JONATHAN SCOTT was born on 9 Sep 1778 in Rupert, VT, son of OLIVER SCOTT and BATHSHEBA EASTMAN. He married HANNAH WOOD (born 3 Mar 1784 in Middletown, VT) 14 Sep 1800 in her home town. Jonathan Scott first bought land in Ellisburgh on 5 Dec 1812. He is recorded as a Captain in the New York Militia during the War of 1812.Wife Hannah died on 3 Nov 1815, and is buried in Woodville Cemetery in Ellisburgh.
Children of Jonathan Scott and Hannah Wood
1) Ephraim Wood Scott b. 26 Aug 1802 (VT) d. 11 Jan 1885 (WI)
Married: 1) Sarah “Sally” Averill 2) Mary B Newell
2) Bathsheba Scott b. 29 Apr 1805 (NY) d. before 1810 (NY)
3) Orimal Brewster Scott b. 26 Mar 1807 (NY) d. 18 Dec 1896 (NY)
Married: 1)Adelia Lester 2) Sarah Ellins
4) Simeon Titus Scott b. 9 Sep 1809 (NY) d. 1810-1820 (NY)
5) Jonathan Eastman Scott b. 25 Dec 1811 d. 15 Feb 1896 (SD)
Married: 1) Lydia Howe 2) Lucretia Ellsworth 3) Miranda V. _______
6) Henry Dearborn Scott b. 20 Mar 1814 d. 8 Feb 1855 (WI)
Married: Rebecca T Hazen
In about 1816, Jonathan Scott married RACHEL WHEELER (daughter of JAMES WHEELER and RACHEL ________), who was born 3 Nov 1782 in Chesterfield Twp, Cheshire Co., NH. She had married first WELCOME COOK (Born 20 Sep 1785, son of JOSIAH COOK and LOIS ELLIS) about 1809 (location unknown). Sadly, Welcome died 12 May 1810, struck by a falling tree.
Child of Welcome Cook and Rachel Wheeler:
1. Laura A. Cook b. about 1809 (NY) d. after 1870 (MI)
Married 1) Benjamin Frost 2) Erastus P. Fay
In 1844, Jonathan and Rachel settled in Ottawa Co., MI. Rachel died there on 16 Feb 1855 in Georgetown Twp. The location of her grave is unknown. After her death, Jonathan lived with his daughter Hannah Calista Barnard, whose husband William owned the Barnard House hotel in Grand Rapids, Kent Co., MI. Jonathan Scott died there on 6 Feb 1861, and the location of his grave is also unknown.
Children of Jonathan Scott and Rachel Wheeler Cook:
1) Maria Bathsheba Scott b. 17 Aug 1817 (NY) d. 18 Mar 1872 (MI)
Married Liberty Tanner Beardsley (often spelled Bursley)
2) Asa Averill Scott b. 16 Aug 1819 (NY) d. 13 Dec 1853 (MI)
Married Lucy Irene Rawls/Rowles
3) Hannah Calista Scott b. 1 Mar 1822 (NY) d. 18 Feb 1902 (MI)
Married 1) Darwin E. Fisher 2) William R. Barnard
1) Portrait and Biographical Record of Muskegon and Ottawa Counties, Michigan, Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, IL (1893), pg. 526-7.
2) Vermont Vital Records 1760-1954. Available on FamilySearch.
3) Pedigree Resource File for Jonathan Scott and Hannah Wood. Available on FamilySearch.
4) Payroll of Capt. Jonathan Scott’s Co. of N.Y. State Militia in service of the U.S. from Sept. 9, to Sept. 23, 1812. Available on Jefferson County, NY Genweb site.
5) The History of Chesterfield, Cheshire County, N.H., by Oran E. Randall, 1882.
6) “Bible Record of Josiah Cook and Lois Ellis” National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 15, No.2 (June 1927).
7) Obituary of Asa A. Scott. Grand River Times, 28 Dec 1853, available on Chronicling America.
8) General records 1834-1856. Ottawa County, Michigan. Available on FamilySearch.
BPC: Revised copy sent to Nan Dixon 10 Sept 2019 by Vanessa Herring, email@example.com. Received by me 1 Jan 2020
Copyright 2020 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page