EZRA OROSCO GRENEL: EZRA was born on 2 July 1815 on Manor Farm, near Pierrepont Manor, son of BENJAMIN PERSONS GRENELL and KEZIA FREEMAN. EZRA was a farmer by occupation. In October 1839 he married ABBY MONROE WARDWELL, who was born in Bristol, Rhode Island on 23 Nov. 1814, daughter of SAMUEL WARDWELL Jr. and HANNAH (CAREY) (MONROE)WARDWELL. EZRA died on the homestead on 18 Jan 1898 and ABBY died on 20 Feb 1896.
Children of EZRA O. GRENELL and ABBY MONROE:
1) WILLIAM GRENNEL was born on 26 Jan 1846 in Pierrepont Manor, Jefferson Co., NY. He was a Union Academy student and attended various colleges in New York. He worked in various businesses until his marriage, after which he resided on the Manor Farm for several years. In 1873 he engaged in the seed business. On 19 March 1867 WILLIAM married ADELAIDE E. ALLEN who was born 9 August 1847, daughter of JEROME and OLIVE (CASTOR) ALLEN.
Children of WILLIAM GRENNEL and ADELAIDE ALLEN:
a) HELEN ALLEN GRENNEL was born at Manor Farm in 1868 and died in 1870
b) ANN WARDWELL GRENNEL was born 1873 at Manor Farm and in 1897 married MATTHEW J. HUGGINS of Mannsville, NY.
Children of ANN W. GRENNEL and MATTHEW J. HUGGINS:
1) MARJORIE MARY HUGGINS b 1900 died 1902
2) WILLIAM GRENNEL HUGGINS b 9 May 1901
2) BENJAMIN P. GRENNELL was born in 1853; he married in 1876 MARY E. ROBINSON, daughter of JOHN F. ROBINSON.
BENJAMIN PERSONS GRENNEL was the son of EZRA and OLIVE (PARKER) GRENELL who came from Montgomery Co NY to Ellisburgh, Jefferson Co. in 1812 and located on a farm. He was born 5 Jan 1790 and died 8 July 1864. He married on 9 Feb. 1813 KEZIA FREEMAN GRENELL who was born 3 August
1786 and died 14 October 1872. She was the daughter of MOODY FREEMAN.
Children of BENJAMIN GRENNEL and KEZIA FREEMAN:
1) EZRA OROSCO GRENNEL b 2 July 1815 married ABBY MONROE WARDWELL
2) MOODY O. GRENNEL
3) DAVID H. GRENNEL
4) CAROLINE R. GRENNEL married AARON ALLEN of Lorraine
Dau: CARRIE R. ALLEN married BYRON F. WATERMAN
5) ABIGAIL C. GRENNEL became Mrs. W. WARDWELL
6) JULIA GRENNEL
7) KEZIAH GRENNEL became Mrs. BENJAMIN ROBBINS
Col. SAMUEL WARDWELL, active in the Revolutionary War, owned a firm under the name of Bourne and Wardwell, prominent in the commerce of Bristol RI. The firm owned 42 vessels and for many years carried on an extensive shipping trade. In 1798 Colonel WARDWELL purchased in one act 4,000 acres of land in the town of Ellisburg. The purchase included the site of Mannsville as well and in 1812 Col WARDWELL settled at the "Ridge" in Rome NY. A grist mill and saw mill were there. He purchased 283 acres of land, tore away the old gristmill and built a new one which stood until 1868. David I. Andrus was the agent acting for SAMUEL WARDWELL for the settlement in the Pierrepont and Mannsville, Jefferson Co., NY area. SAMUEL'S son, DANIEL WARDWELL, took charge of the purchase made several years previously by his father and in 1823 began building a cotton factory.
Children of SAMUEL and LYDIA (WARDWELL) WARDWELL:
1) NATHANIEL WARDWELL b 20 Sept 1778 Bristol RI married DORTHY/DOLLY FALES and died in Ellisburg NY 16 Nov 1867. DOLLY died in 1856 at age 73.
Children of NATHANIEL WARDWELL and DOROTHY FALES:
a) NATHANIEL P. WARDWELL b 1 April 1814 Bristol RI; married on 20 Aug 1839 EMMA BRONSON STERLING b 4 June 1814 Watertown NY; she died 22 Mar 1905. He was admitted to the bar in Watertown and elected to office of surrogate. NATHANIEL died 1847.
Children of NATHANIEL P. WARDWELL and EMMA B. STERLING:
1) EMMA WARDWELL b 12 Aug 1841
2) WILLIAM HENRY WARDWELL b 21 Oct 1843
3) NATHANIEL PHILLIPS WARDWELL b 6 June 1846, died 1909 married ELLA T. FARWELL
b) SARAH F. WARDWELL married DAVID D. OTIS, Esq.; she died 4 March 1847 at 23 years
2) NANCY WARDWELL b 25 Sept 1780; married JOHN M. BOURNE and died in Providence RI in 1856
3) JONATHAN WARDWELL b 30 Jan 1783 and died at sea in 1805
4) SARAH WARDWELL born 21 Jan 1785 married THOMAS PECKHAM
5) LYDIA WARDWELL b 10 Sept 1786 married ALLEN SMITH
6) SAMUEL WARDWELL b 14 June 1788 ; died Mannsville N.Y. 1857 at 69 years; married HANNAH MONROE; HANNAH b 1793 died 1874 at 81 yrs; daughter ABBY married EZRZ GRENNELl-see Grennel family this site
7) MARY WARDWELL b 28 Nov 1789 married JOSEPH C. WOOD and died at Ellisburg in June 1819
8) DANIEL WARDWELL b Bristol RI 28 May 1791; admitted to the practice of law; became a judge in Oneida Co NY; married 1) 20 July 1815 in Whitesboro NY HETTY MANN Mann, daughter of Hon. NEWTON MANN; married 2) LETETIA W. SMITH at Adams, NY . HETTY was born in 1791 and died 1858 at 61 y 9 m 12 d. DANIEL died 1878 at 86 yrs 9 m 29 d.
9) HENRY WARDWELL b 9 July 1792; a lieutenant on the privateer "Yankee" in October 1814 during the War of 1812; he died in Havana Cuba in August of 1816
10) ABBY WARDWELL 1st b 17 Sept 1793 and died in infancy
11) ABBY WARDWELL 2, b 31 Dec 1794 married HENRY WRIGHT
3 other children who died in infancy
MICAH STERLING was born in Sterling City CT on 5 Nov 1784, and married 1) ELIZABETH BRONSON and 2) RUTH BENEDICT. ELIZABETH BRONSON was born at Middleburg CT on 6 May 1795, daughter of ETHIEL BRONSON, one of the prominent men of the early days of Jefferson Co., NY, and HEPZIBAH (HOPKINS) BRONSON of Rutland, NY. ELIZABETH died in Watertown NY on 5 Sept 1831. MICAH married 2) on 6 Aug 1833 in Albany NY RUTH BENEDICT who was born 9 Feb 1801, daughter of URIAH BENEDICT Jr of Milton, Saratoga Co NY and SARAH MEAD (ROCKWELL) BENEDICT of Ballston Spa, NY. Saratoga County records show that URIAH BENEDICT came from CT in early times and settled on the East Line Road in Saratoga County. He was a supervisor of Town of Ballston in 1785. His children were URIAH, ELIAS, and DAVID. URIAH BENEDICT Jr. kept a store at Howard's Corners as early as 1800.
MICAH STERLING entered Yale in 1800 and graduated in 1804; he later studied law in Utica NY and eventually moved to Watertown, Jefferson Co about 1810 where he resided until his death. He held a variety of public offices and became president of the Jefferson County National Bank. In 1836 he was elected to the State Senate.
His grandson said of him: "He had much to do with the French refugees in their land matters. The Lerays did much business with him as letters show. Father used to tell of their coming from their fine place at Lerayville with their fine turnout and gold plated harness, get dinner at our house and again grandfather would visit them. The old decanters marked "Mad Wine" and "Port" show that they did not belong to the WCTU. Father remembered when a boy drinking what he thought was some kind of water, on the sly, after a dinner. His memory failed him soon after and he was told to let good champagne alone thereafter..." MICAH died of
scarlet fever in Watertown on 11 April 1844; RUTH died there on 8 July 1870.
Children of MICAH STERLING and ELIZABETH BRONSON:
1) EMMA BRONSON STERLING b 4 June 1814 married NATHANIEL P. WARDWELL--see WARDWELL this site
2) FRANCIS WINTHROP STERLING b 7 Nov 1815 d 6 Sept 1817
3) FRANCIS WINTHROP STERLING b 6 July 1818 d May 1821
4) JOHN CALHOUN STERLING b 29 Mar 1820 m 1) ANNE S. BRAYTON and 2) ANNE M. BEACH
5) FRANCIS WINTHROP STERLING b 18 Apr 1827 died 1829
6) WILLIAM HOPKINS STERLING b 19 July 1831 died 18 Aug 1837
Children of MICAH STERLING and RUTH BENEDICT:
7) LEWIS BENEDICT STERLING b 18 Aug 1836 married BELLE LANE
ETHEL BRONSON was born 22 July 1765 in Middlebury Ct., son of ISAAC BRONSON and MARY BROCKETT. ETHEL died in 1825, Rutland NY. He married 30 Dec 1787 to HEPZIBAH HOPKINS who was born 14 Mar 1768 in Waterbury CT, daughter of JOSEPH HOPKINS and HEPZIBAH CLARK.
Children of ETHEL BRONSON and HEPZIBAH HOPKINS:
1) ALFRED BRONSON b 13 Oct 1791 Waterbury Ct
2) ERASTUS BRONSON b 18 Feb 1793
3) ELIZABETH BRONSON b 6 May 1795 - see MICAH STERLING family
4) EMMA BRONSON b 7 Sept 1797
5) ISAAC BRONSON b 19 Aug 1800
6) ISAAC BRONSON bc 1802
JAMES WINGFIELD was a tanner by trade and a native of Glasgow, Scotland where he died. He married MARY COWPERTHWAIT by whom he had two children:
JAMES WINGFIELD immigrated to Quebec and then to Montreal, finally settling in Kingston Canada where he died in 1883 at 62 years. He married CAROLINE COLBERT of Montreal, daughter of DAVID and MARGARET COLBERT of Montreal. Of their ten children, DAVID J. WINGFIELD, was born in Toronto
Canada and in 1886 moved to Cape Vincent where he was a photographer. He married LILLIAN C. BANTA, daughter of JACOB C. and SARAH (HOPPER) BANTA and they had three children:
Children of DAVID J. and LILLIAN C. (BANTA) WINGFIELD:
1) HAROLD WINGFIELD
2) DAVID C. WINGFIELD
3) SALLY WINGFIELD
ZACHARIAH WHEELER was the son of PETER and HANNAH WHEELER of Washington Co., NY. ZACH married PHOEBE SHERWIN, daughter of JOHN SHERWIN and his second wife, MARY GOULD. PHOEBE'S father, JOHN SHERWIN was the son of EBENEZER SHERWIN and HEPSIBAH COLE. By 1810, Zach had left Washington Co., NY and crossed to the State of Vermont where PHOEBE'S relatives
were living. However, by 1820 the family was back in New York. In about 1822, ZACHARIAH WHEELER moved to Jefferson County, NY and located in the northwestern corner along the Lake Ontario eastern shore. ZACHARIAH died there in 1827 at 51 years 3 days. PHOEBE survived him and was living in Lyme Township in the 1830 census. PHOEBE died in 1856 at 79 years and she and ZACK are buried in Point Peninsula Cemetery at Three Mile Bay.
Children of ZACHARIAH WHEELER and PHEBE SHERWIN:
1) JOHN S. WHEELER was bc 1795; married POLLY (---), bc 1805
2) HANNA WHEELER bc 1799
3) PETER A. WHEELER b 20 July 1801 NY; died 17 Mar 1876 Fiatt, Fulton Co., IL; married POLLY MILLARD in Jefferson Co., NY about 1825. She was b 14 Aug 1802 and died 14 Sept 1885.
4) IRA WHEELER b c1802; married SUSAN LEE; she bc 1802
5) ERASTUS WHEELER b c1805 Oppenheim NY; married SARAH KENISTON who was born in Lyme NY
6) MENZO WHEELER b c1810; married LYDIA ANN HOSELTON; their home has been declared an historic site at Main and Depot Streets in Chaumont, NY
7) MARVIN WHEELER b c1813; died 19 Feb 1893 Fulton Co IL; married 10 Feb 1833 to POLLY ANN HOSELTON; she b 15 May 1815 and d 6 Nov 1883 at Canton IL
Children of MARVIN WHEELER and POLLY HOSELTON:
a) CALPHERNIA WHEELER b 30 Nov 1833 Jefferson Co NY; d 14 Sept IL; married MATHEW HENRY MITCHELL on 12 Feb 1852; he born 17 Mar 1830 and died 23 June 1911.
b) SALLY WHEELER b 27 Apr 1839 and died 1909; married ELIPHALET M. SHAW on 14 February 1858 in IL; he born 16 Nov 1839 and died 28 Mar 1919
c) DEWIT WHEELER b 15 Jan 1840 Jefferson Co; died 7 Feb 1851
d) MYRON WHEELER b 18 Apr 1841 Jefferson Co NY; died 9 Dec 1927. Married SUSAN FINGEL who was born 5 June 1847 Germany; died 5 Mar 1905
e) MERMARY WHEELER b 14 Aug 1843 Jefferson Co; died 4 Apr 1844 Jefferson Co
f) MADISON WHEELER b 28 Apr 1846 Jefferson Co; died 5 May 1848 Jefferson Co.
g) REUBEN A. WHEELER b 3 Nov 1852; died 26 Jun 1936; married (1) MARY FRANCES WATKINS; she born 20 Aug 1856 IL and died 2 Aug 1885; married (2) SUSAN REED b 23 Dec 1860 IL
h) EMMELINE WHEELER b 30 Jul 1855; died 5 Apr 1933; married JOHN L. HERRICK; he b 18 Oct 1863 d 5 Mar 1934
8) FANNIE WHEELER bc 1815
9) MILES WHEELER bc 1816; married CHARLOTTE HOSELTON
10) KIM (---) WHEELER bc 1820
11) WILLIAM H. WHEELER bc 1826 NY; married ELIZA HALAR 17 Sep 1848 IL; she born 1831 NY
12) PHOEBE WHEELER bc 1827 NY; married EDGARD BOYNTON 27 Feb 1851; he born 1831 IL
Children of SIMPSON FARMAN and HANNAH WARD:
1) SAMUEL WARD FARMAN b 29 Apr 1810; married 1832 to HARRIET PACK, daughter of GEORGE and PHILOTTE (GREENE) PACK who resided on a farm four miles from Watertown, NY. She was born St. John, New Brunswick on 20 June 1812
2) CURTIS FARMAN was drowned 15 Oct 1833 with his wife and child and his cousins: JESSE HOLMES FARMAN, CHARLOTTE FARMAN COLLINS and ALVAH COLLINS, her husband and their infant child while crossing Henderson Bay in Jefferson Co NY in a small boat. JESSE and CHARLOTTE were children of SAMUEL FARMAN.
3) CHAUNCY FARMAN
4) HIRAM FARMAN married LUCINDA BROWN. HIRAM died in Joliet, IL 1854 and left a son and daughter. His son, NELSON, was in the army and in the Civil War and remained in the South where he also married.
5) HARRIET FARMAN b 3 Jan 1820 d 23 Dec 1888
6) HARVEY FARMAN
7) AARON FARMAN; went to California with his brother SAMUEL in 1849; left Milwaukee WI with gold fever. A few letters from him were received and then nothing.
8) ANSON FARMAN
Children of SIMPSON FARMAN and RACHEL HOSELTON: (born at Chaumont NY)
9) ALMON DELOS FARMAN b 6 May 1835
10) PETER DELERA VINCENT FARMAN b 25 Feb 1839
11) HANNAH FARMAN b 21 Jan 1840; died 1844
12) CAROLINE FARMAN b 16 Mar 1844
SAMUEL FARMAN was the son of JOHN and REBECCA CHAMBERLIN FARMAN, who went from Bath NH to Westmoreland, Oneida Co NY about 1805. In about 1809 he moved to Henderson and then in 1840 to Ellisburg where he resided until his death on 20 Dec 1849. He married in Bath NH POLLY SALTER, who was born in Bath on 13 Oct 1785 and died in Ellisburg, NY on 1 Nov 1870. She was the daughter of MICHAEL (b 16 Apr 1764) and PHEBE (WRIGHT) SALTER. PHEBE WRIGHT SALTER was born 17 July 1767.
Children of SAMUEL FARMAN and POLLY SALTER (last four born in Henderson NY):
1) PHOEBE FARMAN b Westmoreland Oneida Co NY 29 Mar 1806; d Ellisburg NY 30 Jan 1888; married at Point Peninsula, town of Lyme on 16 July 1826 to THOMAS JOHNSON of Lyme; he was born in VT on 9 Apr 1802; died in Ellisburg on 31 Nov 1881.
Children of PHOEBE FARMAN and THOMAS JOHNSON:
a) MARIA JOHNSON b Point Peninsula on 9 May 1827 d Richland NY 24 Jan 1903; m 17 Feb 1848 JAMES SHERMAN who d Richland NY 19 Oct 1886
b) SARAH JOHNSON b 9 Nov 1828 d 9 Aug 1888; m 27 July 1849 CHARLES HOWARD
c) SAMUEL H. JOHNSON b 17 Dec 1831 m 10 Feb 1857 LORAINE BISHOP
d) GUSTAVUS HEMAN JOHNSON b 17 Oct 1833 m 26 Jan 1854 CLARIE NOBLES
e) MARY ANN JOHNSON b 16 Apr 1837 m 3 Jan 1856 LEONARD NUTTING who d 12 Feb 1887
f) JOHN JOHNSON b 10 Oct 1840; m 6 Feb 1866 EUNICE HOWARD who d 22 June 1881
g) MYRON M. JOHNSON b 3 Aug 1844 d 13 Jan 1898 m 25 Dec 1870 MARTHA ELLIS who d 30 Nov 1884
h) WILLIS H. JOHNSON b Ellisburg 17 June 1847 died in the Civil War
2) LOVICA FARMANovica b Westmoreland NY on 2 May 1808 died Ellisburg NY 24 Mar 1890; married at age 15 in 1823 to AMOS SANFORD, b Whiteside VT 20 Oct 1796; d Ellisburg NY 7 Nov 1867
Children of LOVICA FARMAN and AMOS SANFORD:
a) AMBROSE JESSE SANFORD b Lyme NY 4 Jan 1826; m 25 Apr 1849 FRANCES AMELIA PHELPS b 12 Feb 1832 Hounsfield NY
b) ANGELINE SANFORDe b Henderson NY 16 Sept 1828 m GEORGE ZUFELT
c) LOISA SANFORD
d) LOVISA SANFORD twin of LOISA b Henderson NY 25 Dec 1830
e) POLLY SANFORD who died at five years
f) AUGUSTUS RANSOM SANFORD b 24 May 1837
3) JESSE HOLMES FARMAN b 30 Sept 1809; drowned 15 Oct 1833
4) CHARLOTTE FARMAN b 3 May 1811 married ALVA COLLINS; she was drowned on 15 Oct 1833 with her husband, infant child, brother JESSE HOLMES, cousin CURTIS FARMANand his wife and child.
5) ANNA FARMAN b 12 Feb 1814 d Apr 1872; married Henderson NY to RANSOM CONVERSE FISHER who was b Colchester VT 21 May 1809; d Oswego NY July 1894.
Children of ANNA FARMAN and RANSOM C. FISHER:
a) JOSEPHENE BEDORA FISHER b Henderson NY 27 Apr 1834; m (1) in Ellisburg NY on 1 February20
1850 to JAY ALONZO DODGE of Rome NY; m (2) in Ellisburg on 31 Aug 1873 MYRON HOLMES SIMMONS of Camden NY; one child WILLIE DODGE b 27 Mar 1851
b) WILLIAM HENRY HARRISON FISHER b Ellisburg NY 1 Jan 1839; m (1) DERANTHA HOWARD of Ellisburg and (2) MARIA RILEY of Holyoke MA
6) POLLY M. FARMAN b 28 July 1815; d 8 Oct 1858 in IL; married 28 Mar 1830 GRANDIRSON DeWITT HOSELTON who was b 14 July 1811.
Children of POLLY FARMAN and G. D. HOSELTON:
a) GEORGE VERLINIA HOSELTON b Lyme NY 10 June 1831; d 11 June 1894
b) SOPHRONA LOPHELIA HOSELTON b Lyme NY 11 Nov 1832; m FRANK MARIAN NOBLE; lived Ellisburg
c) LYMAN RODOLPH HOSELTON b Lyme NY 9 June 1834
d) ALVIRA JENETT HOSELTON
e) ALVIRA JANE HOSELTON, twin of ALVIRA b Sandy Creek NY 11 June 1837
f) MARSHAL D. HOSELTON b Sandy Creek 29 Sept 1839
g) WILLIAM HENRY HOSELTON b Sandy Creek 1 Feb 1843
h) EMOGENE ANDALUSIA HOSELTON
i) EUGENE ANSEL HOSELTON twin of EMOGENE b Ellisburg 31 Mar 1847
j) MARMRIE ANN HOSELTON b IL 1 June 1858
7) GUSTAVUS FARMAN b 4 July 1817; d Lake View, Ellisburg NY on 2 Nov 1891; m SUSAN SABRINA PHELPS b 2 Apr 1827; d Ellisburg NY 7 July 1878
Children of GUSTAVUS FARMAN and SUSAN S. PHELPS:
a) HOLMES FARMAN drowned at 2 yrs
b) ALVARO FARMAN b 13 Sept 1847; m 27 Dec 1868 ALICE WOOD of Ellisburg b 22 Oct 1853
c) MYRA ISADORE FARMAN b 28 May 1853; m 1873 GILFORD LINDSEY of Sandy Creek
d) ALMA FARMAN b 4 Jan 1850 Ellisburg; m 1 Jan 1868 to GEORGE MONDROE WOOD b 8 Oct 1847
8) AUGUSTUS FARMAN b 4 July 1817 d 1874 Minneapolis MN; married Henderson NY (1) PRUDENCE NUTTING and (2) MARTHA STREETER
Children of AUGUST FARMAN and PRUDENCE NUTTING
a) PHIDELIA FARMAN
b) CHESTER FARMAN
c) ZACHARY FARMAN
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Copyright 2021 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page