Copied and arranged by volunteer Shirley Farone

Alexandria & Orleans: Part: 8

Part: 1Part: 2Part: 3Part: 4Part: 5Part: 6Part: 7Part: 8
Part: 9Part: 10Part: 11Part: 12Part: 13Part: 14Part: 15Part: 16


Attorney Delos M. Cosgrove of this city today paid the following tribute to Adam Bickelhaupt:

“Last Saturday evening in the village of Redwood, Adam Bickelhaupt’s life came to an end. Eighty years ago as a boy of four, he came with his immigrant parents to the village in which he spent his long and useful life. Leaving the farm and the country school at 13, he began his business career as a clerk, then a merchant, later a manufacturer and still later a banker. For half a century he has been one of the outstanding men of our county, and the business which he developed made his name known in many of the communities of this country.

“With all his business activities, he found time to serve his church, his school and his town. He brought to every position he filled, a sound judgment and a record of fair and honorable dealings. No man of our north country was more highly respected by his business associates or more deeply loved by his friends. The story of his life is an inspiration to every struggling boy, a legacy to the children and an honor to his parents who brought him as a child to this land where he made the most of its opportunities.”



Had Taught School at Black River, Woodville, Redwood and South Hampton, L. I.

(Special to The Times.)

Hammond, Oct. 24. -- Miss Charlotte Clark, 67, Redwood, died at 5:20 Sunday afternoon at the Allen homestead on the Chippewa Bay road, where she had been a guest for the past six weeks.

Miss Clark was born in Redwood May 20, 1865, a daughter of Charles and Harriet Tann Clark. She was educated in the Redwood schools and at Potsdam Normal school, graduating from the latter institution in 1892.

Miss Clark had been a school teacher for over 40 years. She taught at Black River, Woodville and Redwood and in September, 1902, went to South Hampton, L. I., where she taught 29 years. She resigned in June, 1931. Miss Clark had spent the summers at her home in Redwood. She was a member of the Redwood Baptist church.

Last fall Miss Clark went to South Hampton for the winter. She became ill there but returned to her home in Redwood last spring. During the summer she spent some time in Hepburn hospital, Ogdensburg, and later spent several weeks in St. Vincent de Paul hospital at Brockville, Ont. She was removed to the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. P. Allen hear here on Sept. 7. She was a close friend of Miss Ada Allen who taught school with her at South Hampton.

Miss Clark is survived by a foster sister, Mrs. Martha Joyce Bangs, Jersey City, N. J., and several cousins, including H. D. Tann and Mrs. Bangs were with her when she died.

Funeral services will be held from the Allen homestead Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. Interment will be made at Redwood.

Typist’s Note: 1932 was written at the top of this obit.



Bride is Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Leiterman of Clayton
--Bridegroom Is Graduate of St. Lawrence University.

Clayton, Dec. 5. -- Miss Margaret Lena Leiterman, younger daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Leiterman of Clayton, became the bride of Norris Joseph Houghton, only son of Mrs. Louine Houghton and the late Norris A. Houghton of Alexandria Bay, at 10 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 3, in Christ’s Episcopal church, Clayton. Rev. G. D. Barr, rector of the church, officiated.

The bride wore a princess gown of ivory bridal satin with train and a tulle veil bordered with embroidery and held in place by a tulle cap with a circle of orange blossoms. She carried a white prayer book. Miss Lucile O. Leiterman, sister of the bride, served as maid of honor. She wore daytona yellow satin trimed with angleskin (sic) lace with daytona yellow satin turban and gold slippers and carried yellow and white chrysanthemums.

The bridesmaids were Miss Elizabeth Houghton of Boonville, sister of the bridegroom, Miss Ethelwyn Gray, Clayton, and Miss Bernice Barnum, Boston, Mass., college friend of the bride. The bridesmaids wore gowns of sea foam green satin with matching turbans and silver slippers and carried yellow chrysanthemums.

Paul Allison of Aurora, college friend of the bridegroom, acted as best man. Osborne Steele, Clayton, and Douglas Wheeler, Alexandria Bay, and Jay Wheeler, Rochester, acted as ushers. Miss Mary E. Render, Antwerp, gave a short musical program on the organ while the guests were arriving. Miss Render played “From All the World I’ve Chosen You” by Coby, “Dawn” by Jenkins, “At Dawning” by Cadman and “Love Dream” by Liszt. The bridal party entered the church to the bridal march from “Lohengrin” by Wagner. During the ceremony Miss Render played “O Perfect Love.” The party left the church to the march from “The Midsummer Night’s Dream” by Mendelssohn. While the guests were leaving Miss Render played “Pomp and Circumstance” by Edgar.

Miss Render, school friend of the bride’s mother, also served as organist at the wedding of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Leiterman. The church was decorated with palms, ferns, white and yellow chrysanthemums. White tapers burned on the altar during the ceremony.

Mrs. Leiterman, mother of the bride, wore a gown of dark blue satin with matching hat and Mrs. Houghton, mother of the bridegroom, was gowned in black velvet. Both mothers wore shoulder corsages of talisman roses.

Out of town guests at the wedding were Mr. and Mrs. Earl Hatheway and Jean Hatheway, Syracuse; Mr. and Mrs. Miles Bickelhaupt, Utica; Mr. and Mrs. Carl Bickelhaupt, Redwood; Mr. and Mrs. Adam Leiterman, Lafargeville; Mrs. Louine Houghton, Miss Mell Campbell, Mr. and Mrs. Vrooman, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Haas, Mr. and Mrs. Seaman Edgerly, Mr. and Mrs. Royal Garlock, Mr. Harold Houghton, Mrs. Ethel Leonard, Mrs. Bessie Wheeler, Mr. and Mrs. J. Brown, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Springer, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Putman, Mr. and Mrs. C. R. Wiltse, Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Ellis, Mr. and Mrs. D. H. Haas, William Estes, Dean Tidd, and James Blevina, all of Alexandria Bay and Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Graves of Watertown.

Prior to the marriage Mrs. Houghton was entertained at several prenuptial parties and showers given by Mrs. Robert Steele, Mrs. Charles Steele, Miss Ethelwyn Gray, Mrs. A. Q. Davis and Miss Lucile Leiterman of Clayton, Mrs. Royal Garlock, Miss Elizabeth Houghton and Miss Margaret Roder of Alexandria Bay.

Typist’s Note: 1932 was handwritten at the top of this write-up.



Retired Farmer and Representative of a Seed House
Had Been in Poor Health for Past Ten Years

(Special to The Times.)

Evans Mills, March 24. -- Fred Hotis, 69, retired farmer and representative for a seed house, died about 3:15 a.m. today at his home following a brief illness, although he had been in poor health for the past ten years. Death was due to a heart ailment.

Mr. Hotis was born in the town of Orleans on Sept. 5, 1862, son of John and Cornelia Eichorn Hotis. He resided in that section nearly all of life. Forty-six years ago he married Miss Sarah M. Bretsch. He farmed until 1919 when he retired and moved to Evans Mills. Since living in Evans Mills he was representative for the B. S. Metcalf & Son Seed company, of Syracuse. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and superintendent of the Evans Mills Cemetery association.

Besides his widow he is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Clark Washburn, Black River; one son, Ralph P. Hotis, Washington, D. C.; four grandchildren, Carolyn Hotis, Washington, D. C.; and Frederick, Francis and Ruth Washburn, Black River.

Funeral services will be held from the home Saturday at 1:30 p.m. and from the Methodist Episcopal church at 2 p.m., with Rev. Louis Bunce, pastor, officiating. Burial will be in the Evans Mills cemetery.

Typist’s Note: 1932 was written at the top of this obit.



Alexandria Bay, Sept. 30. -- Miss Marion Kavanaugh and Leo Shoulette, well known young people of this village, were married at 7:30 mass Wednesday morning by Rev. J. L. Tierney, pastor of St. Cyril’s church. Immediately after the ceremony Mr. and Mrs. Shoulette left for a motor trip to Niagara Falls and expect to be home to their friends after a week’s stay.

The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kavanaugh of Baileys Settlement. She is a graduate of the local high school and of Delbert’s school in Philadelphia. Since her graduation from Delbert’s Miss Kavanaugh has worked for a number of business concerns in Alexandria Bay.

Mr. Shoulette has resided with his parents at Godfrey’s Corners, near Alexandria Bay, since his birth and is a graduate of the local high school. At present Mr. Shoulette conducts a farm for his father at Godfreys Corners and expects to take up his residence there on his return from his wedding trip.

Typist’s Note: 1932 was handwritten at the top of this write-up.



Her Husband Was One of the Leading Physicians in Northern New York Years Ago
---Woman Celebrated 90th Birthday Sunday.

Mrs. Mary Fuller Hutchens, 90, of Antwerp, widow of Dr. Martin Hutchens of Redwood, who was one of the leading physicians of northern New York in his time, died about 8:30 this morning at her home in Antwerp.

She was the sister of Mrs. Andrew C. Cornwall of Alexandria Bay who died April 8 at Alexandria Bay, and an aunt of Attorney A. Raymond Cornwall of this city. Mrs. Hutchens had been ill since the week following the death of her sister.

Mrs. Hutchens was 90 years old Sunday. She was born May 15, 1842 at Alexandria Bay, the daughter of John W. and Marietta Shurtleff Fuller, pioneer settlers of the Thousand Island region.

Her father, John W. Fuller, was one of the first four settlers of Alexandria Bay and was a prominent lumberman and merchant of that village.

The Shurtleffs were among the early settlers of Theresa. Ancestors of Mrs. Hutchens, both in the Shurtleff and Fuller families, fought in the Revolutionary war and Mrs. Hutchens was entitled to membership in various patriotic societies, such as Colonial Dames, Daughters of the Mayflowers and Daughters of the American Revolution.

Mrs. Hutchens resided in Alexandria Bay until her marriage to Dr. Martin Hutchens of Redwood. After their marriage the couple lived at Redwood. Dr. Hutchens died there many years ago.

After the death of her husband Mrs. Hutchens moved to Antwerp to reside with her son, Dr. Frank F. Hutchens. Her son died April 17, 1922, and since that time she had lived at Antwerp alone.

Dr. and Mrs. Hutchens had two children, Martin J. Hutchens of Butte, Montana, and Dr. Frank F. Hutchens. The former lived at Butte until his death there Jan. 12, 1929. The other son lived at Antwerp until his death in 1922.

Surviving are a brother, John T. Fuller, 84, of Alexandria Bay: two grandchildren, Mrs. Helena Hutchens Finch of New Haven, Conn., and John Hutchens of New York city; two daughters-in-law, Mrs. Frank F. Hutchens and Mrs. Martin J. Hutchens; and several nieces and nephews, including Attorney A. Raymond Cornwall of this city.

Mrs. Hutchens was a member of the Episcopal church of Antwerp.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday at 2 p.m. from her home at Antwerp, Rev. Frederick C. Ransier, rector of St. Paul’s Episcopal church, Antwerp, officiating. Burial will be made in the family plot at Redwood.

Typist’s Note: 1932 was handwritten at the top of Mrs. Hutchens’ obit.



Funeral services for Anson H. Folts, 56, of Redwood, who died Wednesday night at the home of Mrs. William G. Price, Whitesboro, N. Y., will be held from his home at Redwood Saturday afternoon at 2. Burial will be made at Redwood.

Mr. Folts was born Jan. 5, 1876, at Theresa, the son of the late William and Margaret Alverson Folts, and had lived at Redwood for the last 15 years. Previously he had resided at Auburn and Corning, N. Y. and at Bayonne, N. J. He was connected with the Osborne company, manufacturers of general farm machinery, at Auburn, and while at Bayonne he was employed as a railroad fireman.

Thirty-one years ago he married Miss Catherine Doyle, a native of Ireland, at New York. Mrs. Folts died nine years ago.

Surviving are three brothers, Matthew Folts and Albert Folts of Theresa and Edward Folts of Redwood; a sister, Mrs. Don Simmons of Theresa; a son, Captain James M. Folts of Napanoch, N. Y.; a daughter, Miss Julia Folts of Syracuse; and a granddaughter, Leah Folts of Napanoch.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1932 was handwritten at the top of Mr. Folts’ obit.



(Special to The Times)

Carthage, Dec. 9. -- Mrs. Sarah Martin Hyle, 87, died at about 8:30 this morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. George Leiterman, 832 West street. Mrs. Hyle suffered a stroke just eleven weeks ago and had been seriously ill since then.

A native of Ireland, Mrs. Hyle was born in Donegal, April 6, 1845, the daughter of Alexander and Mary Martin. When three years old she came to Canada with her parents and lived in St. Thomas, Ont., until her marriage there on Dec. 18, 1867 to George C. Hyle of Redwood.

Mr. and Mrs. Hyle made their home in Redwood, where Mr. Hyle was a blacksmith, until 1903 when they moved to Syracuse. Mr. Hyle died in that city June 2, 1913, and his widow made her home with her daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Leiterman, thereafter. She had lived in Carthage for the past two and a half years, coming from Syracuse when Mr. Leiterman took charge of the Carthage branch of WAG Food, Inc.

Mrs. Hyle was a member of the Church of England while she resided in Canada.

Mrs. Leiterman and five grandchildren are the only direct survivors, although there are several nieces and nephews living in Canada.

Funeral services will be held Sunday at 2 p.m. from the Leiterman home with the Rev. Walter G. Wilmshurst, pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Interment will follow in the Redwood cemetery where Mr. Hyle is buried.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1932, was handwritten at the top of Sarah’s obit.



(Special to The Times.)

South Hammond, Nov. 21. -- Frank J. Dillen, 59, died Sunday morning at 9:10 at his home near Schermerhorn’s Landing, town of Hammond. Death followed a brief illness, although Mr. Dillen has been suffering from hardening of the arteries for the past two years.

He was born March 6, 1873, on the Redwood-Plessis road, near Redwood, the son of the late Jason C. and Cornelia Dillen. His parents were long residents of Watertown. His early life was spent at Redwood where he learned the barber’s trade from John True Vallie. For a few yeas he followed that occupation in Watertown.

Then he returned to Redwood where he remained until 1913 when he moved to the farm where he died. Since 1913 he had followed the occupation of a farmer. On Oct. 5, 1897, he married Miss Lena Catlin of Redwood. He was a member of the Baptist church of Redwood.

Surviving, besides his widow, are three sons, Harry L. Dillen of McMinnville, Ore., and Charles and Clifford Dillen of South Hammond; a daughter, Mrs. Clifton Slate, of Plessis; three brothers, George, Earl and Wendell Dillen of Watertown, and a sister, Mrs. R. Cooper, of Calcium.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete. Rev. Mr. Upham, pastor of the Baptist church of Philadelphia, will officiate. Burial will be made at Redwood.

Funeral services will be held from the home Tuesday at 1:30 p.m., Rev. Mr. Upham, pastor of the Philadelphia Baptist church, officiating. Burial will be in Redwood cemetery.

Typist’s Note: 1932 was handwritten at the top of Mr. Dillen’s obit.



Previously She Had Been Secretary to Senator George H. Cobb--
Funeral Services to Be Held Sunday Morning at 9:30

Miss Lucy Emma Zimmer, 39, private secretary to H. Edmund Machold of the New York financial house of F. L. Carlisle & company, died shortly after midnight at the home of her mother, Mrs. Kate Spaeth Zimmer, 1164 Academy street. While the cause of death is not given it is believed that Miss Zimmer, who had been in serious condition at the home of her mother for the past two years, suffered from a tumor so located at the base of the brain that it could not be removed by operation.

Miss Zimmer was one of the most rapid and efficient stenographers in this city, and after serving several years with the local law firm of Cobb, Cosgrove & Kimball, she became private secretary to Senator George H. Cobb when he became chairman of New York state's motion picture censorship commission. At the end of that service which had required her residence in New York city, she became private secretary to Mr. Machold, a position she held at the time of her death.

Miss Zimmer was born at Evans Mills, Oct. 24, 1893, a daughter of Mrs. Kate Spaeth and the late George Zimmer. She attended the Evans Mills schools and later removed to this city, where she became a student of the Northern Business College, from which she graduated.

Her first employment was as stenographer in the office of Judge Brayton A. Field in the Jefferson County National Bank building. At the end of two years she left Judge Field's office to accept a similar position in the offices of Cobb, Cosgrove & Kimball in the same building and was seven years with that firm, leaving it Aug. 1, 1921, to become private secretary to Chairman Cobb of the state censorship commission of motion pictures, with headquarters in New York. She remained in that capacity during the life of the commission and in January, 1926, accepted the private secretaryship to Mr. Machold, vice president of F. L. Carlisle & company.

Early in the fall of 1930 she developed an illness so serious that she was compelled to cease her duties in New York and return to the home of her mother in this city. Within several weeks she was taken to the Strong Memorial hospital which specializes in head troubles, but it was found inadvisable to operate and she returned to the home of her mother, in this city. Here she made a material improvement and was possessed of a determination to recover, which was of much benefit to her. During the past few weeks, however, her condition had become markedly worse and death resulted between 12 and 1 this morning.

Senator Cobb paid a high tribute to her today. "She was one of the most wonderful girls I have ever known," he said. "She was unusually efficient, she was keen, loyal and friendly. I deeply regret her illness and death."

The parents of Miss Zimmer were natives of Germany, but spent the greater part of their lives in this country, where they were substantial citizens.

Besides her mother, she is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Fred Riordan of Evans Mills and Miss Bertha Zimmer of this city.

Friends may call at the home between 3 and 5 Saturday afternoon. The funeral will be held from the residence at 9:30 Sunday morning, Rev. Harry Westbrook Reed, D. D., pastor of the All Souls Universalist church officiating. The body will be placed in the vault at Lafargeville for the balance of the winter. It was removed to the Howland Funeral Chapel following death this morning.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1932, appeared in pen at the top of Lucy’s obit. Also, the burial date of Jan. 1, 1933, was indicated.



Grandmother Lived in Philadelphia When Lafayette Made Farewell Tour---
Family Purchased One of the First Pianos Made in America.

(Special to The Times.)

Theresa, Nov. 24. Mrs. Mary C. Salisbury Walradt, 74, widow of Abram Walradt, died at her home here at 6 this morning.

She was born in Theresa, April 16, 1859, a daughter of the late Amos and Mary Ann Schmauss Salisbury. Her grandfather, John B. Schmauss, had charge of the Schmauss & Company plant of Redwood, a glass manufacturing concern, when it was at the height of its success.

Mr. and Mrs. John Schmauss lived in Philadelphia, Pa., at the time that General Lafayette, friend of George Washington, made his farewell tour of this country. Mrs. John Schmauss was one of those who strew flowers in his path, as he drove about the streets of Philadelphia in a six-horse coach at the time of his farewell reception.

She also attended the reception given in Philadelphia in honor of General Andrew Jackson, hero of the battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812, after that famous conflict. Jackson later became president of the United States.

Mr. Schmauss, who was of German extraction, purchased one of the first pianos manufactured in America. The piano is now in possession of the Salisbury family here.

The Salisburys purchased the home here of George W. Flower at the time Mr. Flower, who became Watertown’s first mayor, moved to Watertown. That residence still stands here.

Mrs. Walradt was married to Abram Walradt of Theresa, Oct. 24, 1877, in this village. He died about 22 years ago.

Mrs. Walradt had always resided in this village and had always been a member of the Presbyterian church of Theresa.

Surviving her are a sister, Miss Josephine Salisbury of Theresa; two brothers, DeAlton Salisbury of Rodman and John Salisbury of Minneapolis, Minn.

Funeral services will be held Monday afternoon at 2 at the Giltz Funeral home here. Rev. John Stoddard, pastor of the Theresa Presbyterian church, will officiate. Burial will be made in Oakwood cemetery of Theresa.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1933, was written at the top of this obit.



(Special To The Times)

Alexandria Bay, May 26. -- Mrs. Frances Alton Runnings, 39, wife of George Runnings, 10 Cornwall street, this village, died at 8:30 this morning at the Mercy hospital, Watertown, where she had been a patient since March 7. She had been ill since December.

Mrs. Runnings was born in the town of Alexandria, April 6, 1894, a daughter of Herbert and Mary Flath Alton. She was married to George Runnings Aug. 25, 1915, at Depauville, and had lived in this village for 15 years.

Surviving, besides her husband, are her parents of Sterlingville; five small children, Gerald, Isabelle, Luella, Webster and Leon Runnings, this village; a sister, Mrs. Sylvia McLear, Evans Mills, and three brothers, Leslie Alton of Watertown, Ray Alton of Syracuse and Roswell Alton of Philadelphia.

Funeral services will be held Monday at 2 p.m. at the Methodist Episcopal church here. Rev. C. G. Roop, pastor, will officiate. Burial will be made in Highland Park cemetery.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1933, appeared in pen at the top of this obit.



She Suffered No Particular Malady and Her Death Was Unexpected---
She Was in Ogdensburg Hospital For Care and to Be Near Her Son.

(Special to The times.)

Ogdensburg, Sept. 21. -- Mrs. Louisa Menken Madill, 87, mother of Dr. Grant C. Madill, died at 11

this morning in Hepburn hospital, where hundreds of patients have come and walked out filled with new life as the result of care given under the direction of her son, the noted north country surgeon.

Her death was peaceful and had not been expected so that none of the immediate survivors were at her bedside. She had been in the hospital since Aug. 1, but was not receiving treatment for any particular malady. She had been brought there to insure her the best of care and so that she might be near her son. Her death is ascribed to old age and its infirmities.

Born in New York city, April 10, 1846, in the days when the few hundred thousand people of Manhattan walked the streets in beaver hats and tilled farms within the city limits, she spent her early years there. Her parents were Frederick and Mary Hier Menken, who had come to this country from Germany.

Then after her mother had died and during the days of the Civil war, in 1862, she embarked for California, proceeding down the coast through the waters in which the Alabama and other privateers were then plying and to the isthmus of Panama.

After taking the trans-isthmus railroad through the fever infested jungles, she took ship again for California. Arriving there with the party of friends with whom she was travelling, she was met by her brother, Henry, who was living there.

The next year she met John Nelson Madill, a native of Lisbon, who had made the long trek across the continent soon after the lure of gold caught the imagination of the nation in 1849. They were married and there they set up housekeeping in a mining settlement in Tuoloume county. It was there that the son, Grant, was born.

Returning to Lisbon not long after his birth, the Madills spent the rest of their lives there. Their two daughters, Nellie and Minnie, were born in Lisbon. Mr. Madill died 20 years ago.

Mrs. Madill was a member of the First Presbyterian church of Lisbon and was long actively interested in its work.

Surviving are her son, Dr. Grant C. Madill; her daughter, Miss Minnie Madill, Lisbon, with whom she lived; two grandchildren, Mrs. Philip H. Gray, Montclar, N. J.; Edward James Madill, Prescott, Ont. The other daughter, Mrs. Nellie Madill Robinson, died last June. Four great-grandchildren also survive.

The funeral will be held at Lisbon but the arrangements are incomplete.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1933, appeared in pen at the top portion of this obit.



His Last Illness Began Latter Part of January and He Had Been
Confined to Bed Since Latter Part of February.

James M. Plato, 64, grocery merchant of this city for the last 19 years, died at 10 this morning at his residence, 306 Winslow street, of heart disease.

Mr. Plato had been in poor health since last May 13 when he suffered a heart attack. His last illness began the latter part of January and since the latter part of February he had been confined to his bed. He suffered a stroke March 7 which paralyzed his right side. His left side was left paralyzed as the result of a stroke he suffered Tuesday.

He was born May 19, 1868, at Plessis, a son of Enoch and Olive Ward Hart, both of whom were natives of the town of Alexandria. His parents died while he was still an infant. At the age of three he was adopted by Elnathan and Esther Vandeburg Plato, both of the town of Alexandria, and he took the name of Plato.

In his early life he was a farmer. In the winters he taught school in the town of Alexandria and during the summers he helped his foster-father on his farm.

Twenty years ago he came to Watertown from Brown’s Corners, town of Alexandria. Shortly afterward, he opened his first grocery store in the Solar building of 204 Franklin street, operating it for three years.

For five years he owned and operated a store at 542 State street, corner of State and High streets. Eleven years ago he built his present store at 619 Hamlin street and he had since been engaged in the grocery business there.

On Dec. 23, 1891, he married Miss Anna M. Giltz of the town of Alexandria. The ceremony was performed at the Giltz home at Godfrey’s Corners by Rev. Mr. Collier, then the pastor of the Dutch Reformed church of Alexandria Bay.

Mr. Plato was a member of the Stone Street Presbyterian church and at one time belonged to the Foresters lodge.

Surviving are his wife: a son, Ivan G. Plato, city; a sister, Mrs. Sidney Sweet, Theresa, and several nephews and nieces.

Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 from the family residence. Rev. C. J. Sargent, pastor of Hope Presbyterian church, will officiate. Burial will be made in Plessis.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1933, was handwritten at the top of this obit.



Redwood, April 25. At the St. Francis Xavior (sic) rectory Monday morning occurred the marriage of Miss Pauline Howard to Theodore Cullen, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Cullin of Alexandria Bay. Rev. W. J. Charbonneau officiated. The attendants were Miss Doris Kavanaugh and Carl Cullin, brother of the bridegroom, both of Alexandria Bay.

Immediately following the ceremony a breakfast was served at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Otto Felder, after which the couple left for a wedding trip to Niagara Falls.

Miss Howard has made her home in Redwood with Mr. and Mrs. James Zoller for the past several years and was a former student in Redwood High school. Mr. Cullin is in the employ of W. T. Dewart of New York. The couple will reside in Alexandria Bay.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1933, was handwritten at the top of this item.



Prominent Theresa Merchant and Chairman of Highway Committee of Supervisors,
Dropped Dead on Couch Saturday.

Theresa, March 27. The funeral services of Col. Fred A. Soper, 55, supervisor of the town of Theresa, who died suddenly of a heart attack at his home in upper Commercial street Saturday afternoon, will be held from the Methodist church in this village on Tuesday at 2 p.m. Prayers will be said from the home at 1:30. Rev. C. E. Hastings, pastor, will conduct the services. Burial will be made in Oakwood cemetery in this village.

Col. Soper’s sudden death came as a shock to the community as he was believed to be in good health. At the Soper home it was learned that he had a slight attack Tuesday morning and again on Friday night, but he did not regard it as anything serious. He left the store which he operates a little past noon Saturday and following his dinner lay down to rest on the couch and fell asleep. After an hour’s sleep he stated he felt good and would get busy on the town’s payroll. He had partly risen to his feet when he fell back. A physician was quickly summoned, but he passed away just after Dr. H. C. Burleigh arrived at the home.

Mr. Soper was born Aug. 5, 1877, his parents being Albert and Emily Corbin Soper. His early life was spent in Watertown and when 12 years of age united with the First Methodist church there. When Bethany church was organized he became a charter member there. He became very active in Sons of Veterans, Bradley Winslow Camp, of that city. When the Sons of Veterans reserve corps was organized, after the Spanish-American war, he was commissioned as a captain. His work as an officer was so outstanding that he was made colonel of the First Regiment. He commanded summer encampments, and resigned his post when he came to Theresa in 1910. He was urged to enter the service again and did so with the understanding that he enter at the bottom of the command. His advancement was rapid again however and he was elected commander of the department of New York and again given the rank of colonel. At the opening of the World war he was on the draft board at Theresa and asked for permission to enter the service.

For over 20 years he guided the G. A. R. services here on Memorial day and the local post made him a member. He became second president of the brotherhood of the Methodist church and held the office until he resigned last fall because of his many duties. He was first assistant superintendent of the Methodist Sunday school and on Lincoln’s Sunday had charge of the services when Rev. A. F. Beebee, G. A. R. commander, 94, spoke.

He was treasurer of the Theresa Masonic lodge. He served the town several years as clerk and had served on the local school board. He was made supervisor last June to fill the unexpired term of the late George D. Walradt. He was made chairman of the highway committee of the board in January.

He married on May 5, 1898, Maude Place of this village, who survives him. There were no children. He was a merchant here 22 years and for 10 years was with Sears and Pruyn of Watertown and two or three years with Johnson and Murray, wholesalers of Watertown.

A Masonic burial with the lodge members attending in a body is planned. The Brotherhood, and probably the Eastern Stars and members of the Optimistic class, of which Mrs. Soper is a member, will also attend in a body. A delegation of county officials plan to attend the services.

The Soper family home in Watertown was located on the corner of West Main and Curtis streets. Albert Soper, Colonel Soper’s father, was a veteran of the Civil war.



Theresa, March 27. -- The members of the town board of Theresa met Saturday evening in a short session, directly after the death of Col. Fred A. Soper, supervisor, to take some action as to any urgent welfare work that may be needed here. The board appointed Justice of the Peace E. M. Wheeler, and Town Clerk Orrin Wilcox to look after any urgent cases that may come up until a supervisor is appointed by the board.

It was recalled how three successive supervisors of Theresa have died in office. E. J. Stratton’s death was followed by the appointment of George D. Walradt, who was subsequently elected. Mr. Walradt died last June of heart failure. Mr. Soper was filling out this term when he died.

Typist’s Note: The preceding couplet of articles was dated with a handwritten “1933.”



He Was Prominent in Business Affairs of Redwood and Vicinity For Many Years---
Funeral Will Be Held Tuesday at 2 P.m. From Redwood Episcopal Church.

Redwood, Oct. 16. -- Wallace William Holmes, 64, president of the Redwood National Bank, died of an embolism at 8 Saturday evening at his home in this village. He was in his usual good health until about an hour prior to his death.

He was born in Redwood on March 8, 1869, the son of Alfred A. Holmes and Sarah Waite Holmes. He attended the village school, Adams Collegiate Institute and the Fort Plain Military Academy. After finishing his schooling he entered the mercantile business as an associate of his father and his brother, Fred T. Holmes, under the firm name of A. A. Holmes & Sons. The firm conducted the flour and feed mill and also one of the leading stores in that section of the county.

After the death of his brother, Fred T., and the death of his father, he and his brother, Gilbert M., continued the business under the name of Holmes Brothers. In 1902 they became interested in the steamboat business on the St. Lawrence river and operated a line of boats between Clayton and Ogdensburg for nearly 30 years. In 1911 they sold their store at Redwood to Kabel Brothers.

In 1910, they constructed an electric light plant and distribution system which they operated for many years until it was purchased by the Northern New York Utilities, Inc.

At the time the Redwood National Bank was organized Mr. Holmes became vice president, and upon the death of Adam Bickelhaupt, Mr. Holmes became president, which position he held up to the time of his death. For many years he was a director and vice president of the National Bank of the Thousand Islands. He and the members of his family have been outstanding leaders in business in northern New York over a period of three-quarters of a century.

On April 27, 1892, he was married to Jennie A. Snell of Theresa. Besides his widow, he is survived by four children, Mrs. Thomas Barns of East Hampton, N. Y.; Gladys Holmes of Redwood; Mrs. Charles Curtis of Watertown and Douglas Snell Holmes of Redwood, and two grandchildren, Douglas and Sally Barns; one sister, Miss Addie Holmes of Redwood.

He was a member of Alexandria Dodge, No. 297, F. & A. M.; Theresa Chapter, No. 149, of which he was high priest for two years; Watertown Commandery No. 11, K. T. Central Consistory of Syracuse, and a life member of the Media Temple, A. A. O. M. S. He was past grand and trustee of Lakeside lodge, No. 328, I. O. O. F.

He was a member of St. Peter’s church of Redwood and one of its vestrymen.

The funeral will be held at the Episcopal church in Redwood at 2 Tuesday afternoon.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1933, was handwritten at the top of Mr. Holmes’ obit.



Had Resided in Florida For Past 18 Years---
Married Miss Winnie Doyle of Ogdensburg in 1897---
She Survives---Mr. Wright Had Had High Blood Pressure Three Years---Death Unexpected.

Carthage, Feb. 21. -- Daniel C. Wright, 64, formerly of Ogdensburg, Rossie and Redwood, died Monday morning at his home in Dade City, Fla., where he had been living for the past 18 years. Word of his death was received Monday afternoon by his sister, Mrs. Frank H. Layng, this village.

Although Mr. Wright had been suffering from high blood pressure for the past three years, his condition had not been considered serious, and word of his death came as a shock to his relatives in northern New York. It is believed that his death resulted from a heart attack.

Mr. Wright was well known throughout northern New York where for many years he was associated with general stores in Ogdensburg, Rossie and Redwood.

He was born on a farm near Ogdensburg on Oct. 8, 1868, the son of the late Daniel and Margaret Hanlon Wright. He attended the Ogdensburg schools and later was for several years associated with the A. R. Herriman general store in that city.

In 1897 he married Miss Winnie Doyle of Ogdensburg, the ceremony being performed in the Ogdensburg cathedral. The couple moved to Rossie a year or so after their marriage and for the next five or six years Mr. Wright was proprietor of a general store there.

From Rossie the family moved to Redwood and for about 13 years Mr. Wright was associated with the George Crawford general store there.

Mrs. Wright for some time had been suffering from bronchial trouble and because of her poor health the family moved from Redwood to Florida. For several years after going south Mr. Wright was engaged in business but more recently had conducted a small fruit farm.

Besides his sister, Mrs. Layng, and his widow, there survives another sister, Mrs. William Souva, Ogdensburg, five sons, Edward C. Wright, Mamaroneck; Cecil, Shawnee, Okla.; Daniel, White Plains; Francis, Jacksonville, Fla.; Harold, who is postmaster at Dade City, Fla.; one daughter, Virginia, who resides at home.

Another daughter, Harriett, who was born while the family resided in Redwood, died in infancy and lies buried in that village.

It is not known whether funeral services will be conducted in Florida and burial made there or whether the remains will be brought north.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1933, was handwritten at the top of Mr. Wright’s obit.



Son of Early Settlers of Section, Familiarly Known as “Sandy” Moore,
Dies of Infirmities of Old Age.

(Special to The Times.)

Hammond, Feb. 20. -- Alexander Moore, 90, familiarly known by residents of this section as “Sandy” Moore, died at the home of his nephew, Robert M. Smith, South Hammond, Sunday at 12:20 p.m. after several weeks’ illness from infirmities of old age.

He was born at the family home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Moore, early settlers of this section, who resided in the only house on the “New road” from the Chippewa Bay road to the Oak Point road. Following the death of his parents, he and his bachelor brother, Robert, and a sister, Christiana, lived on the homestead and operated it. He spent about a year and a half in the west when a young man but returned following this period to the old home.

His brother, Robert, died first and in October, 1928, following the death of his sister, he went to the home of his nephew, Mr. Smith, where he had since resided. He was a member of the Presbyterian church.

Besides Mr. Smith he is survived by a number of other nephews and nieces.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 at the Smith home, Rev. W. H. Campbell of the Presbyterian church officiating. Burial will be in the Pleasant Valley cemetery at Hammond.

Typist’s Note: The handwritten date of 1933 was written at the top of Mr. Moore’s obit.



Miss Marion Parrott, 330 Coffeen street, became the bride of DeForest H. Smith, 651 Burchard street, at a ceremony solemnized this afternoon at 1:30 in Stone Street Presbyterian church. Rev. Paul F. Boller, D. D., officiated.

The couple was attended by Miss Isabel Bingham and Gerald Welsh, both of this city. A wedding luncheon was served at the home of the bride’s grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. William Richards, 330 Coffeen street, to 20 guests at the close of the church ceremony. The Richards home was decorated with gladioli and zinnias for the occasion.

The bride was attired in a blue satin gown with which she wore a blue velvet turban, blue shoes and blue lace mitts. She carried a bride’s bouquet of white roses.

Miss Bingham was gowned in beige with accessories in brown. Her flowers were red roses.

Mr. Smith and his bride left by motor for a wedding trip to Baltimore and Washington and upon their return will reside at 330 Coffeen street for the present.

Mrs. Smith is the daughter of John D. Parrott and the late Mrs. Ethel Richards Parrott. She resides at the home of her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. William Richards.

For the past five years Mrs. Smith has been associated with the Agricultural Insurance company as a clerk in the reinsurance department. She was graduated from the Watertown High school with the class of 1926.

Mr. Smith for the past eight years has been connected with the Jefferson County National bank as a clerk. He is a graduate of the Hammond High school and of the Watertown School of Commerce. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Guy R. Smith of Hammond.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1933, was handwritten at the top of this write-up.



Mrs. Cola L. Fountain, Born Near Erie, Pa.
Authoritative Write on Farm Problems---Funeral Wednesday.

Mrs. Cola L. Fountain, 51, widely known as an authoritative writer on farm problems and on farm and community life, died at 12:45 Sunday afternoon at the family home near Calcium. She was the wife of Charles G. Fountain.

Mrs. Fountain had been in poor health since November, 1928, when she was suddenly stricken with apoplexy at Herkimer while delivering a lecture before the home and farm bureau of that city. She was for a time a patient in the Herkimer Memorial hospital, her left side being completely paralyzed.

She recovered from the attack, but her health had never been the same since. Her condition had been serious since a week ago Sunday morning when she suffered a stroke. Since Monday she had been confined to her bed and for the last three days she had been unconscious.

Mrs. Fountain possessed an unusual talent as a writer and speaker on problems of the farm and farm and rural life and was always active until her health failed her. She contributed substantially to leading farm publications of the country, her material being widely sought.

For two winters she was connected with the New York State College of Home Economics at Cornell university in extension work, speaking at meetings of farm and home bureaus in various counties of the state.

Until recent years she wrote various articles, but always maintained her interest in farm problems and farm life. She had written for “The Farmer’s Wife,” a widely read magazine published in St. Paul, Minn.; the “Pictorial Review,” “The American Agriculturist” and “The Country Gentleman.”

At the time of her last illness she was busily engaged in writing a series of stories for “The Farmer’s Wife” under the title of “The Woman on the Crossroad,” in which she discussed farm life and set forth her observations as a “woman on the crossroad.” The stories are nearly finished and will be published, members of the family said.

Mrs. Fountain formerly conducted the home bureau column of the Watertown Daily Times. Occasionally she also contributed to the “Letters from the People” columns in The Times on questions which interested her.

In the March, 1928, number of the “Pictorial Review” there appeared a poem written by Mrs. Fountain under the title, “The Lamplighter.” The poem was conspicuously displayed with a woodcut showing the old-time lamplighter and the verse was centered in a page on which Emil Ludwig’s serial, “The Son of Man,” was featured. The poem was reprinted in the Watertown Times where her verse frequently appeared.

In 1923 she lectured daily for a week before a class of rural school teachers at Castine, Me., on methods of community surveys. The year previous she won third prize in the national essay contest conducted by “The Farmer’s Wife,” on the question, “If you Had a Daughter of Marriageable Age, Would You Want Her to Marry a Farmer?”

The magazine in its January issue asked that question. Of the 7,000 answers submitted, that of Mrs. Fountain was considered third best In point of excellence.

Mrs. Fountain was born Aug. 19, 1881, near Erie, Pa., where her father, a minister of the Christian denomination, then held a pastorate, and was the daughter of the late Rev. Abram and Martha Morse Letts, who was born near Rochester.

After the death of her father at Naples, the family moved to Medina and in 1900 she was graduated from the Medina High school. Later she attended the Rochester Business Institute, being graduated from that institution.

Her health not being very good at that time, Mrs. Fountain went to Moriah Center, Essex county, to recuperate, and taught in the district school there for a time. While there she was married to Charles G. Fountain of Moriah Center. The ceremony was performed Jan. 4, 1905, at the Moriah Methodist Episcopal church by Rev. Dr. Walker.

Mr. and Mrs. Fountain lived on a farm at Moriah Center for two years and then, in 1907, they came to Jefferson county, settling on the Houghton Herrick farm, near Calcium, where she died. With the exception of three years when the family resided on the William Morrow farm, near Calcium, Mrs. Fountain had since lived at the Herrick farm.

Mrs. Fountain was very active as a church worker as well as a writer and speaker, having for a long time been identified with the Calcium Community church. For many years she was superintendent of the Sunday school of the church. She was also active in the old Jefferson County Sunday School association, serving in an official capacity at one time.

Until last year, Mrs. Fountain was active in the State Federation of Home Bureaus, having served three years on the publicity committee and once as secretary, and in the Calcium Home Bureau. For a long period she was also a member of the Jefferson County Home Bureau and recently was urged to become a member of the executive board of that organization.

Mrs. Fountain was a member of the Pine Grove grange of Calcium and the Jefferson County Pomona grange. She had served as subordinate grange lecturer of the Pine Grove grange for two years.

Surviving her, besides her husband, are a daughter, Mrs. Everette R. Smith of Perch River; three sisters, Mrs. Hettie E. Herrick and Mrs. O. K. Johnson of Rochester and Mrs. A. J. Weaver of Littleport, and four nephews.

Prayer services will be held at the family home at 1:30 Wednesday afternoon and funeral services will be held half an hour later in the Calcium Community church. Rev. Miles Hutchinson of Belleville will officiate. Burial will be made at Calcium.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1933, was handwritten at the beginning of this obit.



Theresa, Oct. 26. -- Francis Shurtleff, 53, died at his home of the Shurtleff farm, four miles from this village on the Theresa-Philadelphia highway, at 9:20 on Wednesday night, Oct. 25.

He had been in poor health for some months and was admitted to the House of the Good Samaritan at Watertown for treatment on Oct. 19. At his request he was brought from the hospital to his home Wednesday afternoon at 4:30. His death occurred a few hours later.

He was born in the town of Philadelphia on Aug. 12, 1880, son of Elisha and Emily Jane Baker Shurtleff. His ancestors were among the pioneers of Philadelphia. The great-grandfather, Abial Shurtleff, took up a large acreage of land at what is now known as Shurtleff Corners. The school and cemetery at that locality bear the name of the family. His grandfather was Milo Shurtleff.

He married Miss Elouisa Haas, who survives, as do two brothers, Earl and Lloyd Shurtleff of Philadelphia.

He was active in community affairs, an officer in the local school district for some years, had served as an officer in the Shurtleff Family Association of Philadelphia.

Funeral services will be held from the home Saturday afternoon at 2, Rev. G. G. Upton of Philadelphia officiating. Burial will be in the Redwood cemetery.

Typist’s Note: 1933 was handwritten at the top of Mr. Shurtleff’s obit.


Death Occurs at Hospital Twelve Hours After the Accident

Kenneth Carmon, 26, Testifies at Inquest Held By District Attorney---
It Will Be Continued---Accident Occurs Near Alexandria Center.

Doris Josephine Eager, 15-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur Eager of Redwood, R. D. 1, died at 3 this morning at the House of the Good Samaritan of a severe fracture of the skull received Wednesday afternoon about 3:45 when she was struck by an automobile at Alexandria Center after she had alighted from a bus.

The girl was admitted to the hospital about 6:45 Wednesday evening and died without regaining consciousness. Dr. H. N. Cooper attended her and called Dr. F. R. Calkins into consultation. X-ray pictures were taken by Dr. Dunlay.

No hope was held for the girl’s recovery. The top of her head was badly injured, causing severe hemorrhages of the brain.

District Attorney Howard B. Donaldson started an inquest into the girl’s death at 11 this morning at his office questioning among other witnesses the driver of the car which struck the girl, Kenneth Carmon, 26, of Church street, Redwood.

Mr. Carmon reported the accident to the chief of police and justice of the peace at Alexandria Bay and this morning came to Watertown to make a report to Sheriff Leroy S. Harrington at the sheriff’s office. After making a statement to the sheriff, Mr. Carmon, although not taken into custody, was taken to the district attorney’s office by Undersheriff Jay J. Campman for questioning.

The girl was a student at the Alexandria Bay Central school and was returning home at the time of the accident in a bus used to convey school children to and from the school. The bus was being driven by Mrs. Mary Rader.

According to the report made to Sheriff Harrington, the Eager girl with other children got off the bus at Alexandria Center to return to their homes. Some of the children walked around the front of the bus, while the Eager girl walked around the rear of it.

When Mr. Carmon noticed the school children leaving the bus, he slowed down, the report said, to give them an opportunity to leave the highway. Then he continued on his way.

The Eager girl, he reported, suddenly appeared from a back of the bus and darted into the path of his car. The left front fender of the automobile struck the girl, throwing her to the pavement. The car did not pass over her. Mr. Carmon claimed the accident was unavoidable.

Another car, proceeding in the same direction as was the bus, stopped in back of the bus when the bus halted to let the children off, Mr. Carmon said.

The girl, lying unconscious on the highway, was picked up and taken by Mr. Carmon to the office of Dr. Harold L. Gokey at Alexandria Bay, who rendered first aid. The girl was then brought to Watertown in an ambulance from Theresa.

The scene of the accident is about midway between Alexandria Bay and Redwood.

The inquest will be continued, the district attorney said, for the purpose of questioning other witnesses. Mr. Carmon is not being held.

Mr. Carmon is unmarried and lives with his father, Edward Carmon, at Redwood. He was driving a coupe owned by his brother at the time of the accident, he testified.

The driver of the bus and some of the children on the bus will be questioned before a decision in the case is rendered, District Attorney Donaldson said. Mr. Carmon was the only witness questioned today, appearing at the district attorney’s office voluntarily.

Doris Josephine Eager was a twin daughter of Wilbur and Katherine Elk Eager of Alexandria Center. She was born at Alexandria Center on Oct. 10, 1917. She was a pupil at Alexandria Bay high school.

Surviving Miss Eager besides her parents are her twin sister, Miss Dorothy Eager, and a brother, Karl Eager, Alexandria Center.

Funeral services will be held from the home at 1:30 Saturday afternoon and at 2 from the St. Paul’s Lutheran church in Redwood. Rev. Paul G. Krutzky, pastor of the church, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Redwood cemetery.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1933, was indicated at the top of this write-up.



(Special to The Times.)

Carthage, Oct. 21. -- Mrs. Margaret A. Dake, 68, widow of Clarence Dake, died late Friday afternoon at her (sic) home of her daughter, Mrs. W. C. Boyd, near Brownville. She had been in failing health for a number of years and had been blind for the past eight years.

She was born in Morristown on Sept. 19, 1865, a daughter of John and Jeanette Moore Smith. Most of married life was spent in South Hammond where her husband was a farmer. Since his death on August 21, 1927, she had made her home at her daughter, Mrs. Boyd near Brownville and at a second daughter, Mrs. Leon Farnell, Deer River.

She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Hammond.

Besides her two daughters, there survive a brother, R. M. Smith of South Hammond, and several nieces and nephews.

Prayers will be said at the home of Mrs. Boyd Monday afternoon at 1 and the remains then will be taken to the South Hammond cemetery for services and burial at 2:30. Rev. Benjamin G. Miller, pastor of the Brownville Methodist church, will officiate.

Typist’s Note: The year, 1933, was written at the top of Margaret’s obit.


Chas Nier, 58, Theresa, Dies

(Special to The Times.)

Theresa, Jan 9.- Charles Nier, 58, died Sunday night at his home on the Wilcox farm near Douglas Crossing.

He was born at Orleans Four Corners on July 13, 1874, a son of George and Rozella Weaver Nier. He was married on Oct. 6, 1901, to Miss Lura Russell. For a number of years he was employed on the Jefferson Baltz stock farm at Lafargeville. Fifteen years ago he removed to the Wilcox farm.

Mr. Nier was taken ill one year ago and later underwent an operation at the A Barton Hepburn hospital at Ogdensburg. He was taken seriously ill again eight weeks ago Sunday.

Surviving are his wife and eight children, Mrs. Raymond Abel of Lafargeville, Carl, Claude, Clifford, George, Howard, Glenn and Marion Nier, all of Lafargeville; one brother, Edward Nier, of Theresa.

Funeral services will be held from the home at Douglas Crossing with Rev. C. E. Hastings, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Interment will be made in the family plot at Oakwood cemetery.

Return to Jefferson County Tidbits

Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page