1. JOHN ANDREW McCOMBS was born in the state of New York on 13 Aug. 1772 Stone Arabia NY. . He married on 27 Jan. 1795 in German Flats NY MAGDALENA FRANK, daughter of Judge Frank of Herkimer Co., NY. John McCombs died at the residence of his son, Andrew, in Lyme, Jefferson Co., NY on 22 May 1849 and his wife, Magdalena, died there in 1865.
Their children were
2 i ANDREW MCCOMBS, born 31 January 1802 in Litchfield, Herkimer Co., NY.
3 ii MARY McCOMBS
4 iii ELIZABETH McCOMBS
2. ANDREW MCCOMBS, born 31 January 1802 in Litchfield, Herkimer Co., NY. Andrew married in 1836 at Clayton, Jefferson Co NY to EMILY DICKEY and they had two children—Lucy and Amelia. ANDREW McCOMBS died at the homestead in 1888 and his wife, Emily B., born 1817 and passed away in 1899.
Children of Andrew McCombs and Emily Dickey: (See Phillips Family this site and below)
LUCY McCOMBS born Brownville 30 Aug 1837; married SETH ORVILLE FLANSBURGH, son of PETER and CYNTHIA (HAYES) FLANSBURGH. Seth born 28 June 1835 in Clayton, Jefferson Co., NY. Was a miller at Depauville and worked there and at Redwood for a number of years. Later moved to Michigan where he became a farmer.
Source: Oakes Hist of Jefferson Co NY
3. MARY McCOMBS of Perch River, Jefferson Co., NY, was the daughter of JOHN and MAGDALENA FRANK McCOMBS. She married, as his second wife, to E(I)RVIN CALKINS, son of ASHAHEL CALKINS, a native of New York State, who died in Oswego Co., and wife, LENA SAVINS. Ashahel Calkins and Lena Savins were the parents of 12 children, one of whom, SETH CALKINS, married NANCY HOLMES and who also had 12 children. Their son, ERVIN CALKINS, married first to ABIGAIL WRIGHT and they had two children—Ann Eliza and Jane.
Ervin Calkins married second MARY MCCOMBS: (See and Child's Gazetteer and Migrations Part 57 for Calkins) Child's Gazeteer says of Irvin that he was born in Montreal CA on 16 July 1803. His parents had removed to Canada from the United States and in 1812 Ervin returned to the US. At 25 he married Mary McCombs of Pamelia and they lived in Perch River in the Township of Brownville. Ervin died in 1888.
Children of Ervin Calkins and Mary McCombs:
6 i HARRIET CALKINS
7 ii GEORGE CALKINS; married SARAH SPICER, born 16 Nov. 1836. Sarah died in 1932; buried Perch River. George born 1826 and died 1864. Served in the Civil War and buried in Perch River. See Migrations Part 67 for Spicer lineage.
8 iii HENRY CALKINS; corporal in the Civil War; died Antioch Church VA.
9 iv HANNAH CALKINS
10 v MARY CALKINS
11 vi WALTER CALKINS; served in the Civil War; married CHRISTINA E. LOWE, daughter of JACOB and BETSEY (HANCOCK) LOWE of Brownville.
Children of Walter Calkins and Christina E. Lowe:
a. GEORGE E. CALKINS
b. EVA M. CALKINS
c. ARTHUR G. CALKINS
12. JOHN CALKINS was born at Perch River on 10 May 1845; educated in the common schools and attended Gouverneur Seminary; on 11 Mar. 1869 he married JULIANA ALLEN, youngest daughter of CYRUS ALLEN of Perch River. - one son and two daughters: Lucy A.; Jesse T. P., Mary L. LUCY A. ALLEN married T. H. NUNN of Orleans and they had a daughters, Nellie. John lived on Wells Island and was a school teacher and farmer.
13 vii EDMOND CALKINS
14 viii TAYLOR CALKINS married CLARA ROZALIE VAN CAMP.
4. ELIZABETH McCOMBS was the daughter of JOHN and MAGDALENA FRANK McCOMBS of Utica, NY. (See above) John Frank, Magdalena's father, was a judge and the village of Frankfort near Utica NY was named in his honor. Judge Frank had a family of 15 children, eleven of whom reached maturity. Mrs. Frank died at 76 years. Elizabeth McCombs married LOUIS PHILLIPS, of Johnstown NY who later moved with his father in 1835 to Pamelia in Jefferson County, then to Perch River.
Louis died in 1863 at 76 years and Elizabeth in 1868 at 73 years.
Elizabeth and Louis Phillips had 11 children:
Children of Elizabeth McCombs and Louis (Lewis) Phillips:
15 i MARY ANN PHILLIPS died at 84 years
16 ii SOPHIA PHILLIPS died at 80 years
17 iii ANDREW PHILLIPS, born 17 Mar. 1822; married 15 Oct. 1846 to ALMETA M. INGERSON, born in LeRay, NY of DARWIN INGERSON. They had four children: Helen, Horace, Martha and Hattie. Almeta died 20 July 1864. Andrew died 3 July 1876.
18 iv SALLY PHILLIPS died at 76 years
19 v BENJAMIN PHILLIPS; resident of Michigan
20 vi CATHERINE PHILLIPS; married JAMES RICE of Dexter NY
21 vii CAROLINE PHILLIPS; married MANUEL GROWER
22 viii CHARLES PHILLPS; became a resident of Michigan
23 ix HIRAM PHILLIPS; lived near HORACE A. PHILLIPS
24 x THOMAS J. PHILLIPS; resident of Cape Vincent.
JOHN PHILLIPS was a resident of Johnstown, NY. He then moved to Pamelia and was a pioneer settler. He purchased a tract of land in the wilderness and there he resided for a long period of time. Until his death at 76 years. He lived with his son, Benjamin. His wife was SOPHRONIA and they had five children:
LOUIS PHILLIPS; married Elizabeth McCombs (see above)
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page