The Earliest Boomer Settlers and birth dates in Jefferson Co., NY and where born Source: G. Elizabeth Gerard - The Boomer Family of Belleville-Ellisburg, Jeff. Co., NY 1972
The author stated that much of the information included above and for her sources for all information , is in the Genealogy Section of the Flower Library in Watertown, NY, on the 2nd floor.
Notes in italics provided by the transcriber, M. Sapienza.
|1738||MATTHEW BOOMER||born Freetown||wife, JANE WELD|
|1760||EDWARD BOOMER||born RI||wife, REJOICE MACOMBER|
|1763||BENJAMIN BOOMER||b Westport, MS||wife, MARY COLLINS|
|1767||MATTHEW BOOMER||b Mass.||wife, SARAH WODDELL|
|1788||EDWARD BOOMER||b Mass.||wife, ELECTA|
|1789||COLLINS BOOMER||b Mass||marr. 3 times|
|1791||OLIVER BOOMER||b RI||MARGRET|
|1808||LEONARD BOOMER||b NY||NANCY CHAMBERLAIN|
|m/.13 Jan. 1828|
|1809||NELSON BOOMER||b NY||EMILY|
|1812||HARVEY BOOMER||b NY||LOUISA|
|1817||SAMUEL BOOMER||b NY||DEIDAMA|
|1824||MATTHEW BOOMER||b NY||JENETTE DUTCHER|
|1831||ELIAS BOOMER, SR.||b NY||DEBORAH|
|1832||OSCAR F. BOOMER||b NY||ELIZABETH BREWSTER|
|1841||EDWARD BOOMER||b NY||MARY, 1845|
|1847||GEORGE BOOMER||b NY||GEORGIANNA|
|1862||ELLA LOUISE BOOMER||b NY|
|1864||GEORGE B. BOOMER||died young|
|1873||MABEL ELIZABETH BOOMER|
Mathew IV Boomer, b 1738 Freetown, MA d 1812 in Belleville, NY; m. 6 Dec. 1757 to Jane Weld b 1739 d 1822. She was from Newport, RI. They had seven sons and seven daughters. The girls all died young. In 1793 he moved in ox carts and by following marked trees, with his own family and the families of his sons-Mathew, Edward and Benjamin, and settled in Ellisburg and Belleville, Jeff. Co., NY about 1795. Matthew was age 74 when he died in 1812 and Jane Weld Boomer was age 83 when she died 1 Jan. 1822. Both are buried in the Old Belleville Cemetery, on the outskirts of Belleville; this cemetery was on their property at one time.
Children of Matthew Boomer and Jane Weld:
1. John Boomer b 1759; m Susanna Borden b 7 Aug. 1761, dau of Elijah of Pompey, NY
2. Edward Boomer b RI or Mass. int. of marriage, Dartmouth, MA; 19 Aug. 1779 to Rejoice Macomber
3. Benjamin Boomer b 16 June 1763 in Westport, MA. Int. of marriage to Mary Collins in Dartmouth, MA. Mary Collins Boomer d 8 June 1849 at 84 years. Benjamin came with his father to Jeff. Co. about 1802. Mary is buried on her son's lot in Evergreen Cemetery.
Children of Benjamin and Mary were:
a) Collins Boomer b 1789 Mass. d 6 Sept. 1866 at 77 in Belleville. He married 1) Harriett Finn b 22 Feb. 1800; d 22 Feb. 1836. After her death, he m 2) Mary Whitney, dau. of Samuel and Mary (St. John) Whitney, b Kirkland, NY 5 April 1795; d 24 Oct. 1856 and m 2 Oct. 1838 to Collins Boomer. After her death, he m 3) Philena Parker. Harriett was from Adams, NY. They are buried in Evergreen Cemetery near Bellevile.
Their children were:
1) Bryant Boomer d 10 Aug. 1836 at 2 years
2) Collins Boomer, Jr. d 24 Aug. 1849 at 26 years
3) Harriett Boomer d 1826
4) Oscar Finn Boomer b 29 Oct. 1831 in Ellisburg; d Syracuse NY 18 April 1888. Married on 15 March 1858 to Elizabeth Brewster, dau. of Timothy Brewster and Amanda Barker Brewster. See Pioneer Brewster this site.
b) Benjamin Boomer bc 1795; m. Elizabeth
c) Lyman Boomer
d) Allen Boomer b 23 Dec. 1798 and d 1 Oct. 1873 in Belvidere, Ill. He m. 1) unknown and 2) Niobe Franklin of Lyme, Jeff. Co. m. 19 March 1829. Niobe was b 11 Jan. 1810 at Sackets Harbor and d 31 Dec. 1903 in Belvidere, Illinois. He had four children with his first wife and thirteen with his second wife.
4. Elizabeth Boomer b 1765
5. Matthew Boomer b 25 Nov. 1767 in Westport, MA; m. Sara Wodell int. 16 March 1779. Sarah was born in Tiverton, RI c 1769 and died in Ellisburg, NY between 1840-50. Matthew d in Ellisburg on 24 Jan. 1859 at Belleville. Sara Wodell was the dau. of Gershom Wodell b 14 June 1770; she d 19 Aug. 1853 at 82 years. Their children were:
a) Stephen Boomer b 4 Sept. 1788
b) Oliver Boomer b 9 Feb. 1791 in RI; d 18 April 1872 and buried Mixer Cemetery in
Belleville, NY. Married Margaretha___, who was b in Holland. She d 16 April 1883
at age 93 and buried in Mixer Cem. Note, Margaretha or Margaret, is named in the will
of John Hagedorn, this site, as wife of Oliver Boomer. In the pension application, this
site, as a War of 1812 veteran, Oliver Boomer was of Watertown and d 18 April 1872
at 81 years, 2 months. His wife listed as Margaret Hagedorn, who d 16 Sept. 1883.
They married June 1815 at Ellisburg.
c) Betsey Boomer b 24 Sept. 1793
d) Huldah Boomer b 28 Oct. 1795
e) Matthew Boomer b 2 Feb. 1797
f) Judith Boomer b 19 Jan. 1799
g) Sally Ann Boomer b 30 March 1801
h) Lydia Boomer b 8 Sept. 1802
i) Manley Boomer b 17 May 1805
j) Eleanor Boomer b 17 Sept. 1806
k) Leonard Boomer b 18 March 1808 m. Nancy Chamberlain
l) John Boomer b 17 April 1812
m) Almeda Boomer b 19 Aug. 1817 at Belleville; d 13 May 1909 at 91 years. M. Zebedee Sherman b Savoy, Mass. c 1809; he d Quincy, Mich. 30 June 1892. Her papers of admission to the Mayflower Society provided information on this family.
6. Calvan Boomer bc 1770.
7. William Boomer bc 1771. Died 1812
8. Joshua Boomer b 29 May 1782 in VT. Came to Ellisburg in 1803 with his father. He died by drowning in 1847 while erecting a new bridge at the back of his house. He married Mary Mason, dau. of Jeremiah and Phebe (Luther) Mason. Mary was b 3 May 1786 and d 1867; both buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Belleville.
Their children were:
a) Daniel H. Boomer b 1808, Belleville; married Alvira___
b) Alanson Boomer b 1815; m? Cynthia Cook
c) Permelia Boomer b 10 April 1807 d 21 Jan. 1872; m Riley Chamberlain, Marlboro, VT
d) Lyman E. Boomer bc 1811
e) Mary Boomer m Norman Barney
f) Dalana Boomer b 1820; m Wilbur Barnes and after her death he married her youngest sister, Frances A. Boomer. g) Amanda Boomer b 15 Oct. 1823 at Belleville; m 15 June 1845 Collins F. Armsbury of
Belleville, NY. They were married for 50 years and she died 23 Aug. 1895.
h) Frances A. Boomer; married her sister's widower, Wilbur Barnes.
9. Rev. Jabez Boomer b 1784, Mass; m 1803 in Ellisburg to Hanna Mason, dau. of Jeremiah and Phebe Mason. He d 1848 at Newberg, Ohio. Their son, Aaron Priest Boomer, was b 1806 and married Lena Sheffield in Ellisburg, NY. Jabez and Hanna married when he was age 19 and she was age 14. Daughter, Adeline Rebecca Boomer was b 1836, Mayfield, Ohio and married Reuben Hendrick Allen. She Died in 1879. Ref: Texas Society of Mayflower Descendants.
Edward Boomer b 1760 who married Rejoice; she was b 1758 and d. 1813. He served in the Rev. War as a fifer in Col. Pope Reg. and was discharged in MA on 29 August 1777. RUTH BOOMER b 1781 in RI was the first child of Edward and Rejoice Macumber Boomer. (No. 2 above). Her son, HARRY HAWES, says that his mother was born in RI. Ruth died in Belleville, NY 22 Jan. 1849 at 67 years. She married DANIEL HAWES of Belleville, b in VT 1775 and d 27 Nov. 1861 in Belleville, NY. They are buried in the Evergreen Cemetery at Roberts Corners in Belleville. He was age 86 when he died.
Children of Ruth Boomer and Daniel Hawes (Hawes surname):
1. Harry Hawes b 1801 d 24 Jan. 1881 in Belleville. Children: Chauncey b 1876 and Alphonse b 1875. 2. Edward Boomer Hawes b 1803/4 at Belleville, an attorney, m.Elizabeth Thurston Searle, b Bennington, VT 11 Dec. 1811. She died in Belleville at age 50 in 1861 and he died in Belleville in 1880; both are buried in the Evergreen Cemetery at Roberts Corners, Belleville, NY
Children: Henry Clay Hawes and Lucia Elizabeth Hawes
3. Ruth Hawes b 2 April 1805 in Belleville; died Kalamazoo, Michigan and is buried in Martin Co., Michigan; died 16 Aug. 1901. She m. Cotton Kimball, b Marlboro, VT. They had five children.
4. Bradford Kendrick Hawes, attorney, b 1812 in Bellevile; m Lucia Spicer. She m. second to Abner Durfee after Bradford's death.
5. William Hawes b 1809, a school teacher, b Belleville, NY; married Mary Ann Brown.
6. Sabra Hawes b 1813 d 1834 at 21 years. Buried on the Hawes lot in Evergreen Cemetery.
7. John R. Hawes b 1814; moved to Wisconsin.
8. Albert Hawes, attorney b 1815; d 1849 at 25 years.
The second child of Edward Boomer and Rejoice Macumber was JANE WELD BOOMER, b 1785, RI and d 1844 in Belleville, NY. She m 1801 to JOSHUA FREEMAN b 1782 and d 1860. He was born in RI and came to Belleville with the first settlers about 1801, son of Jedediah and Amy Chilson or Wilson Freeman.
Children of Jane Weld Boomer and Joshua Freeman, (Freeman surname):
1. John Freeman b Feb. 1802 in Ellisburg, NY and d 17 Oct. 1883 at Pierrepont Manor, NY; m Lucy Curtis in 1823. Children: Nathaniel, Huldah and Weston Curtis Freeman. Lucy was b 12 April 1805 and d 12 Aug. 1878. Buried in the Mixer Cemetery. They had eleven children.
2. Abiah Freeman or Alvah D., was a minister.
3. Jedidiah Freeman b 1808 d 22 March 1873 at 64. With his first wife he had five children and with his second wife he had three. His first wife was Fanny Oatman, bc 1809. His second wife was Mary J. Carley. She is buried in the Honeyville Cem., at Adams Center. Their children were: Clark Edmund Freeman, Isadore Freeman, Joshua Freeman and Oren Freeman.
7. Eliza J.
8. Charles H.
10 . Emory
12. Betsey Ann
13. Benjamin F.
Transcriber's note: from Child's Directory, Jeff. Co. for Elder Joshua Freeman
The third child of Edward Boomer and Rejoice Macomber was EDWARD BOOMER b 1788 in Mass. and died in 1871. He m about 1809 to Electa who was b 1789 and died 1860.
Their children were (Boomer surname):
1. Nelson Boomer b 1809 m Emily. He died 14 Jan. 1894. Emily was b 3 Dec. 1812 and d 3 April 1887. They had five children. In the will of Grout Hoisington, he named his son-in-law, Nelson Boomer as executor of his will. See Pioneer Hoisington Family, this site.
2. Harvey Boomer b 1812 NY; m Louisa Ranney, stepdaughter of George Macomber. Their children were Almira and Edward. See will this site, for George W. McCumber Estate; he named the four children of his deceased wife: William Ranney, Louisa Boomer, Lorinda Williams and Phebe Onderkirk.
a) Almira b 1833 Belleville, NY
b) Edward b 1836 Belleville, NY
Transcriber's note: the following Boomers were listed on the War of 1812 Master Roster, this site: COLLINS BOOMER, BENJAMIN BOOMER, EDWARD BOOMER and OLIVER BOOMER. Collins Boomer was a fifer in the War of 1812. See Capt. Ellis Feb-Mar 1813, this site. Oliver Boomer received a pension for his service, see 1812 awards, this site.
BOOMER, MATTHEW D. 1812 (no stone)
BOOMER, JANE WELD, his wife d Jan. 1, 1822 at 83 years
BOOMER, WILLIAM d Feb. 1812 at 74 years, 5 months
BOOMER, HARRIET, wife of Collins Boomer - may have been moved to Evergreen Cemetery
BOOMER, MATTHEW d 24 Jan. 1859 at 91 years
BOOMER, SARAH, his wife, b 1771 d 19 July 1853 at 82 years
BOOMER, COLLINS d 1866 at 77 years
BOOMER, HARRIETT, his wife, d 2 Feb. 1837 at 37
BOOMER, COLLINS, son of Collins d 22 Feb. 1836 at 37 years
BOOMER, MARY, mother of Collins d 8 June 1849 at 84 years
BOOMER, BRYANT, son of Collins d 16 April 1836 at 2 years
BOOMER, SAMUEL d 17 Feb. 1881 at 59 years
BOOMER, DELDEMIA, his wife, d 6 Feb. 1873 at 56 years, 7 months, 15 days
BOOMER, POLLY b 22 Oct. 1817 d 10 Sept. 1872
BOOMER, NELSON b 12 June 1809 d 14 Jan. 1894
BOOMER, EMILY, his wife b 3 Dec. 1812 d 3 April 1885
BOOMER, HANNA (See BARNARD)
BOOMER, HATTIE (See Bennett)
BOOMER, MATTHEW d 20 April 1884 at 62 years, 9 months, 18 days
BOOMER, JENNETT, his wife, d 8 Feb. 1903 at 79 years, 4 months, 23 days
BOOMER, FRANCES d 26 Feb. 1887 at 28 years, 8 months
BOOMER, JOSHUA b 29 May 1782; drowned 24 Nov. 1847
BOOMER, MARY, his wife, b 3 March 1786; d 1 July 1856
BOOMER, FRANKLIN J. d 8 Feb. 1878 at 28 years, 8 months
BOOMER, Nelson's daughter, HATTIE BENNETT buried on the Nelson Boomer lot; she d 15 Aug. 1845
BOOMER, E. FRANK d 9 May 1890 at 29 years
BOOMER, OLIVE d 18 April 1872 at 81 years
BOOMER, MARGARET, his wife, d 16 April 1883 at 93 years
BOOMER, LEAH, d 5 March 1883 at 72 years, 5 months, 6 days
BOOMER, CHARLES d 31 July 1876 at 24 years
McCUMBER, JAMES b 1780 d 15 March 1847 at 67 years
McCUMBER, MERCY, his wife, b 1780 d 10 July 1852 at 72 years
BOOMER, BETSY LEONARD, wife of WILLIAM d 19 April 1833 at 21 years, 11 months
BOOMER, HARRIET, wife of COLLINS BOOMER is also recorded as being buried in Honeyville Cemetery at Adams Center, NY.
From the 1850 Federal Census Mortality Schedule:
Luther Boomer age 77, b Mass. d Dec. 1850, farmer
Nothing is known of the whereabouts of Edward and Benjamin Boomer's burials or for that matter, Matthew Boomer, who married Jane Weld.
Copyright 2019 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page