Philip was born in Pomfret, CT and about 1775 married Mary (maiden name unknown) and the couple settled in Windsor and Williamstown in Berkshire, MA where 6 of their 7 children were born. The family then briefly moved to Wells, VT in 1793 where the 7th child was born. In 1796 they arrived in Litchfield, Herkimer, NY where they spent 8 years before coming to LeRay in Feb, 1804.
Although graves for Philip and Mary cannot be found, the assumption is made that in the 1810 Census of LeRay they are living in the household of their son Ezra. (The information for the family appears in the crease of the census page where it shows E??? C??? and the age categories and sex of the household members fits with the information I have discovered in my years of research). Ezra was listed as a resident of LeRay in both the 1820 and 1830 censuses but Philip is nowhere to be found.
The children of Philip and Mary were:
1. Philinda (1778-1821) married Luther Stevens. She apparently died in Brownville but no grave has been found.
2. Mary "Polly" (1781-1854) married her 1st cousin Nathan Cole (1779-1861) and the couple resided in LeRay until their deaths.
3. Anna (1783-1858) married Isaac Cornwell Jr. and they spent their married lives in Theresa.
4. Olive (1785-1843) married Barnabas Eaton and they resided in Rodman.
5. Philip Jr. (1788-May, 1804)
6. Ezra, my 3rd great grandfather married Venlora Stratton after her 1st husband, Lemuel Leach passed away in May, 1831. Ezra and "Lora" remained in Jefferson County until 1842 and eventually landed in Marion, Waushara, WI where they both died.
7. Sarah "Sally" (1793-1871) married Henry Govin and the couple resided in LeRay until 1833 when they permanently relocated to what is now Norwich, Oxford, Ontario.
Submitted by Randy Cole, British Columbia, Canada
Copyright 2020 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page