1. RICHARD VANDERBURGH (son of JOHN W. & JANE (---) VANDERBURGH) was born 8 Mar 1796 at Norway, Herkimer County, NY. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and served on Lake Ontario at Sackets Harbor, NY. He was probably the Private Richard Vanderburgh who was a member of the 27th Regiment (Bellinger's) NY Militia. This was the regiment of Mohawk Valley Militia under Col. Christopher P. Bellinger who was at Sackets Harbor in 1812.
After the war, Richard went "to Alexandria in Jefferson Co, NY and worked for Mr. Leray, a great land owner." Richard stayed in Jefferson County and married. In 1825 Richard and his family were living in Alexandria. He was still there in 1830 and 1835. He died May 11 1837 at the age of 42 years and is buried at Plessis Cemetery in the Town of Alexandria. His wife, Eunice, was the administrator of his estate.
He married around 1824
EUNICE SOUTHWORTH, who was the daughter of JOHN & BATHSHEBA (HOWLAND) SOUTHWORTH of Rutland. Eunice was born 2 Oct 1806 at Rutland, Jefferson Co NY. After Richard died, she married Joseph Hind (see below.) Eunice died 12 Jan 1856 and is buried in the Plessis Cemetery.
2 i JOHN SOUTHWORTH VANDERBURGH married LUCRETIA SUITS
3 ii MARY ANN VANDERBURGH married JOSEPH WILLIAM RUNDLET
4 iii ESTHER MARIE VANDERBURGH married as his second wife, ELNATHAN PLATO
5 iv ANGELINE MAHALA VANDERBURGH married EPHRAIM WEMPLE
EUNICE SOUTHWORTH married (2) 1838
JOSEPH HIND, who was born in Barnaby, England in 1808. In 1840 and 1850, Joseph and Eunice were still farming in the Town of Alexandria. They were still there in 1855, where Eunice died in 1856.
6 i GEORGE LAMB HIND married ALICE (---) [?LOUISA DILLEN?]
7 ii SARAH JANE HIND married GEORGE RASBACK
8 iii NANCY E. HIND married CHARLES HOSNER as his third wife.
9 iv THOMAS MORRIS HIND married JENNIE ALLEN
JOSEPH HIND married (2) 17 Feb 1857
JEANNETTE SHIELDS, who was from Scotland. They lived in Plessis. Jeannette died 17 May 1871 at the age of 43 and was buried in the Plessis Cemetery.
10 i NORMAN S. HIND married FLORENCE E. TAHASH
2. JOHN SOUTHWORTH VANDERBURGH (son of RICHARD & EUNICE (SOUTHWORTH) VANDERBURGH) was born Feb 1825 in New York State. He lived with his parents in the Town of Alexandria, and when his father died he lived with his mother and stepfather. After he married, they lived in Hammond, St Lawrence Co in 1850, but by 1860 they were back in the Town of Alexandria, near Plessis. John was a farmer with real estate valued at $7,000. and personal estate worth $1,625.
On 11 Sep 1862, John joined the Union cause in the Civil War as a captain who commanded company "F", 10th NY Heavy Artillery. He served until his discharge 23 Jun 1865. After the war, John returned to Plessis where in 1870, he was a dry goods merchant with real estate valued at $13,300 and personal assets of $8,406. John and his family were probably still in Plessis in 1876 when their daughter died. In June 1880, John and Lucretia were living in the Town of Theresa in Jefferson County, where John was still selling dry goods. At that time they were living next door to their son, Preston.
John and Lucretia subsequently moved to South Dakota, probably late in 1880. From here, John filed for a Civil War pension. In 1890, they were residing in Huron, Beadle Co SD, where John was collecting a disability pension for malarial poisoning contracted during the Civil War.
In 1900, John, age 75 and Lucretia, age 78, were still living in Huron where they resided at 638 Nebraska St. At this time, John was a Justice of the Peace. John revisited his relatives in Jefferson Co NY in Aug 1900 when he attended the 50th wedding anniversary of his sister, Mary Ann.
John died on 5 Feb 1901 at Huron.
He married 1 Jan 1849 at Plessis, Jefferson Co NY by Rev. S. B. Padden
LUCRETIA SUITS, who was born in NYS Aug 1822. Lucretia died in Huron, Beadle Co SD on 18 Nov 1908
11 i PRESTON K. VANDERBURGH married CARRIE (---)
12 ii SARAH A. VANDERBURGH
3. MARY ANN VANDERBURGH (daughter of RICHARD & EUNICE (SOUTHWORTH) VANDERBURGH) was born in New York State 20 May 1827. In 1850, she was living in Jefferson Co NY, either residing in Rutland with Henry Cross and family or in Alexandria with Joseph Hind and her mother. Mary Ann died 25 Aug 1908, and was buried in the Plessis Cemetery.
She married 8 Jan 1851 at the old Vanderburgh home, by Rev. Fletcher Brown, a Methodist Episcopal minister
JOSEPH WILLIAM RUNDLET, who was born in 1825, the son of CHARLES & POLLY (NEWMAN) RUNDLET. After their marriage, they lived in South Hammond, St Lawrence Co, where they purchased a small farm. They occupied this farm for about eight years. Then they sold it and returned to Alexandria in Jefferson Co where they made their permanent home. Both joined the Plessis Presbyterian Church in 1860. In 1870, they were living in the Town of Alexandria, with a post office address of Alexandria Bay. Here, Joseph was a farmer with real estate valued at $3,780 and personal assets of $2,570. In 1880 they were still farming in the Town of Alexandria, as well as in 1900.
On 8 Aug 1900, Mary Ann and Joseph celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. The celebration occurred five months before their true anniversary so that visitors from afar could make the journey in the summer as opposed to January. Mary Ann's brother, John S. Vanderburgh, came from South Dakota. Others came from Iowa and Michigan. Many attendees had been present at the wedding 50 years ago.
Joseph died 18 Aug 1913, and was buried in Plessis with his wife.
13 i ELLA MARIAN RUNDLET married ABNER HALSEY McOMBER
14 ii HARRIET SUSAN RUNDLET married JOHN HENRY ASH
15 iii JOHN THEADORE RUNDLET married (1) MARY JANE RAPPOLE; (2) ANNA METLAND BUDD
16 iv ABBY MAY RUNDLET married TRUMAN SMITH ROWELL
17 v MARY ELIZABETH RUNDLET married CHARLES ALDEN WILSON
18 vi GEORGE ARTHUR RUNDLET married ALVERDA JONES
19 vii BENNIE DELAY RUNDLET, d.y.
5 ANGELINE MAHALA VANDERBURGH (daughter of RICHARD & EUNICE (SOUTHWORTH) VANDERBURGH) was born in Jefferson Co in October 1831. In 1850, she is recorded twice in the census; living in Alexandria, Jefferson Co, where as "Angeline" she was either residing with her mother and stepfather or as "Mahala" living with the William Newman family who lived next door. Angeline died on 29 Dec 1904 in Huron, Beadle Co SD.
She married around 1856
EPHRAIM WEMPLE, who was born in New York Jul 1833. By 1890, they had relocated to Huron, Beadle Co SD where Ephraim was a census enumerator that year. In 1900, Ephraim and Angeline were living in Theresa Township in Beadle County where Ephraim was a farmer. Living with them was their 18 year old grandson, Richard Claxton, who was born in New York October 1881. Ephraim and Richard were still farming in Theresa, SD in 1910.
20 i ADA E. WEMPLE
21 ii daughter WEMPLE married (---) CLAXTON
22 iii child WEMPLE, b & d prior to 1900
11. PRESTON K. VANDERBURGH (son of JOHN S. & LUCRETIA (SUITS) VANDERBURGH) was born 9 Nov 1850 at Hammond, St Lawrence Co NY. In 1860 he was living on a farm with his parents near the village of Plessis, Town of Alexandria. He was still living with his parents in 1870 when he worked as a clerk in his father's dry goods store. By 1880 he was a traveling merchant.
Late in 1880, or shortly thereafter, Preston and his family moved to South Dakota along with his parents. In 1900 they were living at 419 Illinois St. in Huron, Beadle Co SD. There were still living there in 1909.
He married around 1872
CLARA A. (---) who was born in NYS Feb 1853. In 1880 they were living in the Town of Theresa.
Children, both born in NYS, VANDERBURGH:
23 i MINNIE VANDERBURGH
24 ii JOHN P. VANDERBURGH
17. MARY ELIZABETH RUNDLET (daughter of RICHARD & MARY ANN (VANDERBURGH) RUNDLET) was born on 6 Apr 1863 at Plessis, Jefferson Co. She was living at home with her parents in 1870.
She married 25 Sep 1888 at Alexandria Bay, Jefferson Co, as his second wife,
CHARLES ALDEN WILSON, who was born 2 Apr 1861 at the Wilson homestead at Hyde Lake in Jefferson Co. By his first wife, (---) Frost, he had a daughter Hattie who married (---) Hunter.
Charles and Mary Elizabeth made their home in the Town of Theresa. Charles was an insurance agent for the Theresa Grange of which he was a member. In 1937, Elizabeth, living at Theresa, had a history of the Vanderburgh family.
25 i LORA WILSON married EARL HUNTER
26 ii ALFRED C. WILSON
For further information, contact: William Powers
Return to Town of Alexandria
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page