A detailed 1864 town MAP showing residents.
An 1864 map of The Hamlet of Rodman
An 1864 map of The Hamlet of Whitesville
1918 TOWN OF RODMAN FARM MAP
A list of POSTMASTERS in the town in existing and discontinued postoffices.
1810 Census - Town of Rodman
1820 - Census of Rodman
Town of Rodman 1890 Census of Civil War Veterans
Civil War Soldiers Buried in the Town of Rodman
1863 Civil war draft and exemption list
Family sketches from CHILD'S GAZETTEER for the Town of Rodman.
Child's Business Directory for the Town of Rodman.
Haddock's Family Sketches - Town of Rodman
Bartlett's Cemetery Inscriptions for the Town of Rodman.
Vital Records 1847-1849 for the Town of Rodman.
|Town Clerk||Website||(B)232-2522, (H)232-2475||Main St; PO Box 523, Rodman 13682|
|Town Historian||REBECCA STONE||(H)232-2486||21355 Co Rd 69, Rodman 13682|
Contact person: Debbie Quick
Early Settlement of the Town of Rodman from Durant and Peirce A History of Jefferson County 1878
A List of People who contributed information concerning the Town of Rodman in 1878 to Durant and Peirce's History of Jefferson County
History of the Town of Rodmanlinked from Shirley Farone's Home Page taken from CHILD'S GAZETTEER OF JEFFERSON COUNTY by HAMILTON CHILDS, published in 1890, transcribed by Shirley Farone.
History of the Town of Rodman, taken from A HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK by FRANKLIN B. HOUGH, A. M., M.D., linked from Shirley Farone's Home Page.
The Town of Rodman is one of the six southern towns, with the Towns of Worth and Lorraine on its south, Adams, the mother town, to the west, and the Town of Watertown on its north. Rodman borders Lewis County on the east. Rodman, first called Harrison from an early proprietor, was formed from Adams 24 March 1804, Adams having been created from Mexico two years earlier.
Settlements in Rodman at one time included Rodman village, Unionville, also called Zoar, and Whitesville, all located from west to east along Sandy Creek. Lesser centers were Whitford's Corners, alternatively known as West Rodman or Toad Hollow, and Tremaine Corners.
From the Watertown Daily Times
Sunday, 26 Jan 1997 page B5
. History references from
"Our Heritage: Town of Rodman 1801-1985"
Silas Stow, agent of Harrison and Hoffman, opens what is now Rodman for settlement at $3.50 per acre. Eight people settle there.
Walter Harrison Moody is the first child born there; he dies three years later.
First school is formed, in a barn.
What is now Rodman is separated from Town of Adams and named Harrison. The first town meeting is held and William Rice builds a sawmill in what will become the Rodman hamlet.
First church in region formed in the Rodman hamlet that today is the United Church of Christ Congregational Church, the lone surviving church in the town.
William Rice builds a gristmill in the hamlet.
The Lewis County town of Pinckney separates from Harrison. Harrison becomes Rodman, named after a popular state Assembly clerk. (Harrison had been sometimes confused with Harrisburg in Lewis County.)
First bridge built, over Sandy Creek.
Town population is 1,281, with 214 families, four gristmills and six sawmills, including one that operated 80 years in the Rodman hamlet.
A typhoid like disease kills 60 residents in three months.
Midsummer frosts and snow destroy crops.
Lotus Ingalls born in town. He would found the Watertown Reformer, which would become the Watertown Times, and purchase the Watertown Post.
Regular mail route starts to Rodman.
Town has population of 1,735 people, 490 horses, 4,312 sheep, seven gristmills, two carding machines, five distilleries and six asheries (places where wood is burned to ashes).
Population 1,702. Sawmill built on Gulf Stream that would saw 200,000 feet of lumber per year by 1890.
Frank W. Woolworth born in town; family moves to Great Bend in 1859. He died in 1919 with a $65 million fortune.
First Limburger cheese in United States made in Rodman (Jefferson County once had 40 Limburger cheese factories.)
Sawmill built on Fish Creek, one mile west of Rodman hamlet, that by 1890 would make 600,000 shingles per year.
First band organized in town.
Only a school, a cabinet shop and 12 houses remain in Zoar hamlet, once called Unionville. It had been the primary village in Rodman, with a church, school, hotel, two stores, shoe shop, furniture factory and two blacksmith shops.
Tremaines Corners on Route 177 has a post office and cheese factory.
East Rodman, formerly Whitesville, has post office, church, school, hotel, store, grist- and sawmills, cheese factory and blacksmith shop.
Rodman hamlet has two churches, school, hotel, creamery, seven stores, wagon shop, two blacksmiths, gristmill, tannery, post office and 35 houses.
West Rodman has gristmill and cheese factory.
Town makes 157,000 pounds of butter, 366,000 pounds of cheese, with eight cheese factories total.
First round silo in state to be used for storing silage is built in town.
Rodman has four cheese factories and 110 bridges, ranging from 10 to 140 feet long.
Lighting district for Rodman hamlet is formed.
Rodman volunteer fire department formed.
Last Rodman school--the Rodman Village School--closes.
|ACRES OF LAND|
|Number of Dwellings||340|
|Number of Families||380|
|Number of Districts||13|
|Working Oxen and Calves||1,200|
|Bushels of Grain|
|Tons of Hay||3,972|
|Bushels of Potatoes||11,964|
|Bushels of Apples||12,716|
|Pounds of Butter||181,235|
|Pounds of Cheese||121,325|
|YARDS OF DOMESTIC MANUFACTURE||2,179|
Names of the early settlers
BROWN, James Wilder
CRANDALL, William P.
FLINT, WILLIAM A.
|SMITH, JESSE |
STONE, CYRUS H.
TAYLOR, David (will)
TODD, DANIEL Jr
TODD, ENOCH L.
TRACY, WINSLOW G.
WOOLWORTH, Frank W.
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Copyright 2009 - 2015 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project