Copied and arranged by volunteer Shirley Farone

Alexandria & Orleans: Part: 3

Part: 1Part: 2Part: 3Part: 4Part: 5Part: 6Part: 7Part: 8
Part: 9Part: 10Part: 11Part: 12Part: 13Part: 14Part: 15Part: 16


Husband Is Sealer of Weights and Measures--Funeral Services From Home Friday.

(Special To The Times)

Theresa, Dec. 7. -- Mrs. Lillian M. Bulson died at 4 this morning at The House of the Good Samaritan following an illness of about six weeks. Mrs. Bulson underwent an operation a year ago and after returning home was forced to return to the hospital recently.

Mrs. Bulson was born in Alexandria Bay June 8, 1874. Her parents were Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Campbell. She received her education in Alexandria Bay High school and lived there until shortly after her marriage to Charles H. Bulson Dec. 26, 1900. Mr. Bulson came to Theresa where he was superintendent of schools for some time leaving that office to become county sealer of weights and measures.

Mrs. Bulson was a member of the Methodist church and a very active worker. She was a member and officer of both the home and foreign missionary societies. At the time of her death Mrs. Bulson was superintendent of the cradle roll and for some time officiated as organist.

Mrs. Bulson was a member of the Progress club and the Eastern Star, having held offices in both. Because of Mrs. Bulsonís death the regular meeting of the Optimistic class will be postponed.

Funeral services will be held from the home on Park avenue Friday at 1:30 from the Methodist Episcopal church at 2. Rev. O. E. Raymond of Alexandria Bay and Rev. Mr. E. ?. Spaven of Watertown, assisting Rev. T. W. Carling, local pastor. Burial will be made in Oakwood cemetery.

Typistís Note; 1927 was penned in at the top of this obit.


Redwood Church Organist Is Married to County Officer in Pretty Ceremony at Redwood

Theresa, April 4. -- A very pretty wedding occurred at St. Paulís Evangelical Lutheran church, Redwood, on Wednesday evening at 7 when Miss Grace Evelyn Parker of Redwood and Miss Grace H. Bulson of this village, were united in marriage by Rev. H. B. Kruss, pastor of the church there. They were unattended.

Typistís Note; A photo was Charles H. Bulson. was inserted here.

The bride was gowned in independence blue chiffon, with uneven hem-line and a large Bertha collar of hand made Alencon lace. Her going away suit was an ensemble of black flat-crepe in modernistic design with the new shade, moderne. She wore hat, gloves and hose to match. The bride is the daughter of Mrs. Sarah Parker and the late Loren Parker. She is a graduate of Syracuse university, fine arts course, and has conducted classes in piano music for some time in Redwood, Theresa and Alexandria Bay. For the past 14 years she has been organist in St. Paulís church, Redwood. In college she was a member of Mu Phi Epsilon and Eta Pi Upsilon soroities (sic).

The bridegroom is a graduate of the Potsdam Normal school and Central university, Indianapolis, Ind. He was formerly principal at Alexandria Bay High school and of the Theresa High school. He is now county sealer of weights and measures for Jefferson county, a position he has held for some time. He is chairman of the legislative committee of the New York Association of Sealers. He is a past master of Theresa lodge, No. 174, F. & A. M. and a 32nd degree Mason. He is a director of the bank here and secretary of the Theresa Coal company.

Ever since he has resided here he has been active in the affairs of the Methodist church, has been a teacher for a long term of years in the Sunday school and is a member of the school orchestra.

This is the first marriage for the bride and the second marriage for the bridegroom, his first wife being Lillian M. Campbell Bulson, who died in 1927.

Following the wedding Mr. and Mrs. Bulson left on the evening train for New York, Atlantic City and other points. They will reside in the Bulson home in Park avenue, this village.


Redwood, Sept. 20.-- Lena Elizabeth LaDue Hyle, daughter of Charles and Emeline Bishop LaDue was born in Redwood, N. Y., June 27, 1875 and departed this life Sept. 14, 1927 at 1:30 p.m. aged 52 years, two months and 18 days. Mrs. Hyleís father was a well known glass-blower during his life time and was born in Burlington, Vermont. Mrs. LaDue departed this life from Redwood and Mr. LaDue from Cornwall, Canada.

Mrs. Hyle was educated in the Redwood and Syracuse schools. She was married to Frank L. Hyle of Redwood on June 7, 1904 by the Rev. V. G. Shaffer at the Redwood Baptist church. The first 33 years of her life were spent at Redwood. Afterwards at Standish (Clinton county), Tupper Lake, Potsdam, Central Islip, Long Island, and the last seven years at Bellmore. During this time they have lived in these several places, Mr. Hyle has served as principal of the village schools.

Mrs. Hyle together with her husband were baptized at Baltimore, Sunday, April 3, 1927 and both became members of the Bellmore Methodist Episcopal church on Palm Sunday, April 10, 1927. She was stricken with cancer about one and one-half years ago. Mr. Hyle took her to Rome to a sanatorium July 2, 1927, where she remained until her death.

Funeral services were held at Redwood Methodist Episcopal church Sunday, Sept. 18 at 2 p.m. Rev. Mr. Cordell of Bellimore, Long Island and Rev. Mr. Bragg of Redwood officiating. Interment at Redwood.

Mrs. Hyle was a kind, cheerful, patient companion, friend and neighbor. Her smile brought sunshine wherever she went and she will be greatly missed by her friends both in Redwood and Bellmore. She leaves behind to mourn her loss, her husband, Frank L. Hyle; a sister, Mrs. Amelia Calgrove of Redwood; a brother-in-law, John P. Lawton of Syracuse; Jerome Bishop of Windotte, Mich., a first cousin and a host of other relatives and friends.

Mrs. Colin W. E. Rowing an intimate friend of Mrs. Hyle in Bellmore was on her way to Rome to giver her daily care and comfort but arrive only after Mrs. Hyle had passed away. Mr. Hyle was not even able to reach Rome before her death. The Bellmore public schools of which Mr. Hyle is supervising principal was closed from the time word was received of Mrs. Hyleís death until Monday morning. Letters of sympathy were received from the teachers and scholars.

The following were the out of town relatives at the funeral: Mr. and Mrs. George H. Hyle, Mr. and Mrs. Albert H. Hyle, Mr. and Mrs. George Leitermann and John P. Lawton all of Syracuse, William Hyle of Manlius, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hyle and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Wells, Mr. and Mrs. F. J. (name not visible), and Miss Maud Welles (city not visible, although it ended in town.).

Typistís Note; September 14, 1927 was written on the obit.


(Special To The Times)

Clayton, July 28. -- Frank E. Helmer of Alexandria Bay, and Miss Helen Fay Derby of Hammond were united in marriage at the parsonage of the Methodist Episcopal church at Clayton, on Sunday afternoon, by the pastor of the church, Rev. b. G. Miller. The young couple was unattended, and Mrs. Miller acted as witness. The young people will make their home on the Casselman farm, which was recently purchased by Mr. Helmer, at Alexandria Bay. Mr. Helmer was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Sunday school at the Bay when Mr. Miller was the pastor, some years ago.

Typistís Note: the year, 1926, was written on this short item.


(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, Nov. 3. -- The funeral of Frank L. Petrie, aged 51, who died in a hospital in Binghamton, following an operation for cancer Friday, was held in the Methodist Episcopal church this afternoon, the body having been brought here for burial in the Redwood cemetery. Rev. Ernest Bragg officiated.

Mr. Petrie was born in the town of Theresa. He married May Vrooman, when he was about 23 years old. For a time he resided in Carthage and since then he has lived in different places in the United States. Recently he came from Indiana to Binghamton.

Surviving Mr. Petrie are his wife, Mrs. May Vrooman Petrie, and three sisters, Mrs. Esther West of Redwood, Mrs. Charles Hotaling of Pierrepont Manor, and Mrs. M. J. Amtonuccia (sic) of Santa Cruz, California.

Typistís Note: The year, 1925, was written on this obit.


LA PATRA -- PETRIE -- In Binghamton, Jan. 4, 1926, by Rev. Leonard C. Murdock, George La Patra of Black River and Mrs. May Petrie of Binghamton.

Typistís Note: 1926 was written on this notice.


(Special to The Times.)

Theresa, March 10. Leander P. Hibbard, 74, died this morning at his home in this village.

Mr. Hibbard was born at Chauftys Corners Jan. 30, 1853. He was the son of William LeRoy Hibbard, a noted school teacher of this section before the Civil war, and Hannah Hoover Hibbard. He lived for 72 years at the old homestead at Goose Bay. He moved to Theresa two years ago and had been in good health until within two weeks.

He married Mary E. Jones of Shepherdís Corners in 1880. One daughter, Maude M. Hibbard, who survives him, was born to him by his first wife, who died in 1886. In 1894 he married Clara Closs, who also survives.

Mr. Hibbard was a member and past master of Kirkland grange at Redwood. He took the seventh degree in grange work at Rochester.

The funeral services will be held from his late home Saturday at 2 p.m. The Rev. E. O. McFarland of the Presbyterian church will officiate. Burial will be made in Oakwood cemetery.

The family has requested that friends do not send flowers.

Typistís Note: The year, 1927, was written on this obit.


Alexandria Bay, Jan. 17. -- Napoleon Hodge died at his home near Alexandria Bay, on Saturday at 11:35 p.m., aged 69 years. He was born July 7, 1857, On Grenadier Island, a son of Thomas and Hannah Hodge, and had resided in this place since he was five years of age. On Oct. 18, 1876, he married Sarah Gilmore and six children were born to them, they being, Harrison and Bert Hodge and Mrs. Mildred Kring, who resided with him, George Hodge of Plainville, Conn., and Mrs. O. H. Hill of this place. There also survives one sister, Mrs. Jane Ball of Watertown and a brother, Wilburn Hodge of Limerick.

The funeral will be held at his home on Tuesday afternoon at 2 and interment will be made in Barnes Settlement cemetery.

Typistís Note: The year, 1927, was written at the top of this obit.


Had Resided in House Where She Died For Past 56 Years--Ill Only Three Days.

(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, March 10. -- Mrs. Emogene S. Cosgrove, 85, widow of George H. Cosgrove, 85, widow of George H. Cosgrove and mother of Attorney Delos M. Cosgrove of Watertown, died at her home here this morning at 7:30 after an illness of three days. She caught cold a few days ago and it developed into bronchial pneumonia.

Mrs. Cosgrove was one of the oldest and best known residents of this village, being a member of one of the pioneer families here. She was born Oct. 28, 1841, on the old Marshall homestead, just outside of the village, daughter of Romeo and Harriet Van Antwerp Marshall.

All of her life was passed in this vicinity and 56 years ago she was united in marriage to George H. Cosgrove. Sixteen years after their marriage he died. For the past 56 years she had resided in the home where they started housekeeping, her daughter, Mrs. Igene McLear, caring for her in her later years.

She is survived by one son, Delos M. Cosgrove of Watertown; one daughter, Mrs. Igene McLear of this village; three grandchildren, Delos M. Cosgrove, jr., of Watertown, Doris McLear of this village and Delos McLear of White Plains.

Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 from the home here, Rev. Harry Westbrook Reed, D. D., pastor of the All Souls Universalist church of Watertown, officiating. Burial will be made in the Redwood cemetery.

The Marshall family has always been prominent here. Romeo Marshall, father of Mrs. Cosgrove, was a well known farmer and he owned the Marshall homestead where Mrs. Cosgrove was born.

Many nephews and nieces survive Mrs. Cosgrove. Including D. D. T. Marshall of this place and Welby Marshall of Adams Center, Marshall Miller of Aurora, Ill., and Miss Phila Marshall of the same place are nephew and niece and Clarence Marshall of California is another nephew.


COSGROVE--At Redwood, March 10, 1927, Mrs. Emogene S. Cosgrove, aged 85 years, widow of George H. Cosgrove.

Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 from the home in Redwood, Rev. Harry Westbrook Reed, D. D. of Watertown, officiating.

Burial will be made at Redwood.



(Special to The Times.)

Lafargeville, Jan 22.-- Mrs. Berneita (sic) Dorr Timmerman, 24, died at the home of her parents near this village at 7:15 this morning. Mrs. Timmerman had suffered a long illness and death resulted from complications. She spent some time in Watertown and Ogdensburg hospitals in November of last years and a short time ago she was removed to her parentsí home near Lafargeville where she passed away.

Mrs Berneita (sic) Dorr Timmerman was born May 18, 1903, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dorr of Orleans. She was married Sept 10, 1924, to Clifton Timmerman of Orleans Corners where she resided for a time, later moving to Turin, NY. As a result of her illness she was removed to her parentsí home where she resided until the time of her death. Mrs. Timmerman was an active member of the Orleans Lutheran church and Sunday school.

She is survived by her husband, Clifton Timmerman; her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dorr, of Orleans, two sisters, Miss Vivian Dorr, of Orleans, and Mrs. Emmett Schell, of Lafargeville, and two brothers, Harold and Henry, both of Orleans.

Funeral services will be held from the home of her parents Tuesday, Jan 25, at 1 pm Rev. H. B. Krusa of the Redwood Lutheran church will officiate and interment will be made in the Lafargeville cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1927 appeared in pen at the top of this obit.



Both in Good Health Despite Years---She is 89 and He is 91.


Lafargeville, Feb. 9. -- Mr. and Mrs. George Sourwine of this village quietly observed their 66th wedding anniversary at their here today. There was no special celebration of the event but friends and neighbors called during the day to offer congratulations.

They are in good health despite their many years. Mrs. Sourwine is now 89 and Mr. Sourwine recently celebrated his 91st birthday.

George Sourwine and Miss Mary Balts were married on Feb. 9, 1861 on what was then known as the Andrew John Balts farm. They resided for more than 50 years on a farm near here and a few years ago went to reside with their son, Charles Sourwine, and his wife.

Four children were born to them: Charles Sourwine with whom they make their home; Mrs. Thomas Brady of Watertown, Mrs. R. G. Kesler of Chicago and Mrs. Henry Sayers of Deluth, Minn. They also have several grandchildren and great grandchildren.

They are both members of the Evangelical church here.

Typistís Note: Separate photos of Mrs. George Sourwine and George Sourwine appeared with the article. The year, 1927, appeared at the top of the write-up.


Home of Brideís Parents Beautifully Decorated For the Occasion---Bride Has Been Teacher at Depauville.

Adams Center, March 15. -- A very pretty wedding took place at noon today, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Greene in Adams Center, when their eldest daughter, Miss Alma Greene was united in marriage to Homer Hamilton, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hamilton of Lafargeville.

The corner of the parlor in which the wedding party stood was banked with ferns. Miss Cora Wiley of Cape Vincent sang, I Love You Truly; then Miss Genevieve Greene, a sister of the bride, played the wedding march as Rev. A. B. Aldrich, the groom and his brother Floyd Hamilton, who acted as best man, entered the parlor and were met by the ring bearers, Eleanor and Harriette Greene, cousins of the bride carrying the rings in Easter lilies, by the bridesmaid, Miss Achsah Greene, a sister of the bride, and by the bride on the arm of her father, Frank A. Greene, who gave her away. The double ring service was used.

The bride wore a Copenhagen-blue canton crepe beaded gown with grey hose and slippers and carried a bouquet of bridesí roses and carnations.

Her bridesmaid, Miss Achsah Greene, wore cocoa-brown satin-faced Canton crepe and carried Ophelia roses and carnations. Miss Genevieve Greene wore black velvet and the little ring-bearers wore green organdie.

Following the ceremony a luncheon was served by the caterers, Mrs. F. A. Withington, assisted by Misses Frances Kellogg, Flavia Edwards, Muriel Edmonds, Gratia Ball, Irene Hart and Elizabeth Squire as waitresses. About 40 guest were present.

The brideís gifts to her waitresses were lingerie clasps and to her bridesmaid, a silver spoon. The groomís gift to his best man was a ring.

The bride is a graduate of the teachersí training class of 1919 of the Adams High school and for about four years has been engaged in teaching. For two years she has been at Depauville where she will complete this school year. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Greene, celebrated their 24th wedding anniversary yesterday.

After April 1, Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton will be at home to their friends on a farm near Depauville.



(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, Feb. 10. -- Albert L. Bickelhaupt of Theresa and Miss Lena B. Beebee, 1018 Bronson street, Watertown, were married this morning at 10 by Rev. H. B. Krusa of the Lutheran church.

Mr. Bickelhaupt is a garage man. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ray S. Beebee of Watertown.

Mr. and Mrs. Bickelhaupt will make their home in Theresa.

Typistís Note: 1926 was penned in at the top of this item.



Ella Cosgrove and Myron Weaver, both formerly of Redwood, were married Tuesday afternoon at 4 in the parish house of St. Maryís cathedral in Syracuse by Rev. Father McCarthy. The couple was unattended.

Mrs. Weaver has for several seasons conducted a lunch room in Redwood during the summer months. During the winter she is employed at Syracuse university. Mr. Weaver has been employed as machinist in Saginaw, Mich. The couple will make their home in Syracuse.

Typistís Note: Written on this article was ďFeb 15, 1927.Ē



Watertown Daily Times - Massena Bureau

Massena, May 15. -- Nevelle B. Young, 21, Massena, a former resident of Morristown, and Miss Florence Helen Ducolon, 18, of Massena, and also formerly of Morristown, were married this morning at 7:30 a.m. by Rev. W. B. Young, the bridegroomís father, at Morristown.

Russell Dakes of Morristown, a cousin of the bridegroom, was best man with Miss Marjorie Dunn of Morristown as bridesmaid.

Following the ceremony a wedding breakfast was served to twelve at the brideís home in Morristown. Soon after the ceremony they left on a wedding trip to Syracuse and central New York state.

During the past four years Mr. Young has been employed in Massena by Stone & Co., as a clerk in that store. He was born in Morristown, a son of Rev. and Mrs. W. B. Young. Rev. Young for a time was pastor of the Massena Center and Racket River Methodist churches, and is now pastor of the Depeyster Methodist Episcopal church. The bridegroom received his education in the Morristown and Brier Hill High schools.

His bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Ducolon of Morristown. She was born in Morristown and a graduate of the Morristown High school and of the bookkeeping course in the Watertown school of commerce. For the last six months she has been employed as secretary at the C. S. Foster Plumbing company. They will make their home in Massena.



Mrs. Carrie L. Hotis, 65, widow of John Hotis of Lafargeville and a resident of this city for the past two years, died at the Mercy hospital early Monday morning. Her home in this city was at 169 Bishop street.

Mrs. Hotis had not been in good health for some time but her condition had not been considered serious until recently. She was taken to the Mercy hospital on June 26, where she underwent an operation within a short time.

She was born in Depauville on March 19, 1862, the daughter of John and Mrs. Betsy M. Patchen Dorr. She spent her early life there and at Omar. For a number of years she made her home at Lafargeville where her husband, John Hotis, died in August, nine years ago. John Hotis was a retired farmer.

After her husbandís death, she and her son, John, moved to Gouverneur where they made their home for seven years, until coming to this city about two years ago.

Mrs. Hotis was a life long member of the Methodist church and was very active in church work, when she was a member of the Methodist churches of Omar, Lafargeville and Gouverneur. She was a member of the Rebecca lodge and the Womenís Relief Corps of Gouverneur.

She is survived by one son, John Hotis, of this city, and one sister, Mrs. C. C. Donald, of Gouverneur.

The funeral services will be held from the residence, at 169 Bishop street on Wednesday afternoon at 2. The remains will be taken to Omar by automobile hearse, where interment will be made in the family plot.

Typistís Note: 1927 was written at the top of this obit.



Redwood, May 27. The funeral of Miss Lillie Newman, 71, of this village, who died following a monthís illness at an early hour Thursday morning at the home of her sister, Mrs. Alton Hoffman of Redwood, will be held Saturday at 2 from the home, Rev. Mr. Bragg officiating. Interment will be made in the Redwood cemetery.

Miss Newman was born in Redwood, Jan. 19, 1856, daughter of A. D. and Sally Newman. She had made her home with her sister and brother-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Alton Hoffman of Redwood, for the past 33 years. Besides her sister, there also survives a brother, Clarence Newman of Redwood.

Typistís Note: 1927 was written atop this obit.



Mrs. Elizabeth Getman, 52, wife of William Getman, Redwood, died at the Mercy hospital Thursday night from complication of diseases.

Mrs. Getman had been in poor health for several months and was admitted to the Mercy hospital April 19, 1927, to have an abscess in her ear treated. Erysipelas developed and Thursday morning Mrs. Getman contracted pneumonia, passing away the same night at about 10.

She was born in Hessadamsacht, Germany, June 14, 1874, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Philip Swappacher. She came to this country with her parents 38 years ago and three years later married to William Getman at Lafargeville. Rev. Mr. Hoffman performing the ceremony. Mr. Getman is a hay and grain dealer of Redwood. Mrs. Getman spent part of her life in this country on a farm near Redwood and the rest of the time in the village.

Besides her husband, she is survived by three sons, Ernest, Clarence and Leslie Getman, all of Redwood; two brothers, Karl of Michigan and Philip Swappacher of Germany; two sisters, Mrs. Laura Ahles of Redwood and Mrs. Margaret Cromwell who resides in the west; three step-brothers, and three step-sisters, all of whom reside in Rochester.

The funeral services will be held from the family home in Redwood Sunday afternoon at 1:30 and from the Lutheran church at 2, Rev. H. B. Krusa officiating. Burial will be made at Redwood.



Individual photos of Mrs. A. H. Wood and A. H. Wood appeared before the following notice:

Redwood, Jan. 5. -- Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Wood of this village celebrated their 58th wedding anniversary Jan. 1. Both Mr. and Mrs. Wood are in fairly good health.



Term Expires Feb. 16 and Will Then Go Away For Long Rest on Advice of His Physician

(Special To The Times)

Washington, D. C., Jan. 20. -- The Postoffice department has requested the civil service commission to hold an examination of applicants for the position of postmaster at Alexandria Bay, Jefferson county, N. Y., to take the place of Postmaster Welby H. Marshall (photo was included above), whose regular four-year term will expire on Feb. 16.

The commission, it is expected, will announce an examination for postmaster about the middle of next month.

The department has decided to secure a new list of eligible candidates for the Alexandria Bay postmastership in view of the fact that postal inspectors have reported to the department that the incumbent postmaster, Mr. Marshall, is in poor health. His physician has advised him to go away for a rest as soon as his term expires.

The Alexandria Bay office pays a salary of $2,600 a year.

Typistís Note: The year, 1926, was written at the beginning of this obit.



Depauville, Jan. 17. -- The death of Mrs. Elizabeth Dintelman, aged 68 years, occurred at the late home on Sunday afternoon at 4 following an illness of ten days with grip and heart trouble. She was seated in a chair talking with relatives and neighbors when stricken Sunday afternoon. She died before medical help arrived.

She was born in Germany and came to this country with her parents when nine years of age. She had always resided in the town of Clayton. Forty-seven years ago she married George Dintelman. Two sons were born to the union, one dying in infancy while the other, Edward, survives. She is also survived by one brother, Rev. George Speath, St. Paul, Minn., and one sister, Mrs. Kate Zimmer, Watertown.

Mrs. Dintelman was a member of the Depauville Methodist church, Depauville grange, No. 59, and of the Valley View Rebekah lodge, No. 34.

Funeral services will be held from the late home Wednesday afternoon at 2. Rev. F. H. Brown, officiating. Interment will be made in the Depauville cemetery.

Typistís Note: The year, 1927 was written at the top of this obit.


Native of Alexandria Bay Had Resided in This Section His Entire Life
Was Employed By Air Brake Co. 18 Years.

Jason C. Dillin, 85, Civil war veteran, died Saturday afternoon at his home, 202 North Orchard street, after an illness of only two days. His death was the result of heart disease.

Mr. Dillin had lived in Watertown for the past 28 years, 18 of which he was employed at the plant of the New York Air Brake company. Ten years ago he retired and since that time had been living with his son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. J. Earl Dillin, 202 North Orchard street.

He was born in Alexandria Bay, Aug. 7, 1842, a son of Henry and Elizabeth Souts Dillin. Mr. Dillin spent his boyhood there and in Redwood. When the Civil war broke out Mr. Dillin enlisted. In 1862, in Company F, Tenth Heavy New York artillery, and served the duration of the war.

The year after the close of the war he married Miss Delia Smith, daughter of the late John and Salura Steele Smith, who operated a large farm near Lafargeville. The ceremony was performed at the home of his parents in Redwood by Elder Jesse Ager, pastor of the Baptist church in that village. For about 35 years before coming to this city Mr. and Mrs. Dillin operated a farm at Redwood.

The couple celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary quietly at their home last Jan. 16.

Mr. Dillin was for 71 years a member of the Baptist church.

Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Delia Smith Dillin; four sons, George H., J. Earl and Wendell Dillin of this city and Frank Dillin of Hammond; a daughter, Mrs. R. H. Cooper of Calcium; eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

The funeral was held privately this afternoon at 1:30 from the home, 202 North Orchard street, Rev. Dr. Guy L. Brown of the First Baptist church officiating. Interment will be at North Watertown cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1927 was pencilled in.



Plessis, Oct. 5. -- The funeral of the late Hazel Mildred Bates Smith, 27, of Evans Mills, who died Sunday morning, Oct. 2, in Mercy hospital, Watertown, was very largely attended at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Wallace Bates, near Plessis, at 2, Tuesday afternoon, many people from Evans Mills, Omar, Redwood and other places being present.

The bearers were her four brothers, Raymond, Roland, Glenn and Guy Bates, and two uncles, Bruce and Edward Bates. The flowers were many and included a beautiful pillow from her brothers.

Hazel Smith was the adopted daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wallace Bates, coming to them when a baby of less than six months. She attended Alexandria Bay and Redwood High schools and was married Sept. 12, 1917 to Frank Smith, then of Alexandria.

Five children have been born to the couple all of whom survive. Wallace 9, Mildred 7, Audrey 5, Wava 3 and Wayne 21 months old.

Typistís Note; 1927 was pencilled at the top of this obit.



Plessis, July 12. -- Ronald D. Hunter and Miss Nina K. Hotis, two of the most popular young people of Plessis and vicinity, were united in marriage Thursday evening, July 8, by Rev. Ernest Bragg, at the Methodist parsonage, Redwood.

The couple was attended by Miss Muriel Hotis, a sister of the bride, and George Evans of Redwood. Mrs. Hunter is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hotis, and a graduate of Redwood Training class, and expects to teach the Hart school the coming year. Mr. Hunter is a well known young farmer, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Hunter.

Typistís Note: The year, 1926, was written on this obit.




Malone, July 9. -- The Methodist parsonage in Fort Covington street was the scene of a pretty wedding ceremony when Miss Gladys Dupree became the bride of Roswell Stacey of Redwood. Rev. Melville Terwilliger officiated.

Miss Ruth Depree, a sister of the bride, was bridesmaid and Clarence Anderson was the best man. The brideís gown was of tan Canton crepe and she wore a large picture hat. Her maid was becomingly gowned in white crepe de chine with hat of a rose coloring.

The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Cyril Depree of Franklin street and was graduated from Franklin Academy, after which she attended St. Lawrence university and was graduated with the 1922 class. Since that time she has been preceptress at Redwood High school in which capacity she will continue.

Mr. Stacey graduated from Cornell and was retained as an instructor at the university. During the war he served in the navy and made several trips overseas. He is postmaster at Redwood.

The luncheon after the wedding was at the home of the brideís parents and was attended by only relatives and a few friends. The couple left by motor for an extended trip after which they will return to Redwood where they will make their home.

Typistís Note: According to an obit (1926) for Mr. Stacey on this same page, this event took place in 1923. One will note the difference in spelling of the name, Stacey.



(Special To The Times.)

Redwood, Aug. 6. -- Mrs. Theresa Caroline Johnson Gates, 22, of this village, died at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Johnson who reside on a farm near here, last night at 6:45, following an illness of two years. Death was due to chronic pleurisy, with which Mrs. Gates was afflicted some years ago and from which she never entirely recovered.

Mrs. Gates was born near Redwood in the town of Theresa, December 16, 1903, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Johnson. She was educated in the local schools and was married about two years ago to Richard Ivan Gates, who is at present, postmaster of Redwood.

In addition to her husband, Richard Ivan Gates and parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Johnson, Mrs. Gates is survived by one son, Richard Joseph 15 months; two sisters, Marion and Sadie, and one brother, Walter.

She was a member of the Rebekahs, 631, Redwood, and of the local grange.

The funeral will be held at the home of her parents Sunday afternoon at 1, Rev. Ernest Bragg of the First Methodist Episcopal church of Redwood, officiating. Burial will be at Redwood.

Typistís Note: 1926 was written at the top of this obit.



(Special To The Times.)

Redwood, April 12. -- Mrs. Mary E. Hartman, 78, widow of Harry Hartman, died Sunday at her home in this village after an illness of about two weeks. She was suffering from a complication of diseases.

Mrs. Hartman was born March 22, 1848, on the farm near this village now known as the Leonard Flath farm. She was married in 1868 and Mr. Hartman died in 1877. Mrs. Hartman had resided in this village for the past 35 years and was a member of St. Paulís Lutheran church.

Surviving are five children, George of Morristown, Henry, Edwin and Fred of Redwood and Mrs. Maggie A. Flath of Redwood; a brother, Philip Eckert; two sisters, Mrs. Catherine Hull of Morristown and Mrs. Susan Betis of Alexandria Bay.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon from the house at 1:30 and at the St. Paulís Lutheran church at 2, Rev. H. B. Krusa officiating. Burial will be made in the Rural cemetery.

Typistís Note: The date of 11 April 1926 was written under this obit.



Roswell R. Stacy, 32, World War Veteran Succumbs to Intestinal Trouble

(Special to The Standard.)

REDWOOD, Jan. 22. --- Roswell Richard Stacy, 32, postmaster of this village for the past four years, passed away this morning at the Hepburn hospital about 6:30 oíclock following an illness of about one month.

He was taken ill the first of January with intestinal trouble and on January 14 he underwent a serious operation at the Hepburn hospital for appendicitis. His condition was considered critical at the time, but he recovered until last evening, when he had a sinking spell, remaining unconscious until this morning when he passed away.

He was born in Redwood, June 28, 1893, a son of John and Elizabeth Nerckel of Redwood. He received his preliminary education in the Redwood schools. He took a course in the Cornell School of Agriculture, being graduated with honors as a butter maker. He taught for several years in the Cornell school. In 1916 he accepted a position as butter maker with a creamery in Richmond, Vt., where he remained until the United States entered the World War.

He was the first man to enlist from Richmond, Vt. He entered the navy in 1917 and served as a pharmacist mate on the steamer Leviathan for 18 months. He was honorably discharged in 1920.

After he was discharged from the navy, he took a course in the Albany Business college and in 1922 he was appointed postmaster of this village. He was just recently reappointed.

On July 5, 1923 he married Miss Gladys Dupre of Malone who was teaching in the local High school at the time she was married. Mrs. Stacy has been ill since the first of December and has been at the home of her parents in Malone. She was with her parents at the time of the death of her husband.

He was a member of the St. Paulís Lutheran church and of the Alexandria Lodge, No. 297, F. & A. M.

Besides his wife he is survived by an infant son, Roswell Richard Stacy, jr., who was born last fall; his father, John Stacy, of Redwood; two brothers, John Stacy of Millbrook; one sister, Mrs. Floyd Rogers, of Hammond.

The funeral arrangements are incomplete.

Typistís Note: The year, 1926, was written at the top of this obit. Please observe the wedding write-up for Mr. Stacy (above) in which his name was spelled as Stacey.



(Special To The Times)

Theresa, Oct. 25. -- Mrs. Elizabeth Giltz Rodemich, 63, formerly of this village died at her home in Ogdensburg Sunday night after an illness of nearly a year.

She was born in the town of Alexandria, Aug. 21, 1863, daughter of Christopher and Susan Giltz. Practically all her life was passed in this village. March 3, 1885 she married Jacob Rodemich, who died May 3, 1917. She was a member of the Lutheran church of Redwood. About a year ago she moved to Ogdensburg.

Surviving her are two daughters, Mrs. Raymond Weaver of Lafargeville and Miss Cecil Rodemich of Ogdensburg; two brothers, George Giltz of Watertown, and Herbert of Theresa, and a sister, Mrs. Eva Schrodt of Watertown.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2 at the home of Herbert Giltz in this village, Rev. H. B. Krusa of the Redwood church officiating. Burial will be made in Oakwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1926 was written at the top of Mrs. Rodemichís obit.



REDWOOD, Sept. 5. -- St. Peterís Episcopal Church, Redwood, was the scene of a very pretty wedding when Miss Marian A. Holmes, oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Holmes, became the bride of Thomas M. Barns of East Hampton, L. I., Thursday evening, at 8:30.

The ceremony was performed by Rev. L. A. Davison, a former rector of St. Paulís Church. The church was artistically decorated with evergreen and white asters and the same scheme of decoration was carried out at the home of the bride, where the reception was held.

The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a gown of white satin and georgette crepe embroidered with crystal beads. Orange blossom sprays were used to ornament the folds of satin at the sides of the skirt, and a tulle veil, falling to the end of a long court train, was held in place by a bandeau of orange blossoms. The brideís bouquet was of white roses and lavendar (sic) orchids, with a shower of lilies of the valley.

The bridesmaids, the Misses Frances and De Etta Holmes and Sara Yost, cousins of the bride, and Miss Florence Kunkel of Newark, N. J., were gowned in white, with picture hats of white chiffon and georgette and carried arm bouquets of purple, yellow, pink and peach colored gladioli tied with tulle to match.

Charles Wingerath of Jamaica, L. I., acted as best man. The ushers were Otis Barns of Easthampton, L. I., brother of the groom, and Messrs. William Dromey, Ray Jewett and Wilbur Hansen, of Redwood.

Mrs. Norman Barns, aunt of the bridegroom, played the wedding march.

The Misses Clara Quincer, Geneva Overacker, Natalie and Marguerite York, Clara Rebscher, May, Helen and Mary Dollinger, Grace Parker and Marion Suits assisted at the reception which was at the home of the bride, and attended by almost 100 guests. Miss Dorothy Holmes, the brideís younger sister, presented the guests with boxes of wedding cake, which she carried in a basket decorated with blue tulle.

The out of town guests were: Mr. and Mrs. George Appleton, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Holmes of Albany, Mr. and Mrs. James Cushine of Watertown, Mr. and Mrs. T. R. Barns, Otto Simons, Richard Edwards, Otis Barns of East Hampton, Charles Wingerath of Jamaica, L. I.



The engagement of Miss Dorothy Holmes of Redwood to Charles Curtis of Rochester, formerly of Redwood, was announced at a dinner bridge Monday evening at the Japanese Tea Room.

Miss Holmes, a daughter of Mr. W. W. Holmes of Redwood, has been a home economics instructor at the Watertown High school for the past three years. She is a graduate of William Smith college of Geneva, class of Ď25.

At Odenbachís of Rochester, Mr. Curtis is a leader of the orchestra which played at Fisherís Landing last season and in England a year ago. He is a graduate of the Redwood schools and attended Delbertís private business school at Philadelphia, N. Y. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Curtis of Redwood.

Typistís Note: November 22, 1929, was written in pen at the top of the write-up.



Redwood, Sept. 12. -- Word was received here Monday of the marriage of Julius Chase of Providence, R. I., and Mrs. Florence Holmes of Redwood at Providence, R. I., on Saturday, Sept. 9.

Mrs. Chase was the widow of the late Gilbert M. Holmes, prominent merchant here. She has one daughter, Frances Holmes Vincent, who resides in Rochester.

Typistís Note: 1933 was penned in at the top of this item.



Note: The wedding write-up of another bride whose last name was Holmes was found alongside the Barns-Holmes write-up. The groomís last name was Brush. The top portion of the write up is missing. The following four paragraphs are all that is evident on the copy:

Mrs. Howard Ketcham of Jamaica was matron of honor, little Mary Holmes of Syracuse, flower girl, and the bridesmaids were the Misses Frances Holmes, Gladys Holmes and Clara Quincer of Redwood. Howard Ketcham was best man and the ushers included Messers. Horace Cory of Newark, N. J., Walter Schwanhausser of Jersey City and Dr. R. T. Ahles of Bay Shore. The bride was given away by her brother, A. Raymond Holmes of Syracuse.

The bride, who is the daughter of the late Fred T. and Mary C. Holmes, formerly of Redwood, is a graduate of Syracuse university and for the past three years has been a supervisor of music in the Yonkers public schools.

Mr. Brush is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick M. Brush of Westfield, N. J. He is a graduate of Rutgers college and holds the position of manager of the Bound Brook Water Co., of Bound Brook, N. J.

Mr. and Mrs. Brush will be at home after March 1, at 419 Summit avenue, Westfield.



Theresa, June 7. -- The marriage of Miss Emeline A. Smith of this town to Milton Slate, also of this town, took place Saturday evening at the Presbyterian parsonage, the ceremony being performed by Rev. E. O. McFarland, pastor of the church.

The bride is the daughter of Peter and Mary Smith and the bridegroom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Slate, who own and operate a farm at Hyde Lake. The young people expect to make their home in this town.


A photo of Mrs. Robert T. Vincent. preceded the short paragraph below:

Miss Frances M. Holmes of Redwood and Robert T. Vincent, Syracuse, formerly of this city, were married at noon Saturday at the parsonage of the Holy Family church by Rev. Father George Donnelly.



Oven Thrown Ten Feet From Stove
All Personal Property Destroyed and Family Parrot Perishes in Flames.

(Special To The Times.)

Redwood, June 25. Three girls, ranging in age from 9 to 19, narrowly escaped being burned in a $3,000 fire which completely destroyed the farm residence of Ross Zoller, one-half mile from here on the Theresa state road near Crystal Lake, late Thursday afternoon.

The three girls, Gladys Zoller, 19, a student in Syracuse university; Ruth Bragg, 9, and Lilly Wills, 13, were alone in the house when the fire broke out. Miss Zoller had just lighted the oil stove in the kitchen when she found that it was nearly empty. She was just filling it when the stove blew up with a force that threw the oven ten feet from the stove.

Miss Zoller escaped the rush of flames and ran to the barn where Lawrence Manning, the hired man was working. In the meantime the two younger girls had escaped from the front of the house.

Before the Zoller girl and the hired man could return the house was a mass of flames and fire was coming from the windows and doors. The little Bragg girl had left her best coat and hat in the building but was unable to save it. It was even impossible for them to rescue the family parrot which was prized highly.

The Redwood fire department was summoned and responded promptly, but was only able to save the other farm building.

Mr. and Mrs. Zoller with Rev. and Mrs. Ernest Bragg had left the house at about 5:05 for Edwards and although the fire broke out about five minutes later they did not learn of it until they reached their destination. Mr. and Mrs. Zoller hurried home immediately.

The building, which with its contents, was valued at about $3,000, was insured for approximately $1,000. In the fire were lost supplies for a roadside stand which they operated and a large quantity of bedding for their camp, which had been brought home for laundering.

Five years ago on Memorial day, the home caught fire but was saved by prompt action of Boy Scouts, who were decorating graves in a nearby cemetery.

Typistís Note: The year, 1926, was written atop this article.


Lawrence Dollinger and Edward Reed, Redwood, Fatally Hurt at Crossing

Train Crew and Witnesses Tell Sheriffís Office Customary Signals Given as Train Approached Crossing
Both Boys Well Known in Redwood.

Lawrence Dollinger, 19, and Edward Reed, 19, both of Redwood, were fatally injured Sunday at noon, when the light speedster in which they were riding was hit broadside by a New York Central east bound milk train in the village of Redwood.

The accident occurred in the center of the village near the railroad station. Both young men were taken aboard a passenger train and rushed to the Hepburn hospital in Ogdensburg. The Dollinger boy died en route to the hospital aboard the train and the Reed boy died 30 minutes after he reached the hospital.

Dollingerís juglar (sic) vein was severed by glass from the windshield and Reed suffered a fractured skull, contusions of the chest and a compound fracture of the right thigh. They were accompanied on the trip to Ogdensburg by Dr. E. A. Eddy of Redwood.

The two young men had decided to travel to Alexandria Bay to spend Sunday afternoon. When they reached the crossing, apparently unaware of the danger, the huge locomotive loomed up side of them. Dollinger, who was driving the car, turned the machine to the right and both young men were seen to rise to their feet.

The locomotive hit the small car broadside, throwing the two young men out of the car. It is believed that one of the young men landed on a cinder walk. Both were unconscious when they were reached by witnesses. They were immediately put aboard the passenger train for Ogdensburg.

The train was in charge of Conductor M. C. Merrill and Engineer Clinton Mack.

As the two young men passed through the village en route to Alexandria Bay, one of the young men waved his hand to a garage man who conducts a garage near the crossing. The garage man stated that he heard the locomotive whistle, as did many other witnesses, residents of the village.

The track is visible 100 feet either side of the crossing. A witness to the tragedy declared that both of the young men had their heads turned towards the station and did not see the milk train until they were on the tracks.

The small Ford speedster which the young men were driving, was a complete wreck and was tossed to a ditch beside the track by the locomotive. The train crew declare that the customary signals were given at the crossing. The train proceeded down the track 240 feet before it was brought to a stop.

Neither the speedster or the locomotive was traveling at a great rate of speed. Witnesses estimate that the car was traveling 20 or 25 miles per hour and that the train was traveling at about the same rate of speed.

The tragedy was investigated by Undersheriff Bromley C. Wilde and District Attorney E. Robert Wilsox (sic).

Lawrence Dollinger is the son of Mrs. Florence Dollinger and Edward Reed is the son of Mr. and Mrs. George L. Reed. Both of the young men were well known in the village of Redwood.

Typistís Note: The year, 1927, was written at the top of this news article.



(Special to The Times.)

Lafargeville, Jan. 10. -- George Sourwine of this village quietly observed his 91st birthday at his home in this village Saturday. Mr. Sourwine (a photo of Mr. Sourwine was inserted within the text) is one of the oldest residents of this section.

He was born in New York city but has passed most of his life in this vicinity. On Feb. 9, 1861, he married Miss Mary Balts, who resided near Stone Mills. Last yer they observed their 65th wedding anniversary. They resided on a farm outside this village for more than 50 years before moving into their present home.

Typistís Note: 1927 was penned in at the top of this article.



(Special to The Times.)

Alexandria Bay, Jan. 26. -- Miss Margaret Makepeace, daughter of Mrs. Ethel Makepeace of Alexandria Bay, became the bride of Clinton Jones at a pretty wedding ceremony at the Redwood Baptist church Tuesday night. Mr. and Mrs. Ishmael Burns of Alexandria Bay attended the young couple.

Mrs. Jones is a former member of the Alexandria Bay high school senior class and is well known here. Mr. Jones taught botany and French in the local high school until two years ago when he resigned to enter the employ of the Alexandria Bay Transportation company, being assigned to the local office. He is a native of Redwood.

The bride wore a suit of light tan crepe de chine with hat and coat to match.

Immediately following the ceremony the bridal couple left for New York city where they will take the steamer Mongolia Thursday for Havana and the Panama canal. From the canal they will cruise up the west coast to California and expect to return to Alexandria Bay March 10.

The following friends accompanied them to the station to see them off: C. Tidd, Mr. and Mrs. Ishmael Burns, Mr. and Mrs. Edmund Burns, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Burtch, Mrs. Ethel Makepeace.

Typistís Note: Jan. 25, 1927 was penned in at the top of this write-up.



Redwood, April 24. -- Mrs. Jennie H. Harder, wife of the late Anson Harder, lawyer, died at the home of James Marsaw Monday afternoon.

Mrs. Harder was one of the oldest residents having lived here more than 65 years. Her death was due to the infirmities of old age.

She is survived by one son, Clare Harder, of this town. Funeral arrangements are not yet completed.



Redwood, April 24. -- The body of Cabot S. Reed, who died at his home in Yonkers Thursday, April 19, was brought here for burial in Redwood cemetery Sunday. Accompanying the body were two sons, Joe and Archie; two daughters, Mrs. Amy Hartwell and Mrs. Ada Landers, all of Yonkers, N. Y.

Mr. Reed was born in Clayton and lived ini Redwood many years. He was in the hardware business and had a store where the Herbison grocery store now stands. He also had a store where the R. C. parsonage is now situated. In later years he occupied a store in the Catlin block.

Three months ago his wife, who was Miss Hattie Kimbal, sister of William Kimbal of Redwood, was brought here for burial.

Typistís Note: 1928 was written on this obit.



Redwood, April 25. -- Funeral services for Mrs. Jennie Hutchins Harder, 86, one of Redwoodís oldest residents, were held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James Marsaw this afternoon at 2:30, Rev. Ernest Bragg, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church and Rev. Francis Purvis, pastor of the Baptist church officiating. Burial was in Redwood cemetery.

Surviving are one son, Clarence Hutchins Harder of Redwood; two step-daughters, Mrs. Elizabeth T. Vail of Dallas, Texas, and Mrs. Harry B. Judson of Washington, D. C.

Jennie Hutchins was born Aug. 8, 1842, in Orleans, N. Y., where her parents, Benjamin and Patience Hutchins then resided. A few years later, the family settled in Redwood. The marriage of Anson Harder and Jennie Hutchins took place in Redwood in 1873. Mr. Harder who was a widower with two young daughters, lived in Redwood at the time of the marriage having come here from Newville, N. Y. Twin sons were born, Lawrence Benjamin Hutchins Harder, who died at the age of four and Clarence Hutchins Harder, who survives his mother.

Mrs. Harder continued to live on the old homestead until a few years ago, when failing health obliged her to give up housekeeping. The house which is one of the oldest in Redwood was closed for several years. Recently Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Harder took up their residence and are planning extensive alterations and renovations.

Anson Harder, who was a prominent attorney, died 21 years ago. A special train to Redwood was chartered by county attorneys who attended the funeral.



Redwood, June 19. -- Glen Williams, farmer, of Lafargeville and Alice Spies daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Spies of Redwood, were married at the Lutheran church Wednesday evening, June 26. Mrs. Williams was an active worker in the Sunday school, having served as teacher and Sunday school organist for several years. The couple will make their home at Lafargeville.

Typistís Note: 1928 was penned in at the top of this item.



George H. Brown of Philadelphia Is Bridegroom--Ceremony Performed by Rev. Wilbur Clark of Norwood Methodist Episcopal Church.

Antwerp, Aug. 3. -- Announcement has been made of the marriage of Miss Willabelle Elizabeth Dickson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Dickson of Antwerp, to George H. Brown, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry G. Brown of Philadelphia.

The ceremony was performed Sunday, May 13, at Norwood by the Rev. Wilbur Clark, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church. The couple was attended by Miss Beryl F. Jewett of Redwood and Lawrence Leach of Philadelphia.

Mrs. Brown was graduated from the Potsdam Normal school in the class of 1928. She is an active member of the Order of Eastern Star and the present noble grand of Earnest Rebekah lodge of this place.

The bridegroom is a former member of the Philadelphia High school and is affiliated with Philadelphia lodge, I. O. O. F.

Typistís Note: 1928 was written on this obit.



Enlisted in Cavalry During Civil War and Served Until Close When He Was Discharged a Corporal--Funeral To Be Held Tuesday.

Harrison H. Zoller, 84, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Emily Wright, Sunday morning at 8 in Black River after an illness of several years of heart disease.

Mr. Zoller was born in Little Falls, Dec. 6, 1843, a son of Charles and Eliza Zoller. In 1863 he enlisted in Co. H., 18th New York Volunteer Cavalry, and served until the close of the war. He was promoted to corporal during his service in the army.

Fifty-five years ago he married Elizabeth Scnad of Redwood and for a number of years conducted a farm near Alexandria Bay. He came to Black River 35 years ago and operated the Jefferson hotel in that village for a number of years.

When 22 years of age he joined the Masonic lodge and is one of the oldest Masons in this section of the oldest Masons in this section of the country. He is a member of the H. H. Vebber past, G. A. R. of Black River. His wife died nine years ago.

He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Emily Wright, Black River; two grandsons, Donald and Richard Wright, Black River; one granddaughter, Helen Zoller, Clay; one brother, Reuben Zoller, Clay; one brother, Reuben Zoller, Hammond; four sisters, Mrs. Helen Curren, Redwood; Mrs. Marriette Kabel, Redwood; Mrs. Margaret Dygert, Hammond, and Mrs. Herschel Dowling, Watertown.

Funeral services will be held from the home Tuesday at 2, Rev. Joseph Parkin, pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal church of Black River officiating. Interment will be in Redwood.



Native of Kingston, Ont. Was Member of Many Local Organizations--Will be Buried With Military Honors

Frank Harold Davis, 30, former mail carrier, and prominent member of many local organizations, died at his home, 672 Emerson street about 9 Sunday evening after a long illness. He had been in poor health for the past three years, and had been confined to his home for the past year and a half with tuberculosis which was the cause of health.

Born at Kingston, Ont., July 4, 1897. Mr. Davis spent his early life at Alexandria Bay. He was a son of the late Herman and Margaret R. Audette of Kingston. Coming to this city in 1918 he was appointed as substitute at the local post office July 20 of that year. Shortly afterward he became a regular postal (sic) carried in the business section of the city, which position he held for about seven years.

Mr. Davis was an active member of the Stone Street Presbyterian church, Watertown Lodge, F. & A. M., past district deputy of Jefferson Union, past chief patriarch of Montezuma Encampment, a lieutenant colonel of Canton Ridgely, No. 14, and a member of Trinity Rebekah lodge, No. 74. He served in the navy during the World war, and he was a member of the John Lyman post of the American Legion at Alexandria Bay.

Besides his mother, Margaret R. Audette, he is survived by an uncle and an aunt.

Funeral services wil be held Wednesday afternoon at 2, from the Stone Street Presbyterian church, Rev. Paul F. Boiler officiating, assisted by Rev. J. D. McGregor. The bearers will be postal carriers who were associated with Mr. Davis. They are: Harlow G. Anderson, Claude W. Lucas, Henry C. Teeple, Raymond C. Montrois, Roy F. VanDeusen and Harold R. Coseo. Following the funeral services the body will be taken to Alexandria Bay where a service in charge of the American Legion will be conducted at the grave. He will be buried with full military honors, and a salute will be fired at the grave.

Typistís Note: The date, June 17, 1928, was written at the top of Mr. Davisís obit.



(Special to The times.)

Alexandria Bay, Aug. 1. -- Frank Casselman, 71, died at noon today at the home of his daughter, Mrs. John Van Dreser on Walton street. Death was due to the infirmities of old age.

He was born on a farm in the town of Lyme, Nov. 27, 1856, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Csselman. When a small boy his family moved to Chautauqua county. He spent his boyhood there. He later moved to a farm just outside this village. He spent the greater part of his life near here. For the past two years he had lived at the home of his daughter. He was a member of the First Baptist church of Redwood and the local order of Foresters.

He is survived by his wife, Emma; one daughter, Mrs. John Van Dreser; two grandchildren, Frank Houghton of Syracuse and Miss Emma Van Dreser of this village. Robert James Houghton of Syracuse; one half-brother, Elmer Casselman of New York city; one half-sister, Mrs. Wesley Kellar of Black River.

Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon at 2 from the Van Dreser home here. Burial will be in Walton street cemetery. Rev. O. E. Raymond, pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal church of this village, will officiate, assisted by Rev. Francis Purvis, pastor of the First Baptist church of Redwood.

Typistís Note: The year, 1928, was written at the top of Mr. Casselmanís obit.



His Grandfather Burgomaster of the City of Hebitzhelm
Mr. Haas a Native of Clayton.

(Special to The Times.)

Chaumont, March 5. -- William F. Haas, 85, a highly respected citizen of Chaumont, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Charles Kissel (sic) about 7:45 Thursday morning following an illness of ten days. Death was attributed to old age and complications.

He was born in the town of Clayton March 3, 1840, the son of Henry and Regina Haas, who came to this country from the city of Hebitzhelm, Hesse Darmstadt, Germany.

His other, Regina Wetterhahn, was the daughter of Henry Wetterhahn, who was burgomaster of that city. In 1801 she was married to Henry Haas. After their marriage they came to this country on their wedding trip making the journey in a sailing vessel. The trip took 60 days. They landed at Baltimore and came overland to New York then up the Hudson to Albany, from there by the Erie canal to Oswego, then by water to Clayton which then was known as French Creek. On their way from Baltimore to New York they witnessed the first experiment made by steam cars in this country.

They purchased their first land near Lafargeville of John La Farge. This land was covered with trees which they toiled to clear and afterwards had a fine property. They were the second German family to settle in that section. The father, Henry Haas, was a well educated man and he held a certificate form the German government which permitted him to teach anywhere in Germany. On account of ill health he was obliged to take up farm work.

William Haas was 85 years of age. He was one of eight children. He married Celestine J. Spencer of the town of Clayton, Jan. 3, 1865. They lived in that section until 1886 when he purchased a farm on Point Salubrious. He retired from farm life about 23 years ago. His wife died Dec. 20, 1907, and since that time he had made his home with his two daughters, Mrs. Alice Kissel (sic) and Mrs. Edith Warner, by whom he is survived.

He is also survived by one brother, Charles Haas of Iowa Park, Texas; one sister, Mrs. Nancy Vincent of Minneapolis, Minn.; five grandchildren, Mrs. Inez Cean, who resides on the William Haas farm on Point Salubrious; Mrs. Ruth Adams of Watertown; Mrs. Ruth Adams of Watertown; Lawrence Kissell of Chaumont; Mrs. Dorcas Warner Pennock and Lyle Warne of Chaumont; two great-grandchildren, Niles Cean and Alice Pennock, besides several nieces and nephews.

Mr. Haas had been a member of the Chaumont Presbyterian church for many years. He was also a member of Chaumont grange. Mr. Haas in spite of his advanced age always took a keen interest in all community affairs. Only a short time ago he joined the Chaumont library association with the wish that he might belong as long as he lived.

The funeral services will be held from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Charles Kissell, Saturday, March 7, at 2:30 p.m., Rev. J. High Stewart, officiating. Interment will be made in Cedar Grove cemetery, Chaumont.

Typistís Note: The date, ď17 Oct. 1931,Ē appeared in pen at the top of Mr. Kissellís obit.



Lafargeville, May 10. -- The funeral of the late George Lehr, will be held Wednesday afternoon, from the home in Main street, at 2. Rev. Ivan J. Howland will officiate. Burial will be in Grove cemetery.

Mr. Lehr died Sunday, following an illness of some time.

He was the son of the late Michael and Elizabeth Haas Lehr. Nearly all his life had been spent in this vicinity. Many years ago he identified himself with the Methodist Protestant church of this place, and was one of its most influential members. He was also a member of Lafargeville lodge P. of H., No. 15.

On June 13, 1877, he was married to Elizabeth George, who survives him. One son, Fred, a merchant of Philadelphia, N. Y., also survives as well as one sister. Mrs. William Schnauber of Lafargeville and one brother, John Lehr, of Philadelphia.

Six nephews will act as bearers.

Typistís Note: 1926 was written at the top of this obit.


Mrs. Elizabeth Lehr, Formerly Of Lafargeville, Passes Away

(Special to The Times.)

Lafargeville, April 28.- The funeral of Mrs. Elizabeth Lehr will be held here Sunday afternoon at 2:30 in the Methodist Protestant church, Rev Ivan J Howland will officiate. Mrs. Lehr died early this morning at her home in Philadelphia.

She was born in Watertown July 13, 1853. Her maiden name was George. She spent her early life in the town of Brownville. About 50 years ago she was married to George Lehr. For several years they lived on a farm in the town of Clayton. Later they moved to Lafargeville where they lived for many years.

Mr. Lehr was a member of the Methodist Protestant church in Lafargeville. For several years she was superintendent of the home department of the Sunday school. She was very prominent in Lafargeville grange where she held the office of chaplain for many years. She at one time was lecturer of the Lafargeville grange. She was also very prominent in the WCTU here.

Mr. Lehr died on May 9, 1926, and after his death she went to Philadelphia where she made her home. She is survived by one son, Fred M Lehr of Philadelphia; three brothers, John George and Henry George of Chaumont, and Fred George of Watertown. Also several nieces and nephews.

Typistís Note: 1927 appeared at the top of this obit.



Lafargeville, Oct. 19. -- The funeral of Mrs. Elizabeth Kissel, aged 86, will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Alvin W. Beckwith, of Lafargeville, where she died suddenly Saturday. Rev. F. K. Vogt, pastor of Concordia Evangelical Lutheran church of Watertown, will officiate. Burial will be made at Depauville cemetery.

Mrs. Kissel was born at Habilzheim, Hess Damstadt, Germany, Christmas Day, 1844. When eleven, with her paretns, she crossed the Atlantic in a sailing vessel landing in New York city. The family settled on a farm near Orleans Four Corners.

Mrs. Kissell, in 1862, was married to Peter Kissel of Depauville, who died in July, 1909. She and Mr. Kissel were active in the Evangelical Lutheran church, which was situated not far from their home. There she taught a Sunday school class. Rev. Mr. Vogt, at one time was one of her pupils. Later, after the congregation disbanded, Mrs. Kissel joined the Concordia Evangelical Lutheran church of Watertown. She also was a member of Depauville grange.

The survivors are: two daughters, Mrs. Charles A. Haller and Mrs. Alvin W. Beckwith of Lafargeville, and one son, Charles Kissel of Chaumont; two sisters, Dr. Anna W. Bryant, of Denver, Col., and Mrs. Rena Gillette of Depauville; three granddaughters, Mrs. N. H. Brown of Lafargeville, Mrs. Charles Cean, Watertown, and Mrs. Alton H. Adams of 174 Bishop street, Watertown; four grandsons, Norris B. Haller and F. Kenneth Bretch, of Lafargeville; Lawrence Kissel, a student at Syracuse University and Paul W. Bretch of Cleveland, O.

Twenty great-grandchildren and one great-great grandson, Allen W. Brown, jr., son of Rev. Allen W. Brown, of Philadelphia, also survive.

Typistís Note: ď17 Oct 1931Ē appeared in pen at the top of this obit.



Lafargeville, Feb. 5. -- George Hatline celebrated his 93rd birthday at the home of his granddaughter, Mrs. Ross Hatline, on Feb. 2.

Mr. Hatline was born in Germany. When he was 33 years old he came to America to seek his fortune. He purchased a farm in the town of Clayton and married Rosella Riddle, also from Germany. She died 21 years ago.

A son and daughter were born to the union. The son died eight years ago and the daughter died three years ago.

Fourteen years ago Mr. Hatline left the farm. He is now spending his third year with his grandchildren, Mr. and Mrs. Ross Hatline, who live a few miles south of this place.

A large postcard shower was given him on his birthday.

Typistís Note: 1927 was written at the bottom of this article.



(Special To The Times.)

Depauville, April 16.--George B. Schnauber, 72, for the past 24 years an invalid, died at 7:40 this morning at the home of his sister, Mrs. Charles Lowe, this village. He had been seriously ill for some time and for a while he was a patient at the House of the Good Samaritan at Watertown.

Mr. Schnauber was born in the town of Clayton, June 30, 1861, a son of Augustus and Elizabeth Swind Schnauber. He had always resided in Depauville where he was engaged in farming until 24 years ago when he was stricken with paralysis and had since been an invalid, confined to a wheel chair.

He was a member of the Depauville Methodist Episcopal church, the Masonic lodge and also of the Depauville grange.

Surviving him besides his wife, Mrs. Anna Whittier Swind Schnauber, Ogdensburg, and one daughter, Miss Clare Schnauber, Ogdensburg; two sisters, Mrs. Lowe, at whose home he died, and Mrs. Elizabeth Linnell of Clayton, and one brother, Augustus Schnauber, Depauville.

Funeral services will be held from the home of Mrs. Lowe at 2 Thursday afternoon with Rev. C. A. Robinson, pastor of the Depauville Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Burial will be made in the local cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1934 appeared in pen at the top of this obit.



(Special to The Times.)

Depauville, Oct. 15. -- Mrs. Minnie Eletha Eisenhauer, 57, wife of Jacob Eisenhauer, died Sunday at an Ogdensburg hospital after a ten days' illness. She was a life-long resident of the town of Clayton.

She was born in the town of Clayton Jan. 19, 1877, a daughter of Louis and Angeline Halladay Schnauber. She was married to Mr. Eisenhauer Jan. 3, 1894.

She was a member of the Depauville grange.

Surviving besides her husband are: three daughters, Mrs. Florence Jeffers of Syracuse, Mrs. Francis Stearns of Niagara Falls and Mrs. George McNett of Watertown; one son, Emery of Clayton; a sister, Violette Haas of Syracuse, and six grandchildren, Leslie, Wesley, Tressie, Roscoe and Aubry Eisenhauer and Howard McNett.

The funeral will be held from the home here Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 and from the local Methodist Episcopal church at 2. Interment will be made in the Depauville cemetery.

Typistís Note: ď14 Oct. 1934Ē appeared in pen at the top of this obit.

To wife and mother who departed this life Oct. 14, 1934.


One year ago, dear mother,
 nbsp; God took you from our home;
From your earthly joys and sorrows
 nbsp; And left us all alone.

How we miss your loving kindness
   And a motherís fond embrace,
And we know that thereís no other
   Can fill your vacant place.

O, the neighbors gathered round us,
   To give us strength and cheer,
For they knew youíd crossed the river,
   To a land thatís far from here.

When the day of toil is over,
   And we settle down to rest,
O, we think of you, dear mother,
   The one that we loved best.

When the trials of life are over,
   And our days on earth are done,
O, we pray to meet you, loved one,
   In a bright and happy home.

Jacob Eisenhauer and Family.



Was Member and Trustee of Chaumont Presbyterian Church
Funeral Wednesday.

(Special to The times.)

Chaumont, Feb. 28. -- Fred H. Dillenbeck, 57, a well known and prominent resident of this village, died at his home here Sunday afternoon about 5:45, following an illness of about four months.

Mr. Dillenbeck was born Oct. 1, 1869, at Chaumont, son of the late Andrew Jackson and Catherine Cornwall Dillenbeck. He was born on the homestead farm which he now owns and which is occupied by his son, John Dillenbeck.

On Nov. 4, 1889, Mr. Dillenbeck married Miss Lydia Eckert of this village. He had always resided in this vicinity. A few years ago he retired from active farming and entered the coal business, which he conducted up to the time of his death.

He was an active member of the Chaumont lodge, No. 172, F. and A. M., and at one time was senior warden, filing the masterís chair during a part of that term. He was also a member and trustee of the First Presbyterian church of this village.

Besides his widow, he is survived by two sons, John Eckert and Andrew Jackson Dillenbeck of Chaumont; a daughter, Mrs. Wesley A. Daniels, of Chaumont; three brothers, Luther and George Dillenbeck of Dexter and Jay of East Rochester; a sister, Mrs. William J. Herse, 118 North Meadow street, Watertown; seven grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday, March 2, from the home at 2 and from the Presbyterian church at 2:30, Rev. Robert C. Dunn, pastor, officiating, assisted by Rev. Alexander Scott, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of this village. Services will be conducted by the Chaumont loge, F. and A. M. Interment will be made in Cedar Grove cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1927 was written at the top of this obit.



About 75 Friends Walk in on Couple at Their Home.

Plessis, July 6. -- A surprise party was given in honor of Mr. and Mrs. James Bolton on their 50th wedding anniversary here Monday evening. All arrangements were made by their daughter, Mrs. W. W. Shannon of Carthage.

At 8, the guests, about 75 in number, met at Grange hall and marched in a body to the Bolton home, where Mr. and Mrs. Bolton and Mrs. Boltonís sister, Mrs. Josephine Beckwith of Alexandria Bay, who was in the secret were entertaining Rev. W. H. Bradley. The surprise was a complete one and the visitors received a warm welcome. After congratulations all around a short program was given by Miss Josephine Collins, Mrs. Collins and Mrs. Maude Fox. Dr. Byron Haskin made a few happy remarks to which Mr. and Mrs. Bolton responded. Singing was led by Miss Grace Parker, Mrs. Harriette Frost, Rev. W. H. Bradley and Dr. Haskins. Ice cream and cake were served.

Guests were present from Carthage, Theresa, Philadelphia, Redwood and Alexandria Bay, and at a late hour after a very enjoyable evening the party dispersed to their homes.

The brideís cake was especially fine, being a large white cake beautifully decorated by Ralph Malor, an expert chef of this place.



Anemia Proves Fatal to Well Known Sunday School Worker Whose Case Has Attracted Wide Attention.

(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, Aug. 31. -- Three blood transfusions failed to save the life of Miss Frances M. Carmon, 19, daughter of Fred D. Carmon of this village. At 12:45 this morning she passed away at the House of the Good Samaritan, Watertown.

Miss Carmon, a native of Redwood, was taken ill three weeks ago with anemia and complications. She was removed to the Watertown hospital a week ago last Saturday for blood transfusions, the last of which was given on Sunday afternoon at the hospital. She also underwent an operation. The girl rallied from the operation but yesterday she suffered a relapse.

Miss Carmon was born at Redwood, April 25, 1908, a daughter of Fred C. and the late Grace M. Carmon. She lived at Redwood all of her life. She was graduated from the Redwood High school, class of 1924, and took a yearís post-graduate course. Since leaving school she had kept house for her father and sister, Ruth, her only survivors. Her mother died in 1919.

The girl was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Redwood and was a pianist and teacher at the church Sunday school. She also was an active junior project worker.

The remains were brought here today by Elon R. Howland, Watertown undertaker, an uncle. Funeral services will be held from the Methodist Episcopal church here on Friday afternoon at 2:30, Rev. Ernest Bragg, the pastor, officiating. Burial will be made at the Redwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1927 was penned in at the top of this obit.



Clayton, Sept. 14. -- The funeral of Mrs. Caroline Amelia Helmer Olney who died at her home here Monday night will be held from the home at 1:30 and from the Methodist Episcopal church at 2, Rev. B. G. Miller, pastor of the church, officiating. Interment will be in the family plot at Plessis.

Caroline Amelia Helmer Olney was born Sept. 21, 1848, in the town of Alexandria, daughter of Margaret Cronkhite and Aaron Helmer. She was the eldest of five children and was the last to survive. She received her education in what was known as the select schools and became a teacher.

Dec. 25, 1867 she was united in marriage to Darwin V. Olney, the 50th anniversary of which would have occurred next December. One daughter was born to them. All of her life has been spent in this vicinity except ten years spent in Brookfield, N. Y.

Early in life she was converted and joined the Methodist church of which she was a consistent member as long as she lived. When her health permitted she was active in all the church organizations and gave liberally to each, especially to the Womenís Foreign Missionary society of which she was a life member. She was also a member of the Womenís Civic club of Clayton and was interested in anything for the benefit of society. She was broadminded and a great reader.

From the beginning of the printing the Watertown Times, then the Watertown Reformer and Times, the paper has been continuously in her family. She is survived by her husband, daughter, Mrs. Leonard Leiterman, and two grandchildren, Lucille and Margaret Leiterman, all of Clayton.

Typistís Note: The year, 1927, was written on this obit.



Death Occurs 72 Years and Two Days After Birth
Conducted Eagle Foundry and Machine Shop Many Years.

Theresa, March 14. -- James W. Wakefield, for many years a justice of the peace in this town, a trustee in Oakwood cemetery, a director of the Farmersí National Bank, a director of the Theresa Coal company, and for nearly 50 years a Mason, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Tina Moore in Gouverneur early Sunday morning after an illness of only three days. With his passing there will probably pass out of the industrial life of the village and old landmark, the Eagle Foundry and Machine shop, once the leading foundry in all this section. This business was long conducted by C. Wakefield & Son, but of late years has been nearly inactive.

The passing of Mr. Wakefield came as a great shock to this community, for he was here just a week previous to attend the town board meeting, but failed to appear at the bank meeting on Thursday last. Word came that he was ill with pneumonia, from which he failed to recover.

He was born March 11, 1855, at Carthage, the son of Geymon and Catherin King Wakefield. His death came just 72 years and two days after his birth. When he was two years of age his parents moved to Watertown and he graduated from the Watertown High school in 1872. Shortly afterward he came to Theresa to reside and entered business here with his father in the foundry business.

He was married Dec. 22, 1887, to Julia Matterson of Watertown. Her death occured (sic) some 30 years ago. They had one daughter, Tina Moore of Gouverneur, who survives. Mr. Wakefield always resided here, except for a portion of the last two or three winters, when he went to Gouverneur to spend a brief time with his daughter.

The Wakefield Foundry, as it was generally known, at one time was quite an industrial center. From his shop came the Wakefield stove, which sold all over the north. Many are yet to be found, one being new in the Grange building at Watertown. Also there came from the shop the Indian River Clipper plow, which enjoyed a larger sale. This plow had to give way to the big outputs of the big western shops and some years ago the firm discontinued its manufacture.

For many years the firm had a large output of propellor (sic) wheels for boats and this was one of the last items the firm continued to make. In its early days gem-irons and many other household articles were made here. Several years ago the last regular man in the machine shop went with an auto maker in Syracuse and the shop did only repair work and for the past few years did but little as Mr. Wakefield desired to retire from the work.

In many ways Mr. Wakefield possess a remarkable brain for figures. For years he often went on the road to sell his wares. People often told how they would give order to him for sleigh-shoes, or wheels and many other articles and he would take the order without a pencil or paper. But the order would be filled--oftentimes manufactured to measure, without a mistake. Always a reader he had the mind of a world traveler.

For years he had been a member of the town board and knew every detail of the work from one year to the next. He helped to organize the new cemetery here. He was one of the organizers of the local coal company and was active when the first telephone company was organized here. He was one of the organizers of the Farmersí National Bank here.

Nearly 50 years ago he was raised a Master Mason and occupied about every office in the lodge room. He was a member of the Lodge of Perfection of Watertown.

The funeral services will be held Tuesday at 2:30 from the St. James Episcopal church in this village, Rev. Mr. Wooley, rector of the church officiating. The Masons will have charge of the services at the grave in Oakwood cemetery.

Typistís Note: 1927 was the year written on the top of this obit.

Return to Jefferson County Tidbits

Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page