1. DANIEL WHARRY was born 1764 in Montgomery Township, Orange Co., NY. He died in Jefferson Co., NY on 2 March 1842 at Plessis. No markers were found for either Daniel or Eunice. He married in 1784 to EUNICE GOLDEN. Daniel was a Revolutionary War soldier and applied for his pension while a resident of Brownville NY in September of 1832. His pension was allowed in March 1834. See Fonda List this site for military record; however he is listed as Daniel Whorry. Daniel Wharry is listed in the DAR Patriot Index. Daniel Wharry was an early settler of Alexandria Township.
Children of Daniel Wharry and Eunice Golden:
2 i ROBERT WHARRY – no information
3 ii SALLY WHARRY was born in 1802 and died 26 April 1847; buried Brookside Cemetery, Plessis NY. She married in 1829 to JAMES E. HART, who was born 1805 and died in 1857.
4 iii EMMALINE WHARRY was born 1804 and married her sister's widower, JAMES E. HART on 20 March 1848 in Alexandria Bay, Jefferson Co., NY.
5 iv JUSTICE WHARRY born 1806; married JANE RICE who was born 1816.
6 v ELIZA WHARRY born 1808; married REV. SMITH GRIFFIN, born 1808 and died 30 Oct. 1862.
7 vi EUNICE JANE WHARRY born 1813; married JACOB HARTMAN born 1812 in NY.
3. SALLY WHARRY, daughter of Daniel Wharry and Eunice Golden, was born in 1802 and died 26 April 1847; buried Brookside Cemetery, Plessis NY. She married in 1829 JAMES E. HART, who was born 1805 and died in 1857.
Children of Sally Wharry and James E. Hart:
8 i ELISABETH HART born 1831
9 ii ENOCH HART born 1834
10 iii MANDEVILLE HART born 1837
11 iv MURETTA HART born 1840; she married (1) JAMES HART, (2) NELSON A. HOCKRIDGE.
12 v MANDRIL HART born 1843
5. JUSTICE WHARRY, son of Daniel Wharry and Eunice Golden, was born 1806; married JANE RICE who was born 1816. In 1850 the couple lived in Alexandria, Jefferson Co., NY and by 1870 they were living in Dellona Township, Sauk Co., WI.
Children of Justice Wharry and Jane Rice:
13 i WILLIAM WHARRY born 1842 NY
14 ii ORREN M. WHARRY born 1844 NY in 1900, Orren and brother, Robert, were living together at Dellona, Sauk Co., WI
15 iii ELIZA JANE WHARRY born 1846 NY
16 iv GEORGE D. WHARRY born 1848 NY
17 v ROBERT J. WHARRY born 1850 NY
18 vi IDA WHARRY born 1857 WI
19 vii ETTA WHARRY born 1860 WI
6. ELIZA WHARRY, daughter of Daniel Wharry and Eunice Golden, was born 1808. She married REV. SMITH GRIFFIN, born 1808 and died 30 Oct. 1862. Eliza died 3 November 1873 at 63 years; both are buried in the Three Mile Bay Cemetery in the Town of Lyme, Jefferson County, NY. In 1850 the couple lived at Hammond, St. Lawrence Co., NY and in 1860 at Franklin Co., NY.
Children of Eliza Wharry and Smith Griffin:
20 i JANE GRIFFIN born 1836
21 ii ALBERT GRIFFIN born 1847
7. EUNICE JANE WHARRY, daughter of Daniel Wharry and Eunice Golden was born 1813. She married JACOB HARTMAN born 1812 in NY, probable son of JACOB HARTMAN and HANNAH COX of Montgomery Co NY.
Children of Eunice J. Wharry and Jacob Hartman:
22 i SURVILLA HARTMAN was born March 1845 NY; married 1868 JOHN G. DAILEY born 1845.
23 ii EDGAR HARTMAN born 1846
11. MURETTA HART, daughter of Sally Wharry and James E. Hart was born 1840. She married (1) JAMES HART, who was born 1837 in Ireland. She married (2) NELSON A. HOCKRIDGE, born 1831. Nelson served in the Civil War. Muretta died in 1900 in Missouri.
Children of 11. Muretta Hart and James Hart:
24 i ALFORD HART
25 ii WILLIAM HART
Children of Muretta Hart and Nelson A. Hockridge:
26 iii ELIZABETH HOCKRIDGE born 1859; married 9 Oct. 1879 GEORGE W. BARLOW, born 1855
22. SURVILLA HARTMAN, daughter of Eunice J. Wharry and Jacob Hartman was born March 1845 NY. She married 1868 JOHN G. DAILEY who was born 1845. He served in the Civil War and died 1903. His parents were born in Ireland. Survilla died in 1926 and she is buried in Rutland, Jefferson Co., NY with John. In the 1900 census, Survilla stated she had been married for 32 years; had been the mother of eight children, five of whom were living at that time. In 1880 the couple lived in Oneida Co., NY and had a child Ethel Dailey living with them who was born 1874 but not their child. In 1870 the couple lived at Hastings in Oswego Co NY.
Children of Survilla Hartman and John G. Dailey:
27 i CORA A. DAILEY born 1868
28 ii MAUDE E. DAILY born 1869
29 iii EDITH DAILEY born 1871
30 iv MAYBELLE A. DAILEY born May 1885 NY; married JAMES BOYCE born 1884. Her DAR National No. 111749
26. ELIZABETH HOCKRIDGE, daughter of Muretta Hart and Nelson A. Hockridge born 1859; married 9 Oct. 1879 GEORGE W. BARLOW, born 1855 of Blue Ridge, MO. Her DAR Nat. No. 102457
Children of Elizabeth Hockridge and George W. Barlow:
31 i MABEL BARLOW; married LESLIE R. KAUTZ Her DAR Nat. No. 102458
32 ii EMELINE HOCKRIDGE born 1862 MO; married F. H. NALLY
33 iii WILLIAM H. HOCKRIDGE born 1865 MO
Sources: Personal DAR records of descendants; DAR Patriot Index; Colonial Hist. Of the State of NY; census records, cemetery records, vital records; Hist. Of Northwest Missouri; pension records
Researched by M. Sapienza 7/2011
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Return to Town of Alexandria
Copyright 2011 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
Copyright 2017 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page