Depauville, Jefferson County, N. Y.

Births . Weddings . Anniversaries .
Graduations . Deaths .
Miscellaneous Community Happenings .

1930s and 1940s

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8


Photograph (not included here), captioned "Falls of Catfish Creek"

Catfish Creek Attractive at Depauville

Old Indian Burying Ground Is Located Opposite Them

By Frank D. Lowe

Catfish creek, it is said, derived its name from the abundance of catfish found in the stream by the first settlers in the locality. A dear friend of mine, the late William Dorr, used to say that the headwaters of this creek came from "out back of Lafargeville."

In early times at least four mills were dependent for their power upon this stream. There was one or more at Lafargeville, near the (?blurred) Schneider's place and there was a grist mill and a saw mill located at Depauville where the water passed over a fall of about 15 feet and there unites with Chaumont river.

On the west bank, opposite the falls, the old Indian burying ground is located. At times of high water these falls make an interesting picture as shown by a photo, the original of which was taken by my old schoolmate, S. A. Devendorf, and a reproduction is herewith presented. (not shown on this site) This stream extends from Lafargeville to Depauville, a distance of about seven miles. The saw mill at the latter place is now owned and operated by Fred Sternberg, who also conducts a manufacturing business in connection with the mill for which purpose water power from the streams is used.

At times of low water, there was insufficient power for the operation of the grist mill and under the management of Harry Fox electric power was installed and is now successfully used at all periods of the year.

The catfish of early times were caught out and nearly disappeared. However, big mouth bass still exist there in quite large numbers and many are caught each season. In the year 1916-17 the state stocked the creek with pike-perch but it was not a success for they went down over the falls into the river. The stream should now be restocked with big mouth bass which have thrived there for all these years.

Mr. "Hub" Rogers, who was in charge of the grist mill along about 1882, called me one time to see the fish in the flume. He had shut down the headgate and as the water went through the rack it kept the fish in the flume, where we picked out a panful of big mouth bass.

During the fall of 1878, I attended a select school at Depauville and boarded with my uncle, William C. Atwood, who resided at that time under the bluff, on the place now owned by E. J. Johndrow. That fall an Indian by the name of Peter Cole came in his log canoe or dugout on a trapping expedition and camped on the creek almost directly in front of the house, where the glimmer of his camp fire could be seen in the distance each night.

Under the above circumstances it was a pleasure for me to make the acquaintance of an Indian trapper, and to see him handle the log canoe with his paddle was a thrill not to be forgotten. He was about 35 years of age and knew well the art of trapping the "Musquash," as he called the muskrat. Also he caught several mink during the season. For some time I thought of joining him and becoming a mighty trapper. However, my people did not approve of the idea and I remained a student at the "Depauville Hillside Academy," as we called it at that time, and I lost out on my special course of training with the Indian.



After the business meeting, the Rev. Royal B. Fishbeck introduced Thomas B. Stoel, district superintendent of schools, who addressed the troup on the subject of local history. Mr. Stoel traced the history of this section from the time Cartier sailed up the St. Lawrence river in 1534 to the present day.

“When Champlain sailed up the St. Lawrence river in 1615,” said Mr. Stoel, “this territory was a wilderness, and hunting grounds for the five nations of Indians. What is now Jefferson county was the hunting grounds of the Oneidas. There were several Indian trails--the Onondaga trail which began where the village of Clayton now stands, up French creek, overland to Depauville, Chaumont Bay, to Henderson to the mouth of Stony creek and on down to Oswego. This trail now has a marker at Depauville. Another trail began at Ogdensburg, entered Jefferson county at Theresa, crossed the Indian river at Evans Mills, and went down to Oneida Lake. Another trail by water began at the mouth of Stony Creek to the mouth of the Salmon river. This section at that time was called New France.

“The first governor of Canada, County Frontenac, organized the Indians in the vicinity of what is now Kingston, and built a fort he called Fort Frontenac and since that time Kingston has been a powerful fortress. This was built in 1773, and it was from this point that expeditions were organized to attack the Indians in New York state. Another fort was built on Carleton island below the village of Cape Vincent, and was considered a strategic point in warfare as it controlled the mouth of the St. Lawrence river at Lake Ontario. The French built a fort on Chimney island, near Ogdensburg, and called this Fort Levi. They also built a mission at Ogdensburg, and later a fort there to protect this mission.

“In about 1800 the people from the Mohawk valley and the New England States began to settle in Jefferson county, and roads and inns were built, which began increasing rapidly until after the War of 1812. Jefferson county was formed in 1805 from a part of Oneida county. The town of Clayton was laid out in 1833. It was made up of a part of Penet Square which was a tract of land 10 miles square given to Peter Penet, by the Indians. This was laid out in tracts of one mile square, and it was from these lines laid out that we get our line road to Depauville, and the East line road followed the eastern lines of this square. Clayton was called French Creek village, and then Cornelia. There were very few roads, one of the earliest being from Clayton, through Lafargeville, to Stone Mills, into Watertown.

“In 1847 the first school district of Clayton village was called district No. 8, which was later divided into two districts, with two school houses. Grindstone district was called No. 1 but it is not definitely known which district was organized first. The present school district is now called district No. 8.”

“Depauville was named after Frances Depau, who built one of the first churches in this section in 1835. It was built of stone at a cost of $1,770. He agreed to appropriate $500 to the church if the people would pledge an equal amount. This was accomplished mostly by labor, materials, food, etc., rather than in actual money.”

Mr. Stoel traced the history of several prominent men in this vicinity, one of whom was William Johnson, who had a stormy career. He also named some of the people who lived on Grindstone Island in 1845 among whom were: J. Murdoch, W. Cummings, M. Garnsey, R. Marshall, J. S. Potter, J. Johnson, A. Buskirk and J. Wright. During the course of the address Mr. Stoel pointed out the use of local maps the various places he described.


Carl E. Nellis, Sr., 43, City, Thrown Under
Wheels of Moving Freight Car.

Thrown under the wheels of a moving freight car, Carl E. Nellis, sr., 43, 164 East Division street, a yard brakeman, suffered the loss of his left leg In an accident at the New York Central yards at 8:35 a.m. today.

The man was removed to the Mercy hospital in the Guilfoyle ambulance. His leg was amputated just above the knee at the hospital.

Early this afternoon hospital authorities described his condition as “good.”

Witnesses said Mr. Nellis had left the yard office at Pine street near the west end of the lower yards a moment before the accident occurred. He started to cross the tracks behind two freight cars attached to a switching engine when the engine unexpectedly backed up.

The rear car struck the victim, knocking him to the track in the path of the switching train. The leading trucks of the rear car passed over his left leg. The switching engine, which had been moving west pulling the two cars, had stopped to wait for a switch to be thrown, and backed up just as Mr. Nellis started to cross the track.

Mr. Nellis served as a cook and baker with the merchant marine service from December, 1944, to July, 1945. He saw service in the European theater of operations, and was aboard the S. S. William Tyler when that ship was torpedoed and sunk off the coast of France two days before V-E Day.

Mr. Nellis first entered the employ of the New York Central in 1929. His son, Carl E. Nellis, jr., served with the marine corps and was wounded at Bougainville.


Underwent Operation At Hospital Thursday

He Entered the Automobile Business in 1916 at Clayton
---Came to Watertown in 1925
---Funeral to Be Tuesday Afternoon.

Charles A. Plumpton, 49, 1404 State street, widely known automobile dealer and president of the Sprague-Chevrolet, Inc., dealers and distributors for Chevrolet automobiles, died at 10 Saturday evening in Mercy hospital where he had been a patience since Saturday, Jan. 2.

Death was attributed to complications following an operation he underwent last Thursday morning for a diaphragmatic hernia.

Mr. Plumpton had suffered from the hernia for about five years and during that period he had been under treatment in hospitals for that condition on four different occasions. Recently the condition became such that an operation was found to be necessary.

On Dec. 21 he returned from Clearwater, Fla., where he saw his son, Kenyon A. Plumpton, play with the Watertown High school team against the Clearwater High school eleven in the football game there Dec. 18. Mr. Plumpton made the trip to and from Florida by automobile, accompanied by Claude B. Fletcher, Evans Mills, and Thomas F. Mulheron, city, friends.

On Dec. 30 he entered the House of the Good Samaritan, where he was under observation for two days. Leaving the hospital on New Year’s day, he was admitted to Mercy hospital on Jan. 2 and the necessary operation was performed Jan. 14.

The hernia affected the diaphragm, that part of the body separating the cavity of the chest from the cavity of the abdomen.

His condition was considered favorable after the operation, but complications later developed and his condition took a turn for the worse Friday. By Friday night his condition was critical. From that day until his death he was under an oxygen tent.

Surviving him, besides his widow, are four children, Miss Elsie C., Wesley A., Kenyon A. and Marcus W. Plumpton, city; three sisters, Mrs. M. A. Lamb and Mrs. M. E. McMullin, both of Toronto, Can., and Mrs. Edna F. Gordanier, Hermon, and several nephews and nieces.

He had two brothers. One, his twin, died at birth. The other, William Plumpton, was drowned 32 years ago, at the age of 11, in (incomplete)................


The following clipping was missing an introduction and a major heading.

The Famine of 1788.

“Some of the pioneers in our section referred to it as the ‘Hungry Summer’,” said Mrs. Frank Pratt of Brockville, Ont., who was telling of Deacon Obediah Reed’s family when the cupboard was bare for several days in that dreadful season of 1788. Mrs. Pratt related about the “Special Providence” that Mrs. Reed always spoke of when referring to the incident.

Frank Pratt, business man of Brockville and past master for all of North America of a well-known fraternal organization, visits often in the Watertown section and it was during a special Barbara Heck service on the American side that Mrs. Pratt was the speaker.

In the year 1787 the settlers were just starting to locate in any number about the Maitland and Blue Church section on the St. Lawrence river, which is just across the river from that section midway between Morristown and Ogdensburg, her story disclosed. Many came almost empty handed. It was a cold season and the few crops planted were frost-bitten so that the harvest was greatly reduced. The next season, 1788, the pinch was greater for more people, empty handed, were locating there and that was also a cold season with few crops planted in the wilderness. The government did not furnish any supplies and starvation faced many a family. Salt was a much sought after article and at times was selling for a dollar a quart. Children stood on the banks of the river and pleaded to the passing boatmen to toss them, “Just one sea biscuit.”

It was during this depressing experience that Deacon Obediah Reed, pioneer settler, resolved to do something to relieve his suffering family. He had relatives just west of Kingston and Obediah proposed that he take a boat and row to Kingston and walk out to this relative’s place and procure some supplies and return to his family ere it was too late to save their lives. As he started out he cautioned his wife to portion out the scant supply of food they had on hand for each day he would be gone so that their two small children might be sustained.

Mrs. Reed did as directed but the husband did not return in time and there came the day when their food was exhausted. She had actually pieced it out one day longer than her husband expected. When night came the children ate the last crust in the house and went hungry to bed. She took her Bible and read a chapter and prayed a special prayer that in some manner the children’s lives could be spared.

She did not sleep well that night. Arising from her bed she heard the cat mewing at the door of the cabin and opened it to find one of the biggest rabbits she had ever seen laying there on the door step, so goes the story. The old cat had gone hunting in the night and caught this rabbit and carried it to the house. Mrs. Reed dressed off the animal and cooked it and it made them three very good meals. The next morning the cat was heard again at the door and again there was a rabbit. Again their lives were satisfied for another twenty-four hours. According to the tradition which came down through the Reed family, it was a full week that the old cat supplied the family larder. Finally, the deacon arrived after having been delayed by weather. He was almost afraid to ask about the children for he knew he was several days overdue. When he heard the story he quoted from the hymn the line, “God moves in a mysterious way, etc.”

The family had a real feast that night, even the cat, for the deacon had secured supplies. The next morning they looked to see if the cat had brought another rabbit, but none was seen and the old cat was sleeping contentedly on the doorstep.


Photo: Captioned, “Midget Couple to Wed”-- Miss Emma Cronk, 166 North Meadow street, four feet and one inch tall, and Frank J. Lentini, Auburn, four feet five inches tall, will be married in St. Patrick’s church on Saturday, March 2.

Photo: Captioned, “Eagle Scouts” -- Harold Wheeler, left, 429 East Hoard street, and Edward Cole, 116 West Division street, were advanced to Eagle Scouts at the Watertown district court of honor held Friday evening at the Watertown High school.

Depauville, June 29. -- Jacqueline Barbra [sic] Wrape, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Wrape, 514 E. Willow street, Syracuse, died Wednesday morning in Crouse-Irving hospital of that city. Mrs. Wrape is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Gale of Depauville.

Funeral services were conduction in Joseph Farone and Son funeral home, in Syracuse Thursday. The body was brought to Depauville cemetery where a committal service was performed by Rev. A. Daniel Evans, pastor of the Old Stone church.

Besides her parents, the baby leaves a sister, Miss Elsie Chinchar; her maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. George Gale, and several aunts, uncles and cousins.


Miss Schnauber Wed Ohio Man.

Miss Helen Audrey Schnauber, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Verne Schnauber, Depauville, and Ladislaus C. Klouzal, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Klouzal, Garrettsville, O., were married, this morning at 10 at St. Patrick’s church rectory. The marriage ceremony was performed by Very Rev. John L. Plunkett. Mr. and Mrs. Robert Schnauber, brother and sister-in-law of the bride, were the attendants. A reception was held at the home of the bride’s parents in Depauville, and the couple left for a trip to Ohio. They will return in about ten days and will reside at 153 Flower avenue west.

The bride was attired in a teal-blue suit with brown and winter white accessories. Her costume was complimented by a corsage of gardenias.

The bride’s attendant was dressed in a rose colored suit with black accessories, and wore a corsage of talisman roses.

Mrs. Klouzal is a graduate of the Clayton High school and the House of the Good Samaritan School of Nursing, class of June, 1944. She has also taken post-graduate work at New York university, and is employed on the teaching staff of the House of the Good Samaritan school.

Mr. Klouzal graduated from a high school in Cleveland, O., and served for two years with the armed forces in the Pacific area. He is employed as a mechanic.



Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Vittorio were married at Sackets Harbor and are pictured while on their honeymoon in Rochester. Mrs. Vittorio is the former Miss Rose Derrigo, daughter of Mrs. Mary Derrigo, 196 Ely street. Mr. Vittorio is the son of Mr. and Mrs. R. Vittorio, 109 Breen avenue.



Chaumont, May 29. -- Mr. and Mrs. George Van Alstyne were honor guests at a dinner at the Brownville hotel Saturday evening on the occasion of their 48th wedding anniversary. Carl Van Alstyne, a son, and Mrs. Ralph Wallace, the former Miss Marian Van Alstyne were hosts.

Mr. and Mrs. Van Alstyne were married May 25th, 1898 by Rev. B. G. Sanford of Pamelia Center at the home of Mrs. Van Alstyne’s parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. Joseph C. Nichols. Mr. and Mrs. Van Alstyne have lived in (the) vicinity of Chaumont and Depauville since their marriage and now reside on Main street, Chaumont.

Mr. and Mrs. Van Alystyne have three sons, Harold, of Washington, D. C., Leslie of Mexico and Carl, of Chaumont. Two daughters, Mrs. Atwood (Ione) Ladd of Buffalo and Mrs. Ralph (Marian) Wallace of Chaumont, four grandchildren and one great grand daughter.


Item: Pvt. Otis L. Darby, Fort McClellan, Ala., has left for Georgia to attend paratrooper and glider school. He recently visited his parents, Mr. and Mrs. O. L. Darby, sr., Three Mile Bay. (6-15-46)

Item: Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Schwalm of Bradley street road are parents of a daughter, Sandra Lou, born Tuesday at the Mercy hospital. (6-29-46)

LAEMMERMAN-MORAN In this city, Oct. 28, 1946, to Donald Roy Laemmerman, 756 Cooper street, glass blower, and Miss Mary Moran, 165 Duffy street, thermometer maker.

Item: Pfc. Robert Tenney, air corps, son of Mrs. Elizabeth Tenney, 429 Bridge street, has left for Manila, P. I., to serve overseas. He entered service last September and has trained at Kessler Field, Miss.; Geiger Field, Wash.; Greensboro, N. C., and in California. He left this country on May 27th. (6-5-46)

Veteran Purchases Home
Clayton, June 15. -- Mr. and Mrs. Burt Hart have sold their home on Webb street to Mr. and Mrs. Fred Dillenback and are now residing on the Halladay farm near the Deferno road. Mr. and Mrs. Dillenback, who have been occupying an apartment in the Cerow block, have moved to their new home. Mr. Dillenback is a veteran of the second World War and recently returned from (incomplete)

ALTON-LIVINGSTON -- In this city, June 16, 1946, at the Hope Presbyterian church by Rev. Merritt W. Updyke, pastor, Gordon L. Alton, 922 Boyd street, and Miss A. Anne Livingston, 221 North Pearl avenue.


Big Three Mile Bay Fire Just 50 Years Ago Today (1937)
Blaze Which Causes Loss of $40,000 March 2, 1887, Recalled

Fifty years ago this morning, March 2, 1887, a fire, started from a defective stove pipe, swept the business section of Three Mile Bay leveling store buildings and homes valued at over $40,000.

Breaking out at about 5 in the morning, the flames gained rapid headway and before they were finally checked every new block in the village had been destroyed and only four business places remained unharmed.

The Watertown fire department was summoned by telephone and the steam gong here was sounded to call firemen to duty.

Daniel B. Schuyler, president of the Jefferson County National bank, who was a boy residing in the village at that time, recalled the incident vividly today. His mother, Mrs. John Lansing Schuyler, still resided in Three Mile Bay on the same site where her home was destroyed by that fire. Mrs. W. A. Vincent, whose husband, Dr. W. A. Vincent, operated a drug store in another of the buildings, which was destroyed at that time, lives there now also.

“Heat from the burning building was so intense that it melted the snow and the street had the appearance of a canal,” said Mr. Schuyler today in recalling the fire.

All of Watertown’s fire fighting equipment, including the hook and ladder company, was mobilized to give Three Mile Bay assistance. Chief McCarthy was in charge. The steamer and two hose carts were loaded onto a flat railroad car here and left at 8:25 a.m. Twenty-six minutes later, at 8:51, the department arrived at the Three Mile Bay depot which was located a mile from the village. A team was hitched to the steamer there and the firemen hurried to the burning structures. The steamer was placed on the ice in the bay and water was drawn from there to supply the hoses.

By the time the Watertown firemen arrived the flames had already destroyed the block owned by John Lansing Schuyler, Dr. Vincent’s block, the G. R. Wilcox block and residence and the home of C. W. McKinstry.

The fire started in an upstairs floor of the Schuyler block and was caused by a defective stovepipe, it was said at that time. By the time it was discovered the entire upper portion of the Schuyler structure was in flames. Mr. Schuyler operated a boot and shoe store and a Mr. McKinstry operated a general store on the first floor. The Curtis & Storm furniture store and J. L. McMullin, merchant tailor, were located on the second floor. The loss in this block alone amounted to several thousands of dollars. Most of the loss was insured, however.

After the fire had consumed the Schuyler block and residence, the flames spread to the Dr. Vincent block and that too was burned to the ground. Other buildings soon fell prey to the flames. They were the large block owned and occupied by G. R. Wilcox, Mr. McKinistry’s residence, the Wilcox home and a tenement building, also owned by Mr. Wilcox. Business establishments which suffered heave losses included the Flanders & Warner furniture store in the Wilcox block.

Residents were forced to leave their homes attired in only scant clothing and women aided the men in removing furniture and stock from the business places. An account in The Times 50 years ago stated that the center of the village had the appearance of a camp site.

Watertown firemen were credited for saving the entire village from destruction. About 1:30 in the afternoon the Central House, the hotel there at that time, was thrown open to the firemen and dinner was served to them.

C. D. Hayes, while aiding in fighting the fire, was struck on the head by a falling glass bottle fire extinguisher and although he was knocked down and hurt severely, after some little time he was able to continue helping the firemen.

The Central house, which was near the Schuyler residence, caught fire but the blaze there was soon put out.

When the fire was finally under control the only establishments remaining were those of Wheeler & Hayes, general merchandise; the grocery and saloon owned by A. J. Lucas; J. L. Taylor’s harness store and the saloon owned by George Crouse.

Thirteen years later, in 1900, Three Mile Bay was again the scene of a fire and the Schuyler residence was destroyed for the second time.



Prof. Seymour M. Pitcher, University of Iowa, son of Mrs. Charlotte B. Pitcher and the late Senator Fred B. Pitcher of this city, has sold the former Maitland Boon residence at 208 Sherman street, to W. Earl Curry, city. The sale was made through L. M. Peck, local real estate broker. Attorney Ruth K. Child handled the legal details.

The house was built in the 1880’s as a residence for Maitland Boon and his family and consists of about ten rooms. It occupies a site 32 by 99 feet, which was part of the original lot purchased by the late Stephen Boon May 23, 1840, at the southwest corner of Stone and Sherman street, Sherman street having then been known as Benedict street.

Stephen Boon, who came to this city from Vermont about 130 years ago, later was responsible for the development of the western end of the city having constructed a large number of houses including his own residence. That was the attractive colonial type house now owned and occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Lucien C. Mitchell at 204 Sherman street, adjoining the property which has just been sold. This Stephen Boon residence was built in 1840.

The sites of both houses were acquired by Stephen Boon from Mr. and Mrs. George Benedict and Mr. Boon, who died in 1892, was the father of Maitland Boon, original occupant of the house acquired by Mr. Curry.

Maitland Boon died Dec. 11, 1906, and the property passed to his children. Aug. 25, 1909, his son, Maitland Boon, Jr., quit-claimed his interest to his sisters, Miss Helen E. Boon, Mr. Mary F. Tucker and Mr. Charlotte Pitcher. Eventually Miss Helen E. Boon acquired entire ownership and deeded it to her nephew, Professor Pitcher, Sept. 20, 1940. Professor Pitcher is a great grandson of Stephen Boon.

The house was visited by fire on the night of last Nov. 27. The occupants, Miss Boon, 85, Mrs. Tucker and Mrs. Pitcher were overcome by the smoke, from the effect of which Miss Boon died two days later.



Mrs. Eleanor Dominick Pacela and Mrs. Lessie Hart, City, Receive Injuries
Two women were injured, one of them requiring hospitalization, in separate accidents Tuesday afternoon and evening.

Mrs. Dominick (Eleanor) Pacella, 59, of 506 Arsenal street, is in the Mercy hospital with a possible brain concussion, possible fracture of the knees, a head bruise and shock. She was hit by a car driven by Floyd E. Davis, 46, of 118 Highland avenue, on Arsenal street near the intersection of South Meadow street at 9:55 Tuesday night.

Davis told police that he was proceeding east on Arsenal street when he was blinded by the lights of a westbound vehicle and he did not observe Mrs. Pacella in the middle of the road. Davis swerved his car in an effort to avoid hitting her but the left front bumper struck the woman, knocking her down. She was taken to her home and later removed to the hospital.

Mrs. Lessie Hart, 47, of 320 William street, was treated at the House of the Good Samaritan, Tuesday afternoon at 12:45 for bruises to the right hip, shoulder and arm suffered when she was hit by a taxicab operated by Charles P. Taylor, 25, of 206 Wealtha avenue.

Taylor told police that he was driving east on State street when he observed Mrs. Hart starting away from the north side of State street. The taxi driver said he sounded his car horn twice but Mrs. Hart then started on the run across the street. The left front fender of the cab struck Mrs. Hart, knocking her to the pavement. Taylor immediately took her to the hospital where she was treated by a physician.


(Special To The Times)

Depauville, Jan. 15. -- Mrs. Lizzie Casselman Lenfelter, 76, widow of John Lenfelter, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Edward Dintelman, near here, at 2:15 a.m. today, the 59th anniversary of her marriage. Mrs. Lenfelter had been in failing health for about two years.

She was married in the Three Mile Bay Methodist Episcopal church on Jan. 15, 1879. Mr. Lenfelter died Oct. 10, 1936. Mrs. Lenfelter had resided near her for 21 years.

She was born at Three Mile Bay June 29, 1861, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Rance Casselman. She was a member of the ladies' auxiliary of the local Methodist Episcopal church, the D. Y. B. Sunday school of the church and the Depauville grange.

Mrs. Lenfelter is survived by a son, Arthur, of this place; her daughter, Mrs. Dintleman [sic], and two grandchildren, Fern Lenfelter and Carl Dintleman [sic], this village.

The funeral will be held from the daughter's home Monday afternoon at 2. Rev. Albert Walker, pastor of the local Methodist Episcopal church, will officiate. Interment will be at Three Mile Bay.

LENFELTER--Near Depauville, Jan. 15, 1938, Mrs. Lizzie Casselman Lenfelter, widow of John Lenfelter, aged 76 years. Funeral Monday at 2 p.m. from the home of Mrs. Edward Dintleman [sic], Depauville, a daughter, Rev. Albert Walker, pastor of the Depauville Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Interment in Three Mile Bay.

Note by Typist: “Lenfelter” is the incorrect spelling of Lizzie’s name. It should have been spelled, “Lingenfelter.” The spelling of Casselman and Dintleman are questionable, although the Dintelman family has advised this typist that “Dintelman” is the correct spelling.


Recalling Frank Woolworth

To The Times:
About my recollections of Frank Woolworth. His education was just a country school and a course in Brown Business college. As a salesman at Bushnell’s he was getting ten dollars a week but stuck for twelve but Bushnell would not pay it. So you see, Bushnell rated him not a coming wizard in business or a coming millionaire but this proved a blessing in disguise as he went over to Moore and got a job. Mr. Moore had in the center of his store a table with everything for five cents and another one everything for ten cents.

This gave Frank the idea that stores could be run everything for five and ten cents but he had no capital. It was said he tried to borrow $500 from his father but father said he would only waste it. His grandfather did let him have it and Moore went good for about the same amount in a New York wholesale concern.

There is one thing he didn’t mention in his memories. His first store in Utica was not a success. None of us like to advertise our mistakes, not even Roosevelt. This Utica store was a flop but he then went to some city in Pennsylvania and reversed the Utica plan and got a small store on a busy corner and he told me he made $5,000 while the other business men were laughing at him. From that on you see he was the first one to open stores of this kind; therefore, he had no competition for a long time. In fact he told me once that if you took his capital and credit away he could not start and do it over again.

After, I think, he had opened three stores and had an office in New York he took me over to spend the night in his flat in Brooklyn. After showing me through he said, “Say, what do you think I pay here? I pay $45 a month. What do you think of that?” So, you see, at that time five and ten cent business did not look to him a million dollar business.

I recall that while he first was in Watertown he did not have the price of an overcoat for the winter but his mother had knit him a big woolen scarf. He had managed to get the price and bought himself a high plug hat and Easter morning after church he joined the Easter parade. The small boys were so amused that they threw snowballs at the hat.

These rambling recollections of Frank Woolworth and Watertown may be of interest to some and a showing of the possibilities in this country of a poor boy if Roosevelt would just be president and keep his hands off business.


Former Watertown Resident.
Rockville, Conn.

Note by Typist: Readers might find interesting the obit of Louis W. Moore farther down in these texts. It was Mr. Moore’s father who allowed Frank Woolworth counter space in his Moore & Smith Store for trying out his “5 & 10 cent” concept.


Miss Flansburg Will Be Bride

The engagement of Miss Shirley J. Flansburg, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd R. Flansburg, 226 Stuart street, to Pvt. Leslie E. Daniels, son of Mr. and Mrs. Wesley A. Daniels, Chaumont, was announced at an engagement party held at the Hotel Woodruff.

Miss Flansburg attended the local schools and was graduated from the Watertown High school. She is employed by the Agricultural Insurance company. Private Daniels is a graduate of Chaumont High school and before going into the army in March 1944, was attending Syracuse university. He is stationed at Santa Ana, Calif. No date has been set for the wedding. (A photo of Miss Flansburg was included with the clipping.)



Miss Hazel F. Stokes, 741 Gotham street, was married to Bertram G. Mapp, 630 Boyd street, Saturday afternoon at 3:30 at the First Methodist church, Rev. Robert Anthony, pastor, officiated.

Mrs. John (Iola) Millard was the matron of honor and P. Coutts was best man. A reception was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Millard, following the ceremony. The couple then went on a short wedding trip, and will reside at 630 Boyd street after June 24.

Mrs. Mapp was dressed in a light blue street length dress with white accessories and an orchid corsage. Mrs. Millard wore a lime colored street length dress with white accessories and an orchid corsage.

Mrs. Mapp attended the Watertown High school and is employed at the Millard studio, this city. She is a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. George Stokes.

Mr. Mapp, son of George Mapp of England and the late Mrs. Mary Mapp, is employed by the J. B. Wise company. He was previously married to Mrs. Alice Cooper Mapp, 230 Coffeen street, whom he divorced last February.


Mr. Liddy’s Spring Bed.

Esquire for April:
Blessing be on the head of the obscure and almost forgotten James Liddy, of Watertown, New York, who invented the spring bed. We owe this priceless gift to civilization to the fact that Mr. Liddy was sitting in his buggy about ten years before the Civil War, waiting for his wife. He felt drowsy and dropped off for a minute or two. When he awoke he began to think of the enormous superiority of the spring upholstered cushions in his buggy to the unyielding foundation for the mattress on his bed. He gathered together some old buggy springs and at the spring wagon factory at Watertown made the first bed spring, which he installed in his own four-poster bed.


Item: Jean Wiley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gordon E. Wiley of 130 Mullin street, and Colleen O’Grady, daughter of Mrs. Edith E. O’Grady of 138 Stone street, have earned Red Cross World War II pins. Both girls have donated 200 hours of their time doing Red Cross work to earn the pins, which were presented today.

HAWES--In this city, June 28, 1946, Mrs. Rhoda Jane Neff Hawes, aged 55 years. Funeral services Sunday afternoon at 2:30 in the Church of the Redeemer. Burial in North Watertown cemetery.

HENSLEY-KITTLE -- In this city, June 24, 1946, to Robert E. Hensley, welder, Hammond, Ind., and Miss Jessie G. Kittle, 1021 Boyd street.

COMINS -- In the Mercy hospital, June 18, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Comins, 626 Theresa street, Clayton, a son.

Item: Pfc. Robert A. Adams, son of Mr. and Mrs. Alton H. Adams, 154 Bowers avenue, who has re-enlisted in the army for one year, is spending a 30-day furlough at his home in this city. Private Adams, who has been stationed at Fort Lewis, Wash., entered the army on Jan. 16. He received basic training at Fort Robinson, Ark., and Camp Pickett, Va., before going to Fort Lewis.

FIORELLI-CAPONE -- In this city, July 8, 1946, to Pasquale E. Fiorelli, typewriter serviceman, Philadelphia, Pa., and Miss Marguerite Capone, 725 Coffeen street, teacher.



Miss Betty Jane Trumble, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. Ellsworth Trumble, 266 East Main street, and Peter John Olah, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Olah, 675 Grant street, were married Monday morning at 11 in Trinity Episcopal church chapel. The marriage ceremony was performed by Very Rev. Walter C. Middleton. A reception for 30 guests was held at the home of the bride’s parents following the marriage ceremony. The couple left later in the day for a trip to Canada. They will be at home at 266 East Main street after March 4.

Given in marriage by her father, the bride was dressed in an ivory white satin bridal gown, fashioned with sweetheart neckline, long sleeves, ending in a point over the hands. The full skirt ended in an oval train. She wore a fingertip veil which fell from a juliet cap of seed pearls and carried a bouquet of white roses centered with a white orchid.

Mrs. James Fiske was the bride’s only attendant. She was attired in a rose taffeta and lace dress with full skirt. She wore a matching halo and carried a bouquet of sweetheart roses.

Steven Singleton was best man and Jack Hathway served as usher. Nuptial music was played by Gilbert Macfarlane.

Mrs. Olah is a graduate of the Watertown High school and was formerly employed at the New York Air Brake company in the purchasing department.

Mr. Olah is a graduate of the Watertown High school and received his honorable discharge from the navy in October, 1945, after having served four years in the Pacific theater. He is employed as a machinist at the New York Air Brake company.

Note: On the same page was Miss Trumble’s engagement notice, which included her photo.


Item: Out of 182 contestants in the essay contest sponsored by the House of the Good Samaritan and Mercy hospital, the grand prize of $20 was awarded to Miss Sylvia Coffield, daughter of Mrs. Margaret Coffield of 621 Grant street.


He Takes Mrs. Dorothy Silsby Colon of Watertown as Bride.

Mrs. Dorothy Silsby Colon, 48, 219 West Lynde street, and John W. Kerr, 74, Star Lake, were married Saturday afternoon at 3 by Rev. Barber L. Waters, superintendent of the Black River-Ontario district of the Methodist Conference. The couple was attended by Mrs. Ruth Eberly of Henderson, and Melville E. Copeland, Watertown. The ceremony was performed at the home of Rev. Mr. Waters, 126 West Park Drive.

Mrs. Kerr was attired for her wedding in a moss green suit with matching accessories and wore a corsage of pink roses. Her attendant was attired in a green plaid suit with harmonizing accessories and she wore a corsage of red roses.

The bride is a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Royal Silsby and received her early education in the Black River schools and was graduated from the Black River High school. She has lived in Watertown for the past 25 years.

She was previously married to Floyd L. Colon, former grocer of 107 Main avenue, who died in this city in September, 1942.

Mr. Kerr has lived all his life in the town of Fine and is engaged in the general insurance business. He is a former superintendent of lumbering jobs in the Adirondacks where he was in charge of cutting and getting out lumber for the Briggs lumber company. During the first World War, he served as superintendent of the Mecca Lumber company of Utica. It is the third marriage for Mr. Kerr, his two former wives being deceased.


DYER-BAUTER -- In this city, July 20, 1946, by Rev. Walter C. Middleton, Charles E. Dyer, 405 Tilden street and Miss Beverly A. Bauter, 635 Olive street, at Trinity Episcopal church.

HUNT-JOHNSON -- In this city, July 19, 1946, in the Central Church of Christ by Rev. Henry W. Gair, Harlow R. Hunt, 2331 Hillside avenue, and Miss June K. Johnson, 320 Hillside avenue.

HUEY -- At the House of the Good Samaritan, June 30, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. William Robert Huey, jr., 134 Park street, a son, William Robert Huey, 3rd, weighing seven pounds, 13 ounces. Mrs. Huey is the former Miss Jane E. Whalen, daughter of Mrs. John W. Whalen, 134 Park street, and the late Mr. Whalen.

Note: A separate item duplicated the above and added the following: “Mr. Huey, a former member of the Fourth Armored division, is minister of music at the First Presbyterian church.

ROCKEFELLER -- In the House of the Good Samaritan, July 12, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. Clifford H. Rockefeller, 136 South Massey street, a daughter Cheryl Diane, weighing six pounds, four ounces. Mrs. Rockefeller is the former Miss Beverly DeLancett.

STIEGELBAUER-FLYNN -- In this city, July 25, 1946, to George N. Stiegelbauer, 646 Cooper street, engineer’s aide in the state highway department, and Miss Catherine Flynn, 527 Davidson street, school teacher.


Reynolds Corners Was First Settled in 1815
Frank D. Lowe Has Letter Written to His Mother in 1873
by Amos Reynolds Describing Long Trip to Lancaster County, Nebraska
-- Reynolds Corners Is Half Way Between Depauville and Perch River.


A description of a journey filled with weariness and sickness from Reynolds Corners--a settlement pleasantly situated half way between Depauville and Perch River on the Brownville road to Bennett, Lancaster county, Nebraska, in the stiflingly hot summer of 1873 is contained in a letter written from Bennett Aug. 10, 1873, by Mrs. Amos Reynolds to Mrs. Isaac Lowe at Reynolds Corners. The letter is now in the possession of Frank D. Lowe, 932 Franklin street.

The writer of this letter was the wife of Amos Reynolds, 2nd, a grandson of the first Amos Reynolds, who was the original settler of Reynolds Corners in about the year 1815. It was for him that the little pioneer settlement was named. This interesting account of a long and tedious journey into the west back in the 70s was written to Frank D. Lowe’s mother, Mrs. Zilla Atwood Lowe, who lived at Reynolds Corners with her husband most of her life.

The history of Reynolds Corners is an interesting one. Old Amos Reynolds came into the north country from New England when most of this section was just a wilderness. While it is not definitely known, it is believed, that he, like so many other pioneers of that day, made the long trek through the Mohawk valley and then on up into northern New York.

When Reynolds reached the site where he finally decided to settle, he built a small house and started to clear the land for farming. Frank D. Lowe in discussing the history of Reynolds Corners said that it was because of the excellent land at Reynolds Corners that was partly responsible for old Amos Reynolds settling at that particular point. Mr. Lowe also pointed out that another reason for the settlement there was the pleasant situation which probably attracted Reynold’s eye.

At any rate other families soon came there and within a short time the settlement was established and has continued to this day. At one time the settlement flourished to the extent of boasting of a hotel. It was known as the Kirby House. This hostelry did not continue much after the Civil war. But before that time when no railroads connected points in the north, it was known as an inn where local coaches stopped to change the horses and give passengers a rest. But Mr. Lowe said that the Kirby House had ceased to do business soon after he was born.

The Kirby House in later years was once used for a school house. But now no trace of it is left. It fell into decay through disuse.

The original old Reynolds homestead is believed to be now the back woodshed of the house that stands on the site today. The house that stood as the Reynolds homestead there for years burned in 1900 and was rebuilt as it stands today. It is believed, however, that the woodshed which is part of the original Reynolds house, did not burn in the fire, and is still used today.

Amos Reynold’s son, John Milton Reynolds, who lived at Reynolds Corners all his life, was a prominent farmer of that section.

He carried on in the tradition of his pioneering father and in turn married and raised a family. One of his sons was Amos Reynolds.......(a line or two missing)......want to remain in northern New York. He longed for the west. And so after his marriage to Miss Melinda Stev...(?), the writer of the letter to Mrs. Lowe, the couple with their family embarked on a vessel at Cape Vincent for Chicago. As the letter relates it took them nine days on the water and two days on the train to reach Lincoln, Neb., a short distance from Bennett where they finally settled.

Upon reaching their destination, Mrs. Reynolds wrote the following letter of their experiences, hinting at some home sickness, and describing their new place in the west.

The letter follows:

Bennett, Neb., August 10, 1873

“Mrs. Lowe.
Dear Friend:
"If I could only have the pleasure of seeing you this afternoon I could tell you far better than I can write. We were nine days on the water from Cape Vincent to Chicago and it took us two days on the cars to Lincoln, Neb. We got there the third day of July. Had a splendid journey but oh so tired, completely worn out and so very warm I thought I never could endure it. Jesse and Willie were taken sick. We came very near losing Willie. He lay stupid for hours. He was given up by the doctor but is getting better now, so he sits up some, cannot walk a step, so very cross than I can hardly live with him. For two weeks I never had my clothes off only to change them. For three days and nights I never closed my eyes to sleep. It was too much for me and I have been very sick, just drag myself around. Now I am so weak if I do the least thing I have to give up and go to bed. Willie and I are mere skeletons. We should have come earlier or waited until fall. I hope we have seen the worst of it. At least things look brighter now.

“Amos is well pleased with the country and likes it here well. He has bought 80 acres of railroad land 13 miles from Lincoln and three miles from Bennett. No implements on it. Expect to build ..?... this fall. Laura’s youngest boy was looking sick the 13th of July, died the 16th with choleric unphontoom (?) so you can judge if we have had trouble or not. While I was sick, I thought what would I give if I could only hear Mr. Forbes play once more. Give them my love. Tell them not to forget us in their prayers. How do you do? How is you [sic] hand? How is everybody? Mrs. Carpenter, give her my address. Tell her to write to me. I wrote Aunt Libbie a week [sic] today.

“Do you have any preaching at the school house? It seems as though I have been gone six months. Jesse is quite well now. Amos’s health is good, has lost a good deal in flesh. We have got in one of the best of neighborhoods, very kind to us indeed. The people are mostly from York state and Ohio, quite a number from Jefferson county . . . they seem more like people at home and makes it more pleasant for us. Is there any mail for me? If so please forward it to me? I want you to write a good long letter. I wish I could see all of my neighbors again. I think of them often, yes, yes, indeed I do.

“Write me just as soon as possible. Love to everybody. Remember us in your prayers. Goodnight.

“Yours truly,
“Mrs. Amos Reynolds.”

Mr. and Mrs. Amos Reynolds were accompanied to their new home in the west by Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Collins, also of Reynolds Corners. Collins was the husband of Miss Laura Reynolds, a sister of Amos Reynolds, 2nd. Both couples never returned to the county of their birth after leaving in 1873.

It was 1831, about 16 years after Reynolds had founded Reynolds Corners, that the father and mother of Frank D. Lowe came into the settlement to make their permanent home. Mr. Lowe’s mother, before her marriage was Miss Zilla Atwood. She was born in the town of Rodman in 1818. She died in 1889. Mr. Lowe’s father, Isaac Lowe, was born in the town of Denmark, Lewis county in 1812 and after his marriage, came on into Jefferson county and started farming at Reynolds Corners. Here it was that Frank D. Lowe was born.

Mr. Lowe also has in his keeping an interesting letter written to his brother, the late Alfred D. Lowe of Depauville, who lived in the vicinity of Reynolds Corners and Depauville all of his 86 years. The letter was written by George W. Reynolds from Houston, Texas, on April 18, 1893. This Mr. Reynolds was a brother of John Milton Reynolds, son of old Amos Reynolds, and uncle of Amos Reynolds, 2nd. He unlike his brother, John did not stay in Reynolds Corners, but on Oct. 17, 1830 nearly 107 years ago . . . started for Mississippi. He later went on to Texas to make his home. In the letter he tells of his occasional visits to his old home.

He also recalls in the letter his early life in northern New York:

“Sixty-three years ago, this approaching summer, I was in the employ of Stephen Johnson of Depauville. He was postmaster, a merchant, owned a saw mill, potash, smith shop and three farms.

“In the summer of 1830, Mr. Johnson started a raft of oak timber staves to Quebec and went himself to sell the same, leaving me in charge of the above named business. At haying time, I employed Isaac Atwood, Bailey Holliday, King A. Reed, A. L. Robinson, and John Wilson, these two last from Leray, to help me through haying. Isaac was my special favorite and friend, faithful as daylights.

“The winter of 1828-29 I taught the Depauville school and Otis Spencer and his two brothers, sons of John Spencer, were my pupils, so I became very well acquainted with them. In 1828 I met Otis at the old Warren Flower place. I started Oct. 17, 1830, with A. L. Robinson for and reached Natchez, Miss., Nov. 22, 1830. Since that date I have but occasionally visited the place of my boyhood home. I well remember your father and his older brother, Jacob, as also the older Abram and French Lowe.

“My long absence from the scene of my boyhood with the few you have named awaken new and yearning desires to meet again the faces, if I ever get to Jefferson county again I hope to see Depauville where the Fowlers, Johnsons, Nortons, Dr. Page, Spencers, Atwoods, etc. were wont to meet often. But I am so far away in a more genial clime where no cyclones, or snows ever come ’tis hardly probable I shall again be permitted to visit there.

“This fine country, soil and climate, never cold nor hotter than with you. Fine fruitful and cheap land and healthful. In over 16 years in Texas, I have not been sick an hour. I am quite strong and can walk three or four miles and not get weary. This is the best city in Texas, 13 railroads, 40 to 45,000 population with prospective coast town to rival eastern cities in commerce in the near future.

“Accept my thanks and regards, I remain,
“Most truly yours,
“George W. Reynolds.”


Depauville, March 23. -- Mr. and Mrs. William W. Lowe observed their 58th wedding anniversary quietly at their home last Friday. Their wedding took place March 19, 1879, at the Crowner House in Watertown. The ceremony was performed by Rev. G. J. Porter and witnessed by Fred King and Flora McComber. Mrs. Lowe before her marriage was Nettie Atwood.

Mr. and Mrs. Lowe resided on the Morris tract for six years and then moved to the Fox farm near Depauville, where they lived for 17 years. For the past 35 years they have resided at Depauville.


Victor Habeeb, son of Mrs. Shamsie Habeeb, 679 Cooper street, and the late Lotas Habeebe, and Miss Lillian Akkoul, 400 Nicholas avenue, Syracuse, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Charles Akkoul, obtained a marriage license in Syracuse Wednesday. The couple announced that they would be married June 16 in Syracuse.

Miss Akkoul is a graduate of the Vocational High school, Syracuse, and has been employed in her brother’s grocery store in that city. Mr. Habeeb was educated in the Watertown schools and was inducted into the armed service in February, 1942. He served in the Pacific theater of operation. He and his brothers, Charles, Nagis William and George, operate the Red and White store on Mill street.


Item: Leonard Thomaris, accompanied by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Thomaris, left Saturday morning by automobile for Akron, O. Mr. Thomaris’ marriage to Miss Mary Dundoukos of Akron will take place in that city Sunday. The couple will make their home in Potsdam. (7-1-46-)

Item: Leo Kamalsky, son of Frank W. Kamalsky, 671 Grant street, is attending the Sophomore Summer Camp of the New York State College of Forestry, Syracuse. The camp is located on the shores of Cranberry lake. The camp began July 1 and will end Sept. 14.


COOKE-MICHAELS -- In this city, May 16, 1946, to Kenneth G. Cooke, 624 Lansing street, student, and Miss Theresa Michaels, 567 West Mullin street, telephone operator.

Depauville, May 20. -- Mr. Ernest Radley gave a dinner party Thursday for her mother, Mrs. George Wagner, who was 82 years old.

Those present were: Mrs. Elizabeth Dorr, 89; Mrs. Elizabeth Frye, 83; Mrs. Nettie Gillette, 8?, Mrs. Sadie Smith, 81, and Miss Olah Dwyer

Photo: The wedding party of Mr. and Mrs. Philip F. Allen.
Text: Married -- Mr. and Mrs. Philip F. Allen are shown with their wedding attendants at the breakfast served at the Hotel Woodruff following their marriage at the Church of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Saturday morning at 10. Mrs. Allen is the former Miss Eletta L. Elsie, daughter of Mrs. Charles H. Elsie, 726 Mill street. Mr. Allen is from Herkimer. Left to right: John Donahue, Utica, best man; Mr. Allen, Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Wesley L. Waite, sister of the bride, bridesmaid.


Called By Illness (1946)
Three Mile Creek, July 26. -- Howard F. Smith, Baltimore, Md., was called to the family home here by the illness of his father, Horace Smith. Mr. and Mrs. Stanton Smith of Canton are also at the family home.

Son Is Born
Depauville, July 10. -- A son, Allen George, weighing seven pounds and seven ounces, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Glyndon Denesha on Friday.

Condition Improved.
Clayton, July 23. -- Horace Smith who has been seriously ill at his home on the Three Mile Creek road for the past week, is slowly improving. His son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Stanton Smith, Canton, and his son, Howard F. Smith, Baltimore, Md., are at home with their parents. He is still confined to his bed with undulant fever.

HOLLAND - In Mercy hospital, July 8, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. William Holland, 159 East Division street, a daughter.

Three Mile Creek, July 26. -- Mr. and Mrs. James Kenney were honored at a party, commemorating their 25th wedding anniversary, at their home last Friday.

About 50 guests attended the surprise party which was given by the son and daughter of the couple, Murray and Ona Kenney. Refreshments were served.

The couple received many gifts and cards.

Typist’s Note: An unusual advertisement honoring the 1936 Sears Golden Jubilee was found on this page. It most likely appeared during January of 1946. It was a pictorial account of transportation goods, as sold by Sears through the years. The cartoon story for each year was in the form of a horizontal banner:

For 1886 - “The Start of Sears Roebuck . Heyday of the Hansom Cab . Sears “American Beauty” Buggy . Speed 4.6 Miles Per Hour”

For 1909 - “Sears Model G, 2-cylinder 14 horsepower automobile Speed 25 Miles An Hour . Downhill . Throttle Wide Open”

For 1914 - “Sears Justice Tires for Automobiles - 30 x 3” . $11.91 . Watch Out for The ‘Speed Cops’ You’re Going 35 . . .”

For 1926 - “Sears Perfect and Introduce a New Tire . Allstate Built for New Roads . for Higher Speeds - for Greater Mileage”


Edward W. Colligan, 18, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward J. Colligan, 215 Francis street, who is a 1945 graduate of the Watertown High school and has completed a year’s study at Clarkson college, today made the highest mark in the navy applicant qualification test at the local navy recruiting office ever earned here since Chief Machinist Mate Cyrus H. Osier became recruiter in charge last December.

Mr. Colligan, a member of Karma fraternity at Clarkson, took the Eddy test in preparation for the navy electronics program and expects to leave next week for final physical examinations at Albany, Chief Osier said.

Bravery Honored.
In a recent issue of the Great Lakes Weekly, an article tells of the honor which was bestowed upon Wilbur E. Easton, eldest son of Mrs. R. Easton of this village. He was a wheelsman on the Crescent City, and was presented with a gold medal in recognition of his heroic acts in attempting to rescue the crew of the steamer Desmond, which foundered off South Chicago, Dec. 8, 1917.

MATTRAW - In Hollywood, Calif., Nov. 9, 1946, W. Scott Mattraw, of Hollywood, formerly of Watertown, aged 65 years. Funeral services Wednesday at the Pierce Brothers mortuary in Hollywood. Burial in Hollywood.

SINCLAIR - In the House of the Good Samaritan, Oct. 1, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. Robert H. Sinclair, 711 Morrison street, a son, Robert Henry, jr.

FETTERLY - On the Lafargeville-Gunns Corners road, near Gunns Corners, Nov. 2, 1946, H. Lawrence Fetterly of Clayton, aged 56 years. Funeral services Tuesday afternoon at 2 at his home at Clayton. Rev. T. J. Williams, pastor of the Methodist church of Clayton, officiating. Burial in Clayton cemetery.

O’CONNOR - WEATHERUP - At Dekalb Junction, July 21, 1946, by Rev. A. Howard Gabriels, Robert J. O’Connor, 704 Arsenal street, and Miss Avia Weatherup, Dekalb Junction.


Gives Address Before the Methodist Church Men

Superintendent of Black River District of Methodist Church Gives Speech on “The Heroic Life”
-- Men Favor Asking Governor to Sign Bridge Bill.

The annual banquet of the men of the Depauville Methodist Episcopal church was held Thursday night at the Depauville grange hall. Covers were laid for 90. Men were present from Great Bend, Chaumont, Lafargeville, Clayton and Three Mile Bay. Shortly after 8 the banquet was served by the women of the church. The tables were prettily decorated and a tempting menu was served.

While seated at the tables men from Great Bend, Watertown and Depauville were called upon for short remarks. Howard E. Reed of Fishers Landing and Thomas Mitchell urged the cooperation of the residents of northern New York in promoting favorable action by the governor upon the bill for the building of the bridge across the St. Lawrence from Collins Landing. A selection in French dialect by Howard Reed gave considerable pleasure to the men.

After the banquet the men adjourned to the assembly hall upstairs for the program. Four numbers sung by the Jefferson quartet of Watertown were enjoyed. The quartet is composed of George Hayes, first tenor; Louis Gates, second tenor; A. Lawrence Lewis, first bass; and Dr. Leslie Gould, second bass.

The speakers of the evening were Dr. E. B. Topping, superintendent of the Black River district of the Northern New York conference and Allen S. Perkins, treasurer of the First Baptist church of Watertown. Dr. Topping presented a forceful talk upon “The Heroic Life.” He emphasized three points. First, heroic faith. He urged that we have an optimistic faith, one that would get men back to the sense of the power of the church and the possibility of conquest for the kingdom. Second, spirit of heroic adventure, urging that men must be not only dreamers but doers; that there is a great opportunity for practical advantage in making the church really Christian and leavening a community with Christian principles and a Christian spirit. Third, heroic sacrifice. He stated that God never expected to save this world with sacrifice. If there had been any other way, Christ would not have gone to the cross. If there is any advancement in our civilization it will come through following the example of Christ in sacrifice.

After entertaining the men for a little time with humorous stories, Mr. Perkins turned his talk into a more serious channel speaking on the subject of “What the Church Has a Right To Expect of Its Men.” Mr. Perkins stressed four points in his talk. The four points were: The old fashioned religion, regular attendance at the major services of the church, the necessity of tithing and men must be salesmen for Jesus Christ.

Mr. Perkins said in part:

“The church has a right to expect that its men will have the old fashioned religion and it necessarily follows that it has a right to expect that they will take a further step--regular attendance at the major services of the church. When men take the family and go off for all day Sunday, they say they are worshiping God in nature. This is not so. They simply go for a holiday and have no thought of worshiping God. A sincere desire to worship God will find its expression in attendance at the church of his choice. We need to put Jesus Christ first on Sunday and other things second.”



Depauville, Nov. 28. -- The men of the Methodist Episcopal church served a fried fish supper at the Grange hall Friday evening, Nov. 18. Rev. A. A. Lawrence, pastor of the church, as chairman of the kitchen committee, had prepared a tempting menu.

The supper was an unusual success, people being present from practically all surrounding towns and Watertown. During the evening the C. I. C. class taught by Miss Flora Lee put on an excellent entertainment consisting of five plays, with vocal solos by Mary Campbell and Marian Haas and a piano solo by Marjorie Sternberg.

The receipts of the evening were $94.


Mr. and Mrs. William Hall, Watertown-Clayton road, announce the engagement of their daughter, Miss Aileen C. Hall, 110 Woodruff street, Watertown, to Bernard R. Staie, son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Staie, Evans Mills.

Miss Hall is a graduate of the Clayton High school, class of 1942. She has been employed by the F. N. Burt company here.

Mr. Staie is a graduate of Evans Mills High school, class of 1940 and attended Ithaca college for two years. He is employed at Evans Mills.


Chaumont, Feb. 7. -- Donald J. Grant, now on terminal leave from the army until his discharge becomes effective Feb. 16, and recently appointed athletic coach at Dexter High school, beginning with the new semester, has been promoted to the grade of captain in the army of the United States. The promotion became effective Jan. 18.

Captain Grant, son of Mr. and Mrs. Philander B. Grant, Chaumont, was graduated from Springfield college in June, 1941, and enlisted in the army the following August. He graduated from the infantry school at Fort Benning, Ga.

He recently returned to the United States after 25 months in Africa and Italy. He was awarded the Bronze Star medal.


Frank Golja, a native of Worcester in Otsego county who was released in December after over three years service in the navy, has been engaged by the Jefferson County Artificial Breeding association as the third inseminator in this area. He is now residing at 957 LeRay street with George Richardson who, with Morris Wilson of Woodville, are the inseminators for this part of the county. Farmers may secure the services of Mr. Golja by calling 1370.

The new officer of the Artificial Breeding Association was brought up on a 35-cow dairy farm and attended the East Worcester High school. He played semi-professional baseball with the Canadian-American League for three seasons before entering the navy May, 1942. He served in the Atlantic patrol area and received his honorable discharge from the service last December. He attended the school at Cornell university for artificial breeding technique during January and will serve in Jefferson county.

Return to Jefferson County Tidbits

Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page