The Kibling family is of New England origin. John Kibling, a native of Chester, Vermont, came to Ellisburgh among the pioneers. He married at Chester, Vermont to Hannah Field, who belonged to the family of which Cyrus W. Field was an honored member. John Kibling was a pensioner from service in the War of 1812. Their son, Stillman Kibling, was born 2 May 1802 in Chester, Vermont and was a boy at the time the family moved to Ellisburgh. Jerry Kibling was a second son, who came to Jefferson County with the parents. Daughter, Betsey, married John W. Phelps.
Stillman's life was spent in agricultural pursuits and he was the owner of a farm of two hundred acres situated near Ellisburgh Village. He married in 1834 to Eliza Boit, who was born 22 March 1811 in Springfield, MA daughter of Christian and Catharine (Weaser) Boit. Her family was among the first settlers in Ellisburgh. Mr. Kibling died 19 June 1891 at the advanced age of 89. He is remembered with gratitude among those who contributed largely to the upbuilding and prosperity of the town. Both he and his wife were personally much loved and esteemed. Eliza died 26 July 1880.
Children of Stillman and Eliza (Boit) Kibling:
1. Emily S. (Mrs. Dr. Anson S. Thompson) of Ellisburgh, Jeff. Co., NY' , married 10 Nov. 1858 at
2. Fisher N., also of Ellisburgh, married Catherine___; daughter, Nora B., died 9 April 1868 at 1 year, 11 months, 23 days.
3. Lodema E. (Mrs. Isaac W. Decker); Isaac was born 8 Jan. 1838, son of John Decker and Phebe Sturdevant. Isaac served in the Civil War and they married in 1865. Their son, Edward J., was born in 1870.
4. Helen M. who married Philip Millard of Ellisburg, son of Gardner and Lavina (Phillips) Millard. He was born 20 Apri 1835 in Ellisburgh. He married Helen on 2 July 1872. Helen was born 16 April 1842 in Ellisburgh.
5. Stewart L. of Richland
Children of John W. Phelps and Betsey (Kibling) Phelps surname:
1. Silas R. married Nancy, daughter of John & Jessie (Nichols) Patrick of Dexter; two children:
John and Norris K. Silas and Nancy were married on 11 Feb. 1869 by Rev. J. H. Stewart.
2. Amelia A.
3. Fanny E.
4. Catharine J.
5. Henry B.
6. Fisher K.
7. Anna M.
8. Carrie E.
9. Austin A., born in Sandy Creek, Jeff. Co., NY; married Frances, daughter of James E. and Susan (Livermore) Gilmore, of Dexter Village. One son, Charles A.
Researched by M. Sapienza;
Sources: Child's, BMD records on site, Vol. 1 of Oakes
Copyright 2020 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page