Copied and arranged by volunteer Shirley Farone


Alexandria & Orleans: Part: 11

Part: 1Part: 2Part: 3Part: 4Part: 5Part: 6Part: 7Part: 8
Part: 9Part: 10Part: 11Part: 12Part: 13Part: 14Part: 15Part: 16


Mrs. Woodcock and Her Husband Both Native of England---
Spent Entire Married Life as Farmers Near Brier Hill.

(Special to The Times)

Brier Hill, July 6. -- Mrs. Betsy A. Beldock Woodcock, 80, widow of William C. Woodcock, local farmer, died at 5 a.m. Monday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. A. C. Mead, in Hammond, where she had been ill for the past four weeks. Death was attributed to complications.

Mrs. Woodcock was a native of England, born June 9, 1857, a daughter of John and Mary Lowery Beldock. She came to this country in her youth, and was married to Mr. Woodcock, also a native of England, on April 21, 1878. Their entire married life was spent on farms near Brier Hill, where Mrs. Woodcock had continued to live following her husbandís death.

Mrs. Woodcock is survived by two sons, William of Brier Hill, and Berton of Gouverneur; six daughters, Mrs. Frank Allen of Mannsville, Mrs. Charles Derby and Mrs. A. C. Mead of Hammond, Mrs. Robert Lovelace and Mrs. Thomas Edmunds of Buffalo and Mrs. Earl Miller of Syracuse; two sisters, Mrs. Joseph McDougal and Mrs. Frank Smith and a brother, Charles Beldock, all of Watertown; also 24 grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren.

The funeral will be held from the Woodcock home in Brier Hill at 11 a.m. (E.S.T.), Wednesday, with Rev. W. H. Shoemacher officiating. Interment will be in Brier Hill cemetery.



Redwood, Sept. 14. -- Clarence Nelson Cook, 69, passed away early Monday morning after a short illness of heart trouble, at the home of his brother, Benton Cook. About 8 oíclock Mr. Cook went to call his brother and found he had passed away.

Mr. Cook was born in the house where he died, on Feb. 28, 1868, son of Nelson Cook and Lydia Anne Marshall Cook. When a young man he attended the University of Buffalo school of pharmacy. Following his graduation he was employed in the Bogart drug store in Watertown. Later he purchased two drug stores at Alexandria Bay which he conducted for 30 years.

He was married in San Diego, Calif., in May, 1917, to Mrs. Lucille Spencer Obert. After his marriage he resided in Alexandria Bay for four years when he retired. Following his retirement Mr. Cook with his family, spent his time in Florida and at his summer home here.

He was a member of the Alexandria F. and A. M., No. 297, Theresa chapter No. 149 and Media temple.

Mr. Cook is survived by his widow, one son, Benton Cook, one step-daughter, Mercedes Obert, and one step-son, Harry Obert of Pulaski; also two brothers, John and Benton Cook of Redwood.

A Masonic funeral will be held Wednesday afternoon from the home of his brother Benton Cook. Burial will be made in the Redwood cemetery.

Mr. Cook was employed by H. E. Ransier of Manlius at the time of his death.



Suffers Fractured Skull and Broken Neck---
Lands on Concrete Floor of Building He Was Pulling Together---
Was Town Assessor For Six Years.

(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, July 27. -- Edwin Hartman, 61, died at 3:15 p.m. Monday a few minutes after he was thrown 15 feet to a concrete floor while working on a barn at Mrs. Addie Laidlawís farm in Hammond. Mr. Hartman was engaged at the time in pulling a barn together with a turnbuckle. His clothing became entangled and he was thrown to the concrete floor where he suffered a fractured skull and a broken neck. Dr. T. A. Lewis of Hammond attended him.

Mr. Hartman was born May 28, 1875, at the Augsbury farm on the Plessis road, the son of Henry Hartman and Mary Eckert. He married Miss Beulah Cole, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cole of Hammond, June 20, 1917. The wedding took place at the brideís home and was performed by Rev. H. B. Krusa, former pastor.

Mr. Hartman had been engaged as a carpenter since 1921. He first came to Redwood 40 years ago and lived with his mother until his marriage in 1917. He was a member of the Kirkland grange, St. Paulís Lutheran church of Redwood and was town assessor for six years.

He is survived by his wife; two brothers, George Hartman of Morristown and Henry Hartman of Redwood; one sister, Mrs. Margaret Flath of Redwood, and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be held Thursday at 1:30 p.m. from the home and at 2 p.m. from St. Paulís church. Rev. R. F. Henderson, pastor, will officiate. Interment will be in Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: The year, 1936, was handwritten at the top of Mr. Hartmanís obit.


Frank Hill, Redwood, Dies
Was A Former Resident of This Village---Funeral and Burial Tuesday

Frank Norman Hill, 65, retired gardner (sic) of Redwood and former resident of this village passed away Sunday morning after a short illness.

Mr. Hill had worked at Keewaydin the summer estate of Wm. T. Dewart for the past several years.

He was born in Missouri, February 16, 1872, son of Baker and Janet Pierce Hill.

He is survived by a sister, who resides in Rochester.

Funeral services were held Tuesday at 2 p.m. from the home. Interment was made in Barnes Settlement cemetery.


Note: A full page of the scrapbook was consumed by a photo of a couple who was married at the First Presbyterian church, under the caption, ďWatertown Couple Married.ď The narrative under the photo follows:

ďMr. and Mrs. Delos M. Cosgrove leaving the chapel of the First Presbyterian church after their marriage on Saturday afternoon. Before her marriage Mrs. Cosgrove was Miss Margaret Norton. Picture of bridal party and story of reception appears on Page 9.Ē Photo was a Times Staff Photo. The write-up of the marriage was found on another page, most likely in an earlier issue of the same newspaper:



Ceremony Will Be Performed This Afternoon at 4:30 in Chapel of First Presbyterian Church Before 100 Guests---
Reception at Golf Club to Follow Wedding.

Miss Margaret Norton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph G. Norton, 228 Mullin street, will become the bride of Delos M. Cosgrove, 143 Winthrop street, Sat. afternoon at 4:30 in the chapel of the First Presbyterian church before 100 invited guests.

The ceremony will be performed before the altar at the (individual photos of Miss Margaret Norton and Delos M. Cosgrove, in that order, were placed within the text of this paragraph)front of the chapel which will be banked with palms, ferns, snapdragons and lilacs. On the altar will be two large silver vases filled with white snapdragons. Rev. Dr. Darwin F. Pickard, minister of the church will perform the ceremony. He will be assisted by Rev. Dr. Harry Westbrook Reed, pastor of All Souls Universalist church, an uncle of Mr. Cosgrove.

Miss Norton will be attended by Miss Florence Ely Taggart as maid of honor and Mrs. Paul J. Severance as matron of honor. The best man will be Dr. Conrad Evans Good, Rochester, a classmate at Williams college of Mr. Cosgrove. Ushers will be John R. Willmott, city, and John Moore, jr., New York city. Mr. Norton, the brideís father, will give her in marriage.

The bride will be attired in an ivory satin gown with a rose point lace bertha which was her grandmotherís a cap with lace of the same, and a veil. She will carry white orchids and lilies of the valley.

Miss Taggart, the maid of honor, will wear a dress of dusty pink organza and Mrs. Severance, matron of honor, will be gowned in blue organza. They will both wear leghorn hats trimmed with colors of the dresses and shoes to match. They will carry arm bouquets of pink snapdragons and blue delphinium.

Mrs. Norton, mother of the bride, will be dressed in a gown of powder blue georgette and lace with hat to match. She will wear a corsage of violets.

Mrs. Jesse D. Lee, city, aunt of Mr. Cosgrove, will wear blue chiffon with matching accessories and a corsage of sweet peas.

L. Lyle Schmid and his string ensemble will play for the wedding. The wedding march from Wagnerís Lohengrin will be played as the bride enters the chapel and after the ceremony the wedding march by Mendelssohn will be given.

Directly following the wedding a reception will be held at the Jefferson County Golf club for the guests. The club will be decorated with ferns, snapdragons and lilacs. Mr. Schmidís ensemble will also play there.

The couple will leave on a wedding trip after the reception and upon their return to this city will reside at 143 Winthrop street.

Those attending the wedding and reception from out of town are: Mr. and Mrs. John C. Borland, Syracuse; Mr. and Mrs. Arthur B. Tyler, Baldwinsville; Mr. and Mrs. Norman Van De Carr, and daughter, Virginia, Rochester; Miss Janette Morton, Mottville; Mrs. J. Howard Stoddard, Syracuse; Miss Sue De C. Brown, Syracuse; Mr. and Mrs. Fritz C. Hyde, jr., New York; Mr. and Mrs. Walter O. Bachmann, Albany; Miss Mary Kates, Rochester; Mr. and Mrs. Richard B. Pipitt, Boston, Mass., and Miss Kathryn F. Wright, South Hadley, Mass.

Miss Norton prepared for college at local schools and then entered Mount Holyoke college, South Hadley, Mass., and was graduated in 1932 with the degree of bachelor of arts. Miss Norton is one of the cityís outstanding golf players and in 1936 won the womenís championship of the Jefferson County Golf club for the third season.

Mr. Cosgrove is the only son of the late Attorney and Mrs. Delos M. Cosgrove. Upon his graduation from Williams college, Williamstown, Mass., with the class of 1932, he entered Yale Law school, New Haven, Conn., and was graduated in 1935. Mr. Cosgroveís father was formerly vice chairman of the state power authority.

While at Williams college, Mr. Cosgrove was a member of St. Anthonyís fraternity. He was affiliated with Corbey Court at Yale Law school. He was prominent in athletics both in high school and college. In high school he played on basketball and baseball teams and was a member of the varsity basketball and baseball teams at Williams college. He is also an experienced yachtsman and golfer.



Widow of John S. Miller Was Born Near Prescott, Ont., and Taught School Before Her Marriage---
Resided in Watertown for Nine Years.

(Special to The Times.)

Hammond, Dec. 27. -- Mrs. Harriet Fraser Miller, about 80, widow of John S. Miller, died Saturday at Imlay City, Mich., where she was spending the winter with her nephew, Milton C. Fraser. Mrs. Miller, in poor health for some time, had been confined to bed about six weeks with sciatica. She had been ill since she went to Imlay City.

Mrs. Miller was born on a farm about a mile below Prescott, Ont., on the St. Lawrence river. Her father was commissioned major in the Canadian army at the end of the Patriotís war. Her grandfather came from Scotland as a lieutenant in a Royal Highlandersí regiment.

She attended the schools at Prescott and taught several years at Cardinal, Ont. She was married to John S. Miller about 50 years ago. The had o children. Mr. Miller died eight years ago. Mrs. Miller leaves no close relatives.

Mr. and Mrs. Miller spent almost their entire married life on the Miller homestead farm near South Hammond. They lived for three years, about 30 years ago, in Watertown and at the time attended the Stone Street Presbyterian church.

The body was sent to Hammond from Imlay City and the funeral services were held at 2 this afternoon at the Hammond Presbyterian church.

Typistís Note: The year, 1938, was handwritten at the top of Mrs. Millerís obit.



Redwood, Dec. 27. -- Funeral services were held this morning for Clayton Pearl Hart, 53, who died Saturday morning at the home of this parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hylan Hart, following an illness of three years.

Mr. Hart underwent a major operation at the Hepburn hospital, Ogdensburg, in November 1936, and was a patient there six months. Last year he was a patient at Baker hospital, Muscatine, Ia., for five months.

He was born March 2, 1885, at Plessis, only son of Hyland and Minnie Spaulsbury Hart.

He was married about 30 years ago to Miss Florence Andrews of Pulaski. The couple later were divorced. Four years later Mr. Hart married Miss Georgia Westcott of Theresa. He spent practically his entire life here. He was manager of the local milk station 17 years under Benjamin Marks. He also conducted a boat livery and rooming house at Butterfield lake.

Mr. Hart was a member of St. Francis Xavier church.

He is survived by his wife; one daughter, Miss Marion Hart of Toledo, O., his parents, and one sister, Miss Jennie G. Hart of Redwood. A daughter by the first marriage, Mrs. Genevieve Brown, of Pulaski, was killed in an automobile accident about a year ago.

Funeral services were held at 9 this morning from St. Francis church, Rev. W. J. Charbonneau officiating. Interment was in the family plot in the Redwood cemetery.

Typistís note: The year, 1938, was handwritten at the top of Mr. Hartís obit.



(Special To The Times)

Redwood, Dec. 30. -- Miss Alice Roney, 77, resident here most of her life, died at 9 last evening at the home of Mrs. Elizabeth Kimball, where she was spending the winter. Miss Roney had been in ill health about a year.

Miss Roney was born in the middle west, where her mother, a Bigelow and daughter of one of the early settlers of Redwood, went to live after her marriage. When Miss Roney was a young child her mother returned here with her children and Miss Roney had since resided here. Her own home, in which she spent summers, was built by her grandfather shortly after he settled at Redwood.

Miss Roney is survived only by nephews, nieces and cousins. Roy Roney of South Mechanic street, Carthage, is a nephew. Miss Edith Newton of West Boylston and Mrs. Winifred Newton Rudolph of Worcester, Mass., are among the cousins.

The funeral will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow from St. Peterís Episcopal church here, of which Miss Roney was a member, with Rev. Carl M. Worden, rector, officiating. Interment will be in the Bigelow family plot of the Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: The year, 1938, was handwritten at the top of Miss Roneyís obit.



(Special To The Times)

Lafargeville, Jan. 18, -- Elmer A. Julia, 58, native of this village, died at 5 Tuesday afternoon at his farm home on the Alexandria Bay-Clayton road about three miles from Alexandria Bay. Death was attributed to heart disease. Mr. Julia had been in ill health for several weeks.

Mr. Julia was born on Feb. 22, 1880, in this village, a son of Theodore and Effie Julia. He married Bertha Clyde at Alexandria Bay on Oct. 6, 1903. She died a few years ago. After their marriage, the couple moved to the farm home where Mr. Julia died. He was a farmer and fur buyer.

He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Effie Julia, town of Alexandria; one brother, Levi Julia of the town of Alexandria; four sisters, Mrs. Elva Eddy of Boonville, Abbie of Oswego, Mrs. Etta Eckert of Lafargeville and Miss Grace Julia of Alexandria Bay, and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday at the home and at 2 p.m. from Omar Methodist Protestant church with Rev. Ellis Richards, pastor of the Lafargeville Methodist Protestant church, officiating, assisted by Rev. William Eddy, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of Boonville. Burial will be in Omar cemetery.

Typistís Note: The year, 1939, was handwritten at the top of Mr. Juliaís obit.



Redwood, Feb. 6. -- Mrs. Minnie Adelaide Micheau Shoulette, 64, wife of Cornelius Shoulette, Redwood farmer, died at 8:50 Saturday morning at her home near Godfreyís Corners, after an illness of over one year attributed to complication of diseases.

Mrs. Shoulette was born in Redwood on Jan. 28, 1875, daughter of Francis and Esther Cross Micheau. On April 24, 1895, she was married to Cornelius Shoulette at Alexandria Bay by Rev. Father Ambrose. The couple moved to Barnes Settlement and lived on the Shoulette homestead for 17 years and moved to Godfreyís Corners 22 years ago where they have since resided.

She was a member of St. Cyrilís Catholic church of Alexandria Bay.

Besides her husband, she is survived by four sons, Floyd, Oswald, Roscoe, and Carl, all of Redwood; one grandson, Robert Shoulette, also of Redwood; a nephew, Kenneth McConnell, of Syracuse, and a niece, Ruth Micheau, of Orleans Corners. A son, Leo, passed away in May, 1938.

A prayer service will be held from the home Tuesday at 9 a.m. and from St. Cyrilís Catholic church at 10 a.m., Rev. Father Dussault, pastor, officiating. Burial will be made in St. Cyrilís cemetery at Alexandria Bay.

Typistís Note: The year, 1939, was handwritten at the top of Mrs. Shouletteís obit.



Hammond, Feb. 8. -- John Fletcher, 63, Rossie, died Tuesday morning at 10:30 at an Ogdensburg hospital where he had been a patient since Jan. 25. Death was caused by pneumonia.

Mr. Fletcher was born in Rossie March 8, 1875, the son of Edward and Isabelle McIlwain Fletcher. When a young man he went to Utah where he spent some time in mining and later he sailed on the Great Lakes. On July 23, 1913, he was married to Miss Grace Herbison of Brockville, Ont., at Ogdensburg by Rev. Mr. Wilds.

After their marriage they purchased the Edward Doyle farm in Rossie on which they had since resided.

Besides his widow, he is survived by two daughters, Miss Mabel Fletcher of Watertown and Miss Mildred Fletcher of New York; two sons, James of Belmont and Claud who resides at home; one sister, Mrs. John Weston of Sackets Harbor, and two nieces, Mrs. Ambrose Moran of Potsdam and Mrs. Dale Carter of Michigan.

Typistís Note: The year, 1939, was handwritten at the beginning of Mr. Fletcherís obit.



Mr. Moore Suffered a Fractured Hip in Fall in His Barn on Tuesday---Funeral to Be Held Friday.

(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, Feb. 9. -- John H. Moore, 82, farmer and resident of this section all of his life, died at 12:38 this morning in the Mercy hospital, Watertown, as the result of a fractured hip received Tuesday morning when he fell in the barn at his farm about five miles from this village on Gore road.

After the accident, Dr. H. L. Gokey of Alexandria Bay was called to attend him. Later in the day he was removed to the hospital by ambulance.

Mr. Moore was born Nov. 1, 1856, on the Moore homestead, near Redwood, a son of John and Mary McCartin Moore. He had always lived in Redwood and vicinity. He married Miss Elsie Bauder of Redwood in Redwood in November, 1882.

He was a member of the Plessis grange and St. Cyrilís Catholic church of Alexandria Bay.

Surviving him, besides his wife, are five children, Frank, Morris, Lawrence and Milo Moore and Mrs. Leslie (Kathleen) Parker, all of Redwood; a brother, Emmett Moore, Redwood, and two sisters, Mrs. Fred (Emma) Griswould (sic), Watertown, and Mrs. Elizabeth Fortune, Gouverneur.

Funeral services will be held Friday morning at 10 in St. Cyrilís Catholic church, Alexandria Bay. Rev. Armand Dussault, pastor, will officiate. Burial will be made in St. Cyrilís cemetery at Alexandria Bay.

Typistís Note: The year, 1939, was handwritten at the beginning of Mr. Mooreís obit.



Private Funeral Service to Be Held From Home in Clayton on Wednesday Afternoon

Clayton, Feb. 13. -- Mrs. Mannie Leona Olney Leiterman, 70, wife of Leonard Leiterman, State street, this village, died Saturday at midnight after an illness of about a month. She had been confined to bed for the past three weeks.

Mrs. Leiterman was born in Redwood on Jan. 9, 1869, the only daughter of the late Darwin and Caroline Helmer Olney. She attended the Redwood schools and later the Ives Seminary, Antwerp, and the Crane Institute of Music in Potsdam.

On Jan. 26, 1899 she was married to Leonard Leiterman in Redwood by the Rev. J. W. Higby, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of that village. The couple took up their residence in Poughkeepsie, where Mr. Leiterman was engaged as a school teacher. Thirty years ago they moved to Clayton where Mr. Leiterman since has been in business.

Mrs. Leiterman was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Clayton, the Clayton Travelers club, the Chautauqua Literary society of Jefferson county and active in foreign and home missionary work.

Besides her husband, she is survived by two daughters, Miss Lucile Leiterman of Clayton and Mrs. N. Joseph Houghton of Framingham, Mass.

Private funeral services will be held from the home Wednesday at 2 p.m. with Rev. Royal Fishbeck, pastor of the Clayton Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Burial will be made in the Plessis cemetery.



Becomes The Bride of Attorney Donald A. Wiltse of Watertown in Ceremony Performed In St. Cyrilís Church Rectory.

Miss Ruth G. Radley, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George F. Radley became the bride of Donald A. Wiltse, Watertown attorney in a ceremony performed Tuesday morning at 7:45 at the rectory of St. Cyrilís church. Rev. Armand Dussault officiated.

The bride who was attired in a burgundy suit with matching accessories and wore a corsage of white roses was attended by Mrs. Garreth Service. Mrs. Service wore a teal blue dress with burgundy accessories and a corsage of yellow roses.

Milton Wiltse acted as his brotherís groomsman.

Immediately after the ceremony the couple left for a motor trip to New York city and Ann Arbor, Mich. They will return the first of November and will make their home temporarily with the brideís parents, Mr. and Mrs. George F. Radley of Washington street.

Mrs. Wiltse is a graduate of the Alexandria Bay High school and St. Lawrence university, class of 1931. Since her graduation she has been secretary to her father in the Alexandria Bay Lumber company.

Attorney Wiltse, who is the second son of Attorney and Mrs. Clinton R. Wiltse of this village was graduated from the Alexandria Bay High school in 1927 and from the University of Michigan in 1931. He received the degree of LL. B. from that university in 1933. He was associated with his father at Alexandria Bay in the law firm of Wiltse & DeYoung until admitted to practice on October 3, 1933. He then went to Watertown and was associated for a time with Attorney Clarence L. Crabb. For the past two years he has been with Attorney William K. Mott. He is attorney for the receiver of the First National bank of the Thousand Islands in Alexandria Bay, and a member of the Jefferson County Bar Association.

Typistís Note: The year, 1938, was handwritten at the top of the Radley-Wiltse write-up.



Mother of Postmaster Louis S. Martin of Redwood and Widow of Thomas J. Martin Received Fractured Hip Early This Month.

(Special to The Times)

Redwood, Nov. 19. -- Mrs. Julia Senecal Martin, 82, mother of Postmaster Louis S. Martin and widow of Thomas J. Martin, died at 7 p.m. yesterday at the Mercy hospital in Watertown, where she had been a patient since Nov. 4. Mrs. Martin suffered in a fall in her home the day she entered the hospital.

Mrs. Martinís husband, freight and express drayman here 45 years, was killed Oct. 19 when he was hit by a truck driven by Joseph Misercola of Watertown as he was walking in Main street.

Mrs. Martin was born at Redwood on Aug. 14, 1856, daughter of ________ (torn of) and Esther Senecal. She spent her entire life here. She was married to Mr. Martin ________(torn off) 16, 1881.

Mrs. Martin was an active member of St. Francis Xavier church here.

Surviving are two sons, Louis of Redwood, and George T. of Ogdensburg, and a brother, Joseph Senecal of Ithaca.

The funeral will be held at 9 a.m. Monday from St. Francis Xavierís church. Rev. Walter J. Charbonneau will officiate. Interment will be in the Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: The year, 1938, was handwritten at the beginning of Mrs. Martinís obit.



Widow of Peter Haas, Native of Redwood, Had Resided in Town of Alexandria and Town of Leray---Had Been Ill Several Years.

Philadelphia, Nov. 4. --- Mrs. Elizabeth Haas, 79, widow of Peter Haas, died last night at 6 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Francis Shurtleff, with whom she had resided for the past four years.

Mrs. Haas had been in failing health for several years and had been confined to her bed since June 8. Death was caused by colitis, an intestinal inflammation.

She was born Aug. 14, 1859, at Redwood, a daughter of the late Henry and Elizabeth Flath Betz. She was one of a family of five children. Her parents came from Germany.

On Jan. 23, 1879, she was married to Peter Haas, town of Alexandria, at Redwood, by Rev. Charles E. Dorr, then pastor of St. Paulís Lutheran church of Redwood.

Mr. and Mrs. Haas resided in the town of Alexandria until 1889 when they moved to the Loren Churtleff farm near Philadelphia, where they resided for 30 years. For ten years they lived in the town of Leray, moving to Philadelphia nine years ago. Mr. Haas died here Nov. 7, 1936.

She was a life-long member of St. Paulís Lutheran church of Redwood and a charter member of the circle of the Congregational church of this village.

Surviving her, besides her daughter, Mrs. Francis (Louisa) Shurtleff, are a son, Harry Haas, Philadelphia; two sisters, Mrs. Catharine Sage, Rochester, and Mrs. Lena Leonard, Alexandria Bay, now a patient in the Jefferson county sanatorium, Watertown, and the following nieces and nephews: Mrs. Catherine Betz Bargainere, Miss Margaret Betz and R. W. Sage, Rochester; Mrs. May Sage Teachout, Syracuse, Mrs. Eloise Betz Proctor, Weedsport, Mrs. May Betz Hall, Orono, Me., and Kenneth Leonard, Alexandria Bay.

Funeral services will be held at the Shurtleff home Monday afternoon at 2. Rev. Richard F. Henderson, pastor of St. Paulís Lutheran church of Redwood, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: The date, 3 Nov. 1938, was handwritten at the top of Mrs. Haasís obit.



(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, Dec. 5. -- Edgar Northrup, 73, retired town of Theresa farmer, died last night at 8:15 at his home here after an illness of one week. An embolism caused his death.

Mr. Northrup was born in the town of Alexandria Oct. 17, 1865, son of Daniel and Elizabeth June Northrup. He married Miss Lillian Smith of the town of Theresa Nov. 1, 1888, and until his retirement ten years ago he lived on farms in the town of Theresa.

He is survived by his wife and several nephews and nieces.

The funeral will be held Wednesday at 2 p.m. from the home, with Rev. Richard Henderson, pastor of St. Paulís Lutheran church, officiating. Interment will be in the Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: The year, 1938, appeared in handwritten form at the beginning of Mr. Northrupís obit.



Theresa, Dec. 19. -- George Rogers, 81, farmer and lifelong resident of North Theresa, died Sunday morning at 7:15 in the Mercy hospital at Watertown, where he had been a patient since Oct. 25. He had been in ill health for about two years. Death was caused by infirmities of old age.

He was born on the Rogers homestead at North Theresa, June 5, 1857, a son of Warren and Adeline Higgins Rogers. He was engaged in farming all of his life and always had lived on the Rogers homestead.

Surviving are his wife, Bertha Rogers; three daughters, Mrs. Ethel Slater of Alexandria Bay; Mrs. Irene Hunter and Mrs. Frances Niers of Hammond; three sons, Alton, Earl and Edwin Rogers of Redwood; two sister, Mrs. Wallace Bates of Plessis and Mrs. Lottie Simpson of Alexandria Bay.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2 from the Giltz Funeral home at Theresa. Rev. U. B. Grant, pastor of the Theresa Methodist Episcopal church, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: The year, 1938, was handwritten on Mr. Rogersí obit.



He Had Been Employed as Machinist at Bagley & Sewall Company For 14 Years Up to Six Weeks Ago---
He Since Had been Out of Work.

Ralph Allen Parker, 53, Redwood, a machinist at the Bagley & Sewell company for the past 14 years until six weeks ago, ended his life by hanging in the garage back of his Redwood home early Thursday night.

Parker, believed to have been despondent because he was out of work, tied a sash cord around a joist of the garage, which he had just finished building this week, and jumped off a nail keg.

Dr. E. E. Eddy, Redwood, named coronerís physician, gave a verdict of ďsuicide with death from strangulation.Ē

Parker, who was born in Theresa, Aug. 17, 1885, was in good health and members of his family said he appeared cheerful at dinner late Friday afternoon. His wife, an invalid, and son, George, 20, said they had no inkling that Parker would end his life.

Mr. and Mrs. Parker and George had dinner at 5:30 Friday afternoon. About an hour later Parker left the house, his family supposing that he went out to care for his hens and one cow.

When he did not return to the house, the wife and son believed he might have gone to the postoffice. When he had not returned at 8:45, his family became alarmed. The son went outside and looked in the new two-stall garage. There he saw the father hanging, dead.

The son notified Dr. Eddy who called Sheriff Brayton E. Peck and District Attorney Carl J. Hynes. The district attorney appointed Dr. Eddy as coronerís physician. Sheriff Peck and Deputy Sheriff McDermott investigated the case.

Parker had made his home in the village of Redwood for the past 20 years. Dr. Eddy, upon examining the victim, said he probably died about 8:30----15 minutes before his body was discovered.

Parker is survived by his wife and two sons, George, 20, and Harley, 27, an orderly at a hospital in Amsterdam.

Typistís Note: The date, Dec. 15, 1938, was handwritten at the top of Mr. Parkerís obit.



Resident of Redwood 25 Years, Mr. Stevens Was Native of Parish and Former Resident of Syracuse---
Prayer Service at Home Friday---
Rites in Syracuse.

(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, Dec. 22. -- Frank Stevens, 72, meat market proprietor here the past 25 years, died at 10 this morning at his home here. Death was caused by a heart ailment from which Mr. Stevens had suffered about a year. He became seriously ill last Saturday morning and yesterday his condition became critical.

Mr. Stevens was born at Parish Oct. 23, 1866, son of Harry and Mary Stevens. Most of his life, before he came here in 1913, was spent in Syracuse.

His first wife having died a number of years before he came here to live, Mr. Stevens married Mrs. Olga Bartlett of Redwood Aug. 10, 1916. The ceremony was performed by Rev. H. B. Krusa, then pastor of St. Paulís Lutheran church here.

Mr. Stevens was a member of Alexandria lodge, No. 249, F. and A. M., and Lakeside lodge No. 328, I. O. O. F., of Redwood. He also was a member of St. Paulís church.

Surviving Mr. Stevens besides his wife are three daughters and two sons by his first marriage and two step-sons, and one stepdaughter, all of Syracuse.

A prayer service will be conducted at the home here tomorrow morning at 9 by Rev. Richard F. Henderson, pastor of St. Paulís Lutheran church. Friends may call at the home this evening.

The body will be removed tomorrow to the home of a step-daughter, Mrs. Charles Durling, 148 Hartford road, Syracuse, where a service will be held at 1:30 p.m. Saturday. Funeral rights will be conducted at St. Paulís Lutheran church of Syracuse at 2:30 p.m. Saturday by Rev. Mr. Henderson of Redwood. Burial will be in Myrtle Hill cemetery, Syracuse

Typistís Note: The year, 1938, was handwritten at the beginning of Mr. Stevensí obit.



(Special To The Times)

Pamelia, March 10. Miss Harriet Cole, 81 died at the home of her niece, Mrs. Elmer Stevens, here Wednesday night at about 8:30. Infirmities from old age caused her death.

Miss Cole was bon in the town of Alexandria, April 26, 1856. She was the daughter of the late Allen and Caroline Hutley Cole. She is he last of seven children in the family.

For several years, Miss Cole lived in Redwood. She was an attendant of the Methodist Episcopal church here.

Funeral services will be held Saturday at 1:30 from the home of Mrs. Stevens. Rev. Allen Moore, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church will officiate. Burial be made in the family plot at Redwood.



Mr. Baltz Had Been Engaged in Business in This City For Nearly a Half Century---Was 74 Years of Age

George H. Baltz, 74, one of the cityís oldest sealers in the coal and farm machinery, died as 12:35 Sat. morning at his residence, 333 Coffeen street, after an illness of only two weeks.. Death was caused chiefly by heart disease.

Mr. Baltz, who had been engaged in business here for nearly 50 years, had been in poor health since the past winter, but had been active until about two ago. He developed a complication of ailments and had been suffering from a general physical and nervous breakdown.

He was at his store at 437 Court street for the last time on April 25.

Mr. Baltz was born April 3, 1864, on a farm in the town of Pamelia, the second of eight children of the late Andrew P. and Elizabeth Haas Baltz, and was descended from early residents of Jefferson county.

{a photo of Mr. George H. Baltz appeared at this point in the text -- the caption including the following (From an old photo)}

Andrew P. Baltz was born in the town or Orleans, near LaFargeville, in 1837, a son of Philip and Eliza Dorr Baltz. Philip Baltz emigrated from Germany about 1829 Orleans. In 1858 Andrew Baltz began the manufacture of limburger cheese on a small scale, one of the first in this part of the state to engage in that business. Later, he came to Water town, where he had a grocery store in Court street. Mrs. Andrew Baltz was a native of the town of Clayton, daughter of George and Regina Haas.

George Baltz first came to Watertown in 1872, moving here with his parents when he was eight years old. In 1879 he returned with the family in the farm in Pamelia, but in 1887 he again came to this city and since then he had been a resident of this city.

He attended school at Pamelia and Watertown. After leaving grade school he took a business course. During his early days he worked on his fatherís farm.

After settling in Watertown in 1887, Mr. Baltz, who then lived on West Main street, became a milk dealer, but about 1890 he entered into the coal and wood business for himself and established his place of business at 215 Coffeen street, now Bernard E. Weaverís farm machinery store.

Shortly after starting his business, he became a dealer in farm implements also and dealer of auto trucks. At one time he had a large business. A few years ago he moved his business from 215 Coffeen street to 226 Coffeen street and about two years ago the business was moved to 427 Court street.

At one time Mr. Baltz also owned considerable real estate in the city.

Mr. Baltz was married three times. He first married Miss Emma Liddy of St. Lawrence, the ceremony being performed at the Liddy home Oct. 30, 1888. She died about 1906 at the Baltz home on TenEyck street, at the corner of Holcomb street.

About 1909 he married Miss Mabel Liddy of this city, formerly of St. Lawrence, his wifeís niece. The ceremony was performed in this city. She died here about 1910.

In January, 1924, Mr. Baltz married Mrs. Myrtle L. Guiles Francis of this city, native of Harrisville. The ceremony was performed at the parsonage of the Asbury Methodist Episcopal church by Rev. George F. Shepherd, D. D., then pastor of the church.

Mr. Baltz and his third wife separated six years ago and were divorced in California in 1937. She now resides in Los Angeles. Her first husband, Fred Francis, was killed in an accident at Harrisville about 1913.

Surviving Mr. Baltz are two sisters, Mrs. Frank (Sarah J.) Schryver, Omar, and Mrs. Howard E. (L. Maude) Reed, Fisherís Landing; a brother, William A. Baltz, 219 Gale street; four nephews and seven nieces.

A brother, Fred W. Baltz of Toledo, O., died Mary 11, 1930 at Omar. Another brother, Edward G. Baltz, Philadelphia, Pa., died in January, 1933, in Brooklyn. Another brother and sister died in infancy.

Funeral services will be held Monday afternoon at 2 at the parlors of the Guilfoyle Undertaking company. Burial will be made in Brookside cemetery.

Typistís Note: The date, May 9, 1938, was handwritten at the beginning of Mr. Baltzís obit.



Burial Is Made in the Family Plot in Barnes Settlement---He Was Descendant of Pioneer Family.

Alexandria Bay, May 10. --- Funeral services for Edward D. Herrick, 77, prominent resident of this village, who died at his home on Walton street here Friday evening, were held this afternoon at 1:30 from the home and at 2 in the Methodist Episcopal church of this village.

Rev. Roger F. Williams, pastor of the church, and Rev. William D. Aubrey, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church at Lafargeville and former pastor of the local church, officiated. Rev. Mr. Williams delivered the sermon.

Burial was made in the family plot in Barnes Settlement. Members of the Odd Fellows lodge attended the service at the church and gave a service at the grave.

Among the persons attending the funeral were Dr. William S. McFarlane, Ernest W. Vary and Dr. William G. Houghton, a nephew, all of Watertown.

Fellow members of the board of trustees of the local church acted as honorary bearers at the funeral. They were: D. Marshall Crawford, George Cook, Charles P. Putman, Charles Haas and Charles Garlock, all of this village.

The active bearers were: Albert L. King, Redwood; George A. Hartman, Redwood, Stewart T. Blount, Alexandria Bay, Gerald D. Bigley, Alexandria Bay, all sons-in-law, and Dr. William G. Houghton, Watertown, and Ray Babcock, Redwood, nephews.

Mr. Herrick had long been prominent in the religious and civic life of the community. He was a member of the official board and a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal church, member of the board of education of this village and Redwood and for several years was an assessor of the town of Alexandria.

He was also a member of the Jefferson County Grand Jurorsí association, the Kirkland grange, the local Odd Fellows lodge, the local Encampment and a director of the Jefferson-Lewis Patronsí Fire Relief association.

Mr. Herrick was born in the town of Theresa, Dec. 30, 1861, the eldest of three children of the lat Delos and Sophronia Curtis Herrick. His sister, Mrs. Mina A. Herrick Houghton, who was the widow of James H. Houghton, died at Theresa Nov. 25, 1935. His brother, Dr. Cheeseman A. Herrick, former president of Girard college in Philadelphia, Pa., resides in Philadelphia, Pa. He attended the funeral today.

The late Delos Herrick served in the Civil war and was well known in the northern section of Jefferson county.

Mr. Herrickís ancestors were pioneer settlers of the Jefferson county. The first of the Herrick family to come to this section was Mr. Herrickís great-grandfather, Edward Herrick, who came from Essex county, Vt., and settled in the town of Rodman in 1805. He cleared the land n that section, then a wilderness. Edward Herrick, son of the pioneer settler, was born in Rodman, but later moved to Brownville. There his son, Delos Herrick, father of the Edward Herrick who just died, was born in 1838.

Delos Herrick later moved with the Herrick family to a small farm in the town of Theresa, near the Indian river and about six miles from Theresa. It was there that Edward D. Herrick was born.

(at this point in the text, a photo of Edward D. Herrick, was included)

Members of the Curtis family were among the early settlers of the town of Theresa. Sophronia Curtis, the mother of Edward D. Herrick, was born in that town and was a daughter of Cheeseman A. and Mary Curtis. The Curtis family originally came to this country from Schoharie county.

For 43 years Mr. Herrick was director of the Jefferson-Lewis Patronsí Fire Relief Association. He served on the Board of Education at Alexandria Bay and at Redwood. Mr. Herrick was assessor for the town of Alexandria Bay for a number of years.

Surviving are his widow; four daughters, Mrs. George Hartman and Mrs. Albert King of Redwood, Mrs. Stewart Blount and Mrs. Gerald Bigley of Alexandria Bay, and a brother, Dr. Cheesman Herrick of Philadelphia, former president of Girard college. Several nieces and nephews and seven grandchildren also survive.

Typistís Note: The year, 1938, was handwritten at the top of Mr. Herrickís obit.



She Had Been Living in This City For the Past Year---Given Last Rites of Church Before Her Death.

Mrs. Florence Rexford Williams, 53, widow of John Williams and former resident of Ogdensburg, died suddenly at about 7:20 this morning at her home, 7:20 this morning at her home, 435 West Main street, where she lived with her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Schwartfigure.

Mrs. Williams came here from Ogdensburg to reside about a year ago and had lived at the West Main street address for four months. Although she had been in poor health for about a year, she appeared to be in her usual health when she retired Sunday evening at about 9:30.

She slept in a rear bedroom on the first floor off the kitchen, while the Schwartfigures slept in a front bedroom on the same floor.

At about 7:15 this morning after she was stricken ill she summoned her daughter and asked that a priest and a physician be called at once. While the son-in-law attempted to locate a physician, Claude E. Barnes, a neighbor, called police headquarters. Patrolman Maurice M. OíConnor hurried to the scene.

The police officer summoned Dr. G. J. GianFrancesche and Rev. J. A. Sullivan, pastor of Sacred Heart church. The doctor, who arrived about five minutes later, pronounced the woman dead and said death was caused by a heart attack. Apparently, she died shortly after she called her daughter.

Mrs. Williams had been up earlier in the morning and placed a pan of water on the stove to be heated. It is believed that it was then that she was stricken ill and returned to her bed.

District Attorney Carl J. Hynes, who was notified, appointed Dr. GianFrancesche coronerís physician in the case. The body was removed to the parlors of the Guilfoyle Undertaking company. Police notified relatives at Ogdensburg.

Mrs. Williams was born at Rossie, June 10, 1884, a daughter of Jerry and Julia Hunter Rexford.

Surviving her are seven children, Mrs. William (Agatha) Brown, Daytona Beach, Fla.; Mrs. Ernest (Carola) Montroy, 512 Roselle street, Ogdensburg; Mrs. Samuel (Ruth) Perry, Prescott, Ont.; Mrs. Leo (Mildred) LaLonde, Park street, Ogdensburg; Alton and Sylvester Williams, Ogdensburg, and Mrs. Ernest (Jacqueline) Schwartfigure, city.

Two sisters and five brothers also survive. They are: Mrs. Mable Lawton, Alexandria Bay; Mrs. Alice Worden, Brier Hill; Henry and Ervin Rexford, Redwood; John Rexford, Hammond; Claude Rexford, Niagara Falls, and Allister Rexford, Buffalo.

Typistís Note: The month, May, was handwritten above the obit, but no year was evident.


TYPISTíS NOTE: The following represents only part of an obit for Mrs. Elizabeth Gray Zimmerman Parker, b. Nov. 26, 1863, the daughter of Walter and Laura Allen Zimmerman. I cannot locate among these scrapbook pages the first portion of Elizabethís obit. In that Mrs. Parkerís obit was exceptionally well-written and possessed passages of genealogical import about the Zimmerman family who settled in the town of Brownville, I present the in-part obit here:

ďMrs. Parker had long been a prominent figure in grange circles. She joined the Watertown grange No. 7, in the fall of 1889 and later held the offices of Flora and Ceres. She was also a member of the Jefferson County Pomona grange and the New York State grange.

In 1894 she was elected secretary of the Pomona grange, succeeding her husband, who held the office for one year, and she had continuously held the office since then. Her record for continuous service as a grange officer was unsurpassed in the country. Last September she was re-elected as secretary of the Pomona grange, but had not actively served in the office.

During the year her husband was secretary of the Pomona grange, Mrs. Parker performed most of the duties of that office for him.

Mrs. Elizabeth Gray Zimmerman Parker was born Nov. 26, 1863, on the Zimmerman homestead in the town of Brownville, two miles north of the village of Brownville. She was the eldest of six children of the late Water and Laura Allen Zimmerman. Her father served as Republican assemblyman from the first assembly district of Jefferson county in 1896, 1897 and 1898.

Her ancestors, both paternal and maternal, were pioneer settlers of Jefferson county.

Walter Zimmerman was born at St. Johnsville, Montgomery county, in 1834, but moved to the town of Brownville with his parents in 1838, when his father bought a farm in that town. Walter Zimmerman lived on that farm until two years before his death.

Walter Zimmerman taught school for six years, three of them in the village of Brownville. He served nine years as member of the Jefferson county board of supervisors, three of them as chairman of the board, and was first elected to the assembly in 1895. He died in the village of Brownville Dec. 28, 1910.

His wife was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Allen, early settlers of the town of Brownville, where she was born.

Mrs. Parker was educated in the Brownville schools and for a few terms she taught school in Brownville and vicinity.

She was married to Edward E. Parker, Jan. &, 1885, in a ceremony performed at the Zimmerman homestead. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Parker established their residence on the old Parker homestead on the Coffeen street road between Watertown and Brownville. Mr. Parkerís grandfather, Captain James Parker, settled on that farm in 1801.

Mr. Parker, who was one of the most prominent dairymen of Jefferson county, died at the homestead April 1, 1926, at the age of 66 years.

Mrs. Parker was a member and past matron of Brownville Chapter, No. 257, Order of Eastern Star. She was the second matron of the chapter, serving in 1905, 1906 and 1907. Her husband was patron of the chapter while she was matron.

Since the death of her husband, Mrs. Parker had resided in Watertown. She resided with a son, Roy E. Parker, until his death and since his death, she had resided with her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Roy Parker, the former Miss Margaret C. Kinne.

Three sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Parker. Roy E. Parker, a World war veteran, died in September, 1930, in Mercy hospital at the age of 36 years. At the time of his death he was a bookkeeper at the Brownville Board company at Brownville. During the war he served in France.

The other two sons are Earl W. Parker of Brownville and Neil J. Parker of Wilton.

Also surviving Mrs. Parker, besides the two sons, are three grandsons; two granddaughters and two sisters, Miss Laura Zimmerman and Mrs. William J. (Jennie) Hayes, Brownville.

Three brothers of Mrs. Parker are dead. Walter Zimmerman, jr., died in September, 1928, at Brownville. Charles A. Zimmerman died Dec. 21, 1934, at Dexter. Herbert Zimmerman died Jan. 29, 1935, at Brownville.



Funeral For Mrs. Marion Zoller to Be Held From Home Sunday at 2 P. M.--- Death Caused By Pneumonia

(Special to The Times)

Alexandria Bay, March 4. -- Mrs. Marion Zoller, 81, widow of Jacob Zoller, died at 1:30 Thursday afternoon at her home on Church street following a weekís illness with pneumonia.

Mrs. Zoller was born at Jewetts Corners, town of Alexandria, on June 17, the daughter of Moses and Mary Ann Wakefield Jewett. Her father, Moses Jewett, was a member of the assembly and a prominent political figure of the township when Mrs. Zoller was a young woman.

On Oct. 16, 1878, Mrs. Zoller was married to Jacob Zoller of this village and moved here. Her husband died two years ago and since that time she had lived alone. There are no direct survivors.

Funeral services will be held from the home at 2 Sunday afternoon with the Rev. Earl D. Compton, pastor of the Reformed church here, officiating. Burial will be made in Barnes Settlement.

Typistís Note: The year, 1938, was handwritten at the top of Mrs. Zollerís obit.



Miss Sargent (sic) Spent Her Entire Life in the Home Near Alexandria Bay Where She Was Born---Her Mother Died Jan. 6---Three Brothers Survive.

Alexandria Bay, March 4. --- Miss Luella May Sargent, 38, of the River road between Alexandria Bay and Clayton, about two miles form this village, died at 7:10 last night in the House of the Good Samaritan, Watertown, where she had been a patient since Sunday. Miss Sargent, who had been in poor health, underwent an operation Tuesday.

Miss Sargent was born Aug. 22, 1899, in the house in which she lived at the time of her death and was a daughter of the late James W. and Agnes Joles Sargent. She spent all her life in the house in which she was born.

Her mother died Jan. 6, less than two months ago, at the family home. Her father died Nov. 4, 1934, at the same place.

Miss Sargent attended the Collins Landing school. She was a member of the Thousand Island grange.

Surviving her are three brothers, Clark W. and Leland G. Sargent, Alexandria Bay, and Clifford J. Sargent, Syracuse; several nieces, nephews, aunts and uncles and her maternal grandmother, Mrs. Laura Baltz Joles, town of Orleans.

Prayer services will be held at her home Sunday afternoon at 1:30 followed by services a half hour later in the Omar Methodist Episcopal church. Rev. Bernard DeGraw, Syracuse, former pastor of the Lafargeville Methodist Protestant church, and Rev. Ellis Richards, now pastor of the church, will officiate. Burial will be made in Omar cemetery.



Funeral of Widow of Alexander J. McHugh to Be Held From Home in Redwood and St. Francis Xavier Church Thursday.

(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, March 8. -- Mrs. Amelia Emily McHugh, 83, of this village, died at about 9 Monday evening at the home of a daughter, Mrs. Clarence Casselman of the Clayton-Alexandria Bay road. She was the widow of Alexander J. McHugh who died at his home in this village on March 22, 1937. At the time of his death Mr. McHugh had been retired from the New York Central railroad. Mrs. McHugh had been ill for only a short time. Infirmities of old age caused her death.

Mrs. McHugh was born on April 2, 1854, at Redwood, a daughter of Stephen and Esther Pheneuf Senecal. On March 27, 1883, she was married here to Mr. McHugh. Her husband had been married previously, his first wife having died.

For many years until his retirement in 1924, Mr. McHugh had been employed by the New York Central railroad in the maintenance of way department. He was a twin and at the time of his death at the age of 82, he and his brother, William McHugh, of Rochester, were among the oldest twins in the state.

Mrs. McHugh was a member of St. Francis Xavier church, Redwood, and was also active in its Altar and Rosary society.

She is survived by five daughters, Mrs. William Casselman and Mrs. Clarence Casselman, Clayton; Mrs. Herbert Phillips, Hammond; Mrs. Lee Whitney, Henderson; Mrs. Frank Altz, Croton-on-Hudson; one step-daughter, Mrs. George West, Syracuse; two sons, Joseph McHugh, Watertown, and John McHugh, Massena; one sister. Mrs. Thomas Martin, Redwood, and two brothers, George Senecal, Watertown, and Joseph Senecal, Ithaca. Thirty-seven grandchildren and three great-grandchildren also survive.

The body will be taken from the home of her daughter this afternoon to her home in Redwood where funeral services will be held at 9 Thursday morning and at 9:30 in St. Francis Xavier church, Redwood, with Rev. Walter J. Charbineau officiating. Burial will be made in the Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: The year, 1938, was handwritten at the beginning of Mrs. McHughís obit.


Patrick J. Kelley, 78, Theresa Merchant, Dies

Veteran Harness Maker and Leather Goods Dealer Dies of Heart Ailment.

Theresa, March 30. --- Patrick J. Kelley, 78, dean of Theresa business men and well known throughout the north, died at his home in Commercial street at 4 p.m. Monday after an illness of five weeks. Death came from a weakened heart and was not unexpected.

He was born on Jan. 14 at Presctott, Ont., the son of John and Katherine Kelley. There he learned the trade of harness maker. In the winter of 1878-79 a salesman was in the Prescott shop and told of an opening in Theresa and Mr. Kelley decided to investigate. He opened his place of business but a few feet from where he later built a block and continued his business with success. When the horse and buggy days began to retreat, Mr. Kelley opened a wholesale business in leather goods and also wholesaled harnesses. A son, John, went on the road and their trade extended from Oswego to Plattsburgh.

Fifty years ago last June he married Miss Nellie Sullivan, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Sullivan of Rossie. Their marriage was the first to be celebrated in the new St. Patrickís church in that village. Mr. and Mrs. Sullivanís marriage was the first celebrated in the first Catholic church in Rossie, of which St. Patrickís was the successor.

Mr. Kelly served on the school board, was long a collector on the village board and a supporter of Chautauqua. He held many important positions in St. Theresaís Catholic church here. He was in his place of business about four or five weeks ago.

He is survived by his wife; one daughter, Mrs. Harry Managh of Syracuse; a son, John, this village, and one brother, James, of Prescott.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday at 9 from St. Theresaís Catholic church with burial in Oakwood cemetery. Rev. W. J. Charboneau, pastor at Theresa, will officiate.

Typistís Note: A photograph of Mr. Kelley was included with his obit (above).



Redwood, Feb. 20. -- Word has been received here by friends of the death of Rev. George T. Hartwig on Feb. 16 at Jacksonville, Fla. Rev. Mr. Hartwig was pastor here about 50 years ago.

Rev. Mr. Hartwig was ordained on a call to Redwood and served as pastor of St. Johnís church at Lafargeville and St. Paulís Lutheran church at Redwood from 1880 to 1888. He first came as a student from Mt. Airy, Pa., during the Christmas season of 1879.

He was born in Germany and was the first American-educated pastor to serve St. Paulís church.

Rev. Mr. Hartwig resigned June 1, 8888, and was succeeded by Rev. Francis Hoffmann.

Typistís Note: The year, 1939, was handwritten at the top of the Hartwig obit.



Miss Emma Pearl Brouse, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter J. Brouce of Parish, became the bride of Elmereen William Haas, Lafargeville, at 4 Saturday afternoon at Depauville. Rev. Albert Walker, pastor of the Methodist church of that village, officiated.

The couple was attended by Mr. Haasí brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. Earle Charlebois of Liverpool.

The bride wore a gown of rose with navy accessories and a corsage of American Beauty roses. Mrs. Charlebois wore a blue dress with matching accessories.

Mrs. Haas, a native of this city, received her education at the Parish High school. Mr. Haas, a native of Clayton, is the son of Elmer and Iva Burgen Haas. He attended the Lafargeville schools and is employed by the Jersey Milk and Cream company in that village.

After spending a few days in Canada the couple will make their home with Mr. Haasí grandmother, Mrs. Viletta Haas in Lafargeville.

(Above this notice was a photo of Mrs. Elmereen W. Haas with the following text: ďMrs. Haas before her marriage last Saturday afternoon at Depauville was Miss Emma Pearl Brouse, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter J. Brouse of Parish. The wedding was solemnized by Rev. Albert Walker, pastor of the Methodist church of Depauville. The couple will reside at Lafargeville where Mr. Haas is employed by the Jersey Milk and Cream company.Ē

Typistís Note: The date, ď25 March 1939Ē appeared under the photo.



Redwood, March 2. -- Mrs. Annie Brown Clink, 83, widow of Dr. Robert Clink, resident of Redwood for approximately a half a century, died at the Theresa Community hospital on Wednesday at 11 a.m. from infirmities of old age.

She was born on a leap year and despite her advanced age she had celebrated her birthday only 20 times, the last time on Feb. 29, 1936 when she was honored at a dinner party given by Mrs. Floyd White.

Mrs. Clink was born on Feb. 29, 1856, in Oshawa, Ont., Canada, a daughter of James and Sarah Ann Cooper Brown. She was twice married. Her first husband was a Mr. Parish of South Hammond who died.

She came to this section from Canada first in about 1873. Her marriage to Dr. Robert Clink took place in Brockville, Ont., in November, 1881. He died on Jan. 24, 1901. Her home was in Michigan for a time before returning here a half century ago. Mrs. Clink had been a resident of Redwood ever since.

The survivors are one brother, Samuel Brown of Plessis, and two sisters, Mrs. Jennie DeLair of Hammond and Mrs. Clista Drinkel of Oshawa, Canada.

Funeral services will be held from the home Friday, at 2 p.m., with burial in Oshawa, Ont.



>Mrs. Lucy Russell Bailey Expires in House Where She Was Born---
Her Husband Was Deputy Sheriff 26 Years---
Rites Held at the Home.

(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, March 20. -- Mrs. Lucy Russell Bailey, 74, widow of Patrick A. Bailey, deputy sheriff for 26 years, died Saturday at 4:45 p.m. at her home in this village after an illness of one year with a heart ailment.

Mrs. Bailey was born in the home where she died, on July 10, 1864, a daughter of George and Minerva Story Russell. She was married to Mr. Bailey April 2, 1907, at Utica by Rev. John R. Harding.

Her entire life was spent in this village.

Survivors include one brother, Henry Russell of Denver, Colo., and one half-sister, Mrs. Sanford of Parishville.

Funeral services were held at 2:30 this afternoon from the home, with Rev. Herbert Lamb, jr., of Sherbourne, former pastor of St. Peterís Episcopal church of Redwood, officiating. The body was placed in the vault to await burial in the spring.



(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, March 28. -- Mrs. Lillian Smith Northrup, 77, widow of Edgar C. Northrup, died at her home in this village at 4 this morning after a short illness. She suffered a stroke ten days ago from which she never recovered.

Mrs. Northrup was born in Redwood, Sept. 27, 1861, a daughter of Jacob and Phoebe Archer Smith. Her entire life was spent in this vicinity. She was married to Edgar C. Northrup in the town of Theresa, Nov. 1, 1888, after which they made their home on a farm in that town until ten years ago. Since that time she has made her home in this village. Mr. Northrup died Dec. 4, 1938.

She is survived by one brother, John Smith of Redwood, and three nieces, Mrs. Cora Robinson, Redwood, Mrs. Phoebe Snyder, Ogdensburg, and Mrs. Lillian Dollinger, Theresa. A second brother, Charles Smith, died Feb. 26, 1938, and a sister, Mrs. Harriett Northrup, died March 4, 1938.

Funeral services will be held from the home Thursday at 2:30 p.m. with Rev. Richard Henderson, pastor of St. Paulís Lutheran church, officiating. Burial will be made in the Redwood cemetery.



(Special To The Times)

Black River, March 27. --- Mrs. Mary Flath Alton, 68, wife of Herbert Alton, died at her home on the Pleasant street road, town of Leray, Sunday morning at 10:30 following an extended illness. Death was due to a heart ailment. She had been in poor health for two years and had been seriously ill for the past three months.

She was born in the town of Alexandria, May 19, 1870, a daughter of George and Christina Giltz Flath. Forty-eight years ago she was married to Mr. Alton in a ceremony performed at Redwood. For the past 20 years she had resided on the farm where she died.

Mrs. Alton was a member of the Lutheran church at Redwood for the past 48 years.

Surviving are her husband; three sons, Leslie Alton of Watertown; Roy Alton of Syracuse and Ross Alton of Philadephia; a daughter, Mrs. William (Sylvia) LeClaire of Watertown; three brothers, Adam Flath of Pamelia; John Flath of Philadelphia, and Henry Flath of Redwood; 19 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday morning at 10:30 from the home. Burial will be made in the family plot at the Theresa cemetery.


(photo of Mr. Shoots included)

Former Manager of Glove Factories in New York, California, Wisconsin and Minnesota Expires After Four-Day Illness --
Funeral Thursday.

Theresa, March 28. -- Alfred E. Shoots, 85, retired glove manufacturer, and a 32nd degree Mason, died at his home in Riverside avenue, at 3 p.m. Monday after an illness of four days with grip and heart complications.

He was born in Schenectady Feb. 26, 1854, and as a youth learned glove making. He had charge of departments in factories at Gloversville, and later managed factories in St. Paul, Minn., San Francisco, Calif., and Milwaukee, Wis. When he retirned about 25 years ago, he and his wife bought a place here.

Mr. Shoots was a member of Theresa lodge, No. 174, F. and A. M.; Kilbourn chapter, No. 1, Royal Arch Masons, and Kilbourn council, No. 9, R. S. & S. E. M., Milwaukee; Watertown Commandery, No. 11; Lodge of Perfection; Lodge of Prince of Jerusalem; Chapter of Rose Croix; the Valley of Milwaukee Consistory of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, and Tripoli temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., of Milwaukee, Wis.

Mr. Shoots was three times married. Records here do not give the name of his first wife. His second wife was Catherine Marshall of Felts Mills, whom he married in San Francisco. She died in Theresa about 15 years ago.

On Sept. 12, 1927, Mr. Shoots married Mrs. Nettie Parker of Theresa, who survives.

Also surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Charles Kinsey of San Jose, Calif., and a brother, Edwin Shoots of Amsterdam. An only son, John Shoots, died last May. Another daughter, Mrs. Jennie Burdick, died in California several years ago. All three children were by Mr. Shootsí first wife.

The funeral will be held Thursday at 2 p.m. from the Giltz funeral home here. Rev. U. B. Grant of the Methodist church and Rev. Charles G. Cady, retired Presbyterian minister, will officiate. Theresa lodge will have charge of the service. Burial will be in the family plot in Oakwood cemetery.



Lifelong Resident of Hammond-Chippewa Bay Road, Mr. Cuthbert Lived on Homestead Farm Until Last Year---Funeral Tuesday.

Hammond, April 17. -- George Anderson Cuthbert, 51, died suddenly of a cerebral hemorrhage at his farm home on the Chippewa Bay road yesterday morning at 10. Stricken Saturday while assisting in shearing sheep at his brotherís farm, Mr. Cuthbert was taken to his home and his condition seemed to improve somewhat during the night. However, another attack occurred Sunday morning.

Mr. Cuthbert was the son of the late William S. and Martha J. Cuthbert and was born Nov. 22, 1887, on the farm which had been operated both by his father and grandfather on the Bay road. He was graduated from the Hammond High school and later attended the New York state school of agriculture at Canton, returning to assist his father on his farm. At his fatherís death he assumed management of the farm, which he operated until last year when he purchased an adjoining farm, and sold the family farm to his brother, Lawrence F. Cuthbert of Ogdensburg.

He was married in Feb. 1921 to Mrs. Helen Rodger McCall.

Mr. Cuthbert was a member and former trustee of the Presbyterian church of this village. He was also a member of the Hammond lodge, F. and A. M. An ardent Republican, he served many terms as a member of the county committee.

Surviving besides his wife are his son, Stuart, who lives at home; his daughter, Miss Carol McCall Cuthbert of Brentwood, L. K.; his sister, Mrs. Otto Richter of Brooklyn, and his brother, Lawrence F. Cuthbert of Ogdensburg.

Funeral services will be held from his home Tuesday at 2 p.m., Rev. William G. Bell, officiating.

Typistís Note: The year, 1939, was handwritten at the top of Mr. Cuthbertís obit.



Redwood, April 12. -- Miss Ruth Amelia Spies, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Spies, Redwood, and Gerald Jason Jones, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Jones of DeKalb Junction, former residents here, were married at St. Paulís Lutheran church by Rev. Richard Henderson Monday at 11:30 a. m.

The couple were attended by the brideís parents.

The bride wore a powder blue dress with navy blue accessories and a corsage of Talisman roses. Mrs. Spies wore a brown ensemble and carried American beauty roses.

Following a wedding trip to Syracuse Mr. and Mrs. Jones will reside in Canton.

Typistís Note: The year, 1939, was handwritten at the top of the Spies-Jonesí notice.



Funeral to Be Held From Home Wednesday Afternoon at 2---He Was a Native of Canada

(Special to The Times.)

Plessis, April 10. --- Charles Henry Heath, 62, a carpenter, died at his home here at 6:30 Sunday evening, about 14 hours after he drank muratic (sic) acid. He had been despondent for some time because of lack of work.

Mr. Heath arose early Sunday morning, went to the barn and did the chores. After completing the work at the barn he returned to the house shortly after 6 a.m. and went down cellar. When he came upstairs his wife was getting breakfast. He told her he didnít want anything to eat as he felt sick. Suspending (sic) something was wrong, his wife summoned a doctor. An empty bottle which had contained muratic (sic) acid was found in the cellar. Dr. E. E. Eddy of Redwood and Dr. H. L. Gokey of Alexandria Bay were summoned to the home but efforts to save the manís life were futile.

Dr. Eddy was appointed coronerís physician by District Attorney Carl J. Hynes who was notified.

Mr. Heath was born in Rockport, Ont., on Aug. 23, 1876, a son of Charles and Lucinda Brucker Heath. He came to the United States at the age of 14. On Sept. 5, 1897, he married Miss Gertrude Rhines at Watertown where he was then working. He spent most of his life since coming to the United States in Plessis and vicinity.

Besides his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Harry (Hazel) Forester of Alexandria Bay and Mrs. Kermit (Gladys) Thornhill of Brockville, Ont.; four sons, Leland and Raymond of Watertown and Stanley and Clark Heath at home, and nine grandchildren. Another son, Clarence, died in 1923.

The funeral will be held from the home Wednesday at 2 p.m., Rev. Louis Bruce, pastor of the Plessis Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Burial will be in Brookside cemetery, Plessis.

Bearers will be Frank Bellinger, Hugh Steele, William Hardy and Louis Collins.

Typistís Note: The year, 1939, was handwritten at the top of Mr. Heathís obit.



Theresa, April 25. -- Miss Lillian May Simmons, daughter of the late Albert Eugene Simmons and Pearl Simmons Montondo of this village, was married to Donald Leslie Dollinger, son of Mr. and Mrs. Hershall Dollinger of this village, at 8:15 Thursday evening at Plessis by the Rev. Louis Bruce of the Methodist church. The couple was attended by Mr. and Mrs. Malcolm Frazier, brother-in-law and sister of the bridegroom. The bride wore robinís egg blue with accessories to match. The bridesmaid wore rust with matching accessories.

Mrs. Dollinger is a graduate of the Theresa High school, class of 1938. Mr. Dollinger attended the Redwood High school and at present is operating his farm at Chapels Corners. They will reside upon the farm.

Typistís Note: The year, 1939, was handwritten on the Simmons-Dollinger marriage write-up.



Lifelong Resident of the Town of Alexandria, Mr. Northrup Had Been Town Clerk Two Years---Funeral Services Monday Afternoon.

(Special To The Times)

Alexandria Bay, April 7, --- Ross J. Northrup, 64, town clerk and proprietor of the Northrup laundry the past 20 years, died of a heart attack at 2:30 this morning after three weeksí illness.

Mr. Northrup was born at Barnes settlement, Oct. 10, 1874, and had always resided in this township. Mr. Northrop (sic) was a cheesemaker before he purchased with his brother, William, the local laundry, which he operated first with his brother and then with his nephew, Lloyd Northrup.

In the fall of 1937 Mr. Northrup was elected town clerk and served until three weeks ago when his illness forced him to give up the office.

Mr. Northrup is survived by his sister, Mrs. Robert Fitzsimmons of this village and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday from the Dutch Reformed church, with Rev. Roger Williams, pastor of the local Methodist church, officiating. Burial will be in Barnes Settlement cemetery.

Typistís Note: The year, 1939, was handwritten at the top of Mr. Northrupís obit.



Daughter of Mrs. Nettie Kelsey Is Bride of Member of Theresa Plumbing Firm---She Is Graduate of Potsdam Normal and Nursing School.

Theresa, April 11. -- Miss Grace M. Kelsey, R. N., daughter of Mrs. Nettie Kelsey and the late C. M. Kelsey of this place, was married to Glenn A. Hinman, son of the late Mrs. May E. Turner, Friday afternoon at Wellsboro, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Hinman returned here Saturday.

Mrs. Hinman is a graduate of the Theresa High School in 1926, and of the Potsdam Normal in 1929. She taught for one year, and in September, 1930, she entered Mercy hospital school of nursing at Watertown and was graduated in 1933. Since then she has been employed in private nursing and also in the Theresa Community hospital.

Mr. Hinman attended the Theresa High school and Diebertís Business school at Philadelphia. For a number of years he was employed by the Standard Oil company in Syracuse and later at Ogdensburg and by the Crane company of Syracuse. He has been for a year a member of the plumbing firm of Hinman & Young of this village.

Typistís Note: The year, 1939, was handwritten on the Kelsey-Hinman marriage write-up.


(with photo of bride, Mrs. Wescott C. Holtz)

Miss Catherine M. Bombard, daughter of Mrs. Maude LeH. (sic) Bombard, 240 Central street, and Clifford Bombard of Cape Vincent, became the bride of Wescott C. Holtz, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Holtz of Theresa, at 9 this morning at a ceremony performed at the Holy Family church. Rev. J. Karlton Dewey, assistant pastor, officiated.

Mr. and Mrs. Harold Quinn of Rome were the attendants.

The bride wore a street length dress of dusty pink lace with navy accessories. Her corsage was of talisman roses and white sweet peas.

Mrs. Quinn wore a fuschia crepe dress with suez accessories and a corsage of pink tea roses and white sweet peas.

A wedding breakfast was served to about 15 guests at the Bombard home following the church ceremony. The couple then left on a motor trip to eastern New York and New Jersey. They will be away about a week and will then reside at Theresa.

Miss Bombard has been employed at the Knowlton Brothers mill and Mr. Holtz is a restaurant manager at Theresa.

Typistís Note: The date, April 10, 1939, appeared at the top of the Bombard-Holtz marriage write-up.


Local Man Takes Miss Hazel I. Meeds of Carthage As Bride---
To Make Home Here

Miss Hazel T. (?) Meeds of Carthage became the bride of Worthington W. Simpson, of this village at a ceremony performed Sunday at the Methodist Episcopal church parsonage at Towance, Pa.

The couple, now touring the New England sates, will reside in the village after September 1st.

The bride who is a native of Theresa is the daughter of Mrs. Jessie Meeds, Far (?) Rockway, L. I., and the late George Meeds of Theresa. She taught in the West Carthage school for the past ten years and prior to that time she taught for five years in the rural schools near Theresa.

Mr. Simpson, who is the son of Mrs. Lottie Simpson of this village, is a graduate of Redwood High school and attended the School of Engineering at Syracuse university.

Typistís Note: The date, June 1939, was handwritten at the top of the Meeds-Simpson wedding notice.



Larchmont, Sept. 7. -- Miss Verah Bernetta Hotis, daughter of Mrs. Stella Hotis and the late Frederick Hotis of Plessis, was married here at 3 p.m. Friday to Donald MacDougall Parrish, son of Mrs. Eleanor M. Parrish of Cambridge, N. Y. The ceremony was performed at the Larchmont Avenue church, Rev. Robert M. Russell, pastor of the church, officiated. Rev. Mr. Russell, who is leaving soon to conduct a boyís school in Arizona, was a classmate in Westminister of the bridegroomís brother, Malcolm M. Parrish, president of the Cambridge Valley National bank and treasurer of Washington county.

The bridal attendants were Miss Marion Barbur of New York city and Albert Pierre Moore of New Orleans and New York city.

The bride was graduated from Redwood school and Potsdam Normal school, later receiving her bachelor of science degree from Columbia university. She has taught in the Cambridge High school and more recently in the schools of Sea Cliff, L. I.

Mr. Parrish is a graduate of the Rutgers Preparatory school, later attending the University of Pennsylvania, where he was a member of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity. Until recently Mr. Parrish was engaged in work in New York city, where he was a member of the Seventh regiment.

After the wedding trip, the couple will reside in Waterbury, Conn., where Mr. Parrish is resident manager of the Dictaphone corporation.

Typistís Note: The year, 1939, was handwritten at the top of the Hotis-Parrish wedding write-up.



(Special to The Times.)

Utica, Oct. 2. --- Rev. Francis R. Hoffman, 73, once pastor of St. Paulís Lutheran church of Redwood, Jefferson county, and retired pastor of St. Paulís Lutheran church of this city, died yesterday at his home, 21 Shepherd Place, of heart disease after a brief illness.

Rev. Mr. Hoffman retired as pastor of the local church Dec. 1, 1938, after 34 years of service and he became its pastor emeritus. He had been a minister for more than 51 years, having been ordained in 1888.

He was born in Coberg, Germany, and came to this country in 1888. He attended Wagner college and was its first graduate. He was ordained to the Luther ministry at Redwood July 25, 1888, and immediately became pastor of the Redwood church.

On Aug. 7, 1888, the year of his arrival in the United States, Rev. Mr. Hoffman married Miss Clara C. Kleinfelder in Buffalo.

After leaving the Redwood pastorate, Rev. Mr. Hoffman went to Rochester and later served as pastor of western New York churches. From 190 to 1904 he served as pastor at Niagara Falls.

Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman came here from Niagara Falls in 1904 and since then had resided in this city. Rev. Mr. Hoffman became pastor of St. Paulís church here Oct. 17, 1904.

Until 1931 Rev. Mr. Hoffman conducted services in both the German and English languages. That year German services were discontinued.

Rev. Mr. Hoffman observed the 50th anniversary of his ordination to the ministry in July, 1938. The next month he and Mrs. Hoffman celebrated their golden wedding anniversary.

Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman had seven children. Four are living.

Surviving Rev. Mr. Hoffman, besides his wife, are the four children, Mrs. Elwood Juergensen, New Hartford, Arnold Hoffman and Miss Carola C. Hoffman, Utica, and Paul G. Hoffman, New York, novelist and editor.

Typistís Note: The year, 1939, was handwritten at the beginning of Rev. Hoffmanís obit. Above the obit was a photo of Rev. Hoffman in his vestments -- the caption above reads, ďDIES IN UTICA.Ē

Return to Jefferson County Tidbits

Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page