Depauville, Jefferson County, N. Y.

Births . Weddings . Anniversaries .
Graduations . Deaths .
Miscellaneous Community Happenings .

1930s and 1940s

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8


Item: A short circuit in an upper story of a two-story barn owned by Roland H. Durand, 420 East Broadway avenue, caused damage to the sidewalls and ceiling Monday afternoon at 7:45. Firemen, who extinguished the blaze, said that a short circuit in the light fixture caused the fire.

Attend Summer Sessions.
Lafargeville, July 10. -- Mrs. Doris Storm is attending the summer session of Potsdam Normal school; Miss Ruth Micheau is attending the summer session of Syracuse university; Principal Claude Hutchinson is attending the summer school at Albany State Teachers’ college (1946)


Miss Alice M. Cross, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William M. Cross, R. D. 1, Watertown, and Gordon R. Smith, son of Mr. and Mrs. James Smith, R. D. 4, Watertown, were married Saturday morning in Gananoque, Ont. The couple was attended by Miss Frances Cross, sister of the bride, and William Davidson.

A reception was held at the home of the bridegroom’s uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Brett of Kingston, Ont.

The bride was attired in a blue dress with white accessories with a corsage of pink roses and sweet peas. Her attendant was dressed in a yellow dress with white accessories and a corsage of red roses.

Mrs. Smith attended the Sackets Harbor High school and was graduated from the Troy High school. She has been employed at the Bradley Hardware company here. Mr. Smith attended the local schools and was formerly employed at the William I. Roe feed store, Limerick. He is now employed as a truck driver in Kingston. (7-2-46)


Purchase Home.
Philadelphia, July 13. -- Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Grant have purchased the former William Monroe residence on Garden road of Norman Townsend, and will move there in the fall. (1946)

Item: We wish to say welcome back to Medford Schnauber who served with the Infantry for 37 months in the ETO with Quarter Master Air Corps and Ray Willard who served 41 months in the Navy as Storekeeper on the USS India off the Coast of Florida.

Item: If you wander into the machine shop Time-keeper’s office some morning you may wonder why Ed Shaughnessy, Dick Carlin, Neil Cornaire and John Roblin look so haggard and crippled up. Well, the reason is the “after 4:30 p.m.” workout they go through on the Air Brake Baseball diamond.

Photo: MARRIED - Mr. and Mrs. Edwin S. Patterson were married Saturday afternoon at 1 in Trinity Episcopal church. Mrs. Patterson is the former Miss Grace Richards of 428 Washington street. Mr. Patterson is from Utica where the couple will reside.

Photo: MARRIED - Mr. and Mrs. Frederick C. Kaphinst are shown in the rectory following their marriage at the Church of the Redeemer Sunday afternoon at 3. Mrs. Kaphingst is the former Miss Shirley F. Pickett, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Pickett, 314 Tilden street. Mr. Kapingst (sic) is from Richmond, Calif. Left to right: Franklin L. Pickett, brother of the bride, best man; Mr. Kaphingst, Mrs. Kaphingst and Mrs. Harold A. Goodnow, sister of the bride, matron of honor.


Glen Park, July 1. -- Miss Dorothy M. Paul, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George A. Paul of Glen Park, became the bride of George H. Hasner, son of Mr. and Mrs. Alvin C. Hasner, also of Glen Park at 4 p.m. Saturday, in a ceremony performed by Rev. William A. Gardner, at the home of Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Gardner.

The attendants were Mrs. Wynette Paul, sister-in-law of the bride, and John P. Raymond, friend of the couple. The bride was given in marriage by her father.

Mrs. Hasner is a teacher in the Brownville-Glen Park Central school, and has always resided in this vicinity. Mr. Hasner was born in Clayton, but has resided in Glen Park for several years. He is a mechanic.

The couple will reside in Glen Park, where Mr. Hasner has purchased a home.

Mrs. George Paul, mother of the bride, and Mrs. Gardner were the only guests.


(Special to The Times.)
Clayton, Feb. 10. - Mrs. Almira Blanchard, aged 81 years, widow of Charles Blanchard and for 70 years a resident of this village, died Tuesday night at 10:30 at the home of her son on the river road. She had been making her home for some time with her son, Harry.

Mrs. Blanchard had resided in this vicinity all her life and was well known and prominent here. She had been in ill health for some time.

Surviving are five children, Harry, Fred and Charles Ranney Blanchard, all of Clayton, Mrs. Charles Wilbur of Clayton and Mrs. Sylvester Holliday of Three Mile Bay. She is also survived by a brother, John Ferguson of Clayton.

Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon at 2 from the home of her son, Harry. Rev. H. W. Markham, officiating. Interment will be made at Clayton cemetery.


Item: Frederick English, seaman second class, stationed aboard the U. S. S. Franklin Roosevelt carrier, is spending a week’s leave with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William English, 158 East Hoard street, at their cottage at Campbell’s Point.

Item: Pfc. Richard L. Richmond, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lyell C. Richmond of 117 Gale street, has been transferred from Fort Dix, N. J., to Fort McClellan, Ala.


Rites Sunday For Girl Killed in Fall
Photo: Mabel Haggerty. Killed when she fell from car.
Photo: Florence Haggerty.
Sister of Mabel, who was riding with her at the time accident occurred.

Funeral services for the late Miss Mabel Haggerty, 14, of St. Lawrence four corners, near Depauville, who was killed Thursday night on the Dexter-Limerick road, when she fell from a car being driven by Jacob Klock, Limerick, will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 from the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Peter M. Haggerty, Rev. G. H. Foote, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of Three Mile Bay, officiating. Interment will be in Union cemetery at St. Lawrence. Bearers will be high school friends of Dexter.

Typist’s Note: The write-up of this tragedy was found several pages beyond this notice - look for headline, “Girl Falls From Car, Is Killed.”


BUSTO-MCCARTHY -- In the town of Watertown, June 29, 1946, to Valentine J. Busto, jr., 133 Scio street, carpenter’s helper, and Miss Jean V. McCarthy, 297 South Prospect avenue.

George Marlette, eight-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Leland J. Marlette, 1019 Ferguson avenue, was treated at the Mercy hospital Tuesday evening for an injury to his hand received when he caught it in a folding chair. After a surgeon took six stitches to close a wound in the thumb, the boy left the hospital. His father is director of bands in the local public school system.

Elaine Loisell, 5, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Earl W. Loisell, 260-1/2 East Main street, received treatment at the Mercy hospital, Tuesday evening for a bad laceration of the back sustained when she fell from a swing and struck on the pavement. The accident happened when the swing broke. Eleven stitches were taken to close the wound. The child was then permitted to leave the hospital.


Mrs. Phoebe A. Campbell Dies of Injuries
Opened Wrong Door and Plunged Down Flight of Stairs
--Funeral From Home of Daughter in Town of Clayton

Special To The Time)

Chaumont, Dec. 31. -- Injuries sustained when she plunged down a flight of stairs at the home of her daughter in Frankfort, N. Y., Thursday morning proved fatal a few hours later to Mrs. Phoebe A. Campbell, an aged resident of this village.

Mrs. Campbell was at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ella Bradshaw, having gone there a few days ago to pass the Christmas holidays. Early Thursday morning she started to go to the bathroom, and mistaking the door leading to the back stairs for the door to the bathroom, she opened it, falling down the stairs.

She sustained a fractured skull and several broken bones. She failed to rally and her death occurred shortly after 9 Thursday.

Mrs. Campbell was born in West Plain, Canada, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Bradshaw. In 1862 she married Adam Campbell, who died several years ago.

Surviving are two daughters, Mr. Ella Bradshaw; Mrs. Lucy Norton of Depauville; four sons, J. E. Campbell of Rochester, Vernon R. Campbell of Depauville, W. H. Campbell of Newburg, Ont., L. G. Campbell of Kingston; two brothers, Harvey Bradshaw of Napanee, Ont., and George Bradshaw of West Plain, Ont.

The body will arrive from Frankfort this afternoon and will be taken to the home of her daughter, Mrs. Norton, in the town of Clayton. Services will be held there Sunday at 2 p.m., Rev. Frank Brown of the Methodist Episcopal church officiating. The body will be placed in the vault at Depauville, to be taken to Tamworth, Ont., for burial in the spring.


Item: Depauville, July 10. -- Mr. and Mrs. James Lynch returned to New York city Thursday after having spent a part of their vacation with Mr. and Mrs. Perl G. Gillette, parents of Mrs. Lynch. (1946)


Cape Vincent Man Notes Birthday Quietly at His House.

Cape Vincent, Feb. 6. - Fred D. Gray is quietly observing his 85 birthday today at his home in Cape Vincent.

Mr. Gray was born in the town of Alexandria, Feb. 6, 1861, a son of the late John and Nancy Dillin Gray. He received his early education in the district schools at Black Creek and Clayton Center. He attended the Hungerford Collegiate Institute at Antwerp and Ives Seminary at Antwerp. He taught his first term of school at Smithville and later a term in the McCairn district, Clayton.

In 1883, Mr. Gray went west to Montanna (sic) where he stayed for 14 years, working as bookkeeper in a store and for the Andacanda (sic) Mining company in Butte, Montana.

On March 6, 1901, he married Miss Mary Elizabeth Clark of Ottawa, Ont., at St. Luke’s Episcopal church, Ottawa. Two children were born to the couple, a son, Clark Allen, who died at 13 months of age, and a daughter, Mrs. Robert (Vera) Hollenbeck of Cape Vincent with whom the couple now resides.

After their marriage the couple started farming on the Gray homestead near Lafargeville. Then for several years they worked the DeForest Halladay farm, Clayton, until Mr. Gray purchased a small farm on the Referno (sic) road, Clayton. The couple resided here until a couple of years ago when they retired, moving to Cape Vincent.

Mr. Gray is a brother of George Gray, Clayton; Mrs. Edith M. Halladay, Clayton, F. Burton Gray, florist, Carthage; and the late Dr. R. L. Gray of Clayton.

He has been active in grange work for many years having served as treasurer, overseer and master of Clayton Grange. He is also a member of Jefferson county Pomona, New York state, and the National Grange.

Mr. Gray is very active for his advanced age and last summer took all the care of a large garden.


Item: Pfc. Robert A. Adams, son of Mr. and Mrs. Alton H. Adams, 154 Bowers avenue, left Tuesday night for Fort Dix, N. J., to report for reassignment. Private Adams has been spending a 30-day furlough with his parents and was previously stationed at Fort Lewis, Wash., with the Ninth Division.


Mrs. Emogene House Calhoun, 93, widow of Joshua Calhoun, died at her home in Brownville Saturday night at 8:45 of a coronary thrombosis. Mrs. Calhoun received serious injuries in a fall at her home on Feb. 10.

The body was removed to the Cummings Funeral home, where funeral services will be held, Tuesday afternoon at 2, with Rev. Pascal DeFlorio (sic), pastor of the Brownville Methodist church, officiating. The body will be placed in the vault at the North Watertown cemetery to await burial in Clayton in the spring.

Mrs. Calhoun was born in the town of Clayton, Sept. 14, 1852, a daughter of the late Aaron and Charlotte Palmater House. She married Joshua House, who died many years ago.

Mrs. Calhoun is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Nathan (Ada) Walrath, Brownville; Mrs. William (Clara) Rusho, Adams; Mrs. Milfred (Annie) Goodfriend, Three Mile Bay; two sons, Arthur Calhoun, Clayton, and Elmer Calhoun of Grindstone Island.


Mr. and Mrs. D. G. Horning of Watertown Center, have announced the approaching marriage of their daughter, Miss Irene Horning, to Richard W. Bethke, son of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert M. Bethke of Trenton, N. J.

The ceremony will be performed Saturday, June 1, at 4 p.m., in the First Methodist church. Rev. Robert Anthony will officiate.

Miss Horning is a graduate of Watertown High school, class of 1941 and of Rider college, Trenton, N. J.

Mr. Bethke was graduated from Trenton Central High school in June, 1940 and attended Cornell university prior to his induction in the United States navy. He was recently discharged at Lido Beach, L. I.


By Ella Page Copeland

The passing over into the morningland of Marietta Holley left sorrow and sadness in the hearts of those who knew and loved her best. Her friends and admirers were legion and her name was a household word all over the world wherever her books were read, for they carried a message of cheer and laughter.

Samantha...........(line cut off)......homely common sense won for her a place in the hearts of the people. She was fearless in denouncing the liquor traffic and law violators and was often heard to say that “intense intemperance and greed were the greatest curse of our nation.”

Her interest in the problems of the colored race were very great and her book, ‘Samantha on the Race Problem,” was written with a purpose which she hoped to see fulfilled. At Chautauqua last years she heard the Piney Woods address and colored singers. Their wonderful work impressed her so that she remarked at the time that she should do something for that school. Her gift will help to educate and prepare for a life of usefulness many of those poor colored boys and girls.

She was also greatly interested in the work of the Salvation Army and we feel in her gift to them of her beautiful home, Bonnie View, that she has laid the foundation for a great work and that many other people of wealth and influence will add to the substantial fund she left to enlarge and put upon a paying basis this rest home for children and invalids.

Last year she wrote this poem:

Bonnie View

The sunrise softer, sweeter glows,
The sunset has a brighter rose,
The summer’s golden glories seem
To gild the earth with warmer gleam;
And deeper seem the skies for blue
Above the fields of Bonnie View.

And in the future from afar,
Perhaps from unfamiliar star,
Shall I permitted be to gaze
Upon thy dear familiar ways,
Or walk unseen they gardens through,
The flowery paths of Bonnie View?

Or will the place awaiting me
So full of blest fulfillment be;
Will weary hearts, homesick and tossed,
Find recompense for all they lost;
Shall I, dear heart, content with you
Forget my old home, Bonnie View?

And if perchance she is permitted to gaze from some unfamiliar star upon her beloved home or walk unseen its gardens through, she will see little, poor, frail children playing upon its spacious lawns and poor, tired, heartsick unfortunates receiving tender care amid the beautiful surroundings of her home, Bonnie View.

Her belief that the other world was so near to us, the veil so thin that to many it was given to catch glimpses of its celestial beauties and their loved and lost, and her last hours upon earth strengthened this belief for those who deeply mourn her death.

When her faithful friend, who had been with her many years, saw a great change had come and asked her if she should not send for some one she replied, “No, Ella, and all my own people are all around me here.” She asked Miss Seaman if she did not hear voices and sweet music and her eyes kept gazing up and up and murmuring “the everlasting arms,” her spirit took flight to the home beyond, for which we are all striving and for which she was so well prepared.

She had lived to see nearly all her dearest friends and relatives of her age journey on before her. In her desk we found an article recently written by her:

“He who has provided a balmy south as a refuge for the summer birds to which they fly instinctively with blind hope and trust, has not He prepared likewise a shelter for us, one where we may fulfill our deathless longings, meet the loved and lost and realize our souls dearest desires? Yes, over the lonely way, over the untried fields of the future age, over the unknown sea which they call death, even over that, He will guide us safely to a haven, a home immortal, not made with hands, Eternal in the Heaven.”

A few days before her death, she wrote a short poem. She was evidently thinking of her last resting place at Pierrepont Manor where her father, mother, and sister are buried and where a few years ago she erected a beautiful marble shaft. Only four lines compose these last written words:

“Warm summer sun shines brightly here,
Warm southern winds blow softly here,
Green sods above lie light, lie light
Good night, dear heart, good night, good night.”

We who lived her feel it was good night on earth, but good morning in Heaven.

“God calls our loved ones but we lose
Not wholly what He has given
They live on earth in thought and deed
As truly as in Heaven.”


Expires at Hospital of Injuries Received at Depauville
Inquest in Fatality Will Be Held Today By District Attorney
Sheriff’s Office Begins Investigation to Learn Cause of Accident
--Man Was Facing Traffic
---Car Knocks Down Pole and Comes to Stop Against Stone Wall
--Occupant of Car Has Possible Skull Facture.

Fred H. Leach, 76, of Depauville, janitor of the Depauville High school, died at 9:15 Thursday evening in the House of the Good Samaritan of injuries received when he was struck by an automobile driven by Richard F. Jones, 27, Adams Cove, former Dexter resident in the village of Depauville, about 5 .......(unclear).... Thursday.

Shock from the loss of his left leg, completely severed in the accident, caused his death. The man admitted to the hospital at 5:30 p.m., was attended by Dr. D. G. Gregor. His condition was so critical that he was not expected to recover.

Jack Wager, 49, Pillar Point farmer, who was a passenger in the Jones car, is in the Mercy hospital with a possible fracture of the skull, but his condition is not regarded serious and he is expected to recover. X-ray pictures will be taken to determine the extent of his head injuries. He sustained a severe scalp laceration. He is conscious.

Mr. Jones was bruised and cut about the head, but his injuries are not serious.

In addition to the loss of his leg, Mr. Leach suffered a severe fracture of the pelvis, an internal hemorrhage produced by the fracture and a dislocation of the right hip.

District Attorney Howard B. Donaldson, who was notified of the tragedy, announced that an inquest would be held some time today.

Mr. Jones, accompanied by his counsel, Attorney Roy A. Fuller, appeared at the sheriff’s office after the accident and made a partial report of the accident. He is not being held. Sheriff Brayton E. Peck said that Mr. Jones stated he has an operator’s license but did not have it on his person at the time of the accident.

The sheriff also said that the cause of the acccdent is not known, but a thorough investigation is being made by his office.

The accident happened in the village of Depauville near the residence of Deputy Sheriff E. J. Stadler. Mr. Leach was walking along the left side of the highway, headed west on his way to the village postoffice for his newspaper. He had been accustomed to walking to the postoffice about the same time every day for his mail.

The victim left his home, located on the main highway, almost directly across from the Stadler home, at about 5:15 p.m. and had proceeded a distance of only about 100 feet from his home when the accident happened, county authorities said.

Mr. Leach, who has been lame for several years, was walking either on the edge of the concrete highway or on the shoulder of the road, Sheriff Peck said. Villagers said he was walking on the shoulder.

Although Mr. Leach and the approaching automobile were facing each other, the accident is unaccounted for, the sheriff stated. Mr. Jones, driving a 1936 coupe owned by his wife, Mrs. Dorothy Bayley Jones, was proceeding in an easterly direction--toward Watertown. He had been in the vicinity of Rosiere and St. Lawrence.

The front of the Jones car, which, the driver said in his accident report, was travelling at a speed of between 30 and 35 miles an hour, struck Mr. Leach. The machine then left the right side of the highway, crossed a 115 foot embankment, struck an electric light pole, snapping it off near the ....(unclear)..., then crashed into the grid stone retaining wall in the driveway of the Stadler home.

The car travelled a distance of 708 feet from the point where it struck the man before it came to rest against the wall.

The pole is located beside the driveway of the Stadler home about 20 feet from the wall.

Neither Mr. Jones nor Mr. Wager was thrown from the car, but the latter was knocked unconscious. He later regained consciousness.

Mr. Wager, badly cut about the head was brought to the Mercy hospital by Eugene Albertson, who operates a gasoline station at Depauville. Edgar LaRose and Gerald Gould, both of Depauville, accompanied the injured man and Mr. Albertson to the hospital. Dr. H. N. Cooper attended Mr. Wager at the hospital.

The fact that the front part of the car was pushed backward indicates that the car struck either the pole or the wall with a terrific impact, authorities said.

Mr. Leach was found lying on the shoulder of the highway, about three feet from the edge of the road and about 70 feet from the car.

Lawrence G. Kingsley, 704 Arsenal street, driving a bread truck, came upon the scene of the accident shortly afterward. The truck was the first vehicle to arrive there. Mr. Kingsley, accompanied by William Gale of Depauville, brought Mr. Leach to the hospital in the truck. Mr. Gale then proceeded to the sheriff’s office to inform authorities of the accident.

Although no actual witnesses of the accident were found, Sheriff Peck said that several village residents heard the crash. Their statements were that they did not see the car.

The first person to arrive at the scene of the accident was Frank Bailey, who operates a gasoline station nearly opposite the scene.

Mr. and Mrs. Bailey, Eugene Albertson, Edwin Dwyer, who also operates a gasoline station in the village, and Mrs. Dwyer made statements to the county authorities.

Deputy Sheriff Fred V. Jackson was the first officer on the scene. He was later joined by Sheriff Peck and Deputy Stadler, who assisted in the investigation.

Mr. Jones is a salesman for Griffin Roofing and Contracting company of this city. The car he was driving was purchased a few weeks ago.

The accident, occurring in Depauville’s business section, was the second automobile fatality in Jefferson county in two days. Oliver M. Beckstead, 46, Mannsville, was fatally injured Tuesday when he was struck by a car driven by William R. Smith, 73, of Sandy Creek as he was walking across the state highway about two miles south of Adams.


Native of Gouverneur.

Mr. Leach was born at Gouverneur, Oct. 13, 1859, a son of the late Andrew and Julia Smith Leach. He was married to Ida Gill on Feb. 24, 1889, at Richville. She died in July, 1901.

Mr. Leach had lived in Depauville for about 25 years. He formerly resided for a short time in Watertown, coming to this city from Gouverneur, and moving to Depauville from here.

He had been janitor of the Depauville High school for about seven years.

Surviving him are two daughters, Mrs. Perl Spencer, Depauville, and Mrs. Milton Anderson, Clayton; a sister, Mrs. Emily Gillette, with whom he resided; a half-sister, Mrs. Jesse Collins, city, and three grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held at the Gillette home at 1 Sunday afternoon and burial will be made at Gouverneur two hours later. Rev. Clark Robinson, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of Harrisville, will officiate.


Miss Margaret McBride To Wed
Will Become Bride of John W. Scanlin of This City

Photo: Miss Margaret F. McBride

Mr. and Mrs. C. A. McBride, 219 St. Mary street, announce the engagement of their daughter, Miss Margaret F. McBride, to John W. Scanlin, son of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd J. Scanlin, 714 Washington street.

Miss McBride is a graduate of the Watertown High school, class of 1941, where she was valedictorian of her class. She attended the Watertown branch of the Rochester Business Institute and is employed as secretary in the office of the North Junior High school.

Mr. Scanlin is a graduate of the Watertown High school, class of 1941. Before entering the United States Marine corps three years ago he was employed at the New York Air Brake company in this city. He spent 26 months in the Pacific war area and received his discharge in January. He is again employed at the New York Air Brake company.


83-Year Old City Merchant Makes Flight to New York
Recognizing that aviation is here to stay, Jacob Lebovsky, 83, of 1136 State street, made his first trip in an airplane Tuesday, flying by Empire Airlines, Inc., from Watertown to New York city.

Mr. Lebovsky, for more than 53 years a Watertown merchant, enjoyed his airplane trip. He went to New York on a buying visit.


Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Austin, Wed for 25 Years, Honored (6-1-1946)
A surprise party was held on Sunday night at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Harry H. Austin, of 725 Mill street, in honor of their 25th wedding anniversary, which was on Friday. More than 40 close friends, neighbors and relatives attended. Cards were played during the evening following which lunch was served. Mr. and Mrs. Austin were presented with a silver purse, containing silver coins. Mr. Austin is general manager of the J. J. Morrison Furniture company and for more than 25 years has been identified in the furniture business in this city.

They have three sons, James, Robert and Stephen, and one daughter, Miss Dorothea Austin. James and Robert were recently discharged from the service, the former being in the navy air corps and the latter in the army. Both served overseas. Mr. and Mrs. Austin were married at the Church of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart on June 14, 1921. Mrs. Austin is the former Miss Edythe Hennessey.


Robert D. Guzewich, Adams,
Assistant County Agent
Robert D. Guzewich of Adams, a former captain in the army air corps who was associated with the training of aerial gunners during the war and was released from active duty Feb. 18 after 45 months of army service, has been appointed assistant county agricultural agent to work with W. Oscar Sellers, county agent, and Frank Colling, an assistant county agricultural agent. His office will be in the county agricultural agent’s office in the Federal building.

Mr. Guzewich was graduated from the Adams High school and from the College of Agriculture of Cornell university with the class of 1941. He was employed by the Farm Security Administration at Watkins Glen, Schuyler county, before entering the service as an enlisted man May 3, 1942. He was a weather observer before enrollment in Officers Candidate school at Bolling Field, Washington, D. C. Upon graduation he served as instructor and administration officer in the Eastern Training Area, chiefly at Buckingham Field, For Meyers, Fla. He received his commission as captain in August, 1944.

He is a member of the Alpha Gamma Rho social fraternity of Cornell. His mother, Mrs. Seymour M. Guzewich, resides at Adams. His father is dead.


Photo: Miss Mary H. Phillips
Receives Degree
Miss Mary H. Phillips, former Watertown teacher now on leave of absence granted by the board of education, has enrolled for graduate work at Teachers college, Columbia university. Miss Phillips, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George W. Phillips, 627 Thompson street, received her bachelor of science degree from the college this month and after a three-day visit at home began her work for a master’s degree. She has been employed by Eastern Air Lines during her study and expects to become an airplane instrument instructor.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

(headline missing)
Clayton, June 29. -- Mr. and Mrs. Thomas B. Stoel, jr., with their children, Tommy and Caroline, Portland, Ore., are visiting Mr. Stoel’s mother here for three weeks.

His sister, Mrs. Edwin Abrahamsen, with her daughter, Karen, returned to Ludlow, Vt., after visiting at their mother’s home here.

A brother, Robert Stoel, who received his master of arts degree from Harvard university this month, has returned to Boston, Mass., after a short visit at the family home here.

The sisters of Mrs. Stoel, sr., and aunts of Thomas and Robert Stoel and Mrs. Abrahamsen, Miss Daisy Lepper, Glen Cover, and Miss Hazel Lepper, Watertown, are not at their summer home at Smithford.


The Lloyd MacFarland Case.

To The Times:
I desire to make the following statement regarding the disappearance of Lloyd MacFarland who went duck hunting a week ago Sunday morning and failed to return:

Mr. Cosselman, a neighbor on Pillar Point where the lad went duck hunting saw a man operating a boat on the bay. Stepping back in his cottage after his coat, on his return outside, he found boat and man had vanished from sight. About the same time Mr. and Mrs. Herrick also saw a man in a boat through a gap between two buildings on the point. While watching him, he seemed to try to pick something out of the water. He passed the gap between the buildings and although they watched for some time he failed to come out from behind the building. Neither Mr. Cosselman nor Mr. and Mrs. Herrick saw the man wave his hands for aid. This was some time around one o’clock.

Then Mr. Cosselman crossed over to Mr. Fred Utter, who rents boats, and found out Mr. Utter had rented a boat to a stranger about noon. All he knew was the man had been there before with a Mr. Nichols from Watertown. Upon ‘phoning Mr. Nichols, they found out the man to be Lloyd MacFarland of Depauville. Mr. Nichols in turn ’phoned Sternberg’s garage at Depauville and learned from Rolla MacFarland, brother of Lloyd, who happened to be in the garage, that Lloyd had gone hunting that morning.

Then Rolla and Floyd Gould, a friend, went over to the point to learn particulars. As soon as Marcus MacFarland, the boy’s father, learned about the believed drowning, he and Fred Gould went over. Also Deputy Sheriff R. L. Johndrow and partner from Watertown were there. The neighbors on Point Salubrious and Pillar Point also helped to search the shores and two small islands outside. Floyd Gould wanted his brother, Fred, to go with him to Cherry Island that night but not being familiar with the waters the older brother thought the sea too great to go then. So it was left till morning.

Next morning although the bay was still rough, the Gould brothers obtained two boats and Roy Gale and Wallace Solar volunteered to go with them, rowed to Cherry Island and searched the shores, finding nothing. Friends of Marcus MacFarland from Depauville, Chaumont and neighbors from Point Salubrious and Pillar Point aided in the search of the shores of Pillar Point, Point Salubrious and Three Mile point. Late in the afternoon a missing oar was found in Adams’ Cove not far from where MacFarland rented the boat. Tuesday nothing resulted from their search. Wednesday they searched the same shores including north shore and Point Peninsula. At dusk that day Mr. E. D. Williams of Watertown discovered an object frozen in the ice off the shore of Guffins Bay. Mr. Williams and Mr. Arthur Fuller of Adams, father-in-law of the missing boy, started in a boat to examine the object. Thinking of his son-in-law, being drowned in the bay, Mr. Fuller lost his nerve and had Mr. Williams take him ashore. But Mr. Williams, anxious to find out what the object was, broke ice out to it alone. There he found a boat over-turned in the ice. Not being able to bring it ashore alone, Frank Jiles (sic) waded out on a rift of rocks and helped him break the boat loose and bring it ashore. There Mr. Utter identified the boat as the one he rented MacFarland Sunday.

Thursday morning grappling arrangements were made. At noon Henry Gould and son, Harry, went out to where the youth was last seen to grapple. Roy Gale and Fred Gould started to grapple in Guffins Bay and later went over to where the others were. Howard Norton and E. D. Williams grappled in the same place and late in the afternoon discovered the touque (sic) of the missing lad on their grappling iron. Before they could get it out of the water and into the boat, they lost it. On Friday grappling was continued with ten boats with no results.

Saturday eleven boats grappled. The last thing before coming ashore, Sheriff Frank Walrath and Mr. William Hall in one boat and Harry Gould and Mr. Bruce Ackerman in another boat using a large grapple, pulled in their iron to go ashore and found the touque (sic) on it. Sunday 13 boats helped in grappling and the search was unrewarded. Today the men expect to dynamite.

Marcus MacFarland arranged the tools and things for the men to use. Mr. and Mrs. Herrick served dinner to the men working. Mr. Utter opened his store for the men to get warm and his buildings for tools and boats for the men.

Sternberg Brothers of Depauville furnished a truck to take boats from Point Salubrious to Pillar Point.

A Subscriber
Depauville, N. Y.


(Special To The Times.)
Depauville, May 18. -- Charles Daab, aged 77 years, a well known resident of this village, died at his late residence this morning at 7:20 following a long illness.

Mr. Daab was born in Germany, a son of the late George and Jeannette Daab. When 16 years of age, he came to this country. For a time he resided at Michigan and then in the town of Orleans. For the past 53 years he had resided in the town of Clayton. He was the last of twelve children.

Mr. Daab was first married in 1875 to Miss Elizabeth Dintelman. She died in 1914. He was married in 1916 to Miss Annetta Kissel. Besides Mrs. Annetto (sic) Kissel Daab, his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Elizabeth Daab and Miss Elnora Daab of this vicinity.

For 24 years Mr. Daab operated a farm in this section. He was a member of the Lutheran church and of the Depauville grange No. 59.

Funeral services will be held from the late residence on Monday afternoon at 2. Rev. Arthur Lawrence, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Interment will be made in the Depauville cemetery.


Photo: (handwritten identification and no text) “Irene Toper, Pres. Tri-Y 6-1-46”


Machines Collide Head on at Hill Curve North of Antwerp
Brought to House Of Good Samaritan Immediately After the Accident
Mrs. Edith Clark, Gouverneur, Has Possible Skull Fracture
-- Frances Norton, 15, Has Fractured Skull and Scalp Wounds
-- Two Children Have Fractured Arms.

Eight persons were injured about 10:45 this morning, when two heavy sedans crashed head-on about a mile north of Antwerp, on the Antwerp-Gouverneur highway. Two were seriously injured, one with a fractured skull, the other with a bad scalp wound and possible fractured skull. Three others had scalp wounds, fractures, and lacerations, while the remainder escaped with slight injuries.

The cars were driven by Olin W. Clark, Gouverneur, and John A. Bradley, 54, 115 Warren avenue, Kenmore, N. Y., a suburb of Buffalo.

The injured are: Mrs. Edith Clark, wife of Olin W. Clark, Gouverneur, scalp wound from the right eye to the back of her head, and possible fracture of the skull, other cuts and bruises.

Frances Norton, 15, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. W. Norton, Depauville, fractured skull, scalp wound, cuts and bruises.

John Norton, 12, a brother of Frances, fractured right shoulder, fractured left arm, scalp wound and cuts and bruises.

Ola Rosemary Clark, 12, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Olin Clark, scalp wound, fractured right arm, cuts and bruises.

H. P. Medley, 135 Ivory street, Pittsburgh, Pa., brought in one of the smaller children and E. G. Rogers, Antwerp, brought in two other injured girls, while Dr. Perrigo carried Mr. and Mrs. Clark, with John Norton.

Mary Isabelle, 4, and Helena Catherine, 6, daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Clark, scalp wounds and minor cuts.

Olin W. Clark, Gouverneur, cut over the right eye, and bruises.

John A. Bradley, Kenmore, slight cut on the head, and right leg bruised.

Persons at the scene of the accident praised the nerve of little John Norton, 12, who after the accident walked around, although he had a fractured right shoulder, fractured left arm, a scalp wound, and a bad laceration of the right knee.

Undersheriff Harrington, who arrived later, took Mr. Bradley to the county jail where his injuries were treated. Questioned regarding the cause of the accident, Mr. Bradley said, “We came round the curve and came together. That’s all I know.”

Dr. H. G. Farmer attended the injured at the hospital. Dr. J. R. Pawling took X-ray pictures of Mrs. Clark to determine if there was a possible fracture of the skull.

Mr. and Mrs. Clark, and children, with the two Norton children as guests, were on route to Watertown to attend a reunion of the Clark family at Thompson Park, when the collision occurred. Mr. Bradley, accompanied by a small dog, was en route to Pittsburgh on a fishing trip.

The accident occurred near the Oxbow-Antwerp crossing, where there is a slight curve, although the road is wide at the point. County authorities believe that both drivers, being cautious were driving near the center of the road. Both cars were wrecked.

Many Antwerp people were soon at the scene, and attempts to locate state troopers were unavailable. Sheriff F. D. Walrath was notified, and sent Undersheriff Leroy D. Harrington and Deputy Ray Johndrow to investigate.

Dr. W. S. Perrigo, Antwerp, chairman of the board of supervisors, arrived and gave first aid. He ordered the injured taken to the House of the Good Samaritan. H. A. Northrop, Antwerp, with Roy Eggleston, brought Rosemary Clark to the hospital.


Wife of John R. Babcock Succumbs At Depauville
Married in 1862 to Mr. Babcock
--Lived at Depauville For 50 Years
--Celebrated 66th Anniversary in February.
(Special To The Times.)

Depauville, May 14. -- Mrs. Mary Loan Babcock, 82, wife of John R. Babcock, well known resident of this village, died at 12:15 a.m. today following a lingering illness. Death was due to cancer of the stomach.

Mrs. Babcock was born Sept. 29, 1846, at Alexandria, near Redwood. Prior to her marriage she lived for several years in this city.

She was married to Mr. Babcock at Theresa, Feb. 28. 1862, by Colonel Fisher, justice of the peace. The couple first lived for about a year on Mr. Babcock’s parent’s farm and then started housekeeping in a log house on the Babcock farm. About 50 years ago they moved to Depauville living there since. Mr. Babcock, who celebrated his 90th birthday in October, was active in the cheese industry owning several factories. He has been retired for more than 30 years. He was also active in the Masonic order.

The couple celebrated their 66th anniversary last February in Depauville. Although for many years they had come to Watertown fore the celebration to be with their daughter, Mrs. John L. McKinley, ill health confined both to the home last February.

Surviving besides her husband and two daughters, Mrs. McKinley and Mrs. Frank Devendorf, Watertown; two grandchildren, Mrs. Laurentine Ball, city and Mrs. Gladys Jewett, Burrville; and one great-grandchild, Miss Eunice Ball, city.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday, May 16, at Depauville, from the home at 1:30 and from the Baptist church at 2. Rev. A. E. Lawrence, pastor of the Baptist church, will officiate. Interment will be in the family plot at Depauville cemetery.


(photo included) -
Was Retired Cheese Manufacturer Of Depauville

John R. Babcock, 93, Depauville, retired cheese manufacturer, died at 12:15 this afternoon in Mercy hospital where he was admitted on April 1 with a fracture of the right leg suffered in a fall at his home the day before.

While he had been in a serious condition when admitted to the hospital, Mr. Babcock's condition was considered to be fair Saturday and Sunday. Monday his condition became critical and early this morning he lost consciousness.

Until time of the accident, Mr. Babcock had been in his usual health. He was sitting on the edge of the bed in his bedroom when he rose and started to walk to his chair in the living room. After taking but a few steps, he suffered a dizzy spell and fell to the floor. Dr. Frank Henne of Clayton first attended him and the next day he was taken to the hospital where examination by Dr. H. N. Cooper showed that Mr. Babcock’s leg was fractured in the upper part of the thigh, just below the hip.

Mr. Babcock was born Oct. 26, 1837, on the old Babcock homestead in the town of Alexandria, about three miles from Alexandria Bay, the son of the late Rhodes H. and Melissa Babcock. His father owned one of the largest farms in the town. His education was received in the district schools of that town.

At the age of about 20 Mr. Babcock engaged in the cheesemaking business and for many years was one of the outstanding cheesemakers of the north country. The first cheese factory in the town of Clayton was established by him and before his retirement he built and owned several others.

After being active in the industry ever since he engaged in it, Mr. Babcock retired from the cheesemaking business about 35 years ago and since had been inactive.

Mr. Babcock was one of the oldest Masons in the state, having been a member of the order for nearly 70 years. He belonged to the Depauville lodge of Masons and for more than ten years served that body as its master.

For many years he was also a member of the Watertown Produce Exchange, which disbanded recently. He also belonged to the Depauville grange; Depauville Chapter, Order of Eastern Star; and the Free Baptist church of Depauville.

Mr. Babcock married Miss Mary Elizabeth Loan of the town of Alexandria, a daughter of the late William and Elizabeth Loan, on Feb. 28, 1862. The ceremony was performed at Theresa by Colonel Fisher, justice of the peace. For about a year after the marriage the couple resided with Mr. Babcock’s parents.,

Later they resided on the Babcock farm until about 50 years ago when they moved to Depauville. Mrs. Babcock died May 14, 1928.

Surviving are two children, Mrs. Libbie Devendorf of Depauville, with whom he resided, and Mrs. John L. McKinley, 408 South Massey street; a sister, Mrs. (unclear) Herrick of Alexandria Bay; three grandchildren, Mrs. Laurentine Ball, 514 Gotham street, city, Mrs. A. W. Jewett of Burrville and Clifford V. Mount, 408 South Massey street. A granddaughter, Eunice I Ball, city, also survives.

(The date of Mr. Babcock’s obit was 4-9-1931 - as determined from another source.)


STROKE IS FATAL TO MAN, AGED 66 (Augustus Schnauber - d. 12-11-1936)
(Special to The Times)

Depauville, Dec. 11. -- Augustus E. Schnauber, 66, died suddenly this morning at 10:45 at his home in this village following a stroke.

Mr. Schnauber appeared in his usual health when he arose this morning but shortly afterward suffered a stroke and died. With him when he was stricken ill was a sister, Mrs. Charles Lowe of this village.

Mr. Schnauber was born in the town of Clayton, Nov. 16, 1870, a son of Augustus and Elizabeth Swind Schnauber. On Oct. 4, 1893, he married Miss Maggie Putnam, at her home in the town of Clayton, Rev. T. A. Storie performing the ceremony. His wife died Jan. 12, 1934. (sic)

He was a member of the Depauville Methodist Episcopal church, Depauville grange and the Depauville Masonic lodge. His entire life had been spent in this vicinity. He followed the occupation of farming until 20 years ago, when he retired and came to this village where he resided at his present home until the time of his death.

Surviving are two sisters, Mrs. Charles Lowe of this village and Mrs. J. M. Linnell of Clayton and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be held Monday at 2 p.m. from the home, Rev. Albert Walker, pastor of the Depauville Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Interment will be made in the Depauville cemetery.

Note from Typist’s Records: Maggie Schnauber died January 12, 1935, not 1934.


Local and state police have been asked to institute a search for Gregory M. Burgess, 33, of Rockaway Beach, L. I., who disappeared at 10:15 Friday night, while he was attending a movie at the Avon theater with his wife.

Police were notified Saturday of the man’s disappearance by his 23-year-old wife who said she was left without funds at the Hotel Woodruff.

Burgess, an accountant, and his wife registered at the hotel Friday morning, the management said. He is a brother of Dr. A. W. Burgess of Mexico and his mother, Mrs. Nina Burgess, has a summer cottage near Clayton.

Mrs. Burgess said her husband got up in the theater, excused himself and left. She said she has not seen him since.


Donald Radley of Lafargeville, leader and member of the Gunns Corners All Round Gang 4-H club, has received a red ribbon and cash award for his score of 515 out of a possible score of 600 in the New York state 4-H photographic cow judging contest in which there were 2,700 participants, it was announced today by George H. Earl, jr., county 4-H agent. Mr. Radley was the high winner for Jefferson county with other awards going to Lowell Thomas of the Pillar Point Hustlers 4-H club and Gerald Borland of the Wilna 4-H club.

The contest included cattle judging from pictures of four cows in each of five dairy breeds Holstein, Ayrshire, Jersey, Guernsey, and Brown Swiss and a set of written reasons on one breed.

Photo: “Watertown Residents In St. Petersburg” - Watertown visitors get together down in St. Petersburg, Fla., the Sunshine City, far from even the suggestion of winter’s snow and ice. Left to right, they are: Wallace S. Quencer, who for 21 years has been wintering here, Louis W. Moore, and Mayor John G. Harris.


He Expires In Florida Of Heart Trouble
Funeral Services Will Be Held on Saturday Afternoon at 2:30 From the Residence
--Mr. Moore Was Long Associated With Father, W. H. Moore, in Five and Ten Cent Business

(Photo of deceased, included)

Louis W. Moore, of 271 Clinton street, died Monday morning at Daytona Beach, Fla., where he had passed the winter months with his wife and two sons. Death was caused from a heart condition. Mr. Moore was 57 years of age.

Mr. Moore had not enjoyed good health for some time. He suffered also from asthma and was forced to pass the winter months in a warmer climate.

When he left the city last fall for the south he was in poor health. He suffered many serious heart attacks while in Florida and his condition was reported critical several times. Last week he was stricken ill again.

The body will arrive in this city Friday at 6:45 a.m. and services will be held from the Moore residence at 271 Clinton street Saturday at 2:30 p.m., the Rev. Francis W. Eason, D.D., rector of Trinity Episcopal church, officiating. Interment will be made in the family plot at Brookside cemetery.

Mr. Moore maintained offices in the Woolworth building where he looked after his extensive interests. While in the city he motored down town each day and visited his offices.

Mr. Moore was long associated with his father in the five-and-ten cent business both here and in Schenectady. The firm was W. H. Moore. It was in the old Moore & Smith store here that the first five-and-ten cent counter was established. Frank W. Woolworth, a young employe of the Moore & Smith store, asked for permission to set up a counter and try and dispose of some of the articles that were held over from year to year in the inventory.

Mr. Moore gave his permission and there was started the five-and-ten cent store idea. As Mr. Woolworth developed the stores Mr. Moore and L. W. Moore established the same character of store here and one at Schenectady and carried it on with success until it was taken into the F. W. Woolworth company when it was formed in 1912. W. H. Moore and L. W. Moore were extensive stockholders in the new company. When the syndicate was formed they turned over to it their two companies but they continued their connection with the new corporation. For years L. W. Moore had an office in the Woolworth block in this city.

Louis W. Moore was born Aug. 27, 1873, in this city, a son of William Harvey and Etta Gannett Moore. His mother died in 1899 and his father expired in 1916. The Moore residence was located at 237 Mullin street.

He was married to Miss Rae Willard, daughter of the late Dr. and Mrs. E. S. Willard, April 1, 1915. The wedding was solemnized at the Willard residence at 267 Ten Eyck street.

Mr. and Mrs. Moore resided at the Moore residence at 237 Mullin street until 1920 when they purchased the residence of Mrs. George B. Kemp, at 271 Clinton street where they established their residence.

Mr. Moore had been active in the affairs of Trinity church and for many years was treasurer of the church school. He also served on the board of managers of Trinity church for many years and resigned this position about a year ago.

He was interested in the affairs of Rotary and attended several of the International Rotary conventions. In 1922 with Mrs. Moore he attended the International Rotary convention at Los Angeles. In 1926 with Frederick F. Bugbee, Mrs. Charles Learned, Hallam Learned, and Mrs. Moore, he attended the International Rotary convention at Denver. His father also was an active member of the Rotary club.


Item: Mrs. W. H. Jewett and her daughter, Miss Eleanor Jewett, 510 Clay street, returned this week after having spent ten days visiting Mr. and Mrs. Roger K. Jewett at their summer home at Clinton, Conn., on Long Island sound.


Prominent Retired Surgeon Had Been in Ill Health Two Years
Retired in 1929 After Practicing For More Than 45 Years
He Came to Watertown in 1898 From Park City, Utah, Where He Was Located for 13 Years
---He Was Native of Hammond and Widely Known.
(Photo included)

Dr. Gilbert David Gregor, 72, of 453 Flower avenue west, prominent retired surgeon, died at 1:45 this afternoon at the House of the Good Samaritan where he had been a patient since March 11 and where he had undergone an operation on March 13 for acute gall bladder disease. Dr. Gregor had been in ill health for two years.

On Sept. 28, 1928, Dr. Gregor suffered a severe heart attack in his office in the Woolworth building. He was taken to the House of the Good Samaritan where he remained for several days receiving treatment. The following May he was again admitted to the House of the Good Samaritan to receive treatment following a heart attack.

Dr. Gregor had practiced his profession for more than 45 years, specializing in surgery. In 1929 he retired.


Peter Martin Mallette, infant son of Felix V. and Doris L. Soules Mallette, 642 Lansing street, died this morning at 9 in the Mercy hospital. He was less than two days old, having been born at the hospital Saturday afternoon at 2.

Surviving him, besides his parents, are his maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. William Soules, 642 Lansing street.

The body was removed to the Northam & Fox Funeral home.

Burial will be made in North Watertown cemetery Tuesday morning.


(photo included)

Evans Mills, May 24 (46) -- Mrs. Lewis LaFleur, San Jose, Calif., announces the engagement of her daughter, Miss Patricia M. Crossley, 118 North Pleasant street, Watertown, to Robert J. Snyder, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Snyder, 622 Grant street, Watertown.

Miss Crossley, who resides with Mr. and Mrs. Donald Scammell, Watertown, is a member of the June graduating class of Evans Mills High school.

No date has been set for the wedding.


Charles Kirby, 70, Dies of Injuries As Frightened Team Makes Mad Dash
Although Man Was Conscious When Found He Was Unable To
Tell What Frightened Team
(Special to The Standard)

CLAYTON, Aug. 11. -- Charles Kirby, aged about 70, of Depauville, died this morning shortly before 8 o’clock as a result of injuries sustained when his team of horses ran away, throwing him to the ground. Mr. Kirby suffered a fractured skull and internal injuries which caused his death about 15 minutes after the accident while he was being taken to a physician’s office.

The cause of the team running away is a mystery. Mr. Kirby had taken his milk to the station some distance from his home and was returning to his home. He was thrown some distance from the wagon as the horses started on their mad dash, landing on his head and shoulders.

William Haas, who lives near Mr. Kirby, came along and took Mr. Kirby into his wagon driving Dr. Frederick Dale’s office. (as written) Mr. Kirby was dead however, before the office was reached. It is believed Mr. Kirby might have survived had he been a younger man, but his age, combined with the injuries, proved too much.

The horses badly frightened, were caught some distance down the road. Although Mr. Kirby was conscious after being picked up, he was unable to say anything about the fatality and could not say what frightened the team.

Mr. Kirby had lived at Depauville for the past 35 years, having gone there from Canada. He is survived by his wife, two sons, Edward of Lafargeville and Charles of Dover, Delaware; two daughters, Mrs. Howard Lee and Mrs. John Vogt, both of Depauville.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete.


Miss Clara M. French of Theresa, a missionary of the Methodist church to China for a number of years, will address the women of the Woman’s Society of Christian Service at the First Methodist church Wednesday afternoon at 2. Miss Grace Wuu, native of China and a graduate from Ginling Girls college of China and the University of Minnesota, will accompany Miss French and speak of her work.

Members of the WSCS of Bethany and Asbury churches will attend. Luncheon will be served at 1 p.m. Following the luncheon will be the program and business meeting.

The program is in charge of Mrs. R. W. Anthony, assisted by Mrs. F. A. Miller and Mrs. Eli Sheitz. Mrs. William Bartram is in charge of the luncheon.


Purchase Home (1946)
Dexter, Aug. 31. -- Mr. and Mrs. Jay Ormsby of Dexter have completed the purchase of the home of Fred Muldoon, Grove street, and will reside there in the near future. Mr. Ormsby has been employed for a number of years as foreman for the Dexter Sulphite Pulp and Paper company and will retain his position.

LINGENFELTER -- At Depauville, Oct. 10, 1936, John W. Lingenfelter, retired farmer, aged 80 years. Funeral from home Wednesday afternoon at 2, Rev. Mr. Walker, pastor of the Methodist church at Depauville, officiating. Interment in family plot at Three Mile Bay.

Item: John Hollywood has returned to the shop after serving in the Armed Forces. Welcome back, John.

Item: Mrs. Blanche Peters Randall, Adams Center, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Earle Peters, 785 Starbuck avenue, is resting comfortably following an operation at the Mercy hospital Sunday.

Item: James J. Weldon, who has been confined to his home, 513 Washington street, for the past seven weeks, is able to be up and to take short walks out-of-doors.


Mabel Haggerty, 14, St. Lawrence Corners, Dies
Fatality Occurs on Dexter-Limerick Concrete Highway as Girl
and Her Sister Are Being Driven to Their Home By Jacob Klock, Limerick

Mabel Haggerty, 14, of St. Lawrence corners, near Depauville, met death Thursday evening about 10 shortly after she had fallen from an automobile on the Dexter-Limerick highway. After the accident, which happened about 9:45, the girl was taken to the home of Dr. G. A. Foote of Dexter, where she died. It is believed that death resulted from a fractured skull caused when the girl’s head hit the concrete highway.

At the time of the accident the girl was riding in a coupe with Jacob Klock and her sister. The three, who attend school in Dexter, had stayed over to attend a motion picture show in the evening. Following the show, Klock, who resides in Limerick, was taking the two girls to their home.

According to the story that Klock told Dr. Foote, the door of the couple suddenly opened and Mabel Haggerty, who was riding on the right side of the seat fell from the car. Klock stopped the machine as quickly as possible and with the girl’s sister hurried back and picked her up. She was unconscious at the time. Klock turned his machine around and drove to Dr. Foot’s home in Dexter.

Dr. Foote said when the girl was brought to his house she was still alive. There was a faint pulse beat. Dr. Foote administered treatment but the girl died within a few minutes.

Sheriff Eugene L. Burton went to Dexter Thursday night to investigate the fatality. The body was removed to the Chidester undertaking rooms in Dexter.

“I can’t understand how the car door ever opened,” said Jacob Klock, the driver.

“As soon as she fell, I applied my brakes and brought the car to a standstill. We were going down a little hill and I do not believe we stopped as quickly, as we would have on the level, but the machine did not go far,” the youth said while talking at the office of Sheriff Eugene L. Burton. The sheriff and Deputy Sheriff John Gowing, who both investigated the accident also claims that the car was stopped within a short distance of where there were marks, showing that the Haggerty girl had struck.

“We came out of the movies at Dexter and I was going to take Mabel and her sister, Florence, to their home. I walked out with Florence and Mabel came out with another boy friend, who went to the car with us. The three of us got into the machine and then the young man that was with Mabel, slammed the door and then left.

“I started on my way back to Limerick and from there I was going to St. Lawrence Corners. It was just a short distance outside the corporation limits of Dexter, where the accident happened. At the time, I believe, I was driving about 30 miles an hour. The marks on the tires of my car will show how quickly I stopped and there were also marks on the road, showing where I applied the brakes.

“At the time the door suddenly flew open and Mabel fell out, we were talking about the movies and how we enjoyed the show. None of us had been quarreling.

The sister of the dead girl also stated that they had been talking about the show during the trip home. She told the same story as did young Klock about the party leaving the theatre and getting into the machine to start for their home.

“After we had gotten into the car and the other young man had shut the door, I think that all of us took a look to see if the door was tightly closed,” said the sister of the girl. “It was closed and I do not know how it ever opened.

“The only thing I can remember we were talking about was the show. I am sure that nothing was said about anyone attempting to get out of the car, because of a quarrel. At the time Mabel fell from the machine she was riding on the side toward the door and I was in the middle. The handle for the door is toward the front of the machine as the door swings out.

“It must have been that she was sitting up on the edge of the seat and in some way her hand came in contact with the handle of the door and when it swung open the car was moving and she fell out and hit her head on the concrete.”

When Klock was in the sheriff’s office this morning with the dead girl’s sister, he made out a report of the accident for the state department and Sheriff Burton took his operator’s license until the automobile bureau makes some ruling in the case regarding the suspension or revocation of the operation of the operator’s license.

Florence Haggerty, the sister of Mabel, is 19. She attends training school at Dexter, while Mabel was in her second year in high school.

According to Sheriff Burton, the girl, who fell from the car, suffered a deep gash in the back of her head and she also had a fractured skull. The sister and Klock told the county authorities this morning that after they picked the girl up she never regained consciousness. The mark in the road, where the girl struck, showed that if she had fallen about a half foot farther from the car, she would have landed in a soft muddy shoulder of the road and probably would have escaped with minor injuries.

Charles and Roland McLean of Limerick, who were in a car behind the Klock couple, stooped their car and helped pick the girl up after the accident.

The sheriff notified Assistant District Attorney Howard B. Donaldson this morning.


Two Depauville boys, who disappeared from their homes Saturday, were picked up by state police at Hamburg, near Buffalo, Monday afternoon, according to notice Sheriff Brayton E. Peck received today.

The boys--Robert Walker, 17, son of Rev. and Mrs. A. W. Walker, Depauville, and Howard Schnauber, 14, son of Mr. and Mrs. Horace Schnauber, who live on a farm near Depauville---were to be returned to their homes today by state police. It is believed that they were headed for Pennsylvania.


(Special to The Times.)
Brownville, Dec. 4. -- Thomas Dwyer, 84, retired farmer, formerly of Depauville, died at 9:30 Thursday evening at his home here after a week’s illness. Death resulted from infirmities of old age.

He was born in the town of Denmark, Lewis county, on Sept. 16, 1852, a son of John and Lucy Walks Dwyer. On Jan. 20, 1879, he married Miss Celia Wright. She passed away in 1902 and in September, 1908, he married Miss Irene Beadle.

Mr. Dwyer was engaged in farming most of his life at Depauville, moving to Brownville 16 years ago after retiring.

Besides his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Amon Putnam of Clayton and Mrs. George Hart of Watertown; two sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth Nims of Clayton and Mrs. Sarah Essington of Brownville, and four brothers, William of Brownville, John of Clayton, and Francis and Myron Dwyer of Depauville, and three grandsons.

The funeral will be held from the home Saturday at 2 p.m., Rev. Herbert Harrison, pastor of the church, and Rev. C. M. Smith, retired minister, officiating. Burial will be in the St. Lawrence cemetery.


Robert Walker, 17, and Howard Schnauber, 14, Depauville boys who ran away from home Saturday to hitch hike to Florida, were back home today, glad that they did not get any father away than they did.

The two boys were picked up at Gowanda, 40 miles south of Buffalo, Tuesday by border patrolmen. They were taken to Hamburg where they were held until Deputy Sheriff Byron McDermott of this city arrived there for them Tuesday night.

McDermott returned to this city later Tuesday night and the boys’ parents took charge of them at the jail. Walker is a son of Rev. and Mrs. A. W. Walker, while Schnauber is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Horace Schnauber, Depauville.

“The boys were glad to get back,” said Sheriff Brayton E. Peck.

Return to Jefferson County Tidbits

Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page