Biographical information was extracted from R. A. Oakes' 1905 Genealogical and Family History of the County of Jefferson, New York, Volume I by Marilyn Sapienza.
Thomas McCartin of Redwood, Jefferson County, NY
Thomas McCartin, was born in 1810 in Ireland, and came to this country in 1830, and settled in Redwood, Jefferson County, NY. He was a farmer by occupation, which industry he followed in the town of Alexandria for a number of years, and also in the town of Watertown. His death occurred in the town of Rochester, NY at 81 years. He and his wife were the parents of four children.
Their son, John C. McCartin, was born in Redwood, NY on March 8, 1840. He spent the early years of his life in his native town and received a common school and academic education. He assisted with the work of the farm until 1858 when he came to Watertown, studied law with the then celebrated law firm of Beach & Brown, and was admitted to the bar in 1861, two years later serving in the capacity of managing clerk in the same office. He enlisted in Company A. 14th NY Heavy Artillery, in 1863, and was promoted to first lieutenant of his company. On account of physical disability, he was discharged from the service in the summer of 1864, and soon thereafter resumed the practice of law at Watertown. In 1868 he became associated with Hon. Pardon C. Williams, under the firm name of McCartin & Williams, and this connection continued until Mr. Williams was elected justice of the Supreme Court in 1883, after which Mr. McCartin practiced alone until his death on January 2, 1892, at which time he was among the oldest and most successful members of the bar. He was a Democrat in politics, took an active interest in national and local affairs, and although the county was strongly Republican, he was elected judge by a majority of over two hundred, and was the first Democrat elected to fill that position in over 30 years.
In 1872, Mr. McCartin was united in marriage to Julia Sterling, born in Antwerp, NY, daughter of John Riley and Roxanna (Church) Sterling. One child was born to them, George S. Mrs. McCartin, who died in 1889, was one of five children. In 1891 Mr. McCartin married for his second wife, Miss Fanny Paddock, of Norwich Corners, NY, who survived him, and is now a resident of Pennsylvania.
Their son, George S. McCartin, born August 2, 1878, was reared in Watertown, and his educational advantages were obtained in the common and graded schools of that town, at Andover Academy, and Yale College, from which institution he was graduated in 1900. He then pursued a course of legal training in the New York Law School, was graduated therefrom in 1901 and at once returned to Watertown, NY, where he has practices his chosen profession to the present time.
John G. Gonseth of Depauville, NY
John G. Gonseth, a resident of Depauville, NY, where for the past four years he has successfully conducted a general hardware, carriage and harness-making business, is a man of keen discrimination, sound judgment, diligence and enterprise and these characteristics bespeak for him a brilliant success in the future and richly merited prosperity. He was born in Canton Berne, Switzerland, October 9, 1874, a son of Christian and Louisa Gonseth, and grandson of Christian Gonseth, who was born in Switzerland in 1810, was one of a number of children, and he spent his entire life and died in the home of his childhood; he was a glassblower by trade and made fancy articles of spun glass which were readily disposed of at advantageous prices.
Christian Gonseth (father) was also a native of Canton Bern, Switzerland, the date of his birth being 1844. He was reared on a farm in his native village, obtained a common school education, and later in life came to the United States in 1884, settling in New York State near Sanfords Corners. He was accompanied by his wife, Louisa Ador, born in Switzerland in 1846, one of a large family of children, and several of their elder children who were born in Switzerland. Their family consisted of the following named children:
1. Louisa, became the wife of Jack Stalder, living near Lafargeville, NY and they are the parents of three children.
2. Christian married Emma Stalder; their son, Fred, is now employed on the police force in New York City.
3. John G. mentioned hereafter.
5. Frederick, married Stella Wilrath, of this county, has one child
The early years of the life of John G. Gonseth, third child in order of birth, born to Christian and Louisa (Ador) Gonseth, were spent at Sanfords Corners, NY, where he acquired a practical education in the common schools, and whence he removed, in 1899 to Depauville, NY. Here he first established a harness and bicycle business, but finding that there was a constant demand for hardware of all kinds, he added a new department to his establishment, which is fully equipped with a select line of general hardware and carriages. By his straightforward and progressive method of conducting this enterprise he has won the public confidence in an unusual degree and gained a liberal patronage.
Mr. Gonseth was united in marriage, August 22, 1900 to May E. Nellis, born in Depauville, NY, January 20, 1879, daughter of Edgar and Eva (Seeber) Nellis, who were the parents of three children:
1. May E., the eldest, wife of Mr. Gonseth
2. Bertha, born December 5, 1886
3. Orlando, born July 11, 1892, died May 10, 1895.
Mr. Nellis is a farmer in Depauville, where he and his family have spent all their lives.
George Camp, of Sacketts Harbor, NY
George Camp was the son of Talcott and Nancy (Hale) Camp; he was born in the historic town of Glastonbury, Connecticut, August 8, 1790. In the winter of 1816-17 he came to Sacketts Harbor, where he set up the first printing press and issued the first newspaper in the village and one which was noted in its day as a warm champion of federalistic doctrine, and at the same time a vigorous exponent of local interests. His wife, Elizabeth Hitchcock, daughter of Eliakim Hitchcock, a native of Connecticut, was reared in Utica, New York. She was a devout Christian and active in church work.
Elizabeth Camp was the mother of three sons:
1. Talcott H., deceased, who was for 40 years president of the Jefferson County Bank
2. George Hull Camp, who became a prominent manufacturer, and now resides in Marietta, Georgia
3. Colonel Walter B. Camp.
Talcott Hale Camp was born in Utica, NY, January 17, 1816. He came of vigorous stock and was so well preserved that when nearly 80 years of age, he bore himself in action and appearance, as though he were not more than 60. While he was an infant, his father removed to Sacketts Harbor and there the child was reared and educated. Talcott located in Watertown as early as 1840. At once, he opened a drug and paint store in rooms in the Paddock Block, opposite the public square and his business steadily developed and brought him considerable means. The business ultimately came to the hands of Camp & Massey, the members of which firm were Mr. Camp's son, Walter H. Camp and George B. Massey.
Talcott was among the earliest advocates of the railroad between Rome and Cape Vincent and afforded to the project his intelligent service during many years. An aider in its building, in face of what at times appeared to be insurmountable obstacles, he never lost faith. In 1863 he was elected to the directorate and his term of service continued during the long period of 25 years, including seven years in the capacity of vice-president. Mr. Camp was also for several years one of the trustees of the Watertown Steam Engine company, which grew into a mammoth establishment, one of the most important of its kind in the United States. For about 30 years he was a member of the board of trustees of the Jefferson County Savings Bank, and for several years before his death, he was its president.
From the time of his taking up residence in Watertown, Talcott Camp was a member of the First Presbyterian Church and a liberal contributor to its support and to the maintenance of its various objects of beneficence. On 3 June 1847, Talcott Camp married Ann Elizabeth Sewall, daughter of Henry D. Sewall. Henry Sewall was a highly educated gentleman of the old school, who came to Watertown shortly after 1830 and became known as one of its most progressive citizens, becoming interested in various textile fabric manufacturing establishments. His home on Sewall's Island was noted for its hospitality.
Talcott and Elizabeth Camp were the parents of three sons:
1. Fred Sewall, a cotton manufacturer in Connecticut
2. Walter Hale Camp, long senior member of the firm of Camp & Massey of Watertown
3. George Van Santvoord Camp, both of Jefferson Co. National Bank
Elizabeth Camp, their mother, died on her 41st wedding anniversary, June 3, 1888. Talcott passed away February 7, 1897 and his passing was deeply regretted by the community.
Walter Bicker Camp, the third son of George and Elizabeth (Hitchcock) Camp, was born 1 October 1822 at Sacketts Harbor. It was there that he received a liberal academic education. The later construction of the first railway, from Sacketts Harbor to Pierrepont Manor, enlisted his earnest endeavor. Walter's services during the Civil War were of great usefulness. Shortly after the war began, he was chosen by Governor Morgan to command the military depot at Madison Barracks, Sacketts Harbor, and was commissioned as colonel upon the gubernatorial staff. Among notable commands organized at Sacketts Harbor was the Tenth Regiment Heavy Artillery, New York Volunteers, in which Colonel Camp took a deep interest and was instrumental, as war committee for the town of Hounsfield, in filling.
Colonel Camp and others, aided in 1885 the formation of the Jefferson County Historical Society. At that time he was the executor of the estate of the late Elisha Camp, from whose heirs he procured a deed of gift conveying to the society named and to the village of Sacketts Harbor, jointly, the old battleground made famous during the War of 1812. The tract, comprised of several acres fronting on Black River Bay, was dedicated the same year.
Col. Camp was identified with the Presbyterian Church of Sacketts Harbor from his childhood and forward. In 1879 he built a handsome chapel which he presented to the society as a Christmas gift and later a church tower for the reception of a chime of nine bells, the gift of Mrs. Marietta Pickering Hay, of Tarrytown. Her gift was intended to be a memorial to her father, Captain Augusts Pickering.
Col. Camp never married but for years maintained a splendid home, which formerly was occupied by Commodore Melancthon T. Woolsey, and which property came to the Camp family in 1844. He was possessed of genuine musical tastes and ability and his home was adorned with numerous beautiful instruments, particularly the flute. He was an expert performer on that instrument. European travel as well as in America, offered him the opportunity to collect many rare and interesting volumes, works of art and curios.
Source: Gen. & family history of the county of Jefferson, NY by Oakes, Vol. 1, p. 17.
Jonathan Carter, of Champion, NY
Jonathan Carter was the son of Jacob Carter and Mary Barnes Carter. He married on 10 January 1776 to Abigail Moulthrop and lived in Wolcott, CT until 1803 when he moved to Champion, Jefferson Co., NY.
Their children were:
1. Joel b 5 December 1778
2. Ira b 4 May 1781
3. Asa bapt. 4 July 1784
4. Eli b 5 Oct. 1785 - died 1805
Joel and Ira Carter migrated to the West and a record of them is lost. However, Deacon Asa Carter, son of Jonathan and Abigail Carter, was nineteen years of age when he came with his parents to Jefferson County. He was a successful farmer and his farm was among those to receive one of the premiums donated by LeRay to the Agricultural Society. Like his father before him, he was a deacon of the Presbyterian Church.
He married Roxana Root, born 25 July 1784, and she died 27 November 1863. Asa died 16 August 1855. Of their children, four sons and four daughters grew to maturity.
Abigail, the first born 13 December 1798, married Samuel Hubbard on 29 September 1816 and lived and died in Champion.
Huldah, the second, died unmarried at the age of 25.
Asa B. mentioned below.
Tracy R. b 6 September 1808, died 3 February 1846 in Champion.
Lucina b 22 November 1812, became the wife of Alphonso Loomis and died 7 August 1890 at her home near Pleasant Lake.
Mary Roxana, b 7 July 1815, married George Griswold on 21 March 1838 and passed her last days at Milo, Bureau County, Illinois.
William Dennis, b 8 April 1818, was for many years a tanner in Oneida County and died at Utica, NY about 1898.
Newell W. was b 9 November 1822 and was largely interested in tanning in this section and later resided in Binghamton, New York.
Asa Barnes Carter, the third child above, was born in Champion, 7 February 1806 and died of pneumonia, 12 November 1864 in Champion. He married on 12 February 1828 to Sheloma Thompson, daughter of James Thompson, a farmer of Champion, and his wife, Abigail Robinson. Asa was a prominent farmer of the town and active in public affairs. He was an elder and acted as deacon of the Presbyterian Church and usually led the choir in devotional services. Among his interests was the Agricultural Society and its fairs. Although he was attached to the Whit Party in its day, he later joined the Republican Party upon its organization.
Asa's wife died on 24 October 1899. Their children were:
1. Asa T.
2-3. Chester and Lester (twins) b 11 May 1833
4. Frederick C. b 2 December 1839
5. Arthur Lee b 13 May 1849; d 9 September 1870 in Champion.
Chester became a prominent businessman in Hannibal, Missouri and a deacon of the Presbyterian Church. Lester and Frederick C. were residents of Champion and were the last of the family who resided on the parental homestead.
Asa Thompson Carter, son of Asa B. and Sheloma Carter, was born 23 October 1828 in Champion; he died in Watertown 18 March 1893. He was the first station agent at Great Bend, and did so for nine years. Both he and his wife were affiliated with the Disciples' Church and he was an active Republican. A justice of the peace for 20 years, he had held most of the town offices and was a deputy sheriff for over 20 years. On 1 January 1850, he married Amanda Cross; she was born 24 February 1833 in Antwerp, NY.
Jude Cross, Amanda's father, came from Berkshire, MA and settled in Antwerp early in the 19th century. In the early days, Jude taught school in Rutland and served as surveyor and justice of the peace in Antwerp. He died at Great Bend on 14 July 1865 at 71 years. His wife, Sophia Fairbanks was a daughter of Silas Fairbanks and descendant of Jonathan Fairbanks, who settled in Dedham, MA in 1632.
Asa and Amanda Cross Carter were the parents of three children:
1. Imogene M.; she married Zuriel Sarvay and resided in Carthage
2. A. Bion; married 17 October 1883 to Lelia M. Wentworth, b 29 Dec. 1864 in Newport, Herkimer, NY. She was the daughter of Charles O. and Melissa (Windsor) Wentworth. Parents of three daughters: Lulu Irene, Helen Wentworth, Erma Loise
3. Cora A.; married Fred A. Hall and resided in Elmira, NY
Source: Gen. & family history of Jeff. Co., NY by Oakes, Vol., 1, p. 55.
Nehemiah Ball Family
Nehemiah Ball, son of Nathaniel and Esther Ball, was born in 1756, and married Esther Sallee at Connecticut Farms. He was first sergeant of an artillery company in the Revolutionary Army, whose muster roll is still preserved by his descendants in Watertown, NY. In 1796, he moved with his family to Frankfort, Herkimer County, NY, and died in June 1847 at Pultney, Steuben County, NY. His wife died in 1816 in Rutland, NY. She was the mother of nine children. The sixth of these, Sinecy, is mentioned further.
BPC: Nehemiah Ball, from DAR site Ancestor # A005483, pension S12946
Elihu, second child and eldest son of Nehemiah and Esther (Sallee) Ball, was born July 25, 1784, in Elizabeth, New Jersey and was twelve years old when the family went to Frankfort, NY. The father had purchased this land without having seen it, and when he located upon it there was was work for all in clearing up the land and making a home. Having grown to man's estate, in the fall of 1805, he visited Jefferson County and bought land in the town of Rutland, in September. On the sixth of March, 1806, he left Herkimer County and arrived at his Rutland purchase four days later. He describes Watertown as being a hamlet of a dozen small houses then. He cleared 25 acres and built a log house and barn; the then sold his farm and bought another adjoining of 80 acres which he cleared and improved. He settled on the second place in the spring of 1810. It is apparent that he must have been industrious, as he had accomplished much in the wilderness in the first four years.
In December 1812 he volunteered in a cavalry company and served three months about Sacketts Harbor and Cape Vincent, with the rank of sergeant. In June 1814 he went with his team to Buffalo, helping to convey a regiment for the defense of that point against possible British invasion. Returning to Sacketts Harbor in September of the same year, he kept a boarding house at that place until peace was proclaimed in March 1815. He then returned to his farm in Rutland, on which he built a frame barn in 1817 and a house in 1822. Four of his children were born in the log house, which was replaced by a frame building in 1822. Having retired from active farming in favor of his son in 1856, he moved with the latter to Watertown, where he continued to reside until his death on February 19, 1871.
He was married November 22, 1804 to Anna, daughter of William Pelton. She was born August 25, 1785 in Saybrook, Connecticut and was in her tenth year when Mr. Pelton brought his family to Frankfort, NY. He came in the early spring with four yokes of oxen and two sleighs, the journey consuming three weeks. Mrs. Ball died February 10, 1857, at the home of her son in Watertown.
Children of Elihu Ball and Anna Pelton Ball:
Maria, born January 1, 1806 at Frankfort, NY, and died September 10, 1889 while visiting friends at Clayton. She was then the widow of John P. Wilson of Watertown, whom she married on January 17, 1827. He was a farmer in the Town of Watertown and died there. They were the parents of five children. Mary, their second child, married Albert Hall. George Almon resides at Burr's Mills. Melissa, wife of Byron Monroe died. Jennie married Byron Champlin and resides at Bowling Green, Ohio.
Anna Elizabeth Wilson, the eldest child, was born July 10, 1830 in Watertown, NY and remained at home with her parents until February 7, 1850 when she married Phineas Collins. He was born June 17, 1820 in Martinsburg, Lewis County, NY, and in manhood engaged in farming in Watertown, NY until April 1871 when he located in the city of Watertown. He death was on August 27, 1892 and his wife passed away July 13, 1877. Mr. Collins was an old-time Democrat, and made no change in his allegiance.
Children of Phineas Collins and Anna Elizabeth Wilson:
1. Clark Wilson Collins ws born April 15, 1851 in the town of Watertown and married
Frances Ann Thurston, daughter of Pierson K. Thurston of Burr's Mills.
2. Flora Melissa Collins was born July 19, 1860 in the town of Watertown and married on June 17, 1880 to Frank Amos Baker. He was born July 4, 1851 in Gouverneur, St. Lawrence County, NY. He was an earnest Republicam and member of Watertown Lodge No. 49, of the Masonic order. He is a machinist and resides in the city of Watertown.
a) Cora Ann b Aug. 6, 1881 d March 24, 1883.
b)Roy Eugene b May 24, 1885; employed by his uncle, George C. Baker, a merchant of Watertown.
c)Arthur Frank b August 24, 1887; died January 11, 1897
d)Gladys Mildred May b March 11, 1893; a student in city schools
e)Frank Collins Baker, second child and eldest son, was born March 13, 1883 in Watertown, NY.
Samantha, born October 9, 1807 became the wife of Pliny Monroe and died May 5, 1887 in Watertown, being then a widow.
Juliette, born March 27, 1809, married Samuel Payne and died at Tylerville June 17, 1881.
William P. born November 24, 1810, was a farmer in Rutland where he died April 10, 1902.
Henry Morris Ball, son of Elihu, was born June 27, 1820, the last of the children born in the log house. He died March 19, 1904 of heart failure. Although he did not serve in the Civil War, he sent a soldier in his place. He was a leading member of the Universalist Church and one of the most prominent and progressive citizens of Watertown. He married on March 9, 1843 to Mehitable Burnham, who was born in May 1822 at Burr's Mills, daughter of Nathaniel Burnham of that place. She died April 22, 1871, leaving three children. The first, Helen Medora, was born April 24, 1845 and was the widow of John J. Lamon of Watertown. Alice B., born November 2, 1846, was the widow of William W. Scott and lived in New York City. Wooster O. Mr. Ball married for his second wife on September 17, 1873 to Eunice E. Drullard, who was born May 27, 1841 in Albany, NY. She was the daughter of Solomon and Eunice (Ingalls)Drullard, of French and English descent respectively. Children from this second marriage were: William Drullard Ball, Fred Henry Ball b Nov. 10, 1876 and died at age three. Arthur Rea Ball and Margaret Lorain Ball, born March 29, 1888, who lives at home.
Wooster Orin Ball, of the first marriage of Henry Morris Ball, was born September 26, 1853 in Rutland, Jeff. Co. and reared in Watertown. Before he was 30, he became interested in the idea of making paper and in 1887 built a pulp mill at Black River, which he operated for ten years. In January 1897 he organized the Tissue Paper Co., of Carthage. He married on June 21, 1859 in Oswego, NY, to Kate L. Baker, daughter of George and Cynthia (Mattison) Baker, natives respectively of Watertown and Scriba, NY. Mrs. Ball's grandfather, Thomas Baker, was an early resident of Watertown. Children of Wooster and Kate Ball: Marguerite Mattison b November 2, 1886; Gladys Morgan b July 12 1888; William Burnham born January 18, 1891.
William Drullard Ball, of the second marriage of Henry Morris Ball, was born April 21, 1875 in Watertown. He married on July 19, 1898 to Eva Weber, daughter of John and Carrie Weber, of German extraction. Mrs. Ball was a native of Carthage, NY and member of Grace Episcopal Church.
Arthur Rea Ball, of the second marriage of Henry Morris Ball, was born Nov. 6, 1877 in Watertown, NY. He joined with his brothers in the papermaking business. On 14 June 1899 he married to Anna Irving Hollis. She was born in Canton, NY on 11 Dec. 1878, the daughter of Charles J. and Martha A. Harris Hollis. Mrs. Ball is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Carthage, where the family resides. Mr. Ball attends the Universalist Church.
Lucippa Ann born June 2, 1824 and died December 9, 1885; she was the wife of Charles Pickett of Tylerville and both died in Watertown, where Mr. Pickett was in business for a number of years.
Sinecy Ball, the sixth of the nine children of Nehemiah and Esther (Sallee) Ball, was born on March 3, 1791 in Elizabeth, New Jersey and was taken by his parents to Frankfort, Herkimer Co, NY, when he was five. Before reaching his majority, he came to Jefferson County and spent a few years in Rutland where he married. He was a soldier in the War of 1812 for which he was granted a pension a few years before his death. In 1817 he located in the Town of Theresa, being one of the first permanent residents. He settled on the Military Road two miles west of the falls, cleared up the land and became one of the prosperous farmers and influential citizens of his town. He was an officer at Sackets Harbor in 1812-14 and subsequently a colonel of militia. He sold his original farm in 1836 and bought another in the same town and passed his last years on his third farm near Hyde Lake in the town of Theresa, where he died July 1, 1877 in his 87th year.
On March 25, 1813 he married Charlotte Towne, who was born September 4, 1792 in New Hampshire, daughter of Francis and Relief Towne. They were early residents of Rutland, NY. Col. Ball's family included seven sons and one daughter, who grew to maturity. Two are now living and the first three died in infancy.
1. Warren, born May 13, 1818; died at Centralia, Illinois.
2. Edward b May 30, 1820 in Theresa. In 1877 he purchased a farm in Watertown, which became the residence of his sons, Henry C. and John B. Ball. Edward died at Watertown, NY on 1 October, 1883. On Jan. 6, 1843 he married Eliza Howell. She was born in Champion on Dec. 5, 1823 and died Dec. 29, 1902. Her parents were William and Mary (Raymond) Howell.
They were the parents of eight children:
a)Jane Eliza b Sept. 3, 1844 in Rutland
b)Byron Edward b June 14, 1847; married Nov. 23, 1869 to Lovica Wadley, daughter of James Wadley. She was born Oct. 19, 1946 and d June 11, 1903; their son, Arthur Boynton Ball. Arthur Boynton Ball was born Nov. 19, 1873 in Watertown. He married on Oct. 13, 1897 to Nora Anna Fralick, b Oct. 10, 1877 in Worth, Jeff. Co., daughter of Adam and Adelaide (Washington) Fralick. Their son, Keith Adam Byron b June 23, 1904.
c)Herbert William b Dec. 9, 1849; died at 35 unmarried
d)Anna Jennette b Sept. 4, 1853 in Watertown; died in her 10th year
e)Lucy Ann b Nov. 25, 1855; married 20 March 1879 to George B. Simmons he died April 7, 1891. Their children: Edith M. b Aug. 1, 1883 and Edward D., b Nov. 13, 1888 and d Aug. 22, 1893
f)Charles Gardner Ball b March 17, 1859 in Rutland died at 16
g)Henry C. was born June 26, 1861 in Rutland. He married on Oct. 27, 1885 to Mertilla C. Horn, daughter of Thomas and Angeline Horn. She was born March 8, 1865 on Wolf Island, St. Lawrence River. Their children: Ada Horn b April 7, 1890 and Beulah A. b Nov. 27, 1898.
h)John B. was born April 23, 1866 in Watertown.
3. Egbert b March 27, 1822, died near Hyde Lake
4. Willis b April 21, 1824, died at Plessis
5. Charles b May 3, 1826 died in Theresa
6. Chauncey b April 15, 1831 lived on father's homestead where he died
7. Wilson F. b June 30, 1834, now a Methodist clergyman and located at Tupper Lake.
8. Emeline b July 14, 1828; married David G. Collins and now the widow of Henry Cough. Resides at Cape Vincent.
Source: Gen. & family history of Jeff. Co., NY by Oakes, Vol., 1, p 63.
Moses Merrill was the son of Moses Merrill and born about 1733 at West Hartford. He was a farmer there and died there in 1796. His second wife was Waitstill Heth, she born about 1744.
Their children were:
1. Samuel b June 21, 1774 at Sandisfield, Massachusetts
2. Mary b February 29, 1776; married Samuel Rowley
3. Waitstill b June 1, 1778; married Nicholas Lewis of Champion, Jefferson Co., NY
4. Miner b August 25, 1781; came to Champion in the spring of 1804.
5. Moses Cook b June 3, 1785.
6. Elizabeth b 1790; died before she was ten years of age.
Miner, the fourth child above, married Betsey Cody of Tolland, CT on October 6, 1803. The following spring they came to Champion from Connecticut, bringing their household goods on a sled drawn by a yoke of oxen with a horse in the lead.
Their children were:
8. Albert A.
Orson Merrill, the 6th child of Miner and Betsey Merrill, was born September 16, 1809 in Champion and lived all of his life in that town. He married on March 26, 1835 to Emeline Fitts. She was born April 19, 1811 and died July 19, 1880. Orson died February 16, 1896. Their children were Harlon O., Emily M. and Seward W.
Seward W. Merrill, the third child of Orson Merrill and Betsey, was born November 22, 1850 and was the only survivor of his father's children. Seward married on October 7, 1885 to Eva L. Martin. She was born February 16, 1860 and died December 27, 1901.
Their children were:
1. Lucille Emily b May 1, 1887
2. Vera Anna b Sept. 4, 1891
3. Emeline Charille b March 3, 1894
Seward was active in church, Sunday school work and the temperance cause. He maintained the organization of the Prohibition party in Champion and the county. For six years he was excise commissioner and ten years president of the Champion Temperance Union.
Moses Cook Merrill, the fifth child of Moses and Waitstill Merrill was born June 3, 1785 in West Hartford, CT and came to Champion about 1804. He settled one and one-half miles from the present village of Great Bend, where he died in 1839. He married Philena Crandall, daughter of Abel and Elizabeth Crandall, who were early pioneers of Champion After his death, the widow, Philena, lived in Champion where she died in 1856. He was a member of the Baptist Church and they were the parents of 14 children, two of whom died in infancy.
1. Waitstill; married Wilder Reed and died in the town of Philadelphia, NY near
2. Miner C. lived and died on the homestead being supervisor of the town at the time of his death.
3. Samuel died in W. Carthage
4. Eliza died in Champion, unmarried
5. Lucretia died in Champion, unmarried
6. Sibyl married Ira Sweet and died at Lynhurst, Canada
7. Harriet died in Hammond, St. Lawrence Co., as the wife of Joseph Lafave
8. John died in Hammond, also.
9. Athelia became the wife of Rev. Jonathan Dake, a Protestant Methodist clergyman and now resides at Stambough, Iowa
10. Mary Sophronia became Mrs. Samuel Phillips of Hammond, NY; deceased
11. Eveline married Ronastus Sliter and died at Lynhurst, Canada
12. Lawrence Cook Merrill
Lawrence was the second child and eldest son of Moses Cook Merrill and born 1811 in Champion; he died in that town in November of 1849. He settled as a young man at Antwerp at the present Keene's Station, where he labored to clear up and develop a farm. He was seriously injured by a pair of wild steers while hauling a load of wood to a poor man and suffered for eleven years until his death. Lawrence married in the spring of 1834 to Lovina Miller who was born on 4 July 1809 on Martin Street, near West Carthage, daughter of Moses and Sally (Martin) Miller, natives of Vermont. Lovina died on 11 Dec. 1877 Sally (Martin) Miller was a daughter of Captain Joseph Martin, a Revolutionary War soldier, who reached the age of 97 years. And his wife, Anna, attained the same age. Sarah Martin Miller was born in 1785 in MA and died in 1866, wife of Moses Martin. Anna Martin, wife of Joseph Martin, was born 1759 and died 1852 and Captain Joseph Martin was born 1755 and died in 1844; both buried in Hillside Cemetery in Jefferson County. See Will of Anna Martin, this site. Lawrence and Lovina were the parents of two sons--Erwin Moses and Samuel Lawrence.
Erwin Moses Merrill, son of Lawrence and Lovina, was born October 16, 1836 in Antwerp and was a small child when his father died. Erwin enlisted in October 1861 in Co. I., 94th Regiment, NY Volunteers and was elected second lieutenant. After the First Battle of Bull Run, his weight dropped from 170 pounds to 107 pounds and was so incapacitated that he was advised to resign to recuperate, which he did on September 13, 1862. While recovering he entered General Casey's Military School in Philadelphia to perfect himself in military science and after graduation was commissioned by President Lincoln on June 6, 1864 to a captaincy in the regular army. His brother Dr. S. L. Merrill served in the Civil War and the brothers were reunited in the 17th at Nashville, Tennessee where they served near each other during the remainder of the war. (descendants will want to read about his long and distinguished career during the Civil War). Captain Merrill married at Hailesboro, NY to Ellen M. Gates*, who was a native of St. Lawrence County. She was the daughter of Isaiah and Susan (Waldo) Gates, natives of the county, where she was born on November 3, 1849. Her death occurred at the age of 36 years, 6 months on Feb. 1, 1888. Erwin died on September 10, 1901. Captain Merrill and Ellen were the parents of seven children, but three are mentioned here:
1. Ray Waldo
2. Maude, a teacher
3. Ethel a student in Potsdam Normal School
Samuel Lawrence Merrill, M.D., and brother of Erwin, was born March 29, 1838 in Antwerp and was six months old when his parents moved to Champion. He read medicine with Dr. George N. Hubbard and later attended medical lectures at the Albany Medical College. On March, 1864, he enlisted as a contract surgeon and served in the Cumberland and Number Fourteen Hospitals in Nashville. He received his medical diploma in 1865. He then joined the 17th US Infantry, in which his brother was the captain. His discharge from the war was in May 1866. For about eight years following, he was engaged in the drug business and then resumed the practice of medicine at Carthage in the fall of 1875. At Mannsville he practiced for ten years and then returned to Carthage upon the death of Dr. Hubbard where he took charge of the practice. In 1896 he again acquired the drug store which his brother had conducted. Dr. Merrill was a member of the Baptist Church and the Masonic Order. On Feb. 25, 1864, he married Mary E. Osborn who was a native of New Jersey, and daughter of Jonathan Osborn. Jonathan Osborn was for several years a farmer in the town of Wilna and a deacon of the Baptist Church of Carthage. Mary died on September 20, 1875 survived by one of her three children. Lawrence, the eldest died at the age of ten years and the youngest at seven months. Anna, their second child married the Rev. J. Foster Wilcox of Syracuse; her daughter was Ruth Elizabeth. In 1878, Dr. Merrill married Ellen E. Brown of Elisburg, daughter of Waterman Brown, one of the early farmers of that town, and his wife, Nancy Williams.
Ray Waldo Merrill, son of Erwin Moses Merrill, was born Jan. 28, 1878 in Carthage. He graduated from the Albany Law School on May 30, 1901 and was admitted to the bar at Rochester on July 20, following. His law practice was in Carthage, NY. Ray's affiliation were with Carthage Lodge No. 158 and the Masonic fraternity, as well as the Republican party, and membership in the Baptist Church of Carthage.
*Ellen M. Gates, wife of Captain Erwin M. Merrill, above, was a descendant in the 9th generation of Cornelius Waldo.
Shubael was the son of Shubael Waldo, and born Jan. 10, 1833 in what is now Lisbon, CT and died Sept. 4, 1807 in Herkimer, NY. A tanner by occupation, he lived in various places in NY state. He was with his father at Alstead, NH and moved thence to New York State early in life. There is a tradition that he was a Revolutionary soldier with his eight brothers but no record is found of such service. He married on October 2, 1754 in Mansfield, CT to Priscilla, daughter of Samuel and Betty Smith. She was born Jan. 4, 1734 in Colchester, CT and they had seven children.
Jaram, the fifth child of Shubael and Priscilla Waldo, was born in May 1772 at Herkimer, NY and died in 1841 at Great Bend. He was a farmer in Champion and also was a shoemaker. He married at Rossie, to Lois Kinney who was born in 1775 and died in 1855 in the town of Rutland. They were the parents of nine children.
Shubael, the third child of Jaram and Lois Waldo, was born May 28, 1804 in Herkimer Co., NY and died May 11, 1836 in Hailesboro, St. Lawrence Co., where he was a farmer. He married on May 27, 1827 in Champion to Phoebe Delana Caldwell, of Champion, born May 5, 1809 and died April 1, 1892 in Hailesboro. They were the parents of four children.
Susan, the eldest child of Shubael and Phoebe D. Waldo, was born January 16, 1828 in Champion and died March 28, 1865 at Great Bend. She married on October 15, 1848 in Fowler, NY, to Isaac, son of Arba and Susan (Clintsman) Gates of Hermon, NY where Isaac was born. He died May 30, 1862 in California. Their only child, Ellen M. was born November 3, 1849 and married in Hailesboro to Erwin M. Merrill.
Source: Gen. & family history of Jeff. Co., NY by Oakes, Vol., 1, p 96.
Biography of David Burhans
David Burhans was born November 16, 1775 at North Hackensack, New Jersey and died March 31, 1834 in the town of LeRay, Jefferson County, NY. He was married at Saugerties, NY on July 8, 1798 to Elizabeth Flagler, daughter of Simon Flagler. She was born January 20, 1778 and died March 20, 1855 in LeRay. Soon after his marriage, Mr. Burhans settled in LeRay and bought land on which he lived until his death. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church at Evans Mills. Four of his sons and three daughters grew to adult age.
Gilbert Burhans was born May 15, 1805 at Pleasant Valley, NY and was reared in LeRay. He was married May 29, 1834 to Eliza Lavinia Rice, daughter of Joel P. and Elizabeth Crowner Rice. She was born May 7, 1808 in Champion, and died August 28,1840. For his second wife, Mr. Burhans Married Lucy Clark of Halifax, Vermont. She died October 9, 1846. The only survivor of his two children is Cordelia E., who was the wife of Lester Carter.
Biography of Lester Carter
Lester Carter, a farmer residing near Pleasant Lake, in the town of Champion, is of the sixth generation in descent from Jacob Carter, who settled in Branford, Connecticut, before 1712. At the time of Lester Carter's birth, May 11, 1833, his father, Asa Barnes Carter, lived on the "River Road," east of Great Bend. Until he was sixteen years old, Lester lived there with his parents, attending the district school. The family then moved to the farm now owned by F. C. Carter, between Champion Village and the "Huddle," and Lester subsequently attended a select school maintained in the village. He continued to make his home with his father until his marriage, assisting in the cultivation of the home farm, with the exception of two years when he worked in the pail and tub factory of S. E. Rice at Carthage. In 1859 he bought a farm below Champion village, which he kept and tilled ten years. After selling out he engaged in the manufacture of brick, in partnership with his twin brother, Chester Carter, now a resident of Hannibal, Missouri. Their yard was located below Carthage in the town of Wilna, near the present Houghton brickyard, but the business did not prosper and was soon abandoned.
In July 1871, Mr. Carter acquired one hundred ad forty-eight acres of land where he now resides, on the north side of Pleasant Lake, and has since given his attention to its cultivation. For many years this farm was known as the "Kelner place" and was well improved when it came into possession of Mr. Carter. The house has stood for ninety years, but is in good condition now, having been repaired and kept in order by Mr. Carter, as were the other buildings, including the large barns. The farm is handsomely located and forms an ideal residence for the agriculturalist. Mr. Carter was a member of the Congregational Church at Champion during its existence, and has been a deacon in the society at West Carthage (successor of the Champion Church) more than thirty years. He is a member of Champion Grange , in which he served as chaplain one year. During most of his adult life he has affiliated with the Republican party , but now gives allegiance to the Prohibition party. Of quiet domestic tastes, he has never taken part in political strife, though steadfast in the maintenance of his principles.
He was married September 16, 1857 to Cordelia E. Burnhans, a native of the town of LeRay, daughter of Gilbert and Eliza Burhans. Her mother was a daughter of Joel P. Rice, one of the first settlers of Champion where he located in 1802. A son and daughter complete the family of Mr. Carter, namely: Lila M. and L. J. The former is the wife of George M. Hall of Philadelphia, NY and has two children--Charles Eddy and Eva Loella. L. J. Carter tills his father's farm. He married Carrie O'Hara.
Source: Gen. & family history of Jeff. Co., NY by Oakes, Vol., 1, p. 59
Stephen Lewis was born May 14, 1792, and was the son of Henry Lewis and his first wife, Polly Jackson. Polly Jackson Lewis died in 1807 at age 38 and Henry married three more times. Henry died in 1836 in LaGrange, Ohio.
Stephen Lewis lived nearly all of his life in North Wilna, Jefferson Co., NY. He inherited land, to which he added by purchase and was the owner of 300 acres. In 1825 he built the red house in which he kept hotel during the balance of his life, and which was destroyed in the spring of 1903. It stood a little south of the present hotel building, erected by his son. He was a captain of the local militia, and was a prominent man of the town. He died November 21, 1854. He was married October 26, 1817 to Sophia Ross, who was born April 21, 1794 in Herkimer County, one of a family of eleven children, of Scotch descent. Of their five children, the first and third died before one year old. They were named Amanda and Charles.
Sanford, the second, born November 24, 1820, lived in North Wilna, kept a hotel and died May 19, 1892. He was first married February 11, 1846, to Abigail Kimball, who was born July 24, 1822 and died March 5, 1867. He was married second February 24, 1870, to Audrey Caroline Bigelow, who was born June 24, 1831, and survives him, still residing in the hotel which he built. He was postmaster over 40 years, his incumbency ending with his death.
Silvius, was the fourth child of Stephen Lewis. Myron was the fifth child of Stephen Lewis.
Granson Lewis lived at North Wilna until 1834, when he moved to the center of the town, where the Wilna post office was long located, and built a hotel, which he kept as long as he lived, and in which he died November 14, 1851 at 48 years. The building is still standing and furnishes a home for his grandson, Charles Lewis, on the homestead farm. He purchased 26 acres of land, on which he did some farming in connection with his hotel business and to which his son added, mading the present farm over 100 acres. He sought no part in public affairs, was a Whig in politics, and gave his attention to the care of his family. For several years, he kept the post office, which was continued after his death by his son. He was married April 14, 1828 to Meribah N. Chaffee, a native of Westminster, Vermont and daughter of Zebina and Lucy (Nutting) Chaffee, who moved with oxen from Vermont and settled at Natural Bridge in the pioneer days. Mrs. Lewis was married November 26, 1872 to Orin F. Sanders, whom she survived and died March 18, 1894 at West Carthage at the age of 85 years. She was the mother of two sons and a daughter. Nelson was the eldest. Columbus R. went to California in 1860, and is now a resident of Oakland, in that state. Lucia Ann married John R. Washburn, a prominent citizen of Watertown, shere she died and where he died in 1903.
Nelson Lewis, son of Granson, was born August 7, 1829 in North Wilna, and was five years old when his father moved to Wilna post office. Here he grew up and was 24 years old when his father died. He continued to operate the hotel until the building of railroads and other influences changed the current of travel, when he gave more attention to agriculture. He added to the original domain, and was the possessor of 110 acres, which he tilled with success. He died there October 26, 1887 at 58 years. He was a Republican, from the beginning of that party, and took an intelligent interest in the progress of events, but never sought nor accepted office, other than that of postmaster. He was married December 26, 1851 to Caroline Langstaff a native of Piscataway, New Jersey and daughter of Henry and Marinda Eliza (Pickering) Langstaff, natives of New Jersey and Connecticut respectively. James, the father of Henry Langstaff, was a Revolutionary soldier. Mrs. Lewis survives her husband, and resides in the hotel building erected by him, and is an exemplary member of the Disciples Church.
Of their seven children, four are living.
1. Josephine, the first, died in infancy.
2. Eugene Granson, the second
3. Helen M. lives one mile south of her mother, being the wife of Jared Pierce.
4. Charles E. resides on the home farm
5. Estelle E. married Frank Pennington, and lives north of her native place.
6. Lillian L. died in 1899, while the wife of Wells Timmerman
7. Nelson died at age three
Eugene Granson Lewis was born October 24, 1854, son of Nelson Lewis, in the hotel at Wilna, where his mother and brother now reside. On attaining his majority, his younger brother being then able to assume the responsibilities of the home place, he went to Utica and was there employed five years by a market gardener. Returning to Wilna, he soon acquired his present farm, consisting of 68 acres, near the east line of the town, on which he has made many improvements, including the present farm buildings and residence. He gives considerable attention to the breeding of Jersey cows and keeps from ten to twelve, from which he produces butter for the market. Eugene was a member of the Carthage Grange, of which he has served as overseer, was three years master, and is now assistant steward. With his wife he affiliates with the Universalist Church of Natural Bridge, in which he is a trustee. Eugene married June 8, 1882 to Sedate Hester, daughter of Elisha and Angelica (Clearwater) Fulton, of old Wilna families. The last named is a daughter of Jacob Clearwater, a soldier of the War of 1812, and his wife, Hester Sheley, a native of Johnstown, NY.
Jacob Clearwater was born in Marbletown, Ulster County, NY, a son of Daniel Clearwater. About 1836 he came to Carthage, and some six years later settled on a farm in the town of Wilna, where he died September 4, 1856. His widow died several years later, in Croghan. They had seven children:
1. Abraham, the eldest, born May 3, 1818; lived and died in Ontario, Illinois
2. Maria, who died in girlhood
3. Daniel, born December 2, 1822, lived on the homestead and died there Jan. 14, 1891
4. John, born March 3, 1825, died in young manhood
6. Joseph, born July 16, 1830, settled in Croghan and died there
7. Luke, born September 30, 1833; resided on a farm in Mexico, Otsego County.
Silvius Lewis, the fourth child of Stephen Lewis, was born August 18, 1825, in the hotel kept by his father at North Wilna, and passed his entire life in that place. He in herited 100 acres of land from his father, and purchased 120 more, also inheriting 70 acres on the death of his mother, making his estate cover almost 300 acres, and he was a successful farmer. He served 20 years as assessor of the town. He passed away at his home north of the hotel, April 2, 1878 in his fifty-third year. He was an expert at the games of backgammon and checkers.
Silvius married on February 24, 1852 to Isabel E. Hanson, who survives him and resides with her son on the homestead. She was born May 5, 1830 in Lowville, NY, a daughter of Peter and Anna (Thrall) Hanson, natives of Hartford, Connecticut. Anna Thrall was a daughter of Jesse Thrall, a Revolutionary soldier. Three children came to Silvius and Isabel E. Lewis:
1. Orville Adolphus, born March 24, 1853, resides in Antwerp
2. Stephen Sidney
3. Henry H.
Stephen Sidney, son of Silvius Lewis, was born November 24, 1854, on the farm at North Wilna, where he resided all his life, until his removal to Philadelphia, NY, in December 1903. He married August 7, 1880 to Miss Dolly L. Mack, who was born June 11, 1858, in the town of Wilna, a daughter of Chester and Mary Ann (Tooly) Mack, natives respectively of Antwerp and Wilna. Chester Mack was a son of Carmus and Martha (McCloud) Mack, the latter of Scotch birth and both early settlers in Wilna. Mary Ann Tooly was a daughter of Horace and Dolly (Olds) Tooly, natives of Vermont, the latter of whom lived to be 100 years old.
Henry H. Lewis, the youngest son of Silvius, was born April 26, 1861, in the house where he now lives. He married December 24, 1900 to Miss Kate N. Randall, who was born September 25, 1869 at Wood's and they are the parents of one son, Henry Silvius, born December 18, 1902.
Myron Lewis, the youngest child of Stephen Lewis, was born March 25, 1828 in the hotel kept by his father at North Wilna. He purchased 100 acres of land at age 19. He added 20 acres and developed a fine farm, until his death on March 12, 1892. In 1883 he built the square house now standing on his farm, on lot 855. On November 26, 1846, before he was 19 years old, he married Mary Frances DeWolf, who was born in August 1831 in New York City and died December 5, 1885. They were the parents of ten children, all of whom are living.:
1. Julia; married William Gates and lives in Schenectady, NY
2. Augustus P., a farmer in the town of Wilna
3. Adelaide; married Nelson Twining and lives in Copenhagen, Lewis Co., NY
4. Cornelia; married William Gray of Utica
6. Sophia; married John Dickson, a farmer of Antwerp
7. Sanford; a resident of Harrisville, Lewis Co., NY
8. Florence; married Cranson Scott, a farmer on Alexandria Road, Wilna
9. Frank; resident of Alpine, Lewis Co.
10.Luella; Mrs. Alexis Smith, resident near Natural Bridge in town of Wilna
On November 10, 1887, Mr. Lewis married Harriet (Timmerman) widow of Packard.
Augustus Platt Lewis, eldest son of Myron Lewis, was born August 9, 1849 at North Wilna, in the red hotel, and soon after his birth his father moved to the farm. He married on September 15, 1875 to Miss Bertha Gordon, who was born April 14, 1848, in Oldenburg, Germany, daughter of Frederick Gordon. Her mother died when she was an infant. In 1860 she came with her father to Cape Vincent. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis have a son, Gray Augustus, born July 12, 1880 who resides with his parents. He married December 24, 1902 to Miss Mabel Kinne, born March 23, 1884 at Antwerp, daughter of George and Nellie (Cooper) Kinne, natives of the town of Philadelphia, now residents of Antwerp.
Myron Lewis, fifth child of Myron Lewis, was born September 1, 1855 on the farm between Wilna and North Wilna post office. He married on June 11, 1879 to Julia Fulton, adopted daughter of Simeon Fulton, an old resident of Wilna. They had two sons and a daughter: Eon Fulton, Lyle V. and Larilla Frances, all at home.
William Randall (Nelson Randall)
The earliest ancestor of the Randall family, of which Mrs. Henry H. Lewis, is a representative, was Benajah Randall, whose son, William Randall, was born June 11, 1788 in Vermont. William removed from that state to Herkimer Co., NY where he died in 1801. They were the parents of five children:
1. Dr. Samuel, who resided in the west, and was the father of one son
3. Benajah, father of three children:
b. Benajah a resident of Oswego
c. Maria married Hiram Wait
4. Orphia married John Bemis
5. Willard, died early in life
William Randall, the second son of William, married Amanda Ross, and their children were as follows:
1. Reuben Benajah born March 1, 1811; died November 23, 1873
2. Clarina, born March 1, 1813; married John G. Hubbard. she died Aug. 17, 1883
3. John Zinah, second son of William and Amanda Randall, was born May 17, 1815, and was killed at the second battle of Fredericksburg, December 12, 1862. He married November 17, 1840, to Almena Brooks, daughter of Julius and Sally (Otis) Brooks. Almena Brooks Randall died June 1, 1896.
a. Artemus Asahel b March 3, 1842; wounded by a shell at the
second battle of Fredericksburg; died December 13, 1862.
b. Nelson W., father of Mrs. Lewis
c. Esther J., born March 11, 1849; married October 25, 1870 to William H. Ormiston
d. Ella A., born July 27, 1859; married February 18, 1885 to Silas Monroe
4. William, Jr., born July 13, 1817
5. Sophia, born April 22, 1819; died May 24, 1879
6. Samuel Nicholas, born June 24, 1821; died October 5, 1846
7. Hezekiah Streeter, born April 26, 1824, resided in Gouverneur
8. Artemus Asahel, born May 5, 1826; died July 17, 1826
9. Harvey Eleazer, born April 29, 1828; died November 13, 1857
10. Mark Anthony, born January 30, 1831; died February 7, 1842
11. Noble Watson, born March 26, 1834; died July 11, 1865, before Richmond during the Civil War
Nelson W. Randall, father of Mrs. Lewis and second son of John Zinah and Almena (Brooks) Randall, was born February 22, 1844 and died December 22, 1892. The early years of his life were spent on a farm at Woods, and after his marriage to Ellen Smith of LaFargeville, NY on December 26, 1867, he went to Virginia, where he remained for two years. He located in Nyack, NY and a planing mill in Hoboken, NY where he was killed by plant machinery. Nelson W. and Ellen Randall were the parents of two children:
1. Kate N., wife of Henry H. Lewis
2. Edwin C., born June 28, 1872
Source: Genealogical and family history of the county of Jefferson, NY, Volume 1, by R. A. Oakes.
Copyright 2020 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page