|Part: 1||Part: 2||Part: 3||Part: 4||Part: 5||Part: 6||Part: 7||Part: 8|
|Part: 9||Part: 10||Part: 11||Part: 12||Part: 13||Part: 14||Part: 15||Part: 16|
Widow of Retired Railroad Man Was Native of Lisbon.
Where a Brother, Lee Hanna, Lives---Funeral Thursday at Heuvelton.
(Special to The Times.)
Ogdensburg, Feb. 15. -- Mrs. Emma J. Fackerell, 78, of 908 State street, died at the home of her sister-in-law, Mrs. Lyda Hanna of Heuvelton, at 7:10 this morning following an illness of five months. She had lived in Ogdensburg for 49 years and went to live with her sister when her health became impaired.
Mrs. Fackerell was an active member of the Methodist church of Ogdensburg and organized the Queen Esther circle in that church. In addition she belonged to the Ladies’ Aid society, the Missionary society of the church and Maple City chapter, O. E. S.
She was born in Lisbon July 8, 1859, daughter of David and Hannah Dawley Hanna. On June 15, 1889, she was married to Luther E. Fackerell and the couple moved to Ogdensburg. Mrs. Fackerell, a retired railroad man, died Aug. 9, 1933.
Surviving are a brother, Lee Hanna of Lisbon; three nephews, Harold Hanna of Heuvelton, and Mark and David Hanna of Lisbon, and a niece, Mrs. Clarence Hall of Waddington.
Funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon at 2 from the home of her sister-in-law, Rev. Theophilus Wells, pastor of the Methodist church in Ogdensburg, officiating. The body will be placed in the vault at Heuvelton pending interment at White Church cemetery, Lisbon, in the spring.
Typist’s Note: 1938 was penned in at the top of this obit.
Redwod, April 9. -- Miss M. Adeline Immerson and Frederick Murray were married Friday at Port Leyden.
Miss Immerson is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Immerson of Redwood, and Mr. Murray is a resident of Port Leyden. He is a private in Battery B, Fifth Field Artillery at Madison Barracks.
Native and Lifelong Resident of Theresa, Mr. Duffany Formerly Operated Store -
He Was Head of Seeber’s Dam Light Plant.
(Special to The Times.)
Theresa, April 7.- Lewis Duffany, assistant superintendent of the village lighting system and head of the lighting plant at Seeber’s dam, died here early today, his 68th birthday.
Mr. Duffany died about 9 am at his home at the plant. In ill health the past year, he suffered an embolism at 5 Tuesday afternoon while leaving the plant. He was unable to speak or recognize friends Wednesday. Local physicians had expressed the belief that he would survive the attack within the course of five days.
Mr. Duffany was born here April 7, 1870. He was a son of Frank and Mary Duffany. He always lived in Theresa, at one time operating a store here.
He married Miss Isabele MacDonald of Redwood, Aug 1, 1899. He took over the village lighting plant in 1918. At one time he was a member of the local fire department and later was chief.
Mr. Duffany was a member of the Theresa lodge, F and A. M. He was also an honorary member of the village fire department at the time of his death. He was a former noble grand of the Odd Fellows lodge here.
Surviving besides his widow are two daughters, Mrs. Lena Dudley and Miss Mary Duffany; a son, Allen Duffany, all of Theresa; a brother, Frank Duffany of Watertown; two sisters, Mrs. Thomas Pedder of Theresa and Mrs. Charles Bartram of Clayton, and a niece, Mrs. Wayne VanAllen of Theresa.
Typist‘s Note: 1938 penciled in.
Dutch Settlement: Mrs. Bertha Edgerly passed away suddenly at her home here, Sunday evening at 7:30 o’clock.
Mrs. Edgerly who passed away three months after the death of her husband, had been in poor health for the past two years. She had been spending a few days with her daughter, Mrs. Norman Hutchinson at Clayton and had returned home, Saturday. She was taken suddenly ill, Sunday evening and passed away before medical aid could reach her. Death was caused from heart trouble.
Mrs. Edgerly was born on the old Pierce homestead in this district, Nov. 1, 1880, the daughter of Caroline Harder Pierce and the late Samuel Pierce. Thirty-eight years ago in February, she married Elmer Edgerly, who passed away, Dec. 17, 1937. She had spent her entire life here. They had always been farmers and about twenty years ago they purchased the F. Pierce farm, where they both died. She was a member of Kirkland Grange and the Methodist Episcopal church of Redwood.
She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Guy Hunneyman, Mrs. Howard Pierce, and Mrs. Norman Hutchinson, and one son, Lionel; eleven grandchildren; her mother; two sisters, Mrs. Charles Hunneyman and Mrs. F. Hotis.
The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon from the home at 1:30 and at 2:00 from the Redwood Methodist Episcopal church. Burial was made in the Redwood cemetery.
Golden Wedding bells chimed Tuesday evening, February fifteenth in honor of Mr. and Mrs. William W. Avery, as they passed the fiftieth milestone on their journey through life. Over one-hundred relatives and friends were present to honor one of the most respected couples of our little community.
Mr. and Mrs. Avery (the former Miss Ida Overacker) are descendants of pioneer families of this section. Making their home on the old Avery homestead at Alexandria Center for a few years after their marriage, they settled in this village in 1898 and purchased their present home in the year 1903.
Mr. Avery who held the position of Customs Inspector at this port from 1898 to his retirement in 1933, is a splendid example of the civic minded type of citizen. Aside from his business obligations he has served at various time (sic) on the school board of which he is now president; has been a member of the official board of his church for many years; and has ably assisted in all civic projects.
Mrs. Avery has been the homemaker in the truer sense of the word, always graciously greeting and caring for those who enter her domain.
Garlands of golden wedding bells were used throughout the house, and the room in which Mr. and Mrs. Avery received their many guests was banked with ferns and flowers, including fifty yellow roses, a gift from their daughter. Those in the receiving line were Mr. and Mrs. William W. Avery, their daughter, Lydia, their niece, Miss Geneva Overacker, and their nephew and wife, Dr. and Mrs. Alfred Draper.
While the guests were assembling Laurel Putman, violinist, accompanied by Miss Margaret Todd, played several selections from old familiar tunes, ending with Mendelssohn’s Wedding March. After the guests had assembled, Mr. Putman rendered that beautiful old refrain, “O Promise Me”.
Dr. Draper, acting as Master of Ceremonies explained that at the time Mr. and Mrs. Avery were married, Rev. A. Cottrell, was out of wedding certificates, and as the Averys did not receive their certificate until a few days after the ceremony, it had never been signed by their attendants. (This was before marriage licenses were issued by the State).
As both of their attendants of fifty years ago, (Miss Lydia Overacker, now Mrs. George Marklie, and Charles Overacker, sister and brother of Mrs. Avery), were present Tuesday evening, sacredness was lent to the celebration, with the signing of the certificate. As the bride and groom of fifty years ago joined hands, Rev. Roger F. Williams, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, gave a brief service, followed by the Lord’s prayer in unison, and a benediction by the pastor. The witnesses then signed the certificate.
Miss Isabel Turkington gave two readings, “Sweethearts” and “My Golden Wedding Day.”
The Misses Gwen Hunt and Lula Bellinger sang, “I Love You Truly” and “Put On Your Old Gray Bonnet.”
Mrs. Gerald Bigely read a resume of the Avery’s journey through life, which their daughter had put to rhyme.
As faithful members of the local Methodist Episcopal church, the Averys received congratulations from the Official Board and from the Ladies Aid, as well as from Thousand Island Chapter, O. E. S. Telegram greetings were received from Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Detwiler of Chester, Pa. and Mr. and Mrs. Frank Fitzsimmons of Rockport, Ont. These were read by Mrs. Alfred Draper. She also read a sketch written by Mrs. Edward Herrick, recalling some of the happy instances during the Averys’ courtship days and early married life.
A duet, “Love’s Old Sweet Song” was sung by Misses Hunt and Bellinger.
Typist’s Note: A photo of the couple was inserted here. It was captioned at the top with “Wed 50 Years, Renew Vows” and at the bottom with “Mr. and Mrs. William Avery.”
Rev. C. G. Roop, a former pastor of the local Methodist Church spoke briefly.
Edward D. Herrick, a life long friend of the Averys, presented them with a purse of money and well wishes from the assembled guests. Both Mr. and Mrs. Avery responded graciously. They also received many lovely gifts as well as flowers and cake.
A buffet luncheon was served, golden wedding bells and yellow taper candles decorating the table. A five tiered wedding cake in white and yellow, with touches of pink and blue, was used as the center piece.
Of the sixty, mostly aunts, uncles, and cousins, who attended the wedding only five are living. Four were present at the celebration, Mrs. Geo. Marklie, Charles Overacker, Ross Northrup, and Mrs. Mary McFadden.
Out of town guests included, Dr. and Mrs. Alfred A. Draper, Mrs. Mary McFadden of Watertown, Miss Florence Gilbert of Ogdensburg, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Witherhead of Morristown, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Rodenhurst of Theresa, Rev. and Mrs. C. G. Roop of Ellisburg as well as several relatives and friends from Redwood and vicinity.
The Avery’s 50th Anniversary
By Lydia J. Avery
On the 15th day of February in 1888
The relatives all assembled--Not one of them was late,
Uncles, Aunts and Cousins to Barnes Settlement did come
To See Miss Overacker marry, Alf Avery’s youngest son.
For ‘twas as the clock was chiming one,
On a clear, cold, sunny day
That sweet William took possession
Of bashful Ida May
A glorious banquet followed
With plenty of things to eat,
But the honeymoon was tragic
And hard for one to repeat.
The trunk was all packed for a journey
(Chicago was the place)
But (words obliterated here)
Sickness held full sway,
And only five days later
They laid the bridegroom’s father away.
Then as if this wasn’t plenty--
Fate still held the upper hand
And the groom, himself, picked up a germ
And Pneumonia took her stand.
The bride was lost in the background
And little of her do we see
In a house filled with mourning and sickness
But I’ll bet she wished she were free.
But dark clouds have bright linings.
And it wasn’t so long before
Time washed away the tragic
And the sun shined thru once more.
The outlook on life was somewhat changed
(Will must take his father’s place)
So the couple moved in, with the mother
And started a life-long race
The days that followed were not easy
There was sickness, hard work and pain
And the bills piled up galore
With little, if any gain.
Time passed along and in the year of 1893
They started on their honeymoon--the world’s fair to see.
They rode on the giant Ferris wheel
And walked the “great white way”
And even saw the mighty Niagara,
As it thundered on day by day.
Six more years flew by and Ida
Was contented and happy, I know
But William just hated farming
More and more and more.
And so he asked his Republican friends
To help him out a bit
And put him in an office
Where he could get rich, quick.
They did as he requested
And it wasn’t long before
He was Uncle Sam’s official
With his name printed on a door.
Not so many moons away from this
Came another great event,
And my friends, would you believe it
After years of peaceful bliss
They were now the proud parents
Of a nine-pound, blue-eyed miss.
The mother looked upon the child
With a great deal of pride and joy
But the father thought her lung-power wild,
And wished that, she might have been a boy.
Another summer passed away
And then they left the farm,
Grandmother, mother and Lydia J.
To live in the village of Alex. Bay
They lived on Walton Street and Bethune
And then in 1903
They bought property on Church street
Which made them feel more free.
Will laid out Avery Avenue--
Thus starting a brand new street.
He sold off lots and tried to make
A little dough to keep.
But fate as always did her part,
To keep good times away,
With a growing girl needing money,
And large doctor’s bills to pay.
Many times he signed his name
On a fellow’s note or bail,
Then the kick would come on Dad
Instead of the sinner going to jail.
And mother too was always going
To see the sick and attend the dead:
Giving up so many pleasures,
To take care of old folks instead.
Now the years have gone by quickly
And total the half-century score,
While this good couple live to smile
And look forward to things galore.
Their experienced past is filled with things,
The ups and downs of life,
With thorns and roses interwined (sic),
But how worth while the strife.
So here’s three cheers for the Averys,
May they live long past the score,
For such good people are always needed
To help the world some more.
Typist’s Note: The date, Feb. 15, ‘38, appeared at the beginning of the Avery items.
Widow of Edward E. Parker Held Record in the United States
For Longest Continuous Service as Pomona Grange Officer.
Mrs. Elizabeth G. Zimmerman Parker, 74, of 1112 State street, secretary of the Jefferson County Pomona grange for 43 years, who held the record in the United States for longest continuous service as a Pomona grange officer, died suddenly at 8 Monday evening at the home of her son, Neil J. Parker, at Wilton, Saratoga county.
Mrs. Parker, widow of Edward E. Parker, had been in the habit of spending the summer months at the home of her son and the rest of the year at the home of her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Roy E. Parker, 1112 State street.
(a photo of “Mrs. Elizabeth G. Parker” appeared here.)
While details regarding circumstances of her death were not definitely received here, her death was believed to have been caused by heart disease. She planned to rturn home here by March 1.
Mrs. Parker took a trip to Saratoga Springs with her son, Neil, Monday and she appeared to be in her usual health during the day. However, she had not been well, having been stricken ill during the latter part of August with an eye ailment. She was also subject to high blood pressure.
She had been at the home of her son at Wilton since the early part of June.
The body will be brought by motor hearse to the William R. Box company funeral home and will later be taken to the home of her other son, Earl W. Parker, Brownville, where funeral services will be held. Burial will be made in the Brownville cemetery.
Had Bent Over Battery When Lighted Match Ignited Fumes Causing Blast
Brought Here For Treatment When Injuries Are Found Seriious.
Bernard Evans, 31, a tenant on a farm near Redwood, is in the Mercy hospital as the result of an explosion which may cost him sight of both eyes. An operation was performed here this noon during which it was found necessary to remove one eye. Very little hope is held out for the other eye, physicians say. Except for his eyes, Mr. Evans was but slightly burned.
Mr. Evans was rushed here from Redwood last night after the injured man had been given first aid at Redwood.
Mr. Evans stooped over a storage battery being charged by an electric unit at his home, lighted a match to see if everything was working correctly and immediately ignited fumes from the acid. An explosion followed, the full charge of which Mr. Evans received directly in the face.
Mrs. Evans who rushed to his assistance found him writhing with pain. She immediately called for assistance and the injured man was taken to the office of Dr. E. E. Eddy, some distance away.
After a hurried examination Dr. Eddy found his injuries serious and ordered him brought to this city for treatment.
Mr. Evans is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Evans of Redwood. He is married and has two children.
Typist’s Note: March 23, 1927 was handwritten at the top of this obit.
Theresa, Oct. 10. -- The funeral services of Valentine Neuroth, who died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Mary West, near Redwood, on Monday, was held from the West residence on Thursday at 2, Rev. W. P. Garrett of Plessis, officiating. Burial was made in the family plot in Oakwood cemetery in this village.
Mr. Neuroth, who had been seriously ill for a long time, was one of the best known men in the northern part of the town, having resided there much of his life time, where he, by thrift and industry, acquired a large property. He always enjoyed the distinction of having the best tilled lands and of having his work well up to season and was a most useful and kind neighbor.
His wife died a number of years ago. Since that time he had resided much of the time with his daughters, Mrs. Mary West. Mr. Neuroth is survived by three sons and two daughters, George of Philadelphia, Henry of this town and Charles of Lafargeville, Mrs. Mary West and Mrs. Maggie Slate, both of this town.
Mr. Neuroth was a brother of the late John Neuroth, a well known business man of Watertown. He was one of the number of those who came over from the Fatherland a half century or so ago and became one of the strong citizens of the place.
Typist Note: This was presented on another website -- that listing showed the year 1913 or 1914.
Lafargeville, Aug. 31. -- Harry Haas and Miss Frances D. Hickok, both of Evans Mills, were married at 2:30 yesterday afternoon at the Methodist Episcopal parsonage here, Rev. I. J. Howland, the pastor, officiating.
Mr. Haas is an automobile mechanic and operates a garage at Black River. He is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Haas. The bride is a school teacher at Evans Mills. She is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lester Hickok. He (sic) will continue teaching at Evans Mills.
The couple left on a wedding trip to the Syracuse state fair, Rochester and Niagara Falls. Upon their return they will make their home at Black River.
Typist’s Note: 1927 was handwritten on this article.
(Special to The Times.)
Theresa, Nov. 4. -- George Neuroth, 57, died suddenly here this morning as he was returning to his home at Bentley’s Corners, half way between Theresa and Antwerp. He had come to Theresa this morning, and had stopped at the Farmers Milling Company with his car for some grain. He had his car partly loaded when he fell between it and the platform from which he was loading the grain. Dr. F. L. Santway was nearby. He sent for Dr. S. A. Holling to help him, but their efforts were futile.
Mr. Neuroth was a well known farmer in this section. He was born near here, Dec. 30, 1868, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Valentine Neuroth. He had been a farmer all his life.
He is survived by three children, Clarence and Lawrence of the town of Antwerp, and Rena, who lives at home; two sisters, Mrs. Mary Rowell and Mrs. Maggie Slate, both of the town of Antwerp, and two brothers, Henry, also of the town of Antwerp, and Charles of Pamelia.
He was a member of the Baptist church of Philadelphia, also the Odd Fellows of Philadelphia, and the Macabees of Theres.
The funeral arrangements are incomplete.
Typist’s Note: 1925 was handwritten at the top of this obit.
Leaves Surviving Father, Harrison H. Zoller of Black River, and Sister, Also of Black River.
Syracuse, Feb. 23. -- Charles H. Zoller, 50, for the last 30 years station agent at Clay, died Monday night at Syracuse Memorial hospital after an illness of one month. Mr. Zoller had been a patient at the hospital ten days. He under went an operation on Wednesday from which he failed to rally.
A native of Redwood, Mr. Zoller came to Clay 30 years ago and entered the employ of the New York Central railroad. He was station master and was also in charge of the blind crossing on the Bladwinsville and Cicero Highway. He was commended recently by railroad officials for having kept the slate clear of accidents at that crossing for 30 years.
Mr. Zoller was a member of the Order of Railroad Telegraphers; the Clay East Grange; Fort Brewerton Lodge of Masons; the Clay Lutheran Church and the volunteer fire department of that village.
Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Emma E. Weller Zoller; one daughter, Miss Helen C. Zoller; his father, Harrison H. Zoller, 83, a veteran of the Civil war and at present a resident of Black River and one sister, Mrs. Benjamin Wright of Black River.
Funeral services will be conducted private at the home Thursday at 2. Burial will be in Pine Plains cemetery. Friends may call at the home Wednesday afternoon and evening.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1927, was handwritten on this obit.
(Special To The Times.)
Alexandria Bay, April 26. -- George Adams of Redwood, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Handschall, and Miss Viva Mabel Carlisle, of Redwood, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Carter Carlisle, were united in marriage at the Reformed church parsonage Saturday evening, the Rev. Paul Malefyt officiating. The witnesses were Ross J. Northrup and Davis Comstock of Alexandria Bay.
The future home of the couple will be in Redwood.
Typist’s Note: 1926 was written at the top of this notice.
Held Muzzle of Shotgun in Hand, Using Foot to Manipulate String Attached to Trigger
Left Note Behind.
Charles Neuroth, 59, father of 14 (sic) children, committed suicide this morning by shooting himself with a shotgun early this morning in the barn on his farm about a mile and a half from Pamelia Four Corners. He was alone on the farm at the time his wife and family being at the home of his son, George, on another farm owned by him about five miles distant. The body was found by Emory Fults, a neighbor, when he came to draw Neuroth’s milk.
Neuroth and Fults alternated each morning drawing the milk and as it was Fults turn, he went to the Neuroth farm at about 8 this morning. When he drove into the yard, he found the milk in front of the barn door covered with a blanket and on the blanket, a note. The note read:
‘I happy I happy George I like to see.” There was no punctuation.
He read the note and then went to the barn door and called Neuroth, thinking to get him to help load the milk. There was no answer and he opened the door and found Neuroth lying on the floor.
Neuroth was partly reclining on the barn floor with his head resting against the left half of the double barn doors. He had tied a binding cord to his foot and attached the other end to the trigger of the shotgun and holding the muzzle of the gun has discharged its load into his throat, just below his chin. The charge came out his left ear. Fults ‘phoned Wilton Gardner, a neighbor to the other farm where the wife and family were, and Gardner notified them.
The authorities were notified and District Attorney E. Robert Wilcox, Under-Sheriff Brumley C. Wilde and Deputy Sheriff Herbert Robb went to the farm to investigate. The farm is located about a mile and a half west of Pamelia Four Corners and was formerly the William Nellis property. The barn where Neuroth committed suicide is about ten rods from the house.
They investigated and upon entering the barn found the dead man lying as before described. There were powder stains about the wound and the outside and inside of the muzzle of the gun was covered with blood. They discovered no indication of any person having touched the body nor of any struggle on the part of Neuroth. The note that had been pinned to the blanket over the milk cans outside of the door was found to be written on part of a billhead.
They were informed that he owned the gun and that there had been two loaded shells on a shelf in the house. They went into the house and found one shell on the shelf. The other shell was the discharged one in the gun. On a table in the sitting room, they found the billhead with a corner torn off on which Neuroth had written the note.
After talking with the wife, daughters and the oldest son, the district attorney found that Neuroth caused his death by his own hand. He was informed that Neuroth had been acting strangely at times recently and had exhibited strong manifestation of temper. There was no evidence of any financial worry.
It was found that he had complained of a pain in his left shoulder which had severely taxed his patience and his strength. He had made the statement that he didn’t know why the Lord had kept him alive so long and made him suffer so much. His wife, Mrs. Fannie H. Neuroth, formerly Miss Fannie May Wiswell, told the district attorney that he had frequently wished himself dead during the past three or four weeks.
She went to see her son, George, Sunday, and when she left that was the last time that she saw him alive. She said that he was acting strangely when she left and that he told her he was going with the boys to get a load of wood.
A daughter, Hattie, aged 20, said that there had been no quarrels at any time nor any suspicious circumstances. Emory Fults, the neighbor who found him, said that he saw Neuroth going back and forth between the barn and the house early in the morning. It is believed that the suicide occurred about 7 in the morning.
Fults told a Times reporter this morning that he had noticed that Neuroth had been melancholy at times recently and had been very despondent. He said that Neuroth had always helped him with the loading of the milk and that he went to the door of the barn and called him so that he would come and help and that there was no answer. He then opened the door and found the dead man.
Neuroth was born at Barnes Corners, Oct. 5, 1867, and was the son of Valentine and Mrs. Mary Shultz Neuroth. He married Miss Fannie May Wiswell March 6, 1898, at Depauville. He was a member of Pamelia Grange.
He is survived by his wife and twelve children, eight daughters, Mrs. John Burnside, Whitney Point, Mrs. Herbert Wood of Pamelia, Mrs. William Killenbeck of Redwood, Mrs. Charles Sheever of Chaumont, and Misses Hattie, Eleanor, Ethel and Blanche Neuroth, all of Pamelia; and four sons, Morris, Floyd, George and Edward Neuroth, all of Pamelia.
Burial will be made at Theresa. Other arrangements are incomplete.
Typist’s Note: The date, Feb. 28, 1927, was written in pen on this obit.
Sawmill Owner and Well Known Resident Had Been Ill Long
(Special to The Standard)
REDWOOD, June 29. -- G. P. Springer, 59, a well known resident of this vicinity died Sunday at noon after a long illness of cancer. He entered the House of the Good Samaritan three weeks ago for treatment but was brought to his home Saturday in a weakened condition.
Mr. Springer was born in the town of Alexandria in 1886, a son of Rev. and Mrs. George Springer. On February 27, 1884, he married Miss Mattie Pierce of Moose (sic) Bay who died 18 years ago. For some time he clerked in Alexandria Bay stores and 18 years ago operated a sawmill here. He retired some time ago because of ill health. He was a member of the Odd Fellows, of the Kirkland grange and the Redwood volunteer fire department.
He is survived by one son, Earl B. Springer of this village and one granddaughter. The funeral will be held Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 o’clock and burial will be in the Barnes Settlement cemetery. Rev. Ernest Bragg will officiate and the Odd Fellows will have charge of the services.
Typist’s Note: 1925 was written on this obit.
Husband Is Sealer of Weights and Measures--Funeral Services From Home Friday.
(Special To The Times)
Theresa, Dec. 7. -- Mrs. Lillian M. Bulson died at 4 this morning at The House of the Good Samaritan following an illness of about six weeks. Mrs. Bulson underwent an operation a year ago and after returning home was forced to return to the hospital recently.
Mrs. Bulson was born in Alexandria Bay June 8, 1874. Her parents were Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Campbell. She received her education in Alexandria Bay High school and lived there until shortly after her marriage to Charles H. Bulson Dec. 26, 1900. Mr. Bulson came to Theresa where he was superintendent of schools for some time leaving that office to become county sealer of weights and measures.
Mrs. Bulson was a member of the Methodist church and a very active worker. She was a member and officer of both the home and foreign missionary societies. At the time of her death Mrs. Bulson was superintendent of the cradle roll and for some time officiated as organist.
Mrs. Bulson was a member of the Progress club and the Eastern Star, having held offices in both. Because of Mrs. Bulson’s death the regular meeting of the Optimistic class will be postponed.
Funeral services will be held from the home on Park avenue Friday at 1:30 from the Methodist Episcopal church at 2. Rev. O. E. Raymond of Alexandria Bay and Rev. Mr. E. ?. Spaven of Watertown, assisting Rev. T. W. Carling, local pastor. Burial will be made in Oakwood cemetery.
Typist’s Note; 1927 was penned in at the top of this obit.
Redwood Church Organist Is Married to County Officer in Pretty Ceremony at Redwood
Theresa, April 4. -- A very pretty wedding occurred at St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran church, Redwood, on Wednesday evening at 7 when Miss Grace Evelyn Parker of Redwood and Miss Grace H. Bulson of this village, were united in marriage by Rev. H. B. Kruss, pastor of the church there. They were unattended.
Typist’s Note; A photo was Charles H. Bulson. was inserted here.
The bride was gowned in independence blue chiffon, with uneven hem-line and a large Bertha collar of hand made Alencon lace. Her going away suit was an ensemble of black flat-crepe in modernistic design with the new shade, moderne. She wore hat, gloves and hose to match. The bride is the daughter of Mrs. Sarah Parker and the late Loren Parker. She is a graduate of Syracuse university, fine arts course, and has conducted classes in piano music for some time in Redwood, Theresa and Alexandria Bay. For the past 14 years she has been organist in St. Paul’s church, Redwood. In college she was a member of Mu Phi Epsilon and Eta Pi Upsilon soroities (sic).
The bridegroom is a graduate of the Potsdam Normal school and Central university, Indianapolis, Ind. He was formerly principal at Alexandria Bay High school and of the Theresa High school. He is now county sealer of weights and measures for Jefferson county, a position he has held for some time. He is chairman of the legislative committee of the New York Association of Sealers. He is a past master of Theresa lodge, No. 174, F. & A. M. and a 32nd degree Mason. He is a director of the bank here and secretary of the Theresa Coal company.
Ever since he has resided here he has been active in the affairs of the Methodist church, has been a teacher for a long term of years in the Sunday school and is a member of the school orchestra.
This is the first marriage for the bride and the second marriage for the bridegroom, his first wife being Lillian M. Campbell Bulson, who died in 1927.
Following the wedding Mr. and Mrs. Bulson left on the evening train for New York, Atlantic City and other points. They will reside in the Bulson home in Park avenue, this village.
Redwood, Sept. 20.-- Lena Elizabeth LaDue Hyle, daughter of Charles and Emeline Bishop LaDue was born in Redwood, N. Y., June 27, 1875 and departed this life Sept. 14, 1927 at 1:30 p.m. aged 52 years, two months and 18 days. Mrs. Hyle’s father was a well known glass-blower during his life time and was born in Burlington, Vermont. Mrs. LaDue departed this life from Redwood and Mr. LaDue from Cornwall, Canada.
Mrs. Hyle was educated in the Redwood and Syracuse schools. She was married to Frank L. Hyle of Redwood on June 7, 1904 by the Rev. V. G. Shaffer at the Redwood Baptist church. The first 33 years of her life were spent at Redwood. Afterwards at Standish (Clinton county), Tupper Lake, Potsdam, Central Islip, Long Island, and the last seven years at Bellmore. During this time they have lived in these several places, Mr. Hyle has served as principal of the village schools.
Mrs. Hyle together with her husband were baptized at Baltimore, Sunday, April 3, 1927 and both became members of the Bellmore Methodist Episcopal church on Palm Sunday, April 10, 1927. She was stricken with cancer about one and one-half years ago. Mr. Hyle took her to Rome to a sanatorium July 2, 1927, where she remained until her death.
Funeral services were held at Redwood Methodist Episcopal church Sunday, Sept. 18 at 2 p.m. Rev. Mr. Cordell of Bellimore, Long Island and Rev. Mr. Bragg of Redwood officiating. Interment at Redwood.
Mrs. Hyle was a kind, cheerful, patient companion, friend and neighbor. Her smile brought sunshine wherever she went and she will be greatly missed by her friends both in Redwood and Bellmore. She leaves behind to mourn her loss, her husband, Frank L. Hyle; a sister, Mrs. Amelia Calgrove of Redwood; a brother-in-law, John P. Lawton of Syracuse; Jerome Bishop of Windotte, Mich., a first cousin and a host of other relatives and friends.
Mrs. Colin W. E. Rowing an intimate friend of Mrs. Hyle in Bellmore was on her way to Rome to giver her daily care and comfort but arrive only after Mrs. Hyle had passed away. Mr. Hyle was not even able to reach Rome before her death. The Bellmore public schools of which Mr. Hyle is supervising principal was closed from the time word was received of Mrs. Hyle’s death until Monday morning. Letters of sympathy were received from the teachers and scholars.
The following were the out of town relatives at the funeral: Mr. and Mrs. George H. Hyle, Mr. and Mrs. Albert H. Hyle, Mr. and Mrs. George Leitermann and John P. Lawton all of Syracuse, William Hyle of Manlius, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hyle and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Wells, Mr. and Mrs. F. J. (name not visible), and Miss Maud Welles (city not visible, although it ended in town.).
Typist’s Note; September 14, 1927 was written on the obit.
(Special To The Times)
Clayton, July 28. -- Frank E. Helmer of Alexandria Bay, and Miss Helen Fay Derby of Hammond were united in marriage at the parsonage of the Methodist Episcopal church at Clayton, on Sunday afternoon, by the pastor of the church, Rev. b. G. Miller. The young couple was unattended, and Mrs. Miller acted as witness. The young people will make their home on the Casselman farm, which was recently purchased by Mr. Helmer, at Alexandria Bay. Mr. Helmer was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Sunday school at the Bay when Mr. Miller was the pastor, some years ago.
Typist’s Note: the year, 1926, was written on this short item.
(Special to The Times.)
Redwood, Nov. 3. -- The funeral of Frank L. Petrie, aged 51, who died in a hospital in Binghamton, following an operation for cancer Friday, was held in the Methodist Episcopal church this afternoon, the body having been brought here for burial in the Redwood cemetery. Rev. Ernest Bragg officiated.
Mr. Petrie was born in the town of Theresa. He married May Vrooman, when he was about 23 years old. For a time he resided in Carthage and since then he has lived in different places in the United States. Recently he came from Indiana to Binghamton.
Surviving Mr. Petrie are his wife, Mrs. May Vrooman Petrie, and three sisters, Mrs. Esther West of Redwood, Mrs. Charles Hotaling of Pierrepont Manor, and Mrs. M. J. Amtonuccia (sic) of Santa Cruz, California.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1925, was written on this obit.
LA PATRA -- PETRIE -- In Binghamton, Jan. 4, 1926, by Rev. Leonard C. Murdock, George La Patra of Black River and Mrs. May Petrie of Binghamton.
Typist’s Note: 1926 was written on this notice.
(Special to The Times.)
Theresa, March 10. Leander P. Hibbard, 74, died this morning at his home in this village.
Mr. Hibbard was born at Chauftys Corners Jan. 30, 1853. He was the son of William LeRoy Hibbard, a noted school teacher of this section before the Civil war, and Hannah Hoover Hibbard. He lived for 72 years at the old homestead at Goose Bay. He moved to Theresa two years ago and had been in good health until within two weeks.
He married Mary E. Jones of Shepherd’s Corners in 1880. One daughter, Maude M. Hibbard, who survives him, was born to him by his first wife, who died in 1886. In 1894 he married Clara Closs, who also survives.
Mr. Hibbard was a member and past master of Kirkland grange at Redwood. He took the seventh degree in grange work at Rochester.
The funeral services will be held from his late home Saturday at 2 p.m. The Rev. E. O. McFarland of the Presbyterian church will officiate. Burial will be made in Oakwood cemetery.
The family has requested that friends do not send flowers.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1927, was written on this obit.
Alexandria Bay, Jan. 17. -- Napoleon Hodge died at his home near Alexandria Bay, on Saturday at 11:35 p.m., aged 69 years. He was born July 7, 1857, On Grenadier Island, a son of Thomas and Hannah Hodge, and had resided in this place since he was five years of age. On Oct. 18, 1876, he married Sarah Gilmore and six children were born to them, they being, Harrison and Bert Hodge and Mrs. Mildred Kring, who resided with him, George Hodge of Plainville, Conn., and Mrs. O. H. Hill of this place. There also survives one sister, Mrs. Jane Ball of Watertown and a brother, Wilburn Hodge of Limerick.
The funeral will be held at his home on Tuesday afternoon at 2 and interment will be made in Barnes Settlement cemetery.
Typist’s Note: The year, 1927, was written at the top of this obit.
Had Resided in House Where She Died For Past 56 Years--Ill Only Three Days.
(Special to The Times.)
Redwood, March 10. -- Mrs. Emogene S. Cosgrove, 85, widow of George H. Cosgrove, 85, widow of George H. Cosgrove and mother of Attorney Delos M. Cosgrove of Watertown, died at her home here this morning at 7:30 after an illness of three days. She caught cold a few days ago and it developed into bronchial pneumonia.
Mrs. Cosgrove was one of the oldest and best known residents of this village, being a member of one of the pioneer families here. She was born Oct. 28, 1841, on the old Marshall homestead, just outside of the village, daughter of Romeo and Harriet Van Antwerp Marshall.
All of her life was passed in this vicinity and 56 years ago she was united in marriage to George H. Cosgrove. Sixteen years after their marriage he died. For the past 56 years she had resided in the home where they started housekeeping, her daughter, Mrs. Igene McLear, caring for her in her later years.
She is survived by one son, Delos M. Cosgrove of Watertown; one daughter, Mrs. Igene McLear of this village; three grandchildren, Delos M. Cosgrove, jr., of Watertown, Doris McLear of this village and Delos McLear of White Plains.
Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 from the home here, Rev. Harry Westbrook Reed, D. D., pastor of the All Souls Universalist church of Watertown, officiating. Burial will be made in the Redwood cemetery.
The Marshall family has always been prominent here. Romeo Marshall, father of Mrs. Cosgrove, was a well known farmer and he owned the Marshall homestead where Mrs. Cosgrove was born.
Many nephews and nieces survive Mrs. Cosgrove. Including D. D. T. Marshall of this place and Welby Marshall of Adams Center, Marshall Miller of Aurora, Ill., and Miss Phila Marshall of the same place are nephew and niece and Clarence Marshall of California is another nephew.
COSGROVE--At Redwood, March 10, 1927, Mrs. Emogene S. Cosgrove, aged 85 years, widow of George H. Cosgrove.
Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 from the home in Redwood, Rev. Harry Westbrook Reed, D. D. of Watertown, officiating.
Burial will be made at Redwood.
(Special to The Times.)
Lafargeville, Jan 22.-- Mrs. Berneita (sic) Dorr Timmerman, 24, died at the home of her parents near this village at 7:15 this morning. Mrs. Timmerman had suffered a long illness and death resulted from complications. She spent some time in Watertown and Ogdensburg hospitals in November of last years and a short time ago she was removed to her parents’ home near Lafargeville where she passed away.
Mrs Berneita (sic) Dorr Timmerman was born May 18, 1903, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dorr of Orleans. She was married Sept 10, 1924, to Clifton Timmerman of Orleans Corners where she resided for a time, later moving to Turin, NY. As a result of her illness she was removed to her parents’ home where she resided until the time of her death. Mrs. Timmerman was an active member of the Orleans Lutheran church and Sunday school.
She is survived by her husband, Clifton Timmerman; her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dorr, of Orleans, two sisters, Miss Vivian Dorr, of Orleans, and Mrs. Emmett Schell, of Lafargeville, and two brothers, Harold and Henry, both of Orleans.
Funeral services will be held from the home of her parents Tuesday, Jan 25, at 1 pm Rev. H. B. Krusa of the Redwood Lutheran church will officiate and interment will be made in the Lafargeville cemetery.
Typist’s Note: 1927 appeared in pen at the top of this obit.
Both in Good Health Despite Years---She is 89 and He is 91.
(SPECIAL TO THE TIMES)
Lafargeville, Feb. 9. -- Mr. and Mrs. George Sourwine of this village quietly observed their 66th wedding anniversary at their here today. There was no special celebration of the event but friends and neighbors called during the day to offer congratulations.
They are in good health despite their many years. Mrs. Sourwine is now 89 and Mr. Sourwine recently celebrated his 91st birthday.
George Sourwine and Miss Mary Balts were married on Feb. 9, 1861 on what was then known as the Andrew John Balts farm. They resided for more than 50 years on a farm near here and a few years ago went to reside with their son, Charles Sourwine, and his wife.
Four children were born to them: Charles Sourwine with whom they make their home; Mrs. Thomas Brady of Watertown, Mrs. R. G. Kesler of Chicago and Mrs. Henry Sayers of Deluth, Minn. They also have several grandchildren and great grandchildren.
They are both members of the Evangelical church here.
Typist’s Note: Separate photos of Mrs. George Sourwine and George Sourwine appeared with the article. The year, 1927, appeared at the top of the write-up.
Home of Bride’s Parents Beautifully Decorated For the Occasion
Bride Has Been Teacher at Depauville.
Adams Center, March 15. -- A very pretty wedding took place at noon today, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Greene in Adams Center, when their eldest daughter, Miss Alma Greene was united in marriage to Homer Hamilton, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hamilton of Lafargeville.
The corner of the parlor in which the wedding party stood was banked with ferns. Miss Cora Wiley of Cape Vincent sang, I Love You Truly; then Miss Genevieve Greene, a sister of the bride, played the wedding march as Rev. A. B. Aldrich, the groom and his brother Floyd Hamilton, who acted as best man, entered the parlor and were met by the ring bearers, Eleanor and Harriette Greene, cousins of the bride carrying the rings in Easter lilies, by the bridesmaid, Miss Achsah Greene, a sister of the bride, and by the bride on the arm of her father, Frank A. Greene, who gave her away. The double ring service was used.
The bride wore a Copenhagen-blue canton crepe beaded gown with grey hose and slippers and carried a bouquet of brides’ roses and carnations.
Her bridesmaid, Miss Achsah Greene, wore cocoa-brown satin-faced Canton crepe and carried Ophelia roses and carnations. Miss Genevieve Greene wore black velvet and the little ring-bearers wore green organdie.
Following the ceremony a luncheon was served by the caterers, Mrs. F. A. Withington, assisted by Misses Frances Kellogg, Flavia Edwards, Muriel Edmonds, Gratia Ball, Irene Hart and Elizabeth Squire as waitresses. About 40 guest were present.
The bride’s gifts to her waitresses were lingerie clasps and to her bridesmaid, a silver spoon. The groom’s gift to his best man was a ring.
The bride is a graduate of the teachers’ training class of 1919 of the Adams High school and for about four years has been engaged in teaching. For two years she has been at Depauville where she will complete this school year. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Greene, celebrated their 24th wedding anniversary yesterday.
After April 1, Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton will be at home to their friends on a farm near Depauville.
(Special to The Times.)
Redwood, Feb. 10. -- Albert L. Bickelhaupt of Theresa and Miss Lena B. Beebee, 1018 Bronson street, Watertown, were married this morning at 10 by Rev. H. B. Krusa of the Lutheran church.
Mr. Bickelhaupt is a garage man. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ray S. Beebee of Watertown.
Mr. and Mrs. Bickelhaupt will make their home in Theresa.
Typist’s Note: 1926 was penned in at the top of this item.
Return to Jefferson County Tidbits
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page