball team.
Besides his parents, he leaves four sisters, Mrs. Mary E. Allen, of Dundalk, Ont., Can., Miss Anna Manning of Rodman, Mrs. Hazel C. Salsbury of Philadelhpia, Mrs. Laura M. Durant of Ogdensburg; and two brothers, Arnold F. and Lawrence R. Manning of Redwood.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1931, was handwritten in ink at the top of Francis’s obit.
(Special To The Times.)
Ogdensburg, Dec. 8. -- Mrs. Elizabeth Clark Cole, 84, died at the home of her son, Lynn B. Cole, 719 Riverside avenue, last night. She came here from Redwood about a year ago.
Mrs. Cole was born at Fairfield, Ont., No. 9, 1847 a daughter of Hiram and Elizabeth Grammatt Clark.
She is survived by two sons, Lynn B., and Hiram of Harrisburg, Pa.; a daughter, Mrs. George Hartman of Morristown; ten grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
There will be a prayer service at the home of her son here Thursday at 9 a.m. Funeral services will be held from the Redwood Methodist Episcopal church the same day at 11:30. Interment will be made in Redwood cemetery.
Typist’s Note: The date, “7 Dec. 1931,” was handwritten at the top of this obit.
(Special to The Times.)
Ogdensburg, Dec. 12. -- Napoleon B. Cole, 83, formerly of Redwood, died Friday at 8 p.m. at the home of his son, Lynn B. Cole, 719 Riverside avenue. His wife died last Monday.
Mr. Cole was born in Theresa, Aug. 12, 1848, a son of Allen and Caroline Huntley Cole. Mr. and Mrs. Cole celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary last May.
Mr. Cole is survived by two sons, Lynn B. Cole, of Ogdensburg and Hiram Cole of Harrisville, Pa., and one daughter, Mrs. George Hartman of Morristown. He also is survived by ten grand children and four great-grandchildren.
Services will be held Sunday at 9 a.m. from the home and at 11 a. m. from the Methodist Episcopal church at Redwood, Adjutant A. A. McCrea of the Salvation Army officiating. Burial will be made in Redwood.
Typist’s Note: “11 Dec 1931” appeared in handwritten form along the side of this obit.
(Special to The Times)
Redwood, Sept. 8. -- George Donovan, 61, died at his home in this village today after an illness of two years. Mr. Donovan suffered a stroke which caused his death. He was a son of Peter and Ann Donovan and on Nov. 8, 1918, married Mrs. Mattie Jerome at Ogdensburg.
For 36 years Mr. Donovan was a glass blower and had worked in nearly every state in the union. He was a member of the Amalgamated Glass Workers of America and of St. Francis church in Redwood.
Besides his widow he is survived by one step-daughter, Miss Agnes Allen, of Rochester; three sisters, Mr. (sic) Walter Hall of Black River, Mrs. S. N. Johnson and Mrs. Elizabeth Cunningham, both of Texas. He is also survived by several nieces and nephews.
Funeral services will be held Thursday morning at 10 from St. Francis church, Redwood, Rev. Father Desjardines officiating. Interment will be made in the family plot in Redwood.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1931, was handwritten at the top of this obit.
Redwood, June 11. -- Funeral services for Mrs. H. B. Krusa, former resident of this village, who died Sunday evening at 9 in the hospital at Liberty, N. Y., will be held from St. Paul’s Lutheran church, Liberty, tonight at 8 p.m., and from Emmanuel Lutheran church, Brooklyn, on Thursday at 2:30 p.m., the Rev. Emil Roth, officiating. Interment will be made in Greenwood cemetery, Brooklyn.
Mrs. Krusa, the wife of Rev. H. B. Krusa, formerly of Redwood, suffered a nervous breakdown and it affected her heart.
Born March 31, 1884, in Brooklyn, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Ebeling, she was educated in the Brooklyn schools and graduated from Adelphia college, Brooklyn, in 1908. She taught kindergarten for one year and married Rev. H. B. Krusa. They lived in Peekskill for two years, then came to Redwood where Rev. Mr. Krusa had charge of St. Paul’s Lutheran church and the Orleans Lutheran church at Orleans Corners for almost 19 years. Her death came as a shock after a year of excellent health.
Typist’s Note: 1930 was handwritten at the top of Mrs. Krusa’s obit.
The wedding of Marieta A. Eddy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Widmer E. Eddy, 128 North Pleasant street, and Frederick Charles Higman, jr., of Kew Gardens, L. I., took place Sunday at 1 p.m. in the chapel of St. Bartholomew’s church, New York city, Rev. Robert Norwood, D. D., officiating.
A wedding breakfast followed in the Green room of the Ambassador. Only the members of the immediate families attended.
Mrs. Higman has resided in Hew York for the past few years. Mr. Higman is a native of London, Ont., a son of Frederick Charles and Sara Ann Macauley Higman. He is a musician.
A marriage license was issued the couple Nov. 11 in New York city.
(Special to The Times.)
Redwood, Nov. 18. -- Mrs. Emma Jane Simpson, 68, died Tuesday at the St. Lawrence state hospital, Ogdensburg.
Mrs. Simpson was born in the town of Theresa March 13, 1863, a daughter of Warren and Adeline Rogers. She married Ed Simpson in 1881. She was a member of the local Methodist Episcopal church, the Pastor’s Aid society and the Kirkland Grange.
Besides her husband she leaves one brother, George Rogers, Chappell’s Corners; two sisters, Mr. Lottie Simpson, Alexandria Bay, and Mrs. Bettie Bates, Plessis.
Funeral services will be held Thursday at 1:30 p.m. from the home here and at 2 p.m. from the Methodist Episcopal church, Rev. Ernest Bragg officiating. Interment will be made in Redwood cemetery.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1931, was written at the top of this obit.
Redwood, Dec. 5. -- Edward A. Schad, 65, whose early life was spent in Redwood, but who for the past several years had made his home in New York city, passed away in that city on Dec. 3rd. He had been in poor health for the past three years, suffering from diabetes. He underwent a minor operation last June and a major one in October. From the last operation he did not wholly recover and was taken suddenly worse a few days ago.
Mr. Schad was born in Redwood, Dec. 8, 1865, the son of the late Adam and Margaret Burt Schad. While a young man he accepted a position in Rochester with the firm of Sibley, Linsey and Curr, retailers, where he had charge of the curtain and drapery department for 20 years. He then went to New York where he secured a position in the same line with the John Wanamaker company and he was finishing his 25th year with that firm.
He is survived by his wife, one daughter, Mrs. Ruth O’Toole and one granddaughter, Evelyn O’Toole of Brooklyn; two sisters, Mrs. Catherine Bickehaupt of Albany and Mrs. Mary Giltz of Redwood; several nieces, including Mrs. Edward Carman of this village. He was a member of the St. Paul’s Lutheran church at Redwood.
The funeral was held from his home at 108 West 84th street, New York city at 10 a.m. today. Interment was made in the family plot in that city.
Typist’s Note: The date, “3 Dec 1930” was handwritten across the top portion of Edward’s obit.
Served State Department of Agriculture as Inspector and Butter and Cheese Expert For 35 Years.
(Special to The Times.)
Philadelphia, Sept. 2. -- Robert R. Kirkland, 77, died at the St. Lawrence state hospital, Ogdensburg, late Monday afternoon.
Mr. Kirkland was born in Craigmallock, Ayrshire, Scotland, on Nov. 4, 1852, a son of William and Annie Kirkland. At the age of 21 he came to this country and engaged in cheese making near Herkimer. On March 8, 1876, he married Frances B. Wood of Fairfield, N. Y., who died two years ago. A daughter, Annie I. Kirkland, and a son, Hugh W. Kirkland, both of Philadelphia, survive.
In 1883, Mr. Kirkland moved his family to Redwood where he continued in his occupation of cheese making. Some years later he was employed by the state department of agriculture as an inspector. He was in the state’s service 35 years, retiring about three years ago. During that time he served as chief inspector and butter and cheese expert. He was a member of the Presbyterian church of Hammond and the Kirkland grange of Hammond which he and his wife helped organize.
Besides his son and daughter, he leaves four brothers, James of Florence, N. Y., Charles of Williamstown, N. Y., William of England and John of Scotland, and two married sisters, Jesse and Jean, also of Scotland.
Funeral services will be held from the home here Wednesday at 2 p.m., Rev. G. G. Upham of the Philadelphia Baptist church, officiating.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1930, was written at the top of this obit.
Native of Edwardsville Had Been a Resident of Redwood For the Past 30 Years.
(Special to The Times.)
Redwood, Jan. 14. -- George A. Crawford, 64, prominent merchant of this village, died about 4:30 a.m. today at his home after an illness of several months. Death was due to heart disease.
Mr. Crawford was born in Edwardsville, Morristown township, March 6, 1866, son of David and Margaret Crawford. He spent his early life in Edwardsville, where at the age of 20 years he started business in a small general store. In 1894 at Edwardsville he married Miss Stella Kastner.
He came to Redwood in 1900 and opened a general store, which he had conducted for the past 30 years. He was active in village and town affairs, and for nine years was chairman of the board of education. He was a member of Kirkland Grange, No. 684.
Besides his widow he is survived by one son, Russell, this village, and one brothers, William, of Ogdensburg.
Funeral services will be held from the home Friday at 2 p.m., Rev. Ernest Bragg, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Burial will be in Redwood cemetery.
Plessis, Jan. 25. -- Mrs. Sarah D. McOmber Caswell, 68, died at her home here Sunday after a lingering illness from heart trouble, hardening of the arteries and brights disease.
Sarah McOmber was born in Bailey Settlement near Alexandria Bay, in the house now owned and occupied by John Patchin. She would have been 69 years old Feb. 6. She attended the public schools and was married at Depauville, Dec. 24, 1884, to Horace D. Caswell, who survives her. The couple lived at Alexandria Bay for a time when first married and have also resided at Depauville and Tanners Corners. Coming to Plessis 13 years ago, they first bought the home where they have since lived and later the Jerome Frost farm adjoining. Mrs. Caswell was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and of Plessis grange No. 629, P. of F.
Beside her husband, she is survived by three sons, Harry and Floyd of Plessis and Edwin Caswell of De Lafarge Corners, two grandchildren, Eva and Kenneth Caswell, a sister, Mrs. Jane Matthews of Gananoque, Ont., Canada, and several nieces and nephews.
Funeral at the Methodist Episcopal church Wednesday at 11. Prayer service at the home at 10:30, Rev. W. J. Hancock officiating. Burial will be in Plessis Brookside cemetery. The bearers will be Cushman Syrague (sic) F. E. Bellinger, Frank Rowell, Ira Herbison, Eugene Rowell and Arthur Rowell.
Typist’s Note: 1932 was handwritten at the top of this obit.
Resigned as Editor of Montana Free Press A Month Ago to Enter a Sanatorium in Salt Lake City Where Death Came Suddenly Friday---Interment in Antwerp.
(Special to The Times.)
Butte, Mont., Jan. 14, -- Martin J. Hutchens, a native of Redwood, N. Y., and a newspaper man of national reputation, former managing editor of the Chicago Interocean, Chicago Journal, Helena, (Mont.) Independent, Missoula (Mont.) Milloulian (sic), Missoula Sentinel, Butte Miner and Montana Free Press, died Saturday afternoon at Holy Cross hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah.
While Mr. Hutchens had been in failing health for several months, his condition was not considered critical. News of his death came as a shock to his hundreds of friends in Montana. Mr. Hutchens was born at Redwood, Jan. 1, 1867. He was graduated from Hamilton college in 1888 and began his newspaper career on the Rome, N. Y. Sentinel the same year.
In 1889 he came to Montana with George Lyman of the New York Sun, to take the city editorship of the Helena Independent under Mr. Lyman. Mr. Hutchens remained in Helena until 1893, when he returned to New York to take an editorial position with the Sun. He remained in New York for several years, working for the Sun, World and American.
Mr. Hutchens was a colleague of Arthur Brisbane of the World. When Brisbane first entered the employ of William Randolph Hearst he earned a reputation in the metropolis as a writer of stories of western life and was sent to Europe for a year as staff correspondent of the Sun.
Upon his return from Europe, Mr. Hutchens went to Chicago where he managed the editorial departments of the old Interocean and the Journal. He remained with the last named paper for 15 years. He was then appointed chairman of the Illinois Democratic state committee.
Mr. Hutchens married Leila Kennedy of Syracuse in 1897. Mrs. Hutchens is now sojourning with her son, John, who until recently was drama editor of the New York Evening Post.
Since 1917, Mr. Hutchens had been managing editor of various Montana newspapers including the Missoula Missouilan and Sentinel, the Butte Miner and the Montana Free Press.
He left the Free Press just a month ago to enter a sanatorium at Salt Lake City, where death came to him suddenly Friday.
Besides his widow and son the departed is survived by his aged mother, Mrs. Mary F. Hutchens, of Antwerp, N. Y., and a daughter, Mrs. Eugene Finch of New Haven, Conn. Funeral services will be held at Antwerp and interment will be made in the family plot at Redwood cemetery.
As an editorial writer, Mr. Hutchens was considered without a peer in Montana. His editorial columns were of the vanishing type of militant editorial comment. He never failed to interest his readers with the diversity of subjects, the intimate knowledge he possessed of many things, a quiet but trenchant humor sometimes verging into irony, and a serious concern with everything human.
He was held in reverent esteem by the men who worked under him, each of whom held him in considerable awe because of his metropolitan experience in the days before standardized newspaper methods.
The Montana Free Press in an editorial printed in tribute to Mr. Hutchens today said:
“The passing of Martin Hutchens leaves a gap in the Montana newspaper fraternity that will be hard to fill. Many old timers of his own calling and others in this state will miss his friendly smile and genial talk, and feel his death with deep sorry and regret.”
“The passing of Martin Hutchens leaves a gap in the Montana newspaper fraternity that will be hard to fill. Many old timers of his own calling and others in this state will miss this friendly smile and genial talk, and feel his death with deep sorry and regret.”
(Special To The Times.)
Antwerp, Jan. 14. -- The body of Martin J. Hutchens, who died Saturday at Holy Cross hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah, will be brought to this village for funeral and interment. Arrangements for the funeral have not yet been completed but it is expected burial will be made in Hillside cemetery in this village. The remains will arrive here in about three days.
Mr. Hutchens was born at Redwood, Jan. 1, 1867, a son of Dr. Martin Joy Hutchens and Mary Fuller Hutchens. He attended the Redwood schools and Kirkland preparatory school. Later he entered Hamilton college, graduated with the class of 1888. On Dec. 41, 1887, he married Leila Kennedy of Syracuse.
After graduating from college he secured a position on the Rome Sentinel. Later he went to Helena, Mont., where he was city editor of the Helena Independent from 1889 to 1893. After severing his connections with the Helena paper he went to New York where from 1893 to 1902 he worked in various capacities for The New York Evening Journal. In 1901 he went to Chicago where he became managing editor of the Chicago American. Later he was managing editor of the Chicago Inter-Ocean and for 15 years was managing editor of the Chicago Evening Journal. In 1917 he went to Missoula, Mont., and until 1926 he was editor and publisher of the Daily Missoula Sentinel. In the fall of 1927 he became editor of the Butte, Mont., Miner. This paper was sold and on Oct. 1, 1927, he established the Montana Free Press of which he was editor at the time of his death.
He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Leila Kennedy Hutchens; his mother, Mrs. Mary F. Hutchens of Antwerp, one daughter, Mrs. Eugene Finch, New Haven, Conn., and one son, John Hutchens, former movie critic of The New York Evening Post but now assistant editor of the Movie Art magazines in New York.
Born at Redwood 61 years ago Martin J. Hutchens was another northern New York boy to lend luster to newspaperdom, and after a service which had taken him into the employ of the greatest newspapers in America--the old New York Sun, the New York World, the New York American and the Chicago Interocean as well as the leading dailies in Montana--he was one of the editors recognized by the Carnegie Foundation in 1927. At that time, Mr. Hutchens was chosen to tour Europe and study economic conditions. He was then editor and one of the owners of the Missoula Daily Missoulian of Missoula, Mont. He sold his newspaper, however, and did not go to Europe.
Perhaps his most distinctive work in newspaper letters was performed in Montana, to which state he went for permanent location many years ago. There, he became a writer of militant editorials.
As the editor of the Missoulian for several years, and in the last months of his life as editor of the Butte Miner and the Montana Free Press, both of Butte, Montana, the great copper state, he wrote some editorials so outspoken and trenchant, on governmental conditions there, that he was blackjacked in an alley one night only a few months prior to his death. It was notice to him to get out of the city in three days. Instead he chose to remain, determined to learn the identity of the assailant and then to take the law into his own hands and kill him.
It was attributed by Mr. Hutchens as only another step in the conflict between the Anaconda Copper company and the W. A. Clark interests, the latter embracing millions accumulated in the copper mining and smelting business by the late Senator W. A. Clark, now represented by his son.
For many years the Butte Miner, of which he had been made editor early in 1928 having some time before disposed of his interests in the Missoulian, had been owned and controlled by W. A. Clark, Jr. There was bad blood between the Anaconda company and the Clarks.
He went to Butt and started in in a mild way to criticise (sic) the methods of the big company, which for years has held an iron grip on the state government. Clark sustained him in his position and under the terms of the elder Clark's will Junior was left in charge. Then the Anaconda made a deal with the other heirs to buy all of the Clark interests in Montana, mines, mills, smelters, a street railway, large timber interest, newspapers, and a good deal of other property amounting in all to about $10,000,000, all this for the purpose of putting the Miner out.
Notwithstanding that the company's candidate in the state was given a bad beating in the July primaries. After purchase the Miner was consolidated with the Anaconda Standard under the name, Montana Standard, but Clark was a game fighter and over the telephone he instructed Hutchens and others to start a new afternoon and Sunday newspaper. This was done and Hutchens became its editor.
The story of Martin Hutchens' life during the year or more that he was on the Butt Miner and the Montana Free Press is as colorful as anything that has come out of the west in the last half century.
In spite of every conceivable obstacle thrown in their way, they got the paper under way in 40 days, and then started in a barrage on the Anaconda. The paper went over big with the public.
"A short time ago I got a rap on the head while passing an alley, and a few kicks in the ribs, but before I could turn over and get my gun out the fellow was lost in the alley," Mr. Hutchens said recently. "This is supposed to be a notice to get out of town within three days, and has been worked often before.
"I was laid up a few days but went back on the job."
About a month ago Mr. Hutchens resigned his position as editor of the newly organized Montana Free Press of which W. A. Clark, jr., was the president and controlling factor. Ill health compelled him to do so.
He was well known in the Antwerp-Redwood-Theresa district of Jefferson county. Particularly was he known to Attorney Delos M. Cosgrove, of the local law firm of Cobb, Cosgrove, Harter & Wright, to Harold B. Johnson, editor of The Times and to former District Attorney E. Robert Wilcox who formed a friendship with him during their college days at Hamilton college. He has visited Watertown and his old home town of Redwood on occasions, having been here within the past two years, after severing his connections with the Missoula Missoulian.
Coming back east he went to New York and from 1894 to 1896 was a reporter on the New York Sun. At that time the Sun was at its best and had the reputation of being the “newspaper man’s newspaper. Its writers were exceedingly clever and its stories were written in an unusually attractive manner.
For three years he was reporter and staff correspondent on the New York World, always on of the best in the country and from 1899 to 1903 he was with the Hearst interests on the New York American and later as city editor of the Chicago American and Examiner. He was successively city editor and managing editor of the Chicago Inter-Ocean and managing editor of the Chicago Journal.
With George C. Rice and Lester L. Jones he purchased the Missoula Daily Missoulian and the Missoula Sentinel from former United States Senator Joseph M. Dixon in 1917.
“Martin Hutchens was the son of the late Dr. Martin Hutchens, for many years a practicing physician at Redwood,” said Attorney Delos M. Cosgrove today. “Dr. Hutchens married Miss Mary Fuller, a sister of the mother of Attorney A. Raymond Cornwall of this city and Fuller F. Cornwall of Alexandria Bay. She was also the sister of Mrs. William M. Thompson of Alexandria Bay, mother of Judge Thompson.
“Dr. Hutchens was a man of very great talent and his wife was one of the finest of women. Martin Hutchens was a fine, talented fellow, who made a marked success in the newspaper business. He attended school at Redwood and then went to Hamilton college, where he was a classmate of Principal Gary M. Jones of the local High school. He was also a classmate of A. E. Kessinger of the Rome Sentinel, and I believe started his newspaper career on the Sentinel with Kessinger. He had a brother, Dr. Frank Hutchens of Antwerp, who was also very talented.
“Matt Hutchens was in my class at Hamilton, and was one of the most popular men of his time in that institution,” said Principal Gary M. Jones today. “He was a member of Sigma Phi fraternity and an A1 chap in every respect.”
Typist’s Note: There was no year indicated on this scrapbook item; however, information located elsewhere shows the date of publication to have been January 14, 1929.
Ceremony Is Solemnized By Rev. D. G. Barr, the Rector--Bridegroom Is Owner and Manager of Clayton Roofing Company.
(Special to The Times.)
Clayton, June 30. -- Miss Rita Branch, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nelson J. Branch, Clayton, and Harry Butcher, son of Mr. and Mrs. Judson Butcher, Clayton, were married at 9 a.m. today in Christ Episcopal church here by Rev. D. G. Barr, the rector. They were attended by Mrs. Otto Holbein, sister of the bride, as matron of honor, Otto Holbein as best man and Miss Mary Elizabeth Butcher, Clayton, sister of the bridegroom, and Miss Margaret Shaeffer, Lockport, as bridesmaids.
The ushers were Gordon Bennett, Watertown, and George Rogers, Schenectady. The church was filled with invited guests. It was decorated with roses and wild flowers.
The bride wore a gown of chalk crepe with white turban, face veil, white shoes and lace mitts. She carried lilies of the valley. The matron of honor was gowned in yellow crepe with white lace hat and accessories to match. She carried yellow roses and bachelor buttons. The bridesmaids were attired in blue flat crepe, white straw hats and matching accessories. They carried pink roses and bachelor buttons.
The processional and recessional were played by Miss Margaret Lieterman of this village. Two soli, “I Love You Truly” and “O Perfect Love”, were sung by Miss Lucille Lieterman of Clayton.
The bride’s mother wore light blue chiffon and white hat and white shoes. She wore a corsage of white sweet peas. The bridegroom’s mother was dressed in light brown figured crepe with accessories to harmonize. She wore a corsage of tea roses.
The bride’s gifts to her attendants were crystal beads. The bridegroom’s gifts to the best man and ushers were combination pen and pencil sets. The bridegroom’s gift to the bride was a white gold wrist watch and the bride’s gift to the bridegroom was a white gold watch chain.
Mrs. Butcher has been honored at several variety showers and garden parties, both in Clayton and Massena.
After Mrs. Butcher graduated from Clayton High school in 1924, she entered St. Lawrence university, graduating from that institution in 1928. In college she was a member of Delta, Delta, Delta, Kalon, the Literary club, Debate club, Honorary Athletic club, International Relations club and the Glee club. She won the freshman activities cup, played basketball four years and was captain of the team during her third year. She was vice president of her sophomore class and vice president of the Women’s Athletic association.
For three years after her graduation from college, Mrs. Butcher taught English at Antwerp High school. For the past years she has taught at Massena High school.
Mr. Butcher attended Clayton High school. He is the owner and general manager of the Clayton Roofing company.
Following the ceremony a wedding breakfast was served at Frontenac Crystal Springs. Among those who attended were Mr. and Mrs. Butcher, Mr. and Mrs. Nelson J. Branch, Mr. and Mrs. Judson Butcher, Rev. D. G. Barr, Arche Branch, Watertown, Miss Esther Wright, Ogdensburg, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Alton, Antwerp, Miss Hilda Healy, Norwood, Gordon Bennett, Watertown, George Rogers, Schenectady, and the Misses Lucille and Margaret Lieterman, Clayton.
Following the wedding breakfast the couple left on a motor trip through the New England states. They will be at home at 415 John street, Clayton, after July 5.
(Special to The Times.)
Alexandria Bay, Sept. 19. -- With both wrists slashed, the pockets of his clothing filled with large stones and a heavy rock tied to his left fore-arm by his belt, the body of Guy J. Zoller, 50, of this village, brother of Glenn Zoller who in January, 1931, shot and killed his wife and then committed suicide, was found about 8:45 p.m. Sunday in about six feet of water, some 12 feet from the Sherman boathouse, at Edgewood Park. Zoller had been missing since early Friday morning.
“It is apparently a case of suicide,” said Assistant District Attorney Carol J. Hynes who, with Sheriff Frank D. Walrath, investigated the case. Mr. Hynes said that he was unable to discover any evidence to disclose foul play.
The body was discovered after an extensive search of about six hours, which resulted from the finding earlier Sunday morning of some of Zoller’s personal effects on a high cliff nearby. W. Gilbert Freeman, manager of the Edgewood club hotel, discovered a pocketbook, bill fold, jack knife, watch and flexible rule while taking a walk shortly after noon Sunday on the cliff. There was a hunting license bearing Zoller’s name in the purse.
Mr. Freeman notified Dr. Harold L. Gokey, mayor of the village, and the two men went to Zoller’s home in Cornwall street where Mrs. Zoller made identification of the articles.
Mrs. Zoller also told them her husband had not returned since he left home early Friday morning.
Worry over having damaged a motor boat, property of the Hoffman Construction company on last Wednesday night, is advanced for his despondency. Zoller, who had accepted a position with the Hoffman company several months ago, took the boat and with a friend, Ralph Steinbarge, ticket solicitor, started out for a joy ride among some Canadian islands.
While returning the boat, “Betty” was run onto the shoals in the Canadian channel sometime before midnight. The two men shouted and managed to attract attention of a passing boat, passengers on which notified Edwin White of the Adams Boat Works of their situation. Mr. White went with another boat and brought the stranded men back to Alexandria Bay, leaving the “Betty” on the shoals.
On Thursday morning early, Zoller, White and other employes of the Adams Boat Works, in two boats, hauled the “Betty” off the shoal and towed it to the boat house. Zoller and boat carpenters worked all day repairing the damaged hull. Officials of the Hoffman company were not told of the injury to the boat until Thursday. Zoller was at home Thursday night.
About 6 a.m. Friday Zoller left home. He was last seen by Patrolman H. E. Smith, who said Zoller was walking out the state road,. Zoller told the officer he was going to the stone quarry to do some work.
The finding of Zoller’s personal effects started an immediate search, Fred Knight and Joseph Brown, with their boats, and the Julius Breitenbach tug, were used. Mr. Knight is proprietor of the Riverview cottages.
A searchlight on the Fred Knight boat, located the body about 8:45 p.m. In the boat with Mr. Knight, was Morris Knight and Samuel Guerreri. Morris Knight manipulated the searchlight from the bow of the boat. Richard Zoller and George Chayne, also assisted in the search.
Assistant District Attorney Carl J. Hynes, and Sheriff Walrath, were notified and they arrived about 10:30 p.m. It is thought he had removed his personal effects on top of the 30 foot high cliff, and then walked down to the shore to commit the act. It is believed that after filling his pockets with the stones, and tying the heavy rock to his arm, that he walked out into the river.
Guy J. Zoller, was born on the Goose Bay road, April 10, 1882, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Zoller, this village. He received his education and spent practically his entire life in this village. At one time he was in the United States navy.
For many years he had been employed by the George C. Boldt estate. He then became associated with the Weller garage in Church street as mechanic. He later became manager, a position held for six years. Last February he severed connection with the garage. He then secured the position with the Hoffman company, to operate the speed boat for transporting officials from their Alexandria Bay offices to the drill boat, which is being used in dredging the shoals.
Besides his wife he is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Zoller, and three children, Marion, 18, Richard, 17, and Dorothy, 5.
The body was removed Sunday night to the Roseboom Undertaking parlors.
Funeral services will be held Tuesday morning at 9:30 from the Roseboom Undertaking parlors with burial in Church street cemetery.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1932, was handwritten at the top of this article.
The death of George Hotis, 81, retired farmer, occurred Wednesday afternoon about 3 at his home on Maple street. Mr. Hotis had been in failing health for the past three years.
George Hotis was born in Germany, Sept. 1, 1850, a son of George and Katherine Neuroth Hotis and removed at the age of three years with his parents from Dempsted, Germany, to America.
They settled in LaFargeville where his father took up farming and was also a musician.
Mr. Hotis, who was one of a family of nine children, remained with his father until he was of age. Thanksgiving, Nov. 25, 1880, he married Miss Allie Hall. After a few years they commenced housekeeping on a farm near Redwood where they lived eleven years and then purchased the Hughes' farm on Carter street where they remained 13 years. Retiring from farm life they bought this present home in this village where they have resided the past 24 years.
He is survived by his widow, one son, Orra, two grandchildren, Hershal and Herald (sic) and one great-grandson, Robert Orra, also by one sister, Mrs. Laura Wetterhahn, and two brothers, Henry Hotis of Theresa and Fred Hotis of Plessis.
Funeral will be held from home Saturday at 2 p.m., Rev. C. V. Sparling, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, conducting the services. Burial in the family plot at Omar.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1932, was handwritten at the top of Mr. Hotis’s obit.
Adam A. Flaith of Pamelia and Mrs. Leone G. Hurd, 231 Central street, were married Wednesday evening at the parsonage of Bethany Methodist Episcopal church, Rev. Edgar O. Spaven officiating.
The couple was attended by Miss Lillian Hurd, daughter of Mrs. Hurd, and Mrs. E. O. Spaven.
This is the second marriage for both, their former mates having died.
Mr. Flaith is a farmer and owns a home at Pamelia. For the present Mr. and Mrs. Flaith will reside at Mrs. Flaith’s home at 231 Central street. In the spring they will go to Pamelia to reside.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1932, was handwritten at the top of this write-up. Please note the spelling of the name, Flaith.
Mrs. Day Has Been Employed in Farmers National Bank, Theresa, for the Past 15 Years---Mr. Day Is National Bank Examiner---Ceremony Performed by Rev. C. E. Hastings Assisted by Rev. C. N. Eddy.
Theresa, July 18. -- Miss Gertrude Mae Rowe, for 15 years connected with the Farmers National bank in this village, several years of which time she was assistant cashier, was married Sunday, at her home in Main street, to Donald Sheldon Day, Watertown, national bank examiner, Rev. C. E. Hastings, local pastor, performed the ceremony, assisted by Rev. Condit N. Eddy, rector of St. Paul’s church, Watertown, who made the closing prayer.
At 1 p.m. Mrs. Maude Soper took her place at the piano and began playing the Mendelssohn wedding march. The bridegroom, with his attendant, Charles Gruber, West Orange, N. J., took his place in the parlor. They were soon followed by the bride, who had her sister, Miss Irene Rowe, as her bridesmaid. Rev. C. E. Hastings used the ring service of the Methodist ritual. Rev. Mr. Eddy gave the closing prayer.
Directly after the wedding a luncheon was served.
Those attending the wedding were: Mrs. Laura Jeffrey, Rochester; Mrs. Fred Day, Malone; Mrs.
Vaughn Day, St. Regis Falls; Charles Wallace, Rev. Condit N. Eddy, Mr. and Mrs. Howard Frink, Mrs. George Reynolds, Frank Coston, George Acker, Ruth Glazier, Watertown; Mr. and Mrs. S. Green, Mr. and Mrs. S. E. McCullaugh, Mrs. A. Forsyth, Vida Reynolds, Gladys Green, Kingston, Ont.; Rev. and Mrs. C. E. Hastings, Mr. and Mrs. George P. Schwarz, Col. and Mrs. Fred A. Cooper, Mrs. Fred Howland, Mrs. A. Wilcox and Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Rowe, Theresa; Irene Rowe, Watertown; Charles Grube, Boonville and West Orange.
Mrs. Day is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edgar L. Rowe of this village and attended the high school here. She entered the Farmers National bank some 15 years ago. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, of the Live Wire class of the Methodist Sunday school, of the Theresa chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, having been an officer at different times in this lodge, and in the Sunday school class.
She has also been a member of the church orchestra and played with the Theresa band.
Mr. Day is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Day, Malone, the family being natives of St. Lawrence county. He began his banking work when a young man and soon was selected by the government to do bank examiner work.
Mr. and Mrs. Day left Sunday afternoon for their home at 130 Michigan avenue, Watertown, where they will be at home to their friends.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1932, was handwritten at the top of this write-up.
Died in Hepburn Hospital, Ogdensburg, After Illness of Few Hours---Years Ago Was Cashier at Crossmon House and For Past 20 Years at Thousand Island House---Oxford Graduate.
(Special to The Times.)
Alexandria Bay, Dec. 6. -- Arthur E. Hume, 80, this village, died at A. Barton Hepburn hospital, Ogdensburg, at 11 Monday night after an illness of only a few hours.
Mr. Hume, who had been cashier at the Thousand Island House here for 20 years, and Charles Thompson of this village, were returning from Lake St. Francis, near Montreal, where they had visited a friend. As they were approaching Ogdensburg Mr. Hume became ill and was taken to the hospital upon his arrival in that city.
Mr. Hume was born in Middlesex, England, May 26, 1852, and was a nephew of Lord Hume, author of Hume’s History of England. He attended Cambridge and later Oxford where he received a degree. After his graduation from Oxford he resided for some years in Norfolk, England.
He came to the United States when a young man to visit his brother in North Carolina. While making a trip through this section he became enthusiastic about the Thousand Islands and decided to make his home in this village. He at first resided with George Dobbins, well known hunting and fishing guide, and later he resided with Mark Springer. Thirty-five years ago he went to reside with Henry Burtch and had since lived with Mr. Burtch.
Mr. Hume got a considerable sum of money from the settlement of the estate of relatives in England. Years ago he acted as cashier during the summers at the Crossmon House. Later he became cashier at the Thousand Island House, a position which he had held for the past 20 years.
About 45 years ago Mr. Hume built and operated the old Hume roller skating rink on the site of Convention hall. The building burned down about 35 years ago and convention hall was built on the site. Years ago Mr. Hume was active in the Alexandria Bay fire department and served for a time as chief. He endowed the Hume hook and ladder company and donated the equipment which the company now uses.
Keenly interested in Masonry, Mr. Hume had held every office in the local Masonic lodge. He had been secretary of the lodge for 15 years. Five years ago he was elected grand steward of the grand lodge of the state of New York. He was a 32nd degree Mason.
Besides being a member of Alexandria lodge, F. & A. M., he belonged to the Theresa chapter, R. A. M.; Watertown Commandery, No. 11, K. T.; Order of the Eastern Star; White Shriner; Rebekah lodge and the local lodge of Odd Fellows.
Funeral services will be held at the local Masonic temple Thursday at 2 p.m., Rev. D. D. Douglas, rector of St. Lawrence Episcopal church, officiating. Interment will be made in Walton street cemetery. Masonic services will be held at the grave and members of the local lodge will act as bearers.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1932, was handwritten at the top of Mr. Hume’s obit.
Mr. Bickelhaupt Was President of Redwood Bank, Director of Jefferson County National Bank and Trustee of Watertown Savings Bank---Sold Cheese Business in 1928.
(Special to The Times.)
Redwood, Dec. 27. -- Adam Bickelhaupt, 84, banker and retired cheese manufacturer, died at his home here Christmas eve.
Mr. Bickelhaput had been in ill health for several years but was around the home during the afternoon Saturday. About 4 p.m. he complained of shortness of breath and his son, Carl, called a physician. Efforts to save him, however, were futile. (a photo of Adams appeared at this juncture).
Mr. Bickelhaupt was one of the north country’s outstanding men and the leading limburger cheese maker of the east in his day. Starting as the poorest of poor boys he fought his way upward to the high position he held at the time of his death. He never forgot to live up to his ideal of making a good life first and money afterwards. But for his great courage there were times in his life when he was entering the mercantile field and later as a cheese manufacturer, he would have gone down in defeat. A man with less courage would have given up to the heavy odds against him--but not so with Mr. Bickelhaupt.
He was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, March 10, 1848. He often recalled how his people came to leave Germany and come to America. His father, Hieronemus Bickelphaupt, had a comfortable home in Germany. He was the owner of a team and wagon and made a modest living by driving from their village to the boat on the river the passengers who were leaving for America. The wagon also carried the few belongings the departing families took with them. The mother, Margaret Hartman Bickelhaupt, milked the cow, kept the small farm and looked after the needs of the family. It was two of her brothers who decided first to go to America and they rode to the River Rhine in the wagon of their brother-in-law, Hieronemus, when he made his early morning trip. They said they expected to get rich in the New World. The Bickelhaupts were satisfied to remain in Germany.
But a streak of hard luck in which the family lost three horses, one after the other, and at last lost the family cow, changed the situation so that they decided to go to America.
Mr. Bickelhaupt used to tell how he was but five years old when they left Germany. He was sound asleep that early morning when his uncle came in to his little room to awaken him with the call that “they must start for America.” He remembered with great clearness the picture of the family in the dark of the early morning walking rather sadly about the room with their belongings tied up in sheets, shawls and boxes, for the start for the river Rhine. The wagon came up the street and the uncle took little Adam on his shoulder and went up the little path round the house to the street. A few years ago a person from that same town told Mr. Bickelhaupt the little path was still there.
It was a long trip of some five weeks sailing. The family found the place to take the train in New York city and were away into the country to live with people whose language they could not speak. They reached Watertown at 10 in the night, landing at the old Court street station--for that was 78 years ago. The city was dark. They made their way up Court street seeking to find a Mr. Failing to whom they were directed and who could speak German. They discovered, after many signs, they were going wrong. Passing back over the old Court street bridge the cousin of Adam, little Adam Hartman, died in his father’s arms. It was a sad and discouraged family group that stood at the door of Mr. Failing at midnight--strangers in a strange city.
In Redwood the family found friends from their native land. One man gave them rooms in his summer milk house. The father got a job for a farmer on the Calaboga road. The little son, Adam, began helping his mother at once. He never ceased his efforts to help and work.
There came the time, after some months at district school and working on a farm, that Adam Bickelhaupt had a hint that a merchant in Redwood would want the service of a boy to learn the business. The merchant would give preference to a German boy who could speak the language and was acquainted with the many German families in that section; a boy industrious, honest and helpful. He was partial to Adam Bickelhaupt and made him an offer. The father was working hard on the farm they had bought and young Adam had worked hard with him to help pay for it. But the change for the store seemed too good to refuse. Adam hired out and was to be on duty at 6 each morning. It looked easy after being up on the farm before 4 each morning. Adam saw he must improve his education. He studied bookkeeping. He won much trade to the store of Mr. Holmes.
When the opportunity came for Mr. Bickelhaupt to enter business with another he accepted the opportunity, but ran into trouble that nearly turned him back. All sorts of discouragements came. His partners were not equal to the task. It ended in Mr. Bickelhaupt buying out the business although his means were very limited. After he got the business there were those who sought to stop his credit with the business houses and for a time new goods could not be secured without spot cash. But in the end it was a great blessing. Mr. Bickelhaupt was obliged to limit his stock and he had every discount that cash made him. He was buying his goods the cheapest of any person around and his overhead was low because of the small stock.
A cousin came with a suggestion that they buy the milk of a neighborhood on the Hammond road, near South Hammond. The farmers were looking for a place to sell their milk and it looked like a good opportunity to make limburger cheese. It ended in Adam going into partnership in the deal---expecting only a few months adventure in the business. They made well and continued. The market after a time went bad. The partner left the business and also the debts. Adam Bickelhaupt was again fighting for his business. It looked as if he must lose all and more than all. He fought on and in the end won. He sold his store and put his all in the limburger business. He enlarged the business. He sought new and better methods. In all he succeeded. He built up his cheese business until he had a string of 23 factories. He was the largest cheese manufacturer in the east. His brand of cheese was known in many states and commanded the highest price in eastern and western markets. He built a cold storage plant for his cheese and that made him money. All this buying of milk for the 23 factories brought him in touch with many farmers. In all his dealing through all the years there was never a farmer but who sang his praises and boasted the friendly way Mr. Bickelhaput used them. Often he paid a higher price for the milk than he agreed do
Mr. Bickelhaupt in this business life had a dream. It was that Redwood have a bank. He launched the movement and when others faltered in putting up money he threw in his own without stint. He became its first president. The bank has prospered. It is considered the highest ranked bank in the section today. Mr. Bickelhaput wanted more. He insisted that the bank should have a new building. He had saved land for it near his own fine home. The new building was completed the first of the year and Mr. Bickelhaupt was a happy and contented man.
In the political field Mr. Bickelhaupt had his experience and a happy one. He was asked when in the store if he would not consent to let his name go on the ticket for town clerk. He was a Democrat and Alexandria was Republican by some majority. But Mr. Bickelhaupt won. After a little they suggested his name for supervisor. He did not want to let his name go against Mr. Marshall, a friend. But it went on the ticket and Mr. Bickelhaupt lost. The next year he went into the battle and won over Mr. Marshall and for years was the supervisor of the town--a portion of the time endorsed by the Republicans. He felt that he had given his share of time to his town and refused to serve longer. All this was regretted by his fellow townsmen who had come to rely upon his good judgment in town affairs.
On July 14, 1874, Mr. Bickelhaupt married Miss Mina L. Olney, going to Watertown to have the presiding elder of the Methodist church perform the ceremony. Two daughters passed away in early life. Mrs. Bickelhaupt passed away in June, 1921, and it was a severe blow to Mr. Bickelhaupt. The calender (sic) she used and marked was never taken from the wall during these nine years.
There are two sons, Miles Bickelhaupt of Utica and Carl of Redwood. A daughter, Mrs. Earl Hathaway, resides in Syracuse.
Mr. Bickelhaupt carried on the business along until 1915 when his son, Carl, entered the firm. He and his son actively engaged in the cheese business until 1928 when they sold to the National Dairy company.
He served as supervisor of the town of Alexandria from 1885 to 1887 and from 1898 to 1906. With Christian Ahles he started the Sunday school of St. Paul’s Lutheran church of Redwood in 1878. For years he was a teacher in the Sunday school.
Mr. Bickelhaupt was a member of the Lutheran church and treasurer of the Sunday school at the time of his death, having just been re-elected a short time ago. He was the oldest member of Alexandria Lodge, No. 297, F. and A. M.; Theresa Chapter 149, R. A. M., Watertown Commandery 11, Syracuse consistory and a life member of Media Shrine. He was a charter member of Lakeside Lodge No. 338, I. O. O. F. and a charter member of that organization. He was president of the Redwood National bank; vice-president of the Redwood National bank; vice-president of the First National bank of the Thousand Islands at Alexandria Bay, director of the Jefferson County National bank of Watertown and a trustee of the Watertown Savings bank.
Funeral services were held from the home here this afternoon at 2. Interment was made in the Redwood cemetery.
Typist’s Note: “24 Dec. 1932” appeared at the top of this long, obit.
Return to Jefferson County Tidbits
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact: Nancy Dixon
http://jefferson.nygenweb.net/tid13.htm updated July 21, 2017
Copyright © 1997 — 2018 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page