Bits and bobs from hither and yon.

Return to Tidbits



Will End 37 Years in School
Work Next Fall--Rest of
Faculty Get Contracts--
He Reviews School's Advances


Clayton, March 26, 1936--John

Leslie Cummings, principal of Clayton High school for 26 years, recently ssent his resignation to the board of education. The resignation was accepted at the last meeting of the board and Mr. Cummings will complete 37 years of teaching when the resignation goes into effect a few months ater the opening of the coming fall term.

Mr. Cummings gave as the reason for his action that he is eligible for retirement, feels that he has taught long enough and deserving of a rest. He was urged to continue and has agreed that he will work for several months after the beginning of the fall term with whomever is appointed as his successor to familiarize the new man with details of the job.

Several applications have been received for the position and a special meeting of the board of education will be held Friday to interview applicants. The rest of the faculty will likely remain unchanged and contracts have been sent out as follows:

First grade, Miss Florence Payne; second grade, Miss Electa Brown; third grade, Miss Etta Garnsey; fourth grade, Miss Ethel Daniels; fifth grade, Miss Ruth Lowe; sixth grade, Miss Gertrude Fitzgerald; seventh grade, Miss Hulda Donohue; eighth grade, George Duquette; librarian, Miss Helen Kelly; music, Miss Lucille Leiterman; commercial, R.G.Becker; physical education, Frederick Burkhart; history, Harold Cater; French and Latin, Mrs. Alma Clark; domestic science, Miss Mildred Elliot; social services, Hazel Hyde; English, Miss Gwendolyn O'Leary; mathematics, Miss Ethelwyn Gray; first year English and first year science, Miss Helen Bennett.

Mr. Cummings is a graduate of Canton High School. He taught for two years in rural schools before entering St. Lawrence University from which he was graduated. He majored in Latin. He then accepted a position at Fort Covington High School where he remained for nine years. Thence he came to Clayton High School in 1907.

In 1919 he gave up his position because of poor health but he returned three years later and has been principal since that time but he retruned three years later and has been principal since that time. He has noted many changes since the time when he began his duties at Clayton. "That period," he says, "has been one of expansion and growth not alone in numbers but in educational opportunity and quality of service rendered by the school to the student and the community."

He recollects that the attendance register for the year 1907-1908 showed 65 students enrolled in the academic department {torn page} residents of the district {torn page} The present year's enrollment is 220 including 132 non resident students, {large blot} the study hall while exercising a general supervision over the room.

The curriculum for 1907-1908, and for several years following, according to Mr. Cummings, included only one course of study, the college preparatory course. All academic students were required to take Latin and French or German. There was no choice of courses of study as at present and little choice of subjects within the one course which was offered. In response to the growing demand for a broader curriculum, in 1917 courses in commercial subjects and in homemaking were added with the result that many more students were attracted to the school and a larger percentage of those entering high school remained to complete their course and graduate.

As required by state law, a physical training department was organized in 1916, but it did not at that time direct and supervise the athletics program as it does now.

A department for the professional training of teachers for service in the rural schools was a part of the school organization in 1907 and with the exception of the period during and immediately following the World War this was maintained until 1937 at which time the function of the teacher training classes of the state was taken over by the normal schools in specially organized departments.

During that time 196 students were graduated from that department with many of them, after the expiration of their training class certificates , further preparing themselves for the teaching service by attendance at normal schools or college.

"The school throughout those years," says Mr. Cummings, "has emphasized the value of scholarship as the chief agency in realizing the recognized objectives of education."




Son of Mrs. Clara Wetterhahn in House of the Good SamaritanWith Fractured Left Leg.

Clayton, Feb. 25, 1936.--Robert Wetterhahn, 20, son of Mrs Clara Wetterhahn of Depauville, suffered a fractured left leg when he was run over by a truck of the town of Clayton in front of the Sternberg garage on the Clayton-Watertown road in the village of Depauville Monday afternoon about 4.

Wetterhahn, an employe of the garage, was watching a group of boys snowballing when the town truck, driven by Levy Darou of Depauville returned to the village with a goup of W. P. A. workers. As he backed up the truck it struck Wetterhahn and knocked him down. A wheel of the machine ran over his left leg, breaking it between the knee and the ankle.

Accompanied by his mother and brother, William, young Wetterhahn was taken to the House of the Good Samaritan at Watertown where he was admitted at 6 p. m. and where Dr. Harlow G. Farmer attended him.

Edward Sternberg drove the youth to the hospital.


Death Sentence in Jefferson County

On four occasions, juries in Jefferson County have had the duty of condemning people to death. Accounts of the murders and subsequent trials are available elsewhere on the internet. In 1828, Henry Evans was tried and convicted of murder in the death of two men. The names of the jurors have not been identified by this author. In 1874, Hiram Smith was tried as an accomplice in the murder of Charles Wenham in the town of Champion. He was tried and sentenced to death and was hanged near the Jefferson County Jail on December 4, 1874.


Hiram Smith Jury

  1. John H. Overocker, Alexandria
  2. Henry A. Baldwin, Watertown
  3. Curtis Goulding, Watertown
  4. John O. Sterling, Watertown
  5. William P. Olmstead, Watertown
  6. Robert A. Mullin, Brownville
  7. James W. Penney, Adams
  8. Austin A. Prentice, Watertown
  9. Scott Blodgett, Lyme
  10. Harvey Hungerford, Henderson
  11. Miles Barrows, Hounsfield
  12. Henry L. Irvin, Henderson

In 1908, Mary and James Farmer of the town of Hounsfield were indicted for the murder of their landlady, Sarah Brennan. Tried separately, they were both convicted of the crime and juries pronounced the death sentence upon both. On the night before her execution in the electric chair at Auburn Prison, Mary Farmer confessed that she alone had killed Sarah Brennan. An appeal was mounted for James Farmer whose execution had been scheduled to follow Mary's. He was acquitted upon appeal and released.


Mary Farmer Jury:

  1. Handley S. Ellis,  farmer, LaFargeville
  2. George F. Baltz, retired farmer, LaFargeville
  3. Fred E McWayne, farmer, Cape Vincent
  4. J. Sterling Sill, bookkeeper, John Weeks & Son, Watertown
  5. Ray Stoddard, flour & feed merchant, Carthage
  6. Fred Porter, lumber dealer, Secretary of Sloat & Greenleaf, Watertown
  7. note  Sylvester Kellogg, farmer, Adams was listed as the sixth juror on early statewide dispatches, this is apparently erroneous.
  8. Warren Walsworth, farmer, Adams
  9. Frank E. Ives, farmer, Watertown
  10. Fred E Bennett, farmer, Champion
  11. Lalor Sarvey, flour & feed dealer, Carthage (business partner of Ray Stoddard, above)
  12. J. M. Patterson,  shoe dealer, Watertown
  13. Edward J. Taylor, farmer, Pillar Point

James Farmer jury:

  1. John S. Roberts, Watertown
  2. Erwin Sanford, farmer, Ellisburg
  3. A. Porter Sigourney, farmer, Hounsfield
  4. Jasper C. Phillips, farmer, Clayton
  5. William E. Paul, farmer, LeRay
  6. James Smith, farmer, Adams
  7. Erwin S. Plank, farmer, Rodman
  8. Fred E. Vincent, farmer, Lyme
  9. John S. Poole, carriage maker, Watertown
  10. Hugh Roberts, retired farmer, Watertown
  11. Alton M. Sanford, contractor and miller, Adams Center
  12. Peter M. Beenfield, farmer, Antwerp


Watertown Daily Times, Watertown, NY, Thursday, August 3, 1916

Greaves Family Reunion is Held

Many children gather at family home.

S.D. Greaves, 93 Years Old

Thirty-Three of the 45 Descendants of Mr. Graves are Present -

Mr Greaves came to Watertown in 1842

The family of Samuel D. Greaves, aged 93 years, is holding its annual reunion today at the home of Mrs. George W. Ford, 522 Cross street. Thirty-three of the 45 son, daughters, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Mr. Greaves are in attendance at the reunion. Mr. Greaves was born in Nottinghamshire, England Feb. 1 1823. He came to this country with an uncle and aunt to the home of his uncle, Samuel D. Greaves of Champion, on May 27, 1842. He lived with his uncle in Champion for but a few weeks after which he came to this city.

Watertown was then but a little village of 5,000 inhabitants, according to the recollections of Mr. Greaves. On his arrival in this city, he began his apprenticeship as a printer for the office of the Jeffersonian. On May 13, 1845, he married Miss Margaret Elder, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Elder of this city. Robert Elder built the first house in High street, near Factory street when the latter thoroughfare was the main street of the city. On what is now Factory Square, Mr. Greaves recollects that there was a fountain, which all the village inhabitants visited to get water. Some time later, Knowlton Bros., in securing a water supply for their mill, tapped into the vein of the spring and the flow of the water in the Factory Square fountain was stopped.

Mr. and Mrs Greaves were the parents of seven children, three of whom died. William A. Greaves, the eldest child, died a number o years ago at the age of 52. He was a celebrated artist and a number of his paintings hang in the capitol building in Washington. He was stricken with paralysis on the way to Kansas City to complete a commission there. He died a few days later in a hospital in Kansas City.

Edwin E. Greaves was the second child. He is 67 years of age and resides in Syracuse where he is the superintendant of the Crouse-Hinds Electrical Works. Mr. Greaves is in the city to attend the reunion. S. Dewitt Greaves, jr. is 64 years of age and resides in Rochester, where he is employed by the Eastman Kodak Co. Mary, the fourth child to be born to Mr. and Mrs. Greaves, died at the age of 16. The fifth child was Annie Greaves, now Mrs. George W. Ford, of 522 Cross street, at whose home the reunion of the Greaves family is taking place today.

Jenny, the sixth child, is now Mrs. H.F. Dewey of Schenectady. Her husband is the assistant treasurer of Union college. James, the last of the Greaves children, died at the age of two. Mrs. Greaves died about ten years ago after celebrating her golden and 60th wedding anniversaries.

Mr. Greaves has resided in this city for 74 years. He worked in the office of the Jeffersonian, which is now the Reunion, for a period of 15 years and finished his apprenticeship there. Later he accepted a position in the printing office of A.H. Hall, where he had charge of the job department for over 27 years. The Hall printing establishment was located on the third floor of the American Arcade building. Later he worked in the office of the Times and assisted in printing the first city charter. He has been employed in all of the older printing offices of the city, including the Hungerford-Holbrook Co. where he worked for several years. Mr. Greaves has 15 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren, who rang in age from six months to 28 years. A dinner will be served at the home of Mrs. Ford this evening at ?.

The members of the family who are present at the reunion today are as follows: Mr. and Mrs. A.C. Jacobs of New Alexandria, Pa. Mrs. William A. Greaves of New Alexandria, Pa.;, Miss Florence Hadfield of Philadelphia, Pa.; Mr. and Mrs. Simeon D. Greaves and daughter, Gertrude, of Rochester; Mr. and Mrs. Edwin F. Greaves of Syracuse; Mr. and Mrs. E.A. White and children, Edgar and Margaret, Syracuse; Mr. and Mrs. H.F. Dewey and children, Ellen, Doris and Leland, of Schenectady; Mrs. Florence Greaves Pates of Syracuse; Mr. and Mrs. Wilton Murphy and children, Carl and Ralph, of this city; Mrs. Frances Waugh and Miss Bertha Elder of Fulton; Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Baker and children, Dewitt and Frederick, of Rochester; Mr. and Mrs. George W. Ford, Mrs. Paul ??? and son, Paul Edwin, of this city.


Watertown Daily Times, Watertown, NY, Sunday, September 3, 1893

Brain and Brawn

Glen park was the chief scene of the Labor day festivities yesterday. The street car company collected over 13,000 fares and handled the crowd without an accident an with very little delay. Carry-alls also ran to and from the park. The day's amusements started off with a game of base-ball between two picked nines of union men, resulting in a score of 16 to 12. The game was interesting throughout. The sports began shortly after 2 P.M. and continued for six hours. The general committee in charge of the day's amusements consisted of Bert Gleason, Martin Dugan, Charles Cripp, John Burns, Matthew Mannigan, Alfred McCutchin, Charles Scofield, Michael Brennan, H. H. Tout, Lewis Mackley and J. Von Buettner. It was largely due to their efforts that the events passed off so successfully. In the evening, the crowds at the park amused themselves dancing and promenading about the grounds. Fully 3,000 people were on the grounds at 9:30, and long before midnight they had been all safely transferred to their homes.

The Labor day sports took place on the ball ground at the east end of Glen park and were witnessed by fully 2,000 people, while as many more amused themselves about the park, dancing, riding on the merry-go-round, drinking soda, eating peanuts or hearing the phonograph talk, sing and play music. The natural grand stand formed by the bluff at the south end of the ball ground was a sea of faces, and it was noticeable that there were more ladies than men. About 1,000 men and boys managed to work their way inside the ball ground and they were shoved about by the policemen and several committeemen in the vain endeavor to keep them back so as not to interfere with the contestants in the different events. In several instances the runners were obliged to push their way through a crowd of people in order to reach the goal. Finally the manager decided that they would not continue the sports until the spectators left the field, and when it was cleared the sports moved along more rapidly and gave better satisfaction. The games were exceedingly interesting and exciting and many of them were mirth-provoking. The first event on the program was the tug-of-war contest, which was abandoned.

The starters in the 50-yard dash were F.M. Green, Frank Laplante, Tony Reome, George Rogers, Lewis Whearty, Edward Crawe, William Whitford, J.H. Bocker, C. B. Wood, D. Ballie, Geo. Wilder, Geo. Hardin, Thomas Brown, and M. Lee. The first prize, a pair of shoes, was won by George Rogers; 2nd, prize 5 pounds of tea, by C.H. Wood; 3d prize a walking cane by William Whitford. Christopher Steiner, Edward Crawe, C.B.Wood, William Whitford and Frank Laplante contested for the prizes offered for the best running high jump. C.B. Wood, of Dexter jumped 4 feet and 10 inches and captured 1st prize, a silk umbrella; Edward Crawe, 4 feet, 8 inches, 2nd prize, 1 dozen linen collars; C. Steiner, 4 feet, 5 inches, 3d prize, 2 lbs. of tea.

There were 14 contestants throwing the hammer, as follows: Christopher Stevener, Geo. Rogers, S. Loft, Robt. Storms, Thomas Cleary, Geo. Hafferty, C.B. Wood, Martin McGowan, A. Reilly, Geo. Hardy, Patrick Redmond, D. Coleman, H.C. Snyder, and John Coleman. H.C. Snyder won 1st prize, a revolver; C.B.Wood, 2nd prize, a box of cigars; Thomas Cleary, 3d prize, a briar pipe. In the 100-yard race the starters were M. Lee, F.M. Green, Daniel Ryan, John Blackman, Tony Reome, Geo. Rogers, C. Steiner, F. Laplant, L. Whearty, W. Johnson, E. Crawe, C. Williams, W. Whitford, Thomas Sunman, C.B. Wood and Thomas Brown. The 1st prize, a sweater, was captured by C.H. Wood; 2nd prize, a package of Old Taylor, by Geo. Rogers; 3d prize, a box of cigars, by Thomas Brown. In the wheelbarrow race, there were only four starters. Geo. Rogers took 1st prize, a half-barrel of ale; John Blackman, 2nd prize, a clock; Daniel Ryan 3d prize, 5 loaves of bread.

The potato race came next and there were 12 contestants, who all stood on a line and in front of each of them were rows of potatoes which they had to pick up one at a time and place in a hat. The contestants were F.M. Green, Daniel Ryan, Wm. Blackman, Tony Reome, Geo. Rogers, Frank Laplante, L. Whearty, M.B. Montrois, Robert Storms, Thomas Sunman, Geo. Hardy and Wm. Whitford. Montrois gathered up all his potatoes first and carried off first prize, a smoking set; Geo. Rogers got 2nd prize, a pair of shoes, and Robert Storms took away a pair of cuff buttons as the 3d prize.

Peter Neelin, Frank Laplante, Geo. Haffety, William Whitford, P.F.LeMay, C.B. Wood, John Fields, J.L. Crawford, J. Cummings, Thomas Stevens, M. Lee, Thomas Brown, Edward Crawe, Chas. Towsley and William Magovny made the hop, skip and jump. Each contestant was allowed two jumps. William Magoveny made the best jump, the distance being 42 feet and 6 inches. The world's record is only 46 feet. Magoveny received a silver headed cane as first prize; C.B. Wood took a box of cigars as 2nd prize, and William Whitford walked away with the 3d prize, a hose bib.

The starters in the one-mile running race were F.M.Green, Frank Laplante, N.B. Montrois, Wm. Johnson, Thomas Sunman, T.H. Bocker, William Whitford, Chas. Weisse, C. Williams, D. Devine, M.Phillips, Geo. Hardy, C. Townsend, P. Hardy, F. Reome, and L. Whearty. The colored man Whitford won 1st prize, a $3 derby hat; P. Hardy 2nd prize, an outing shirt; F. Reome, 3d prize, a rug. The 50-yard race running backwards was won by L. Whearty, who received a meerschaum pipe as 1st prize. Tony Reome took 2nd prize, a box of cigars, and Wm. Whitford won an oil stove as the 3d-prize. The other contestants were Geo. Rogers, C. Steiner, Frank Laplante, Robt. Storms, Patrick Redmond, D. Coleman, J. Belcher, C. Townsend and Geo. Hardy.

In the three-legged race the inside legs of the men were tied together and the teams were: Ryan and Blackman, Laplante and O'Connor, Rogers and Stevener, Montrois and Storms, Redmond and Coleman, Neelan and Wood, Geo. Hardy and Peter Hardy, Lee and Brown, Belcher and Townsend. The 1st prize, two dozen bottles of ale won by Laplante and O'Connor, 2nd prize, a box of cigars by Montrois and Storms, 3d prize, 10 lbs of sugar, by Lee and Brown.

William Magoveny threw the baseball the longest distance and received the 1st prize, a club bag. There was some mistake in keeping the record of the other throws and so the 2nd and 3d prizes have not yet been awarded. The contestants were C. Stevener, B. Montrois, J. Sheridan, Geo. Hafferty, C.B. Wood, Geo. Baker, J. Campbell, Frank Laplante, J. Hamilton, J. Robinson, Geo. Walker, J. Coleman, J. O'Neill, M. Lee, C. Griffith, L. Whearty and W. Magoveny. The sack race was won by John Blackman, who received a pair of rubber boots. W. Whitford took second prize, a pair of trousers, and Geo. Rogers got a coffee pot for taking third prize. The pitching of the quoits and the hurdle and egg and spoon races were thrown out.

The 17th event on the program was the fat man's race and the heavy weights who contested for the prize were J.A. McIntosh, Wm. Lafave, S. Loft, Wm. Daily, Patrick Duran, Mr. Foley and J. Von Buettner. Daily took 1st prize, statue of liberty, McIntosh 2nd prize, a box of cigars, Loft 3d prize, a pocket Bible. Geo. Rogers, Frank Stubbins, Geo. Hafferty, Ed. Crawe, Patrick Redmond, W. Whitford, A. Reilly and W. Magoveny made standing jumps. Magoveny won 1st prize, a 10 lb. roast, W. Whitford 2nd prize, a can of coffee, Geo. Rogers 3d prize, box of plasters.

It was 8 o'clock when these sports were finished and a half hour later a boy named Thomas succeeded in reaching the top of the greasy pole and obtaining the $5 bill which had been placed there. After the thirteenth sport on the program had been finished, Bert Gleason announced that the games would be postponed until after Mr. James A. Wood of Binghamton had delivered his speech. It was then 5 o'clock and a concourse of over 3,000 people crowded through a small entrance in the switch-back railroad and went into the park proper, where the speaking was heard from the bandstand. George Wallace, on behalf of the labor organization expressed thanks to the people in a few well-chosen words, and said that he hoped they would excuse them for any mistakes that may have occurred. Then he introduced Mr. Wood, who was greeted with cheers. Mr. Wood is a resident of Binghamton and a member of the cigarmakers's union. This was Mr. Woods's second public appearance in Watertown. He is eloquent and a very forcible speaker. His remarks were attentively listened to and enthusiastically applauded.


Bits of Genealogy and History on Mr. and Mrs. Henry Haas and Family

Typed Copy of an Undated Letter Written by (Mrs. B. T.) Addie R. Dodge
to Mr. G. H. Wetterhahn, LaFargeville, Jefferson County, New York

Submitted by Hollis Door

Page One. Dear Cousin, I hasten to comply with your request with pleasure. Grandfather and grandmother (Mr. and Mrs. Henry Haas) came to America in 1831. Came because it meant to them opportunity or so they thought. Henry Haas was educated to teach but since there was no opening for him in his chosen work he left the Old Country. His father was not a teacher, hence no chance for succession. However, about two years later the old schoolmaster died without a son to succeed him. It was said if Henry had still been in Habitzheim the position would have been his. He was in ill health—they never regretted coming to America. Grandmother (Mrs. Henry Haas) so often spoke of the beauty of her old home country. Tree lined roads and good roads, etc. Probably noted the contrast to paved road but I never heard any complaints. When Grandfather left home to attend school he, with the aid of the schoolmaster, built a piano which he took with him. When he came to America he brought it with him. Where the keys are white on an ordinary piano, those were black and vice versa. He traded it for a bookcase when he bought his new piano (before my time). I never saw the saw the old piano but know where it was when I left Jefferson County sixteen years ago. Had grandmother known that seventeen years later her parents would come here the parting would not have been so heartbreaking. It was like severing ties at the grave. Also later came three brothers, Henry, Fredrick, and John and Johanette (Mrs. Rapp) a sister. Mrs. Rapp’s descendants are in Minneapolis, St Paul, at least Minnesota. I could not find out where.

Page Two. G. Ward Haas Philadelphia, PA, 17 East Clapier St. Germantown. Perhaps something from his diary would interest you. I am sure Ward will be glad to cooperate. This man has grandfather’s (Henry Haas) dairy written on the voyage of sixty-three days across the Atlantic in a sailing vessel. Ward promised me a copy if he can get it translated. He is the lad who spent four years in the Belgian Congo building a copper smelter. In Watertown on Franklin Street live Carl W. Haas, Augasta Haas and Elizabeth has, brother and sisters. Their mother was Elizabeth Wetterhahn, daughter of our Great Uncle Fredrick Wetterhahn. He was the last one to come to America so it was he who brought an oil painting of a man in uniform. That may be he of the military engineer reputation. For dates Great Uncle John is buried in the LaFargeville (Jefferson County) cemetery, whether not he has a tombstone I would not know. Henry Haas and Regina Wetterhahn Haas are buried in the old Lutheran Cemetery near here the old Lutheran and Methodist churches stood. Henry Haas was instrumental in building the Lutheran church. He secured an organ for the church. Some were not so enthusiastic to have an organ (somewhat worldly). Perhaps expensive also.

Page Three. As you will gather, perhaps, I am not very methodical. Then too I neglected my opportunities. I heard stories over and over but finally “they went in one ear and out the other.” And I have clippings aplenty. While I have scrapbooks I haven’t the clippings arranged so that I can find what I want when I want it. A few years ago Jacob Wetterhahn’s descendants (Gustave’s brother) had a picnic. Someone present read a paper. That lady spoke of the Black Death in Germany. She said there were but two names left—families in Habitzheim—Wetterhahn and Hund. Many a time grandmother spoke of that. Have a clipping somewhere about the Black Death but do not know when it all happened. Probably before the date 1623 in the church. I know that there was a brother of grandmothers (William) who did not come over. How come that Uncle Fredrick brought the picture spoken of above? Hadn’t thought of that. Josephine Wetterhahn I had never heard of. But as I said before I do not remember all I hear. Perhaps she was William’s daughter.

Page Four. You are correct, my father was Peter Haas, named for grandfathers only brother. Peter Haas preceded Henry Haas to America. When Henry Haas came he brought the parents with him. They lie in the German cemetery as do my father’s first wife, also Henry Haas Jr.’s first wife and many others of the family. Grandmother was ninety-eight when she passed away and I lived with her thirty-one years. I should know something about her. Will say that if you have any questions I will do my utmost to answer them. But as I mentioned before I cannot promise much. Grandmother was a remarkable woman, who had a good mind to the very last day. It is strange that grandfather had not even a family record in a Bible. The best record was kept by Uncle William Haas, whose daughter (Mrs. Charles Kissell) lives in Chaumont and no doubt has the family Bible. Henry Haas spent his time in later years reading, writing and for pastime playing the piano. Have one clipping dated 20 February 1873 concerning an “Aurora Borealis” seen near Depauville, Jefferson County, New York on 8 August 1872. Accompanying the above very interesting description was a diagram illustrating one of the scenes so well depicted by our correspondent, but we have no means at hand to transfer it by engraving to our columns.

Page Five. Have the original manuscripts and diagrams. Also a manuscript and clipping relating the capture of a singing mouse. The end is “This is the first and only singing mouse that ever came under my notice. If any student and lover of nature and his works who had any experience in this subject should read this article and feel disposed to kindly furnish me with particulars that will be thankfully received and acknowledged. Henry Haas, Depauville, Jefferson County, New York, December 1873 written for the Times and Reformer (Watertown Papers). This happened in the log house “under the bluff.” The mouse has existed long before history was written. So much for clippings. Grandfather taught piano lessons and made weather observations which were reported to Washington. He seems to have been highly respected and demanded upon as an adviser to his friends in regard to business transactions. I do not know whether or not my grandparents were the second German family to settle in Orleans Township. They came in 1831 as did the Dorr family. Their seems to have been for all (perhaps “all” is an exaggeration) newcomers from Germany to Jefferson County. Their stays varied according to their good fortune in finding a place for themselves. They were always welcome. One such instance always interested me greatly; the young baron.

Page Six. fell in love with his gardener’s daughter. They came to America. They stayed at the Haas house seven weeks. In my day the most beautiful woman I ever saw came back to give thanks. Grandmother and Mr. Gustave Wetterhahn were first cousins just as you said. They were also firm friends. It certainly is wonderfully interesting that your son and his great grandson are friends. Instead of family drifting apart it seems to be drawing together. There is a tie and your work will help strengthen it. Their fathers were brothers.

Gustave Sr.Henry Sr.
Gustave Jr.Henry Jr.
NorrisGeorge H. Sr.
Gustave 3rdG. Henry Jr.

It certainly was a great privilege to know all the wonderful men and women who came to visit grandmother; generations of them. I can still see our grandfather and my grandmother sitting side by side visiting. Their conversation was worthwhile and interesting. They resembled each other. I know I have furnished you very little if anything for your project. The profit seems all to be mine. It has been a pleasure to receive your letter and know that what you are doing to preserve the family history. Perhaps a question might suggest something to me. At any

Page Seven. rate do not hesitate to ask. I have the “Times” and will watch for Mr. Cook’s articles. I did not have the paper when other ones were published. What a wonderful time Ada Rebscher must have had abroad. I met her once. I had no idea grandmother had so many brothers and sisters. Were all these names—the church? They were partial to Fredrick and John. That last name “Johannes” must have been “John” who came to America. John was the youngest brother she always said. One of his daughters, Eustina, is living in Alexandria Bay and another, Elizabeth, in Watertown. Neither one is married. You are to be congratulated that your son is making so much progress in school, St. Lawrence University, Canton or is it Clarkson Technical in Potsdam? I have more leisure than I have ever had before and I mean to make a systematic search for my clippings and have a systematic arrangement of same. Moving to California in a way I did is not easy on collections of any kind. Did Ada Rebscher see and enter the house in Habitzheim where the Wetterhahn family lived and does any member of the family occupy it? Henry Buchner? You may be sure I am keeping

Page Eight. your letter. Sincerely yours, (Mrs. B. T.) Addie R. Dodge P. S. Grandfather and grandmother docked in Baltimore first, of that I am sure, but how they arrived in Jefferson County is somewhat hazy, that is the route which they took. They must have come to New York but whether overland or by water I cannot recall at all. Up the Hudson, on the Erie Canal to Oswego, cross Lake Ontario on the first steamer which traveled the lake to French Creek (Clayton). Some of that should be verified—perhaps. How stupid of me not to know. Great Uncle John was a saddler by trade; lived in LaFargeville and Watertown. While Anna Beckwith is “setting up” other people to write to me she might write herself.


Source: Northern New York Journal, December 29, 1852, page 3:

from the New York Tribune

The population of the United States has increased 337 percent during the last 50 years. In that period the population of France has increased by almost 30 percent. The population of the United States is now increasing at the rate of about three percent per annum, while that of all Europe is increasing at about the rate of one percent per annum.

Immigration has not swelled our population to any such extent as has generally been supposed. The census returns indicate that, of our 24,000,000 people, only two million and a quarter, or less than ten percent were born in Europe—or, in round numbers, one million in Ireland, half a million in Germany, a quarter of a million in England, one hundred thousand in Scotland and Wales, half as many in France, one hundred and fifty thousand in Canada, and one hundred thousand in all other countries. ***

Of paupers the census reports only 134,972 as having received public charity during the year preceding June, 1850, and only 50,353 as actually receiving a subsistence from the public on the first of June, in that year. Of these, nearly three-fourths (36,916) were natives. The aggregate cost of supporting paupers during the year aforesaid was reported as only $2,954,806, whereof New York paid $817,336 ad Massachusetts $392,765. ***

Of spiritous and malt liquors, the annual product reaches the enormous aggregate of eighty-six millions of gallons (six gallons for each person old enough to drink or to know better)—our imports and exports just about balancing each other. This is a great country! The hop culture, mainly confined to this state (New York) is extending.


Northern NY Jounral, Watertown, NY, Tuesday, May 24, 1864, p. 1:


(At Henderson, NY)
Heretofore, we have neglected to mention the death of JOHN PETTENGILL, one of the oldest men that ever lived or died in this county. His death occurred in the town of Henderson, April 28th, 1864, at age 99 years and 8 months. Methuselah, of all men the most venerable for his great age, tied up by the thread of social converse, the remote ages of Adam and Noah. So, John Pettengill was honored with a private interview with Washington, the father of his country, and lived to behold the remarkable age of Abraham Lincoln of our later civilization.

Mr. Pettengill was a Revolutionary soldier, and was in New Jersey in 1778, when the French fleet entered the Delaware. He was at Yorktown the next day after the surrender of Cornwallis, the crown act of Washington in the great drama of our National Independence. He was one of the 12 Revolutionary patriots to whom Congress gave an additional bounty of one hundred dollars.

He had resided in the town of Henderson since its first settlement; his wife who survives him is 85 years old; and is the sister of Samuel and Daniel Fox of Adams.

Just before the death of our lamented patriot father, he appeared fully conscious that his end was approaching. His son left the bed side at 12 on the night of the 22d; in the morning he was lying in the same position, but his spirit had winged its departure to fairer field than ours. Thus another and almost the last of our Revolutionary fathers has gone. They spirit shall rest in peace, while conscious that they example will not be unheeded by thy grateful sons who now uphold the honor of the old flag in the battlefield.


Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page