1. ISAAC WASHBURN was born 11 March 1761 in Kent, CT; he died August 1823 at Mt. Gilead, Morrow Co., OH and is buried there in the Peak Cemetery with a marker to commemorate his Revolutionary War service. He was the son of MILES WASHBURN and SARAH LYON. After the Rev. War, Isaac moved to New York where he eventually settled at Adams in Jefferson Co., NY. In his late years he moved to Ohio. Miles married SARAH EGGLESTON, who was born 20 June 1766, possibly in Dutchess Co., NY, daughter of JOSEPH EGGLESTON, who was born 28 October 1740 in Middleton CT and died 6 Sept. 1799 in Corinth, Saratoga Co., NY.
NOTE: Robert A Love emailed that he believes Sarah Eggleston married Isaac Washburn not Miles.
Children of Isaac Washburn and Sarah Eggleston:
2 i RACHEL WASHBURN married REUBEN WILLARD; Reuben Willard was born 1791 Warren Co., NY; he died 11 March 1883. Was a resident of Northampton, Fulton Co., NY
3 ii CHARLOTTE LOTTIE WASHBURN married CALVIN TOTMAN of Adams, Jefferson Co.
4 iii ABIGAIL WASHBURN married BENJAMIN OLDS
5 iv THEDA WASHBURN married EZRA OLDS and moved to Ohio
6 v JOHN WASHBURN married LUCY FLETCHER and they lived at Adams, in Jefferson Co., NY
3. CHARLOTTE LOTTIE WASHBURN married CALVIN TOTMAN of Adams, Jefferson Co. Calvin C. Totman was the son of THOMAS AND RACHEL (RICE) TOTMAN. He was born in Massachusetts in 1793. (Thomas and Rachel Rice Totman were married in Charlemont, MA on 2 October 1783.) Calvin married Charlotte in 1817 and she died in 1874. Soon after their marriage his house was burned and he lost all of his household goods. He then moved to Lorraine, NY in 1818 and located on a farm of 300 acres. Calvin bought the hotel in Adams and it became well known in the area. He continued in the hotel for more than 20 years when his poor health forced retirement. He died 4 Sept 1864.
Children of Calvin C. Totman and Charlotte Washburn:
7 i RELIEF TOTMAN b 23 Apr. 1818; married ISAAC W. WASHBURN, son of MILES WASHBURN of W. Exeter, NY, her second cousin.
8 ii ELIZA TOTMAN born 9 April 1820; married JOHN TRAFTON of Ontario Co NY
9 iii LOTTIE TOTMAN born 27 Sept. 1825; married PARLEY BROWN of Lorraine, Jefferson Co., NY
10 iv SARAH E. TOTMAN b 9 Nov. 1827; married JOSEPH HEATH of Adams, NY
11 v CALVIN MUNROE TOTMAN born 19 Dec 1830; married URSULA WILDER.
12 vi LAURA J. TOTMAN b 11 April 1834; who married A. B. GILBERT of Lorraine
6. JOHN WASHBURN married LUCY FLETCHER and they lived at Adams, in Jefferson Co., NY.
Children of John Washburn and Lucy Fletcher of Adams, NY:
13 i ESTHER WASHBURN married JOHN CASTOR
14 ii SARAH WASHBURN married SILAS ALLEN
15 iii BETSEY WASHBURN married ___TYSON
16 iv POLLY WASHBURN married DWIGHT B. WASHBURN, son of BETHUEL WASHBURN and EUNICE GIFFORD, born 25 May 1821.
17 v PRISCILLA WASHBURN married WILLIAM FRAZIER of Oxford, Chenango Co., NY
18 vi HARRIET WASHBURN married ROBERT JOINER
19 vii MARY WASHBURN b in Lorraine, Jefferson Co in 1824; in 1843 she married LEWIS RANDALL
20 viii TRIPHENA WASHBURN married HENRY FRAZIER, brother of William
21 ix HULDAH WASHBURN married HENRY SARGEANT
22 x ISAAC BYRON WASHBURN born 17 Feb 1834; married 5 March 1857 LIZZIE HOYT
11. CALVIN MUNROE TOTMAN born 19 Dec 1830; was born in 1830 and spent his early years in Adams; he married URSULA WILDER, daughter of DEAC. CLARK AND PEDA (ROBBINS) WILDER in 1854.
Children of Calvin Totman and Ursula Wilder:
23 i FREDDIE M. TOTMAN who died 1862
24 ii KITTIE ADELLE HILL TOTMAN
25 iii CADDIE ESTELLE WILDER TOTMAN
26 iv BIRDIE BELLE ROBBINS TOTMAN
16. POLLY WASHBURN married DWIGHT B. WASHBURN, son of BETHUEL WASHBURN and EUNICE GIFFORD, born 25 May 1821.
Children of Polly and Dwight B. Washburn:
27 i HENRY G. WASHBURN born 8 Oct 1844; m NANCY BROWN of Lorraine, NY
28 ii MANS V. WASHBURN b 25 Sept 1846; died young
29 iii LENA J. WASHBURN born 10 May 1850; married GEORGE MCCUMBER of Lorraine
30 iv CHARLES M. WASHBURN b 24 July 1853; died young?
31 v EMMA F. WASHBURN b 16 Nov 1857; married EUGENE ALLEN of Lorraine, NY
19. MARY WASHBURN was born in Lorraine, Jefferson Co in 1824; in 1843 she married LEWIS RANDALL, who was born in Lorraine 1 Nov 1812 and died there 1 Jan 1869. Mary died in Oswego Co on 21 Feb 1868. was born in Lorraine, Jefferson Co in 1824; in 1843 she married LEWIS RANDALL, who was born in Lorraine 1 Nov 1812 and died there 1 Jan 1869. Mary died in Oswego Co on 21 Feb 1868.
Children of Mary Washburn and Lewis Randall of Lorraine, Jefferson, NY:
32 i NORMAN RANDALL born 5 Nov 1842; m at Ellisburgh on 6 Feb 1867 to CAROLINE ROBELLARD, born Watertown NY 6 Feb 1849
33 ii LYMAN RANDALL born 22 October 1844
34 iii JAMES RANDALL born 22 July 1846; married in Rodman on 8 Aug 1869 to ELIZABETH CRANGLE, born Canada 11 Jan 1848
35 iv ADALBERT RANDALL born 29 July 1848; married in Adams on 4 July 1867 to ALLIE BANKS
36 v TIRZAH RANDALL born 18 June 1850
37 vi ELDORUS RANDALL born 18 Dec 1851; m in Lorraine on 16 Nov. 1876 to SARAH SWAN
38 vii BENJAMIN RANDALL born 18 Jan. 1858; ,married at Mansville on 16 Nov 1875 to ELLA BISHOP
39 viii DANVILLE RANDALL born 6 August 1856; married MARY DRAPER
40 ix EDWIN RANDALL born 23 Sept. 1859
41 x EVA NORA RANDALL born 7 March 1862; married FRED WILLIAMS of Mansville
22. ISAAC BYRON WASHBURN born 17 Feb 1834; married 5 March 1857 LIZZIE HOYT of Adams, Jefferson Co. Lizzie was born 7 June 1837. Isaac enlisted in August 1862 and served until the close of the Civil War. Was of Lorraine, Jefferson Co. Disch. 23 June 1865; then in Pierepont Manor (sic)
Children of Isaac Washburn and Lizzie Hoyt:
42 i GEORGE WASHBURN born 11 June 1858
43 ii ANGELINE WASHBURN born 11 Feb. 1859; m 10 Aug 1883 to SAM DOIL of Adams, a farmer
44 iii LOTTIE WASHBURN born 21 Mar. 1862; m 16 April 1881 to JOHN H. WOODBURY of Sacketts Harbor; resided in Adams
45 iv MAUD A. WASHBURN born 7 Jan 1864; married 23 Dec 1887 to THOMAS O. NIEL, a railway employee
46 v HERRICK WASHBURN born 12 Aug 1867; died 23 Nov 1888
47 vi EDDIE WASHBURN born 28 July 1870
48 vii RICHARD WASHBURN born 15 Dec 1873; m 14 Aug. ? EVA L. BERRY of PA
49 viii EFFIE G. WASHBURN born 23 Sept 1875;married 3 Dec 1898 FRANCIS E. CARTER of Hounsfield; operator of creamery
50 ix RANT WASHBURN born 19 Feb 1879; m 8 Feb 1904 JESSIE E. PATLER of Pulaski, NY JACKSON RANDALL born 15 April 1864.
The History of Middlefield, MA provides information on the parents of Isaac Washburn. MILES WASHBURN, his father, was the son of EBENEZER AND PATIENCE (MILES)WASHBURN,*probably born New Milford, CT on 10 Jan 1730 and died in Exeter NY 1833/34 at over 103 years. He married on 30 October 1752 to SARAH LYON and was a blacksmith by trade. He moved with his family of six to Murrayfield in 1769. The History of Middlefield mentions that between 1778 and 1783 Washburn was a squatter on the West Hill on a portion of Prescott's Grant between the Ferris and Taylor farms where he improved and laid claim to 227 acres. He was in Saratoga, NY, near Exeter in 1790
*descendants of Pilgrims James Chilton and Francis Cooke. Also Mayflower lineages.
Children of Miles Washburn and Sarah Lyon:
1)ABRAHAM WASHBURN b Kent CT on 20 Dec 1752; married 21 June 1787 to MARY NORTHRUP of Lenox. She d 8 Nov 1799; m (2) JANE LELAND and 3)on 27 March 1806 to OLIVE WRIGHT; was a Captain in the Rev. War; received a pension for his services in 1832.
2)HANNAH WASHBURN b 15 Feb 1756 m JOSEPH WITTER, b 1762, of Washington, Berkshire Co. MA on 5 Mar 1783 in Washington, MA
3)RACHEL WASHBURN born 30 June3 1758
4)ISAAC WASHBURN born 11 March 1760 married SARAH EGGLESTON; a blacksmith in Lenox
5)JACOB WASHBURN born 11 October 1762
6)OZIAS WASHBURN born 1765
7)SARAH WASHBURN born 13 July 1767 who married PETER TUBBS in NY; Peter born 12 Aug. 1764, son of SETH TUBBS
8)MILES WASHBURN born 14 March 1771; married about 1800 to POLLY ANN WEIRS of Saratoga NY bc 1779. He died 20 Aug 1836 at 65 years and she died 25 March 1840 at 61 years; both buried W. Exeter, NY.
9)PATIENCE WASHBURN born 10 December 1775.
THOMAS TOTMAN was born 22 August 1763 in Plymouth, MA; he married RACHEL RICE on 22 September 1783 in Charlemont Franklin Co., MA and died 16 April 1815 in Loraine, Jefferson Co., NY but he is buried in the Leavens Cemetery, Saratoga Co., NY. Thomas was the son of JOSHUA TOTMAN and ELIZABETH WARD. Rachel Rice was likely the daughter of SAMUEL RICE (b 1720) and his wife, DOROTHY MARTIN of Rutland. They moved to Charlemont with three Rice sons and in Charlemont added to the family with Samuel, Artemis, RACHEL and Lucy Rice. Source: History of the Connecticut Valley Samuel Rice pursued the Hessians during the Rev. War. to Bennington but was captured the following fall (c 1776-77?) and suffered intensely from the cold. Samuel managed to escape and after severe hardships reached his home in early summer. Source: History of Charlemont, MA
EXPERIENCE TOTMAN, sister of Thomas, was born 23 Feb 1762 at Plymouth; she married JOHN WASHBURN on 30 April 1778 at Plymouth and 2nd, WILLIAM TAYLOR on 19 Sept. 1803 in Buckland, Hampshire, MA. She died 20 Aug 1830 at Buckland. The mother, Elizabeth Ward Totman died in her 85th year (born 30 Oct 1733) while on a visit to the home of William Taylor, on 18 May 1818; Source: Greenfield Gazette & Courier.
In August of 1901, a family reunion of the Totmans was held at Bristol; descendants of Rachel (b 1762) and Thomas Totman (b 1763). Their children: Samuel, Thomas, Calvin, Rachel and Ward. Thomas Totman was represented by his grandson, W. U. Nichols with his daughter Lena and son, Floyd. Calvin was represented by his grandson, Henry C. Trafton with his daughters, Minnie and Ada. Source: Ontario Co Journal of 23 Aug. 1901
Ebeneezer Washburn, his ancestors and descendants, History of Middlefield, MA; Hist. Of Medway MA; Tubbs Genealogy; military records; VIR of MA, NY; cemetery records; Mayflower Lineages, DAR Records; Hudson-Mohawk Geneal.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Return to Town of Adams
Copyright 2011 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
Copyright 2017 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page