EATON GROW was born 16 Jul 1788, son of NATHANIEL GROW and SUSANNA DOW. He married LEAH WHEELER (daughter of JAMES WHEELER and RACHEL ________), who was born 23 Jun 1792 in Chesterfield Twp, Cheshire Co., NH. They married about 1812, probably in Jefferson County, NY.
In 1820, Eaton and Leah Grow lived in Ellisburg. By 1830, they appear to be caring for Leah’s parents, James and Rachel Wheeler, in Brownville. (His brother Alva was caring for father Nathaniel Grow; mother Susannah had died in 1814.) Eaton was a private in Captain Wright’s Co., 55th Regt. New York Militia during the War of 1812 (sometimes listed as Eaton “Grove”). By 1837, they had moved to Berrien County, Michigan, where Eaton leased land from Tyler Higbee, however the terms of the lease were onerous, and by 1840, Eaton had moved his family to Spring Prairie, Walworth County, Wisconsin.
By 1860, Eaton and Leah were in New Haven, Adams Co., WI. Eaton died before 1870, and the location of his grave is unknown. Leah was living with her youngest son, Oren S. Grow in Jackson Twp, Madison Co., Iowa in 1870. She appears to have died before 1880, but the location of her grave is also unknown.
Children of Eaton Grow and Leah Wheeler:
|1) Alonzo E. Grow||about 1813 (NY)||8 Mar 1864 (WI)||Lovina Merrick|
|2) Alvira M. Grow||1815-1820 (NY)||unknown||Caleb Lyman|
|3) Fanny Irene Grow||about 1818 (NY)||unknown||1) Elisha W Hunt 2) Charles Billings|
|4) Alva A. Grow||23 Feb 1821 (NY)||18 Jun 1891 (OR)||Catherine McCall|
|5) Chester A. Grow||11 Aug 1824 (NY)||20 Oct 1899 (IA)||Mary Ann Billings|
|6) Marquis Desalvo Grow||9 Apr 1828 (NY)||15 Jan 1907 (WI)||1) Adeline R Billings 2) Maria J Hosack|
|7) Oren S. Grow||17 May 1831||1 Dec 1913 (ID)||Catherine Billings (?)|
1) John Grow of Ipswich: John Groo (Grow) of Oxford, by George W. Davis, 1913.
2) The History of Chesterfield, Cheshire County, N.H., by Oran E. Randall, 1882.
3) 1820 US Census, Ellisburg, Jefferson County, New York.
4) General Land Office Records, Military Warrant No. 25.397, 120 acres to Eaton Grow, assigned to Oren S. Grow.
5) Berrien County, MI Land Records, Book G, pg 341.
6) 1840 United States Census, Spring Prairie, Walworth Co., WI.
7) 1860 United States Census, New Haven, Adams Co., WI.
8) 1870 United States Census, Jackson Twp, Madison Co., IA.
Submitted by Vanessa Herring, by email 4 September 2019
Copyright 2019 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page