EZEKIEL GARDNER Jr. (25 Aug 1738 , d 9 Aug 1814) married May 1764 SUSANNAH CONGDON (born 24 Aug 1744 N Kingstown RI and died 15 Apr 1830 in North Kingston, Rhode Island.) They were the parents of EZEKIAL M. GARDNER who married RUTH TANNER. EZEKIEL was a Revolutionary War Patriot. In his will and codicil, EZEKIEL Jr. names their children:
MARY GARDNER wife of VINCENT GARDNER
HANNAH ARNOLD wife of JONATHAN ARNOLD..one hundred and fifty dollars of which to be paid her by my son EZEKIEL GARDNER...out of the estate
grandson DAVID GARDNER son of son DAVID
two granddaughters SUSANNA GARDNER and
MARY GARDNER daughters of my son David Gardner..."
Probate Court 1814.
BENJAMIN TANNER of North Kingstown RI married on 2 Nov 1765 SARAH ANN AYLESWORTH, whose father lived on an adjoining farm. They were the parents of
SARAH TANNER made her will on 10 Nov 1801 and her estate was settled on 2 Feb. 1834. She named her son, PALMER TANNER; daughter SUSAN AUSTIN, wife of HENRY AUSTIN; (HANNAH) wife of SILVESTER SWEET; daughter RUTH, WIFE OF EZEKIEL M. GARDNER, daughter LYDIA JOHNSON, wife of LEVI JOHNSON; daughter SARAH GARDNER, wife of GOULD GARDNER; two daughters ANNA POTTER wife of WILLIAM POTTER, and ELIZABETH TANNER; daughter LUCY TANNER; three said younger daughters, ANNA POTTER, ELIZABETH TANNER and LUCY TANNER; son BENJAMIN. BENJAMIN b 1765, was a Revolutionary War Patriot.
EZEKIEL M. GARDNER and RUTH TANNER settled in the Town of Lorraine, Jefferson Co., NY. His name appears on the 1820 census at Lorraine, Jefferson Co., NY, with one male 10-16; 1 male 26-45; 1 male over 45; 1 female under 10; 2 females 10-16 and 1 female over 45. Both EZEKIEL and RUTH inherited sums of money from their parents which probably allowed them to move to Jefferson County. The 1820 census suggests that daughter HANNAH, who married WILLIAM MARSH, was living with her parents. The GARDNERS and TANNERS may have come to Jefferson via Oneida County, where there are numerous GARDNER and TANNER families. EZEKIEL bc 1770, died on 26 Sept. 1849 at age 79 and RUTH died 30 June 1842 at age 69.
Children of EZEKIEL M. GARDNER and RUTH TANNER:
Their daughter, PHOEBE GARDNERbc 1800, married THOMAS JAMES and died 12 March 1843 at 43 years. All three are buried in the Gardner Cemetery, Town of Lorraine. THOMAS JAMES died 1 March 1863 at 70 years 2 mos 2 days and is buried in the Maplewood Cemetery. His father, THOMAS JAMES, Sr., was a settler at Adams, Jefferson Co., NY in 1803.
Their daughter, HANNAH GARDNER bc 1799, married WILLIAM MARSH and settled in Ellisburgh, NY. (See Marsh family this site. ) HANNAH died on 14 April 1867 at 68 years 3 months 6 days and is buried in the Maplewood Cemetery at Ellisburgh. WILLIAM MARSH died 12 Dec. 1874 at 77 years and is also buried in the Maplewood Cemetery.
CYRIL HARRINGTON was born in 1782, probably in Vermont, the son of CALEB HARRINGTON and SALLY PERRY and died in 1855 at Adams at 73 years. He married in 1806 at Clarendon VT to 1) RACHEL MATTISON. He married 2) LUCINDA PHELPS who died in 1886 at 87 years and is also buried in Adams. He received a bequest in his father's will, which was recorded in the clerk's office for Clarendon VT, dated 4 May 1833. CYRIL settled in Adams, Jefferson Co NY. Their daughter, BETSEY was born in 1802 and died in 1853. CALEB HARRINGTON'S will of 1831 states in part: "I give and bequeath to my son CYRIL HARRINGTON one dollar to be paid by my executor in one year after our deaths and the reason I give him no more he has had his full part out of my property before and estate." CYRIL appears on the 1820 census at Rodman, Jefferson Co NY.
CYRIL'S sister, AZABAH/AZUBAH HARRINGTON, bc 1788, and died 21 June 1861 in Iowa; married in Rodman on 17 Jan 1808 to BENJAMIN FASSETT, born 7 Sep 1785 MA and died 7 Sept 1838 Iowa; and CALEB HARRINGTON, her father was more generous on her behalf, in his will giving her money and livestock. She and BENJAMIN also lived in Jefferson County, at Adams. BENJAMIN saw service in the War of 1812. BENJAMIN and his family moved to Iowa in about 1837.
Children of BENJAMIN FASSETT and AZABAH HARRINGTON:
1) NANCY FASSETT
2) ROZELLA FASSETT
3) CELONA FASSETT
4) BENONI FASSETT
5) SARAH ANN FASSETT
6) MARY FASSETT
7) NAPOLEAN BONAPARTE FASSETT
8) BENJAMIN ALONZO FASSETT
BENJAMIN RAPPOLE was born in Oneida Co NY on 28 Oct 1823, son of DANIEL RAPPOLE and MARY BILLINGTON. BENJAMIN died 23 April 1897 in Waushara Co., WI. DANIEL RAPPOLE was born 14 Jan 1802 and came to Jefferson Co. from Oneida Co in 1828. On 11 Feb 1823 DANIEL married MARY BILLINGTON in Oneida County NY. MARY RAPPOLE died in 1828 and DANIEL married 2) on 13 Dec 1829 EMILY COLE. EMILY was the daughter of NATHAN and POLLY COLE of Pamelia, Jefferson Co. DANIEL RAPPOLE died in Jefferson Co NY on 27 Dec 1878 at 77 years and is buried in Alexandria Bay, Jefferson Co NY. EMILY survived him and died 20 Mar 1895 at 84 years 2 months and 20 days; she is buried in Walton St. Cem., at Alexandria Bay. BENJAMIN RAPPOLE went to Jefferson Co NY at a young age with his father, DANIEL.
He married SARAH LEACH on 25 March 1857. She was the daughter of WILLIAM and SARAH (HAYNES) LEACH. William LEACH was taken a prisoner during the Civil War and died in 1864. SARAH LEACH died in Jefferson Co NY in December of 1841
Children of DANIEL and MARY RAPPOLE:
1) BENJAMIN F. RAPPOLE b 28 Oct 1823 in Oneida Co., NY; married SARAH LEACH
2) JOHN G. RAPPOLE of Jefferson Co NY b 28 Nov 1825 died 1904 and buried in Theresa
3) JAMES M. RAPPOLE b 17 Dec 1829 of Orleans Co NY.
Children of DANIEL and EMILY RAPPOLE
4) MARY M(ARGARET) RAPPOLE bc 1830 married HENRY A. HUFF (b 1829) and she died in October 1888
5) HARRIET ELIZA RAPPOLE bc 1832 married 1) PIERCE 2)ZOLLER of Jefferson Co NY
6) EMILY RAPPOLE bc 1836 and d 6 June 1919 at 82 yrs.
7) FRANCIS A. (FRANK) born1838 in the town of Pamelia and died 1921 at Plessis, Jefferson Co NY; married 7 October 1870 at 32 years to ADDIE NASH of Orleans. ADALAIDE (ADDIE) was born 2 Sep 1848 and d 24 Jan 1936; buried Plessis. FRANK was in the Civil War and was also a farmer.
Children of FRANK RAPPOLE and ADDIE NASH:
HOSEA HOUGH was born in 1787 in MA and married ELIZABETH RAPPOLE. ELIZABETH was born 2 March 1794 and married HOSEA HOUGH in Theresa NY. She died 15 July 1870 in Theresa, Jefferson Co., NY. ELIZABETH was the daughter of GEORGE RAPPOLE who was born 1755, who was a Revolutionary War veteran and buried in Jefferson County. ELIZABETH'S mother was ELIZABETH FAILING.
Children of HOSEA HOUGH and ELIZABETH RAPPOLE:
1) HENRY A. HOUGH married MARY MARGARET RAPPOLE Rappole, daughter of DANIEL and EMILY RAPPOLE.
2) LANDER HOUGH age 34; enlisted 11 Aug 1862 at Theresa in Civil War Sept. 11, 1862 to serve three years; mustered out with company 23 June 1865 at Petersburg, VA
3) GEORGE G. HOUGH died 28 July 1909 at 79 years. Born Leray NY on 2 July 1830. He married MARY ALVERSON who survived him.
Children of GEORGE HOUGH and MARY ALVERSON:
Children of BURT HOUGH and NELLIE SOPHIE HARGER:
1) LOTTA HOUGH b 3 April 1901 Theresa
2) FLORENCE HOUGH b 1895
3) GEORGE EARL HOUGH b 1896 d 19 Oct 1953; married LAURA HILL
4) JOHN HOUGH bc 1899 d 25 Jan 1910 Theresa
GEORGE RAPPOLE was born 14 July 1755 and came to Theresa NY from Palatine, NY. He died on 25 Mar. 1841 in the town of Theresa. His first wife was ELIZABETH FAILING. He married 2) in 1793 to MARGARET HALLEGAR who was born 1769.
ADONIJAH MONTAGUE was born 11 April 1757 in Sunderland, MA, son of SAMUEL and ELIZABETH MONTAGUE. ADONIJAH died 1828 in Henderson, Jefferson Co., NY. He married in 1778 MARY SIMONDS who was born 23 April 1752 at Ware, Hampshire, MA and died 1831 in Henderson, Jefferson Co NY. She was the daughter of JOSEPH SIMONDS and his third wife, HANNAH ABBE. ADONIJAH was a soldier in the Revolutionary War.
Children of ADONIJAH MONTAGUE and MARY SIMONDS:
1) MARY MONTAGUE; born 9 Jan 1784 in Pawlet VT; d 30 Apr 1856 in Henderson, Jefferson Co., NY. She married on 29 Sept 1805 in Pawlet, VT SALMON ASPINWALL, who was born 10 June 1783 in Newington, Hartford CT and d 4 May 1856 NY. He was the son of ELEAZER ASPINWALL and ELIZABETH STEELE. SALMON moved with his parents to Pawlet VT where he married MARY MONTAGUE on 29 Sept. 1805. MARY and SALMON left Rupert VT. and moved in 1820 to Henderson, Jefferson Co., NY. He was a farmer and also a blacksmith.
Children of MARY MONTAGUE and SALMON ASPINWALL:
a)DAVID ASPINWALL who was born in Rupert VT on 27 July 1817, d 1858. He lived on the old homestead in Henderson NY. On 6 June 1843 at Henderson, he married HARRIET MINERVA ALDEN, born in Medina, Orleans Co., NY, daughter of BRIGGS and MARIA (KING) ALDEN. Her lineage traces to JOHN ALDEN and the Mayflower line. He was a blacksmith.
Child of DAVID ASPINWALL and HARRIET ALDEN:
1) HARRIET MERLE ASPINWALL b Henderson, Jefferson Co. in 1857. She married in Washington, DC. on 31 Oct. 1901 JAMES HILTON who was born 2 Jan 1862 of Albany NY.
2) MARY E. ASPINWALL m SMITH T. TAGGARD -- three children
3)DAVID M. ASPINWALL Jr. who died in infancy
4)WILLIAM M. ASPINWALL of Columbus OH
5) TRUMAN M. ASPINWALL
6) CLARA LILLIAN ASPINWALL married 1) WILLIAM D. BARNESrnes and 2)Rev. D. L. FISHER of Hinsdale NH. She was b 30 June 1859 and died 5 Sept 1926.
b) JOSEPH AIKIN ASPINWALL b 25 July 1812 in Rupert VT ; died in Nunda, Livingston Co., NY. Married on 5 May 1836 FRANCES MAIN, who was born 4 Mar. 1812 in Henderson, Jefferson Co., and died 10 Apr 1891 in Nunda. She was the daughter of JONAS MAIN (d 27 Aug 1823 in Henderson, Jefferson Co) and LYDIA PORTER.
c) MARY CELINDA ASPINWALL b 1 Feb 1807; married PHILO HUNGERFORD and died in Ellisburgh
d) DATUS ASPINWALL b 9 Aug 1810; died in Iowa in 1888
e) HANNAH ANN ASPINWALL b 20 Dec 1814; who was twice married and died in Henderson.
f) JOEL ADONIJAH ASPINWALL b 12 Aug 1822; born in Henderson, later resident of Wisconsin.
JONAS MAIN was born 1 April 1788 in N. Stonington, New London Co., CT and died 27 Aug. 1823 in Henderson, Jefferson Co., NY. He married LYDIA PORTER, daughter of JOHN PORTER and ZERVIAH HAWKINS. LYDIA was born 1795 and died 30 Oct. 1875.
Children of JONAS MAIN and LYDIA PORTER:
1) FRANCES MAIN b 4 Mar 1812 Henderson d 10 Apr 1891 Nunda, Livingston Co., NY
2) MORTIMER PORTER MAIN b May 1816 in Henderson Jefferson Co. and died 1856 Monroe, Green Co., WI; he married about 1812 in Henderson, NY to SARAH DRUMMOND.
Children of MORTIMER MAIN and SARAH DRUMMOND:
a) FRANCES C. MAIN bc 1841 Henderson
b) MORTIMER PORTER MAIN bc 1843 Henderson
c) ORVILLE MAIN bc 1843 Henderson
3) AMANDA MAIN b 1818 Henderson, Jefferson Co. died 23 Apr. 1853 in Porter, WI
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Copyright 2021 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page