Depauville, Jefferson County, N. Y.

Births . Weddings . Anniversaries .
Graduations . Deaths .
Miscellaneous Community Happenings .

1930s and 1940s

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8


Clayton, April 18. -- Mr. and Mrs. Malcolm Longway have purchased the 135-acre Bert Whitney farm on the Three Mile Creek road from the Whitney estate and will take possession within 30 days. They have sold their 47-acre farm on the Clayton-Watertown road three and one-half miles from the village to Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Suggs of Redwood who plan to operate a riding academy on the plot.

Mr. and Mrs. Suggs have sold their property in Redwood and will take possession in 30 days. Mr. Longway has sold his truck and his express business for the New York Central railroad to Charles Solar and plans to devote all his time to farming and will operate a 25-cow dairy.

Mr. Solar who will take over the trucking business is a war veteran who returned in January after service in the European theater.

Mr. Suggs who will establish the riding academy is a retired army man who served in both the first and second World war. Mrs. Suggs was the widow of the late Perley Edmonds before his marriage.


(with photo)
Henry Parker, prominent local baritone soloist who has been featured in many of the outstanding musical and radio events in this vicinity during the past few years, has been chosen for the baritone solo in Du Bois’ sacred cantata, “The Seven Last Words of Christ,” which is to be presented at the First Presbyterian church Tuesday evening, April 16.

This presentation will be by the Watertown Community Chorus with the choirs of the Stone Street Presbyterian and the First Presbyterian churches.

Announcement of Mr. Parker’s selection as a soloist was made by Louis O. Gates, president of the Watertown Community Chorus, an organization of about 40 male and female voices.

The massed group of the chorus and two church choirs will be directed by Charles N. Burmaster, well known local conductor and musical instructor who has directed many concerts by local instrumental and vocal bodies.


Photograph printed from old plate found in attic by Morris Bannister, 241 Ten Eyck street. The day when the picture was taken is unknown but it is believed to be nearly 50 years old. The picture shows Washington street unpaved and two stores occupying the space now taken up by A. Bushnell & Co.


A correspondent writes to ask about the so-called Cup and Saucer House at Cape Vincent and the plot to bring Napoleon Bonaparte to America. It is an old subject and a great deal has been written on it, both fact and fiction. Olin L. Lyman wrote a particularly entertaining novel on this theme. He called it “Embers of Empire,” and it was published 20 or more years ago. The present correspondent is moved to make the inquiry because of the dispatch to the effect that Beverly, near Princess Ann, Maryland, has just been destroyed by fire. This was an old manor house built in 1789 and tradition says that Jerome Bonaparte of Baltimore, brother of Napoleon, plotted there to rescue his brother Napoleon from the island of St. Helena where he was in banishment and bring him to Beverly. Napoleon died before the plot took form.

The Cup and Saucer House at Cape Vincent which was burned in 1867 was said to have been erected for this same purpose. Count Pierre Francois Real, exiled from France with the downfall of Napoleon I, went with a number of other distinguished Frenchmen to Cape Vincent in 1816. The Cup and Saucer House resembled an inverted cup placed in a saucer. It stood on the site of the present power house of the village water works system.

There seems to be no doubt that Count Real and his associates worked out a plan to rescue Napoleon from St. Helena. There is no authenticated record as to what the plan was although it is said that they hoped to equip a sailing vessel and proceed to St. Helena and spirit him away from his captors. This was somewhat fantastical but the group of distinguished Frenchmen who were formerly so near to Napoleon were astute men and there is every reason to believe that he Napoleon not died in 1821 they would have undertaken his rescue with the idea of bringing him to the Cup and Saucer House at the Cape.


Sandy Creek, Oct. 25. -- Rev. and Mrs. Albert A. Lawrence of Lacona announce the engagement of their daughter Elizabeth Clarissa to John Aboutok, son of Nicholas Aboutok and the late Mrs. Aboutok of Summit, N. J.

Miss Lawrence is a graduate of Carthage High school, class of 1938, and Houghton College, class of 1942. She enlisted in the Waves and served for two years, being stationed at Lakehurst, N. J., and Treasure Island, San Francisco, Calif.

Mr. Aboutok is a graduate of a high school in Summit, N. J., class of 1936. He was in the 88th Blue Devil division and saw action in Sicily and Italy. The wedding will take place Nov. 30.


Mr. and Mrs. S. K. Thornhill of Brockville, Ont., announce the engagement of their daughter, Miss Trudy M. Thornhill of 129 North Orchard street, city, to Robert Timmerman, son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter L. Timerman of 1230 Madison avenue.

Miss Thornhill attended the schools of Brockville and is employed as a beautician at the Arcade Beauty shop in this city.

Mr. Timerman was educated in the local schools and was recently discharged from the U. S. navy after having served on the west coast and in the Pacific war theater.

No date has been set for the wedding.


FARR--Near Clayton, Sept. 16, 1946, Mrs. Florence Fox Farr, wife of Edward R. Farr, aged 73 years.

POOLER-WAUGH--In this city, Sept. 8, 1946, to Roswell L. Pooler, 835 Salina street, probation officer, and Miss Shirley Ann Waugh, 164 Winslow street, telephone operator.


Child Marriage and Sub-chaser Blast Prominent in Compilation
Hilsdorfs Deaths Sixth Of Ten Best Stories In North Country
Deaths of Two Local Girls Under Wheels of Truck,
$250,000 Fire at Pulaski Academy, and Death of Francis E. Cullen
Complete List of Ten Best Stories.


Ten Best Stories of 1937


1. The Thousand Islands bridge.
2. The milk Strike.
3. The child marriage.
4. The United States sub-chaser blast at Sackets Harbor,
which sank the boat and cost one man his life.
5. The police search and the surrender of Robert Irwin, alleged
Gedeon slayer who killed three on Easter day.
6. The asphyxiation of the Hilsdorf family in this city.
7. The deaths of five Ogdensburg children, four of whom
perished in their flaming house.
8. The deaths of two local girls under the wheels of a heavy
milk truck.
9. The $250,000 fire which destroyed the Pulaski academy.
10. The death of Attorney Francis E. Cullen, one of northern
New York’s outstanding attorneys.


As 1937 ends its flight into history, records of important economic progress stand out as the most important news of the past year in northern New York.

Close behind are important news events which portray disaster, death and tragedy.

The number of events in 1937 in the north country which held reader interest generally was comparatively small. Other years have left heavier imprints on the minds of the residents of this section.

The ever-changing picture of northern New York life furnished the usual humor and tragedy during the past year. But the two events of outstanding importance to the welfare of the people of this section did not involve destruction. They were concerned with progressive and constructive aspects of north country welfare.

The news that at last the Thousand Island bridge would be built came in the spring of the year. The ground-breaking ceremonies at Collins Landing April 30 marked the culmination of effort for years of persons interested in the proposed international span between New York state and the province of Ontario.

The Times’ broadcast of the ceremonies April 30--when the first shovelful of earth was turned to launch the $2,800,000 project--recorded a forward step in north country enterprise. Thousands of people saw the ceremony. Other thousands heard it.

The vital relationship to northern New York’s economic future which rests with the success of the bridge venture makes it 1937 news of outstanding importance.

Audit Bill Passed.

The 1937 history of dairy activity, both in the legislature and throughout the state, falls in second place in ten-story importance. The passage of the audit bill was a legislative highlight which marked the culmination of an eleven-year fight by north country legislators and dairy leaders for adequate protection of New York farmers against distributor groups. The audit of large cooperatives is now being made.

The Dairy Farmers’ Union milk strike added an important strike added an important phase to dairy history when prices were boosted to farmers and the potential wealth of northern New York was increased. The union movement, which started in the spring, marked the first time dairymen actually joined an organization to start out on a constructive path to openly fight for farmers’ rights. Other organizations have been formed in the past 20 years but they usually broke up before taking decisive action.

The discovery Feb. 2 that Leona Elizabeth Roshia, 12, and Stanley S. Backus had been married in Carthage Jan. 15 was news worthy of selection in third place. The child marriage was publicized in newspaper and magazines all over the country, following as it did the sensational Tennessee case in which a nine-year-old girl was married to a 21-year-old farmer.

The experiences of the bridegroom, his bride, and members of her family in the courts was followed with avid interest by Times’ readers.

Fourth in the list of the best ten is the sub-chaser blast at Navy Point, Sackets Harbor, Sept. 3. The craft of the 13th Fleet Division, New York Naval Militia, blew up with Steve Kafka, 42, chief petty officer, on board. The boat sank in shallow water and Kafka died the following day of burns.

Shortly before the blast, the sub-chaser had been loaded with gasoline.

Irwin Lived in North.

The sensational revelation April 6 that Robert Irwin, 29, eccentric sculptor who had been attending St. Lawrence university was wanted for the brutal Easter Sunday Gedeon murders in New York city, shocked north country residents.

For a time a state-wide police search centered at Canton, and the details of the search in this section and elsewhere were followed eagerly in print by northern New York residents. The arrest of Irwin in Chicago June 27 placed interest in the case at a new peak.

The fact that an ash man looked through a window at the house at 211 Harewood avenue late the afternoon of Dec. 14 saw a woman on the floor, provided the material for the sixth story on the ten-best list.

Police, entering to investigate a few minutes later, found Mrs. Henry I. Hilsdorf, 39, dead in the hallway and her two children, Helen Jane, 12, and William F., 4-1/2, dead in upstairs bedrooms. The three had died of asphyxiation, probably the morning of the day they were found.

Early in the year, Jan. 14, a major tragedy occurred, when four children perished in a flaming house at Ogdensburg and a fifth died of burns the following day.

The five children of Mr. and Mrs. Adam Petrilli, 811 Riverside avenue, lost their lives as a result of the early morning fire which razed their home. Four of them, Violet, 17; Rita, 12; Martha, 3, and Jean, 6, died in the house. The fifth, Bobby, 10 was rescued from the burning building but died in an Ogdensburg hospital the next day. The mother, a fireman and a neighbor who attempted to save the children were injured.

This tragedy falls in seventh place in The Times’ list.

Eighth comes the deaths of two girl bicycle riders under the wheels of a heavy milk truck in this city the night of May 24.

Dorothy T. Beattie, 11, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Erwin Beattie, 330 South Meadow street and her cousin, Jean M. Beattie, 9, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles B. Beattie, Glen Park, rode to their deaths under the wheels of the milk truck in South Meadow street. They died instantly.

The 250,000 fire which razed the historic academy at Pulaski Dec. 9 ranks ninth in the list of ten. The disaster occurred while no classes were being held, but it meant that temporary quarters for approximately 600 children had to be found in Pulaski during the next few days.

Cullen Death Unexpected.

Attorney Francis E. Cullen, 60, noted lawyer and one of the state’s outstanding Democrats, died in Oswego Aug. 1 of pneumonia. His death was unexpected. Mr. Cullen made his home in Watertown and in Oswego. He was the senior member and founder of the law firm of Cullen, Norris & Reynolds.

Mr. Cullen was one of the best known men in northern New York. The story of his death must be considered in any list of ten. It is placed tenth of the list.

Among 1937’s news stories meriting honorable mention were:

The homicide-suicide at Malone Nov. 19 when Francis H. Hoyos, 25-year-old salesman from Niagara Falls, shot Miss Faith Soper, 26, prominent Malone girl. Hoyos killed Miss Soper in a fit of jealousy after she returned from a trip to New York and Philadelphia, Pa., to witness football games. He then turned the gun on himself.

Still unidentified safe-blowers have successfully robbed 15 safes in the north during the year. Police are still looking for them.

The north country was interested on July 9 and subsequently when filmland’s “phantom of the fairways,” John Montague (LaVerne Moore of Syracuse and former Clayton golf pro) was arrested in Hollywood on a 1930 Essex county robbery charge. Montague later was freed by a jury at Elizabethtown.

Flood waters inundated portions of the north the week of April 6 when heavy rains forced streams over their banks. Property damage was heavy.

Two children lost their lives in this city April 21 in a fire in their home. The children, Marjorie, 18 months, and Marie, 4, daughters of Mr. and Mrs. John Boyle, Grove street, died and their mother was burned trying to rescue them.

Paper Mill Burned.

A $400,000 fire destroyed the Rushmore paper mill at Natural Dam May 5, throwing 165 men out of work.

Henry T. Stevens and Charles A. Waterbury, slayers of Charles M. Salisbury, chairman of the board of the Lacona National Bank, were saved from the electric chair Feb. 17 by Governor Herbert H. Lehman when their sentences were commuted to life imprisonment.

The Lacona bank killing held first place in the list of the ten best news stories in the north for 936.

Frederick S. Coburn, 8, died at the home of Mr. and Mrs. F. C. Miller, 855 West Main street Feb. 21, when the Millers’ ten-year-old boy -- chum of Coburn -- accidentally killed him while the two were playing cowboy and Indian.

The frightened Miller boy hid his friend’s body in the attic, washed his hands and went to the home of his grandparents.

The adoption and use of parking meters in Watertown June 24 made this city the first in the state to try out meters for control of its business section traffic.

The use of the meters has provoked considerable controversy throughout northern New York. The development of the situation has provided an interesting highlight of the past year.

Public attention was focused on Carthage June 1 when the Misses Zehr, Croghan triplets, were married at a triple wedding ceremony. Announcement of the wedding of the three young women and the ceremony itself accounted for widespread interest.

Labor unionization throughout northern New York provided a 1937 highlight. The unionization of several north country industries was achieved without serious trouble from picketing practices.

Killed by Supposed Dud.

George L. Washburn, 9, son of Mr. and Mrs. Leslie R. Washburn, Philadelphia, died of injuries he received Jan. 1 after he tossed a shrapnel shell, found during the summer of 1936, against a telephone pole. The supposed dud exploded, fatally inuring Washburn. Two of his brothers, nearby, escaped unhurt.

Associate Justice of the United State Supreme Court Pierce Butler spent a week at Cape Vincent in August. He came north in the midst of the Black controversy and considerable interest was shown in his visit. Mr. Justice Butler spent his time at Cape Vincent fishing for bass.

Probably the outstanding news event of interest to northern New York’s thousands of sports followers was the rivalry between Watertown High school’s powerful football team and the team from Clearwater, Fla.

The Clearwater team played here Sept. 27. During that week the southern visitors were entertained by local residents at various functions.

The local team’s journey to Clearwater Christmas week, where it trounced the southern eleven 48 to 0 for its third consecutive victory over the Florida team, was another high point in north sports history for 1937.


Item: Pfc. Robert A. Adams, son of Mr. and Mrs. Alton H. Adams, 154 Bowers avenue, has arrived in Camp Stoneman, Calif., where he will remain about two weeks before being sent to the Pacific area. Private Adams was formerly stationed in Fort McClellan, Ala.

Item: Miss Harriet Morris, 616 Lansing street, is a patient at Mercy hospital, where she underwent an operation for appendicitis Monday. Her condition is satisfactory today.


First Wife of Late Dr. Joseph A. Blake, Noted Surgeon, Expires.
Mrs. Catharine Ketchum Blake, 79, of 505 John street, Clayton, first wife of the late Dr. Joseph A. Blake of Litchfield, Conn., noted surgeon, died at 5 Friday afternoon in the Dunlop nursing home at Madrid, where she had been a patient nearly a year.

Mrs. Blake had been in poor health for years and had been confined to her bed for a long period of time. Death was attributed to a heart condition.

Funeral services will be held at the home of her son, Joseph A. Blake, jr., 140 Ten Eyck street, at 2 Monday afternoon. Burial will be made in Brookside cemetery.

Surviving her are two sons, Joseph A. Blake, jr., city, and Francis H. Blake, Clayton, with whom she resided, and three grandchildren, Nancy Ann Blake and Catharine K. M. Blake, Clayton, and Joseph A. Blake, 3d, city.

Mrs. Blake was born in New York Feb. 24, 1867, a daughter of Landon and Ann Augusta Burritt Ketchum.

A resident of Clayton for about 35 years, she lived in a large red brick house on John street at the corner of Huguin street.

She was married to Dr. Joseph Augustus Blake, native of San Francisco, Calif., Dec. 17, 1890, and at that time she was resident of Saugatuck, Conn. Two sons were born of the marriage, Joseph A. and Francis H. Dr. and Mrs. Blake were later divorced.

In 1913 the first Mrs. Blake filed an action for $1,000,000 damages against Mrs. Katherine Alexander Duer Mackay, then the wife of Clarence H. Mackay, who was the head of the Postal Telegraph company, charging her with alienating Dr. Blake’s affections. The suit was settled out of court and both Dr. Blake and the then Mrs. Mackay went to Paris where the latter obtained a French divorce Nov. 28, 1914.

The next day the former Mrs. Mackay was married to Dr. Blake in Paris. Four children were born of the marriage. In 1929 Dr. Blake and his second wife were divorced and eleven days later---July 16, 1929---the doctor, then nearly 65 years old, married Florence Drake, a Toronto nurse. Two children were born of the marriage.

The second Mrs. Blake, who was the mother of Mrs. Irving (Ellin Mackay) Berlin by a previous marriage, died in April, 1930, in New York.

Dr. Blake, one-time professor of surgery in New York, offered his services to France when the first World war broke out and was placed in charge of the American hospital at Neuilly. He became famous for his work with the wounded. After the war, he practiced in New York and later was head of the Tarrytown hospital. In 1937 he and his third wife, with their two sons, purchased an estate at Litchfield, where he died Aug. 12, 1937.

The Mrs. Blake who has just died moved to Clayton shortly after her divorce from the doctor. She had since resided there.

In 1926 she attended a formal reception given for Queen Marie of Rumania in New York when that European sovereign was visiting the United States. The reception was held at the home of Mrs. Richard Tjader, prominent New York society leader and a close friend of Mrs. Blake.

In recent years Mrs. Blake had been living quietly at her spacious Clayton home with her son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Francis Blake.


WHITTIER-BACHNER -- In this city, Sept. 25, 1946, to Robert Whittier, 123 Gale street, and Miss Rose Bachner, 619 Hancock street, typist.

Visit Relatives.
Philadelphia, Oct. 22. -- Mr. and Mrs. Milton Sprague, son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Kent Sprague of Camillus, visited Mr. Sprague’s brother and sister-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Sprague, Sunday.

They plan to leave Wednesday for New Orleans, La., for the winter, traveling with trailers.

GALE -- In the Mercy hospital, Oct. 7, 1946, Mrs. Nellie Dorchester Gale, wife of George M. Gale of Depauville, aged 72 years. Funeral services from the home in Depauville, Thursday afternoon at 1:30 and from the Depauville Methodist church at 2. Rev. Robert Wright, pastor of the Methodist church will officiate. Burial will be in the Depauville cemetery.

Photo: Ruins Left by Tornado at the Drake Farm, Philadelphia - four photos - “The above pictures show the ruins of the buildings on Earl Drake’s farm, Philadelphia, following the tornado July 19, 1935. Above, left to right, Wall and ruins of house. Below - ruins of house, and barn left standing.


Rensselaer Falls, May 2 (46) -- Mr. and Mrs. Walter Perry of Rensselaer Falls announce the marriage of their daughter, Eunice Lucile, to Arthur Wellesley Sheppard of Port Henry. The ceremony was performed by Rev. A. J. Sunderland of Moriah at the Methodist parsonage at 4 p.m. April 18.

The bride wore a sea foam crepe dress and a pink flower hat. Her accessories were black patent leather and she wore a corsage of pink roses and white sweet peas.

The bride, who is a teacher in Port Henry public school, is a graduate of Rensselaer Falls High school and Potsdam State Teachers’ college. She received her baccalaureate degree from state college for teachers, Albany.

The bridegroom, who is a Port Henry game warden, attended Ticonderoga Hill school and for the past 14 years has been employed by the New York State Conservation Department. Mr. Sheppard served three years with the armed forces, two of which were overseas. He served in Guadalcanal and Hawaii.

Mr. and Mrs. Sheppard will make their home at 19 Church street, Port Henry.


Photo: Married At Bryn Manor - Mrs. Russell Wright and Russell Wright - separate photos
Ceremony At Bryn Manor Presbyterian Church
Assemblyman and Mrs. Wright Will Make
Their Residence at 274 Ten Eyck Street--
Rev. W. P. Moody, Formerly of City, Officiates

Miss Merle G. Ives, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur C. Ives of 254 Flower avenue west, and Assemblyman Russell Wright of 274 Ten Eyck street were married Sunday at 4 p.m. at the Bryn Manor Park Presbyterian church at Bryn Manor, N. Y. Rev. W. P. Moody, minister of the church and a former minister of Stone Street Presbyterian church of this city, performed the ceremony which was attended by the immediate families of the bride and bridegroom.

The bride was given in marriage by her father, Arthur C. Ives, former city councilman. The couples’ only attendant was Miss Dora Daily of Clayton, niece of the bridegroom, who acted as flower girl.

Guests at the ceremony were Mr. and Mrs. Arthur C. Ives, parents of the bride; Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Arthur Ives of New York, brother and sister-in-law of the bride; Mrs. Eva Daily and Miss Dora Daily, sister and niece of the bridegroom. Mr. Wright and his bride will reside at 274 Ten Eyck street.

Mrs. Wright was graduated from Vassar College with the class of 1924. In the fall of 1924 she became associated with the teaching staff of the Watertown High school as teacher of English, resigning in 1927 to accept the position of assistant dean and an instructor at the Mount Ida School for Girls, Newton, Mass. For the past few years she has been teaching at a Rochester school.

Mr. Wright has practiced law here for the past eleven years and is a member of the firm of Cosgrove, Harter, Scanlon and Wright. For ten years he served on the board of supervisors of Jefferson County and was chairman of the board for more than a year, resigning last May.

In the fall of 1934 he was elected to the state assembly and is a candidate for reelection. Mr. Wright was born at Theresa, a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Alton O. Wright.

Mrs. Wright is a sister of Vernon Arthur Ives, a member of the printing house of William E. Rudge’s Sons, New York. Vernon Arthur Ives’ marriage to Miss Helen Dawson Thompson of Bronxville took place in August, 1930, Rev. Mr. Moody officiating at the ceremony.


Dexter Man Describes Life in Alaskan Wilds
Temperature 43 Below as Former Assemblyman Alfred
E. Emerson Writes Letter

Former Assemblyman Alfred E. Emerson, Dexter, who is spending the year in the wilds of Alaska, where he went several months ago, has written of his experiences in a letter received here by friends from Circle, Alaska, which place it left last Dec. 28 after covering the first lap of the journey by dog-sledge (sic).

The letter is dated, Charley River, Alaska, Dec. 11, when the thermometer registered 43 degrees below zero.

“This is the first that I have stayed around the cabin because it was cold,” states Mr. Emerson. “My hands and nose bother me most to keep warm. I touched my nose in good shape Thanksgiving day and the temperature was only 34 degrees below zero.

“I wear a pair of Siwash moccasins, heavy felt insoles and four pairs of woolen socks and that keeps my feet warm.

“I left Eagle Sept. 19 after the steamer came down. Brought a sack of mail to the woodcutters’ camp at the mouth of Sheep creek, and when I got down to the mouth of Nation river a couple of fellows who were building a cabin there hailed me and I stayed with them that night. I had a sack of mail for Nation, which is about three miles farther down on the opposite side of the river. The post-office is just a painted box on a post marked, “Nation.”

“Continued on to Mr. Biederman’s where I stayed that night. Had mail and merchandise for him. He has a mammoth’s tusk that measures 10-1/2 feet on the outside curve. It came from up the Charley creek or Kandik river, which flows into the Yukon from the north opposite this place. He says they find those remains in blue clay up that river.

“left his place in the morning , came down and started up Charley river. Geese were flocking on the Yukon and the birch and poplar were getting quite yellow on the mountains. I was about two miles up Charley river when I ran into a bull moose. I was within 75 feet of one feeding in the willows.

“I stopped over a day at a cabin four miles up the river. The water was so high it was just about impossible to pull my boat with 800 pounds in it. One night I was looking for a place to camp when I fell down and got wet.

“It rained every day and I used three days of that week going over and visiting Mr. Johnson on Ben Creek and Mr. Reynolds on Sam creek about 15 miles west. I had a pup tent over the front of the boat and a canvas over the hack, and I slept under the pup tent.

“Continued on up the river to Sylvia creek where I intended to build a cache and leave some of my load, but I could not find any trees suitable for a cache, so I reroofed an old cabin whose side logs were in good condition and cached 350 pounds in racks up in the top.

“The day I got to the cabin I saw a caribou crossing up the river and went across and shot a fine bull.

“The evening of Sept. 19 I saw a bull moose crossing the river below camp, but I did not try to get him for I planned to leave the next morning. As I was getting ready to leave I saw a boat coming up the other side of the river. It was John Wallen and Tome Lewis, who had come over from Fairbanks. They were going up to Hyland creek and had a polling boat with 2,000 pounds in it. They left 75 pounds here and went on up the river. The next day I saw a grizzly bear across the river. I took three shots at him, but he had gone into the thick brush and we thought it prudent not to follow him.

“All of these nights camping out we were sleeping on the frozen ground, and had to thaw and dry our boots and socks out in the morning before we could put them on.

“Got to Sylvia cabin Friday in a snow storm and here I am. Sunday, Oct. 9, anchor ice started running by and by Tuesday it had closed the river about three miles below here. Anchor ice will freeze to the rocks on the bottom in places here and build right up.

“John Wallen was swept off his feet, lost a new .300 Savage bolt-action rifle and all but drowned in trying to get back to the Hyland cabin. A bear got the hide and three-fourths of the moose that they hung up in the tree. It is now December 22 and I haven’t seen a head of big game since I came back here. I saw one flock of ptarmigan, about 15 in it, and have shot three spruce grouse, snared a few rabbits and had a wolverine eat the rabbits out of a snare.

“The wolverines got the bear meat Tom hung in the tree. We had some bear steak and it was excellent. I didn’t see any grayling going down the river this fall. There are a few martin, a few wolves, some wolverine, and a very few foxes here. I shot at two wolves up the river one afternoon, but they were too far away. I have seen some wolf tracks that I could step in with the ball of my foot and it would not crowd them.

“I cut one dead spruce for wood that was about 13-1/2 inches across the stump and 85 feet tall. I measured it. Nearly half the stoves in these cabins are made of two five-gallon kerosine or gas cans. Five gallons of kerosene cost me $4.25 in Eagle.

“There are bout six hours of daylight and it is like indirect lighting. There has been a strong wind in the hills the past three days and that is the first wind I have heard since I came here. The snow came on the trees in October and stayed right through not enough wind to tell what direction it was.

“The mercury was 12 above zero this morning. The thermometer registers about ten degrees colder down on the river than it does on the cabin, so it must have been about 53 degrees below zero when I started this letter.”


Miss Florence Bertrand Engaged to Leo Carpenter (46)
Ogdensburg, July 12. -- The forthcoming marriage of Miss Florence Margaret Bertrand, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Bertrand, 705 Albany avenue, to Leo Carpenter, jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Leo Carpenter, 121 Lafayette street, was announced here today by the parents of the bride-to-be.

Miss Bertrand was graduated from Ogdensburg Free Academy, class of 1945, and is now a cadet nurse at the St. Lawrence State hospital school of nursing. At the present time she is an affiliate at the Morrisiana hospital in New York city.

He attended Immaculate Heart academy in Watertown enlisting in the navy in 1943 while still at school. He was honorably discharged in May with a rating of hospital apprentice, first class, after service in the Atlantic and Caribbean.

He is now attending the summer school session at Ogdensburg Free academy and will continue his studies in the fall at the University of Rochester where he will major in chemistry.

No date has been set for the marriage.


Photo: COUPLE WED AT CLAYTOn -- Miss Elizabeth Gowdy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Calvin J. Gowdy of R. D. 1, Lafargeville, was married to Roland C. O’Riley, son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl O’Riley, 330 Gale street, Watertown, at 2 p.m. Sunday in the Methodist church, Clayton. Seated are Mr. and Mrs. O’Riley. Standing, left to right, Mrs. Harold Berkman, sister of the bridegroom, matron of honor; Harold Gowdy, brother of the bride, best man; Sheridan O’Riley and Harlow O’Riley, both brothers of the bridegroom, ushers.

Photo: WILL BE GRADUATED -- Miss Grace Gamble Atkinson, left, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Walter S. Atkinson, and Miss Ann Gulick, right, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Horace S. Gulick, will be graduated from the Emma Willard school at Troy at the annual commencement exercises to be held there Sunday morning.

Clayton, April 29. -- Lieut. George O. Gillick, son of Mrs. Ethel P. and the late George O. Gillick has received an honorable discharge from the naval medical corps. He and his wife, the former Kathleen Murray, and his eleven-months-old daughter, Kathleen Mary, are visiting at the home of his mother before opening a dental office in Watertown.

Dr. Gillick entered the U. S. naval reserve in June, 1942, while attending Tufts Dental school, Boston, Mass., under the initial naval educational program. He graduated in 1943 and was ordered to active duty at Newport, R. I. He served as a dentist on the fleet repair ships Kanthus, St. Lake City and Thurston, and participated in the occupation of Japan.

He holds the Asiatic-Pacific ribbon with one star. On his return to the United States on board the Thurston, he was met in New York city by his wife and daughter.


She and Her Associate To Reside At Adams
Dr. Gannett Has Practiced Medicine in Jefferson County
For the Past 31 Years---Miss Lightbourn, a Registered Nurse, Is a
Native of Bermuda
Dr. Lois L. Gannett, who has practiced medicine in Jefferson county for the past 31 years, will retire within the next few months and will remove to Adams where she will establish her residence. Miss Lina Lightbourn, registered nurse, who has been associated with Dr. Gannett, also will retire at that time and will reside at Adams with Dr. Gannett.

The doctor’s retirement is made with the view of having less responsibility. She is endeavoring to locate a woman who will take over her physiotherapy equipment and carry on her work.

Dr. Gannett has maintained offices at 532-536 Woolworth building since the erection of the building in 1921. She opened her first medical office in 1904 on Church street west at Adams and a few years later she and Miss Lightbourn built the house in Adams now occupied by E. W. Clark. In 1921 Dr. Gannett and Miss Lightbourn came to this city and opened offices in the Woolworth building.

In 1889 Dr. Gannett was graduated from the School of Nursing of the Hospital of the Good Shepherd in Syracuse, now the University hospital. She was appointed in charge of St. Barnabas hospital at Minneapolis, Minn., and held this position for two years, resigning at the time of her marriage to Warren E. Gannett of Baldwinsville.

Her husband died in 1900 and in the fall of that year she enrolled in the college of medicine, Syracuse university. She was graduated in 1904 and was the only woman in a class of 31. Dr. Gannett went to Philadelphia, Pa., where she took a course in obstetrics at the Woman’s hospital which is connected with the Woman’s College of Medicine. She then returned to Adams to begin with the practice of medicine.

Dr. Gannett was born at Woodville, a daughter of William and Sophia Leffingwell Eastman. Her brother, R. S. Eastman, resides at the family homestead. When two years of age her parents removed to Belleville. She prepared for college at Ives seminary at Antwerp. (photo of Mrs. Gannett included)

LINSTRUTH -- In the House of the Good Samaritan, Sept. 10, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. Robert Linstruth, city, a son, Michael John, weighing eight pounds.

Item: October 29, 1896. The corner stone of the new Church of the Redeemer on the North Side will be laid Nov. 5. Rt. Rev. Frederick D. Huntington of Syracuse will preside at the ceremony.

GRAVES -- At Clayton, Oct. 9, 1946, Samuel G. Graves, 730 Graves street, Clayton, aged 73 years.

Photo: BECOMES BRIDE -- Miss Gordon L. Alton, the former Miss A. Anne Livingston, 221 North Pearl avenue, became the bride of Mr. Alton last Sunday in a ceremony performed at Hope Presbyterian church. Mrs. Alton is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Anson E. Livingston. Mr. Alton is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Alton, 922 Boyd street.

Photo: HEADS CHORAL GROUP -- Mrs. Theodore B. Swan of this city, was this week elected president of the Watertown Community Chorus, one of Watertown’s leading vocal organizations.

LABEAU-MARRIAM -- In this city, Sept. 24, 1946, to Charles LaBeau, 728 South Hamilton street, radio repairman, and Miss Betty Marriam, 535 Olive street, telephone operator.

SCHNEIDER -- In this city, Sept. 11, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. John Schneider, 585 Water street, a son, John William, weighing eight pounds, twelve ounces.

Item: Miss Patricia Shannon, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Shannon, 629 Gotham street, entered the House of the Good Samaritan Wednesday for treatment of a respiratory infection.

WIGHT-HIGGINS -- In this city, Oct. 9, 1946, to Paul F. Wright, 729 Lansing street, apprentice pharmacist, and Miss Jean Marie Higgins, 145 Sterling street, secretary.


Engagement of Miss Sternberg and Mayor Patch Announced---Wedding in June
Announcement of the engagement of Miss Marjorie Sternberg, Depauville, to newly elected mayor of Clayton, James G. Patch, was made last week Wednesday, the wedding to take place in June.

The bride to be (photo included) is the daughter of Ex-Supervisor W. Fred Sternberg and Mrs. Sternberg of Depauville. She is now teaching at Scottsville, N. Y. The announcement was made at an evening dinner bridge party at the Roosevelt apartments, Rochester, with 16 members of the Scottsville school faculty present.

She is a graduate of the Clayton High school, ‘27; Watertown School of Commerce, ‘28; and the Crane Department of Music, Potsdam Normal, ‘31. She has exceptional musical talent and received recognition, broadcasting over the radio. At present she is supervisor of music at Scottsville, which position she has held since graduation.

As recent issues of our paper have told, Mayor Patch (photo included), elected at the last village election, is the youngest mayor in the state, being only 25. graduate of Clayton high school, ’26, and High Point College, North Carolina, ‘33. He assumed the duties of his office last Monday. He is the son of Mrs. Harriett and the late William Patch, and is now employed by the Otis Brooks Lumber Co.

Both are popular young people, well known throughout this section, with many friends who join with us in extending congratulations.


Item: New School Trustee Elected
Depauville public school, district No. 6, held its annual school meeting Tuesday evening with S. J. Mathews chairman and Fred Sternberg, clerk. A new trustee, W. F. Huchzermeier, in place of E. G. Dintelman, who has served for the past nine years, was elected.

Other officials named: Clerk, Fred Sternberg; collector, Lilly Gale; treasurer, E. G. Eckert.

The following teachers have signed contracts for the coming year: E. C. Radley, principal; Ethel Spencer, intermediate; Flora Lee, primary.


Married to Albert F. Hyde, City---Couple to Reside Here.
Miss Rachel D. Wheeler, daughter of Harold E. Wheeler, 429 East Hoard street, and the late Mrs. Wheeler, and Albert F. Hyde, son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert C. Hyde, 625 Sherman street, were married in the chapel of the First Presbyterian church Tuesday evening.

The marriage ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. Charles K. Imbrie. The couple was attended by David F. Farrington and Miss Mary Lou Austin. A reception was held at the Cold Creek Inn following the ceremony.

The bride was attired in a beige suit with a flower hat and harmonizing accessories. She wore a camelia corsage. Miss Austin was attired in a dark blue suit with harmonizing accessories and she wore a corsage of red roses.

Mr. Hyde is a graduate of the Watertown High school. He served with the Third army in a tank battalion in the European theater and was discharged in October. He is employed at the Agricultural Insurance company.

Mrs. Hyde is also a graduate of the Watertown High school and is employed by A. M. Phillips, printers. The couple will reside in Watertown.


First Book by Clifton Hicks, Graduate of Malone
School for Deaf, Will be Published.
New York, April 9. -- Island Press will publish on May 20 “The Little Lion,” a first novel by Clifton Hicks, set in the North Country. The story describes the hardships and happiness of a pioneer family in Duane in 1856 and the major portion of the book is devoted to life in Duane and St. Regis Falls at that hectic period in American history.

The author, Clifton Hicks, is a son of the late Fred Hicks, a section foreman in Antwerp and Philadelphia. His mother, Mrs. M. J. Sprague, moved from Philadelphia to Pine Camp a few years ago. Hicks, who is 95 per cent deaf, graduated from the Malone School for the Deaf in 1924 and from Colgate university, Calif., in 9128. About ten years ago, Hicks went to Los Angeles, Calif., where he met a man who was born in Duane, and who inspired the book, “The Little Lion.”

The Little Lion” is the story of Samuel William Taylor, stunted in size, and the part he played in shaping America’s growth.


Photos of Floods which struck parts of Pennsylvania and New York State, including Chaumont. (year not designated) Photos of flood damage in the North Country's community of Chaumont were:

SECOND CHAUMONT FLOOD - This photograph shows the concrete state highway submerged in the water in the foreground. The Grange hall is in the background and the corner of a residence shows at the extreme right.

REBUILDING A ROAD SHOULDER - The force of the second Chaumont flood is graphically pictured in this photograph. The photo was taken looking towards the stricken village as state road workers were starting to replace the tons of fill swept away by the second flood Tuesday night.

The water, sweeping down the slight grade at this point, cut down for seven feet into the road shoulder. The concrete sidewalk, shown at the left, was completely washed out. At this point and others the state road was badly undermined by flood waters.

A HUGE FLOOD WATER SCAR - One of the best examples of the force of the Chaumont flood water Tuesday night is to be observed in the gaping sear in the earth just southeast of the highway washout. This photograph shows the result of the eddying flood water from Horse creek, about two blocks away normally.

The big tree in the center of the ravine originally stood on solid ground where the hole now yawns. The piece of piping to the right is part of a sewer system going into Sawmill bay. This sear is over twelve feet deep and covers a fairly large area.

GRANGE HALL WHICH WAS THREATENED - The Chaumont Grange hall was dangerously threatened by the flood waters of Sunday and Tuesday night. This photograph made while the angry Horse creek water was still pounding away at its foundation Wednesday morning shows how the whole left end stone and mortar was washed away. Water was pouring through a hole to the right and out the back wall.

The portion of concrete wall shown at the extreme left of the picture is the normal south side of Horse creek. A few yards north the heavy wall was swept away, loosing (sic) the turbulent flood waters on the Grange hall foundation.


Service Resumed on Railroad After Wash-Outs Are Filled in
Creeks Still Flow Rapidly---Three Feet Of Top Dirt Gone in Places
Buildings Swirled From Foundations Being Torn Down---Red Cross Survey
of Chaumont Area Ordered---Lowland Crops Still Under Water in Stone Mills Section.

Residents of the water-scarred Chaumont-Stone Mills sections, hard hit by flood ravages after a series of cloudbursts Sunday, were today readjusting themselves to normal conditions. Road washouts were temporarily repaired, flooded houses were drying out but lowland farmers throughout that section of Jefferson county saw their fields still flooded and their crops probably ruined.

Railroad service between Watertown and Cape Vincent on the St. Lawrence division, New York Central railroad system, was resumed today after necessary repair work was completed at the washout at the Mill Creek rail road bridge Sunday during the flood.

Following inspection of the damaged fill Monday morning by Division Engineer P. L. Barker work of restoration was commenced under the direction of L. W. Stone, supervisor of bridges and buildings, and O. R. Mench, supervisor of tracks.

According to railroad officials, there were 500 cubic yards of till used Monday and at 6 p.m. the tracks were ready for travel by light trains.

Today the train to and from Cape Vincent made its regular trip. More fill is being used and the tracks are being leveled off. There were wash-outs of about 130 feet at each end of the stone bridge and also along the banks of the creek near the bridge. The tracks and ties were from two to eight feet from the ground after the washout.

Mayor L. E. Daniels of Chaumont, the severest hit section, said that by nightfall “everything will be back to normal in the village.” Traffic is operating over all the roads in the flood section but at Stone Mills, where the road shoulders were completely washed away, a flagman is being kept constantly on duty to direct one-way traffic.

S. S. McCumber, city, chairman of the Jefferson County Chapter of the American Red Cross, announced today that he has notified officials of the Chaumont local chapter to investigate to ascertain if any residents of that village need financial or medical aid as a result of the flood.

“If there are needy people in the flood section who suffered the Red Cross organization of this county stands ready to aid them,” Mr. McCumber said.

Gary Putman, Chaumont resident who suffered flood loss when his residence was soaked by the maddened Horse Creek torrent and his Pontiac coach swept away, found the car Monday afternoon a half mile away in the Chaumont bay water near Crescent Yacht club. The flood swept the car into Horse creek and it apparently was rolled along bottom.

The car body was destroyed but Mr. Putman believes the chassis is worth salvaging. The car was taken from the water Monday night and will be moved back to Mr. Putman’s home today.

The two buildings which were moved bodily by the flood waters were being demolished today, said Mayor Daniels. A storehouse, owned by L. E. Peck, was jammed between the Joynt store and warehouse. The Peck building was so badly damaged that it was deemed advisable to salvage the lumber in it.

A small building in the rear of the postoffice was swept off its foundations. It was demolished for lumber. The Peck warehouse was moved more than 30 feet.

Smaller buildings along Horse creek, which were moved away by the water, were badly damaged and they have been demolished for lumber, said the mayor.

The state highway department has moved a steam shovel into the quarry at Chaumont for road repair work. The section of the highway at the bridge, where two blocks of concrete were wrecked, is being temporarily repaired. Permanent repairs are being made to the damaged road shoulders. The roads at Chaumont are open to traffic while repairs are being completed.

“There was a lot of water damage in cellars and to wiring and motors,” said Mayor Daniels. “The streets have been cleared of debris.”

The creeks in the flood section have subsided considerably but the water is still flowing rapidly in them. However, it is not considered that today’s water levels are high enough to do further damage.

The state road through Stone Mills is open to traffic, said John Irwin, village store proprietor.

“There is only one-way traffic though,” he said, “and a flagman is being kept on duty day and night to warn motorists to caution.”

Mr. Irwin said that the two houses at Stone Mills which were flooded Sunday “are drying up in good shape with not much damage to the buildings.”

He said that a “lot of stone from the shoulders of the road was washed down the creek and cannot be re-claimed. Fill will have to be drawn in to rebuild the shoulders, I think.”

The soil about the Byron Ellis home at Stone Mills was washed down to bed rock, said Mr. Irwin. “The water took away three feet of the topsoil and the garden there was washed down into the creek.” He said that the lowland farm crops were still under water and that the hay and corn in the lowland area “is probably ruined.”

Between ten and 15 acres of hay has been destroyed on the Dr. A. L. Tinkess farm where loose soil was washed up by the flood.

Mr. Irwin estimated that a $15,000 loss in the Stone Mills region “would be conservative.”

Workmen were busy today repairing part of the road at Depauville while the low farm lands in that section were still partially inundated.

Northern New York received a light rain Monday night and early this morning. In Watertown and vicinity the rainfall was .09 inch, according to F. A. Helin, Times’ weather observer, which brings the July total rainfall 1.37 inches.

Black river is not rising to any extent. The flow at 8 a.m. today was 4,500 cubic feet per second, a rise of 500 cubic feet per second since Monday morning.

Temperatures remain summerlike, with Monday’s high being 81 above. The low over night was 70 above.

Photo: View looking across bridge at Stone Mills toward Lafargeville, showing destruction of highway and some of the debris left in its wake after the flood water had receded.


Item: Cars Damaged As Trailer Rolls Down Mill St. Hill
Two automobiles were damaged when a tractor trailer rolled down the Mill street hill and jack-knifed into traffic Monday afternoon at 5:10. No one was injured

The heavy trailer, owned by James A. Smith of the Bronx, was being towed by James Lathan, 1120 Washington street, when the tow chain broke as it neared the crest of the hill near the square. The trailer then rolled backward, colliding first with a parked car bearing a Canadian license and then jack-knifed, hitting a car belonging to Gerald Montondo, 659 Burlington street, parked at the east curb. (11-12-46)

Photo: “The Devil’s Oven” island where Bill Johnston hid. Picture shows small opening through which Kate provided her father with food.

Cave-Man and King
In the Islands of the St. Lawrence are many caves unknown to casual visitors. Some are small and shallow--mere cells. Some are wide and deep--caverns which few human feet have penetrated. Within these larger caves men might remain concealed indefinitely; for the forces of nature which created them, also planted trees, and made screens of bushes and shaped limestone cunningly, to camouflage the entrances. Continually, they are changing, too, for these same forces, ever restless like the souls of men, remould them, close up old interiors, cause boulders to fall, and trees to be uprooted, and familiar signs to disappear. Generations ago they were the haunts of Indians and traders in times of refuge for freebooters and fugitives. Some such purpose they still serve, perhaps, in the war of American law against Canadian liquor.

Enter S. L. U.
Philadelphia, Oct. 2. -- Marjorie and Albert Suits, daughter and son of Rev. and Mrs. Walter J. Suits, leave today to enter St. Lawrence university, Canton.

GRANT -- At Clayton, Oct. 27, 1946, Robert D. Grant, 519 John street, Clayton, aged 74 years. Funeral Wednesday afternoon at 2 from the family home, with Rev. William H. Cole, officiating. Burial will be made in Clayton cemetery. Please omit flowers.

Mrs. June Snyder Townsend, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Snyder of 313 McClelland street, with whom she resides, has been granted an interlocutory degree of annulment from Thurman H. Townsend of Riverview, W. A., by Supreme Court Justice J. Page Morehouse of Oswego.

The case was tried before Justice Morehouse April 23. Attorney Ray W. Merrill, city, appearing for the plaintiff and there being no contest. The suit was maintained on the ground that the plaintiff was only 17 and therefore under the age of consent at the time of her marriage to the defendant in this city April 13, 1942. At that time Townsend was a soldier at Pine Camp. He is now out of the service.

Plaintiff and defendant separated Sept. 7, 1942, having lived together less than five months. After their separation Townsend went overseas and plaintiff joined the Wacs and served 18 months. Under the decree of annulment she is permitted to resume her maiden name, Snyder.

Item: Mr. and Mrs. Ernest L. Shaver and their daughter, Miss Mildred E. Shaver, Watertown, R. D. 4, will leave by automobile Friday for Orlando, Fla. Mr. and Mrs. Shaver will spend the winter in Florida and Miss Shaver will return to Watertown by plane in two weeks. Miss Shaver is employed as stenographer in the local army recruiting office in the Federal building.

Donald E. Conant, of the office personnel of the International Harvester company, has been transferred to the Binghamton office of the company as manager. He left his home at 723 Holcomb street Sunday and began his new work Monday morning.

Mr. Conant returned last December after four and one half years in the army, 20 months of which were in Iran with the American army medical corps. He returned to his work with the International Harvester company where he had been employed before entering the service after one week’s vacation following his honorable discharge at Fort Dix, N. J.

His mother, Mrs. William Conant, will return to Clayton to make her home for the present. She was for eight years and a half housekeeper for Capt. Fred Marshall, 417 James street, who has been a patient at the Hall nursing home on Coffeen street for the past five weeks will again occupy his home and Mrs. Conant will return to her position there.


Miss Marilyn Grace Montondo, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Montondo, 659 Lansing street, and Burt Taylor Washer, son of Mr. and Mrs. Moses A. Washer, 644 Burlington street, were married this morning at 9 in the rectory of the Church of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart by Rev. Benoit Dostie.

Mr. and Mrs. Robert A. Montondo, 235 St. Mary street, were the attendants. A wedding breakfast was held at the home of the bride’s parents following the ceremony and the couple left on a wedding trip. They will reside at 659 Lansing street when they return.

The bride was attired in a cherry colored street-length dress with black accessories. She wore a corsage of white roses. Her attendant was attired in a navy blue dress with tan accessories and had a corsage of red roses.

Mrs. Washer received her early education in the public schools of the city and attended Watertown High school. Mr. Washer also attended the Watertown schools, including Watertown High school. He entered the army Nov. 1, 1943, and served in the European theater of operations. He was wounded in action during the D-Day operations in France. He is presently employed by Gillette and Sons dairy.


Old Watertown and Vicinity in Pictures No. 12

"Unusually fine is this photograph of the south and west sides of Public Square showing the old Paddock and American buildings, the Fairbanks or Flatiron building at the junction of Court and Arsenal streets and a glancing view of the south side of the old Washington Hall block."

It was unquestionably taken in the late 1860’s as a sign shows there was a bank in the Fairbanks block and in 1866 Charles H. Harger & Son began a banking business there which was continued about ten years.

E. W. Peterson, grocer, Penniman & Kitts, dealers in boots and shoes, and Lepper & Curtis, operators of the Cataract Mills for the grinding of flour and feed, had stores in the Washington Hall block.

T. W. Perry had a music store, in which he also sold Wheeler & Wilson sewing machines, in the Paddock Arcade.

As today there was also a barber shop in the Arcade and to the right of the entrance Lyttle, Hanford & Company had a book store. On the second floor insurance offices were located as indicated by the signs of the Lorrilard, Home & Enterprise insurance companies.

Herrick & Ayers conducted a dry goods store to the north of the book store and next came T. H. Camp & Company’s drug store. The H. P. Cooke dry goods store adjoined it and then came the First National bank approximately where the entrance to the Woolworth building is today. W. Sawens & Company manufactured and sold Sawen’s Cough Balsam in the first southerly store in the American building, and then came Hagar & Beebee’s jewelry store. On the corner was Moore, Freeman & Company’s store advertising dry goods. “Yankee Notions,” jewelry, “trade supplied at New York jobber’s prices.”

Over the bank in the Fairbanks block was a barber shop and below the bank on the Court street side John D. Newman had a printing establishment.

Wooster Sherman’s bank was where the Watertown National bank now is.


BOOTH-ARMSTRONG - In this city, Oct. 12, 1946, in Asbury Methodist church, by Rev. Dr. George H. McClung, Pfc. Carl W. Booth, U. S. army, 527 Mundy street and Miss Augusta Armstrong, 422 Lincoln street.

Mrs. Nina Bertrand, 39, of 426 Bridge street, was given a three-month suspended sentence in city court Monday where she pleaded guilty to petit larceny.

Mrs. Bertrand was apprehended in the F. W. Woolworth & Co. store Saturday afternoon by Colin Campbell, manager, who accused her of shoplifting. She was turned over to police and Detective John L. Touchette said she admitted shoplifting activities at the Woolworth and Fishman stores.

Mr. and Mrs. William I. Graf, 211 Clinton street, will observe their 20th wedding anniversary at their home Thursday, Thanksgiving day. There will be a family dinner at the Graf home following the Watertown High school-Lackawanna High school holiday game in the afternoon.

Mr. Graf is director of athletics at the Watertown High school, a position he has held almost continuously since September, 1926.

Mrs. Graf is the former Miss Helen Dygert of Gouverneur. Mr. and Mrs. Graf were married at Gouverneur Thanksgiving day, Nov. 28, 1926. They have four children: William I., jr., David, Helen and Phyllis Graf.


(Special to The Times.)
Depauville, April 26. -- Mrs. Emma Schnauber Lowe, 77, life-long resident of this section, died at 3:30 this morning at her home in this village, where she lived alone. She was stricken suddenly while burning papers in her garden Monday afternoon, and died this morning without regaining consciousness.

Funeral services will be held Monday afternoon at 2 at her home, Rev. Robert E. Wright, pastor of the Depauville Methodist church, officiating. Burial will be in Depauville cemetery.

Mrs. Lowe was a former teacher in district schools in the town of Clayton, and after taking a correspondence course in practical nursing, served as a practical nurse in Depauville and vicinity for many years. She was a member of the Methodist church and of the Depauville grange.

She was born in the town of Clayton May 27, 1868, a daughter of Augustus and Elizabeth Swind Schnauber. She attended district schools, later serving as a teacher. She was married to Charles M. Lowe in this village June 30, 1920, Rev. J. A. Sherlock, Methodist minister, officiating. Mr. Lowe died here Jan. 23, 1938.

Mrs. Lowe was the last of seven children. She is survived by five nephews and nieces, Edward L. Hawes of Redwood, Miss Ina Hawes of Alexandria Bay, Albert Hawes and Mrs. Bertha Haller of Lafargeville and Miss Claire Schnauber of Ogdensburg.


Photo: How Islands Bridge Will Look from Air When Completed
Robinson & Steinman, bridge engineers, New York city, have prepared a profile drawing showing the region of the Thousand Islands to be served by the Thousand Islands international toll bridge now in process of construction.

The profile shows all three spans of the bridge as it will look when completed, together with the exact route of the connecting state highway to be built across Wells Island.

At the extreme left is the American span crossing from Collins Landing, N. Y., on the New York state mainland over the American or south channel of the St. Lawrence river; then the state highway swinging around the head of the Lake of the Isles to connect with the little International Rift concrete span, and then the Canadian span at the extreme right with its north approach at Ivy Lea., Ont. The picture shows the layout looking westerly towards Lake Ontario.


Miss Doris M. Aldrich, 135 South Massey street, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Aldrich of Potsdam, became the bride of Robert J. Herse, son of Mrs. Gertrude Herse, 110 West Lynde street and the late William J. Herse in a double ring ceremony performed Thursday afternoon in Elkton, Md., by Rev. Mr. Sturgill.

The bride wore a white street length dress styled with a sweetheart neckline and matching accessories. Her corsage was of red roses.

Mrs. Herse is a graduate of the Potsdam High school and the Watertown school of commerce. For the past three years she has been employed by the New York Central railroad as a clerk.

Mr. Herse attended schools in Watertown and has also been employed for the past four years on the New York Central railroad as an assistant foreman.

After a two weeks’ wedding trip to New York city, Washington, D. C., Philadelphia, Pa., and Baltimore, Md., the couple will reside at 135 South Massey street.

Mr. Herse was divorced from Mrs. Dorothy H. VandeWalker Herse whom he married in July, 1937, following a separation three years ago.


North Country Visits


Operations of Underground Railroad for Transporta-
tion of Slaves to Canada Is Recall---Hugh Smith,
Member of Quaker Family and Perch River Mer-
chant, Was Generally Thought to Be One of the
Northern New York Persons Aiding in the Opera-
tion of the Underground Railroad.


The Underground Railway.

Around 85 years ago one could hear much about the “underground railway” in northern New York and those well versed in local events knew full well that it was in operation for by its workings runaway slaves were being taken from the southland and put across the St. Lawrence river into Canada and freedom.

Today the workings of that railroad are well nigh forgotten, yet one hears references to it in travels about the section, especially when near the St. Lawrence river. The railway had to have stations, for it was in these stations that the slaves were hidden and cared for over rest periods and as often as not this rest period would be in the day time so travel could be at night. One gentleman in northern New York told that when he was a small boy he could recall one room in the house and one place in the barn where his father told him not to enter. And he could recall that sometimes in the night he would hear a rig drive in and, after a whispered conversation, drive out and away in the night. There would be nights when his father would disappear and the next day the light wagon might be in the barn, covered with wet mud and the horses resting in the barn. It became known to the boy that the rigs coming in during the night were those of some kindly man far below to the south and that in that rig would be one or more runaway slaves. Maybe a husband and wife who would be lucky enough to united upon their flight towards the north. After these runaways were cared for during the day by his father in the secret rooms, he, in turn, would take the light wagon, the fast team, and spirit the runaways on towards freedom.

As one travels about Perch River looking for historical events of former years, there is suggestions of the underground railway and the opinion is expressed that the village of Perch River was once a station on this important line.

In the early days of Jefferson county there came a Quaker family from Bucks county, in Pennsylvania, to the region where General Jacob Brown had settled and spoken of so highly, Brownville, and there the father and mother and several children located. They were of the true Quaker stock, abhorred slavery and were of a very philanthropic nature. They were the kind of people that General Brown liked to have settle in his new land. But the father died not long after the coming to Brownville and one of the sons, Hugh Smith, only a boy entering his teens, began to care for the family. The family was in debt for the lands they had purchased and there were expenses in the sickness of the father, but little by little the mother, with the devotion of her children, was able to clear these debts.

Hugh Smith worked on the farm summers and attended school what time he could spare in the winter. Later he taught school winters. In 1836 he married Charlotte Spicer of Perch River and it was at that time he started upon his business venture at Perch River, for he bought lands and took over the business of a country store keeper. He was successful and naturally forged ahead. He served as postmaster at Perch River for 21 years, or from 1836 until his election as a member of the New York state assembly. He was nominated as candidate to congress upon the Abolition ticket and made his campaign with vigor, although knowing there was not a chance of being elected.

Naturally Mr. Smith’s sympathy was for the slave and it is generally thought that he was one who assisted in the work of the underground railway through the north and especially in the Perch River area. And now comes a rather vivid picture of this underground railway. There recently visited the Thousand Islands a negro who is a graduate of a well known university and who is now a teacher in a southern school. He came north to visit the section where his father and his mother were taken through via the underground railroad and sent in Canada. In Canada the people were kind to the family and the little boy, born after their coming to the new land of their freedom, was looked after and educated by a Canadian lady. This well educated negro said he wanted to express his thanks to the people in northern New York and to the people of Canada who made it possible for his father and mother to obtain a new start and for his own advancements.


Watertown and Clayton Men Injured in Accident on Highway in Carthage.
(Special To The Times)

Carthage, April 17. -- Joseph Martell, 332 Logan street, Watertown, and Clarence Francis of Clayton, highway patrolmen of the New York state department of public works, were admitted to the Community hospital about 11 this morning with extensive burns about their bodies received when an asphalt kettle tipped over and covered them with hot tar.

They were working on a project on West End avenue when they were burned.

Both Martell and Francis suffered second and third degree burns about the hands, arms, head, legs and neck. They were treated at the hospital by Dr. E. C. Soults.

George Wicks, foreman of the project, also received minor burns from the hot asphalt.

Martell and Francis were preparing to fill cracks and joints in the road with tar when the kettle tipped over.

The container is mounted on wheels and pulled by a truck. It holds about 150 gallons of tar and is heated by a blow torch arrangement. There was no immediate explanation of the cause of the accident. The patrol has been working in this vicinity for the past few days.

Mr. Martell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Morton J. Martell, has been recently discharged from the navy. He entered the service April 3, 1943, and went to the Pacific theater of war in November, 1943. He was given a commendation by the commanding officer of the aircraft carrier on which he was stationed for his action during the engagement in the Phillipines area. He participated in the support of landings on the Marshall Island, Truk, Palau, Hollandia, and the Philippines.

Mr. Francis is a veteran of both the first and second World war and received his honorable discharge from the navy last year.


Photo: Miss Doreen Strobert, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel S. Strobert, will enter the Crouse-Irving hospital school of nursing, Syracuse, on Sept. 4.


Item: Jeannette Lowe, town of Clayton, to John Pollic and Mary Pollic, town of Clayton, husband and wife, town of Clayton.


Photo: Dr. Alfred Goss
Death Follows an Extensive Illness
Suffers Heart Attack Prior to His Death--He Had Practiced
Medicine at Adams For 52 Years.
(Special to The Times.)
Adams, April 1. -- Dr. Alfred Goss, 77, one of the most prominent physicians of southern Jefferson county, having practiced his profession here for about 52 years, died suddenly at 7 this morning at his home in this village after a long illness. Death was caused by a heart ailment.

Because of poor health, Dr. Goss, who had been afflicted with a heart condition for a long time, had not been at his office for five weeks. However, he had not been confined to his bed. He suffered a heart attack this morning just before he died.

Dr. Goss was born at Crary’s Mills, St. Lawrence county, July 12, 1860, the son of Dr. Aaron G. and Mary A. Hoyt Goss. He received his early education in the public schools of St. Lawrence county and then for several years taught in the district schools.

Through the influence of General Merritt, he later received an appointment as employe in the custom house in New York city. While serving at the custom house, he decided to prepare for a medical career and he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York to study medicine.

Dr. Goss afterward transferred to the medical college of the University of Vermont, from which he graduated in June, 1883. After his graduation, he practiced for a time at Russell, St. Lawrence county. He then moved to Birmingham, Ala., where he continued his practice until he came to Adams.

At one time he practiced for a short period in Buffalo.

Dr. Goss, a surgeon as well as a general practitioner, was said to have performed the first operation for appendicitis in northern New York. The operation was performed many years ago at the home of the patient, who resided on Grange avenue in this village, there being no hospitals in this section at that time.

Later, Dr. Goss eliminated his practice of surgery and since then he has devoted his time to the general practice of medicine.

Dr. Goss’s practice extended over a wide area in this section, including the towns of Lorraine and Worth.

He joined the Jefferson County Medical society in 1893.

Dr. Goss for a long period took a prominent part in village affairs, having served as president of the village and having held other public offices.

During the World war period he was a member of the district draft board and also of the local draft board. Because his duties required him to travel to and from Syracuse, he resigned early in 1918, as a member of the district board.

Surviving him are a sister, Miss Amelia Goss, and cousins, including Helen Pierce of this village.

Dr. Goss was unmarried.

Dr. Goss’s father was a native of Chazy, Franklin county. His mother was a native of Parishville, St. Lawrence county.

Funeral services will be held at the home Monday at 1 p.m. Rev. C. C. Frost, pastor of the Presbyterian church of this village, and Rev. William E. Bishop, formerly of Adams, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Crary Mills cemetery.


DILLENBECK-WHITE - At Chaumont, April 14, 1938, by Rev. William H. Pullen, Chaumont, Methodist Episcopal minister, John Dillenbeck of Chaumont and Mrs. Hazel Beattie White, 324 South Hamilton street.

DANIELS - In this city, April 12, 1938, Eugene N. Daniels, 709 Mill street, aged 65 years. Funeral services, Thursday at 2 p.m. at the home of his son, Rayton A. Daniels, 130 Charles street, Rev. E. O. Spaven, pastor of the Bethany Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Burial at Lafargeville.

HOLLAND - In the Mercy hospital, Sept. 26, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. Robert Holland, 207 East Division street, a son.

(Special to The Times.)
Three Mile Bay, April 30. A large barn on the farm owned by Fred Hamilton on the Depot road a half mile from here was burned to the ground Friday evening about 8:45 when a fire of undetermined origin swept through the structure.

Damage was estimated at $2,000, entirely covered by insurance, $1,500 loss was on the barn and $500 on hay and a small amount of farm machinery housed in the barn. The hay was owned by Mr. Hamilton. Mr. Warner also owned a hay presser which was lost.

In poor health, Mr. Hamilton had not visited the barn in the past three days. At the present time, his farm is not being actively worked. Neighbors discovered the fire.

The Chaumont fire department responded but could do nothing to save the barn. They turned their attention to protecting the nearby house and other buildings.


Critical of P. W. A.
To The Times:
I want to join The Times’ Reader in complimenting the young man with a family who advertised recently for a job other than a P. W. A. job. It certainly seems good to think there is at least one ambitious young man who does not wish to join the ranks of the P. W. A. loafers.

All the P. W. A. was intended for was to use the people’s money to buy the votes of laborers to win a renomination for Franklin D. It worked mighty well, but it never will again.

The P. W. A. reminds me of the following story:

A farmer stepped into a feed store to buy a gallon of fly spray, asking the clerk how much it was per gallon.

Clerk: $1.25 per gal. and s guaranteed to kill flies instantly.

Farmer: Oh! that is too high, haven’t you any cheaper?

Clerk: Yes, we have some at $1 per gallon guaranteed to kill but not so quick.

Farmer: Oh! that is still too high a price, haven’t you any cheaper than that?

Clerk: Oh, yes! We have some made by the P. W. A. at 75 cents per gallon.

Farmer: Will that kill the flies?

Clerk: No, but it will make them so lazy they won’t bite.

A Reader.
Carthage, April 15, 1938.


KHAMMER-DODGE -- In this city, Sept. 3, 1946, to Fred A. Khammer, 156 East Main street, locomotive fireman, and Miss Dorothy A. Dodge, 616 Leray street, secretary.

HUNT-MARCHAND -- In this city, Sept. 4, 1946, to Francis G. Hunt, Adams Center, receiving clerk, and Miss Sally Harriet Marchand, 658 Davidson street, saleslady.

Item: Mr. and Mrs. Elmer H. Wright, 451 Flower avenue East, will leave Tuesday for Albany, where Mr. Wright will begin his studies at the Albany College of Pharmacy.

LANE-CHAMBERS - In this city, Sept. 5, 1946, to Charles W. Lane, 119 East Lynde street, a cutter, and Miss Esther M. Chambers, 717 State street.


13 Zero Days in City During Past Winter (1938)
Lowest Reading Was 18 Below March 4 -- Snowfall Totalled 97 Inches
While spring officially arrives during March, the month in northern New York is regarded as a typical winter month and this year was no exception as ten inches of snow were measured here and two days of zero or below were recorded, according to F. H. Jennings, the city’s official weather observer. The winter’s total snowfall was 97 inches and there were 13 zero or sub-zero days.

The month was variable as far as temperatures are concerned. The lowest temperature reading during the winter was recorded on March 4 when the mercury dipped to 13 degrees below the zero mark. Strangely enough one of the warmest March days in the past 43 years also was experienced during the past month. That was on March 22 when the mercury soared to 79 degrees, the official reading in the city.

The man temperature during March was 35.2 degrees. The total precipitation measured 3.71 inches of water. The greatest amount which fell in one day was .96 of an inch on March 2. The total snowfall was ten inches.

There were ten clear days and 16 cloudy while five were party cloudy. Two thunder storms occurred here on March 23.

The snow this winter exceeded that of last winter by ten inches. The total for the winter of 1936-37 was 87.5 inches. The number of zero or sub-zero days in the winter of 1936-37 was six, compared with 13 this winter.

The snow came this winter as follows: October, four inches; November, 17 inches; December, 24 inches; January, 35 inches; February, seven inches, and March, ten inches. This makes a total of 97 inches for the winter.


Miss Edith June McAvoy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James McAvoy, 211 East Moulton street, became the bride of Donald H. Burdick, son of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Burdick, son of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Burdick, 641 Cooper street, in a ceremony performed Thursday morning at 10:30 at the parsonage of the Methodist church at Brownville by Rev. Pascal DiFlorio, pastor.

Mr. and Mrs. Carl Comins, Evans Mills, brother-in-law and sister of the bride, were the only attendants. Following the wedding, a luncheon was served at the bride’s home.

The bride was attired in a fuchsia colored suit with white accessories and a corsage of red and white roses. Mrs. Comins wore a powder blue dress with white accessories and a corsage of pink roses.

Mrs. Burdick is employed as shipping clerk at the J. B. Wise company, Inc. Mr. Burdick works for Arthur Swan, also of Watertown. The couple will reside in this city.


Return to Washington. (‘46)
Brownville, Nov. 4. -- Mr. and Mrs. Francis Besha and daughter, Sandra, left Sunday for their home in Washington, D. C., after a two weeks’ visit with relatives here. They came to attend the wedding of Mr. Besha’s brother.


Former Teacher in Depauville Vicinity
Native of Depauville and Life-Long Resident of That
Village and Clayton Succumbs in Hospital After Year’s Illness.

Mrs. Bertha T. Gonseth, 51, wife of John G. Gonseth of 421 Riverside drive, Clayton, died at 9:10 Thursday evening in the House of the Good Samaritan, where she had been a patient since Sept. 28. She had been in failing health for the past year and had been confined to bed nearly nine months.

She was born in Depauville, Dec. 5, 1886, a daughter of Edgar and Eva Seber Nellis. She was educated in the schools at Depauville and the Clayton High school. Mrs. Gonseth also took a teacher’s training course at Clayton.

She taught in district schools in the vicinity of Depauville for eight years. She was married to Mr. Gonseth Sept. 15, 1912, in Syracuse by Rev. B. G. Blazell, former pastor of the Baptist church at Depauville.

She was a member of the Calument (sic) chapter, Order of Eastern Star and of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Surviving besides her husband are two daughters, Louise and Jane, and a son, Jack, all of Clayton.

Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 from the Methodist Episcopal church at Clayton. Rev. Royal B. Fishbeck, pastor of the church, will officiate. Burial will be made in Depauville cemetery.


Mr. and Mrs. Charles E. Flinn and daughter, Judith Ann, 1152 Harrison street, returned Saturday from a four-week motor trip through the South and Middle West. They spent ten days in Oklahoma City where they were guests of Mr. Flinn’s mother, Mrs. Mabel Flinn Strouchon, and his brother, James W. Flinn. They also spent several days in St. Louis where they visited relatives. They were accompanied to St. Louis by Mrs. Flinn’s sister, Miss Kern M. Clarke. Miss Clarke, a member of the faculty of South Junior High school, was met in St. Louis by three other Watertown teachers, Miss Marie Elitharp, Miss Marion Day and Mrs. Marguerite Hathway, and the party continued to Mexico for a brief sojourn.

Mr. and Mrs. Flinn reported unusually hot weather in the southwest during their stay. On one day during their stay in Oklahoma City the official temperature reached 107 degrees. Mr. Flinn said that the general price level seemed lower in the southwest and the food in particular was more plentiful.


Funeral From Home At 2 P. M. On Friday
Member of Depauville Masonic Lodge and Depauville
Grange Had Been Ill for Ten Days--Operated Large Farm
Until Retirement 20 Years Ago.

David H. Dorr, 82, retired farmer of Depauville, died at 6:05 Tuesday evening in the House of the Good Samaritan where he had been a patient for the past ten days. Death followed a stroke suffered a week ago.

He was born in Lafargeville, June 26, 1856, a son of John and Amelia Baldauff Dorr, natives of Germany. Mr. Dorr had spent all of his life in the town of Clayton with the exception of eleven years in the west.

On Dec. 30, 1880, he married Mary Wetterhahn in a ceremony performed in Depauville. She died on July 8, 1936. Until his retirement 20 years ago, Mr. Dorr operated a large farm on the Depauville-Lafargeville road.

He was a member of the Depauville lodge, No. 688, F. and A. M., and of the Depauville grange, No. 59.

Surviving are two sons, Alfred H. and Clarence L. Dorr, both of Lafargeville, and a daughter, Mrs. Florence M. Cummings of Clayton.

Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon at 2 from the home at Depauville. Rev. Albert Walker, pastor of the Depauville Methodist Episcopal church, will officiate. Burial will be made in the family plot at Depauville.


WARNER -- At Depauville, Aug. 31, 1938, Otto F. Warner, aged 87 years.

Miss Dorothy Pearl Thompson and Harold Warner, both of Three Mile Bay, were united in marriage at the close of the evening service at the Fundamental Gospel mission Sunday. Rev. Elbert H. Conrad, pastor of the mission, officiated at the ceremony, which was performed in the light from a large illuminated cross.

The couple was attended by Ross Howard Warner of Three Mil Bay and Miss Lucy Margaret Bates of Depauville. The bride selected for her wedding a blue ensemble.

The young people’s chorus rendered one selection, “Walking With Jesus,” by Lowden. The mission orchestra participated in the service, rending several selections.

At the close of the service and prior to the marriage ceremony, Miss Ruth Hendersonn (sic) of this city played, “I Love You Truly” as a violin solo and Mrs. E. H. Conrad sang “O Promise Me” by Reginald De Koven.

Mrs. H. W. Montonna (sic) of Three Mile Bay, daughter of Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Conrad, played the wedding march. Mr. Warner and his bride left after the ceremony on a wedding trip to Niagara Falls and upon their return will reside on the Phillips farm on the Chaumont-Three Mile Bay road which Mr. Warner has rented.

Mrs. Warner is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Thompson of Three Mile Bay and Mr. Warner is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Ross Warner of Three Mile Bay. Both are members of the Fundamental Gospel mission.

Rev. Mr. Conrad selected for his theme at the sermon at the evening service, “If.”

The young couple received many gifts from those in attendance at the evening service and the wedding ceremony.


Funeral From Home of Daughter Wednesday
Native of Depauville Was Member of Masonic
and Odd Fellows Lodges--He Had Been in
Failing Health For Two Years.
(Special to The Times.)

Depauville, Nov. 7. -- Merritt S. Walrath, 83, retired farmer, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Ernest Eckert, Sunday at about 3 p.m. after an illness of ten days. He had been in failing health for two years. Death was attributed to the infirmities of old age.

He was born Sept. 1, 1855, at Depauville, a son of Sylvester and Grace Sperry Walrath. He was one of seven children, all of whom are now dead. He was twice married. His first wife, Ina Bush Frame Walrath, died in 1880. They had no children. His second wife, Mary A. Wetterhahn, whom he married on March 15, 1883, died in Depauville on Nov. 16, 1931. They had one daughter, Lorinda, Mrs. Ernest Eckert.

Besides his daughter, he leaves three nieces and one nephew.

His entire life was spent in this vicinity where he was a farmer until he retired about 20 years ago. He was a member of F. and A. M. lodge, No. 688, and I. O. O. F., No. 848, Depauville. The lodge members will attend the funeral services.

Funeral services will be held at the home of Mrs. Eckert Wednesday at 2 p.m. Rev. Albert Walker, pastor of the Depauville Methodist church, will officiate. Interment will be in the family plot, Depauville cemetery.


Photo: Mr. and Mrs. John Schaefer (5-3-46)

Miss Eileen Brown of Glendale, Calif., and John Schaefer, son of Mrs. Cora Schaefer, 125 East Lynde street, were married in Glendale on March 15 at the Broadway Methodist church, according to an announcement made here today.

The bride was attired in a rose-colored crepe dress and wore a corsage of white orchids. Members of her family were present at the ceremony. After the wedding, the couple left on a trip to Lake Arrowhead, Calif. They are now residing at 131 South Jackson street, Glendale.

Mrs. Schaefer formerly lived in Kansas and attended Kansas State college.

Mr. Schaefer, a veteran of four years service in the air corps, was graduated from Watertown High school in 1936. Prior to entering service, he was employed at Sibley’s in Rochester. Mr. Schaefer will now attend the University of Southern California, majoring in mechanical engineering.


Man (?) After Short Illness
Native of Dexter and Resident of
Watertown a Year, Mrs. Fox Lived
at Depauville After Her Marriage in
1876 Until Her Husband’s Death in 1930.

Mrs. Alice M. Moyer Fox, 83, of 201 Sterling street, native of Dexter and former resident of Depauville, died of pneumonia at 9:40 this morning at the House of the Good Samaritan. She had been under treatment at the hospital since Monday.

Mrs. Fox, the widow of Charles A. Fox, a former storekeeper at Depauville, had lived in Watertown the past year.

Mrs. Fox was born at Dexter in April, 1865, daughter of Solomon and Jane Crawford Moyer. She lived at Dexter until her marriage in 1876 to Mr. Fox, whose home was at Depauville. Mrs. Fox lived there until her husband’s death in June, 1930.

For the next three years she lived with a daughter, Miss Elsie Fox, in Washington, D. C., and after her daughter’s death she returned to Dexter to live with a brother, Charles S. Moyer. Following his death in March, 1937, Mrs. Fox moved to Watertown, where she lived alone.

Mrs. Fox is survived by one son, Ross Fox, of Syracuse; one step-daughter, Mrs. Nellie A. Schryver of Syracuse; one sister, Mrs. Anna M. Fletcher, of Burbank, Cal.; one granddaughter, Mrs. Norine Jacobs, of Syracuse.

The body was removed this morning to the Johnson Funeral home in Dexter, and tomorrow noon will be taken to the home of Perl Johnson, Dexter, where friends may call Friday afternoon and evening.

The funeral will be held from the Johnson home at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, with Rev. Dr. Harry Westbrook Reed, pastor of All Souls Universalist church, officiating. Interment will be in the Depauville cemetery.


Photo: Miss Jacqueline M. Keenan
(Special to The Times.)

New York, April 24. -- Miss Jacquelin Marie Keenan, 22, formerly of Watertown, and now residing at 102 Greenwich avenue, New York, will become the bride of John Paul Adagio, 27, of 303 East 12th street, this city, according to a marriage license issued here at the Municipal building.

The bride-to-be was born in Watertown. She is the daughter of Charles Ambrose and Margaret Hood Keenan.

Mr. Adagio was born in New York. He is the son of William and Rose B. Adagio.

The couple did not state their wedding plans.

Miss Keenan attended the Watertown High school and during her senior year worked afternoons in the J. J. Newberry store and quite often appeared on local radio programs in the evening. While living in Watertown, Miss Keenan appeared in church, social and school entertainments. She was one time employed by the Columbia Broadcasting System in New York


Miss St. Germain 24 Years
Superintendent of Hospital
Miss Katherine B. St. Germain completed 24 years as superintendent of the Bide-a-Wee hospital on Bradley street, Wednesday. She came to the hospital on May 1, 1922, from the House of the Good Samaritan where she had served from 1914 to 1922 as assistant superintendent under Miss Mabel Hibbard. She succeeded Mrs. Margaret Poole as superintendent of Bide-a-Wee.

She is a graduate of the House of the Good Samaritan school of nursing and after her graduation was employed for a time at the hospital, later leaving to take a course at the Syracuse Memorial hospital. She later went to New York and studied maternity work at Sloane’s hospital. She also took a short observation course at the Mayo Brothers hospital in Rochester, Minn.


Item: Miss Karolyn Watson, a student nurse at Gallinger Municipal hospital, Washington, D. C., is visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George J. Watson, Felts Mills. She will return Wednesday to Washington.

Item: Frederick H. Frary, 112 East Hoard street, has returned from New York city where he spent four days attending the National Hotel exposition at the Grand Central Palace. (11-16-46)

CLEVELAND-CARROLL -- In this city, Nov. 2, 1946, in St. Patrick’s church rectory, Harold W. Cleveland, 164 Ward street, and Miss Mary Catherine Carroll, 167 Ten Eyck street.

Photo: CHURCH ORGANIST -- William Robert Huey, jr., 134 Park street, who was recently named minister of music of the First Presbyterian church here, will begin his duties at the church on Sunday. He will be organist and will also direct and train adult and young people’s choirs. (5-31-46)

Photo: CLAYTON GIRL BRIDE -- Mr. and Mrs. Lewis H. Ford are shown above following their marriage April 27 in the Clayton Episcopal church by the rector, Rev. William H. Cole. Mrs. Ford is the former Elaine Morse Peters, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hubert E. Morse, Clayton. The couple will reside in Syracuse where Mr. Ford will do graduate work at Syracuse university. (5-10-46)

Photo: Miss Muriel J. Reilly, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. Reilly, will begin her freshman year at the Rochester Institute of Technology Sept. 5. She will specialize in business administration. (8-17-46)

COOKE-MICHAELS - In this city May 16, 1946, to Kenneth G. Cooke, 624 Lansing street, student, and Miss Theresa Michaels, 567 West Mullin street, telephone operator.

Depauville, May 20. -- Mrs. Ernest Radley gave a dinner party Thursday for her mother, Mrs. George Wagner, who was 82 years old.

Those present were: Mrs. Elizabeth Dorr, 89; Mrs. Elizabeth Frye, 83; Mrs. Nettie Gillette, --?--, Mrs. Sadie Smith, 81, and Miss Olah Dwyer.

Typist’s Note: This concludes Depauville Scrapbook No. 1.

Return to Jefferson County Tidbits

Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page