Depauville, Jefferson County, N. Y.

Births . Weddings . Anniversaries .
Graduations . Deaths .
Miscellaneous Community Happenings .

1930s and 1940s

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8



Lafargeville, Aug. 21. -- Miss Doris Johndrow, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. Johndrow of Depauville became the bride of Lloyd Barton, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Barton, Lafargeville, at 8 Saturday night at the Methodist church in Clayton. Rev. Thomas J. Williams performed the ceremony.

They were attended by Mr. and Mrs. Jefferson Turner.

The bride wore a gray suit with black accessories.

Her bridesmaid wore a gray suit with white accessories.

The bride is a graduate of Clayton High school, Clayton training class and Potsdam State Teachers' college. She is now employed as a teacher in Lafargeville Central school.

The bridegroom attended Lafargeville schools. He served in the armed forces with the First army three years and eleven months, two years of which were in the European theater of war. Since his discharge, he has been employed by the county highway patrol.

After a trip to Canada, they will reside in Lafargeville.


Photo: “CINDERELLA” (8-2-46)
Mrs. Henry C. Purcell of Chaumont, has been selected as “Cinderella,” one of four housewives in the country who will be guests of the Columbia Broadcasting System for a month in New York. She will appear afternoons over CBS and WWNY in broadcasts from New York, telling of her experience there. She will leave for New York on Thursday, Aug. 15.



Mr. Scott, Life Resident of This City,
Had Been Automobile Salesman For Past Seven Years

John William Scott, 53, for seven years a local automobile salesman, died suddenly about 4 this morning at his home, 147 Chestnut Street. Death was due to coronary thrombosis.

Mr. Scott had been in good health. He awoke about a half hour before he died and complained of not feeling well. Dr. George VanDoren was summoned but Mr. Scott died before he arrived.

He was born in this city, Nov. 16, 1884, a son of Elizabeth Leonard Scott, of 803 Washington street, and the late John T. Scott. He had resided in this city all of his life.

Mr. Scott was educated in the local public schools and was graduated from Watertown High school. For the past five years he had been employed as a car salesman for the Gould Automobile company. For two years prior to that he was a salesman for the Quick Motors company. From 1920 to 1931 Mr. Scott was a sales representation of the Goodyear Tire company covering New York state and Pennsylvania.

In early life Mr. Scott was prominent in sports of this city and was affiliated for a number of years with local fish and game protective organizations.

On May 7, 1926, Mr. Scott married Mrs. Emma Bondy Spitz, of New York. Mr. Scott was a member of St. Patrick’s church.

Surviving besides his widow and mother are two sisters, Miss Mabel Scott of 803 Washington street; Mrs. Kenneth A. Chapman of 175 Bishop street, and a brother, Adrian Scott of St. Petersburg, Fla.

The body was taken to the S. J. Payne & Son Funeral home and will be taken to the home later. Funeral services will be held from the home Friday morning at 9:30 and a half hour later from St. Patrick’s church. Burial will be made in Glenwood cemetery.


PARENTS OF THREE COMMIT SUICIDE (Event occurred June 24, 1938)
Die of Monoxide Fumes While Seated in Rear Seat of Car in Garage During Night

Die Penniless and Unable To Provide For Their Three Daughters
Note, Signed By Mrs. Fluno Asks Neighbor to Care For the Girls, Ranging in Age From 12 to 17---Woman Had Long Been in Poor Health.

Penniless and unable to provide for their three daughters, Ross D. Fluno, 51, and his ailing wife, Mrs. Edna Mae Schlough Fluno, 41, tenant farmers residing four miles from Watertown on the Sackets Harbor road, ended their lives during the night in a suicide pact. Their death was caused by monoxide fumes from the family automobile.

Found By Daughter

The lifeless forms of the couple were found shortly after 7 this morning by their eldest daughter, Natalie M. Fluno, 16. The couple, fully clothed, left their home late Thursday night after the three daughters, Natalie, Gladys Kathleen, 15, and Arlene Doris, 12, had retired. They went to a garage at the rear of the farm house and sat side by side in the back seat of the car while the running motor churned the deadly fumes.

In a penciled note, Mrs. Fluno requested a neighbor, and close friend, Mrs. Horace G. (Mary C.) Cole, to care for the three daughters until they collect the insurance policies valued at $5,000.

Mrs. Fluno, it was learned, had been in failing health for the past three years and for the greater part of the last two years had been confined almost constantly to bed. She had a serious heart condition. A year ago she underwent a major operation and at the time of her death was under the care of Dr. V. T. Rear, Chaumont.

No Income in a Month.

Mr. Fluno had always operated farms in this section. He had no cattle on the farm upon which he ended his life and his only possessions were said to be a team of horses and the automobile. At one time he had between 600 and 700 chickens on the Sackets road farm but because he had no income he was forced to sell a few of them at a time to provide food for the family. Previously he had sold eggs in this city. The last of the chickens were sold about a month ago and so far as is known he had no income since that time. The family was not receiving relief.

The couple resided on what is known as the Charles G. Hart farm, located a half mile west of the East Hounsfield Christian church. The farm is on the south side of the highway and is the fourth farm west of the church. The Flunos had lived on the farm for about two years, moving there from Morris Tract, near Chaumont.

According to the information obtained by Sheriff Brayton E. Peck, who personally conducted the formal investigation, the couple went for a ride in the family automobile, a 1929 Chevrolet coach, Thursday afternoon. They left about 2 in the afternoon and returned home two hours later. It is not known where they went but Mr. Fluno drove the car in the direction of Sackets Harbor. After having supper they remained home for the balance of the evening.

“Mother and daddy had laughed and joked with us during the evening,” Natalie, the eldest daughter said. “At about 10 in the evening I prepared mother’s medicine for her and then, with my sisters, went to bed. Daddy was eating then.”

No Intimation of Pact.

The girl said her parents appeared to be in their usual good spirits and never once intimated their intention to end their lives. The children were never informed of the financial circumstances of the family, the daughter said. She was unable to state whether her parents had any money at the time of their death.

Natalie said that her parents usually awaken her in the morning as she was accustomed to preparing breakfast and getting her sisters ready for school. She said this morning she was not called and was awakened by the noise of a milk truck at a farm across the road. It was after 7 then, she said, and she immediately arose from bed. She then went to the first floor of the home and was unable to find her parents. Her father’s bed had been unoccupied, she said, and the covers on her mother’s bed had been neatly folded back.

Find Parents Dead.

The girl then went out of doors and heard the motor of the car running in the garage. She approached the car and there found her parents dead.

“I walked to the car and opened the door,” she said. “I shook mother and screamed, “Mother, Mother.” The car was full of smoke and I realized they were dead. They were sitting close together in the car. I was frightened and ran from the garage. My two sisters were in the house and I called: ‘Arlene! Gladys! mother and daddy are dead. They ran from the house crying and we went to Mrs. Cole’s home.”

Neighbors in the vicinity of the farm were shocked by the tragedy. “They were a very devoted couple,” Mrs. Cole said. “They were very affectionate with their children. They just grinned and bared everything. They were the most lovely people I ever knew. They never told their children any of their troubles.”

After being informed of the tragedy, Mrs. Cole went to the garage and another neighbor, Mrs. Edward (Nina) Jerome, was called and stopped the still running motor.

Sheriff Notifed.

Mrs. Cole telephoned Sheriff Peck and he in turn notified District Attorney Carl J. Hynes. Mr. Hynes also went to the scene.

The bodies were in an upright position on the back seat of the car. They were seated on a neatly folded blanket and Mrs. Fluno’s head rested on a pillow placed at the back of the seat.

Sheriff Peck said that Fluno had cut a hole in the floor at the rear of the car and connected a galvanized conductor pipe with the exhaust pipe. The galvanized pipe was placed through the hole in the floor and protruded upwards in the car for several inches. The motor was operated at a speed of about 25 miles an hour, he said. Gas remained in the tank of the car after the ignition had been turned off.

Dr. Rear was summoned to the home and was named coroner’s physician by the district attorney. He pronounced death due to suicide by monoxide poisoning. He arrived at about 8 a.m. and said the couple had been dead for about six hours. The bodies were removed by R. S. Clark, Chaumont undertaker.

The insurance policies were turned over to the district attorney. Mr. Hynes said no inquest will be held. He pronounced a formal finding of “suicide by monoxide poisoning.”

Note Is Found.

In a search of the house, Mrs. Cole and Natalie found an envelope on a small table near Mrs. Fluno’s bed. The inscription on the outside of the envelope read: “Natalie, give this to Mrs. Cole.”

Mrs. Cole opened the envelope and read the following note:

“Mrs. Cole,
“Will you look after the girls until they get their insurance money? I wish you would be guardian for the girls.
“I have been unable to do for them so long that I am completely discouraged.
“I don’t want you to do this for nothing. You have always been so good to them that I know you will do what you can now.

“I will comply with her wishes the best that I can,” Mrs. Cole told a reporter.

It is believed that Mr. Fluno had attempted to end his life on other occasions. Frequently he has been seen with his car parked on the concrete highway on the Sackets Harbor road. He would always be pretending to repair something on the car, and it is believed that with a double indemnity clause in the insurance policies, he was attempting to cause an accident which would result in the loss of his life so that his family could collect double the amount of the policies. Several persons reported seeing the man on the highway at various times and during the past week after an accident on the Sackets Harbor road, Fluno was questioned at the sheriff’s office. He said then that he had parked his car to repair a tire. The eldest daughter said today that she never knew of him to have trouble with the car. He purchased the automobile by trading in another car at a local garage during the spring.

The home in which the family lives is modestly and comfortably furnished and the children are neat appearing and dress nicely.

Natalie said she was forced to leave school on April 5 so that she might care for her mother. She was a sophomore at the Brownville-Glen Park High school. Gladys is now in the eighth grade and Arlene in the sixth grade of the same school.

The sisters were separated today. Natalie remained at the home of Mrs. Cole but the other two were taken to the home of Mrs. Cole’s son, William D. Eastman, 928 Summer street.

Mrs. Fluno was born at Dexter, Feb. 12, 1897, a daughter of the late Bernard and Nina Schlough. Her daughters are her only survivors.

Mr. Fluno was born at Chaumont, July 9, 1886, a son of the late Orange G. and Mary Becker Fluno. Besides his daughters, he is survived by one sister, Mrs. Edgar (Mollie) Emerson, Perch River, and a half-brother, Edward A. Fisher, also of Perch River.

Married in 1918.

The couple was married at the home of Mrs. Fluno’s parents in Dexter in 1918. They had always lived on farms. Before moving to the farm on the Sackets Harbor road they resided for about a year on the Harry Ashwin farm at Morris Tract, near Chaumont. For about four years, they lived on a farm at Perch River which was owned by Mr. Fluno’s brother-in-law and sister. They were buying that farm but were unable to make payments when their finances became depleted. They had also lived on farms at Pillar Point, Pamelia and Stone Mills.

The bodies were taken to the R. S. Clark funeral parlors at Chaumont and will probably be taken to the family home late Saturday. Double funeral services will be held from the home at 1:30, (E.D.T.), Sunday afternoon with Rev. Paul A. Roy, pastor of the Dexter Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Burial will be made in the family plot of the Dexter cemetery.

Photos: This write-up was accompanied by three photos: 1) photo of the “Farmhouse Where Double Tragedy Took Place” 2) photo of the “Three Sisters Orphaned by suicide Pact” 3) photo of “Suicide Victims in Early Life”



One Policy Was Four Years Old and Will Be Effective Despite Suicide---Mother Had $1,000.

Ross D. Fluno, 51, and his wife, Mrs. Edna Mae Schlough Fluno, the destitute tenant farmers residing on the Sackets Harbor road, four miles from Watertown, who died early Friday morning in a suicide pact, held insurance policies amounting to $11,000, it was learned today, but their three daughters will probably not be able to collect on all of them.

The daughters, Natalie M., 16, Gladys Korleen, 15, and Arlene Doris, 12, who will be the beneficiaries of the couple, are likely to realize only about $5,000 from the policies, it was said, because of a suicide clause in them.

At the time of his death Mr. Fluno was insured for $10,000 under two $5,000 policies and the belief that he planned the suicides is strengthened by the fact that he obtained the last of these policies on June 1. The policies have a clause which provides that the amount will not be paid if they are not two years old. Only one quarterly premium was paid on the last policy and that premium will be returned to the estate. The other $5,000 will be payable as it was four years old at the time of the suicide.

It was also learned today that Mrs. Fluno was insured for $1,000 under two $500 policies but whether they are old enough to eliminate the two year limitation for suicide could not be ascertained.

The couple was found dead of monoxide poisoning early Friday morning by their eldest daughter. When found they were in the rear seat of the family automobile which was parked in the garage and the motor of the car was still running.

In a note left by Mrs. Fluno, she requested Mrs. Horace J. (Mary C.) Cole, a neighbor, to “look after the girls until they receive their insurance.”

The orphaned sisters were separated Friday when they were taken to different homes but Mrs. Cole said she would take them all to her home today. The future of the sisters is undecided. Mrs. Fluno in the note requested Mrs. Cole to be guardian of the girls.

Natalie, the eldest daughter, accompanied by Mrs. Cole, went to the R. S. Scott undertaking parlors at Chaumont Friday night and made final plans for the double funeral on Sunday.

Identical caskets of the half couch style, covered with a rich dark and plush material, were selected for the victims. The bodies will be taken to the farm house late this afternoon and the caskets will be placed end to end in the parlor of the house.

The funeral services will be held from the home at 1:30 (E. D. T.), Sunday afternoon with Rev. Paul A. Roy, pastor of the Dexter Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Burial will be made in the family plot of the Dexter cemetery.

Two sets of bearers will carry the caskets and two hearses will be used to transport them to the cemetery.

The bearers will be Horace J. Cole, Edward and James Jerome, Louis N. Mereand, Herbert H. Tasket, Howard W. Cleary and Stanley Peer, all residents of the Sackets Harbor road, and Donald Hall, resident of the Coffeen street road.

Note: Death Notices followed. (not included here)


Item: (November 13, 1946)
Floyd R. Flansburg, 226 Stuart street, picked a pint of red raspberries on the Patrick farm, Pillar Point, Saturday. This was the latest date Mr. Flansburg had ever found raspberries growing in the area. He also saw a number of strawberries growing on the same farm.



Mrs. Byron D. Wager, 210 East Lynde street, announces the engagement of her granddaughter, Miss Joyce Evelyn Hiscock, to Joseph John Navarra, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Navarra, 468 Coffeen street.

The wedding will take place the latter part of August.

Miss Hiscock was graduated from the Watertown High school and is now employed by the Agricultural Insurance company.

Mr. Navarra is also a graduate of Watertown High school. He served in the United States Navy and was honorably discharged in May. He plans to enter college this fall.

Photo: of Miss Hiscock included.


Becomes Bride of John I. Bach at Bethany Methodist Church

Miss Thelma G. Hughes, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank A. Hughes, 927 Gotham street, and John I. Bach, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ingvar L. K. Bach, 635 Mill street, were married Saturday afternoon at 2 in the Bethany Methodist church. The marriage ceremony was performed by Rev. Lisle B. Caldwell. Nuptial music was played by Miss Frances K. Ryder, church organist.

A reception was held at Green Towers following the ceremony. The couple are now on a trip through the Adirondack mountains. They will be at home after June 3 at 620 Gotham street.

The bride was attired in a white flannel suit with navy blue accessories. She carried a nosegay of white roses and lilies of the valley.

Mrs. John Wingel was her sister’s only attendant. She was dressed in a coral (words missing) with navy blue accessories and wore a corsage of white sweet peas. Everett Smith was the best man.

Mrs. Bach is a graduate of Watertown High school and is employed as a stenographer in the office of Failing & Timmerman insurance.

Mr. Bach receive his education (a photo of Mrs. John I. Bach) was pasted over the remainder of this paragraph.

Photo: On this page with no accompanying text was a photo of Edward Crandall, dated 9-27-1946)



Lifelong Farmer of That Section, Mr. Storms Had Been in Ill Health Since March
---Body Found Hanging in Granary By His Son and Norman Landon.
(Special To The Times)

Depauville, June 20. -- Charles J. Storms, 59, lifelong farmer of this section, committed suicide by hanging last evening in the granary of the barn at his farm near Gunns Corners.

Despondency over ill health since March is believed to have been the reason for his suicide.

Mr. Storms left the house about 7 last evening and was found hanging by a rope from a rafter in the granary two hours later by his son, Floyd, and Norman Landon, Gunns Corners storekeeper. They had been searching for Mr. Storms for some time.

The verdict of suicide was given by Dr. Clarence Fowler of Dexter, coroner’s physician. Notified by Mr. Landon, Sheriff Brayton E. Peck and Deputy Sheriff Byron McDermott investigated.

Mr. Storms was born in the town of Theresa, April 20, 1879, son of John and Mary Pierce Storms. He married Miss Linnie Plato of Depauville, Oct. 1, 1902. The wedding was performed in Chaumont by Rev. H. L. Campbell, then Methodist pastor there.

Mr. Storms had lived near here almost all of his life. He bought the present farm 22 years ago. He was a member of the Perch River grange.

Surviving besides his wife and son, Floyd, at home, are another son, Clarence Storms, of Hartford, Conn.; one granddaughter, Carolyn Storms, of Hartford; one brother, Ernest Storms, of Watertown; three sisters, Mrs. Samuel Rice of Adams, and Mrs. Ward Dunning of Cape Vincent; one uncle, F. L. Pierce of Watertown, and several nephews and nieces.

Services will be held from home Wednesday at 2 p.m. (E. S. T.), with Rev. Dr. Harry Westbrook Reed, pastor of All Souls Universalist church in Watertown, officiating. Interment will be in the Lafargeville cemetery.


Wounded By Man Who Tried to Frighten Group

Shooting Occurs as Boys Move Small Building Used by W. P. A. Workmen---State Police Make Investigation---Wound Not Serious.

Charles Darou, jr., 14-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Darou of Depauville, is in the Mercy hospital with a bullet wound received about 10:30 Monday evening when he was struck by a .22 calibre rifle bullet fired by a Depauville resident in an attempt to frighten a group of boys playing Hallowe’en pranks.

The boy’s condition is not considered serious. The bullet entered the right thigh. It has not yet been removed.

The name of the man who fired the shot will not be revealed by the state police until this afternoon when the investigation is expected to be completed. Whether there will be a criminal charge against the man has not been decided by the authorities.

State Troopers George Kidney and Robson of Clayton were investigating the shooting this morning and questioned the wounded boy at the hospital.

The shooting occurred near Art’s garage of Depauville, owned and operated by Arthur Stinson. Mr. Stinson admitted ownership of the rifle; but refused to divulge who fired the shot.

Mr. Stinson said that a group of village boys, including the Darou boy, were playing Hallowe’en pranks. He said that they moved a small building used by the W. P. A. workmen from near the riverbank in Depauville to a point close to the garage.

Mr. Stinson said that the shot intended to frighten the boys struck the cement, but glanced off and hit the Darou boy in the thigh.

After the shooting the boy went home and Dr. Vernon T. Rear of Chaumont was called to attend him. The boy was admitted to the hospital at 1 this morning. Dr. M. M. Gardner attended him at the hospital.


SHAW--In the Mercy hospital, Sept. 5, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. Roland Shaw, Evans Mills, Route 1, a daughter.


May Irwin. . . . .Comedienne.
Ward Morehouse in his column, “Broadway After Dark” in the New York Sun of Oct. 24:

May Irwin’s dead . . . A grand comedienne, who reigned in the theater for forty odd years. Several years ago she invited me to her place on the banks of the St. Lawrence, three miles out of the Thousand Islands town of Clayton. I found her vigorous and hearty; blunt, humorful and pleasantly gruff. She lived with her husband, Kurt Eisfeldt. She had a mile of shore front, a pacing mare and a trotter, and cows that supplied 900 pounds of milk daily. She talked of life and the theater to me as she sat in her big chair beside the St. Lawrence, sipping a Planters’ punch (recipe from the Myrtle Bank Hotel, Kingston, Jamaica) . . . The daylight was fading; a great red-and-black freighter was gliding past her window, eastbound for Montreal.

“Look at that river,” she commanded. “Look at it. I’ve traveled all over this fool world and I’ve seen a lot of rivers, but there’s never been one like the St. Lawrence. I’ve never tired of looking at it and I’ve never seen it twice the same.” . . . May Irwin had been twice around the world; to Java and Japan and Bali. She knew the people of the America of her time: McKinley, Richard Croker, Augustin Daly, Chanucey Depew, Theodore Roosevelt, George Ade, Daniel Frohman, President Wilson. Booth Tarkington was her great friend; so were Harry Leon Wilson and George C. Tyler . . . A remarkable woman, I always thought. May Irwin Eisfeldt, born at Whitby, Ontario, in ‘61; died in New York, October ‘38.


Married in Middle Road Church to Floyd J. Flansburg, This City.

Miss Dorothy Jean Shannon, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John T. Shannon, R. D. 2, Middle Road, became the bride of Floyd James Flansburg, son of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd R. Flansburg, 226 Stuart street, in a ceremony performed at 10 Saturday morning in the Middle Road Congregational church by Rev. Fred T. Thayer, New Haven, former pastor of the Middle Road Congregational church.

Miss Shirley J. Flansburg, sister of the bridegroom, was the maid of honor and Lieut. (s.g.) Gerald T. Shannon, brother of the bride, was best man. Clarence E. Maxim, cousin of the bride, and Leslie E. Daniels, fiance of Miss Flansburg, were the ushers. A reception for the bridal party and immediate families was held at 11 a.m., at the Green Towers. The couple left on a wedding trip of one week. They will reside at Dexter, R.D.

The bride, given in marriage by her father, wore the traditional white gown of brocaded organza, fashioned with long, full sleeves, tapered at the elbow and ending in a point at the wrists. The gown, which had a sweetheart neckline, had a fitted bodice which was gathered onto a full skirt with a bustle effect and ended in a short train. Mrs. Flansburg wore a finger-tip-length veil gathered on a net bonnet trimmed with bows of seed pearls. She wore a single strand of pearls and carried a shower bouquet of white roses with tiny blue forget-me-nots tied on the end of each white satin streamer.

Miss Flansburg, the maid of honor, wore a gown of blue net and American beauty rosebuds in her hair. She carried a mixed bouquet of spring flowers and roses.

Francis C. Dodge, second tenor of the Watertown Male Chorus, sang “Because” and “Always,” accompanied by Mrs. Milton H. Andrus, organist of the church, who also played the bridal chorus and other selections.,

Mrs. Flansburg, a graduate of the Watertown High school and the Watertown school of commerce, has been employed as cashier at the Personal Finance company here for the past five and a half years.

Mr. Flansburg, a veteran of four years service in the navy, including ten months in the Pacific area, was also graduated from the local high school. He was honorably discharged on Jan. 12 with a rating of shipfitter, second class. He has returned to his job at the Ryan Plumbing and Heating company, this city.


GRAVELIN-SHELEY---In this city, Oct. 5, 1946, to Joseph W. Gravelin, 215 West Hoard street, machine operation, and Miss Rosemary A. Sheley, (61 Arsenal street, secretary.

WRIGHT-HIGGINS ---In this city, Oct. 12, 1946, in St. Paul’s Episcopal church by Rev. John R. Bill, Paul F. Wright, 729 Lansing street, and Miss Jean Marie Higgins, 145 Sterling street.


Miss Percy Is Engaged To Wed (1949) - photo included
Alexandria Bay, May 21. The engagement of Miss Beverly Percy, daughter of William Wetterhahn, Cleveland, O., and the late Hubert Percy, Watertown, and Robert D. Mitchell, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. Grant Mitchell, Monticello Hotel, this village, has been announced here.

The wedding ceremony will take place Wednesday, June 8, in the Reformed Church of the Thousand Islands at 2:30 p.m. Rev. William M. Hunter, pastor, will officiate.

Miss Percy is a graduate of the Alexandria Central school in the class of 1948 and for the past year has been employed at the local office of the New York Telephone company as an operator. She was active in sports and music while in school.

Mr. Mitchell was graduated from Alexandria Central school in 1947 and is now attending Syracuse university college of business administration. He was active in sports and music while a student in the local school.

Mr. and Mrs. Wetterhahn are former residents of Depauville and Alexandria Bay. Mr. Wetterhahn was employed by the Thousand Islands Bus Line until a year ago when he moved to Cleveland.



Son of Former Bay Mayor Weds Miss Beverly Percy in Church Ceremony.

Alexandira Bay, June 9. -- Miss Beverly Percy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Wetterhahn, Alexandria Bay and Akron, and of the late Hubert Percy, became the bride of Robert D. Mitchell, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. Grant Mitchell, this village, here Wednesday afternoon.

The ceremony was performed in the Reformed Church of the Thousand Islands at 2:30 p.m. Rev. William M. Hunter, pastor, officiated.

Miss Carol White, Lafargeville, was maid of honor, and William G. Mitchell, brother of the bridegroom, was the best man. Ushers were James Mitchell and Charles Mitchell, brothers of the bridegroom.

The bride was given in marriage by her uncle, Earl E. White, a member of the Thousand Islands Bridge authority and cashier at the First National bank of Lafargeville.

The bride was attired in a beige suit with brown accessories and wore a corsage of brown orchids. Her attendant wore a gold suit with white accessories with a corsage of pink roses.

The bride’s mother chose a suit of sand gabardine with a corsage of yellow roses, while the bridegroom’s mother was attired in a dress of pink shell lace and wore a corsage of red roses.

Following the church ceremony a reception was held at the Monticello hotel for about 75 friends and relatives. The couple left at 7 p.m. by automobile for Brockville, Ont., where they will embark for a cruise up the Saguenay river. They will be at home at 10 Rock street after June 14.

The bride attended the Alexandria Central school and was graduated in 1948. Since leaving school she has been employed at the local office of the New York Telephone company.

The bridegroom was graduated from the Alexandria Central school and has completed his freshman year at Syracuse university. He is employed for the summer months by the Ward Boat line of this village, operated by Ward-Mitchell Inc.

Photo: A photo of the Percy-Mitchell wedding party was included with the above write-up.


COUPLE MARRIED FOR HALF CENTURY (September 23, 1949 clipping - with photo)
Mr. and Mrs. Edwin T. Babcock to Celebrate Anniversary Tuesday.
Mr. and Mrs. Edwin T. Babcock of 423 Broadway avenue East will celebrate
their golden wedding anniversary Tuesday quietly at their home.

Mr. and Mrs. Babcock were married Sept. 27, 1899, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James L. Atwood, 50 Factory street, by the late Rev. Byram G. Sanford, a Methodist minister.

Mrs. Babcock, the former Miss Maud Dodge, was born on Sept. 15, 1876, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Dodge, near Depauville. Mr. Babcock was born on March 22, 1874, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Babcock, also living near Depauville.

They lived on the F. D. Lowe farm for a few years, then moved to Point Salubrious, where Mr. Babcock worked on another farm. A year later they bought Mr. Babcock’s father’s farm, which had been in the family since 1836. There they lived for 19 years.

In 1923 they moved to Watertown because of Mrs. Babcock’s health, and Mr. Babcock worked for a time for the W. A. Sullivan lumber company.

Mr. and Mrs. Babcock have three daughters, Mrs. Roland C. (Anita) Durand of 420 East Broadway avenue; Mrs. E. A. (Frances) Stratton, South Fallsburg; and Mrs. Lewis M. (Angela) Carr of Clayton.

There are eight grandchildren: Richard Robert and David Durand; and Charles, Lou Ann, Thomas, Lawrence and Jerry Carr.

Mr. and Mrs. Babcock are both in fine health.


MISS BERTHA L. DENESHA BRIDE (1949 - accompanied with a photo of the complete wedding party)
Depauville Girl Wed to Carleton H. Marsh, Clayton.

Depauville, June 17. -- Miss Bertha Louise Denesha, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Forest Denesha, Depauville, became the bride of Carleton H. Marsh, son of Mrs. Cora Henderson Marsh of Clayton, and the late Sydney Marsh, Sunday at 8 p.m. in a candlelight ceremony in the Depauville Methodist church.

Rev. A. W. Walker of Pittsford, N. Y., former pastor, performed the double ring ceremony.

Miss Majorie Denesha was her sister’s maid of honor and Miss Marian Pickert of Antwerp, cousin of the bride, was bridesmaid.

George Marsh of Watertown was his brother’s best man.

Miss Linda Cantwell, niece of the bride, was flower girl, and James Nims, jr., and Glenn Denesha, nephews of the bride, were the ring bearers. The ushers were Lloyd (?) LaTarte, jr., and James D. Nims.

The nuptial music was played by Horace Jones, jr., of New York City, who sang “Forever and Ever” and “Because.” The altar was decorated with mixed flowers and palms.

The bride, given in marriage by her brother, Glyndon F. Denesha, wore an ivory satin and lace gown, fashioned with a sweetheart neckline, fitted bodice with a full skirt ending in a long train. The long sleeves ended in points at the hand. Her fingertip lace-edged veil was attached to a coronet of seed pearls. She carried a cascade bouquet of white roses centered with a white orchid.

The maid of honor was gowned in light pink taffeta with net yoke and fitted bodice and full hoop skirt and wore a picture hat of pink net and arm mitts the same as the dress, ending in points at the hand, and carried a pink bouquet of sweet peas and carnations.

The bridesmaid wore light blue taffeta fashioned the same as the maid of honor’s, a picture hat of blue net and matching mitts. She carried a blue bouquet of sweet peas and carnations.

The flower girl wore a white satin gown styled like those of the maid of honor and bridesmaid with a sweetheart headdress of white net and short nylon gloves. She carried a white crocheted basket filled with pink rosebuds and white carnations. The ring-bearers were dressed in white gabardine suits and carried the rings in a calla lily.

The mother of the bride wore an aqua gabardine suit with white accessories and a corsage of yellow roses.

The bridegroom’s mother was attired in black with black and white accessories and a corsage of light pink roses.

A reception was held immediately after at the home of the bride’s sister, Mrs. James D. Nims, for about 45 relatives, after which the couple left for a short wedding trip to Rochester and Gasport.

On their return they will reside at 683 Riverside Drive, Clayton.

For her going-away costume, Mrs. Marsh chose a powder blue gabardine suit with white accessories and her corsage was a white orchid.

The bride was graduated from Clayton Central school in 1947, and since then has been employed at the Stebbins Engineering and Manufacturing company of Watertown.

Mr. Marsh was graduated from Clayton Central school in 1943. He is employed at Staebler and Baker in Clayton.

Out-of-town guests present at the wedding were from Watertown, Clayton, Gouverneur, Antwerp, Richville, Rochester and Syracuse.

Pre-nuptial showers were given for the bride by the Misses Patricia Rayome and Jean Simmons, Watertown, and Mrs. Ethel Spencer and Mrs. Carl Exford, Depauville.


North Centenarian Dies Near Depauville (1949)
(Photo included.)
James E. Abrams Was 2 Days Short of Father’s Age When He Died.
(Special to The Times.)

Chaumont, March 25. -- James E. Abrams, 100, died at his home on the Depauville-St. Lawrence road at 3:15 Thursday afternoon, following an illness of two weeks. Mr. Abrams had been in good health for his age and did not use glasses. His mental facilities were very alert.

Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 from his home, where he lived with a son, Homer C. Abrams. Rev. Henry A. Bridges, pastor of St. Lawrence Methodist church, will officiate and burial will be made in St. Lawrence cemetery.

Surviving him besides his son, Homer, with whom he lived, are three more children, William of St. Lawrence, Mrs. Lillian Emberley, Depauville and Mrs. Robert (Emma) Craib (sic), Three Mile Bay. Two grandchildren, Mrs. Ralph (Dora) Spencer, Depauville, and Karl W. Emberley, of Watertown, also survive.

The former lumberjack, river driver and railroad worker, was born in Odessa, Ont., Jan. 8, 1849, the son of Mr. and Mrs. William Abrams. His father, a farmer and hotel operator, lived past the age of 100 himself, and died Feb. 19, 1915. A brother, Howard, of Kingston, Ont. lived to be 93; he also operated the Verona hotel.

Mr. Abrams married the former Miss Mary Jane Nesbit of Harrowsmith, Ont., May 14, 1876, and the couple worked farms in the vicinity of Verona for 30 years. They came to the United States in 1904 and moved to the present farm home a year later. Mrs. Abrams died March 16, 1933, at the age of 75.

After retiring from the active management of the farm Mr. Abrams remained with his son, who is carrying on the property.

Mr. Abrams was a member of the Orange lodge, F. and A. M., Verona, before coming to this country, and is an honorary member of the Depauville lodge, No. 668.

He had needed a doctor’s care only once recently, when he was butted by a cow while doing dairy work in 1946. He recovered in two weeks.

The Jefferson county resident once remarked that longevity “came naturally” to his family.

His father was 100 years, two months and 18 days old when he died and Mr. Abrams was 100 years, two months and 16 days at his death.


DR. BURT D. DAVIS, 81, DENTIST, DIES (Aug. 6, ‘49)

Depauville, Aug. 8. -- Funeral services were held this afternoon at Depauville for Dr. Burt D. Davis, 81, practicing dentist in Depauveille, Lafargeville and Clayton for more than 40 years, who died Saturday morning about 10:30 at his home. Burial was made in the Depauville cemetery.

Dr. Davis, who retired five years ago because of failing health had been in bed for ten months. Death was attributed to the influenza and old age.

He was the last surviving charter member of the Cape Vincent Volunteer Fire Department formed in 1884.

Dr. Davis is survived by his wife, the former Mrs. Nellie Sternberg, two brothers, Anson R. Davis and Allen F. Davis, both of Cape Vincent.

Born in Rochester on January 12, 1868, Dr. Davis was the oldest son of Richard Anson and Lydia Brook Davis., The family moved to Cape Vincent about 1870 and in 1899 he entered Potsdam State Normal School and was graduated in 1893. He taught school in Jefferson County and at North Lawrence, Ossining and Oxbow before entering dentistry.

Dr. Davis was graduated from the University of Buffalo Dental School in 1905.

On December 28, 1898, Dr. Davis married Miss Nellie Sternberg of Depauville. He continued to practice in Depauville until his retirement.



Dr. Burt B. Davis, 81, well known Jefferson county dentist, died at his home in Depauville on Saturday morning August 6 at 10, following an illness of several years.

Dr. Davis was born in Rochester, January 12, 1868, eldest son of the late Richard Anson and Lydia Brook Davis. The family came to Cape Vincent about 1870 and Dr. Davis spent his early life in this village and attended the local school.

In 1889 he entered Potsdam State Normal school and was graduated from there in 1893. He taught in various schools in this section for a few years before entering the University of Buffalo, to become a dentist. He completed his course there in 1905.

Following his graduation from the university, he practiced dentistry in Lafargeville, Clayton and Depauville until his health failed and he retired from active practice. Since that time he has resided in Depauville.

On December 28, 1898, Dr. Davis was married to Miss Nellie Sternberg, of Depauville, who survives him. Besides his widow, he is survived by two brothers Anson R. Davis, and Allen S. Davis, both of Cape Vincent.

Dr. Davis, who was an active practicing dentist in this county for over forty years, was also the last surviving charter member of the Cape Vincent Fire Department, which was founded in 1884.

Funeral services were held from his late home in Depavuille on Monday afternoon of this week at 2, with the Rev. Victor Fellows, of the Depauville Methodist church, officiating. Burial was made in the family pot in the Depauville cemetery.



Harold D. Ludlow, 37, of Depauville, died this morning at 8:45 in the Mercy hospital, where he had been a patient since Sept. 3. Death was attributed to heart and kidney ailments. In poor health about three years, he was critically ill when admitted to the hospital a week ago.

Funeral services will be held Monday morning at 8:30 from the home at Depauville and at 9 in All Saints’ Catholic church of Chaumont, Rev. E. P. Burns, pastor of the church, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Depauville cemetery.

Surviving Mr. Ludlow are his mother, Mrs. Louise Mary Ludlow, with whom he lived at Depauville; five brothers, Louis K. Ludlow, Theresa, Royal J. and Ernest P. Ludlow, Depauville, Edwin E. Ludlow, Syracuse, and a sister, Mrs. Harvey (Helena) Conant, Alexandria Bay. He was unmarried.

Mr. Ludow was born Feb. 20, 1911 at Conneaut, O., a son of Edward D. and Louise Mary LaBonte Ludlow. He has been a resident of Depauville the past 13 years and formerly resided at Chaumont. Formerly, he was employed at the New York Air Brake company plant here, but poor health compelled him to quit work there and for the past few years he had been a paperhanger and painter.



Depauville Group Organized Under Terms
Set Down by Early Settlers.

Depauville, Sept. 7. --- At a meeting held last Tuesday evening at the Stone school house in Depauville, a society was formed, called the Depauville Union society. This society replaces the one formed in September 1925, which was called the Baptist Improvement society.

The new society is in accordance with the original deed given by Francis Depau and wife, in 1835. Depau in his deed gave a grant of land to the Depauville Union society, which was to be under the control of five trustees and their successors. This grant of land was to be used for the erection of a school.

Mr. Fred Sternberg, the only living member of the trustees, of the former society, acting as chairman of the meeting, suggested that this new society be formed and that both the church and school property be under the new name and be controlled by five trustees as originally planned by Depau.

The school house was replaced in 1945 by a modern school by the centralized district, and unless looked after will soon be in decay and ruins.

Mrs. LuNette Garlock Brown of Brooklyn, was present. Mrs. Brown’s parents were early settlers in this community and active in the Stone church while it was under the Baptist denomination. She presented the newly formed society, the deed of the property of School District No. 1 and with it an endowment of $1,000

to be used by the trustees to keep the property of the church and school in needed repairs.

Mrs. Brown has done a great deal with donations and work in improving the old Stone church and it is now a well preserved land-mark in this community.

The following trustees were elected one year terms, Fred Sternberg; two year term, William B. Huchzermeier, jr.; three year term, Burton Dodge; four year term, Mrs. Perl Spencer and a five year term, Vernet Schnauber. These trustees will form the by-laws for the society, observing the rules in the original De Pau’s grant.

At present Sunday school classes from the Stone church are being held in the schoolhouse, and other organizations may use it for meetings. Eventually the trustees hope through the aid of the community to have a historical room and a library in this old schoolhouse and it will be as well preserved as the Stone church in years to come.

Note: The following was pencilled on the bottom of this clipping: “Times - Sept. 7, /48 by Ethel Spencer”.


Photo: A photo of Mrs. Lloyd Grant and son, Bruce appeared on this page. The date Nov 30 /48 appeared on the photo and the text reads:

ON WAY TO MANILA --- Mrs. Lloyd Grant and son, Bruce, age 22 months, left Philadelphia today to fly to San Francisco. From there they will go by an army transport boat to Manila, Philippine Islands, where she will join her husband, First Lieut. Lloyd Grant. Lieutenant Grant is unit commander of Headquarters company of the 657th Engineers Survey Squad in Cavite, near Manila. It will take 19 days by boat, and Mrs. Grant hopes to be with her husband for Christmas.


A. B. Baltz Dead at 72 (Nov. 4 - 49)

LAFARGEVILLE -- Albert B. Baltz, 72, hay dealer for 43 years, died yesterday at his residence in this village of leukemia. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Ada M. Dorr Baltz; a daughter, Mrs. Howard N. Dollinger of Utica, and a brother, Chester A. Baltz of Kingston. Funeral services will be held from the family residence tomorrow afternoon at 2, the Rev. Rochurch, officiating.

Burial will take place at LaFargeville. Mr. Baltz was a life resident of LaFargeville.


Norman Gould, 13, Depauville, suffered a fractured leg shortly before 8 Saturday night when his bicycle and a car collided on the Depauville-Clayton state road, a quarter of a mile from Depauville.

The boy was brought to the Mercy hospital for treatment after the accident. The car involved was being driven north by Leon Gillette, 63, Depauville mail carrier. The car Gillette was driving is owned by Francis Dwyer, Depauville.

Gillette told Undersheriff L. Raymond Johndrow that he blew his horn for the boy on the bicycle ahead of his car on the road. He said Gould looked back and lost control of his bicycle which collided with the passing car.


PHOTO: Beauty Queen Honored - Miss Nancy Blake, center, chosen Queen of the Thousand Islands in a bathing beauty contest at Clayton, presided over the Labor Day weekend festivities there. Shown with her are her attendants, Miss Helen Frances Bertram, at left, and Miss Bonita Wood. In the back is Mayor James Patch. All are from Clayton



Perl W. Devendorf, Brownville, Jefferson county business man, is the chief beneficiary of the estate of his mother, the late Mrs. Emma L. Devendorf of Lafargeville, who left a gross estate of $36,630.95, according to the inheritance tax appraisal filed with Russell Wright, surrogate, by County Treasurer Oren S. Pickard. Attorney John H. O’Brien of this city represents the estate.

Mr. Devendorf will receive a total of $25,106.95 out of the net estate of $34,104.34.

The gross estate consists of $2,137.50 realty, $31,519.25 securities, $2,132.50 bank accounts, etc., and $841.50 miscellaneous property. Deductions amount to $2,526.61 including $1,658 funeral and administration expenses and $868.61 indebtedness.

Securities include 765 shares of F. W. Woolworth Company stock valued at $31,365, ten shares of Woodruff Holding Corporation stock $50 and one share of Central New York Power Corporation stock $104.25.

Those who share in the net estate besides Mr. Devendorf are: George A. Devendorf, grandsoon, Opelika, Ala., $3,030.72; his wife, Mrs. Jane C. Devendorf, $136.50; Mrs. Helen S. D. Wingfield, granddaughter, Fort Knox, Ky., $411.50; William S. Carnes, grandson, city, $3,167.22; his wife, Mrs. Helen C. Carnes, $10.70; Mrs. Gladys C. Devendorf, wife of Perl W. Devenddorf (last line not legible.)


PHOTO: TAKE ICE BOAT WEDDING TRIP --Mr. and Mrs. Earl E. White, jr., Lafargeville, are shown in the power driven ice sled in which they journeyed over the frozen St. Lawrence river to spend the first five days of their wedding life in a Thousand Islands camp. The boat is designed to navigate open stretches of water when encountered and climbs out onto the ice like a duck.

Pictured above, left to right, in the boat, are: The bridegroom and bride; Theodore Dingman, father of Mrs. White and Ira Bruce, this village, owner and operator of the boat.

Standing left to right are: Theodore White, Earl E. White, sr., brother and father of the bridegroom; Mrs. Virginia Dingman, mother of Mrs. White; Mrs. Earl E. White, sr.; Miss Carol White, Miss Molly Dingman, Merril LaLonde, Clayton; LeRoy White and Ralph Senecal.


Couple Takes Wedding Trip in Open Iceboat
Mr. and Mrs. Earl E. White, Jr., Back After Five Days at Camp on Grenadier Island

Alexandria Bay, Feb. 11. -- Tradition that June is the honeymoon month at the Thousand Islands was ignored this past week by Mr. and Mrs. Earl E. White, jr., Lafargeville, who returned to Alexandria Bay Sunday after spending the first five days of their married life in a houseboat camp on Grenadier Island on the Canadian side of the St. Lawrence river.

Expressing nothing but enthusiasm for their five-day mid-winter sojourn on one of the Thousand Islands, the newlyweds made the return journey to this village--a twelve-mile distance--in an open, power-driven ice boat, owned and operated by Ira Bruce, this village.

The novel idea of a honeymoon on one of the Thousand Islands group got underway after their wedding last Wednesday in St. Cyril’s church here. Frank Dingman, this village, grandfather of the bride, provided the camp located on the most northern extremity of Grenadier Island’s snow and ice bound shores. The couple set out on the first adventure of their married lives directly after the wedding ceremony.

The bridegroom’s qualifications as provider and husband were put to an early test upon arrival at the cold and snow banked houseboat which had been pulled out on the shore of the island.

Fires had to be lighted to combat the prevailing sub-zero temperature, wood had to be brought in and paths shoveled around the camp for convenience underfoot. However, once the round oak stove began to roar and the kitchen cook stove got underway, Mrs. White reported that the camp soon became comfortable and surprisingly there was little dampness in the structure to cause any discomfort.

Mr. White, faced with the problem of water supply, found it necessary . . . (line not legible). . .and chop a hole through more than 18 inches of ice before striking water. The water was carried to the camp in a pail which the couple laughingly pointed out froze over in the camp each night and had to be broken up in the morning before any cooking or toilet operations could be commenced.

In reporting on the journey to and from the camp, they stated that the power-driven ice boat was an ideal means of transportation on the river during the winter months. The twelve-mile trip was made in about half an hour over hard-packed snow with occasional patches of bare ice. No open stretches of water were observed.

The most harrowing experience reported by the couple occurred on the second day when they decided to take a walk on the island and inspect their surroundings. They walked through waist deep snow in some places over ice and land to the home of Fred Hodge, caretaker at the Grenadier Island Golf and Country club. The complete walking tour covered ten miles and exhausted Mrs. White.

The couple arrived at the island camp with a larder of eggs, chicken and home baked dishes provided by members of the bride’s family here.

Contrary to the usual custom of the bride having an elaborate going-away costume, Mrs. White selected a ski-suit, heavy woolen socks, stadium boots, heavy woolen plaid shirts, a parka and fur lined gloves for her precedent breaking wedding trip.

Mrs. White, the former Miss Virginia Irene Dingman, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Dingman, Holland street, this village. She attended local


WATERTOWN: -- Early churches rather than schools are among the historic sites that the state department of education has located and designated by markers in Jefferson county. One of these is in Depauville on the Watertown-Clayton state highway, where it is seen by thousands of tourists motoring the Thousand Islands.

This church can lay no claims as a pioneer in the religious observance of early settlers. It is only slightly more than 100 years old, while the Adams religious society at Honeyville has been in continuous existence for more than a century and a half. There is this difference, however: The Depauville church still is the original, while the Honeyville building is several times removed from the first structure there.

Depauville, only community between Watertown and Clayton, stands at the head of navigation on Chaumont creek, once a water route for the Indians between French creek on the St. Lawrence river and Lake Ontario, thru Chaumont bay. An Indian trail also passed here, and this is recognized by another state marker, a few rods west from that designating the church, in the hollow where lies the business portion of the little village.

Depauville largely is in the river valley on lands owned in early years by Francis Depau, whose name it bears. Long before white men came to Northern New York an Indian village stood part way up the hill on the west shore of the stream, to the south of the state highway. Depauville being one of few communities hereabouts to be located beside an aboriginal occupation.

DePau provided for the future of his settlement, donating a parcel of land for church and school. In the accompanying picture the former school, also of stone, can be glimpsed at the extreme right, where it might be mistaken as a part of the church.

The state marker stands near the intersection of the most easterly of the village streets and the thruway, directly in front of the church building. One story high and several feet above the roadway, the church is reached by high steps. It parallels the state road, with its front toward the street. Built of limestone from the immediate vicinity, it is a substantial, well-kept edifice that shows no ravages from the elements in the 115 years that it has weathered them. Its story is briefed in the inscription on the marker:

“Church built 1834-1835. Francis DePau deeded the site for house of worship that shall forever at all times be open and free to the use of all denominations.”

The church society was formed in 1834, simultaneously with a Methodist society at Clayton, being organized on Nov. 25 of that year. The original trustees were Martin Spicer, Abel F. Howe, Caleb Classon, Wareham Chase and Timothy O’Connor.

Photo: OLD DE PAUVILLE CHURCH -- Provided for “all denominations” this De Pauville structure, 115 years old, stands on lands donated by DePaul.


Photo: Wed 51 Years -- Mr. and Mrs. Adam Danenwald of the Clayton-Watertown road celebrated their 51st wedding anniversary last Tuesday with a family party at their home.(September 20, 1949 newspaper)


Photo: LEAVES FOR COLLEGE -- William C. Dixon, 3rd., of Clayton, left Sunday for St. Lawrence university. At the end of three years at St. Lawrence he will be transferred to Massachusetts Institute of Technology for two years training. He concluded his freshman year at the Watertown Collegiate Center. Mr. Dixon is the son of Mr. and Mrs. William C. Dixon, jr., and a grandson of Mrs. Ira Cuppernall of Watertown and the late Capt. Ira Cuppernall.


Item: Mrs. Grace Loucks left Thursday with Mrs. Maude McMullin of Watertown for Lakeland, Fla. Mrs. McMullin is 78 years of age and drove her car. Mrs. Loucks will return in six weeks to Watertown where she will have an apartment for the winter months.


Photo: COUPLE WED -- The wedding party of Mr. and Mrs. Milford W. Haas, jr., of Chaumont, is shown above, left to right: David Fry, usher; Mrs. Harold Coleman, matron of honor, the bride and bridegroom; Harold Coleman, best man. Mrs. Haas is the former Miss Pauline Crouch of Fulton.



Miss Pauline Crouch, daughter of Renoc A. Crouch, Fulton, became the bride of Milford W. Haas, jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Milford W. Haas, sr., Chaumont, at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 29. A double ring ceremony was performed at the First Methodist church, Fulton, by Rev. Webster Melcher, pastor of the church.

The couple was attended by Mr. and Mrs. Harold Coleman, Watertown, cousins of the bridegroom. David R. Fry of Minetto, was the usher.

Given in marriage by her father, the bride wore a white satin floor length gown with a fitted bodice, sweetheart neckline and a train of silk chiffon over taffeta. Her finger tip veil was caught in a tiara of orange blossoms and she carried a shower bouquet of white roses. Mrs. Coleman, the matron of honor, wore a gown of pink silk organdie over taffeta with a ginger tip veil caught with a cluster of roses. She carried a bouquet of pink roses. Mrs. Haas, mother of the bridegroom, wore a sheer black and white gown with a corsage of yellow rosebuds.

The bride was graduated from Albany State Teachers College and has been teacher of mathematics at the Lyme Central school in Chaumont, for three and a half years.

Mr. Haas is a graduate of Central City Business school, Syracuse, and was discharged from service with the army Nov. 9 after serving three and a half years with the Fifth Air (?) in the Pacific area.

After a short wedding trip to Albany, the couple will reside at 763 James street, Syracuse. Mr. Haas will be employed by the clerical department of the Associated Laundry company.


Photo: Alexandria Bay Wedding Party -- Mr. and Mrs. Frank C. Dick are shown with their attendants at the wedding reception at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Senecal of Alexandria Bay. From left to right are Miss Ida Welch of Alexandria Bay, Mr. and Mrs. Dick and Pfc. James E. Thibault, U. S. M. C. Mrs. Dick is the former Miss Jean C. Senecal.


Daughter of Alexandria Bay Couple Is Wed to Frank C. Dick of Clayton.

Alexandria Bay, Jan. 31. -- Miss Jean C. Senecal, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Senecal of Alexandria Bay, became the bride of Frank C. Dick, son of Mr. and Mrs. Clay H. Dick of Clayton, in a ceremony performed Saturday afternoon at 3:30 in St. Cyril’s rectory by Rev. Armand Dussault.

The couple was attended by Miss Ida Welch of Alexandria Bay and James Thibault of Clayton. The bride wore a street length dress of baby blue with a white fur hat and white accessories. Her corsage was of red roses. Her attendant was dressed in aqua blue with navy blue accessories and wore a corsage of pink roses.

The mother of the bride wore a rosewood dress with brown accessories and a corsage of yellow mums. The mother of the bridegroom was attired in an aqua dress with black accessories and wore a corsage of yellow mums.

A buffet supper was served at the home of the bride on Cornwall street following the ceremony.

Guests were the bridal couple, their attendants, the parents of the bridegroom with his brothers, George and John Dick, Mr. and Mrs. Silas Kendall, Lester J. Corbin, Charles L. Solar, Rudolph Gushlaw, James Pacific, Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Pratt, Lee Estes, George Millett, Miss Donna

Senecal (remainder of clipping not legible).


POOLER-WAUGH -- In this city, Sept. 22, 1946, in Trinity Episcopal church, by Very Rev. Walter C. Middleton, rector, Roswell L. Pooler, 132 Winslow street, and Miss Shirley F. Waugh, 164 Winslow street.

LABEAU-MARRIAM -- In this city, Sept. 27, 1946, in St. Patrick’s church by Very Rev. John L. Plunkett, Charles S. LaBeau, 728 South Hamilton street, and Miss Betty Anne Marriam, 535 Olive street.

WARNER -- In the House of Good Samaritan, Sept. 21, 1946, Mr. and Mrs. Harold H. Warner, Chaumont, a daughter, Char Lynn, weighing eight pounds --?--- ounces.



Alton, Dec. 30. -- Gerald P. Lucey of Port Byron, N. Y., and Miss Mary L. Rogers of Alton, N. Y. were united in marriage Christmas Day at noon at the Alton Methodist Protestant church. The bridegroom is a son of the Rev. and Mrs. S. S. Lucey of Port Byron and the bride, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lee G. Rogers of Alton.

Mrs. Lucey, mother of the bridegroom, played the wedding march and the wedding ceremony was performed by Rev. S. S. Lucey, father of the bridegroom, and Rev. F. C. Rogers, uncle of the bride. They were attended by Arnelda Rogers, sister of the bride and Grant Waterman, close friend of the bridegroom.

A reception and dinner was given in the church parlors immediately following the ceremony, after which Mr. and Mrs. Lucey left for a short wedding trip.

Following the wedding trip they will establish reside on a farm at Columbia Center, near Ilion, N. Y.


Felts Mills, Dec. 30. -- Preliminary certificates indicating completion of the work of the first eight grades have been received at the school. Those who will receive them are: Helen G. Bullis, John F. Clearo, Donald J. Greene, Evelyn E. Lester, Mary E. Plopper, Albert W. Trainham, Nelson F. Waters, Eleanor P. Williams. --Mr. and Mrs. Carleton Denny and children of New York are spending the week with relatives. --Roland Palmer of Portland, Me. is visiting here during the holidays. --Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Corey have returned from their wedding trip and are the guests of Mrs. Corey’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Leon Briggs at Deferiet.


WHITTIER-BACHNER -- In this city, Sept. 29, 1946, at Concordia Evangelical Lutheran church by Rev. F. K. Vogt, Robert F. Whittier, 123 Gale street, and Miss Rose L. Bachner, 619 Hancock street.


Chaumont, Feb. 22. -- Mrs. Frank Haas observed her 75th birthday Thursday, Feb. 14. Because of poor health, celebrating was limited to a surprise supper, served by twin sons and their wives, Mr. and Mrs. Milton Haas and Mr. and Mrs. Milford Haas. Mrs. Haas received 50 congratulatory cards and letters.


BACH-HUGHES -- In this city, May 18, 1946, to John I. Bach, 635 M...?... street, coremaker, and Miss Thelma S. Hughes, 927 Gotham street, stenographer.

PICKETT-SWANSON -- In this city May 12 (?), 1946, to Franklin Pickett, 314 Tilden street, laborer, and Miss Jean Swanson, 314 T...?.....

PHILLIPS-WILDER -- In this city, May 12, 1946, in Faith Chapel, by Rev. Dr. Charles K. Imbrie

(?) Vernon Earl Phillips, 404 Ann street, and Miss Norma S. Wilder, 919 Arsenal street.


Miss Nellis Is Wed To Robert H. Holland
(with separate photos of Mr. and Mrs. Holland)

Miss Mary Margaret Nellis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Carl E. Nellis, 164 East Division street, and Robert Henry Holland, son of Mr. and Mrs. William H. Holland, 159 East Division street, were married Wednesday evening at 6:30 in the rectory of the Church of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart.

The marriage ceremony was performed by Rev. Cornelius Vulings. The couple was attended by Miss Marjorie E. Nellis, sister of the bride and Pfc. Salvatare Occhipinti, Union City, N. J. A reception was held at the home of the bride’s parents for 25 guests following the ceremony. The couple will reside at 804 State street.

The bride was attired in a wine colored velvet dress with black and white accessories and wore a corsage of yellow roses. Her attendant was dressed in a melon colored dress with white accessories and wore a corsage of roses.

Mrs. Holland attended the local schools and has been employed at Baker’s Barbecue restaurant.

Mr. Holland, recently discharged veteran of two years’ service in Europe, also attended the local schools. He returned to the United States on Oct. 22. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for action in Germany in November, 1944, and also a purple heart medal for wounds received Dec. 7, 1944, in Germany, while serving as a private first class in the army. Prior to entering the army he was employed at the Bagley and Sewall company and later by the G. L. F. in Watertown.



Former Clayton Resident Is Bride of Sgt. Louis Barbaro in White Plains.

Clayton, Feb. 18. -- Miss Gretchen Gabler, daughter of Mrs. Ida Reed, 739 James street, became the bride of Sgt. Louis Barbaro, son of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Barbaro of Harrison, in a double ring ceremony at 2 p.m. on Feb. 9 in the First Baptist church of White Plains. The couple was attended by Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Galgano of White Plains.

The bride was gowned in a white brocaded taffeta, fashioned with a tight fitting bodice with a sweetheart neckline and long sleeves coming to a point over the wrist and full skirt with a long train. She wore a fingertip veil, trimmed with orange blossoms around the crown and caught with orange blossoms near the bottom on either side. She wore a blue sapphire necklace and carried a bouquet of white gardenias and white sweet peas. Her attendant was attired in a pink taffeta gown and carried a bouquet of pink carnations and pale orchid sweet peas. A friend sang “Because” and “Ava Maria.”

A reception was held at the home of the bridegroom’s parents at Harrison, and after a brief wedding trip the couple is now residing at 70 Oakland avenue, Harrison. For traveling, the bride chose a dusty rose wool with a half hat and matching accessories.

The bride is a graduate of the Clayton High school with the class of 1935 and of the House of the Good Samaritan school of nursing in 1938. She was recently discharged from the army nurse corps with the rank of first lieutenant after three years service. She was stationed in Southern Wales and England for two years and returned to the United States Dec. 14 on the Queen Mary.

The bridegroom is now in rehabilitation service at Fort Dix, N. J. after two years and seven months at Halloran hospital in rehabilitation work. Before entering the army 37 months ago, he was connected with the Knowlwold Country Club in Westchester county as a golf professional and played in golf tournaments throughout the country.


Fulton, April 13. -- The State Street Methodist church in this village has the record of shepherding the largest Sunday school of any church in the Black River-Ontario district of the Methodist church, and with an equipment that cares for the many departments of the church school in an up to date manner. Rev. Albert Abbott is the pastor of the church, coming here from Watertown last May.

Rev. Mr. Abbott says, “There are two things connected with the State Street church school that, to me, seem exceptional. Of course the school itself is outstanding. We have a church membership of less than 550, and a church school with a total enrollment of almost 900. On Palm Sunday we expect to receive into the fellowship of the church, from the church school, some 58 of these youth.”


ROLFE-PARODY -- In this city, March 2, 1946, in the manse of Hope Presbyterian church by Rev. Merritt W. Updyke, George H. Rolfe, Ogdensburg, and Miss Alice O. Parody, 254 East Main street.

NELLIS -- At the House of the Good Samaritan, March 22, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. Carl E. Nellis, jr., 207 East Division street, a daughter, Barbara Colleen, weighing seven pounds, two ounces. Mrs. Nellis is the former Miss Colleen Wilson.

MISERCOLA-HUNTLEY -- In this city, March 4, 1946, to Henry J. Misercola, 125 Scio street, and Miss Betty J. Huntley, saleslady, 641 Emerson street.

EASTON -- At Mercy hospital, Jan. 31, 1934, Mrs. Rosella Mary Hoan Easton, Chaumont, aged 63 years. Funeral from the Howland funeral chapel at 9:30 Saturday morning and half an hour later from Holy Family church. Burial in Depauville cemetery.


(photo of Miss Jenks appeared above the write-up)
Potsdam, Jan. 12. -- Mr. and Mrs. Hallie S. Jenks, 8 .....?..... street, announce the engagement of their daughter, Miss Charlotte P. Jenks, to Pfc. George Phister, 736 Coffeen street, Watertown.

Miss Jenks attended local schools and following her graduation, was employed by the Aluminum Company of America at Massena for two years.

Private First Class Pfister attended schools in Watertown and was employed by the New York Air Brake company prior to induction in the army in 1943. He was transferred overseas in March, 1945, and returned to this country in September. At present he is stationed at New Orleans army air base in Louisiana.


YATES-EARLE (remainder of this item not legible)

SCHWALM -- In Mercy hospital ...?.... 18, 1946, Mr. and Mrs. ...?....? Schwalm, Bradley street, a daughter, weighing seven pounds six and one-half ounces.

WHALEN-CATHCART -- New York, March 22, 1946, by chaplain, Flight Officer ....?......Whalen, 612 Lansing street, city, and Miss Betty Jean Cathcart ...?... State street (most of this was illegible)



Note: This article is not legible on the righthand side of the clipping, but appears to involve a Watertown soldier, Staff Sgt. Neal A. Bintz, who served in the China-Burma-India arenas of World War II for 25 months. According to the first paragraph, Sgt. Bintz had received an honorable discharge and had arrived in Watertown. The article appears to be an account of his vast tour of duty in the Orient.


ITEM: Mrs. Anne Wardwell entertained at her home Thursday evening in honor of Lieut. and Mrs. John Maupin. Mrs. Maupin is the former Miss Eunice Wardwell. (5-9-46)


ARMSTRONG -- In the Mercy hospital March 1, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Armstrong, 800 Morrison street, a son.

BACHNER -- In the House of the Good Samaritan, Feb. 28, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. Martin R. Bachner, 847 Superior street, a son, Robert George, weighing eight pounds and eight ounces. Mrs. Bachner is the former Miss Dorothy Guyette.


ITEM: Richard E. Tontarski, of Union College, Schenectady, son of Mr. and Mrs. Philip F. Tontarski, 679 Grant street, will represent his fraternity chapter at Syracuse university this weekend while attending an exchange dinner given by the Syracuse chapter of Phi Gamma Delta. (3-15-46)


Marriage License
-- In this city, Feb. 13, 1946, to John W. Kerr, Star Lake, insurance man, and Mrs. Dorothy S. Colon, 219 West Lynde street, saleslady.



Donald Eberly Is Editor-in-Chief of the Annual at Senior High School

Donald Eberly, 16, son of Mrs. Paul F. Eberly, 150 Davidson street, and the late Rev. Paul F. Eberly, has been named editor-in-chief of The Annual, Watertown High school yearbook, it was announced today by William E. Hewitt, principal of the school. Appointment of the editor-in-chief was made known today in a list of appointments made by Miss Caroline Durkan, English teacher at the school and sponsor of the yearbook.

Miss Jean Mitchell, 16, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Paul P. Mitchell, 226 Thompson boulevard, has been named associate editor.

Those on the literary board include: Sally Morrison, literary editor; Alice Smith, Doreen Strobert, Jean Simmons, Betsy Wycott, Helen Vincent, Joyce Hiscock, Jane Robinson, Ita Tavan, Mary Iannotti, Catherine Middleton, Rita Boutilier, and Jean Eveleigh.

Business board: John Stevens, business manager; Arlene Duff, Sally Olin, Dick Traynor, Wilma Gregory, Charlotte Gaffney and Betty LaRose.

Ray Dorr is advertising manager, while his assistant is Ross Carpenter. Members of the advertising board are: Robert Seelye, Norman MacKenzie, Betty McRobbie, Carol Morehouse, Shirley Pfister, John Calhoun, Oliver Wisner, Marianne Hirst, Phyllis Failing, Stephen Ingelhart, Audry Fleury and Jeannine Aiken.

Charles Olig is art editor, while his assistant is Norman Eastman. William Reynolds is athletic editor and Frances Exley is assistant athletic editor.

Shirley Guzewick is typing editor and her board will consist of Clara Denno, Shirley Ames, Joyce Dallaportas, Shirley Gebo, Marion Lewis and Angeline Leccarde. Caroline Sager has been appointed treasurer of the school yearbook.

Return to Jefferson County Tidbits

Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page