1. Lyman ALLEN was born on 10 Apr 1783 in Pittsfield, Berkshire, MA and died in Philadelphia, Jefferson, NY, on 20 Nov 1854. He was the son of Joseph (Joseph, Samuel, Samuel, Samuel) ALLEN and Sarah LYMAN. Born in MA, he spent his early years in Charlotte, Chittenden, VT, where his father settled on a land grant he received for service in the Revolutionary War. On 3 Jan 1812 he married Anna DEUEL (DUEL), daughter of Silas S. DEUEL Jr. & Mary WOOD, in Saratoga, NY. Born on 26 Jan 1795 in Dutchess Co., NY Anna died in Victor, Ontario, NY, on 6 Jan 1866; and was buried in Victor Village Cemetery. Lyman Allen is listed in the 1820 census of Saratoga Co. He then appears in the Jefferson County, Town of Philadelphia censuses for the years 1825, 1830, 1835, 1850, 1855. In the 1855 census he is listed among the deaths occurring during the year. By the time of the 1860 census, his widow and several children were living in Felts Mills, Rutland, Jefferson, NY.
Lyman ALLEN and Anna DEUEL had the following children:
Family of Lyman ALLEN (1) & Anna DEUEL (DUEL)
2. Daughter ALLEN. Born 8 Mar 1813. Died as an infant in Saratoga, NY.
3. Sarah ALLEN. Born 22 Apr 1815 in Saratoga Co., NY. Sarah died in Felts Mills, Jefferson Co., NY, on 9 Oct 1900 and was buried in the Felts Mills Cemetery. Sarah never married. In 1855 she was a servant in the home of the John Howard family in the Town of Philadelphia. In 1870 she was living in the Town of LeRay with her sister Rhoda's family. In 1880 she was living with her niece, Maria TOOKER CASWELL, in West Carthage, Town of Champion. In 1900 she lived in Felts Mills with her sister-in-law, Sarah TOWNSEND ALLEN and nephew, Daniel B. ALLEN.
4. Mary Ann ALLEN. Born 26 Dec 1817 in Saratoga, NY; died of typhoid fever in Felts Mills, Jefferson, NY, on 31 Aug 1881. About 1839, she married (Jacob) William TOOKER, Jr., son of Jacob TOOKER & Lavina ACKLEY. Born about 1812 in Connecticut, he died in Felts Mills, NY, on 24 Jun 1867. Mary Ann lived in Felts Mills all of her married life. Both are buried in Felts Mills Cemetery.
Mary Ann ALLEN and William TOOKER had the following children:
5. Delia ALLEN. Born16 Dec 1820 in Saratoga Springs, Saratoga, NY, she died in Boonville, Oneida, NY, on 21 Sep 1906. On 1 Jun 1853 she married John Manchester FISK/FISKE in Boonville, Oneida, NY. Born about 1 Oct 1809 in Boonville, Oneida, NY, he died in Boonville on 20 Aug 1887.
Delia ALLEN and John FISK had the following children:
6. Amanda ALLEN. Born 6 Dec 1822 in Saratoga Springs, Saratoga, NY, Amanda died at the summer residence of her daughter, Delia A. Felt, at Thousand Island Park, on 5 Sep 1901 and was buried in Victor Village Cemetery. On 31 Jan 1848, she married Chauncy Wilbur FELT, son of Jabez FELT & Lydia TORREY, in Felts Mills, Jefferson NY. Born on 8 Jan 1820 in Victor, Ontario, NY, he died in Victor, Ontario, NY, on 20 Oct 1887.
Amanda ALLEN and Chauncy FELT had the following children:
7. Adocia ALLEN. Born on 2 May 1824 in Saratoga, NY, she married A. BURLINGAME, born about 1809, probably in Boonville, NY. In 1880 she was living in Precinct P, Seward, Nebraska. In 1900 she was living in Oak Grove, Franklin, NE in the home of her brother, Ethan ALLEN. She died there in 1904.
Adocia ALLEN and A. BURLINGAME had one child:
8. Eunice ALLEN. Born 2 Apr 1828 in Jefferson Co., NY, Eunice died in Bothell, Washington, on 4 Mar 1900; she was buried in Mt. Pleasant, Seattle, WA. In 1855 she was living in Boonville, Oneida Co., NY. On 16 Oct 1856 in Boonville, NY, she married Benjamin STICKNEY, son of William STICKNEY & Angeline GILLETT. He was born on 19 Jun 1833 in NY. In 1880 they were living in Sun Prairie, Dane, WI, with son, William.
Eunice ALLEN and Benjamin STICKNEY had the following children:
9. Daniel B. ALLEN. Born 12 Apr 1830 in Philadelphia, Jefferson Co., NY. Dan died in Omaha, Douglas, NE, on 26 Apr 1884 and was buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery, Omaha, Douglas Co., NE. Dan served in the Civil War, and when the war ended he moved West. In 1868 he owned a saloon and residence in Omaha, NE. His common-law wife was Anna WILSON. Anna died in 1910. Dan owned one of the most popular gambling houses in Omaha, and his wife was a 'Madam" who operated a bordello. No children.
10. Joseph ALLEN. Born 9 Jul 1832 in Philadelphia, Jefferson Co., NY, Joseph died in Felts Mills, Jefferson, NY, on 5 Apr 1899 and was buried in Felts Mills Cemetery. He served in Co. A, 100th Reg. NY Vol. Infantry during the Civil War. On 4 Jan 1858 he first married Sarah Jane SELF, daughter of William SELF & Lucy BISHOP, in Philadelphia, Jefferson, NY. They were divorced on 14 Feb 1870.
Joseph ALLEN and Sarah SELF had the following children:
30 i. Nettie E. (1861-1923)
31 ii. Adeline (1860-?)
On 6 May 1872 he second married Sarah Jane TOWNSEND, daughter of Joseph TOWNSEND & Betsey KELLOG POTTER, in Watertown, NY. Born 8 Jan 1851 in Rutland, Jefferson, NY. Sarah died in Antwerp, Jefferson, NY, on 30 Mar 1936 and was buried on 1 Apr 1936 in Felts Mills Cemetery.
Joseph ALLEN and Sarah TOWNSEND had the following children:
32 i. Sarah J. (1876-1885)
33 ii. Daniel Bonaparte (1881-?)
11. Ethan ALLEN. Born on 25 Oct 1835 in Philadelphia, Jefferson Co., NY. Ethan died in Franklin, Nebraska, on 14 Jun 1909. Following service in Co. A, 35th Infantry during the Civil War, he moved West and settled in Nebraska. On 15 Mar 1875 he married Mary Ellen JOHNSON in Douglas, Omaha, Nebraska. Born on 14 Dec 1858 in Lexington, MO, Mary Ellen died in Franklin, Nebraska, on 2 Dec 1930.
Ethan ALLEN and Mary Ellen JOHNSON had the following children:
34 i. Anna Marie (1875-1955)
35 ii. Lyman George (1877-1948)
36 iii. Ethan Wesley (1879-1961)
37 iv. Delia Ellen (1880-)
38 v. Daniel Enoc Webster (1885-1959)
39 vi. Sarah Amanda (1886-1918)
40 vii. Benjamin Harrison (1888-1974)
41 viii. Maude Adoshia (1890-1989)
42 ix. Ruth Amelda (1892-1979)
43 x. Eunice Belle (1894-1939)
44 xi. Grace Mildred (1896-)
45 xii. Clara Hester (1898-)
46 xiii. Ethel May (1900-)
12. Hiram ALLEN. Born 8 Jul 1837 in Philadelphia, Jefferson, NY, Hiram died in Huntingtonville, Town of Watertown, NY, on 16 Nov 1905. He was buried in the Felts Mills Cemetery. He lived in Felts Mills most of his adult life. By 1870, he first married Sarah R. UNKNOWN. Born in 1830. Sarah R. died in Felts Mills, Jefferson Co., NY, on 16 Aug 1894. On 19 Jul 1896 he second married Sarah A. CARHART, daughter of Henry CARHART & Cornelia (UNKNOWN), in Town Of Rutland, NY. Born 15 May 1854 in Brooklyn, NY. Sarah A. died in Felts Mills, NY, on 9 Sep 1903, and was buried in Felts Mills Cemetery. No children from either marriage.
13. Patience L. /Lovina P. ALLEN. Born 25 May 1841 in Philadelphia, Jefferson, NY, she died in Rochester, Monroe, NY, on 12 Oct 1883 and was buried in Mount Hope Cemetery, Rochester. Unmarried, no children.
14. Rhoda Mariah ALLEN. Born 16 Oct 1842 in Philadelphia, Jefferson Co., NY, she died at the home of her daughter in Watertown, Jefferson Co., NY, on 26 Nov 1906, and was buried in Felts Mills Cemetery. About 1860 she first married Albert LYNCH, son of Patrick LYNCH & Betsey E. LOWELL. Born in 1834. Albert died in Harrisburg, Lewis, NY, on 19 Jan 1883. At that time, Rhoda moved back to Felts Mills.
Rhoda ALLEN and Albert LYNCH had the following children:
47 i. Anna (1861-1948)
48 ii. Eugene Thomas (1865-1948)
49 iii. Frank J. (1872-1927)
50 iv. Cora Estelle (1876-1957)
51 v. Alberta Rhoda (1883-1934)
After 1883 Rhoda Mariah second married Welcome WHITLOCK. He died of diphtheria in Felts Mills, Jefferson, NY, on 4 Feb 1885.
On 24 Jan 1888 Rhoda third married George L. CHAMPLIN, son of Peter CHAMPLIN & Emily UNKNOWN, in Watertown, NY. (State Street Church parsonage, Rev. C. C. Townsend) He was born about 1846 in Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence, NY and died after 1906. They were separated.
Only families that remained in Jefferson County
Family of Mary Ann ALLEN (4) & (Jacob) William TOOKER
15. George W. TOOKER. Born about 1840 in Felts Mills, Jefferson, NY. he died 9 Jun 1865; he was buried in Felts Mills Cemetery. George W. married UNKNOWN.
George TOOKER and UNKNOWN had the following children: i. George W. (~1865-<1881)
ii. Hariet (Hattie) A. (1862-1923)
16. (Lovinia) Maria TOOKER. Born 12 Feb 1842 in Felts Mills, NY, Maria died at her home 35 Main St. W. Carthage, NY, on 26 Apr 1926; she was buried in West Carthage Cemetery. About 1859 she married Osmyn H. CASWELL, son of Osmyn Caswell and Lydia HOUSE. Born on 17 Sep 1835 in Theresa, Jefferson, NY, he died about 1901 and was buried in West Carthage Cemetery. About 1865 they moved from Felts Mills to West Carthage.
Maria TOOKER and Osmyn H. CASWELL had the following children:
i. Daniel (1870-1876)
ii. Ella L. (~1861-?)
17. Jenny Lind TOOKER. Born about 1853 in Felts Mills, NY, she died on 8 Oct 1882 at age 29 y 9m 4d.and was buried in Felts Mills Cemetery. Jenny was a school teacher, never married, no children.
Family of Joseph ALLEN (10) & Sarah Jane SELF
30. Nettie E. ALLEN. Born 13 April 1861 in Jefferson County, NY, she died in Jan 1923 in Carthage, NY. Nettie first married George T. HOSFORD, son of Albert Timothy HOSFORD and Julia HOUSE. Born 11 [or 17 ] Jul 1853 in Natural Bridge, Jefferson, NY, he died on 4 Apr 1894.
They had the following children:
i. Pearl G. (1884-1961)
ii. Vera D. (1894-?)
On 23 Oct 1907 Nettie second married Duane PIERCE, son of Charles PIERCE. Born 28 Sep 1850 in Hosfords Corners, Jefferson, NY, Duane died on 20 Jun 1931 in Carthage, NY.
31. Adeline/Adelade ALLEN. Born in 1860. Age 10 in the 1870 census, living in Wilna with her paternal grandparents. Adeline married Unknown HUBBARD.
Family of Joseph ALLEN (10) & Sarah Jane TOWNSEND
32. Sarah J. ALLEN. Born in Jan 1876. Sarah J. died in Feb 1885 and was buried in Felts Mills,Cemetery.
33. Daniel Bonaparte ALLEN. Born 8 Jan 1881, he married Mary MILSTED, born about 1885 in Ilion, NY. Mary died in Theresa, Jefferson, NY, 10 Nov 1934.
Daniel B. ALLEN and Mary MILSTED had one child:
i. Joyce Milsted (1917-?
Family of Rhoda Mariah ALLEN (14) & Albert LYNCH
47. Anna LYNCH. Born 19 Dec 1861 in Jefferson County, NY, near Felts Mills, Anna died in Rutland, NY, on 21 May 1948, and was buried in Felts Mills Cemetery. Anna married John HUGHES, son of Andrew HUGHES & Ellen UNKNOWN, about 1883. Born about 1830 in Copenhagen, Denmark, Lewis, NY, John died in Harrisburg, Lewis, NY, on 10 Jun 1928, and was buried in Carthage, Jefferson, NY, St. James Cemetery. No children.
48. Eugene Thomas LYNCH. Born 9 Oct 1865 in Harrisburg, Lewis Co., NY, he died in Huntingtonville, Watertown, NY, on 16 May 1948, and was buried in Huntingtonville Cemetery. He resided in the Harrisburg area until the early 1900s when he moved to Huntingtonville. For about 32 years he worked for the Watertown Ice Company, retiring to operate a small farm in Huntingtonville. About 1896 he married Margaret LAROCK. Born 5 Mar 1879 in Watertown, NY, Margaret died in Huntingtonville, on 13 Mar 1960. No children.
49. Frank J. LYNCH. Born in 1872, Frank died in NY on 2 Jun 1927, and was buried in Felts Mills Cemetery. No marriage, no children.
50. Cora Estelle LYNCH. Born 11 Jun 1876 in Oswego, NY, she died in Felts Mills, Jefferson, NY, on 17 Jun 1957, and was buried in Felts Mills Cemetery. On 17 Apr 1899 she married Edwin Harold GALLOWAY, son of Christopher Cornelius GALLOWAY & Jane M. PARKER, in Felts Mills, Jefferson, NY. (Rev. L.D. Greene, Methodist church). Born 13 Oct 1875 in Harrisburg, Lewis, NY, he died in Felts Mills, Jefferson, NY, on 12 Jun 1959, and was buried in Felts Mills Cemetery.
Cora LYNCH and Edwin GALLOWAY had the following children:
i. Anna Cora (1900-1985)
ii. Alice May (1901-1988)
iii. Edwin Harold Jr. (1904-1904)
iv. Harold Eugene (1908-1989)
v. Charles Edwin PFC (1914-1945)
51. Alberta Rhoda LYNCH. Born 10 Mar 1883, Alberta died in Syracuse, Onondaga, NY, on 14 Nov 1934; she was buried in Felts Mills Cemetery. On 24 Dec 1900 she married Ellis Aldrich DUNN, son of Lewis Clark DUNN & Eunice ALDRICH, in Felts Mills Methodist Church. Born 11 Nov 1876 in Felts Mills, Jefferson, NY, Ellis died in Syracuse, NY, on 14 Oct 1956.
Alberta LYNCH and Ellis DUNN had the following children:
i. Byron Edwin (1904-1989)
ii. Mildred (1912-1987)
iii. Clark (1917-1996)
iv. Robert Edgar (1921-1997)
Return to Town of Philadelphia
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page