Depauville, Jefferson County, N. Y.

Births . Weddings . Anniversaries .
Graduations . Deaths .
Miscellaneous Community Happenings .

1930s and 1940s

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8


R. O. Spencer and Miss Ellen A. Sill Killed at Crossing
Member and County A. B. C. Board and Rodman Resident Instantly Killed
Fireman Saw Approaching Car and Thought That Driver Would Stop
Authorities Do Not Know Who Was Driving the Machine
--Body of Miss Sill Still in Car When Train Stops
---Mrs. Sill, Mother of Woman Victim, Did Not Go For Ride With Them Because of a Headache.

Ralph O. Spencer, 35, of 130 North Meadow street, member of the Jefferson County Alcoholic Beverage Control board, chairman of the Jefferson County Fresh Air Committee and long a prominent Republican, and Miss Ellen A. Sill, 30, Rodman, were instantly killed at 5:52 Sunday afternoon when the car in which they were riding was struck by an extra train of the New York Central railroad at Ikey’s crossing about a mile west of Adams. The two had planned to be married this summer.

Train Bound South.

The tragedy occurred at the crossing located on a town road about a mile west of the road leading from Watertown-Syracuse state highway to the Pierrepont Manor-Greens Settlement county road.

The train, No. 2131, was bound south for Richland. Mr. Spencer and Miss Sill, traveling west, were driving from the main state highway below Adams on a town road that leads to the Henderson lake shore.

There was much speculation today as to who was driving the automobile. Some of the authorities believe that Miss Sill was behind the wheel of the machine. They point out that Spencer suffered most severe injuries, many bones in his body being broken and parts of his body were crushed. This leads them to believe that he was on the right side when this side was hit by the locomotive. Miss Sill, they say, had no visible injuries other than a crushed chest. It is pointed out that such injuries might have been caused by the steering wheel.

View Obstructed.

Assistant District Attorney Carl J. Hynes, who made the investigation and started an inquest at 9 this morning at his office, stated that the view on the approach to the railroad crossing is partially obstructed by a cluster of cedar trees growing close to the road and the tracks, but indicated that a driver should be able “to see pretty fair.”

Sheriff Brayton E. Peck, who with Deputy Sheriff Donald W. LaBeau, went to the scene of the tragedy to investigate, said that the crossing is about 1,500 feet from the main state highway. The engine, after striking the car, carried the wreckage down the tracks for a distance of about 1,000 feet. The wrecked automobile landed directly in the center of the rails of the crossing.

The body of Mr. Spencer, hurled out of the car, was found lying outside of the tracks, about 25 feet from the automobile. The body was badly crushed and mangled. The body of Miss Sill remained in the car and, according to Sheriff Peck, there were no visible marks of injury on her.

The train consisted only of the engine and a passenger coach. Sheriff Peck said that the train was travelling on a downgrade as it approached the crossing and hit the car full in the center of the right side, pushing it about 1,000 feet, the distance the train continued after the crash.

35 Miles an Hour.

Members of the crew stated that the train was travelling at a speed of about 35 miles an hour. The train crew consisted of Conductor Edward A. Anable of Utica, who was in charge; Engineman Jerry A. McCarthy, Oswego; Fireman F. A. Stark of Oswego and Brakeman H. J. Whaley of Richland.

Fireman Stark is the only known witness of the tragedy. Watching from the left side of the engine--the direction from which the Spencer car was approaching--he saw the car nearing the crossing and, he told authorities, “I thought the car was going to stop.”

The car, he stated, seemed to slow down, but then continued onto the crossing.

W. A. Hamler, division superintendent of the New York Central railroad, said that the engine was returning light from Watertown to Richland and at Richland was to operate a passenger train from there to Utica.

The car in which Ralph O. Spencer, 35, city, and Miss Ellen A. Sill, 30, Rodman, were riding at the time the railroad train struck it at Ikey’s Corners near Adams Sunday afternoon was traveling at a speed of only 15 or 20 miles an hour, Roy A. Stark of Oswego, fireman of the train, testified at an inquest held today by Assistant District Attorney Carl J. Hynes at his office into the deaths of Mr. Spencer and Miss Sill.

In estimating the speed of the Spencer car, the witness said that it was “not any faster” and that the train was proceeding at about 40 miles an hour.

Mr. Hynes said that the inquest will remain open, pending further investigation.

Stark said the train had stopped at Adams Center and slowed down at Adams, but did not stop. Visibility was good, it still being daylight. Whether the headlight on the engine was lighted, he did not know.

The engineman of the train, Jeremiah A. McCarthy, Oswego, was sounding the whistle when Stark, after noticing the Spencer car, called a warning to him.

Stark said that the car was about 200 feet away when he first saw it. The fireman was looking through the front window of the engine cab with his arm resting on the side of the window sill. As he continued to watch the car, he told Mr. Hynes, it did not hesitate.

The engineman, he said, was sounding the whistle for the third time when Stark called to him.

Photo: Ralph O. Spencer

“I hollered, ‘Whoa’, just as loud as I could shout,” Stark said. “Then the engineer applied the emergency brake.”

“Slowed down?”, asked Mr. Hynes.

“I figured it slowed down and I thought the car was going to get across. They passed out of my vision at the moment we hit them.”

“The brake was continually being applied until the point where the engine came to a stop?”, Mr. Hynes asked.

“Yes, sir.”

The witness added that the major portion of the engine was over the crossing at the time of the crash.

Deputy Sheriff Donald W. LaBeau, the first witness at the inquest, said that the wrecked automobile was directly on the tracks. The Spencer car, he said, was traveling in a northerly direction and that the train was going in a westerly direction. The deputy said he found a man’s hat, presumably Spencer’s, 200 feet from the car.

Deputy LaBeau said the crossing was “bushy” on both sides. He told Mr. Hynes he expected to visit the scene of the tragedy again today to make more observations, regarding measurements.

He said that Stark told him it appeared to him as if the car had stopped and was waiting for the train and that the firemen also stated that he did not believe the car would have time to get across and that it would hit the engine. Deputy LaBeau said that he was told the train, bound for Utica, had “lost quite a bit of time in Adams.”

Sheriff Brayton E. Peck, who investigated with Deputy LaBeau, testified that the crossing is 1,500 (incomplete).

The train which struck the Spencer car had just brought a train load of empty milk cars into Watertown from Richland. It then turned around here and headed for Richland again.

“The county highway is not heavily travelled,” said Mr. Hamler, who questioned members of the crew this morning. “Mr. Stark claims that the view is obstructed by trees and brush. He saw the car coming right along, not very fast. It looked to him as if they were going to stop.”

Engine Whistle Sounded.

“The engine whistle was sounding and still being sounded at the time of the accident and the engine bell was also being sounded,” said Mr. Hamler.

Train 2131 is a special on Sundays out of Utica to make milk collections.

James F. Spencer, father of Mr. Spencer, is a train baggageman for the New York Central railroad. He was on passenger train 708 from Massena to Syracuse which left here at 6:17 Sunday night. Notified of his son’s death when the train arrived in Adams at 6:45 p.m., he was relieved of duty and proceeded to the scene of the accident.

The father told Mr. Hynes that his son, Ralph, and Miss Sill had friends in the section toward which they were headed at the time of the fatality.

Mr. Spencer said that Ralph attended church with his mother Sunday morning and after dinner at the family home he left, presumably for the Sill home at Rodman.

At the Sill home today it was said that Miss Sill had gone to Rodman Sunday afternoon for choir practice and that Mr. Spencer accompanied her to the church. They then returned to the Sill home and planned to go for a drive.

Both Miss Sill and Mr. Spencer asked the former’s mother to accompany them for an automobile ride, but, it was reported, Mrs. Sill excused herself, complaining of a headache and telling the young couple to “go on.” It was said that at the time they were headed for ‘nowhere in particular.”

Dr. E. E. Babcock of Adams Center was called to the scene by Mr. Hynes, who appointed him coroner’s physician in the case. Miss Sill is believed to have died of internal injuries.

The sheriff’s office was notified of the tragedy at 6:25 p.m. Sheriff Peck and Deputy LaBeau left immediately, arriving at the scene at 6:50.

Funeral on Tuesday.

The body of Mr. Spencer was removed to the Howland funeral chapel.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday morning at 10:30 in the Stone Street Presbyterian church. Rev. Dr. Paul F. Boiler, minister of the church, will officiate. Burial will be made in North Watertown cemetery.

Friends may call at the chapel anytime this evening.

The following men, close friends, have been selected to act as bearers at the funeral: Assemblyman Russell Wright, Attorney Henry A. Hudson, Dr. Leonard M. Vincent, W. Grant Mitchell, Henry C. Juby and Leslie M. Cooper.

The body of Miss Sill was removed to the Piddock funeral home and today was removed to the family home at Rodman, where funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2. Rev. Albert G. Todd, pastor of the Congregational church of Rodman, will officiate. Burial will be made in the family plot at Fairview cemetery at Rodman.

Native of Watertown.

Ralph Odell Spencer was born in Watertown, Jan. 28, 1901, a son of James F. and M. Blanche Dupree Spencer. He attended the Arsenal street school and after his graduation from the grammar school he entered the Watertown High school, where he was a student for three years.

Leaving high school, he was employed in the office of the plumbing concern of Farrell & Burkhard for a year. He then obtained a position in the local offices of the St. Lawrence division freight office of the New York Central railroad, where he was a clerk.

At the end of three years in the freight office, he became a clerk in the office of the Taggart Brothers company at Herrings in 1920. Two years later he was made assistant superintendent of the mill and became one of the youngest paper mill executives of this section. He eventually became superintendent of the Taggart Bagmill at Herrings.

Mr. Spencer remained with the Taggart company for seven years until February, 1928, when he accepted a position with the International Paper company as general manager of the company’s mill at Wellsburg, W. Va. He gave up his position as superintendent of the Taggart mill at Herrings and left for his new position in West Virginia on Feb. 14, 1928.

Mr. Spencer remained at Wellsburg for a short time and then was identified with the Gilman Bros. ......(unclear) at Gilman, Vt. .....(lines may be missing).....and then returned to Watertown where he entered the insurance and real estate business.

He was appointed Republican member of the Jefferson county alcoholic beverage control board on April 27, 1935, by Russell Wright, then chairman of the Jefferson county board of supervisors, the appointment becoming effective on May 1. He succeeded former Supervisor Owen R. Owens, fourth ward, who held the office since his appointment May 9, 1933, by former Chairman Perley M. Hall of the supervisors board immediately following the creation of the A. B. C. set-up in this state.

The Democratic member and chairman of the county A. B. C. board is Charles A. Ehrlicher.

Appointment of Mr. Spencer was made from a second list of candidates called for by Mr. Wright from the Jefferson County Medical society, whose duty it was under the state law to make nominations for selection of one of the county A. B. C. board members. The name of Mr. Spencer headed the list.

In 1934, when a state civil service examination was held for executive secretary of the county A. B. C. board, Mr. Spencer led the list with a rating of 85.5 per cent. The appointment went to Joseph H. Healy, Democrat, second on the list, he having served under provisional appointment from the time of repeal.,

Mr. Spencer married Miss Sarah Judith Bergenstock of Milton, Pa., formerly of this city, on June 20, 1926. The ceremony was performed at the Richardson Memorial church in Philadelphia, Pa., by Rev. Dr. Arthur Phillips, an old family friend of the bride. Mrs. Spencer, who was deaconness of Faith Chapel here, died Dec. 29, 1930, in this city.

Mr. Spencer had always been prominent in political circles here, taking a deep and active interest in the affairs of the Republican party, and was a charter member of the Young Men’s Republican club, organized in the fall of 1932. He was a delegate of the local club at the state convention of the organization held last June at Alexandria Bay. He played an important part in the Young men’s Republican club movement.

Prominent in Politics.

For years he was actively identified with city and county political campaigns. Last fall he was manager of John B. Harris’s campaign for re-election to the office of mayor and in 1934 was office manager in Russell Wright’s successful primary campaign for the assembly. He also took active part in the direction of other political campaigns at different times. He was active in the campaign of the spring primary day last Thursday.

Assemblyman Wright, one of Mr. Spencer’s closest friends, hurried to the Spencer home Sunday evening upon hearing of the tragedy.

For several years, he served as a member of the Jefferson County Fresh Air committee and since 1931 he had been general chairman of the committee, succeeding Assemblyman Wright.

As chairman of the Fresh Air committee, he was responsible each summer for all the arrangements in connection with the placing of hundreds of children from the metropolitan districts in Jefferson county homes for summer vacations. He personally supervised their transportation to the north and assigned them to homes in Watertown and various Jefferson county towns.

Mr. Spencer always went to New York to make the necessary arrangements, accompanying the group of children to the north on the train, and also made the plans for their return home after the vacation, returning to New York with them.

Miss Sill on Committee.

Miss Sill had also served as member of the fresh air committee for several years and was one of the county leaders. She usually accompanied Mr. Spencer and other committee members to New York to return north with the children.

Mr. Spencer was an active member of the Stone Street Presbyterian church and of the Y. M. C. A. He was a former president of the Y. M. C. A. public speaking class, an office to which he was elected in December, 1931. He also belonged to the old Exchange club and was a former member of the Watertown Lodge, No. 496, B. P. O. E.

While a member of the Y. M. C. A., where he was active, he took advantage of the opportunity afforded by the Y. M. C. A. night school, taking a course in business administration through the LaSalle university extension service and learning accounting.

Two Children Survive.

Surviving Mr. Spencer, besides his parents, are two children, Russell M. Spencer, 8, and Judith Mae Spencer, 6, and a brother, Horace A. Spencer, city.

Miss Ellen Arleta Sill was born Sept. 18, 1905, at Dry Hill, town of Rodman, and was the only chlid of Mrs. Anna Hunt Gates Sill and the late William E. Sill.

Her father, who died suddenly Sept. 30, 1927, at his home in the town of Rodman, was a prominent Rodman farmer and former chairman of the Jefferson county board of supervisors. He served as supervisor for many years.

Miss Sill belong(ed) to prominent Jefferson county families. Her paternal ancestors came to Rodman from Lyme, Conn., during the War of 1912 (sic). She was a granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Simeon Gates of Rodman.

W. H. S. Graduate.

Miss Sill attended district school and later the Adams Center High school, transferring to the Watertown High school, from which she was graduated in 1923. After her graduation from high school, she entered William Smith college, Geneva, from which she was graduated in June, 1927.

She had always resided at the Sill home at Rodman.

Miss Sill was prominent in Rodman village affairs. She was a (incomplete).

Was Behind Wheel When Car Left Sill Home
Irving Smith, Rodman, First to Arrive at Accident Scene After Train Crew, Testifies at Inquest.

The inquest into the deaths of Ralph O. Spencer, 35, city, and Miss Ellen A. Sill, 30 Rodman, killed Sunday afternoon when the car in which they were riding was struck by a New York Central railroad light train at Ikey’s Crossing, near Adams, was resumed this afternoon by Assistant District Attorney Carl J. Hynes.

The question as to whether Mr. Spencer or Miss Sill was driving the car, a coupe, at the time of the fatality still remained unsolved today, although it is known that Mr. Spencer was behind the wheel when the young couple left the Sill home earlier in the afternoon on the motor trip which ended in death for both.

At the Sill home today relatives of Miss Sill said that her mother and others in the household saw Mr. Spencer get behind the wheel and drive away. Mrs. Sill had declined to accompany them on the trip because of a headache.

Mr. Hynes, resuming the inquest, hoped officially to determine which of the two victims was driving at the time of the accident and to ascertain whether there was any negligence on the part of the engineman of the train, Jeremiah A. McCarthy, Oswego.

Irving M. Smith, Rodman, the first person at the scene of the tragedy besides the members of the train crew, was questioned by Mr. Hynes this afternoon. Mr. Smith said he was returning home from Oswego on the state road from Adams, known as the Ridge road. The highway runs parallel with the railroad tracks. With him were his son, Gordon Smith, and his brother, Kenneth Smith.

“As we came out on the cement up by the Valley filling station onto the macadam,” the witness said, “we noticed a train leaving Adams, coming across the bridge on the curve. We were driving very slow.

“I noticed the train was picking up considerable speed. You could see the smoke by the skyline and I said, ‘When that train comes down by the woods, you will see it going some.’

“We slowed down, expecting to see it come out from behind the woods.”

Mr. Smith said he saw “three or four blasts of smoke shoot up in the air” just about the time that the engine was reaching the crossing or “a little before.” The fact that the “puffs of smoke” were unusually white attracted his attention to the train, he said.

He told the assistant district attorney that “apparently, he blew the whistle very violently.”

“As we came from behind the woods, we noticed the car on the cowcatcher.”

The witness remarked that “we hadn’t heard any whistle for about three-quarters of a mile or a half mile, at least, from the crossing, and the wind was blowing the other way.”

Mr. Smith said that he could not hear the whistle.

The train, he said, was “going exceptionally fast, faster than any ordinary train.”

Fearing that members of his own family were in the car, Smith hurried to the scene, he said, but was unable to identify either of the victims, although he had known Miss Sill since childhood. He found Miss Sill in the car with her arms folded about her. He then hurried to Adams to notify railroad officials of the tragedy.

View “None too Good.”

The view at the crossing from the highway is “none too good,” said the witness, adding that the brush near the crossing should be cut.

He concluded that the occupants of the car might have mistaken the train for a freight train and misjudged its speed.

Mr. Hynes expects to question the other two occupants of the Smith car Thursday morning at 9:30.

R. A. Stark of Oswego, the only member of the train crew who witnessed the accident and saw the car approaching the crossing, said in his testimony Monday that he was unable to determine who was driving the car or how many people were in the car.

The death certificates of Dr. E. E. Babcock of Adams Center, coroner’s physician in the case, show that Miss Sill died of a crushed chest “and multiple fractures widely distributed over the body” and that Mr. Spencer died of a crushed head.

The engine carried the car down the tracks for a distance of about 1,550 feet. He arrived at his estimate by pacing off 351 paces. The car landed on a farm crossing west of the highway crossings, he said.

“The body of Mr. Spencer was found lying outside of the tracks, just outside of the right hand rail as you face Pierrepont Manor, in between two tracks,” said the sheriff. “The body was probably 25 or 30 feet east of the car. Miss Sill was still in the car. She was lying over on a cushion. It seems the cushion was still in the car and on part of the frame of the back, and she was just sitting in there as if just stunned.”

The crossing was bushy on both sides of the highway, said the sheriff, but there was “more on the west than on the east.”

Jeremiah A. McCarthy of Oswego, the engineman, testified that the train, consisting only of the engine and a coach, left Watertown about 4:15 p.m. Sunday. There was a delay of 15 or 20 minutes at Adams Center to wait for an east bound train from the west.

The witness said that “when we were approaching this crossing, I started to blow for the usual crossing signal--two long and two short blasts---and it’s customary when you do that to look over to your fireman to see if he is keeping an eye on his side of the house and he was and he had some kind of an anxious stare as though he were seeing something.”

The engineman was in the act of completing the warning and the engine was about 100 feet from the crossing when Stark “hollered, ‘Whoa’,” he testified. Then, he said, upon hearing Stark’s call, he applied his brake continually until the train came to a stop. He pointed out that it is more difficult to stop a short train.

The weather was a little cloudy, the engineman said, but visibility was good. He testified that he did not see the Spencer car. The headlight of the engine had not been turned on yet.

Edmund A. Anable, Utica, the conductor in charge of the train, was eating lunch in the coach at the time of the accident, he testified at the inquest. The train was travelling at a rate of about 35 miles an hour, he said.

Mr. Anable declared that he heard the whistle. The engineman, he said, gave the signals by sounding sharp blasts of the whistle.

Harry G. Whaley of Richland, the baggageman, said he was in the head end of the coach, heard the whistle shriek four different times and felt the crash, but did not see the accident.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last rites were held this morning at 10:30 in the Stone Street Presbyterian church for Ralph O. Spencer, 35, city, who was instantly killed Sunday afternoon when his car was struck by a train near Adams. Rev. Dr. Paul F. Boller, minister of the church, officiated. Interment was made in North Watertown cemetery. Miss Ellen A. Sill, 30, Rodman, was also killed in the grade crossing tragedy.

The bearers were: Assemblyman Russell Wright, Attorney Henry A. Hudson, Dr. Leonard M. Vincent, W. Grant Mitchell, Henry C. Juby and Leslie M. Cooper. They are all close friends of Mr. Spencer.

The services were largely attended, the church being almost filled, and there were numerous floral tributes in the church.

It was particularly touching as the funeral cortege moved slowly up the aisle of the church to the solemn notes of the organ to see the two little children of the late Mr. Spencer, Russel, 8, and Judith, 6, hand in hand following the casket which contained the body of their father.

Rev. Dr. Boller opened the services by reading Scripture sentences, followed by the invocation and the Lord’s prayer. He then read the hymn, “Guide Me, O, Thou Great Jehovah,” and the familiar poem by Alfred Lord Tennyson, “Crossing the Bar.”

Rev. Mr. Bollinger then read the 23rd psalm and selected portions of the 14th chapter of the Gospel of St. John and the 13th chapter of First Corinthians.

Dr. Boller then gave a prayer which was a remarkable tribute to Mr. Spencer’s personality and character. He mentioned his keen sense of responsibility for the welfare of his children, his earnest work in the church and his leadership in good works, Dr. Boller then read the hymn, “Now the Laborer’s Task is O’er,” and brought the service to a close with the benediction.

The body was taken to North Watertown cemetery, where burial was made in the Spencer family plot beside the grave of his brother, Donald Spencer, 10, who was drowned in the Black river April 15, 1927.

The committal services at the grave were given by Rev. Dr. Boller, assisted by Rev. Mr. Bollinger.

Mr. Spencer, Republican member of the Jefferson county alcoholic beverage control board, chairman of the Jefferson county fresh air committee and long a prominent Republican, was also prominent in the Boy Scout movement in the county. He was a former chairman of the committee of Troop 6 of the Stone Street Presbyterian church and at the time of his death was member of the executive board of the Jefferson-Lewis council and chairman of the troop organization committee of the council.

Funeral services for Miss Sill will be held Wednesday at 2 p.m. at the Sill home at Rodman. Rev. Albert G. Todd, pastor of the Rodman Congregational church, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Fairview cemetery at Rodman.

The following men have been selected to act as bearers at her funeral: S. Herbert Gates, C. Gordon Gates, George Gates, Rodman; Fred W. Sill, Watertown; Allen Sill, Massena, and Frank Mantle, Rodman. All except Mr. Mantle are cousins of Miss Sill.

Photo: Miss Ellen A. Sill.


Donald J. Eberly, son of Mrs. Paul F. Eberly, Henderson Harbor, formerly of this city, and the late Rev. Dr. Eberly, has been accepted at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass. He will enter college in September, majoring in physics.

Mr. Ebery, a graduate of the Watertown High school in January, won a freshman competitive scholarship. He was editor of The Annual, won the honorable mention in the science talent search of the junior Rotarian; worked on the school paper, The Owl, and was a member of the radio quiz team. After graduating from high school, he was employed as a messenger at the Watertown (incomplete).

Item: Mrs. James Patch of Clayton is in the House of the Good Samaritan where she has been a patient since Wednesday. Her condition is improving, it was reported at the hospital this morning, but it is expected that she will remain there for some time. (8-2-46)


LAROSE--BADERMAN -- In this city, Aug. 30, 1946, to Clifford G. LaRose, 121 Davidson street, coremaker, and Miss Elsie M. Baderman, 336 Winslow street, hairdresser.

Kenneth W. Earle, 636 Cooper street, announces the approaching marriage of his daughter, Miss Mary Louise Earle, to Charles Franklin Yates, carpenter’s mate first class, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. Yates, 230 Goodale street. The couple will be married next Thursday afternoon at 2 in Bethany Methodist church.

Miss Earle is a graduate of the Watertown High school and attended the Watertown School of Commerce and Rider college, Trenton, N. J. She is employed by the Agricultural Insurance company.

Carpenter’s Mate Yates was a student at the Watertown High school when he enlisted in the navy in 1941 for a term of six years. He serviced aboard the U. S. S. Humboldt in the South Atlantic. He is now stationed at Banana River, Fla., and is spending a leave with his parents in this city.


The marriage of Miss Marion E. Schaber, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Schaber of Watertown R. D. 1, and Paul W. Barker, son of Mrs. Ada Barker of Cape Vincent, took place Saturday, Sept. 26, at 7:45 p.m. at St. John’s Episcopal church at Cape Vincent. Rev. William Barnes, rector of the church, performed the ceremony.

The couple was attended by Miss Mildred Ullmann of Chaumont and Donald Bourcey of Cape Vincent. Mr. Barker and his bride left on a short wedding trip and upon their return will make their home on the Dezermald farm near Rosiere.


Photo: Alfred D. Lowe
Depauville, Aug. 26. -- Funeral services for former Assemblyman Alfred D. Lowe, 85, will be held at the home on Chaumont street, Thursday at 2 p.m. (E. S. T.)

The bearers will be Horace Jones, Fred Sternberg, Ernest Eckert, Peter Cardiss, Roy Priest and E. L. Swartwout, all of Depauville.


Evans Mills, Jan. 4. -- Miss Cecile Palmer, Evans Mills, and Albert Ayerst were married at the Roman Catholic church at Antwerp New Year’s eve by Rev. Benjamin H. Staie.

They were attended by Miss Bessie Ayerst, sister of the bridegroom, and Harry Kirkby, both of Chaumont.

Miss Palmer is the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Palmer of Evans Mills. She is a graduate of the Evans Mills High school.

Mr. Ayerst is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Everton Ayerst of Depauville.

Mr. and Mrs. Ayerst will reside at Antwerp where he is employed at the Borden milk plant.


Daughter Born.
Theresa, Aug. 6. -- Mr. and Mrs. Paul Barker of Cape Vincent are the parents of a daughter, Janet Patricia, weighing seven pounds and three ounces, born Friday morning, July 30, at the Community hospital. Mrs. Barker was the former Miss Marion Schaber of Brownville.


Photo: W. Robert Huey, jr.

W. Robert Huey, jr., will give an organ recital at Trinity Episcopal church Sunday afternoon at 5. Mr. Huey is now organist at the First Methodist church of this city.

Mr. Huey’s program follows: (not outlined here)

On Sunday, June 2 and 5 in the afternoon, Lewis Washburn, organist of Stone Street Presbyterian church, will present the last recital of this season’s series in Trinity church. These recitals are open to all. There is no charge for admission and no offering.

Miss Mary Jane Flansburg Bride
Miss Mary Jane Flansburg, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harold W. Flansburg, 413 Tilden street, became the bride of Donald J. LaBreck, son of Mrs. Anna LaBreck, 375 Arlington street, and the late Donald J. LaBreck, in a ceremony performed at 11 this morning at Trinity chapel by Rev. Walter C. Middleton, rector.

The couple was attended by Mrs. John Buduson, 375 Pearl street, and James Henson, brother-in-law of the bridegroom.

The bride wore a forest green gabardine suit with brown accessories and a corsage of gardenias. Her attendant was dressed in a gold suit with brown accessories and wore a corsage of gardenias.

A wedding luncheon was held at the home of the bride for 25 guests following the ceremony and a reception for 100 guests will be held this afternoon from 1 to 5, after which the couple will leave for a trip to Syracuse and Canada. They will return March 10 and make their home with the parents of the bride for the present.

The bridegroom is now employed at the New York Air Brake company plant following his honorable discharge from the United States navy in December after four and one-half year’s service. He was stationed in the Pacific area three years. He was graduated from Watertown High school, class of 1942.

The bride was graduated from Watertown High school, class of 1943 and has since been employed at the New York Air Brake.


Paul E. Bolton, 38, of 817 Franklin street, pleaded innocent to a drunken driving charge in city court today. He asked for trial and date and the date was fixed for Aug. 14. Attorney Arthur Cohen represents Bolton. Bail was fixed by Judge James Y. Larue at $200.

Bolton was arrested at 10:30 p.m. Saturday after an accident involving three cars at Coffeen and Fair streets. Patrolmen William J. McIntyre investigated.

Police said a car driven by Bolton came off Fair street and struck cars being operated by Edmund Mack, 137 Charles street, which was going east in Coffeen street, and Clarence Hatch, Philadelphia, proceeding west. All three cars were damaged.

Richard Sprague, 19, of 308 Waltham street, riding with Hatch, was injured in the accident and was treated by a doctor. He had a slight concussion of the brain and minor bruises.


Item: Mrs. Mary Guyette, 622 Mohawk street, has returned to this city after spending a week in New York city and Long Island. While there she attended the wedding of her brother, Charles W. Breezee, to Miss Pauline Bachner of Islip, L. I.


Return to Oregon.
Clayton, Aug. 6. -- Attorney and Mrs. Thomas B. Stoel and children, Tommy and Caroline, returned to Portland, Ore., after a three weeks’ visit with his mother, Mrs. T. B. Stoel. This is Mr. Stoel’s first trip home in eight years.


Death of Cape Vincent Woman, Bride of Two Weeks, Due to Peritonitis.

Mrs. Ella Jane Meeks Carey, 25, wife of William L. Carey of Cape Vincent and bride of only two weeks, died at 1 this morning in the House of the Good Samaritan of peritonitis after an illness of less than a week.

Stricken ill last Sunday at Cape Vincent, she was brought to the hospital the same day and on Monday underwent an operation for a ruptured appendix.

She was married to William L. Carey of Cape Vincent March 16 in the parsonage of the Methodist church of Clayton by Rev. Thomas J. Williams, pastor of the church. After a wedding trip, they returned to Cape Vincent and planned to establish their residence in Watertown, where Mr. Carey is employed by A. H. Herrick & Son, flour and feed millers.

Mrs. Carey was the former Miss Ella Jane Meeks of the town of Clayton, near Depauville. Mr. Carey, overseas veteran of World war II, received his discharge from the army Feb. 24.

Funeral services will be held Monday afternoon. There will be a prayer service at 1:30 at the home of her father, Dexter Meeks, Watertown-Clayton state highway, about two miles from Depauville, followed by services, a half hour later in the Methodist church of Depauville. Rev. Robert E. Wright, pastor of the church, will officiate. Burial will be made at Three Mile Bay.

The body will be taken to the home of her father late today.

Surviving Mrs. Carey, besides her husband and her father, are three sisters, Mrs. Ervin C. (Mildred C.) Russell, 814 Earl street, Mrs. Earl (Marion) Hall, Redwood, and Miss Thelma Meeks, residing with her father; two brothers, Millard D. Meeks, residing with his father, and Pfc. Robert J. Meeks, U. S. army, a military policeman on duty in Germany, and her maternal grandfather, David L. Zimmerman, Watertown.

Mrs. Carey’s mother, Mrs. Sybil C. Zimmerman Meeks, died in the House of the Good Samaritan last Sept. 17 at the age of 53 years.

Mrs. Carey was born Feb. 19, 1921, in the town of Clayton, a daughter of Dexter and Sybil C. Zimmerman Meeks. She had always resided on the farm where her father still lives.

She was educated in the Clayton public schools and later was a restaurant employe at Clayton. At the time of her marriage she was employed in the Clayton Central school cafeteria.

Item: Horace A. Spencer, 446 Dimmick street, director of the 1947 March of Dimes campaign in Jefferson county, left for New York today to attend the regional meeting on Tuesday of the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis. Delegates to the meeting will prepare plans for the 1947 March of Dimes campaign, schedule to be held from Jan. 15 to 30.

Item: Anyone interested in buying a used car should see Frankie Pugliese. He always seems to know where there is a real good one for sale cheap.

CROSBY-NULTY -- In this city, Aug. 17, 1946, t Arthur W. Crosby, 892 Franklin street, machine operator, and Mrs. Violet Dano Nulty, Thousand Island Park, a teacher.


Photos: Miss Genevieve Jones.
Miss Alice Johndrow.
Miss Genevieve Jones, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. G. Jones of Depauville, and Miss Alice Johndrow, daughter of Undersheriff and Mrs. L. R. Johndrow of Depauville, were graduated from the School of Nursing of St. Luke’s hospital, New York city, today.

Both Miss Jones and Miss Johndrow were graduated from the Clayton High school with the class of 1933. Miss Jones entered the school of nursing in September, 1933, and Miss Johndrow in February, 1934.

During the course of her three years’ training, Miss Jones was affiliated with Presbyterian Medical center for six months including three months at Sloan’s Obstetrical hospital and three months at Neurological Institute. Being specially interested in public health work, she spent two months in public health social settlement service with Henry Street Settlement, New York city.

Her father for years has been associated with the Watertown branch of the New York Life Insurance company. Miss Jones spent two weeks’ vacation at her parents’ home in Depauville prior to her graduation and was accompanied to New York by her parents who attended the graduation ceremony today.

Miss Johndrow, during the course of three years’ training at the School of nursing, was affiliated with the Presbyterian Medical center for six months including three months at Sloan’s Obstetrical hospital and Neurological institute.

Mrs. Charles Smith of this city, sister of Miss Johndrow, is in New York city to attend the graduation exercises.


Widow of George Daniels Of Clayton Dies at 74 (1937)
Active Member of Clayton and Depauville Churches Ill Three Years(Special To The Times)
Clayton, Dec. 4.
-- Mrs. Kate E. Lingenfelter Daniels, 74, widow of George E. Daniels, died at her home, 540 James street, at 9:20 Friday night. She had been ill three months of heart disease and had been in failing health for the past three years.

Mrs. Daniels was a prominent churchwoman here and in Depauville and had been active in civic affairs. Her husband, who died here April 27 at the age of 75, was a director of the First National Exchange bank.

She was born at the Lingenfelter homestead in the town of Clayton on Oct. 7, 1863, a daughter of William and Mary Lingenfeter. She was one of eleven children. Her early life was spent in this section and on Jan. 23, 1884, she was married to Mr. Daniels in a double wedding ceremony with Mrs. Minnie Wetterhahn, her sister, of Depauville, and the late Gustave Wetterhahn. The ceremony was performed by Rev. M. M. Rice, pastor of the Depauville Methodist Episcopal church. In January, 1934, the Daniels celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

Following the wedding, Mr. and Mrs. Daniels resided on the Daniels homestead on the Watertown-Clayton highway until 1912, when they moved to this village. Mr. Daniels served as vice president of the First National Bank of Clayton for seven years. The bank was merged with the First National Exchange bank of Clayton about 1930 and Mr. Daniels became a director. He retired because of ill health about a year before his death.

For more than 40 years Mr. Daniels was a member of the Depauville and Clayton granges and was also identified with the Masonic order of both villages for about 45 years. He was also a trustee of the village of Clayton for many years.

Mrs. Daniels was a prominent worker in both the Clayton and Depauville Methodist Episcopal churches. She was president of the Ladies' Aid society and superintendent of the Sunday school of Depauville church, and was president of the Home Missionary society of the Clayton church. She was also a member of the Clayton grange and of Calumet chapter, 274, Order of Eastern Star.

She is survived by one daughter, Miss Ethel Daniels, a teacher in the fourth grade here; one son, Emmett Daniels, residing on the Daniels homestead, and four sisters, Mrs. Wetterhahn and Mrs. Jennie Bretsch, Depauville; Mrs. Alma Dillenbeck, Clayton, and Mrs. Robert Calderwood, Johnstown.

Funeral services will be held from the home at 1:30 Monday afternoon and at 2 from the Clayton Methodist Episcopal church, Rev. Royal B. Fishbeck, pastor, will officiate. Burial will be beside her husband in the family plot at the Clayton cemetery.


Item/Photo: Edward H. Lane, seaman second class, who is stationed at Little Creek, Va., recently spent a few days with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Lane, 119 East Lynde street. (8-21-46)


(Special to The Times.)
Clayton, Nov. 26. -- Eugene B. Swartout, 79, lifelong farmer of this section, died at 7:15 this morning at his home on the Depauville road. He had been ill for seven weeks following a stroke.

Mr. Swartout was born at St. Lawrence, June 9 (?), 1858, son of Hezekiah and Mary Jennings Swartout. He married Miss Caroline Pierce at Theresa Nov. 24, 1881, the ceremony being performed by Rev. Charles E. Dorr, then pastor of the Theresa Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Swartout had lived on the present farm since his marriage. His wife died in 1917.

Surviving are one son, George R. Swartout, and a grandson, Lyle S. Swartout, both of the town of Clayton; one granddaughter, Mrs. Ray Ormsby of 930 West Main street, Watertown; one sister, Mrs. Alvaretta Putnam of Clayton and one brother, Ellsworth Swartout of Depauville.

The funeral will be held from the home at 2 p.m. Sunday followed by interment in the Depauville cemetery.


Mrs. Nellie E. Dillenbeck Lingenfelter, 77, wife of Myron C. Lingenfelter, died at 7 this morning at her home, 349 Arsenal street, after a long illness. She had been in failing health for the past two years, suffering from a complication of ailments.

Mrs. Lingenfelter was born in the town of Lyme Jan. 27, 1860, daughter of Alva and Amelia Dickey Dillenbeck. She was married at Chaumont in 1880 to Mr. Lingenfelter. The couple lived on farms in various parts of Jefferson county until five years ago when they retired from their farm at Limerick and moved to Watertown.

Surviving are her husband and three sons, Fred A. Lingenfelter of Evans Mills, Bert A. Lingenfelter of 418 Arsenal street, city, and C. A. Lingenfelter of Niagara Falls. Another son, Spencer L., died July 19, 1913.

The body is at the home, 349 Arsenal street, where friends may call this evening and Tuesday. The funeral will be held at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday from the home of her son, Bert A. Lingenfelter, 418 Arsenal street. Rev. James A. Leach, D. D. pastor of Asbury Methodist Episcopal church, will officiate. Burial will be in the cemetery at St. Lawrence.


BOISI-RING - In this city, Aug. 10, 1946, in the Free Methodist church by Rev. John G. Hessler, Nick Boisi, jr., 244 East Moulton street, and Miss Eleanor Ring, 624 Huntington street.

Item: Aug. 26, 1936 - The funeral of former Assemblyman Alfred D. Lowe, 85, will be held tomorrow from his home in Depauville.

COTY-GREENIZEN - At Sackets Harbor, Aug. 24, 1946, by Justice of the Peace I. W. Stokes, Richard T. Coty, 419 Franklin street, and Miss Janet Greenizen, 344 Winslow street.

Photo: Mason J. Delano
Funeral services for Mason J. Delano, 17-year-old son of Mason H. Delano, 844 Cooper street, who ended his life by hanging in his room at the Elmira reception center Monday night, will be held Friday afternoon at 2 at the Delano home here. Rev. Henry W. Gair, pastor of the Central Church of Christ, will officiate. Burial will be made in North Watertown cemetery.

The body was brought to Watertown by the motor hearse of the Guilfoyle company Tuesday afternoon.

The bearers selected for the funeral, all neighborhood friends of the youth, are: Gordon Davis, Wallace Howard, Richard Ballantine, Robert G. Ballantine, Robert Topping and William Foley.

Surviving the Delano boy are his father, Mason H. Delano, with whom he lived; his mother, Mrs. Sarah Billings Delano, Massena, and two sisters, Miss Ruth M. Delano and Mrs. Donald (Loretta I.) Wyeth, city.

The boy spent his early boyhood with his aunt, Mrs. Henry A. (Irene M. Delano) Bennett, 126 West Division street, with whom he lived for nine years.

He was born in Watertown April 28, 1929, a son of Mason H. and Sarah Billings Delano. A lifelong resident of this city, he was educated in the Cooper school, the North Junior High school, and at the Remington institute. He had been an employe of the New York Air Brake company, the mailing department of The Watertown Daily Times and also of the House of the Good Samaritan.

A half-brother, Arthur P. Delano, 22, was killed Aug. 20, 1941, when he was struck by a west-bound freight train on the tracks of the New York Central railroad between Jackson and Arch streets.


Clayton, May 21. -- Mrs. Frank X. Tobin announces the engagement of her daughter, Miss Margaret E. Tobin, to Willard M. Annals, second officer on government boat G-85 out of Fort Hancock, N. J., a resident of Oswego.

Miss Tobin, a graduate of the Potsdam State Teachers college and of Syracuse university, is third grade teacher at the Clayton Central school.

The wedding will take place in June.

The bride-to-be will be honored with a variety shower Thursday evening at the home of Miss Lois and Miss Naomi Dewey, to which 16 guests have been invited.

Photo: Miss Stefina Petroski

Mr. and Mrs. John Petroski of 686 Grant street, announce the engagement of their daughter, Miss Stefina Petroski, to Reynold F. Hand, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hand of Clinton, Ia.

Miss Petroski is a graduate of Potsdam State Teachers’ college and has been a teacher at Cooper school in this city for the past four years.

Mr. Hand is a graduate of the University of North Dakota. He served with the Fifth Armored division and at one time was stationed at Pine Camp.

At present he is employed in Lansing, Mich. No wedding date has been set.


Miss Alice E. Boileau, daughter of Mrs. Ada Fikes, 1412 Huntington street, and Earl J. Sykes, son of Mrs. Leta Sykes, 919 Bronson street, were married on April 11 by Rev. Robert W. Anthony, pastor of the First Methodist church, it was announced here today.

The couple was attended by Mrs. Maryanne Strater and Clarence Prashaw as matron of honor and best man, respectively.

The bride wore a beige suit with black accessories and a corsage of red roses. Mrs. Strater wore a green suit with black accessories and a corsage of yellow roses.

Mrs. Sykes attended South Junior High school and is now residing in Syracuse.

Mr. Sykes entered the army as a private five weeks ago and is now stationed at Amarillo, Tex. He attended the Watertown High school and prior to entering the service was employed at the Loblaw store, State street.


Miss Ramona J. Griffith, 17, Has Bad Cut on Head and Concussion.

Miss Ramona J. Griffith, 17-year-old daughter of Mrs. Ferne G. Griffith of Brownville, is in the House of the Good Samaritan with a bad cut on the head and a severe concussion of the brain suffered when she was hit in the head by a baseball bat at about 7 Sunday evening.

Miss Griffith, secretary in the law offices of Giles, Fuller & Goodwin of this city, was among a group of boys and girls of the village playing baseball on a vacant lot near the Episcopal church of Brownville.

The bat which accidentally struck her was in the hands of Aileen L. Loveland, 13-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leander A. Loveland, Brownville. As the Loveland girl swung the bat, Miss Griffith ran close behind her into the path of the swing bat, seeking to catch the ball.

The blow inflicted a bad wound on the left side of the head in the area of the eyebrow. Two stitches were taken at the hospital to close the wound. The girl was knocked temporarily unconscious, but her condition is not considered serious.

X-ray pictures were to be taken today to determine whether the skull was fractured.


Photo: Catherine Flynn, in wedding gown -- a write-up was not evident on this page.

Photo: COUPLE WED IN CITY -- Mr. and Mrs. Peter J. Olah are shown following their marriage at Trinity Episcopal church chapel Monday morning. Mrs. Olah is the former Miss Betty Jane Trumble, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. Ellisworth Trumble, 266 East Main street. Mr. Olah is the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Olah, 675 Grant street. (3-?-46)

Photo: VETERAN AND WIFE IN PORTABLE HOME - Mr. and Mrs. Edward Hubley are shown above in their new portable, four-room home on the campus of the University of Cincinnati, O., where Mr. Hubley, veteran of overseas duty in Italy, is attending the college. Mrs. Hubley is the former Miss Mary Louise Nicolette, 725 Hancock street.

Mr. and Mrs. Edward Hubley were among the first to move into the housing project on the campus of the University of Cincinnati, O., where the Federal Public Housing Authority has charge of setting up small portable houses for World war Ii veterans and their families. Mrs. Hubley, the former Miss Mary Louise Nicolette, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S. J. Nicolette, 725 Hancock street, this city.

Mr. Hubley, former lieutenant with the First Armored Division, served 23 months in Italy, Africa, Sicily and Southern France. He began his term at the University of Cincinnati in November where he is taking mechanical engineering. The couple was married at Pine Camp on Dec. 4, 1943, and during her husband’s absence overseas, Mr. Hubley was employed at the New York Air Brake company. He is a native of Lancaster, Pa.

These houses are available only to veterans who are attending college there. Storage space is one of the main problems of the homes, but some space can be found under the combination divan-bed. Drapes separate the rooms.

Photo: COUPLE WED -- The wedding party of Mr. and Mrs. Milford W. Haas, jr., of Chaumont, is shown above, left to right: David Fry, usher; Mrs. Harold Coleman, matron of honor, the bride and bridegroom; Harold Coleman, best man. Mrs. Haas is the former Miss Pauline Crouch of Fulton.

Miss Pauline Crouch, daughter of Renoc A. Crouch, Fulton, became the bride of Milford W. Haas, jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Milford W. Haas, sr., Chaumont, at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 29. A double ring ceremony was performed at the First Methodist church, Fulton, by Rev. Webster Melcher, pastor of the church.

The couple was attended by (copying process truncated the remainder of this paragraph).

Given in marriage by her father, the bride wore a white satin floor length gown with a fitted bodice, sweetheart neckline and a train of silk chiffon over taffeta. Her finger tip veil was caught in a tiara of orange blossoms and she carried a shower bouquet of white roses. Mrs. Coleman, the matron of honor, wore a gown of pink silk organdie over taffeta with a ginger tip veil caught with a cluster of roses. She carried a bouquet of pink roses. Mrs. Haas, mother of the bridegroom, wore a sheer black and white gown with a corsage of yellow rosebuds.

The bride was graduated from Albany State Teachers College (remainder of paragraph missing).

Mr. Haas is a graduate of Central City Business school, Syracuse, and was discharged from service with the army Nov. 9 after serving three and a half years with the Fifth Air (?) in the Pacific area.

After a short wedding trip to Albany, the couple will reside at 763 James street, Syracuse. Mr. Haas will be employed by the clerical department of the Associated Laundry company.


Photo: COUPLE WED -- The wedding party of Mr. and Mrs. Milford W. Haas, Chaumont, is shown above, left to right: David Fry, usher; Mrs. Harold Coleman, matron of honor, the bride and bridegroom; Harold Coleman, best man. Mrs. Hass is the former Miss Pauline Crouch of Fulton.

DALGLIESH-MACFARLANE -- In this city, Aug. 28, 1946, in Trinity Episcopal church by Rev. Dr. H. Curtis Whedon, rector of Grace curch, Carthage, J. Ferguson Dalghliesh, 720 Gotham street and Miss Gilberta Macfarlane, 227 Sherman street.

EDGAR-WATSON -- In this city, Aug. 11, 1946, in Holy Family church by Rev. Frederick R. (unclear)......, Paul J. Edgar, 245 South Pleasant street, and Miss Katherine Watson, 1295 Columbia street.

NAVARRA-HISCOCK -- In this city, Aug. 25, 1946, in St. Anthony’s church by Very Rev. Msgr. Claude Sechi, Joseph J. Navarra, 468 Coffeen street, and Miss Joyce K. Hiscock, 210 East Lynde street.

Photo: FORUM PRESIDENT - Mrs. Lyle G. Harrington, 1016 Washington street, was elected president of the Luncheon Forum of the Y. M. Ca. A. at the annual meeting held recently.


Mrs. Doris Soules Richardson, 642 Lansing street, has been granted a final divorce decree from William H. Richardson, 609 Hamilton street, dated May 16 by the civil court of the first instance, Bravos district, Chihuahua, Mexico. The decree was granted by Judge Jesus Barba Corejo on the grounds of non-support and incompatibility and states that both parties are free to re-marry and that the wife may use her maiden name.

The decree was also signed by J. D. Lambeth, vice consul of the United States at Cuidad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico. Arrangements for the Mexican divorce were handled by Attorney Sidney B. Cooper who has offices in the Woolworth building.

Mr. and Mrs. Richardson were married Nov. 8, 1942, at Stone Street Presbyterian church. Three months after their marriage, Mr. Richardson entered the service and was in the North African and Italian campaigns. He came back last December after three years in the army and has returned to his employment at the New York Air Brake company plant. He was a scale operator at the plant before entering the armed forces. There were no children.

Mrs. Richardson is employed at the F. W. Woolworth company store.


Photo: Miss Eleanor Mae Frost

Two poems written by Miss Eleanor Mae Frost, 133 Winslow street, have been published in “Talent,” a volume of poems and song lyrics by new writers.

The poems written by Miss Frost and published are “I Don’t Care” and “Until You Smile at Me.”

She has also written the lyrics for two songs which have been set to music, published and recorded. The names of the songs are: “Good Night and Love to You” and “Precious Memories.”

The youthful poet is a graduate of the Watertown High school, class of 1942. She is employed at the House of the Good Samaritan.


Photos: Mrs. Elliott E. Vorce
Leland J. Marlette
Will Sing Wednesday Evening--L. J. Marlette Is Guest Artist

The Women’s Chorus, a group of 25 well known vocalists of Watertown, will present its annual spring concert Wednesday evening at 8:15 in the Senior High school auditorium with Miss Gladys Mantell conducting and Mrs. Edward L. Wool at the piano. The concert is sponsored this season by the evening school division of the department of education.

Leland J. Marlette as guest artist, will offer two groups of trombone solos including the “Del Staigers Variations” on a Venetian theme, a highly technical selection. Miss Helen Gossman will accompany Mrs. Marlette at the piano.

As in the past, the chorus has chosen music in a variety of styles ranging from a 16th century chorale to the music of Jerome Kern. A favorite number is “O Sleep” from the cantata, “The Ancient Mariner” by Dr. Charles O’Neill, a member of the faculty at the Crane department of music at the Potsdam State Teachers college.

The Women’s Chorus is made up of women of varied interests, including housewives, stenographers, teachers and music students who have been singing together for some years and whose interest in choral music has persisted throughout the war period.

Mrs. Elliott E. Vorce is president of the organization, Miss Helen Flanagan, secretary and treasurer; Mrs. Frank S. Graziadei, librarian; Miss Gladys Mantell, conductor, and Mrs. Edward L. Wool, accompanist. Other members of the chorus are Miss Mary Capone, Miss Kathleen Donovan, Miss Jane Deline, Miss Esther Gilmore, Miss Eleanor Gossman, Miss Helen Gossman, Miss Margaret Liddy, Miss Kathleen O’Hare, Miss Irma Suttle, Mrs. Claude Conklin, Mrs. Leon A. Elliott, Mrs. Harry Eagan, Mrs. Fern Griffith, Mrs. F. E. Kingery, Mrs. Karl Mider, Mrs. John Perry, Mrs. James Ridge, Mrs. John Roche, Mrs. Schuyler Shoecraft, Mrs. Robert Warrington.

The concert is open to the public. Ushers will be Edward L. Wool, Karl Mider, Elliott E. Vorce, Stanley Stark and Dr. Frank S. Graziadei.


PUTNAM-KENNEY -- In this city, Aug. 29, 1946, to Ivan A. Putnam, Chaumont, a laborer, and Miss Kathleen E. Kenney, 139 Stuart street.

PLATO -- At Lafargeville, Aug. 23, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. Harold Plato, Lafargeville, a daughter, Ann Louise, weighing eight and a half pounds.

Item: Frederick W. Price, 17, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred G. Price of Sackets Harbor, returned to Albany today for further navy orders after an appendicitis operation at Mercy hospital during his leave at home. He enlisted in the navy July 5 and after being sworn in at Albany was permitted to come home on a seven day leave. He became ill and was operated upon at the hospital.

Item: Paul E. Foster, formerly of Dexter, now of the State Farm Security Administration office of Ithaca as farm ownership engineer, is working this week at the local F. S. A. office in the Federal building.

Item: Mr. and Mrs. Fred Lammerman and their children, Joan and Carol, from Hamilton, Ohio, are guests of Miss Bessie Hartman, 1833 State street.


Miss Irene R. Horning, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dana G. Horning, Watertown, R. D. 3, became the bride of Richard W. Bethke, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. M. Bethke of Trenton, N. J., in a ceremony performed Saturday afternoon at 4 in the First Methodist church by the pastor, Rev. Robert W. Anthony, assisted by Rev. Dr. F. A. Miller. The couple was attended by Mr. and Mrs. Donald R. Palmer, brother-in-law and sister of the bride. Mrs. E. J. Farrell of Trumansburg and Miss Arlene R. Van Ostrand, roommates of the bride at Rider College, were usherettes.

The bride was gowned in white lace fashioned with a long full skirt and wore a matching finger tip veil held in place with orange blossoms. Her attendant wore an aqua taffeta gown with a matching veil trimmed with roses.

A reception was held at the home of the bride’s parents following the ceremony. Her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. S. J. Corey, of Parish, who were observing their 48th wedding anniversary on their granddaughter’s wedding day, were present.

Out of town guests were Mr. and Mrs. H. M. Bethke, Mr. and Mrs. Chester Miller, Miss Doris Bethke, Bruce Ristow, all of Trenton, N. J., Mrs. Alvan Conde and Mrs. E. J. Farrell of Trumansburg, Mr. and Mrs. Corey and Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Howard, Mrs. John Horning and Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Weaver of Parish.

The couple left for a wedding trip of two weeks to Seaside Park, N. J., after which they will return to Watertown to the home of the bride’s parents until July 1 when Mr. Bethke will reenter Cornell university. He was a student at Cornell when he entered the navy two and one-half years ago. He participated in the fighting in both Atlantic and Pacific zones and received his honorable discharge from the service May 8 at Lido Beach.

The bride is a graduate of Watertown High school, class of 1941, and completed training at Rider College in August, 1942.


Item: Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Spicer and the Misses Anna and Inez Dano, 200 William street, attended the graduation exercises at Syracuse university today, where Lewis G. Spicer, jr., is graduating from Syracuse university law school.


(Special to The Times.)
Depauville, June 4. -- Mrs. Emily A. Gillette, 84, this village, widow of Stephen L. Gillette, died at 4:30 this morning in the Mercy hospital, Watertown, where she had been a patient since May 3. She had been in a coma since May 26, and death was caused by a cerebral hemorrhage.

Mrs. Gillette was born at Gouverneur, Dec. 16, 1861, the oldest daughter of Andrew and Julia Smith Leach. She was married to Mr. Gillette on March 2, 1892. After their marriage, they moved to the Gillette homestead near Depauville, where they lived until Mr. Gillette’s death in 1918. Since that time, Mrs. Gillette had resided in this village.

She was a member of the local Methodist church and of the D. Y. B. class of the church.

Surviving are a niece, Mrs. Ethel L. Spencer, whom Mr. and Mrs. Gillette brought up from a small child; a half-sister, Mrs. Florence Tait Collins, Watertown; a step-son, Solon Gillette, Pamelia, and other nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be held Thursday from her home at 1:30 and at 2 from the Stone church, Rev. Daniel Evans, pastor, officiating, assisted by Rev. Robert E. Wright of the Methodist church. Burial will be in the family plot, Depauville cemetery.


Expires in Hospital of Bronchial Pneumonia
Was Blind for 44 Years
For More Than 40 Years He Had Sold Newspapers--Mother, Aged 96, One of Survivors--Always Had Dog to Guide Him.
Michael J. Shanahan, 71-year old blind newsie and one of the most familiar figures of the city, died at 7 Thursday evening in Mercy hospital of bronchial pneumonia.

“Mike,” as Mr. Shanahan was known to thousands, not only in this city and northern New York, but also throughout the country, lived with his 96-year old mother, Mrs. Ellen Casey Shanahan, and his sister, Mrs. Nellie G. Goldthorpe, 136 South Massey street. He had been a news vendor for about 40 years.

He had not been well all winter, remaining home most of the time. A few years ago he became ill with the grip. He entered the hospital Monday and examination showed that he was suffering from pneumonia as well as heart disease.

He became unconscious Wednesday afternoon and since then he had been under an oxygen tent. He never regained consciousness.

While his master lay critically ill in the hospital, Mr. Shanahan’ faithful lead dog, Pal, was seen about the streets during the afternoons, evidently looking for his master.

Michael J. Shanahan was born in Oil City, Pa., June 25, 1865, a son of Charles and Ellen Casey Shanahan. “Mike” questioned the date of his birth, although his mother, now 96, who was also born on June 25, always insisted that he was born on the June 25 following the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. The death of the president in April, 1865, Mrs. Shanahan particularly remembered .

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Shanahan came to this country from Ireland in 1864 with their first child, John C. Shanahan, and nine more children were born tot them in this country.

The Shanahan family settled first at Oil City, living there eight years before moving to Iowa. Because of the occupation of the father, a contractor engaged in railroad construction work, the family was compelled to travel throughout the country and lived in various states, including Kansas, Virginia, Tennessee, Ohio, Kentucky, Nebraska, Missouri and New York. “Mike” was brought up in Kansas City, Mo.

The family came to this state from Tennessee, living first in Gouverneur, then at Benson Miles and finally in Watertown. The father, Charles Shanahan, died at Benson Mines about 20 years ago.

Before he lost his sight on Feb. 27, 1893, “Mike” Shanahan was engaged in the same occupation as was his father, railroad construction work, working with his father

Mr. Shanahan narrowly escaped death in the explosion which totally destroyed his sight. At the time he was employed as a foreman for a construction company building the Gouverneur & Oswegatchie railroad.

A side track was being built from the main line of the railroad to the pulp mill at Emeryville. Considerable blasting was necessary to establish a proper grade. A blockhole had been drilled on Feb. 25, a Saturday, but the loading and firing of the dynamite blast was deferred until the following Monday--Feb. 27. It was generally believed that some time during the week-end some employe or employes had gone to the hole and loaded it with dynamite.

Early on the morning of Feb. 27 Mr. Shanahan, with another employe, went to the hole to start work and found the hole drilled on Saturday filled with what was believed to be ice. In their efforts to get the “ice” out, the dynamite prematurely exploded.

Mr. Shanahan, standing directly over the blast, was hurled 47 feet from a bluff to the ice of the Oswegatchie river. His eyes were destroyed, his body was severely lacerated and his left hand was badly injured. For seven months Mr. Shanahan was a patient in the Hepburn hospital, Ogdensburg, and for a time he was not expected to live.

It was while he was in the Ogdensburg hospital that Mr. Shanahan learned of the use of a dog to the blind. He was told how a blind organ-grinder at the World’s fair at Chicago was using a dog to guide him.

Upon his discharge from the hospital he went to Batavia, N. Y., where he attended a school for the blind, and after leaving school he became a newspaper vendor, an occupation he had since followed.

He began selling newspapers, he recalled, on April 20, 1897, during the sensational Allen murder case at Sackets Harbor. The case stirred northern New York and aroused widespread interest. The crime was committed April 16, 1897, at Sackets Harbor, and George Haynes, alias George Allen, a member of the Ninth Infantry, was convicted of the murder of Mary Daly and Mary Crouch.

“Mike” began his newspaper vending career at Benson Mines, where he then lived.

Mr. Shanahan soon accepted his great physical loss with philosophic fortitude and his constant cheerfulness won him the admiration of the thousands of people with whom he came in contact.

He came to Watertown from Benson Mines on Feb. 21, 1916---he vividly recalled that date because the temperature was 21 below zero on that day here--and although during his long career he had sold papers and magazines in various states and cities, including Syracuse, Birmingham, Memphis, Hot Springs, Chicago, Cincinnati and Cleveland, he remained in this city most of the time.

Led by a dog as guide, Mr. Shanahan was for many years one of the most familiar figures about the streets of the city as he crossed and re-crossed the business thoroughfares without apparent difficulty.

“Pal” was his 14th guide dog. By responding to the dog’s “stop” and “go” warnings and holding in one hand the leash attached to the dog’s neck and in the other his stick to guide himself, Mr. Shanahan was able to walk through traffic.

Death has claimed all of his 13 other dogs “Mike” had during his career. Of the 14 he had he considered Railroad Jack, Nigger, Buddy and Babe, the best. Mr. Shanahan liked to boast of his ability to train his dogs to guide him safely. Babe was one of his favorites as a lead dog. His last dog, Pal, is a collie and chow.

The canine “Mike” had the longest was Nigger, who served its master for ten years. Babe, named after Babe Ruth, the famous retired baseball player, was next with nine years’ of service.

Nigger, a jet black mongrel of southern breed, died in 1920. His owner obtained him in Hot Springs, Ark., and the animal had piloted Mr. Shanahan through 15 states.

The 13 dogs Mr. Shanahan had owned before Pal were, in the order named: Railroad Jack, Danger, Beauty, Foxy, Pal, Ruby, Nigger, Flora, Jap, Zip,Jeff, Babe and Buddy. Flora was killed here by an automobile. Buddy, the 13th, was a Scotch collie and was the best trained for modern traffic conditions. He died in February, 1931, after six years of service.

Every year for several years Mr. Shanahan sold papers in Syracuse during the state fair week and also appeared at various county fairs, where he made a business by guessing weights.

For many years his news stand was in front of the Woodruff hotel or at the Washington street entrance to the Paddock Arcade.

The blind newsie had little difficulty in recognizing coins and he made change as readily as a man with two good eyes simply by his familiarity with the size of the coin.

By long experience he was able to tell exactly which paper a customer desired. He became acquainted with a great many of the city’s population, recognized many of them by their voices and called some of them by their names as readily as their friends.

Although deprived of his sight, “Mike” enjoyed “seeing” a good ball game, a theatrical production or a good prize fight. He had seen at least one game of most of the World Series between 1913 and 1933 and he could name many of baseball’s greatest figures. The first series he attended was that between the New York Giants and the Philadelphia Athletics in 1913. He had personally met many of the big leaguers, including Connie Mack, and when the veteran manager of the Athletics visited Watertown in August, 1933, “Mike” was one of the first to greet him.

At one time Mr. Shanahan was also engaged in the popcorn and peanut business, his popcorn machine being located at various corners on Public Square.

For several years he spent the winters at Benson Mines when his mother lived there, returning to this city in the spring to resume his newspaper business.

“Mike” was a proud admirer of President Roosevelt and “Al” Smith, the former governor, and among his prized possessions are personal letters he received from the former governor and from Postmaster General James A. Farley.

Mr. Shanahan was never married.

He was a member of St. Patrick’s church. He was also a member of Watertown Council, 259, Knights of Columbus.

Surviving Mr. Shanahan, besides his mother and his sister, Mrs. Goldthorpe, are another sister, Mrs. John Collins, New Boston, and a brother, Charles J. Shanahan, Trenton, N. J.

The body was removed to the S. J. Payne & Son Funeral home and will be taken Saturday afternoon to the family home, 136 South Massey street.

Funeral services will be held Monday at 8:45 a. m. from the home and at 9 in St. Patrick’s church. Burial will be made in Glenwood cemetery.


(Special To The Times)
Depauville, Jan. 24. -- Charles M. Lowe, 74, retired farmer, died yesterday morning at about 3:30 at his home in this village. He had been in poor health for about six months and had been seriously ill for about two weeks, suffering from a liver ailment.

Mr. Lowe was born in the town of Clayton, Dec. 10, 1863, a son of the late William and Frances Wright Lowe. He had always resided in the town of Clayton.

Mr. Lowe attended the Methodist Episcopal church of this village and was a member of the Masonic lodge and the grange of Depauville.

Surviving him are his wife, who was formerly Emma Schnauber; three sisters, Mrs. Mary Schall, Redwood; Miss Nellie Lowe, Depauville, and Mrs. Edward Herkimer, Long Beach, Calif.; a brother, William Lowe, Depauville, and several nephews and nieces.

Funeral services will be held at the home Tuesday afternoon at 2. Rev. Albert Walker, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of this village, will officiate. The body will be placed in the vault at Depauville cemetery to await burial in the spring.


Condition Improved. (1946)
Clayton Center, Aug. 20. -- Mrs. Addie Luther, 79, who suffered cracked ribs in a fall at her home here last week, is improving. She is unable to write or engage in household tasks because of the injuries received.

Guest Soloist Appears.
Philadelphia, Aug. 6. -- At the regular service Sunday at 11:45 in the Methodist church, with Rev. Walter J. Suits, pastor, a guest soloist, Miss Ann Jones of Watertown, sang “God is Love,” accompanied by Mrs. Michael Schatz of Watertown.

Item: Three new instructors have been added to the teaching staff of Clarkson college at Potsdam. They are Ross C. Hudson of Clayton, class of ‘18; Robert P. Kolb of Troy and Max J. Hoyer of Canton, class of ‘91.


Graduate Of St. Lawrence In June, 1929
Pneumonia Is Fatal to School Principal--Funeral
Services to Be Held on Saturday.

Glenn Alderman Haas, 29, of Chaumont, principal of the Chaumont High school for more than five years and graduate of St. Lawrence university, Canton, died at 6:55 this morning in the House of the Good Samaritan, where he had been a patient since Feb. 24. Death was caused by lobar pneumonia. He was stricken with pneumonia a week ago today and entered the hospital the same day.

Mr. Haas, accompanied by Mrs. Haas, left on a trip to Bainbridge, N. Y., Feb. 19 to visit his mother-in-law there. Upon their return to Chaumont Feb. 22, he went to bed and since then he had been confined to his bed. His illness was diagnosed as pneumonia Feb. 24.

(photo of Glenn H. Haas appeared within the text)

At his bedside when he died were his wife, his parents and his two brothers, twins, Milford W. and Milton H. Haas, all of Chaumont.

On Feb. 16, only two weeks ago, the village of Chaumont voted in favor of a new high school building at a village election. The plans for the new structure have been drawn up and are pending approval by the state department of education.

Only recently Mr. Haas received notice that he would be offered a contract to continue as principal of the Chaumont High school for another year.

He was born at Chaumont, Nov. 19, 1907, a son of Frank C. and Jennie Whittier Haas. He had lived in Chaumont almost all of his life. Following his graduation from the Chaumont High school in 1925, he entered St. Lawrence university and was graduated in June, 1929, with a degree of bachelor of science.

After his graduation from the university he accepted a position in the Greenwich, Washington county, school, a school having 24 teachers, about ten miles north of Albany on the Delaware & Hudson railroad, leading from Albany to Rutland, Vt. He served as assistant principal there for a year and a half, beginning in September, 1929, at the same time teaching mathematics and science. He had majored in mathematics at St. Lawrence, where during his junior year he taught a class in that subject.

From Greenwich he returned to Chaumont in the fall of 1931 and since then he had been principal of the high school there. In addition he taught mathematics and science. At the time of his death he was serving his sixth year as head of the school.


Ailment Brought On By Brain Abscess
Mrs. H. J. Van Alstyne, 33
Town of Lyme Resident Dies in House of Good Samaritan---
Rites to be Held Thursday.
(Special to The Times.)

Chaumont, March 9. -- Mrs. Emma Dayon Van Alstyne, 33, wife of Harold L. Van Alstyne, town of Lyme, died at 7:45 Monday night at the House of the Good Samaritan following a three day illness with acute sleeping sickness.

Mrs. Van Alstyne had been in ailing health for several weeks. However, three days ago she was stricken with the unusual illness which caused her to intermittedly (sic) lapse into a coma.

She was admitted to the hospital on Sunday and her condition was described as serious. Dr. V. T. Rear, Chaumont, her attending physician, diagnosed the ailment as the result of a brain disease.

Mrs. Van Alstyne was born in Chaumont Jan. 29, 1904, a daughter of Ezra and Grave Silver Thompson. She spent most of her life in that vicinity. She was married to Mr. Van Alstyne on March 15, 1921, in a ceremony performed in the Methodist Episcopal church by Rev. William Eddy, pastor.

She was a member of the Three Mile Bay Baptist church.

Among the survivors besides her husband and parents are two sons, Robert and George Van Alstyne, Chaumont; five sisters, Mrs. Nina Dodge, Chaumont; Mrs. Nettie Brown, Syracuse; Mrs. Matilda Love, Three Mile Bay; Mrs. Mae Dailey, Hollywood, Fla., and Mrs. Dorothy Warner, Chaumont; her grandmother, Mrs. Anna Silver, Chaumont.

Funeral services will be held from the home Thursday afternoon at 1:30 and from the Methodist Episcopal church at Depauville at 2:30. Rev. William Herzog, pastor of the Three Mile Bay Baptist church, assisted by Rev. Albert Walker, pastor of the Depauville Methodist Episcopal church, will officiate. The body will be placed in the vault at Depauville to await burial in the spring.

Photo: Congratulations and Best Wishes to Mr. and Mrs. Gerald K. Roberts. Mrs. Roberts was the former Miss Betty Wicks. After the wedding and reception, Saturday, May 4th, the couple went for a motor trip through New York and Canada.

Return to Jefferson County Tidbits

Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page