WILKES RICHARDSON, Esq., was the son of Silas and Silence (Daniels) Richardson of Chesterfield, N.H., born in the town of Barre, Massachusetts, December, 1772. He married 28 April 1795 MEHETABEL CLARK, who was born in Keene, New Hampshire on 4 April 1775. The marriage occurred in Keene, Cheshire Co., N.H.
They moved from Chesterfield, N.H., in the winter of 1808 to Champion, Jefferson County, NY. There he purchased 300 acres of land, erected buildings, and made improvements. He lost all of his property by becoming surety for another man, whose debts he was compelled to pay. In the War of 1812, he raised a company of volunteers; became their captain, and participated in the defense of Sackett's Harbor, May, 29, 1813.
In the spring of 1826 he moved to Hermon, in the County of St. Lawrence, NY, and there passed the remainder of his life. He held various town offices, was a justice of the peace, and deacon of the Congregational Churches in Champion and Hermon. His death occurred on 22 April 1867. His wife, Mehetabel, died on 24 December 1863.
Children of Wilkes Richardson and Mehetabel Clark:
(Born in Chesterfield, N.H.)
1. POLLY RICHARDSON b 26 Nov. 1796; married 10 May 1816 to ASA WARE, of Keene, N.H.
He was born 6 September, 1795. They lived in Glover, VT, Stanstead, C.E. and in
DeKalb and Gouverneur, St. Lawrence Co., NY. Polly died 25 Jan. 1861 and Asa died
26 Sept. 1865, both in Gouverneur. They were the parents of four children.
2. GEORGE RICHARDSON, b 23 July 1797; died in Chesterfield, N.H., March 28, 1800
3. ABIGAIL RICHARDSON, b 28 July 1799; married on 2 Feb. 1825 to HEZEKIAH CROSBY of Glover, VT. The marriage was in Glover. She died 1 April 1830. They had no children.
4. GRATIA RICHARDSON, b 21 May 1801; married in Champion, NY, 15 Oct. 1820 to WARREN MURRAY of Denmark, Lewis Co., NY, born 12 Aug. 1799. She died in Denmark, NY on 15 March 1832.
Children of Gratia Richardson and Warren Murray: (Murray surname)
a)HENRY MURRAY b 18 Sept. 1822
b)CLARISSA MURRAY b 12 Oct. 1824; died 15 March 1832
5. SALLY RICHARDSON b 20 June 1803; died 20 April 1804
6. PHILA RICHARDSON b 6 May 1805; married on 25 April 1831 to HEZEKIAH CROSBY, of Glover, VT, who had been the husband of her sister, Abigail. The marriage was in Glover, VT.
They left two children:
7. RUFUS KING RICHARDSON, ( Captain) b 10 March 1807; married 16 May 1832 to 1)JULIA ANN WILLIAMSON of DeKalb, NY, born 8 Feb. 1815. She died on 3 July 1860 and he married on 19 March 1861 to 2)DELANIA C. FAIRBANK. Rufus died 4 August, 1872. By his first wife, he had eight children.
(Children born in Champion, Jefferson Co., NY)
8. ALMIRA RICHARDSON b 21 Feb. 1809; married in Deerfield, NY on 12 May 1839 to
HORACE HAILE of Hermon, NY, born 27 Oct. 1808. They were the parents of
9. FERDINAND RICHARDSON b 28 July 1811; married on 28 Oct. 1834 to LOUISA MATTISON of Watertown, Jefferson Co., NY. She was born in Clarendon, VT on 8 Aug. 1811 and moved with her parents at the age of eleven to Rodman, Jefferson Co., NY. Ferdinand was a farmer, and held the office of deacon in the Congregational Church for many years. He was an assessor, justice of the peace and an important member of society where he lived all of his life. Ferdinand and his wife adopted two children: Chase and Ida.
10. ALFRED RICHARDSON b 4 Feb. 1814 NY; married on 4 Feb. ? to 1) SALLY MARSH b 22 April 1812 in Vermont and 2)____. In 1852 he moved to Ohio with his family and from there to Iowa and on to Austin, Mower County, Minn. where his wife, Sally, died. Sally was born in Vermont and died in Mower, Minn., on 18 March 1868, daughter of Amos Marsh and Abigail Olin Marsh. From Austin he moved to Missouri, and from there to Kansas, and finally back to Austin, Minn., where he married for a second time. Alfred died in 1895 and is buried in the Oakwood Cemetery in Austin. His two children with Sally were Delania and Mehetabel. In the 1860 census of the Town of Brooklyn, Mower, MN, Alfred was age 47, b NY; Sarah was 47, b Vermont; Delina was age 20; Mehetable was 18 and John was age 14. Abigail Mehatable Richardson (dau); m 1) Stephen N. Chandler and 2)Inman J. B. Wright. she was b 1842 and d 1923 in Austin.
11. AMY DELANIA RICHARDSON b 19 April 1817; unmarried; d 22 March 1837
12. SALLY PAMELA ALLEN RICHARDSON b 9 Jan. 1820; married THOMAS BEAN, who was born in 1822 in New York, son of Thomas Bean of England. Thomas Bean, Sr. was in the household of his son in the 1860 census of Hermon, St. Lawrence Co., NY, at age 81.
She died at age 30. Mother of two children:
a)HENRIETTA BEAN b 1846 NY
Source: The Richardson Memorial, by John Adams Vinton, Pub. Portland, ME, Brown Thurston & Co. 1876' census records; tombstone records in Austin (FindAGrave); VIR in Vermont and Minnesota.
Copyright 2019 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page