1. JAMES WHEELER was born 26 Nov 1748 in Greenwich, Massachusetts. He married RACHEL (---). They settled in Chesterfield Twp, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire, where their children were born. James was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. He served in the New Hampshire militia as a private under Capt. William Humphrey, and as a sergeant under Lt. Oliver Cobleigh.
The History of the Wheeler Family in America by Albert G. Wheeler incorrectly asserts that "The History of Chesterfield, N.H., says that his father's name was Joseph, also that he was a brother of Benjamin Wheeler No. 10172." In actuality, The History of Chesterfield, Cheshire County, N.H. (by Oran E. Randall) does not identify James Wheeler's father. It states:
WHEELER, James, said to have been the brother of Ephm., Benjamin, 2nd, and Randall Wheeler (q.v.), may have been in Chfd. in 1773. His wife was Rachel (---). Selectman 1792 (?), 1800, '01. His name disappears between 1815 and '19.
It is generally accepted that these brothers are the sons of Ephraim Wheeler and Hannah Marks of Greenwich (Quabbin), Hampshire County, MA.
The majority of James Wheeler's family had moved to Jefferson County, NY by 1819, settling in Brownville, Henderson, and Ellisburgh townships. James Wheeler died in Brownville in 1835. Many of his children and grandchildren later moved on to Wisconsin and Minnesota in the mid 1840's. Some remained in Jefferson County.
Children of James and Rachel Wheeler:
1. HAHHAH WHEELER b. 12 Mar 1775 (NH) d. possibly before 1835
2. JONATHAN WHEELER b. 18 Apr 1777 (NH) d. unknown
3. SILAS WHEELER b. 21 May 1780 (NH) d. 2 Feb 1860 (MN) m. 1st SALLY BISHOP, m. 2nd LENORA POWELL BELDING
4. RACHEL WHEELER b. 3 Nov 1782 (NH) d. 16 Feb 1855 (MI) m. 1st (---) COOK, m. 2nd JONATHAN SCOTT
5. EPHRAIM WHEELER b. 26 Jan 1785 (NH) d. 24 Feb 1844 (WI) m. LURANA DAGGETT
6. LEONARD WHEELER b. 14 Jul 1787 (NH) d. 27 Nov 1857 (WI) m. EUNICE DAGGETT
7. ROSWELL WHEELER b. 11 May 1790 (NH) d. before 1860 (NY or IL) m. PHILA (---)
8. LEAH WHEELER b. 23 Jun 1792 (NH) d. before 1880 (probably IA) m. EATON GROW
9. FANNY WHEELER b. 1 Dec 1794 (NH) d. unknown m. ________ Crosby
In James Wheeler's will of 1834, he also named an additional child, probably an adopted orphan:
10. PAUL HILDRETH b. 19 Apr 1798 (NH) d. 29 Dec 1869 (MA) m. 1st JANE MORGAN, m. 2nd LUCRETIA MORGAN
1) The History of the Wheeler Family in America, by Albert G. Wheeler, 1914.
2) Will of James Wheeler of Brownville, Jefferson County, NY, probated 1835.
3) History of Chesterfield, Cheshire County, NH, by Oran E. Randall, 1882.
4) "Descendents of Leonard Wheeler" in Lyme Heritage Center Wheeler Family File.
5) James Wheeler of NH, Daughters of the American Revolution Ancestor Database, Ancestor #A204420.
6) Known War of 1812 Veterans Buried in Minnesota. By Arthur Louis Finnell, Bloomington, MN, 1996.
7) Portrait and Biographical Record: Muskegon and Ottawa Counties, Michigan. Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, IL, 1893. Entry for Mrs. Hannah C. Barnard.
For more information contact Vanessa Herring
Return to Town of Henderson
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page