Jefferson County Errata: 1852

Return to Tidbits

The New York Reformer, Jan. 1, 1852, p. 2:

MORTALITY—We are pained to learn of the decease of MRS. SARAH E. CLARK, wife of S. CLARK, Esq.; she died on Monday last, of paralysis from debility. She was the second wife of Mr. Clark, and age 40 years and 6 months. Esteemed in life, her loss will be severely felt by a wide circle of friends and especially by an affectionate husband and a large family of dependent children.

Northern NY Journal, Jan. 14, 1852, p. 3:

DESTRUCTIVE FIRE AT THERESA—GRIST MILL & FURNACE BURNT, Theresa, Jan. 12: We had one of the most destructive fires on Sunday, that this village ever experienced. The large Furnace and Machine Shop, together with the Grist Mill, owned by GEO. WILSON, located at the lower bridge, caught fire soon after 10 o'clock a.m., and were burned to the ground. Other buildings in the vicinity were in imminent danger, but owing to the unceasing labor of the citizens, who were attending church at the time of the alarm, these buildings were saved from the devouring element. The Machine Shop was a large new building, occupied by several mechanics, whose loss was severe. Many of the machines, lathes and tools were thrown out into the mill yard, but the fire eventually swept over the yard, causing their entire destruction. Efforts were made to save the Grist Mill, but the supply of water was inadequate having no engine to throw with. The large shop owned by P. H. RHYTHER, situated but a few feet from the mill, and connected with it by a gangway, was saved through the well directed efforts of the citizens. The fire originated from a stove in the upper story of the machine shop. The loss falls hard on several mechanics, who in losing their machinery and tools suffered severely, besides being thrown out of employment.

GEORGE WILSON lost on Mill, $1,500 Ins. 1,500
WILSON & COMSTOCK lost 3,000 , Ins. 1,000
T. & A. BROOKS 1,500, Ins. 500
GEORGE MARBLE 600, no ins.
BALLARD & RUNDALL 500, no ins.

Same issue, page 4:

FOR SALE—The valuable property, known as Norton's Island, immediately adjoining the village of Watertown, with water power, buildings, dams &c. This island is too well known in this vicinity to require further description. Also about thirty acres of land in the village of Watertown, all within three-quarters of a mile from the centre of business, and highly eligible for building lots. For particulars, inquire of E. Q. SEWELL, Watertown.

New York Reformer, Jan. 15, 1852, p. 3:

C.P. WESTCOTT would call the attention of the public to his superior facilities for producing daguerreotype likenesses of every desirable size and tone. The Reception Room, Ladies' dressing-room, Chemical Room and Operating Room, are all separate, and furnished in the most elegant style.

New York Reformer, Jan. 22, 1852, p. 3:

HORACE W. WOODRUFF, Esq., of this village has secured a patent right on his newly invented car wheel. This wheel is so constructed that it combines the principle of the “spoke wheel” and the full rimmed wheel, presenting at once, the strongest possible structure with the least possible weight.

Same page, same issue:

DIED at the residence of WINES H. SKEELS, Esq., in Watertown, on the 14th inst., CAPT. TILLY RICHARDSON age 93 years. Capt. Richardson was born in Sterling, Mass. In the year 1759, where he lived till he was 16 years of age. About that time, the difficulties between the American Colonies and the Mother Country, which led to the Revolutionary war, broke out; and, although but a stripling, he sided warmly with the Patriots in resisting the despotic aggressions of the British Government...Capt. R. was at the siege of Dorchester Heights in 1776, when Washington executed a plan for driving the British from Boston. They built fortifications on the Heights, which commanded the city and harbor, the citizens digging up their orchards to build the fort, and filled barrels with sand to roll down upon their foes, in case they attempted to drive them from their fortifications, which, however, they did not attempt...he arrived in time (Saratoga) to witness the surrender of Burgoyne to Gen. Gates, when 5,791 men laid down their arms on October 17, 1777. Capt. R. was at the siege of Newport in 1778..and volunteered to capture a small herd of horses that were feeding within forty rods of the enemies fort. He and Joseph Sly were discovered and fired upon by the enemy but Richardson placed himself between the horses and the cannon of the enemy, and succeeded in driving the horses to the American camp...After the war he returned to his home in Sterling. He was married in Lancaster in 1781, and moved to New Hampshire, where he lived eight years, thence moved to Herkimer County, NY where he lived nine years; and from thence to Watertown in 1802, and settled on the farm on which he lived to the day of his death, leaving 110? descendants, children, grandchildren and great grandchildren to mourn his loss...Capt. R. was a kind husband and an affectionate father and a good neighbor... Note: this is an extremely long article and descendants would find it of interest.

Northern NY Journal, Feb. 11, 1852, p. 3:

SOLOMON BAUM has been appointed Postmaster at Pamelia Four Corners, in place of C. G. HARGER. MARCUS RICE has also been appointed Postmaster at Appling. They are both good and reliable Whigs.

Same page:

JENNY LIND MARRIED—The marriage of the Swedish Nightingale has finally taken place. She was married in Boston, at the residence of Mr. S. G. Ward, on the 5th inst., to Otto Goldschmidt, of Hamburgh. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Charles Mason, assisted by Rev. Dr. Wainwright, of New York. (She was 31 and he was 24 years of age.)

New York Reformer, Feb. 12, 1852, p. 1:

There are many persons now living in this county, particularly in the town of Rutland and Watertown, whose former acquaintance with the family of the late Dr. ISAIAH MASSEY, would lead them not only to notice the death of MRS. B. F. MASSEY, as announced in our columns last week, but also to learn some of the details of their history, which has been so replete with incident of tragic and stirring interest. We therefore shall offer no apology for making public some of the facts as derived from members of the family.

It was in the summer of 1819, that the family removed from Rutland village to Edwardsville, Illinois. They were accompanied by the families of JUDGE COFFEEN, MERRICK BROWN and a Mr. BAKER. It was a sickly season and the fever of that country swept off a large number before they had been there a year. Among the number were “Dr. Massey and his youngest son, Judge Coffeen, wife and one son, and Mrs. Brown who was the daughter of Coffeen.” Most of the survivors returned to this county, and all of the Doctor's family, excepting his oldest son, Woodbury. He remained there to look after the interest of the family, and became possessed of a large property, and married to Miss MARIAH COONSE (the person whose death we noticed, last week), with whom he lived a number of years. Three of the children, viz: B. FRANKLIN, HENRY L. and LOUISA, finally went back to the Western country and joined Woodbury at Dubuque, where he had entered with spirit into the lead business of that new mineral region.

He had one claim of more promise than ordinary, which was disputed, and obstinately contested by a couple of desperadoes by the name of Smith, father and son. The Courts had however, decided the claim in his favor, and the Sheriff was ordered to put him in legal possession. The Smiths determined not to yield to any law but that of force, and with loaded rifles, planted themselves upon the disputed territory, and threatened instant death to Woodbury if he put his foot upon the claim. The threat was executed to the letter, both Smiths firing at the same instant, and Woodbury fell dead in the act of stepping over the line.

The Smiths were apprehended and examined, but let loose again to contest their rights by brute force and to peril the lives of all who had natural sympathies for their murdered victim. A war of extermination was henceforth proclaimed against the Massey family. Franklin, being the oldest survivor, was supposed to be most in danger, and for the purpose of avoiding collision with the Smiths, he was persuaded to absent himself for the time being, on business to St. Louis. They imputed his absence to cowardice, and of course were loud in their denunciations, avowing their determination to wait no longer than the moment of his return to execute their threats upon him. Henry L. and his sister pondered their situation, and made up their minds that the safety of their brother, as well as their own lives, depended upon the strength of their own nerves and their skill in the use of firearms, and not in the arm of the law, or in the clemency of their enemy.

It was not long before the decision was made with Henry, as he saw the elder Smith coming up the street, and he thereupon armed himself and sallied out to meet him. Smith saw him coming, and turned to pass down a cross street, when he received the discharge from Henry's rifle, and fell mortally wounded. Henry walked off unmolested by the crowds of people who flocked around the dying Smith, and for some months kept his immediate whereabouts unknown to the people of Dubuque.

Of course there was great excitement among the citizens, and the tone of public sentiment was such as to justify Louisa in making up her mind that the task of ridding her friends of their jeopardy devolved on herself. With that end in view, she prepared herself with a pair of horse pistols, with which she practiced at a mark for a few days and then sought the younger Smith in open day, in the public streets of Dubuque. She found him in a grocery, and drawing one of her pistols, she aimed ti at his heart. The ball struck his wallet and was turned away from the seat of life. Smith fell, but raising up, drew his pistol at her. She was, however, prepared, with her second pistol. The people interfered; he was disarmed; and she walked cooly out into another store where she was concealed until night when she returned to her friends. Smith recovered and lived a number of years.

Louisa kept concealed but a few days, and then mingled with society again as before—Franklin settled up the estate and at the end of two years, married the widow of the deceased Woodbury, and took up his residence at Jerseyville, Jersey Co., Illinois. Louisa married respectably, became the mother of two children and died.

Henry has his residence at Potosi, Grant Co., Wisconsin where he has acquired wealth and character. He never married.

The late Mrs. Massey leaves a large family of children: four of whom were Woodbury's children. Se was a pattern wife and mother, and in her checkered life had a large circle of friends who sympathized with her in her varied fortunes...And we can hardly realize that the scenes which we have described were enacted so lately as the year 1835.

Northern NY Journal, Feb. 18, 1852, p. 3:

SUDDEN DEATH—MOSES A. BUNNELL, of the town of Henderson, fell dead from his chair, while sitting at his fireside among his family, on the 7th inst. He had been in his usual good health up to the time of his death. He was a highly esteemed citizen.

New York Reformer, Feb. 19, 1852, p. 1:

The friends of the Rev. A. J. PHELPS are invited to attend a Donation Visit at the Lecture Room of the Arsenal Street, M.E. Church, Watertown, on Thursday, Feb. 26, afternoon and evening. As no tickets will be circulated, the public will please accept this a s a general invitation. By order of the Committee.

Northern NY Journal, Feb. 25, 1852, p. 4:

INFORMATION WANTED—by ELENOR DARLIN, of Marshall, Michigan of the whereabouts of her parents, BENJAMIN and ELIZABETH DARLIN, who, she supposes, are residents of Watertown or vicinity. Elenor says that she was brought in this country some twelve or fifteen years ago, by a family who kept her in entire ignorance of the existence of her parents, and that until after the death of her master and mistress, she never obtained knowledge of them. Any information that can be communicated to the young lady in relation to the objects of her search, will be most thankfully received.

Northern NY Journal, March 3, 1852, p. 3:

REMOVAL OF SACKETS HARBOR BANK—Mr. Van Schoonhoven, on Friday last, presented to the Senate a petition for a change of location of the Sackets Harbor Bank. We understand that it is in contemplation to remove it to Ogdensburgh.

Same page:

PHILANDER SMITH of Adams, and SOLON MASSEY of Watertown, have been appointed by the Governor and Senate, Loan Commissioners for this county, in place of NATHAN INGERSON and WELLS BENTON, Esqrs., whose terms of office had expired.

Northern NY Journal, March 10, 1852, p. 4:

ADMINISTRATOR'S NOTICE—Pursuant to an order of Lysander H. Brown, Surrogate of the county of Jefferson, Notice is hereby given to all persons having claims or demands against the estate of PELEG NORTHUP, deceased, late a resident of said county, to exhibit the same, with the vouchers thereof, to John H. Conklin, administrator of all and singular the goods, chattels, and credits of said deceased, at the residence of the said administrator, in the village of Antwerp, on or before the eleventh day of March next, (March 11, 1852)--Dated, September 3, 1851. JOHN H. CONKLIN, Administrator.

New York Reformer, March 11, 1852, p. 3:

David Kennison, said to be the last survivor of the Boston Tea Party, died at Chicago on the 24th ult, and was interred with military honors. (The Northern NY Journal gave his age as 110 years and that he may have briefly lived in Jefferson Co., NY.)

New York Reformer, March 18, 1852, p. 6:

FIRE AT CARTHAGE-Saturday morning, about 1 o'clock, the building occupied by Mr. HODGKINS as a grocery and provision store, was discovered to be on fire. Being an old wooden building it burnt rapidly and but very little of the goods were saved. The neighboring buildings, Dr. FRENCH'S new residence, and HENRY'S HOTEL were seriously endangered, but the efforts of the citizens saved them. The premises belonged to Dr. French, and were insured $400, the probable value. Mr. Hodkins was also insured on his stock $1,000 which will nearly cover his loss.

Same issue, same page:

DROWNED in the BLACK RIVER, yesterday, about 1 p.m., Mr. DANIEL SWEENY, a tailor in the employ of Messrs, Bannister & Vincent, merchants of this village. The deceased accidentally fell into the aqueduct of the Beebee factory on Beebee's Island, and was immediately carried out of sight. Age about 36; leaves a wife and one child.

Northern NY Journal, March 24, 1852, p. 3:

NEW MEAT MARKET—Mr. BENJ. JACKMAN, well known to this community as a popular hotel keeper at Boonville, Evans Mills and Antwerp, has recently opened a meat market in the basement of Angel's block (under Wells and Angel's Grocery Store) where he is offering choice beef, pork and other meats, at as low rates as the times will admit. He is a fair dealer and an honorable man, and his “shop” will soon be as much thronged with customers as his hotel has been formerly with visitors.

New York Reformer, April 1, 1852, p. 3:

We are informed that there is full 3 feet of solid old snow, in Richland on the W & R. R.R., and that the sleighing is as fine as need be. It is not unusual for our Richland, Redfield, Turin and Chatagee neighbors to have a liberal supply of snow, but we are not prepared to see such a footing, so late in the season—and yet we are told that the late Capt. Bailey, went on a journey from here to Otsego County, with good sleighing all the way there and back—during the first week in April, 1816.

Same issue, same page:

SAD ACCIDENT: CALVIN AUBURN, Esq., of Factory Street, received a severe and lasting injury, on Saturday last, having one finger sawed entirely off, and two others so broken and mutilated as to probably prove worthless to him hereafter. The injury was on his right hand, and was done by a buzz saw. The forefinger remains uninjured by this accident, but that—a few years since, was cut off at the roots of the nail: so that both accidents have about destroyed his right hand.

Northern NY Journal, April 7, 1851, p. 4:

The ice is still firm on the Bay at Sackets Harbor, and the past week it was safely crossed by teams. The same is true we understand at Cape Vincent. The Hudson has been navigable for a week past and the boats are running regularly between New York and Albany.

New York Reformer, April 8, 1852, p. 1:

SNOW—Our distant readers may be somewhat surprised to learn that it snowed here on Monday night—April 5th and most of Tuesday, falling to the depth of 8 to 10 inches. We hope this is the last of a hard winter.

Northern NY Journal, April 14, 1852, p. 1:

NOTARIES PUBLIC- B. F. HUTCHKIN, F. EMERSON, B. F. STILLMAN and JARED C. TUBBS of Watertown; JASON PHELPS of Sackets Harbor and S. WARDWELL of Adams, have been appointed Notaries Public by the Governor and Senate.

Same issue, same page:

We are much pained to learn of the sudden and severe indisposition of Hon. J. BOYER of Evans Mills. We earnestly hope, in common with his ten thousand warm personal friends, that the present fears of a fatal termination of his illness may not be realized. PS—We learn that JUDGE B. expired on Monday night.

New York Reformer, April 15, 1852, p. 3:

At a regular meeting of Brownville Division of the Sons of Temperance, held at Brownville on the 7th inst., the following preamble and resolutions were adopted:
WHEREAS It has please the Disposer of all things to remove by death from our midst, brother CHESTER ALLEN, late a worthy member of our fraternity, thereby rending the ties which bound us together, and depriving the Brotherhood and community of one highly respected...signed: L. RICE, W. C. KANE and JAMES A. CHASE, Committee.

Northern NY Journal, April 28, 1852, p. 4:

FIRE AT EAST RODMAN—The new hotel of A. W. FERGUSON, at East Rodman, took fire on the afternoon of the 19th inst., and was entirely consumed. The most part of the furniture was saved. Loss some $2,000; slightly insured.

Northern NY Journal, May 12, 1852, p. 3:

BODY RECOVERED—The body of DAVID SWEENY, the man drowned at the falls last spring, was found near Dexter, one day last week, and an inquest was held on it by Coroner Mitchell.

Same issue, same page:

FUNERAL OF MISSES ALLEN and WILLIAMSON—On Saturday last we were present at the burial of Miss MARY N. ALLEN and Miss ELENORA WILLIAMSON, two of the young ladies who were killed by the late melancholy accident near Pierrepont Manor...lengthy description of the funeral followed.

New York Reformer, May 13, 1852, p. 1:

Mr. Taylor, an employee of the railroad, agreed to use a hand car for an excursion of pleasure to Sandy Creek, distant from Pierrepont Manor some eight miles...The party consisted of: THOMAS PEASE, DECATUR WILLIAMSON, THEODORE ANDRUS, HENRY ALLEN, WILLIAM TAYLOR, all in the employe of the railroad company; MARY N. ALLEN, FANNY H. WRIGHT, ELNORA WILLIAMSON, EMILY ANDRES, JULIA STEBBINS, FRANCES RANSOM, MRS. JOSEPHINE PEASE and ELLEN PEASE. The party left Pierrepont Manor about half past 8 o'clock p.m....Taylor became alarmed at the approach of what he designated an irregular train..and made every possible effort to get out of the way of the approaching train...the gentlemen who, with some of the ladies, four of them taking each a lady placing themselves out of danger. Four of the ladies were seated at the time in the center of the car and made no particular effort to this instant the handcar was struck by the tender to the locomotive...throwing them on the track and killing three instantly..striking the fourth, Miss Andrus in the forehead..with a serious probably fatal wound....the three women who were killed were Fanny H. Wright, Mary N. Allen and Elnora Williamson.

Northern NY Journal, May 19, 1852, p. 2:

SWORD PRESENTATION-A beautiful sword was presented to Captain W. C. BROWNE, by the members of the Citizens' Corps, at Apollo Hall, previous to their public parade on Friday last. The compliment was expressive of the esteem in which they held their commanding officer, as a man and for his efforts, energy and good judgment displayed in organizing the company, and in perfecting it in military practice. The sword was presented by J. R. A. PERKINS, Esq., accompanied with a speech, which was appropriately responded to by Capt. Browne. After this ceremony, the Corps appeared in public parade, and attracted the...citizens generally by their fine, soldierly appearance and manoeuvers. Watertown may well be proud of her Citizens' Corps.

Northern NY Journal, June 2, 1852, p. 3:

Statistics from the 1850 census:
The aggregate population of Jefferson Co. is 68,153; 182 colored. There are 34,748 males and 33,223 females of the white population and of the colored, 90 are males and 92 females. Of this number, 60,281 were born in the United States and 7,872 in foreign countries. Deaths during the year ending June 1, 1851, 572; marriages 773; dwellings 11,926, families 12,235, farms 8,500...The average price paid farm hands in this county with board is set down at $12 per month...carpenters' wages $1.50 per day, without board...there are 89 churches in Jefferson...(article includes additional data for both Jefferson and Lewis counties)

New York Reformer, June 3, 1852, p. 3:

FOUNDLING—A child, a week old or more, was found last Wednesday evening about 10 o'clock p.m., on the doorstep of the residence of Mr. JOHN ADAMS, between here and the centre of the town, The child was alive and kicking.

Same page:

FIRE—On Wednesday morning of last week, a fire broke out in the tin shop of C. H. WRIGHT on Factory Street. The building with its contents, a small dwelling, a bar, sheds, &c., were consumed. Mr. Wright's loss is estimated at $5,400; insured, $3,600. His reputation for business and enterprise incline us to the belief that a better building will soon rise from the ruins of the old one.

Same page:

FARE REDUCED—The Friends of Temperance desirous of attending the Convention on the 11th inst., will be pleased to learn that the far on the railroad for delegates, has been reduced one half. Thanks to the liberality of the Directors and Superintendent, R. B. DOXTATER, for this act of generosity. We hope to see Ellisburgh, Adams, Lorraine, Cape Vincent, Lyme and Brownville, send large numbers of their staunch temperance men to the Convention; since they can attend at such a trifling sacrifice of time and expense, it would show a great want of interest and zeal in the cause not be be present.

Same page:

GUSTAVUS A. WHITNEY, late clerk in Messrs. Cooper and Woodruff's Hardware Store, and who died on Saturday last of consumption, was buried on Sunday afternoon with high honors. The services took place at the State St. Methodist Church. The Odd Fellows, the Citizens Corps., and the Band were in attendance. The procession was a very lengthy one, and formed a solemn and imposing spectacle. The high estimation in which the deceased was held by our citizens, was evinced by the throngs that attended his funeral, a commendation to which his amiable disposition, uprightness, and moral worth richly entitled him.

Same page:

ORDERED TO OREGON AND CALIFORNIA—We learn from reliable authority, that the United States troops, stationed at Sackets Harbor, and Oswego, have been ordered to Oregon and California.

New York Reformer, June 10, 1852, p. 1:

FISH STORY – In a fishing excursion to Beach's Lake, last week, L. C. DAVENPORT, Esq., of Lowville, caught a salmon trout weighing over 23 pounds.

New York Reformer, June 17, 1852, p. 3:

FOURTH OF JULY, 1852—At a meeting of the Citizens, held at the Kirby House, on Friday, June 11th, 1852, on motion of F. T. STORY, Esq., the President of the Village, DR. HANNAHS was unanimously elected Chairman, and J. S. VAN BUREN, Secretary.

On motion, the following gentlemen were appointed a Committee of 13, to meet at this place on Saturday evening the 12th, to make arrangements for celebrating the day:


Resolved that these proceedings be published in the village papers. K. HANNAHS, Chairman, J. S. Van BUREN, Secretary It is the intention of the Committee, to do all in their power to have a good old fashioned celebration, in which all societies, military and civil, are expected to take part.

New York Reformer, June 24, 1852, p. 2:

LEFT HOME—ANNA VAN EPPS, the daughter of the Subscriber, left his house suddenly on Monday morning 11th inst., about seven o'clock, and no information has yet been obtained of her whereabouts. She is about 15 years old, rather short in stature and retired in her manners. When she left she had on a a rather short dress of muslin de lain, somewhat worn, wide stripe and a gingham sunbonnet. Any person having any knowledge of her, will confer a favor by notifying the subscriber at Carthage, Jeff. co., NY. Will other papers please copy. EZRA VAN EPPS June 23, 1852.

Same page:

A new Post Office, named Pogland, has been established in this county, near Antwerp--C. D. SMITH, has been appointed Post Master.

Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page