Depauville, Jefferson County, N. Y.
Births . Weddings . Anniversaries .
Graduations . Deaths .
Miscellaneous Community Happenings .
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8
Photos: Miss Norma Shirley Wilder and also Pfc. Vernon Earl Phillips TO WED -- The engagement of Miss Norma Shirley Wilder, 919 Arsenal street and Pfc. Vernon Earl Phillips, 404 Arsenal street, was announced Saturday. (1-29-46)
MISS ELEANOR L. O'DRISCOLL TO WED ARMY RESIDENT (1-16-46)(with photo)
Mr. and Mrs. W. J. O’Driscoll, 259 Stuart street, announce the engagement of their daughter, Miss Eleanor L. O’Driscoll, to George A. Mitchell, jr., son of George A. Mitchell, sr., Albany.
Miss O’Driscoll, was graduated from the Watertown High school in January, 1943, and from the Watertown School of Commerce in August, 1943. For the past two and one half years, she has been employed by the Smith & Bryant Insurance company.
Mr. Mitchell was graduated from the Roesseleville High school in Albany in 1940. He was recently discharged from the U. S. navy after serving four years, three of which were overseas service. He is now employed by the Williams Press in Albany.
ITEM: The following clipping was missing the first line of its caption. The date was pencilled in as “Feb 6 - 1934.” The remainder of the heading appeared thusly:
Present Century of Jan. 17, 1904, Beaten
NORTH SHIVERS AT 28-60 BELOW
WHILE CITY HAS A NEW LOW, 39
FORTY-FIVE TELEPHONE CIRCUITS OUT OF ORDER
CALLS ROUTED LONG DISTANCES
RANGER SCHOOL LOWEST, 60
Temperature at Potsdam Is 38 Below; Colton and Parishville,
South Colton, 46; Ogdensburg, 38; Tupper Lake, 44
Mercury StaysFar Below Zero During Day.
The temperatures shown are "Below Zero" figures.
|Ranger School near Wanakena||60|
MISS SHIRLEY F. PICKETT BRIDE (1-29-46)
Shirley Fee Pickett, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Pickett, 314 Tilden street, and Frederick Clifford Kaphingst, son of Mr. and Mrs. George F. Kaphingst, Richmond, Calif., were married Sunday afternoon at 2. The marriage ceremony was performed by Rev. George A. Workman. A reception was held at the home of the bride’s parents and the couple left on a wedding trip to Syracuse. They will reside at 1507 Sequoia avenue, Richmond, Calif.
The bride was attired in a satin and net bridal gown, fashioned with satin bodice, sweetheart neckline and bouffant skirt of net. Her fingertip veil fell from a Dutch cap. She carried a bouquet of white gardenias.
Mrs. Harold A. Goodrow was her sister’s matron of honor. She was attired in a floor length dress of turquoise blue with a headdress and shoulder length veil of the same color. She carried a bouquet of pink roses.
Franklin L. Pickett, brother of the bride, served as best man with Charles E. Dyer and Harold A. Goodrow as ushers.
Mrs. Kaphingst graduated from the Watertown High school, class of 1942. She was formerly employed at Pine Camp. The bridegroom was graduated from the Richmond, Calif., Union High school and was recently discharged from the United States army after serving in the European Theater of Operations. He was formerly stationed at Pine Camp.
Out of town guests at the wedding came from Utica, Whitesboro and New Jersey.
Part of Headline missing for the following article:.
MRS. LUCY PARK WRITES
Lived in Rodman at One Time---Says Many Boys Deformed But Brave
--Directs Education For 90 Boys.
Mrs. Lucy Parker, in charge of the Methodist boys’ primary school, Godhr...?...., .....?....., India, and a former resident of Rodman, has written interestingly to her sister-in-law, Mrs. Edith Shaw, 825 LeRay street concerning the work she is doing in her school and life in India.
Mrs. Parker’s school gives instruction to 90 young boys and is a part of the Methodist Episcopal mission work in India. Mrs. Parker went to India first in 1908 with her husband, Rev. Arthur Parker, a minister for several years in Rodman. In 1910 Rev. Mr. Parker died of typhoid fever, but Mrs. Parker continued the work.
In about 1915 she returned to this country, and worked for some time raising funds for the continuance of the school. She returned to India about ten years ago to head the school. She has not returned here since but writes frequently to relatives and friends in this locality.
Mrs. Parker describes some of the boys in her school in the letter pointing out that some of them are being assisted by residents of this section.
“New boys are always interesting,” she writes, “as are the new members of any family. There are 26 of them this year. Eleven are sons of parents who for the sake of Gospel go to live in places where their boys have little or no chance for schooling. Mostly the parents of the other 15 are those who get a poor living from a few acres of land, from hand weaving and from day labor. Three among the number are here from the distant peninsula of Kathiawar with their homes two or three hundred miles away.”
Mrs. Parker states in her letter that the boys are all healthy and happy for the most part in their new surroundings. Some of the students are suffering from paralysis or from deformities, but Mrs. Parker says that they “tackle the proposition bravely,” and many of them have gained much in health since their coming to the school.
She speaks of the dangers which are encountered in India and mentions the death of a young boy when a poisonous snake crawled into the dormitory and bit him in his sleep. She also mentioned the rainy season and the dry season, stating that the weather is sunny for eight or nine months during the year.
The boys in the school enjoy the rainy season, she points out, claiming that they like to play in the warm rain but that this often brings colds and malaria and care must be taken.
HONORED BY BAPTISTS
(preceded by a photo of Mrs. Eugene H. Bunce.)
MRS. BUNCE MOST USEFUL WOMAN
Mrs. Eugene H. Bunce, superintendent of the Children’s Home of Jefferson county, was selected as the most useful woman to the city life of Watertown by the congregation of the First Baptist church by a ballot a week ago Sunday evening. Announcement of the vote made Sunday evening by Rev. Fred Robert Tiffany at the church.
Mrs. Bunce was present at the evening service in the Baptist church and was called to the platform by Rev. Mr. Tiffany. The congregation which filled the edifice arose in respect to Mrs. Bunce who then thanked the people for the vote, saying that she felt it should have gone to others who were doing larger work than herself.
She spoke extemporaneously from the subject of service, illustrating her talk with bits of well selected poetry. Mrs. Bunce closed with the lines, “with the lives of great men all around us, we should make our lives sublime, and departing, leave behind us, footprints on the sands of time.”
Mrs. Bunce has held the position of superintendent of the Children’s Home of Jefferson county for several years. About 100 children are cared for at the home which is recognized as among the most modern institutions in the state of New York.
Other leading women of the city who received large numbers of votes were: Mrs. Katherine Perine, Miss Nellie S. Spencer, and Miss Mabel Hibbard, superintendent of the House of the Good Samaritan.
ITEM: Julia A. Wood, Clayton, to Flora C. and Nettie (sic) M. Lee, same place, parcel, Depauville.
EASTON -- At Mercy hospital, Jan. 31, 1934, Mrs. Rosella Mary Hoan, Easton, Chaumont, aged 63 years. Funeral from the Howland funeral chapel at 9:30 Saturday morning and half an hour later from Holy Family church. Burial in the Depauville cemetery.
WINSLOW -- At Depauville, Jan. 16, 1912, Mrs. Mary Ann Winslow (incomplete)
HUTCHINSON -- At the House of the Good Samaritan, March 25, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. Claude Hutchinson of Lafargeville, a son, Daniel Charles, weighing eight pounds, five ounces. Mrs. Hutchinson is the former Miss Lucy Bates of Depauville.
ITEM: Raymond Foley, seaman second class, son of Mrs. Beatrice Foley, 1303 State street, is spending a twelve-day leave at his home in this city. Seaman Foley recently completed basic training at Bainbridge, Md. Prior to entering service in January, he was employed by the Watertown Daily Times.
ITEM: Donald Wyeth, USN, entered the service in 1934 and was discharged on December 10, 1945. During his Navy career, he was stationed at Clark Field in Luzon as an Aeriel Gunner. He was awarded the D. E. C.
ITEM: Frannkie Puglese is back with us after having worked in Department 2 for some time. We’re glad to have you back, Frankie.
MISS ETHEL E. ARMSTRONG BRIDE OF M. D. STERNBERG (1929)
Chaumont, Oct. 28 -- Miss Ethel E. Armstrong daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Armstrong of Stone street, became the bride of Marcus D. Sterling(sic) at 10:30 Saturday morning, Oct. 26, at the Methodist Episcopal parsonage here. Rev. Alexander Scott performed the ceremony. They were attended by Miss Agnes Kluge and Fred J. Armstrong, both of Syracuse.
The bride was becomingly attired in Venetian blue transparent velvet with hat to match. Miss Kluge wore brown chiffon.
Miss Armstrong is a native of Chaumont and Mr. Sternberg a member of the firm of Sternberg Brothers of Depauville.
Mr. and Mrs. Sternberg left by auto for a trip to Montreal, returning by the way of Plattsburgh and the Adirondacks. They will be at home in Depauville after Nov. 5. at 10:30 Saturday morning, Oct. 26, at the Methodist Episcopal parsonage here. Rev. Alexander Scott performed the ceremony. They were attended by Miss Agnes Kluge and Fred J. Armstrong, both of Syracuse.
Miss Armstrong is a native of Chaumont and Mr. Sternberg a member of the firm of Sternberg Brothers of Depauville.
Mr. and Mrs. Sternberg left by auto for a trip to Montreal, returning by the way of Plattsburgh and the Adirondacks. They will be at home in Depauville after Nov. 5.
TWO STUDENTS OF CLARKSON DROWN
Seaching Party Scouring St. Lawrence River Below Morristown For Bodies.
H. T. STOEL, 17, CLAYTON, AND VERNON LAWRENCE, 20
CANTON Youth’s Went To The New Lawrence Camp Saturday For The Week-End
AIRPLANE AIDS IN SEARCH
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas B. Stoel, Clayton, and Mr. and Mrs. Russell Lawrence,
Canton, the Parents.
Started Search Monday Afternoon
---Dog, Nearly Frozen, on Virgil at Lawrence Camp
(Special to The Times.)
Morristown, Nov. 19. -- An overturned canoe and broken paddle found washed ashore near here Monday have led a searching party today to the belief that two members of the freshman class of Clarkson college, both from northern New York, have been drowned in the St. Lawrence river, two and one-half miles below here.
The two youths:
Horance Truman Stoel, 17, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas B. Stoel of 22 James street, Clayton.
Vernon Lawrence, 20, son of Mr. and Mrs. Russell B. Lawrence, 21 Park street, Canton.
Today an airplane, piloted by Dwight P. Church, Canton, photographer-aviator, flew low over the river for several miles in both directions from the place where the boys had planned to camp. Charles Smith, ex-navy observer, accompanied Church. Dragging operations along the river, begun yesterday afternoon, were resumed this morning but without success.
Left for Camp Saturday
It is understood that the boys left Potsdam Saturday, planning to visit the Lawrence camp near Morristown. The boys have not been seen since Saturday when they were reported to have been in this village. They came here (incomplete)
The hunt for the two youths began when Lawrence failed to return to his home in Canton. He commuted from Canton to classes at Clarkson college in Potsdam every day. His parents notified Clarkson authorities on Monday morning and were told that neither of the two boys was attending classes.
Overturned Canoe Found.
Russell Lawrence immediately called Dean Klock, a nephew in Ogdensburg. Klock went to the river camp and a short distance upstream from the place found a canoe and broken paddle. At the camp Lawrence’s black spaniel dog was also found, shivering and half frozen.
Mr. Lawrence came to the camp and discovered his son’s car standing near the camp which is located about two and a half miles below this village. Investigation showed that a canoe was missing from the Lawrence premises. A canoe of the same description was found bobbing upside down near the shore a half mile away at 11 a.m. Sunday by three Morristown girls, Amy Belle Fortune, 15; Mary Barber, 15, and Jean Barber, 13. Knowing that week-end campers were in the vicinity they paid no attention to it.
When Mr. Lawrence sensed that something was wrong, he telephoned to Mr. Stoel in Clayton, father of the other boy. Mr. Stoel left that village about noon Monday to aid in the search for the two missing youths.
The search was launched late Monday afternoon under the direction of Corporal Bernard G. Watkins, and State Trooper T. H. Baker, of the patrol here. With the use of searchlights the party patrolled the river in the vicinity of the camp without any results Monday night. Darkness came on and the search was given up until today when dragging operations were instituted. It was believed that the boys may not (sic) have been lost in the main current.
The river near the camp is approximately a mile and a half wide. It quite often gets choppy and rough, residents here say. While the weather Sunday was cold, it was not particularly windy.
Dog, Nearly Frozen, Found.
No evidence that the youths had built a fire in the camp led searchers to believe that they must have gone out in the canoe some time late Saturday afternoon. This theory is also supported by the fact that Vernon Lawrence’s dog, Cap, would not have been found near the camp if he could have stayed with the two boys or located them. The dog showed signs of suffering from cold and lack of food. He ate more than usual and indicated he was extremely hungry by eating bread and other things which he usually refused.
Mr. Lawrence said today that the two boys had eaten dinner Saturday at his home in Canton and then left. He said that they expected to make some repairs to a motor boat at the camp. Mr. Lawrence said that he learned that the two boys had visited a garage here late Saturday afternoon and borrowed tools.
Boats were secured from Phil (incomplete). ......... the searchers....... John J. Finn, immigration inspector and Theodore LaFlair and Ralph Mitchell of Ogdensburg.
The canoe which the boys are believed to have used was badly battered and contained a large pole (sic). A paddle which was found 150 feet away was split.
May Have Hit Log.
There were evidences that the canoe and paddle had been subject to strenuous use. The cane was alter brought to the garage of Carl Hudson. One theory which was advanced is that the boys had gone out in the canoe, and probably may have remained out after dusk. A huge log is embedded in the river a short distance from the camp and it is thought that the youths may have driven the canoe hard into this object and the boat overturned. Both were said to have been expert swimmers. At the point where they are believed to have gone down the water is more than 30 feet in depth. There is little current at this point.
Mr. Lawrence in a telephone conversation from Canton this morning said that he believed the boys had lost their lives in the river. Corporal Watkins and Trooper Baker resumed dragging for the bodies this morning at 8:15. The searching party suffered from cold last night and all were numbed when they finally returned to the shore and gave up the hunt until daylight.
Native of Canton.
Vernon Lawrence was born in Canton on Aug. 12, 1915, a son of Russell B. and Hazel Gilmour Lawrence. He is a graduate of the Canton High School. He formerly attended the Merchant Marine academy and enrolled this fall at Clarkson. He also attended St. Lawrence university. His father is a village trustee at Canton and a funeral director. Besides his parents he leaves a sister, Miss Ruth Lawrence, Canton, and one brother, Russell B. Lawrence, jr., Canton.
Horace Truman Stoel was born at Clayton, Nov. 27, 1917. He was graduated from Clayton High school June 1934 and took a post-graduate course there for a year. At Clarkson he was a member of the Dramatechers and on the staff of The Integrator, weekly paper. He is survived by his parents, two sisters of State College for Teachers, Albany and two brother, Thomas, doing post-graduate work at Duke university and Robert, jr., in Clayton High school.
His father is district school superintendent of the third Jefferson county district, and was formerly principal of the Sackets Harbor High school.
Mrs. Stoel is widely known throughout northern New York in the Northern Federation of Women’s clubs. She is former chairman of the third district and at the present time is chairman of the department of legislation. Mrs. Stoel holds the precedence of the Women’s Civic club of Clayton, Inc. She is the former Miss Mabel Lepper,, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Olin Lepper, Sackets Harbor.
I guess there’s no chance now, remarked Russell Lawrence, this morning.
“State troopers are doing everything they can to locate the boys,” (incomplete).........they searched all along the river bank and with boats, and last night they used searchlights on the water.”
Mr. Lawrence related briefly finding his black spaniel, Cap, sitting on the river bank when he, himself, went to the cottage about noon yesterday to investigate the disappearance of his son, who had not been seen since Saturday. The dog had been maintaining his vigil there since the youths set out in a canoe.
“Rivermen tell me that there was a rough sea Saturday rolling from the northeast with swells which were heavy and long and very deceptive. Both boys were good swimmers, and Vernon was experience in handling a canoe.”
The canoe was kept in the Lawrence camp and the Lawrence motor boat in a boathouse in Morristown bay near the bridge. The two youths first went to Morristown to work on the boat and later motored to the camp, two miles distant, got out the canoe and paddled off. As the river was roughened they could not have gone very far before encountering trouble which ended in the craft being capsized. The boys left their car at the camp with the Lawrence dog locked inside.
The fathers of the two boys, Thomas B. Stoel and Russell B. Lawrence, were at the scene all day yesterday. They went home last night and returned to the camp today to assist in the search.
Vernon Lawrence was a nephew of Mrs. Dean Klock of this city. Mrs. Klock is a sister of the missing youth’s father. She was formerly Miss Mary Lawrence and taught at the O. F. A. a number of years ago.
Miss Nina O. Comins (with photo)
MISS NINA O. COMINS HEAD OF 4-H CLUB ALUMNI GROUP
Miss Nina O. Comins, St. Lawrence Corners, was elected president of the Jefferson County 4-H club alumni group at its annual session Wednesday evening at 8 in the recreation center, North Hamilton street. She succeeds Raymond A. Sawyer, city, who presided.
Other officers named at the meeting attended by 70 persons were: Glenn Feistel, Champion, who is president of the New York state 4H club council, vice president; and Miss Mary Schneider, Stone Mills, secretary.
Following the election of officers various games were played by the group. The entertainment program was directed by Miss Evelyn Parks, Miss Rena Nichols, Burrville road, and Miss Mabel Martin, Rutland, who directed games while accompanying at the piano.
Depauville, Dec. 20. Christmas exercises and a tree will be held in Methodist Episcopal church next Friday night. The Sunday school and pupils of Depauville public school will unit in presenting the program. --Mrs. C. A. Robinson, wife of Rev. C. A. Robinson recently returned from the House of the Good Samaritan, Watertown where she underwent a serious operation. She is much improved in health. The funeral of Clinton Fry was held from his home Friday at 2 p.m. The active bearers were Clifford Easton, Will Valley, Fred Sternberg, Myron Dwyer, Carl Haas and Horace Jones. Rev. C. A. Robinson officiated. Interment was made beside his daughter, Iva M. Fry, in the family plot in Depauville cemetery. --The D. Y. B. class served a turkey dinner at the home of Mrs. Nettie Gillette last Wednesday. Twenty-one attended and $9.85 (? - blurred) was taken in making $50 for the church budget and $5 for the pastor, Rev. C. A. Robinson. Mrs. Carl Haas and Mrs. George Wagner each furnished a turkey. --The Golden Key class served its turkey dinner and Christmas sale in the grange hall Thursday night. About 100 attended and $20 was taken in. Mable Campbell and Nellie Vogt each furnished a turkey.
PHOTO: (with photo) RECEIVES DISCHARGE -- Staff Sgt. Neal A. Bintz, 22, U. s. army medical corps, who has been stationed in the China-Burma-India theater of war for the past 23 months, has returned to this city after receiving an honorable discharge at Fort Dix, N. Y. The Watertown soldier is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Roy H. Bintz, City Hall apartments.
CAR TIPS OVER, LATER BURNS UP IN ONE NIGHT
Charles Ellingsworth Escapes With Minor Injuries, But Loses Auto.
Lafargeville, July 9. Charles Ellingworth had a very exciting time one evening this week, following a severe thunder shower. He was driving a truck home in the evening, and a car attempted to pass him. He pulled out to let it go past and in getting back on the highway his car slipped in the mud and turned over, blowing out a tire.
A neighbor happened along and he went for the wrecking truck at the garage. When Mr. Ellingsworth got repairs enough made to let him go home, he started out again and before he had gone many miles his car suddenly caught fire and completely burned up. Mr. Ellingsworth was uninjured but he was rather lame and bruise.
LABRECK-FLANSBURG -- In Trinity chapel, March 2, 1946, by Rev. Walter C. Middleton, Donald J. LaBreck, 375 Arlington street and Miss Mary Jane Flansburg, 413 Tilden street.
Ten Outstanding North Country
News Stories of the Past Year
Northern New York’s ten best news stories of the year, the ten considered to have occupied the greatest general interest throughout this section, were:
1. The crash of an F. H. Taylor Airways, Inc., plan which carried Archie V. Laverty and three companions to sudden death late Sunday afternoon, June 9.
2. The tornado which swept down upon the Earl Drake Farm, near Philadelphia, the afternoon of July 19, leveling $10,000 worth of property and claiming two lives.
3. The Chaumont-Stone Mills-Depauville flood of July 7 which caused thousands of dollars in damage to roads, bridges and farm crops and for a time threatened several families in the village of Chaumont.
4. The First United States army military maneuvers which brought nearly 40,000 regular army men and national guard members to Pine Plains the last two weeks in August.
5. The defeats of Mayor John B. Harris of this city and Mary Ralph J. Morissette of Ogdensburg at the polls election day.
6. The earthquake which rocked homes throughout the north country early the morning of Nov. 1, causing the death of a local woman from fright which brought on a heart attack.
7. The report of District Attorney Andrew J. Hammer (?), St. Lawrence county, on his investigation of the affairs of the city of Ogdensburg under Mayor Morissette. The report was published Oct. 12.
8. The visit of President Franklin D. Roosevelt to Lake Placid Sept. 14 during the Golden Jubilee of Conservation celebration.
9. The trial and subsequent acquittal of Arthur (Dutch Schultz) Flegenheimer at Malone, just prior to the gang killing New York which cost him his life.
10. The ice jam in the St. Lawrence river Jan. 7 and 8 which threatened to wipe out the Indian village of Hogansburg on the St. Regis reservation.
Photo: PLAN BANQUET Members of the Girl Scout banquet committee are shown above in the Jefferson County Girl Scout council offices as they discussed plans for the annual banquet of the council to be held Jan. 7. They are shown conferring with the council commissioner and the executive secretary. Standing is Mrs. Wallace W. Manning, the commissioner. Seated, left to right, Mrs. Bennie Mecklin, Miss Elizabeth Brown, executive secretary, and Mrs. Karl L. Clinton.
R. L. CARR WILL HEAD RECREATION
Robert L. Carr, 237 Stuart street, discharged from the United States navy after nearly two years service, will resume his post as superintendent of municipal recreation on Feb. 15 replacing Miss Doreen O. Kirkland, City Manager C. Leland Wood announced today.
Mr. Carr was appointed recreation department director on June 1, 1943, and he served in that capacity until entering the navy on April 1, 1944. Miss Kirkland was named recreation superintendent on a temporary appointment in May, 1944.
City Manager Wood said Mr. Carr would return to his work at a salary of $2,750 per year. Miss Kirkland’s salary was $2,500 a year.
With the return of Mr. Carr, there is a possibility that Miss Kirkland will be retained as assistant recreation department superintendent but on a reduced annual salary. The matter is expected to come up for discussion tonight when the city council convenes at the city hall.
STUDENTS WED IN N. Y. JULY 18
(Special to The Times.)
Depauville, Jan. 10. -- Mr. and Mrs. V. R. Campbell, Depauville, announce the marriage of their daughter, Miss Mary D. Campbell, to J. W. Westcott, jr., Freeport, L. I., on July 18, 1935, in New York.
Mrs. Westcott is a graduate of Clayton High school and for the past one and one half years has been a student in Potsdam Normal. She is a native of Depauville.
Mr. Westcott, the son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Walter Westcott, Freeport, L. I., is a sophomore in Ithaca college, where he is specializing in music.
The couple became acquainted at Potsdam where Mr. Westcott was a student in the Crane school of music for a year before transferring to Ithaca. Both will continue their education.
CORBIN -- At Clayton, April 7, 1946, Ernest W. Corbin, aged 70 years. Funeral Wednesday at 1:30 p.m., at the home on Riverside drive, Clayton, and at 2 from the Clayton Baptist church, with Rev. Thomas J. Williams, pastor of the Clayton Methodist church, officiating.
Photo - MARRIED -- Mr. and Mrs. H. Michael Strauss are shown leaving the First Baptist church following their marriage Sunday morning at 9. Mrs. Strauss is the former Miss Bernice E. Curry, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. Earl Curry, 705 Mill street. Mr. Strauss is the son of William Strauss of 630 Emerson street.
LT. LINGENFELTER OUT OF SERVICE (1-22-46)
With photo - Francis C. Lingenfelter
First Lieut. Francis C. Lingenfelter, 29, who has served 30 months in the Pacific area with the coast artillery corps in the anti-aircraft artillery, is now on terminal leave and is with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James H. Lingenfelter, 110 West Park drive. He reverts to inactive status in the officers’ reserve corps on April 9.
Lieutenant Lingenfelter was employed in the office of the Brownville Paper company when he enlisted Aug. 17, 1942. He received basic training at Fort Eustis, Va., and completed officer candidate school with the commission of a second lieutenant Feb. 4, 1943. He left for the Pacific April 18, 1943, and served in the three campaigns of northern Solomons, and Bismarck Archipelago and southern Philippines. He was promoted to first lieutenant April 3, 1944. He arrived in the United States Dec. 20, and is now on terminal leave.
His wife served with the intelligence division at Washing, D. C., as a member of the Waves during the war and has recently received her honorable discharge from service.
Item: Connie Sparacino, 154 Thompson boulevard, told police that her wallet, containing $15 in bills, was stolen from her desk at the high school Thursday.
Item: Mr. Edward Mulcahy became a grandfather the other day, but it must have been quite an ordeal as Ed has been off sick ever since. Hope to see you soon, Ed.
BATES--On the Cape Vincent, Clayton highway, June 3, 1946, Samuel F. Bates, 361 South Rutland street, aged 71 years. Funeral services probably Friday afternoon at 2:30 at the Seventh Day Baptist church, Adams Center. Burial in Union cemetery, Adams Center.
Item - We have another returned veteran among us. It’s Fred Martin of the Cost Department. Fred served with our U. S. Army for about four years and it seems good seeing him back with us once again.
Photo: TAKE PART IN WMSA DEDICATION -- Officials of the Brockway company and radio stations WWNY and WMSA, who took part in the dedication program for the new Massena station, owned by the Watertown Daily Times, are pictured above. They are from left to right: Thomas E. Martin, manager of station WWNY, Watertown;...........(copy truncated)....... Times radio activities; Harold B. Johnson; Watertown, editor and publisher of the Watertown Daily Times; Lieut. John B. Johnson, secretary of the Brockway company; James M. Higgins, Massena, assistant manager of WMSA, and Thomas R. McHugh, Massena, manager of WMSA.
MR. AND MRS. ALBERT SHAW (5-9-46)
OBSERVE 47TH ANNIVERSARY
Mr. and Mrs. Albert Shaw, Watertown-Clayton road, celebrated their 47th wedding anniversary last Saturday and were guests of honor at a party given by their daughter, Miss Arsula Shaw, at their home that evening. Games were played and music was provided by their children, Roy and Ronald Shaw and Mrs. Jay Wrape.
Supper was served at midnight, the feature of the occasion being a decorated cake made by their daughter, Mrs. Clark Dano, Clayton. The couple has eight children living. A daughter, Ethel, died in infancy. Their children are Mrs. Dano, Roland W. Shaw, Evans Mills; Mrs. Claude Brown, city; Roy E. Shaw, Black River; Mrs. Curtis Ingerson, Clayton; Mrs. William Conant, Evans Mills; Mrs. Jay Wrape, Depauville, and Miss Arsula Shaw, at home.
Mrs. Shaw, the former Miss Etta Joles, is the daughter of Albert Joles, Clayton, and the late Emma Joles. Mr. Shaw is the son of the late Emery and Lydia Shaw of Plessis. The couple was married March 2, 1899, at the Plessis parsonage by Rev. Mr. White. Mr. Shaw has been a farmer nearly all his life, but for the past two years, has operated a restaurant on the Watertown-Clayton road, called “Camp Woodland.”
ROLFE-PARODY -- In this city, Feb. 27, 1946, to George Herbert Rolfe, 312 Hashcouck street, Ogdensburg, discharged soldier, and Miss Alice Orpha Parody, 254 East Main street, laundress.
FIELDS-ARNDT -- In this city, March 1, 1946, by Rev. Lisle R. Caldwell, pastor of Bethany Methodist church, Roy E. Fields, jr., 351 Pawling street, and Mrs. Lois M. Arndt, 829 Cowner (?) street.
FUHRMAN - In the House of the Good Samaritan, April 3, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. Karl F. Fuhrman, Watertown, R. D. 1, a son, Franklin Michael, weighing six pounds, five ounces.
DELANEY-BRANDON -- In Brooklyn, April 5, 1946, George V. Delaney and Mrs. Helen Natali Brandon, both of Clayton.
GRIECO DENIES GUILT IN CASE
Robert Grieco, Philadelphia, Pa., wanted here under a January sealed indictment charging him with the misdemeanor of having violated Section 75 of the personal property law and 940 of the penal law for the alleged sale of household furnishings which he had bought on conditional sales contract from Morrison’s Furniture company and the American Furniture company, entered a not guilty plea before County Judge Crandall F. Phillips at chambers on Monday, was admitted to $500 bail and held for trial. District Attorney Milton A. Wiltse appeared against him and the court assigned Attorney Hiram S. Arthur to defend him.
Grieco, against whom the January grand jury handed up a ten-count sealed indictment which accuses him of illegally selling about $100 worth of household furnishings to which he did not have title, was arrested in Philadelphia but successfully fought extradition.
He later came to this city on a visit, was recognized on the street and arrested by Police Detective John L. Touchette.
The case against Grieco, a former resident of this city, is a novel one in that it is one of the first indictments handed up in the county involving a misdemeanor instead of a felony and is made possible under a recently enacted provision of the law.
It is alleged that while residing in this city last year Grieco purchased a stove and other household furnishings on Aug. 28 and then, without having paid for them and not having title to them, sold them on Sept. 15, Oct. 10, Oct. 13 and Nov. 8.
MISS ELEANOR GILLETTE AND JAMES F. LYNCH ARE WED
Depauville, Feb. 14. -- Miss Eleanor Gillette, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Perl Gillette, and James F. Lynch, son of John F. and Mrs. Mary A. Lynch of New York, were married Monday morning at 11 at the home of the bride, the immediate family and a few friends being present.
Rev. Robert E. Wright, pastor of the Methodist church, performed the double ring ceremony.
Miss Mary E. Gillette of Croton-on-Hudson, sister of the bride, and Richard Gillette, brother of the bride, attended the couple.
The bride was attired in a navy blue crepe with white accessories and wore a corsage of orchids. Her attendant was dressed in aqua crepe and wore a corsage of gardenias.
Mrs. Lynch is a graduate of Clayton Central school and has been employed in the telephone exchange at Pine Camp.
Mr. Lynch is a graduate of the Stevens Technical institute and is employed by the telephone company.
Following the serving of refreshments, the couple left for New York, where they will reside at 657 Crotona Park North.
MEXDORF -- At the Mercy hospital, Feb. 2, 1928, to Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Mexdorf of Depauville, twin daughters.
(from the Letters to the People column)
Formula For Glue.
I believe that many of your readers would be interested in having some practical information printed in the “Letters from the People.” I am enclosing a formula for a liquid glue, which may be of much value to those using large quantities of it. M. W. Simmons, Sackets Harbor, Jan. 18, 1937.
Formula for liquid glue: Glue, 3 ozs; gelatin, 3 ozs.; acetic acid, 4 ozs.; water, 2 ozs.; alum, 30 grains. Heat this mixture for six hours, skim and add: Alcohol, one fluid oz.; brown glue No. 2, two pounds; sodium carbonate, eleven ozs.; water, 3-1/2 pints; oil of clove, 160 minims.
Dissolve the soda in the water, pour the solution over the dry glue, let stand over night, or till thoroughly soaked and swelled, then heat carefully on a water bath until dissolved. When nearly cold stir in the oil of cloves. By using white glue, a finer article, fit for fancy work may be made.
BRANCH ENDS 84 YEAR’S SERVICE
Line From Rome to Cape Vincent Was Completed in April, 1852
WINDSTORM BLEW DOWN CAPE STATION IN 1895; 2 KILLED
FIRST SHIPMENT OF SILK VIA CANADIAN PACIFIC CAME OVER THE LINE
N. Y. C. CAPE VINCENT BRANCH
Train 804 Pulls Into Watertown Depot at 12:10 P. M. to End Passenger Traffic
---Freight Service to Continue
---”Jeff” Wells and George Walker Are Noted Trainmen of Line.
By F. H. KIMBALL
Today the Cape Vincent branch of the New York Central system passed a milestone in its 84 years of history, when at 12:10 p.m. train No. 805 (sic) drew in at the local terminal from that village pulling the last passenger train ever likely to run over the route again.
For the past several years passenger service on the Watertown-Cape Vincent branch has been steadily declining. The system applied to the public service commission to cut out all passenger service on the line. This was recently granted and today the passenger train to and from Cape Vincent rode the rails for the last time. Freight service will continue as formerly on this line.
The Cape Vincent train left here as usual at 8:40 this morning. This train is known as train No. 804. Its return trip was made on time and the service officially ended at 12:10 this afternoon at the close of the return run. Engineman Frank I. Peacor (sic), 446 South Meadow street, was at the throttle. Samuel A. Jones, 440 West Ten Eyck street, was the conductor and John W. Schryver, 413 Coffeen street, was the brakeman.
As far back as the summer of 1847 plans were being made to build the Watertown, Rome, and Cape Vincent railroad. A poster of that date refers to the proposed road as “highly important” for all citizens from the St. Lawrence on the north to the Erie canal on the south. Subscriptions were being sought. The poster stated: “By the charter we have till the 14th of May, 1848, to complete subscriptions, and make an expenditure towards the road.”
The venture gained ground rapidly thereafter. A board of directors was organized and on April 6, 1850 the actual organization of the Watertown & Rome railroad designed to connect Rome with Cape Vincent was accomplished at the American hotel in this city. The organization was capitalized at from $1,000,000 to $l,500,000.
Work Began at Rome.
The original officers of the Watertown & Rome railroad were: President, Orville Hungerford, Watertown; secretary, Clarke Rice, Watertown; treasurer, O. V. Brainard, Watertown; superintendent, R. B. Doxtater, Watertown. The directors were: S. N. Dexter, New York; William C. Pierrepont, Brooklyn; John H. Whipple, New York; Norris M. Woodruff, Watertown; Samuel Buckley, Watertown; Jerre Carrier, Cape Vincent; (probably a sentence or two followed which failed to be copied).
Construction soon began at Rome and by the fall of 1850 track was laid for about 25 miles north of Rome. But it was not until May of 1851 that the first engine puffed into Jefferson county. In the summer of 1851 work went ahead on the construction of the road between this city and Cape Vincent. Contractors were at work on the new line throughout the summer and fall.
Line Reaches Chaumont in 1851
Among the first engines that traveled over the Rome & Watertown road were the Lion, the Roxbury, the Commodore, and the Chicopee. It was during this pioneering stage of the railroad that Orville Hungerford died, on April 6, 1851. W. C. Pierrepont, was named president to fill the vacancy, and it was under Mr. Perrepont’s jurisdiction that the Watertown & Rome railroad was finished.
The line was pushed through to the village of Chaumont in the fall of 1851 and in April, 1852, reached Cape Vincent, the original northern terminus. Cape Vincent was an important point of entrance to the country even in those days and the railroad linked the St. Lawrence river with the interior of the state. With the Cape Vincent line finished the regular operation of trains began formally on May 1, 1852. And so almost ten years before the beginning of the Civil war, Cape Vincent was united with the rest of the world by a railroad.
A ferry at Cape Vincent, The Lady of the Lake, connected the village with Kingston, Ont., and the trains were operated to connect with the ferry. Extensive docks and piers were built and a great wooden-covered passenger station was erected. This was built in 1852. It resembled a great barn with a huge gap of an entrance where the trains ran through. This old station stood from 1852 until 1895.
The end of the station was a tale of tragedy. On the night of Sept. 11, 1895, the train from Watertown arrived on time to connect with the Kingston boat. Suddenly a violet storm swept over Cape Vincent and passengers on the dock sought shelter inside the great station. The wind swooped down on the ancient structure, lifted it off the ground and then dropped it, smashing the whole building in a great crash. Two person were killed and many more were injured.
Old Station a Landmark.
Thus for 40 years that old station stood as a landmark at Cape Vincent. The conductor of the train on the evening of the tragedy was the late W. D. Carnes, city, better known to everyone as “Billy” Carnes. In 1889 Mr. Carnes moved to Cape Vincent and for twelve years he served on the Cape Vincent branch, having the run from that village to this city.
The late Jefferson B. Wells has been characterized as “the commodore of the old fleet.” Wells was long in the service of the railroad and spent many years of his life as engineer on the Cape Vincent branch. His skill in handling locomotives is still recalled to this day. His two favorite engines were the T. H. Camp and the Antwerp. As engineer of the old “44” he is also remembered. This engine spent most of the later years of her life on the Cape Vincent route. Many stories are told of “Jeff” Wells and his railroading days.
“999” Used on Line.
The famous engine, the “999,” whose record of 112.5 miles an hour in 1893 has never been equaled, was in its later days assigned to the St. Lawrence division and during 1912 it was placed on the (paragraph truncated in copying).
In the 1870’s and 80’s when the Thousand Island region was entering palmy (sic) days, the Cape Vincent branch played an important part in the early development and interest of tourists in the St. Lawrence river. Excellent docking facilities were built at Cape Vincent. Besides the great covered station which stood at that time, there were the freight sheds and a huge grain elevator. But passenger service was by no means the only development on the Cape line. Freight of all kinds was unloaded from trains there and placed on steamers to make its way across to Kingston. The first shipment of silk from the Orient over the transcontinental route of the Canadian Pacific railway was made into New York city by way of the Cape Vincent ferry and the Rome and Watertown railroad in the fall of 1883.
The separate corporate existence of the R.W. & O. continued until 1914, when the Vanderbilts made a single corporation under the name of the New York Central railroad.
George B. Walker, 259 Flower avenue west, who retired from the Central last summer, was a veteran engineer of the Cape Vincent branch for many years. Other engineers have at times filled in during the history of the Cape Vincent branch but probably “Jeff” Wells and Mr. Walker are the best known of the group.
Heavy Sunday Traffic.
E. N. Lucas, who has been station agent at Chaumont for 30 years, today recalled the great crowds that used to make use of this line. He remembered that 3,000 people came into Chaumont by train on July 4, 1908. He said that three trains were required to draw them and that two of them were doubleheaders. Sunday night traffic before automobiles came into general use also was heavy, it was recalled.
Mr. Lucas said that so far as he knew no one ever lost his life on the Cape Vincent branch of the railroad. No very serious train accidents occurred on the line. It was remembered that about 45 years ago the Cape train jumped the track between Three Mile Bay and Rosiere but no one was killed. The coaches were badly damaged, however, and some passengers were injured.
The passenger agent at Cape Vincent now is C. F. Fairand; at Rosiere, Harry Rainear; Three Mile Bay and Chaumont, E. N. Lucas; Limerick, William Johns; Dexter, Bruce Munson and Brownville, Evan Davis.
The Eastern Greyhound lines announced today that the regular bus service will be maintained on the route. Buses leave Watertown for Cape Vincent at 11 a.m. and 5:15 p.m. and leave Cape Vincent for this city at 7 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. The 11 a.m. and 7 a.m. buses do not run on Sunday.
E. K. RATHBURN IS DECLARED DEAD
Staff Sergeant Originally Reported as Missing in Action Over Germany.
Staff Sgt. Earl K. Rathburn, 20, son of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth S. Rathburn, 137 Winthrop street, who has been listed as missing in action over Germany by the war department since April 11, 1944, has been officially declared dead by the war department, according to a letter received by his parents.
Staff Sergeant Rathburn had been overseas since July, 1943. He enlisted in the army air forces Oct. 10, 1942, and attended the army air forces flexible gunnery school at Fort Myers, Fla. He completed his course in gunnery in December, 1942.
Later he attended the air forces technical school where he completed a technician’s course on Feb. 27, 1943. While being transferred to a camp in Nebraska, the flier stopped in this city to visit his parents.
In August, 1944, the war department informed his parents that he had been awarded five medals---The Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal and three oak leaf clusters.
Surviving the sergeant are his parents and one sister, Mrs. Rhoda Parker, city.
FORMER PARISHIONERS HONOR PLESSIS PASTOR AT PICNIC
Theresa, Aug. 29. -- When Rev. Mr. Brown, pastor of the Plessis Methodist church, went to his morning services Sunday he was surprised to find a whole company from Depauville. They made a big block of his congregation of the morning and after the services informed him that they all had brought their lunch baskets, and that he was to go with them for a picnic dinner.
After a moments thought he said we will go to Crystal lake, that ideal body of water in this town where tables are ready to spread and stoves await the making of coffee. The entire company had a fine church reunion at the lake side and left early for the farm chores at night.
DEXTER SERVICE TO END SUNDAY
START TEARING UP RAILS MONDAY MORNING
LINE OPENED 32 YEARS AGO
Street Car Service in City May Be Discontinued Later If Lack of Patronage
Makes It Necessary--Greyhound Buses to Serve Brownville and Dexter.
Trolley service between Watertown and Dexter will terminate at midnight next Sunday night. Monday morning the work of tearing up the rails of the Black River Traction company between Dexter and Brownville will be begun. This is pursuant to the urgent request of the state bureau of highways that contractors may at once start construction of the new Watertown-Limerick concrete highway from the city limits in West Main street through Glen Park and Brownville to Limerick.
The Watertown & Brownville Street Railway company was organized in 1887 with a capital of $40,000 with the late Alfred D. Remington as its president and a group of Watertown capitalists owning it. A city franchise was granted in 1888 and ground was broken in High street Oct. 23, 1890. The first route was from the intersection of Pearl and Water streets through Pearl, Factory and High streets to State and thence over its present route to Brownville. For many years the line did not run in State street above High street and was not double tracked.
Daughter Is Born
Philadelphia, May 25 (46) -- A daughter, Judith Anne, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Miles, Philadelphia, Tuesday at 1 a.m. at the Mercy hospital, Watertown, weighing six pounds and five ounces. Mrs. Miles is the former Miss Madeline Moose of Philadelphia.
MISS GRACE H. RICHARDS WEDS
Miss Grace H. Richards, 428 Washington street, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Richards, and Edwin S. Patterson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Patterson, 132 Downer avenue, Utica, were married Saturday afternoon at 1 in Trinity Episcopal church.
The marriage ceremony was performed by Very Rev. Walter Middleton. The couple was attended by Mrs. Karl Gibbs, Mexico, sister of the bride, as matron of honor and George Magnan, brother-in-law of the bridegroom.
Given in marriage by her brother, John Richards of Chaumont, the bride was attired in a white satin gown, fashioned with fitted bodice and high neckline with a ---- of tulle and carried a white prayerbook topped with an orchid and tied with satin streamers.
The bride’s attendant was dressed in a gown of powder blue tousseline de soir and carried an arm bouquet of pink roses.
A wedding reception was held at the Hotel Woodruff Saturday afternoon from 3 to 5 and the couple left after the reception for New York and Washington, D. C. They will be at home at 300 Leah street, Utica, after March 1.
The bride is a graduate of Potsdam State Teachers’ college and has been employed as a teacher by the Watertown board of education.
The bridegroom is a graduate of Ohio Northern college and is employed by the Skenandoa Raydon corporation as chemical engineer. He recently returned from three years service in the Pacific theater of operations with the air corps.
Out of town guests at the wedding included: Mrs. John Langdon, Miss Mary T. Langdon, Mr. and Mrs. George Magnan, Miss Helen Morgan, George Magnan, jr., Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Patterson and Mrs. Stephen Patterson, Utica; Miss Theresa Magnan, Potsdam; Mr. and Mrs. Karl Gibbs, Miss Cynthia Gibbs and Mack Gibbs, Mexico; Mr. and Mrs. John Richards, Chaumont, and George W. Bates, jr., Pensacola, Fla.
Mrs. Patterson was guest of honor at several prenuptial parties during the past two weeks.
Item: May 16, 1921. Depauville had a $50,000 fire Sunday morning, the heaviest loss being that of the John S. Martin Dairy company of New York, whose cheese factory, with 226 boxes of cheese, was destroyed. Other property destroyed included the village hall, the Depauville hotel and seven residences and barns.
NEW DEPAUVILLE CHURCH PASTOR
Clayton, May 4. -- Rev. and Mrs. Albert Walker of Manchester, N. Y., were guests over the weekend of Rev. and Mrs. Royal B. Fishbeck. Rev. Mr. Walker occupied the pulpit of the Methodist Episcopal church at Depauville Sunday and has accepted a call to become pastor there. He will take up his residence at Depauville this week.
MISS ALVERA L. DILLENBACK WED (1936)
CEREMONY AT CLAYTON M. E. CHURCH PARSONAGE
IS BRIDE OF H. W. EASTON
Bridegroom Is Son of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Easton of Depauville and
Senior at St. Lawrence University
--Bride Is Clayton Resident
--To Reside in Canton.
Clayton, May 4. -- Howard Walton Easton of Depauville and Miss Alvera Loretta Dillenbeck of the town of Clayton were married Sunday afternoon at 4 at the parsonage of the Clayton Methodist Episcopal church by Rev. Royal B. Fishbeck, pastor.
Mr. Easton is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Easton of Depauville and is a senior at St. Lawrence university. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alvah Dillenbeck of Clayton. She has been employed at the Warner Knitting company.
Attendants at the wedding were Clarence Easton, a brother of the bridegroom and Miss Ruth Lee, both of Depauville. Following the ceremony the couple left for Canton where they will make their home until Mr. Easton's graduation in June.
Item: A daughter, Judith Anne, was born Tuesday in the Mercy hospital to Mr. and Mrs. Arthur L. Miles, Philadelphia. The baby weighed six pounds and five ounces. Mrs. Miles is the former Miss Madeline M. Moose, 237 Stewart street.
Item: Mr. and Mrs. Richard Boulton, 321 Arlington street, are the parents of a daughter, Cynthia Lee, weighing seven pounds, four ounces, born this morning at the House of the Good Samaritan. Mrs. Boulton is the former Miss Nancy June Bugbee, daughter of Mrs. Laura Bugbee, daughter of Mrs. Laura Bugbee, 122 Ten Eyck street.
Photo: Five generations of one family are represented in the above picture which was taken at the home of James Brawley, 95, Sydenham, Ont., when members of his family recently visited him. In the picture are Mr. Brawley; his daughter, Mrs. Anna Silver, 69, Chaumont (at left, back row); his granddaughter, Mrs. Grace Thompson, 44, Depauville (center, back row); his great-granddaughter, Mrs. Nina Dodge, 25, Clayton, and his great-great-grandson, Ezra Dodge, 4, Clayton.
HOAN--In Mercy hospital, June 4, 1936, to Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Hoan, Adams, Route 1, a son.
BOLAND-PHILLIPS--In this city, May 27, 1946, to James Bruce Boland, Fulton, telephone company groundman, and Miss Betty M. Phillips, 219 Francis street, laboratory technician.
BACH-HUGHES--In this city, May 25, 1946, in Bethany Methodist church by Rev. Lisle B. Caldwell, John I. Bach, 635 Mill street, and Miss Thelma G. Hughes, 927 Gotham street.
FLANSBURG-SHANNON--In the Middle Road Congregational church, May 18, 1946, by Rev. Fred T. Thayer, Floyd J. Flansburg, 226 Stuart street, and Miss Dorothy J. Shannon, R. D. 1, city.
Item: Fireman First Class Lorne A. Bartlett has returned to his base at Little Creek, Va., after spending an 18 days leave with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Albert G. Bartlett of 626 Lansing street.
REENLISTS -- Pfc. John W. Holman, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas H. Holman, 1500 Washington street, who has re-enlisted in the army air corps after two years’ training, left Saturday evening for Greenboro (sic), N. C., to report for duty. He had been home on a 60 day furlough. Private Hollman was a student at the Watertown High school when he enlisted in 1943. He received his discharge last October at Shepard Field, Tex., and reenlisted for one year. He received training in radio work and completed courses at Truax Field, Madison, Wis., and Scott Field, Ill, during his service as an aviation student. (photo included with article)
Return to Jefferson County Tidbits
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page