A detailed 1864 town MAP showing residents.
An 1864 map of The Village of Henderson
1918 TOWN OF HENDERSON FARM MAP
Henderson NY Historical Sociey & Museum
A list of POSTMASTERS in the town in existing and discontinued postoffices.
1810 Census - Town of Henderson
1820 Census - Town of Henderson
Town of Henderson 1890 Census of Civil War Veterans
1863 Civil war draft and exemption list
Civil War Soldiers Buried in the Town of Henderson
Family sketches from CHILD'S GAZETTEER for the Town of Henderson.
Child's Business Directory for the Town of Henderson.
Haddock Family Sketches - Town of Henderson
Bartlett's Cemetery Inscriptions for the Town of Henderson.
Vital Records 1847-1849 for the Town of Henderson.
|Town Historian||ERIC ANDERSON||(315)955-2800 (Daytime)||PO Box 40, Henderson 13650|
|Town Clerk||Website||(315)938-5542||11120 NYS Rt 178, PO Box 259, Henderson 13650|
|Henderson Free Library||Mary Bidwell||938-7169||8939 NYS Rt 178, Henderson 13650|
|Henderson Historical Society||ERIC ANDERSON||938-7163||PO Box 322, Henderson 13650|
Historical Association of South Jefferson
When Benjamin Wright surveyed the town now known as Henderson in 1796, he called it "a pretty good town," with a good harbor, plenty of desirable timber in the interior, and fine mill sites below the pond, though none above. He called Stony Creek the largest stream in the township, and mentioned its pond and the 400 acre cranberry marsh about it. In 1801 the township was subdivided into lots, and sales of the lots began that year, but no permanent settlement or improvement was made until the following year. Henderson, named for William Henderson, the original owner of what is now the Towns of Pinckney in Lewis County, as well as Henderson and Rutland and part of Worth, is bounded by Lake Ontario on the west and north. Adams is its eastern neighbor, and Ellisburgh lies to the south. Henderson's villages include Henderson, once called Salisbury's Mills, Henderson Harbor, and Smithville, which lies partly in the Town of Adams.
History of the Town of Henderson linked from Shirley Farone's Home Page taken from CHILD'S GAZETTEER OF JEFFERSON COUNTY by HAMILTON CHILDS, published in 1890, transcribed by Shirley Farone.
History of the Town of Henderson, taken from A HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK by FRANKLIN B. HOUGH, A. M., M.D., linked from Shirley Farone's Home Page.
A List of People who contributed information concerning the Town of Henderson in 1878 to Durant and Peirce's History of Jefferson County.
History of the Town of Henderson, from Durant and Peirce's History of Jefferson County, 1878.
|ACRES OF LAND|
|Number of Dwellings||401|
|Number of Families||430|
|Number of Districts||13|
|Working Oxen and Calves||1,621|
|Bushels of Grain|
|Tons of Hay||3,219 1/2|
|Bushels of Potatoes||12,016|
|Bushels of Apples||24,532|
|Pounds of Butter||136,048|
|Pounds of Cheese||36,937|
|YARDS OF DOMESTIC MANUFACTURE||2,796|
Names of the early settlers
Bishop, Capt. John
Bishop, Rev. John F.
Bishop, Rev. Luther
Bishop, Rev. Sylvester
Carpenter, John B.
Chapman, John T.
Clark, George W.
Farman, John H.
Harris, Harrissa (Harriet)
Hitchcock, Joseph W.
Holley, Theron I
|Hungerford, Amasa |
Jones, Russell M.
Kullinger, Luther S.
Morseman, Martin T.
Reed, Stephen |
Spencer, James Jr.
White, James S.
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Copyright 2009 - 2015 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project